Pitch-Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Just wait," I smirked, " The poison should be taking effect any second now. It is strong enough to knock out even the famous Night Elves of the Forest. A mixture of elder berry and night lock." Sure enough, right on cue, the rouge's eyes widen and he begins to run in a desperate attempt to flee.

Lights dance behind my eyelids and I stir, the voices and clanking of armor blending into one loud noise that makes me groan. My eyes refuse to open and a sharp panic rises up in me. There's a dampness in my hair and I can tell that my head is bleeding from Lanius's blow. My arms and legs are stiffening, slowly becoming numb.

Dammit, don't fall asleep-

Blackness swallows me.

Reactions: 2 people
A slight moment of panic. Every rogue has them...even the best of our race. He got me..i got careless..sloppy..and now i was paying for it.
I calmed myself, figured i had..maybe a few seconds before i lost consciousness.
I gazed at the man, even as he grinned at me.
" Clever..very cle..v..er....."

I collapsed to the ground, my eyes shrouded in darkness.

I sigh, as does Lanius. He collapses shortly after we reach the infirmary. I decide to let Astrid go. I leave her a pack of food, water and a change of her guard uniforms, so she can be the adventurer she always wanted. She also got a shield and a standard sword, unpoisoned. However, I throw the elf, as I now know, back into the cell where Astrid was. The torturer, Lanius, in this case, would have some fun in store as revenge for killing his brother. Sadly, after a few days of torture, while the army was on a campaign, a group of his brethren hiding in the shadows took off with him. I hope that he would never see Astrid again.

I awaken in a room. Sitting up quickly, i moan..my head swimming with pain and dizziness. "please sir, you mustn't move." My eye slowly opens to see a maid standing over me. "what?" "I've been instructed to keep you in bed until you are well..then instruct you to meet the master in the meeting room."

With a slight bow, she exited the room. I groaned as i stood, learning very quickly that my clothes had been removed. I slipped my clothes on over my thin, ashen colored body. My silver eyes closed as i sighed and grabbed the rest of my gear and headed towards the meeting room.
I had a feeling the master was not happy.

I awake in a field of flowers with a glimmering sword lying next to me and a shiny shield on the other side of me. Sitting up slowly, I blink underneath the bright sunlight but other than my slight disorientation, I feel no pain. Weeds cling to my hair and I meticulously pluck them away and flick them back towards the earth. A backpack lies in front of me and is filled with food and water. As I open the back and see the supplies, guilt hits me. I sigh, closing the knapsack.

Jake. Wow. I knew he was a nice guy and all but letting me go and with all these things- I can't believe it. I can't believe the guards let him talk them into it, either.

My movements slow, I stand up and throw the bag over my shoulders. The sword's sheath follows and I carefully tuck the weapon inside of it, deciding to leave the shield. I've never needed one in the past so it's useless now.

My thoughts stray to the man that came to break me out. I wonder what happened to him. Shrugging, I survey my surroundings and start walking through the lavender field. My pace is slow since I have no idea what my next move should be.

As I walk, I realize that for once, I'm relaxed. I'm not on edge, am not being hounded by a psycho to kill Jake. Everything is peaceful and I intend to savor this moment of solitude.

I entered the quarters of the master, kneeling as i close the distance. "You wished to see me master?" He only nodded, then turned and slammed his boot into my face. I spiraled to the ground, a small trickle of blood flowing from my mouth. "I gave you specific instructions. Who told you to kill the interrogator!?"

I got back up and resumed my kneeling. "Sir..he might have interrupted me during our escape. I did what i thought..." "EXACTLY! YOU THOUGHT!!! I do the thinking of this organization..not you! Are you the leader!?" I shook my head. "No master."
He nodded.
"Correct..now listen close. Razor and his cronies are our biggest competitor. I want him killed..and i know that woman does too. Find her and have her help us."

I stood and bowed. "Where shall i look? She might be back in the dungeons by now...or escaped and on the run."
"Then you better start looking...because you fail again Torlan..and it will mean your head! You understand?"
I nodded and bowed once more.

"Yes master. I will find her."

