Pitch-Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lurch forward, my arms steadying her from falling. Instead, i shift her towards the chair watching her slump back into it. I sit down across from her, Lenani standing behind me. "Sit down before you hurt yourself further. I'm not here to do anything lest you make me. Barkeep, something to snap her back to her senses please."
He only nodded and headed back to the kitchen.

"So..freedom brings you drunkenness does it?" My tone was slightly derogatory, but also inquisitive. She had been free from her cell lest than a week, while I'd been locked to torture devices and a recovery bed.
The innkeeper brought a strong smelling drink and set it in front of Astrid.
"Thank you. Drink it..i want you fully here for what i'm to tell you."

Slumping in the chair, my legs feel wobbly and I struggle to lock down Torlan's swirling image. Finally, he stills and my eyes jump from his to Lenani's, who I glare at.

My fists clench at his sharp and accusatory question, but color also floods my neck. All I wanted was a little break. I don't need him to be up my ass about it. Irritation simmers in my blood and I wish to attack him both with my tongue and my fists. Since I'm still a little unstable, I hiss at him, "Go to hell" when the thick, green drink is set down in front of me.

My stomach lurches at the sight of the pungent smell of the liquid and I nearly lose the few contents of my stomach. Swallowing, I regain my composure and growl, "Can't you just leave me alone? I didn't come here to be interrogated. I came here to get drunk and thanks to your stupid buddy, my plans are all fucked up." A few of my words are slurred, but despite that, I'm quite coherent.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Shut up and listen." I had no patience for this woman right now. "My master wants you to know that he is asking for your help. He wants you to assist in taking out a competitor of sorts...and believes you might be interested."
Her words were still slurred, but she was competent to understand.

"He is prepared to pay you a fixed rate per day until the job is done. You fail..or you quit mid-job....and you will regret that you choose that route. So, are you in?"
She seemed to scoff.
"Why the fuckin hell would I be? There's nothing about this that i need!" She seemed to be slightly more alert now.
I smirked...this was the bait that hopefully would land her.
"How about a shot at Razor?"

Torlan's vague information piques my suspicion and I narrow my eyes while propping my head on my hand. I don't bother to cover a yawn that blows my caffeinated breath across his face. I can see that I'm getting under his skin with my bitching and I can't hide the grin that pulls up my lips.

A snarky retort dies in my throat at Razor's name.

"Razor? My Razor? The one that sent me into the palace?"

My voice is a shocked whisper and my palms dampen. Nervously, I wipe them against my jeans and keep them on my thighs. They quiver slightly and as much as I want to talk about Razor, I also want to push him far from my thoughts. I came here to get away from him especially but here he is, floating in the air in an exhale of trembling words.

Her breathed reeked of caffeine and alcohol..not the best combination. She was persistent in trying my patience, but i was stronger than she gave me credit for i felt.
I had no knowledge about the history between her and Razor..nor did i really care all that much. My focus was on the here and now.
"Indeed..YOUR Razor. You help us..and we help you get him. That's the deal."

From her reaction, it seemed she was either afraid of him..or respected him enough to fear what he was capable of. Whatever it was, the prospect of taking the fight to him...AT him..was a thought that seemed to interest her.
"So Astrid...what do you say? Are you in?"

His mocking tone when he says "Your Razor" turns my cheeks a bright red and I immediately regret my previous choice of words. I made it sound like we were more than partners and that we-

A shiver rolls through me as an arrangement of images flashes through my mind.

"Before I start agreeing to anything," I say, trying to regain my composure. I clear my throat and the burst of color in my face fades away. "I'd like to know more about who you work for. 'My master' doesn't do much to convince me that this thing is totally kosher. I'd like to know if I'm walking into some weird sex thing beforehand." There's a tinge of sarcasm in my voice and I grin, a laugh rumbling in my throat.

Honestly, I made up my mind as soon as Razor's name came out of Torlan's mouth. If doing this involves taking the bastard down, I'm all in. It's just too easy to fuck with Torlan that I can't pass it up.

I sighed. "You're funny. My master runs the Ortoki criminal syndicate. They are direct rivals to Razor and his squad." The mention of his name is filled with venomous words. "He has tried numerous times to put us out of business. Assassinations, bribes, nothing has worked for him so far. What he had planned for you in the castle in none of my business. All i was instructed to do was get you out and bring you to him."

Part of me wanted to just kill her now. She was a enemy of the syndicate, made a mockery of me and made no effort to hide her amusement at my expense.
"Whenever you are ready to go, i will bring you back to my masters estate, where he will give you more instructions."
I stood up.
"We'd get along better if i knew your name you know."
I couldn't tell if she was messing with me again..or being casually serious.
"My name is Torlan, protector of the syndicate and its leader."

Listening intently as he explains the syndicate, my eyes remain on Torlan's for the rest of the conversation, despite the other times where my gaze wandered off. I nod and stand up when he does, falling in step beside him. I hear Lenani's footsteps behind me and turn around to show him my dirt-encrusted middle finger.

When Torlan tells me his name, I don't bother to stifle my laughter. I actually throw my head back and laugh before nodding politely at the bartender as we head outside. "Is 'protector of the syndicate' a part of your name or are you just trying to impress me?"

Outside it smells like rain and I'm relieved to see that the storm has ended. However, the sun is covered with gray clouds, so it's relatively dark.

" I don't care to impress..but if you must know it is part of my official title." Glancing outside and seeing it grow darker by the second, i sighed heavily. " We shouldn't stay here. If Razor figures out you're here..he'll come with a force to take you back. Do you feel up to traveling in the dark? If you can't, then we'll stay here the night."
I wanted to hurry out of there. Every second made me feel more vulnerable.
"nevermind. Even if you were at full strength, if we got seperated on the way..that'd be worse than waiting here. Lenani, go find the others and tell them to regroup here in the morning to bring her to the base."
Lenani nodded and fled out into the darkness.

I turned to Astrid. " Might as well take a seat. Seems neither of us is going anywhere."

I sigh and trudge back into the tavern and this time slide into a booth, waving the bartender over. Again, I ask for coffee but more to keep myself energized than to shrug off any lingering alcohol.

My thoughts wander to Razor and my body goes rigid against the rubber encompassing the wooden booth. If he gets his hands on me, I know he won't hesitate to kill me. I spent four months fucking up his plan to kill the Prince and I lied to him every time he questioned when I was going to strike. Razor hates liars almost as much as he hates the royals. Taking deep breaths, I dig my heels into the floor, trying to turn the fear away.

Sighing, I look up at Torlan, gesturing to the seat across from me. "You gonna stay a while? I'm guessing you're paying for this, right?" I ask as the bartender comes back with my coffee and I take a sip. "I'm penniless at the moment."

He sighed as he saw the bartender look on eagerly. Suppose he's waiting for payment for those drinks. He reached into his tunic and grabbed a couple coins from a hidden coin purse, tossing them on the table. The bartender bowed, crossed over and scooped up the coins in his hands.
"Yes, i will be staying. We'll have to get a room and get settled soon i would think."

He grabbed some more coins and summoned the man over. "A room as well please. This should cover." Placing some more coins in his hands, he thanked Torlan and went to prepare the room.
"So, since i'll have you for company for the next good while..perhaps you'd like to tell me about yourself."

Status
Not open for further replies.