PatchWorld: Iteration - Sign-Ups and OOC

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Aero Blue

he hears his master's voice
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
Online Availability
5-11 EST weekdays, anytime weekends.
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Douche
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Superhero, urban fantasy, space opera, crime thriller, supernatural

I remember​

the curb where I scraped my knee​

swingset my mother pushed me in​

the stench of aeroplane fuel

overpriced cigarettes​

computer

phone​

family

llhgy1P.jpg

what if we can't go home again?​

This is the main OOC thread of Iteration, part of the PatchWorld Universe, and sister roleplay to Vanguard. Please make sure to read the Lore and World Mechanics, as they're essential to understanding the setting and its core conceit.

Which, if you want a short summary, is: "Players log into the most immersive virtual reality game of all time - not least because they soon find they're trapped within it."

Plot
Where Vanguard deals with a group of talented, intrepid adventurers wandering into the unknown of Altera, Iteration is the story of the stranded players left behind in the Hub-Kingdom of Thyrvald, a land of intricately crafted Non-Player Characters who assume the roles of labouring peasantry, ruthlessly competing middle-class merchants, and glorious nobility. It is a world of cut-throat, back-stabbing intrigue, a world of beautiful, heart-wrenching romance - it's fantasy.

But when the NPCs of the world begin to realize the strange, foreign natures of the players - themselves straining under the stress and fear of being away from their homes - the stakes are raised.

• MANUAL-RULES

• For visibility: I can always be contacted, through PMs here or on Discord. My Discord tag is Shizuochan#0445.
    • As always, Iwaku rules apply. Remain tasteful, remain appropriate.
    • And, deserving of its own section, remain courteous, remain kind.
    • The roleplay is set in an RPG, but is also decidedly not itself an RPG. Please don't god-mod, please don't powerplay - don't fret over the 'mechanics' as a matter of optimizing character power, do fret over them as a matter of understanding the system of the world, the lore, and achieving a narrative. Additionally, be cognizant of the fact that 'ITERATION' is not intended to be a straight-up action adventure, more an exploration of characters in a faux-world.
    • I am looking for anywhere from 4-10 players, with the understanding that sign-ups are not first come first serve.
    • Players of 'ITERATION' may have up to three characters, if they so choose.
    • Quality over quantity in posts, and that doesn't necessarily have to mean syntax and grammar. I will be endeavoring to give your characters as many opportunities as I can to exhibit agency - you should do so!
    • I'm not a speed-poster, although I'm still fairly flexible in that regard. Let's say, for now, that posting expectations are once every two weeks.
    • If you're gonna be inactive for a period of time, or simply opting to drop the RP, message me! I won't ask anything of you past that.
    • There may be influxes of setting-info, or pertinent npc info discovered in the RP - these will be updated in the Info Dump thread.
    • Tentative Deadline date for sign-ups will be December 1st.
  • CHARACTER-CREATION

This is a fairly base-line skeleton - if you want to jazz it up or add more info, feel free.

Character-Type: Player-Character/Non Player-Character ('NPC' here is in the context of the game-world of Altera, not in the context of this roleplay).
    [Real] Name:
    [Real] Age:
    [Real] Gender:
    [Real] Appearance:

(As your character's true selves are theoretically shrouded by their in-game avatar, the [Real] fields, as well as aspects of their personality and biography, can be hidden if you so choose. If you opt to do that, PM those sections to me instead. If you're playing a Non Player-Character, you can get rid of the [Real] tags.)

Username: Not relevant for Non Player-Characters.
    Avatar-Gender: Not relevant for Non Player-Characters.
    Race: Non Player-Characters are not necessarily limited to the listed 'Playable' races. Message me directly for more info.

Avatar-Appearance: I'd prefer some combination of written description and image - probably write out crucial details that can't be captured through the chosen image. [If you're using a picture: It would be kind of silly of me to blanket-ban anime pictures in a roleplay that owes much to the genre. However, I will say that I am looking for some degree of tonal consistency. This is passably acceptable; more realistically stylized facial features and life-like proportions.

Otherwise, realistic art and real-life face-claims will also do fine.]

Personality:
    History: [If you're opting to keep the character's pre-game history a secret, much of this can be fore-goed. Non Player-Characters should have a fairly detailed history.

Player-Characters and Non Player-Characters alike should elaborate on their social standing and relations in Thyrvald. Player-Characters of Altera were given enough of a stipend, and generally easily gained the know-how to count amongst Thyrvald's middle-class; although for a variety of reasons may have entered into the lower classes, or possibly even the higher classes. PM with any questions!]

[Players of 'VANGUARD' were heavily encouraged to be as detailed as possible in the following sections. However, as 'ITERATION' does not focus primarily on aspects of combat/action, you can be somewhat minimalist in filling out the following:]

Tier: Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced [A vague reference to how far along one's gotten in the game - a good indicator of character strength.]
    Primary Spec.: Here. [If you feel like you have an idea for a Spec that isn't covered, message me with it and I'll see if I can accommodate.]
    Secondary Spec.:
    Skills/Abilities: A variety of things could go here. Spells that the character considers something of a 'hallmark' to them, their own take on their given specializations, or maybe they're strategic thinkers, or good singers, or good cooks… etc.
    Equipment:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Joan