After about an hour of wandering, my scenery mostly consisted of tulips and forests, I come across a secluded little tavern.

My lips pull into a relieved smile at the sight of it. There's some money in my backpack. Even though it's just noon, I could use a drink.

I walk into the bar calmly, throwing the bartender a polite nod. Shuffling over to a darkly-lit corner of the bar, I sit down at a table, hoisting my bag on the chair across from me. I survey the tavern, not surprised to see that it's empty. A radio softly plays music consisting of a violin and a flute. The tune soothes me and I have to compose myself once the bartender walks over.

"What'll it be?" he asks reluctantly.

I ignore his disapproving tone and reply, "I'll have a scotch."

He pauses. "That's all?"

"Yep."

While waiting for my drink, I yawn and prop my feet up on the table, closing my eyes. My energy's drained after my aimless walk.

"Fuck. Lanius , I randomly start to worry about her. What the hell. I can't stop thinking about her."

"Stop worrying about her."

"I can't" I emphasize with a sigh.

He looked away, thougtful." You know, there is one way you could stop worrying."

TELL ME!! I demand.

He sighs, "You're not going to like it."

As i exit the meeting room, i curse my luck. Her help or my hide? What the hell kinda deal is that!? Was this woman really worth all this effort for one man? Still, as much as he hated it, he had his orders. He'd have to find her..and sooner rather than later.
He had no clue where to start..or where she might be. Still, he had to try.
He brought together 3 of his trusted allies.

"You all have a picture of this woman. You spot her..you tail her and get word to one of the others or me soon as your can. She is not to be harmed or confronted until i say. Understood?" They all nodded silently.
"Good..you each have your locations of search. Kotaku, the castle where she was held prisoner. Lenani, the plains and outskirt villages. Feyhar, the southern rivers. Be swift and safe my friends."
All four of them disappeared in a flash.

After I've downed my second drink, Lenani walks in, scanning the bar in one swift glance. I only look at him for a moment, figuring he's just here for a drink or maybe a late lunch. His hair is pulled back in one sleek caramel wave and his eyes are an endless black.

My exhaustion has grown stronger and I'm feeling lethargic. I rest against the chair's back , throwing my hair into a sloppy bun. I usually hold my liquor quite well but these drinks are particularly strong.

Lenani walks closer to me and I look up at him again through whirling vision. He wears a leather jacket and I do a quick check for weapons. He seems to be without them. In one swift movement, he nudges my feet off of the chair they're resting on and sits across from me.

My eyebrow raises and I drunkenly say, "I'm not looking for company." Lowly burping, I rest my head on my hands, trying to steady my vision.

Lenani had begun his search for the woman on the photo. He started on the edge of the nearest plains, trying to find clues in the seemingly endless fields of flowers. It seemed that someone had been there recently, but there was no evidence it was the woman he was searching for. Not finding any hint, he decided to head to the outskirt village. he might get some idea if she came through there.

Arriving at the outskirts about half an hour later, he first entered the inn. His eyes immediately spotted the woman drinking alone in the corner. looks like her..better make sure. He approached her slowly, studying her features. He could clearly see that she was drunk, if not really tipsy. He tipped her feet off of the chair and sat down.
She lifted her head and mumbled something, laying her head down again. With that, i stood and exited the tavern, heading back to report to master Torlan about her whereabouts.

Watching Lenani leave, my eyes narrow in his direction. His silence and dark eyes creeped me out. My stomach twists with nerves and I return my gaze back to my empty glass. Ice cubes clink in it and I burp again, a cold sweat running down my back.

What the hell? The guy sits down like he wants to talk and just leaves-?

An image of Razor pops into my head and another wave of chills runs over me. Goosebumps run along my flesh and I cross my arms over my chest, seeking warmth.

Sharply, I turn towards the bartender, who's coming over with another drink. He sets it down in front of me, but I just shake my head even though the amber liquid awaits my mouth. Muttering something, the bartender picks the drink up and turns away.

"Hey-" I call, and he turns. "Did you know that guy? That just came in here?" My words stumble over each other, but my foggy thoughts are becoming more coherent.

