Of Monsters and Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was being nudged and jostled. Matt groaned. "Whateryouu waking meupfor?" he asked sleepily as Arianna demanded that he wake up. As with most dreams, his had already slipped from memory so he was confused. Arianna whined his name one last time and slipped from the cave. Still tired, Matt went back to sleep, dreaming now of nothing more than trying to hunt for his and Arianna's next meal. His sleep was light, however, and he woke again when Arianna returned, dragging what appeared to be a small sapling. He laid on the floor of the cave watching her for awhile before finally sitting up.

"What are you doing?" he asked curiously, pulling the blanket around his shoulders to ward off the cool, damp morning. Some things never changed. England's misty dampness was one of them.

He rubbed at his eyes sleepily before standing up. His stomach grumbled and he picked up a piece of the deer meat that was still left over from the day before. Then he wandered outside, needing to take care of his own business, mumbling that he'd be right back.

"Chewing a stick." she told him as he walked by.Arianna had set aside the stick that she had made and got back to the business of chopping at the sapling for more wood. Her powerful jaw snapped at bits and they cracked and flew all over the place. Most of the tree bent under the pressure and she growled at it. Holding it down and tugging a branch snapped and she tumbled backwards into the wall.

Shaking off the fall she ran back at the tree and pounced it. Holding it down and growling louder she chomped at it and clawed all its leaves off. It was torn apart in no time and she took a moment to catch her breath. They now had more fire wood. Most of it would snap and pop a lot since it was from a young tree but it was better than nothing.

Down the hill a soft scent filled the air and Arianna sat up. "Oh?" Looking towards the entrance to the cave she could hear someone coming. "Umm…" Nervous she ran into the very back of the cave and curled up hiding.

A soft pant filled the air as a young boy came into view near the caves entrance. "Phew... what a climb. Hey… Hey dragon….? You in there? Hello?" He boy called. His voice was anything but strong.

"I brought you this from my mom. She says thanks for ki… well… umm... just thank you." He set down a large basket of food and panted. Mumbling under his breath.

"Nothing is even up here and I'm not going in there, no way." He looked to be about 13. Dark brown hair and green eyes with an average build, a strong looking boy.

"Ok well back I go I guess. You better not come eat me with my back turned… I'm not like my father, I'd never hit a woman. I rather beat a drum instead."

Not having actually ever used the forest as a toilet, Matt spent a lot of time looking for a prime place to do his business. It took a lot longer than he'd meant it to, and he'd wandered a lot farther than he'd meant to as well. He started his long hike back up the hill, cursing himself for going downwards, though he hadn't realized that he'd been going downhill at the time and managed to catch himself in the compromising position of scratching his bollocks when he came across a boy of about thirteen. Flushing for a moment in embarrassment, Matt could do nothing but stare at the boy, then, getting over himself, he drew the sword and pointed it at the boy.

"What are you doing, here? Are you here for my dragon? Are you threatening her in any way? Cos if you are, you have to answer to me. And you'd be sowwy. I've beheaded a deer once..." He paused and eyed the boy more carefully. "Did you say you play a drum?"

He was thrown off by the boy's presence. And his selective observational skills weren't working today. Perhaps if he'd not been concerned for Arianna's safety he might have listened to the boy's words. As it was, there was no click to the pieces in the puzzle. Not just yet anyway.

The boy scoffed. "Eh, I've been threatened by that thing before. It doesn't bother me and neither do you. I came to bring that so called dragon a gift of food from my mom. But the cave is empty so I'm going home now. And yes I play the drum, and you are?" He boy waited with his arms crossed over his chest.

He was clearly not one to scare so easily and was rational and almost mocking. "Well? You don't look like you're from here and if you are well you must be hiding because I've never seen you." With every word he spoke the boy did not once did he take his eyes off Matt.

The cave was empty? Matt frowned, concerned. He tried to scoot his way around the boy to peek inside the dark entrance. He couldn't see Arianna but if he listened carefully he could hear her slightly labored breathing. She was in there. This kid was just too scared to go in. Matt turned back to face the kid, his blue eyes gaze equally as intense.

"You can't just demand to know who I am without telling me who you are you little brat."

