Operation KKK

Status
Not open for further replies.
The KKK is one of the longest running domestic terrorist groups the USA has ever known that has gone unchecked since its creation. True they have not been so active since most of their activities have become illegal, fact remains that the US still has homegrown terrorists. Calling them unsavory, I feel, is not even remotely adequate. These are the same folks who took great pleasure in the targeting and public execution of black people under the banner of white supremacy. Hacking may be wrong, but hell, maybe this will light a fire under the government's behind. Wait...hah, no it wont. I doubt anything will happen to the members either. This isn't the first time members have had their identities revealed. I dunno, I've no love for cowards who'd murder at will if the law still swung in their favor.

The KKK is one of the longest running domestic terrorist groups the USA has ever known that has gone unchecked since its creation. True they have not been so active since most of their activities have become illegal, fact remains that the US still has homegrown terrorists. Calling them unsavory, I feel, is not even remotely adequate. These are the same folks who took great pleasure in the targeting and public execution of black people under the banner of white supremacy. Hacking may be wrong, but hell, maybe this will light a fire under the government's behind. Wait...hah, no it wont. I doubt anything will happen to the members either. This isn't the first time members have had their identities revealed. I dunno, I've no love for cowards who'd murder at will if the law still swung in their favor.
Duuuude, I would be a liar if I didn't say that I personally find this organization and everything it stands for completely, and utterly evil and disgusting. I would also be a liar, if I didn't admit, right now, that there is a part of me that wants to see someone shut these motherfuckers down once and for all.

It's also very unsettling to me that there is a vigilante group growing in power and popularity choosing targets.

Reactions: Esmeray
Duuuude, I would be a liar if I didn't say that I personally find this organization and everything it stands for completely, and utterly evil and disgusting. I would also be a liar, if I didn't admit, right now, that there is a part of me that wants to see someone shut these motherfuckers down once and for all.

It's also very unsettling to me that there is a vigilante group growing in power and popularity choosing targets.
They (Anon) have done some pretty suspect things in the past and they do operate in a sort of moral grey zone, but I don't think that they have much in the way of genuine power. While they do act like a flash in the pan, they do little in the way of setting proper change into any sort of motion. As for their popularity, I think the nature of their current target is what makes them popular in this situation. I can remember when the Klan marched in New York City...absolutely disgusting.

I dunno, I've no love for cowards who'd murder at will if the law still swung in their favor.
In a way the Anon group is also just a bunch of cowards who take the lives of others in their own hands. If you think about it both groups have some stuff in common. Hence why most of us in the thread so far are pretty much "in the middle" about the whole subject. I don't really think Anon is as bad as the KKK but rather their plans for the KKK are kind of stupid. As Tegan suggested, they should focus their capabilities on something that is more progressive and may cause an actual change.

They (Anon) have done some pretty suspect things in the past and they do operate in a sort of moral grey zone, but I don't think that they have much in the way of genuine power. While they do act like a flash in the pan, they do little in the way of setting proper change into any sort of motion. As for their popularity, I think the nature of their current target is what makes them popular in this situation. I can remember when the Klan marched in New York City...absolutely disgusting.

They actually prevented a very powerful Mexican drug cartel from executing a hostage that happened to be a member of Anonymous. Basically, they said the cartel had until a specific date or they would begin releasing the identities and a bunch of other information of thousands of members of the cartel. The cartel actually released their hostage before the deadline, making it a notable example of the real world power Anonymous is capable of.

That said, while I do enjoy a dose of schedenfreude when it comes to assholes being brought low by a bunch of hackers, it is also very important to remember that while today they are going after universally hated groups, tomorrow it might be something close to you that you care about.

In a way the Anon group is also just a bunch of cowards who take the lives of others in their own hands. If you think about it both groups have some stuff in common. Hence why most of us in the thread so far are pretty much "in the middle" about the whole subject. I don't really think Anon is as bad as the KKK but rather their plans for the KKK are kind of stupid. As Tegan suggested, they should focus their capabilities on something that is more progressive and may cause an actual change.
I don't really think the way the two groups have "taken the lives of others into their own hands" is in any way comparable. Like...not even a little bit. Anon is no way close to being as bad as the Klu Klux Klan. Like...what?

I don't really think the way the two groups have "taken the lives of others into their own hands" is in any way comparable. Like...not even a little bit. Anon is no way close to being as bad as the Klu Klux Klan. Like...what?
I never said how much each one is bad, I mean I didn't specify so I don't understand why you are getting worked up over it. I said that I don't think they are as bad, but that doesn't deter from the fact that they are still bad and still practice something that is illegal (Just like how the KKK USED to practice shit that was illegal). I also wasn't comparing how each one has taken lives into their own hands, because that is stupid. Even then that still doesnt change the fact that they are a bunch of self righteous individuals ruining peoples lives. I was saying how some aspects of both organizations are similar, not the gravity of what they did. You shouldn't really read to much into what a person says...., like nobody came here to argue.

