Pixie Hollow Dystopia

• Thread starter Synthetic Seraph
  • Start date
  • So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal snorted in good humors to Epic's antics despite the life-or-death discussion. "I KNOW you do. But if I fail then at least..." At least what? Kieara gets a second try at a raid - alone? And who knows, her talents might also tip the balance between the Cal's capture or the team's success. Yet what would Epic's unpredictable sounds do to their stealth in the darkness? "We'll plan more," the former hawk tamer assured. "Mmmm, you're not afraid of anything, are you." He stroked Kieara's cheek with the hand not squeezing the plump, squirmy Epic in place.

Kieara smiled. "As long as I'm with you I can accomplish anything." She reassured and smiled. Epic was in his own little world of fun and flitted his wings for the first time. Kieara at least wanted him to be able to let them stand like they should so she dipped her fingers in the dust and ran them base to tip straightening them.

"Oh wow. He's starting to look like a person, isn't he." Sure the baby was cute and the first of its kind, but it was also easy to think of as an eating, sleeping caterpillar grub. The wings and the extra sophisticated movements lately made all the difference.
The wing straightening reminded Cal of his own first flight in a spiral with Queen Clarion on the new arrival stage. Some honor. Welcome to the world, you magical unique snowflake - now take your place in the grinder, you cog. "You thinking what I'm thinking?" He grinned to Kieara, flitted his own wings in warmup while staying perched on the ground. "Let's do his first pretend flight right. Both of us - I wouldn't have it any other way." The fierce dad laid the infant outward, belly-down across both forearms, with plenty of room for Kieara to add her arms for support and balance too. Cal remembered to ask their nearest flying animal friend to scout for any other flying spies above, and then they may lift off with Epic in a bridge between both parents. "Between hiding in that cabin and trying to conserve dust and cope with him, it's no wonder we haven't taken him to the sky yet."

Kieara smiled. "I'd love to take him for his first flight. He giggled and kicked happily as his father laid him across his forearms. Kieara added herself to the mix, and with the ok from their flying friends, they took to the skies. Kieara suggested they ease him into it, so at first they moved a bit slower as they got him used to the feeling of no earth being below them. He seemed to absolutely love it. He squealed and laughed and cackled as happy as he had ever been.

This was no less natural than riding the faerie's chests throughout their own striding or flights; as far as Calamus knew, the height of the adults' hearts had been the sky as far as the previous newborn was concerned - not so much of a newborn anymore though; was infant still the right word? Calamus traded one of his forklift arms for a palm in the middle of the boy's back sandwiching Epic in place, applying the fingers to the wing bases to flap them up and down. Cal's caution made their twin movements ponderously slow like whale flukes compared to the adults' hummingbird blur, but the little one screamed happiness and tried to roll into the sky under his own power, which his father firmly prevented. The grown animal faerie grinned and deeply kissed his mate above the offspring of their union.

Kieara smiled amused greatly by their little Epic's antics. He was her pride and joy and flying up here so high with both of them made it all seem ok if only for a little while. She felt like there was no danger up here. If only a little bit of release, it was something. Epic continued to cackle and soon picked up on his father's movements moving his tiny wings in erratic fashions having just learned he could move them.

Calamus gave their little one completely to his mother a moment. With a rueful shrug he popped out another dosage of dust from their supply bag, enough to guarantee the baby's high in the air like the endangered cubs regardless of what his wings do. Yeah, it shortens the time he has until he -they?- have to make their raid, but to be able to play games like tossing their precious from one to the other, and to make their growing son feel like he's accomplishing flight all on his own, Cal's certain he made the right choice. He smiles sentimentally to the superb mother.

Kieara was happy with the choice. She smiled and helped him. Little epic squealed as he saw he could fly "on his own". He flitted his tiny wings and Kieara tossed him to cal. He flipped around in the air all the way over to the male animal pixie.

The fierce one raised his hands to his mouth and laughed as the youngster made his accidental roll. Cal caught him and did the same spiral, suspending himself on his back like a swimmer's backstroke with Epic balanced on his belly. The small hands wrapped around a single pointer finger each and that with the dust was enough to make the little one feel like he was not only flying on his own, he was steering Daddy! The peals of laughter kicked off gurgles that kind of had word bits in there - syllables in the random sound effects like vegetable nuggets in a soup. Cal asked his love if she was as impressed as he was with two firsts in one day, then wound the floating Epic like a slow motion baseball and sent him happily back.

((I AM SO SORRY! I thought I replied and just saw I didn't)

Kieara smiled and laughed at their little one. "I am absolutely thrilled." She said and caught the little child that came floating back over to her. She tossed him up a few times letting him float back down ever so gently into her arms, then she balanced him with his belly to her palms and sent him back to his daddy like a tiny airplane.