The boys words were starting to sink in now though. Why was his mother bringing Arianna a gift? How many people knew about her?

Matt lowered the tip of his sword. "I play guitar..." Actually, Matt was unsure if it was even called a guitar in this era. Maybe. But probably not. He probably sounded like an alien to this kid.

"Speaking of aliens..." came the familiar voice in his head. Matt froze, his eyes locked on the boy in front of him, trying to mask the fact that there was an alien talking to him in his head.

You pick the worst timing you know that?

"Oh you know, I told you I'd come and check on you in a few days! How's the past treating you? Is it properly miserable? Who is this kid?"

How long have you been here? he asked, ignoring all of her other questions.

"I saw you trying to use that tree as a toilet that was rather entertaining...!"

Matt couldn't stop the flush that tinted his cheeks. Why do you insist on perving on me? Go away.

Matt shook his head slightly and tried turning his attention back to the boy. "My names Matt, who are you?"

"Are you trying to make friends oh that's precious. Can I please shoot him with my laser? I haven't properly killed anything in ages...! I miss it. This one isn't important is he?"

Matt's jaw twitched slightly. everyone is important. Leave him be.

"Hey kid, why don't you come in the cave." where it will be safer "You can meet Arianna. She's really nice. You don't have to be afraid."

"You want me to follow you eh, Matt? Sir? Into a cave where there could be a dragon waiting to eat me as it did my father? Are you mad? Do I look like a fool? I maybe just a child to you Sir but I will be fourteen in three weeks and I plan on making it till then thank you very much." He huffed and looked at the cave with pure curiosity now.

"Arianna, you said Arianna? You mean it has a name?" he was dumbfounded. "They don't give dragons names and it's a girl? Are you sure? Hey how do you know so much you must be a wizard?" Now he did look a bit scared.

"You going to give me a tail and ears or something if I don't listen is that it?" He nearly whimpered now. Is it trained to eat people? I won't taste good I promise." Looking from Matt to the cave and back he swallowed hard.

"I knew coming up here was a bad idea. I'm sorry I looked in on you I'm sorry." He looked back at the cave and then to Matt again. His imagination was playing games. Shaking his head to make them stop he panted.

"Ok, alright, alright. I won't hurt you or it, I mean her, and the dragon Sir just don't let it eat me. My name is Duncan." He looked back at the cave again and then heard something in the trees beyond them and the tree snapped and fell over for no reason. It was like it was chopped in half by no one. It was very strange. He jumped.

"What?" Looking around he didn't know what to do. "I… um… um… what that?" It happened again and this time closer. A zap sound very close to him this time and he jumped again.

"Ok, ok I'll go in the cave." He turn and ran inside. The moment he saw Arianna he stopped then fainted. He passed out cold on the cave floor.

Matt had to chuckle a little bit. This kid reminded him of himself in a lot of ways. Headstrong. Defiant. Scared underneath. He felt a warmth toward this child. Of course he would have to protect him. And Matt would prefer not having to expose such a young child of this era that both aliens and dragons exist in the same day. Information like that could have some pretty serious reprocussions for the future.

"I'm no wizard, twust me," Matt said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "I'm just a normal person."

"Oh please can I please give him ears and a tail..? Oh that would be so much fun...!"

Don't, Gaga. Let him alone.

The alien giggled. "Oh this will be so much fun!"

Matt chewed at his lip nervously. This kid was getting scared. Scared of him and scared of Arianna. "Duncan, I'm not gonna hurt you and neither is Arianna. I pwomise."

Well, he couldn't exactly make a promise for Arianna but he was pretty sure she wouldn't hurt a child. Surely she would be able to know a child from an adult.

There was a crack and Matt glanced up, catching sight of a laser. He sighed. Stupid alien. She aimed another laser closer and Duncan ran into the cave. Well her lasers couldn't penetrate the rock do he'd be safe in there.

Is that really necessary?

"Of course it is! I love messing with you- Oh Matty no don't go in the cave too... Ill have to come down there if you do that, you don't want that do you?"

But Matt was already going back into the cave. He needed to take care of the Arianna and Duncan.