(Also I'm not trying to argue. Just clarifying what I was trying to say.)

They actually prevented a very powerful Mexican drug cartel from executing a hostage that happened to be a member of Anonymous. Basically, they said the cartel had until a specific date or they would begin releasing the identities and a bunch of other information of thousands of members of the cartel. The cartel actually released their hostage before the deadline, making it a notable example of the real world power Anonymous is capable of.

That said, while I do enjoy a dose of schedenfreude when it comes to assholes being brought low by a bunch of hackers, it is also very important to remember that while today they are going after universally hated groups, tomorrow it might be something close to you that you care about.
That's great that they succeeded in that operation and got that hostage out safe, but two points here:

1. Once the hostage was safe, did they release that information anyway and get the cartel taken down (thereby preventing future hostage situations or other violent cartel activity)? If not, why not?

2. Have they ever done that for people who aren't part of Anonymous? If not, why not?

I'm not trying to say they should get involved because honestly they're lucky they didn't get the anon in question killed. But if we're going to point out the good deeds of Anonymous, we also have to question whether these apparent acts of altruism are in fact altruistic.

Also, let's please not get in a fight over whether the KKK or Anonymous is worse. That is a dumb argument. Vio's point is that you can draw comparisons between the groups' behaviors, which isn't inaccurate.

Reactions: Brovo
It's almost as if this is some sort of...moral quandary that doesn't have an immediate solution.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Astaroth
Put on the coffee and put the POTUS on hold.

This is going to be an all-nighter.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I never said how much each one is bad, I mean I didn't specify so I don't understand why you are getting worked up over it. I said that I don't think they are as bad, but that doesn't deter from the fact that they are still bad and still practice something that is illegal (Just like how the KKK USED to practice shit that was illegal). I also wasn't comparing how each one has taken lives into their own hands, because that is stupid. Even then that still doesnt change the fact that they are a bunch of self righteous individuals ruining peoples lives. I was saying how some aspects of both organizations are similar, not the gravity of what they did. You shouldn't really read to much into what a person says...., like nobody came here to argue.

(Also I'm not trying to argue. Just clarifying what I was trying to say.)
Actually what the KKK used to do in the open was criminalized in the way that J walking is criminalized. From what I've come to understand about both groups, the differences between the two are stark enough that the similarities are negligible at best. One one hand you've got a group that used violence, terror and murder in order to reinforce the status quo and keep fresh a legacy of violence, terror and murder in the minds of people who had been oppressed for 200 or so years. Where as the hacktivist group is, in their own, arguably misguided way, trying to upset what they see as elements of the status quo which are oppressive. That's not to say that Anon gets everything right and that's not to say that what they do is right, but in this situation and when it comes to these two groups, there is a very clear "lesser of two evils". When comparing hackers to lynch mobs, yeah... Anywho, I'm not actually worked up, just talking to yah :)

They should do something a bit more worthwhile. Like exposing philanthropist millionaires to the publc for what they are, men that damage economies, pay people to cause riots and protest, and fund groups pushing for the economic invasion of Europe.

[spoili]It's George Soros.[/spoili]

Because yeah, sure, the KKK is racist and shit. Ever run into a Black Lives Matter group as a white guy? GOOD FUCKING LUCK not walking away without some kind of injury.

I spent three days at a Black Lives Matter event in downtown Detroit and walked away with new friends. That's not to say that no one who ever joined a social cause didn't do something stupid to hurt that cause's image. Everyone's experience is going to be different.

It's a stretch to equate those two groups.

But I agree with you that there are more worthwhile things Anon could be doing. It's easy to rush into a situation with shock and awe, expose someone for being a [BLANK] and then bailing. (Shit, I do that all the time in General.)

It's more work and more impacting to place oneself within a situation and actively work to make it better. Instead of hacking the KKK's database to expose these people, why not help their victims? Or organize peaceful events from within the community after earning the trust of both sides?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not to say that no one who ever joined a social cause didn't do something stupid to hurt that cause's image. Everyone's experience is going to be different.

NO. THIS IS GENERAL CHAT.

I WANT TO MAKE SNAP, IMPULSE DECISIONS ABOUT ENTIRE GROUPS OF PEOPLE, BASED ON LITERALLY ZERO EMPIRICAL RESEARCH, AND THEN ESPOUSE IT AS INDISPUTABLE FACT.

From what I have noted absence aside is that every kind of talk like so spirals down towards the "HORY SHIT BISH MY WAY OF THOUGHT IS RIGHT. IM INSULTED" etc. etc.
There are really bad groups in the world and I won't comment on it I think the main points were made on page number and to push something beyond that is unneeded and unwarranted.
My 5 cents on the whole topic. Please don't create Tumblr posts.

Oh c'mon anon. You are undoing Supermans hard work!

Cookie points to those who know of this.

• Love
Reactions: Darog
Status
Not open for further replies.