Reactions: Synthetic Seraph
(( Okay. Want these two to start planning the Dust raid? ))

Calamus helped that little joyful creature make the sky his playground until Cal needed to catch his breath and address the ache from his first wing exertion in how long. Lying back upon a flower like a lounge chair with his legs propped up and crossed. He let Epic orbit like a bumblebee and cheered out to his beloved above, "I LOVE HAVING YOU TWO AS MY-" He faltered, for the faeries who took form one at a time from baby's first laugh had no kin or word of their own for family, and allegiances were discouraged as distracting from the work groups. "YOU'RE MY KIND?" the animal faerie attempted.

Kieara smiled closely following the little bumbling toddler. She didn't want him to stray or get hurt. And she wasn't all that tired yet. She looked to Calamus when he spoke and burst into laughter at his reference. "Close enough, but how about next time we try family?" She asked him with a playful wink.

((sure))

His brow furrowed at the unfamiliar word - no faerie had had one before them, only allies or somewhat believable friends. The human camps, one poacher complaining how badly his family's debts needed the proceeds? Yeah, fair enough. "Babe, you could write your own language and I'd say yes to anything you said," the male purred. Cal rolled off the flower and caught himself in midair. He spiraled above, under and around Kieara and Epic and began guiding the roundabout way back to their home for the eve.

Kieara smiled at that and giggled. She held their little child so that she could guide him and still give him the sensation of flying at the same time. She followed after Cal but she saw a shadow cover them. She dismissed it at first. She was thinking its just a tree overhead. Wait.....they were above the trees. Then she chanced a glance up. She gasped when she saw a gigantic bird darting at them claws extended. A hawk. Of course she didn't know what one was. She had never seen one until not. She didn't have the time to fully dodge. It's claw came close enough to her that it slicked her side. Not bad enough for a serious injury but had enough for pain. And enough to rip her blouse. She pulled her child into arms and held him close.

A shriek split the air, equal parts fury and fear. Not his love. Not his son. Not BOTH. "I will never see you Faded!" Above the trees with Kieara frozen in shock, it couldn't get any worse except for if she'd already been ruptured. Cal beat his wings in a strain to catch up. The crucial moment slowed down as his mind homed in with fantastic clarity: the deadly hawk circling for its second pass, the curl of its open flesh-rending beak and the glint of the extended talons, the timing of its and his own course both converging on mother and baby who were still in one piece but oh so vulnerable.

Calamus tackled his love barging into her gossamer wings, hoping to drop the trio as quickly as possible from the raptor's streak then shelter in a knothole, tangle of tree roots, or burrow.

She had the wind knocked out of her by Calamus. She gasped for breath and suddenly was knocked back to her senses. She looked around at where they were going and saw a hollowed tree. She tugged them that direction and they were all inside and hid. The sudden movement spooked little Epic. Epic sniffles threatening to cry at the sudden change of scene.

Cal thought to himself, 'you earned that cry, kid.' But he kept silent and tickled the boy's chubby chin and thighs. Distracted, his gaze swept hurriedly over Kieara - her wings, her chest. Well she had continued flying into this place and appeared fine; there was hardly such a thing as a small talon scratch, just about all-or-nothing. He opened his mouth to speak, shut it and balled his fists as he racked through everything he knew of the predatory species. Not as silent flyers as owls, relying on eyesight to hunt, but he just didn't KNOW if they were in the clear. He quietly mimed cold shivers to the dual-talent faerie and spread his hands to wall up their refuge. Yeah, it was Summer, and they needed hard ice and not mere frost, but a few minutes of barricade before it melted may do the trick.

Kieara looked at him and understood the basis of what he was trying to say. She took a deep breath and rubbed her hands together. She then began to form ice around the hollow as a door. It soon was covered and she fell on her butt exhausted.

Cal gave a grin of relief, pushed with slight then increasing force against the barrier to feel its dependable sturdiness. "Great job. You keep 'cool' under pressure." Eh, someday she might laugh at him for that, even if the tired girl kicked at him for his rotten wit now. "I don't mind being barred in here with you," he murmured as he settled beside the ice and soothed Epic also. "Rather a nice break from Summer. And really, you did super. All three of us in one piece." His mouth ran away with him now that the crisis and adrenaline was whirlpooling out of him. One piece- he jerked up so quickly Epic clung in alarm at the sudden ride. "Any nicks?!" If there were a real nick she wouldn't be here, but...

She smiled a bit at his joke. She then winced though. Her side hurt her bad. She lifted her shirt showing him her side. The slight cut that went across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.