"Oh fine. I'm coming down there anyway...! This will be so much fun...!"

Arianna heard the boy fall and crept out to see where he had fallen. She was all curled up with her wings covering her head that she had missed seeing him fully. Sniffing the air she could tell that the boy was a bit dirty and in need of a bath. He also had been around farm animals and had eggs for breakfast. Sniffing more she slowly got up and moved towards him. Was he dead?

"Matt? Matt?" She called out. He had to be close by. Why did this little two leg thing come into her home? They never had before. Only the big ones came to yell at her or throw rocks in. Stepping back from the tiny human she didn't know what to make of it. Maybe it was a trick and it would jump up and scare her.

"Matt? I think it died? Matt where are you?" her tone clearly reflected her fear now as she went back to where the fire was. The child was between her and the exit. Maybe that was a trap too. If she ran around it bigger ones outside would get her.

A whimper escaped her as she curled up around the fire. Softly she blew flames on it to make it brighter and bigger. That made her feel a little safer.

"I'm here," Matt assured Arianna as he stepped into the cave. He glanced over his shoulder to see if the alien would materialize in the forest. So far there was nothing. "Honestly, there's no real danger..."

It's just a stupid alien...

"It's just a kid...he's not dead..." Matt said, going and kneeling next to Duncan. He's only fainted. Just like me. Matt smiled a little half smile. He poked Duncan's face a few times. "Hey, kid, wake up."

As Duncan began to come to, Matt helped him sit up. He paused though, as suddenly Duncan sprouted fox ears and a bushy tail. A little giggle could be heard and Matt groaned, turning to face the entrance of the cave where the alien's tall silhouette could be seen. He stood up and approached her, speaking in low tones so Arianna and Duncan couldn't hear.

"Leave. Turn him back to normal and leave. If you're going to do nothing more than ruin their lives then what's the point? It's me you're always after anyway."

"Yes but it bothers you when I mess with other people's lives!"

A pained expression crossed Matt's face. He glanced back into the cave at Arianna and Duncan.

"Turn him back to normal so he can go home..."

"Why should I do that? You've made it so I can't go home. It's only fair."

"No it's not! He's done nothing to you!"

"I'll take you with me!"

Matt stepped back. "No. I have things to do here, now. You've already stopped me from getting my album done. Don't stop me from getting something else finished."

The alien reached toward Matt and he dodged her touch.

"Don't touch me."

She moved fast though and grabbed his hand, pulling him close. Immediately his head began to spin and his knees went weak.

Well this is embarrassing. Prepare to be completely humiliated in front of Arianna and Duncan, Matthew.

The alien had a special power on Matt. She was in love with him, and because of this, her touch could make him weak with pleasure. It didn't matter that he did not love her back. Her touch could make him feel like a teenager in love. Heart racing, weak knees, quickened breath, and could leave him shaky for hours afterwards. And for someone who loved him so much, she was bent on ruining his life. As far as Matt was concerned, she was creepy and insane.

"Perfect!" the zeta giggled, then leaned forward and kissed him. Matt immediately fainted and she dropped him to the floor of the cave unceremoniously.

"There. Now he's out of the way," she said, grinning at Arianna and Duncan.

Arianna saw Matt fall and stood up instantly hissing at the alien. Duncan didn't know what to make of it all but thought of the two evils he would try his luck with the dragon. At least they were thinking alike in that something as very wrong about the guy just dropping like that.

"Get away from me." He shouted to the alien as he ran past Arianna into the very back of the cave where it was darkest. Duncan was so scared that he hadn't notice his ears and tail yet.

Glaring at the alien Arianna did nothing about the boy just yet and simply walked towards the alien. Her eyes full of rage. Her wings out stretched at she roared as she had with the hunter. No one could hear what she was thinking. No one was there to try and stop her rage or her hate towards this thing that seemed to have killed her only friend, her only companion. The only other person or thing that understood her and that promised to help her.

Fire brewed within her and not but a second later flames shot out at the alien. Over and over Arianna blasted jets at her and with the second one she was into a full run. The cave rumbled with her heavy foot falls. Dirt sprinkled the ground and rocks fell loose. Lucky for Duncan that he was in the back or he would be dead and lucky for Matt that he was behind the alien or he too would have been torched. Arianna had skill with her flame but the heat was something else. She had gotten a lot better with her aim.