The twenty-something man shakes his head, eyes filled with curiosity. "No. He seemed weird, didn't he?"

I nod. "Yeah." His thoughts match my own and I'm alarmed at him noticing how strange the guy was. I thought it might have been just me. "Do you have coffee by any chance?"

The man gives a slight smile and nods, heading back to the bar. The aroma of coffee beans wafts over to me and I'm immediately comforted.

"I still think this is ridiculous." I mutter as I step outside, all alone. "Where the hell am I going to go, anyways? How will I even find her?"

"Don't worry, I'll cover for you with the King." says Lanius, walking out behind me. "I have it all under control."

"Okay, Lanius, I trust you," I say, even though I barely trust myself. After all, how stupid is it for me to fall in love with a girl, imprison her, fight for her imprisonment, then let her go, and then chase after her like an adventurer, losing all the prince clothing and swords and stuff. Jeez, I really am losing my mind. Oh well.

I immediately begin a trek in the direction of the nearest town, heading straight through the forest. Oh well.

After a few minutes of me waiting silently, the bartender comes back over with my coffee and I graciously nod at him. Digging my fingers into my pockets, I hand him the last coins I have. He smiles and politely thanks me. My finger curls around the cup and bring it to my lips. It's black, the dark liquid swirling in the mug. Its heat runs down my throat, burning it slightly, but it doesn't stop me from taking another swig.

Outside, rain clouds have begun to roll in and as the first drop falls, I'm in no mood to leave. In minutes, the earth is washed in a downpour of rain and cracks of lightning split the sky. "Damn," I mutter, peering out the window closest to me. Mud chokes the ground. "Was it supposed to rain today?" I call, looking over at the bartender. He just shrugs.

Lenani returned to me and reported that he had spotted the woman in a tavern on the village outskirts. I rushed out and immediately began heading towards the location, Lenani not too far behind me.

To find her so quickly..I didn't know if it was luck..or fate. Whatever it was, it was guiding me in the right direction. I would get to her and hopefully she would accept the job we had planned for her.
The rain fell upon my body like a hammer, but not even this storm would slow me down.

Finishing my coffee, I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand. The bitter taste is stark on my tongue and I glance outside again, sighing. Still pouring. I consider leaving the bar, but where would I go? My initial plan was to get drunk now that I don't have Jake to protect. Unfortunately, Lenani's presence ruined my mood and creeped me out. Being drunk isn't gonna help me with anything if I'm attacked.

Sighing, I drum my fingers on the table, the caffeine supplying me with a new bout of energy. Once the rain lightens, I'll head out I guess. It shouldn't be too hard to find a place to stay- most apartments in the marketplace are abandoned.

As I wander through the forest, I crunch into an apple, my favorite fruit. The trek is long and arduous, and night begins to set in. I stop and hunt, quickly finding and killing a pair of rabbits with my sword. I start a small fire and start cooking the rabbits. All of sudden, a pack of wolves start to howl.

The rain has drenched my hair, my clothes cling to my body, yet i pressed on. The inn was in my sights and my heart raced. Entering the tavern, the lightning and thunder outside flashed, illuminating my body as i entered. The water droplets fell of my slick clothes, my eyes glancing around the room until i spotted her, sitting with a drink in her hand.

Lenani entered behind me, nudging me and nodding towards her. I nodded and began walking towards the table, my underling a little ways behind me.
"Hello Astrid. Do you remember me?"
I hoped that she would..she looked slightly drunk. If she did, it would make things so much easier.

As soon as my eyes lock on Torlan and Lanius, I immediately stand up, grabbing my jacket from the back of the chair. My cup of coffee falls from the table and in one deft movement I grab it, setting it it back down. Coffee drips down my arm in a brown river. There's a slight tremble to my fingers and I can't tell if it's from the caffeine or from seeing Torlan.

"Not you again," I snap, jamming my arms into the cool leather and trying to walk around him. My voice shows no sign of the apprehension wriggling in my stomach, but my heart continues to race. For a second, Torlan blurs in front of me and I stumble, trying to steady myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.