Her tail smacked the walls as she roared again and hissed at the alien. She would rather die with Matt then let this thing leave her alone. She had been alone for far too long as it was. Arianna could feel the distant ring of space and stillness from the being before her. A strange vibration of outer life unknown to thing she had ever felt before.

A second later she felt a flicker of Matt's warmth and only then did she know he wants dead. "MATT GET UP!!" she screamed to him.

"Mommy!!" Duncan cried from the shadows. Arianna felt danger for the child and turned back to see him.

Torn between the two she snapped at the alien and clawed violently at her snagging Matt's foot ripping off his shoe. "GET UP OR YOU WILL DIE TOO!" she screamed again.

She clawed at him again as she tried to protect herself and the child. Arianna wanted to try and save Matt but the void that stood between them was something she had never felt nor faced before. It made her ill.

Duncan was huddled in the depths of the cave covering his ears humming and trying to sing to himself to calm himself and block out the noise. Arianna heard him. She thought to herself. "That's right sing it's going to be ok. I don't know you but I won't kill you. "Arianna forgot that Matt could hear her too. "Sing sweet one, it will be ok, you'll see."

There was a searing heat that filled the cave, and that was what woke Matt. He felt dazed at first, unsure of exactly what had happened, but there was screeching noises and commotion. He sat up and squinted toward the bright flashing light. Two were speaking to him at the same time. Arianna, insisting he wake up or he would die. And the alien, bewildered and amused.

"You choose this as a friend, Matty? Yet you reject me? This violent creature? I've never been so violent."

This was untrue, of course. The alien had a long history of violence, even toward Matt. He'd once gotten in a fist fight with her, and had been told later that he'd been lucky to survive. As it was, the fire didn't seem to be bothering the alien. Much.

"You've scorched my outfit, you stupid dragon. And fried my hair," the zeta said to Arianna. In one movement, she backhanded the dragon and the force behind her hit was strong enough to throw off Arianna's flame, unfortunately, it blew a lot closer to Matt than he was comfortable with, and he could feel the heat from the flame burning his skin. He rolled and dodged the flame.

"Don't hit her!" Matt cried at the alien, staggering to his feet. He quickly observed the situation, spotted Duncan in the far back corner of the cave. Between him and Matt stood Arianna, and just to his left stood the zeta, who was in no way backing down to Arianna's fearsome roaring and flames. And just behind Arianna's front claws, Matt could see his sword what had been lying close to Duncan, earlier. He dodged at it and grabbed it's handle, scraping it across the floor with a shower of sparks and spinning to level it at the zeta. Arianna blew another flame and he bravely pushed the tip of the sword into the flame so it was glowing hot.

"Leave," Matt said, his tone steady as he approached the alien with the hot tipped sword levelled in front of him. "I don't want to hurt you."

"That's cute!" the alien giggled at Matt's sword and blinked her eyes against another one of Arianna's breaths of fire. "This creature is irritating. Like an annoying fly." She swatted at Arianna again and knocked her sideways.

"Hey! Don't hurt her!" Matt shouted. "I'll falsetto," he warned.

"Matty, why are you sticking up for such a violent creature? You like it! I think I'll shoot it," she said, pulling out a laser.

Immediately, and without further warning, Matt took a deep breath, difficult to do with all the smoke in the cave, and let out a high pitched, piercing note, holding it for nearly thirty seconds. The alien immediately dropped in pain, curling into a small ball and holding her hands over her ears. "Ow! Stop!"

And then she was crying. And Matt could only stare, feeling a genuine ache that he'd hurt her. She slowly pulled herself to her feet and glared at him. "You've made me very angry, Matty," she said, drawing her hand back and hitting him across the face, sending him flying. "I'll be back. I think I'll go back to your time. I'll kill Dom. And there won't be a single thing you can do about it. Oooh I just love being properly evil. Ta for now!"

"No!" he cried, but she'd already disappeared. Tears threatened to fall and his rising panic caused his chest to rise and fall rapidly. He looked around the cave. She could never make a quiet entrance. Ever. She always had to wreak havoc when she showed up. As if there wasn't enough going on as it was. And she always picked the worst times. Not that there was ever a good time for her to show up. It just seemed like she would pick a touching moment, or an incredibly important conversation, or the best was when he was just about to get laid. She would just show up.

But she was gone for now. And it could be weeks before she showed up again. Or only a few days. It was very unpredictable with her. He knew she was probably still watching though. He bit his lip against his fear. He desired nothing more than to curl up in a ball and just deal with the onslaught of emotions she'd brought on for him, but he had to make sure that Arianna was okay and that Duncan was okay. He stood and carefully sheathed the sword, unaware of the large bruise that was forming on the side of his face.

"I'm weally sorry…" he said to the room of the cave in general. "She's a pain in the arse…"

Arianna was panting and looked disgruntled after being hit by the alien. Huffing she padded back over to the fire and plop down. "I hate her and next time I see her I'm going to eat her then throw up." Coughing after her statement and then coughing a few more times Arianna felt drained. Lowering her head to the cool cave floor she let her eyes close. Duncan was still in the back and if it wasn't for his sudden yelp one might have forgotten he was there.

"I have a tail and… and… ears!" Duncan cried from the back and ran towards Matt. "What have you done to me? It's a spell I know it. Am I dreaming? No this is a horrible nightmare. I need to wake up. I need to wake up and it will all be over. That's all." Closing his eyes real tight and then pinching his right arm with his left hand Duncan tried to wake himself up.

"Ouch!! Why didn't it work?" Duncan took to holding his new tail with worry written all over his face. Looking over at Arianna and then back to Matt he blinked and swallowed hard. "So I'm not dreaming am I?" His gaze went back over to the spent dragon and he felt sorry for her.

"Will she be ok?" He seemed to have forgotten about his tail as it dropped from his hand and he started towards Arianna. "She really did save me didn't she? That woman or thing was going to kill me wasn't she?"

Duncan looked up at Matt and already knew the truth. His new ear twitched and he sighed. Rubbing it with his now free and still stinging arm he tried to think of what to do. "So should I go home and tell my mom you're a wizard or just stay here? I don't want the whole village to come after you and the dragon. That wouldn't be fair. She saved my moms life and now mine,I owe her."

Looking at Arianna he seemed to really care for her and want to take care of her. There was something there pulling him towards her. "Can I pet it? I mean her?" Duncan asked softly. His tail flicked as he hoped he would get a yes.

The whole time Arianna just rested. Exhausted from the whole ordeal she was going to need lots of rest and a good meal very soon.

Matt released a heavy sigh. Arianna had exerted herself, just as she had with the hunter. And now Duncan thought he had cast a spell on him. He could feel them looking at him. Waiting for answers and he didn't have any. Arianna was making death threats toward the alien and Duncan thought the alien would have killed him. It was, of course, hard to say if she would have or not, but Matt was pretty sure she wouldn't have killed anyone. She often made such threats and never followed through. And she had to be mighty angry to actually go through with it. Angry maybe like she was now. But usually much angrier. Really, she was relatively harmless...for now. At least in his experience. And she wasn't all a bad person.

Matt could only look at Arianna, tired and slumped near the fire. And Duncan, wanting guidance. How could Matt give guidance when he had no idea what to do next? He needed to be alone. To think and Arianna needed food. He would hunt for her.

"You can stay with the dragon. She won't hurt you. She's my friend. And if you want to pet her I'm sure that would be okay. I'm going out. I need to hunt. Don't follow me." Matt's tone was somewhat flat; commanding and slightly cold. It wasn't that he meant it that way, but he was trying to think ahead of the situation and tenderness was not his priority. He stepped out of the cave without further ado and immediately felt better. It wasn't that he disliked Arianna or Duncan but he'd felt slightly suffocated in that moment. He could see where he might even enjoy hunting for the solitude that he sometimes required.

He wished he had another way to hunt than with a sword, however. He wasn't swift or smooth on his feet and to hunt with a sword required stealth. He wished he could have some long range weapon and gasped suddenly as he remembered the bag that hung on his hip. Maybe it had a bow and arrows in there... He pulled the bag off his belt and checked. There was a bow and arrow in there and he kissed the air as a thanks to Orei. Then he wondered, if the bag held everything he needed, what if he needed food for Arianna and could save himself the trouble altogether. He poked his head in the bag. "Give me a deer," he said, but nothing materialized. Of course it couldn't be that easy. The bag had it's limitations. While it held plenty of human food it didn't hold food for a dragon.

"Fine," Matt mumbled. "I needed the solitude anyway." He made his way deeper into the forest and practiced shooting a tree a few times to test his aim. Despite his clumsiness, he could aim fairly decently. He'd had enough practice with defense against zetas. Satisfied, he set about hunting.

Duncan watched as Matt left and then turned his attention over to Arianna. "Ok, so you're not going to eat me right?" He was asking her but saying out loud to boost up his courage more than anything else. "I can do this." Walking towards her in little steps he approached her.

Sitting up Arianna watched the boy. Her tail curled around her side and he jumped back. Covering his head he waited for the blast of fire but none came. Opening his eyes since he had shut them tight he let out a sigh of relief. "I'm still alive? Oh good. Ok… Hello I'm Duncan. That's my name."

He started to talk to her as though she were another child or friend from the village. Duncan was now about a foot away from her. Slowly he reached his hand out to pet her snout. "May I pet you?" He asked softly. Tilting her head to one side Arianna sniffed his hand and snorted blowing air over the child making him gasp then laugh.

"Wow…" he was awestruck. "I won't hurt you I promise. I don't breathe fire or even had a stick. I do have a tail now. It's not as nice as yours however, see." Reaching around his side he showed her his new tail and sighed hard.

"I can't go home now and my mother is sure to worry. I don't know what to do. I have ears too." Arianna looked him over and nudged his hand since it was close and he jumped back.

"Oh!" he laughed. "Wow your strong." She blinked and he stepped closer once more. Blinking at him she nodded and he gasped. "You can understand me?" Arianna said nothing and only blinked one more time.

"No I'm sure you don't. How foolish of me." Letting out a sigh he turned around and then Arianna licked him. He jumped and right as he did the tail and ears dropped off. They fell to the floor and he spun around. "They came off!" Looking at him she almost giggled.

"You're magical." He was amazed. Now completely drained her eyes closed and her head dropped to the cave floor.

Running to her side he pet her. "Thank you… Thank you…"

Matt didn't return back to the cave until nearly nightfall. He'd had very little success in his hunting and only brought back two rabbits and a badger. The badger had been a trick because he'd aimed poorly and only injured it. And badgers by nature are grumpy creatures. Matt had managed to get a decent bite on his hand from it before he could kill it properly. And then he'd gotten lost. Finally, after wandering hopelessly in the most definite wrong direction, he'd gotten a sign from Orei and got back on the right track.

"I'm sorry," he apologized profusely to Arianna. He knew she needed more than this, especially to help gain her strength back. I'm not good at hunting. And I never saw a single deer. It was the best I could do.

Feeding Duncan would be less tricky. He had the bag with it's magical replenishing foods. He pulled out a loaf of bread and a few apples and carrots and offered them to Duncan. It took him awhile to notice that Duncan's ears and tail were gone. "Hey, you're not a fox anymore, how'd you manage that?" he asked while digging in his bag for a bandage for his bleeding hand. Lesson learned: don't piss off a badger.

"She licked mphee." Duncan spoke with his mouth full of bread. He was very hungry and missed several meals. Arianna took up a whole rabbit and said nothing. She just watched the boy and then looked over to Matt.

At long last she spoke and when she did it was very soft. Almost weak yet something in her tone told him there was some weight to what she was saying and truth.

"He has to go home. His mother will be looking for him if they aren't already searching. He cannot stay unless you ask his mother first." Blinking slowly with a very sleepy gaze Arianna turned her head and watched Duncan gobble up another apple and flick the core into the fire pit.

Her wings spread out as a blanket then she curled up. "Thank you Matt, thank you." Nudging Matt with the end of her snout she softly gave him the best she could for thanks. Lowering her head she tucked herself up a little more and dozed off.

Duncan watched her and then turned to Matt. "You're lucky that your bite isn't worst, you might get sick."

Matt listened as Arianna spoke. He frowned. She sounded so weak and tired.

I know. I know he does.

Matt was curious suddenly and turned to Duncan. Arianna had wanted to know if he was the only one who could hear her. "Did you hear her?" he asked the boy, pulling out another loaf of bread from his bag. Duncan seemed very hungry, so he handed him more food, careful to keep his bloody hand off of it. Once he'd given Duncan more food he found a bandage and started wrapping the bite.

"I'll be fine," he said. "I'm tough."

He patted Arianna's snot and acknowledged her thanks. "We need to get you home, kid. I'm sure your family is worried."

Duncan looked up at Matt. "Hear what? What she said you mean? Well she told me to sing so I did. At least I think it was her. It might have been my mom or my grandmother. I'm not so sure any more, I feel like I hear things all the time." Smiling up at Matt he kept eating and thought nothing of it.

The ears and tail soon vanished all together and he didn't think about them again. "I've been known to take off for a while and I'll go home after this. Well no I better go now your right." He stood up and brushed off some crumbs. Walking over to Arianna be touched her head softly and pet her.

"Thank you." Kissing the top of her head and then stepping back he smiled and started out the cave. "Don't worry I won't say anything. I'll just say I hit my head or something. I do that a lot too."

Duncan jumped down the ledge that lead away from the cave as a breeze came in. "Hello Matt are you alright?" Orei appeared before him in all her slender beauty. "Did you miss me?" Smiling she walked towards him.

"You need rest. Please sleep in the back, you will find a bed in that bag. Take proper rest. No harm will come to you or Arianna, nor the boy." Caressing his face she looked into his eyes.

"Matt you have done very well, please rest."

So Matt wasn't the only one who could hear Arianna. So that was that. It was a normal thing for people to be able to hear a dragons thoughts as long as they were listening. When Duncan said that he disappeared for awhile Matt wa half tempted to ask if he was some distant relative of his, since they had so much in common. But he realized what a strange question that would be, so he kept his mouth shut. He worried a bit about him going home at night but he said he was thirteen, an as far as Matt was concerned he was old enough to take care of himself. He clearly knew the way, as he'd gotten himself there.

Just as Duncan left Orei appeared. Matt gave her a tired smile. "I'm okay. I'll rest after I read some more of this dragon book. I'm supposed to help her fly so I gotta figure out how to do that. And then I have to figure out were I am on this map. So I have to figure out how to do that. Then I'll rest." He paused. "After I eat something. Cos I haven't done that yet either."

"You are going to rest." She told as her hands caressed his cheeks. Moving towards him so quickly he didn't have time to even blink she kissed him. Embracing him as well she hugged him into a fall towards the bed she promised was in the bag. It had materialized behind him. Softly she set him down on it. The warmth of the cave consumed him. A blanket covered him. The pillow welcomed him. All the comforts of a normal human home came rushing back to him. Cozy and complete his rest would be. The bliss of a real bed with blankets warm soft and clean.

Kissing his forehead she stepped back. "You are no good to her or yourself spent and weak. Confused, frustrated or ill Matt you know this." Looking over towards Arianna she nodded. "I'll tend to her now. You, rest. You will learn to fly too."

Walking towards Arianna the soft breeze whispered sleep towards Matt. A privacy screen appeared and a room was formed for him. He had his own space within the cave. Private, quite, clean and warm his own sanctuary.

Orei went to Arianna and bent down petting her head softly she softly hummed to her a tune that soothed her. Calmly Arianna let herself go. Her wings relaxed even more. Her breathing calmed and she was put into a trace if you will. Lulled into a calm state that gave her true rest, the one she needed most.
Orei stayed with them until the sun came up. Keeping watch over them in her silent power of grace and protection. When daylight came she slipped away like the timid shadow on the wall. A small robin hopped its way into the cave chirping. Its little noise filled the cave like a time alarm clock. Not by any means annoying just a chime to wake up Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.