Of Monsters and Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was most certainly a young dragon. Matt was certain of it now, and he felt sympathy wash over him for the young thing. He, found a stick and prodded the fire, rekindling it so it was warmer. Then he scooted closer to her and looked into her eyes.

"I have bad dreams sometimes too. What was your dream?" he asked.

"I could hear them coming at me again" She looked at him and sighed then looked at the fire. "They come sometimes." Arianna sat up and looked towards the entrance and then back at the fire.

"Not tonight. No." Clawing at the ground she looked worried and even scared. "I dont like it and hope they dont come back."

"Your not going to take me down there are you?" Looking at him with some fear in her eyes she waited. Her wings folded back. "I feel your different and I dont want to be wrong. But I might be, I dont have my clan to say if I am or not. I dont know so many things. I cant even fly"

Sighing again she curled up and looked at the fire. A log fell and started to go out but she blew on it and set it ablaze once more. In seconds it was glowing orange and that made her feel a little better. "I can do that" Her tone was a little more cheerful.

"Who's "They"?" Matt asked, wondering if she was speaking of other dragons, or maybe even humans like himself. She asked if he was going to take her somewhere, so he presumed that she meant other humans. She looked slightly frightened of him and he realized that they both seemed to be a little frightened of each other. Well that made him feel a bit better.

"I'm not going to take you anywhere," he assured her, holding out his arms. With what would he take her with? His brawn and might? Matt was scrawny, on the underfed side, and he wasn't much for working out, not feeling it was ever terribly necessary. He had no weapons. Just him, the clothes on his back, and the items in his pockets: a cellphone and wallet, both useless out here, a lighter from Dom, a crumpled piece of foil and a little notebook and pen.

The dragon rekindled the fire with her breath and Matt watched in awe. "All I ask is you keep that away from me, and I think we can be friends."

"So you won't try and trick me?" she sat up and looked at him and leaned forward just a bit. Her eyes searching his for truth like never before, peering deep into his soul almost as if she could read into him like no one had ever done in his life. Settling back she nodded after confirming her own thoughts before he could even reply.

"Ok, and no fire, I promise." She giggled softly covering her snout with one claw before she started yawning again.

"Matt. My first…." She yawned and blinked. "My first friend…" Arianna's head lowered once more and she fell back to sleep. This time she really did seem to rest easy.

Matt blinked as she peered his eyes. It was strange, because it was usually he who used such a penetrating gaze on people. He didn't shy from her gaze though. He'd spent enough time turning his intense gaze inward and facing even his darkest parts. He really didn't have anything to hide from her. "I won't try and trick you. Besides. I'm only good at little harmless pranks on friends. I don't have the capacity to come up with some grand scheme..."

He watched as the dragon curled up and went back to sleep. He blinked heavily a few times, and soon, he too was asleep.

Morning came all too soon and when it did she was gone. At some point while he had been sleeping Arianna had left the warmth of the cave seeking out her next meal. In the early morning hours the forest was hushed with a soft layer of gray mist. Birds slowly waking began to claim the day with calls from the tree tops to the brightening skies. It was becoming another glorious day.

Somewhere down in the valley a whomping sound filled the air and followed by the scattering of birds forced into sudden flight. Cries and calls of upset ripped apart the calm morning as Arianna took down her kill. A few cries and one faded yelp than silence. A heart stopping breath held silence that made the whole forest seem to have stopped moving or even breathing all at once.

Nothing moved for the longest moment. A slowly breath of a wing came rolling over the tress tops as the morning winds came in from the East and breathing was renewed to the valley. Birds regrouped. Thudding towards the cave was Arianna with another fox in her maw.

Matt was awake when she returned. The silence being what woke him. The cave had cooled significantly as the fire had died in the night. And the dampness from outside drifted in through the opening. Matt shivered upon awakening and sat up, stiff from sleeping on the hard rock. He stood, stretching and prodded at the dead fire. He still had Dom's lighter in his pocket, luckily, so he found some more kindling and restarted the fire, then went and stood outside of the mouth of the cave and overlooked the valley. He hadn't waited long before he saw the dragon returning with a fox dangling from her mouth. She was a good hunter, it seemed. That was good, because he had no real means of hunting for anything, except maybe berries. And he didn't really know what was edible and what was not. The only thing he'd be able to find successfully was hallucogenic mushrooms and that hardly did any good out here.

Padding towards him she adjusted the load in her maw as best she could and nearly dropped it. A snapping sound followed as more limbs broke inside her kill. "Hello, your awake now. Are you hungry? I got one today see."

It was clearly an achievement for her and she proudly marched past him and into the cave. Dropping the fox next to the fire where it flopped over.

"Do you like it?" Looking over to him hoping he would like it.

"It was fast today and I almost miss him but I go him, yes, yes… I did" Lowering her front half she laughed and then let the rest of her drop down with a thud.

"I like the soft part." Patting the back of the fox, Arianna meant the fur and her form of patting was a bit rough.

"I eat the inside. Do you want some?"

She started to claw at its underside and opens the creature up. Licking at it keep it clean inside her cave. Carefully and with fine skill she used her claws to peel the pelt off the fox

Matt grimaced as he watched her gut the fox. The smell that came from it's belly was strong, but he supposed it was that way with any sort of wild game. He wasn't exactly an expert in hunting or dealing with the animal once it was killed.

"Good job," he said weakly, looking away. "I don't think that's enough meat for both of us..."

"Oh…?" Her head lowered as she hadn't thought of that. "Ah…" she tried to think of a way to fix that. "You walk like they do but you promise you won't hurt me or trick me right?"

She looked at him as she tugged the fur off all the way and flung it away. Then flopped the fox near the fire to let it cook. "I mean you won't let them get me right?"

Padding towards him her wing flexed and folded along her back. She stood not to much higher than he was. A soft thud followed each of her steps. "I can take you to get food for uprights like two legs like you."

"You mean go to the village?" Matt caught on right away. He paused to think about this but knew that was probably a very good idea. He could hide easily enough. He was good at that. And he could steal too. "No I won't let them hurt you. If you can take me to just outside the village and hide, I should probably be okay once I get in there..."

Nodding to him she looked toward the entrance. "It's between the two hills over that way." Pointing with her snout and padding out she lead the way. "They know when I come. I don't know how." Clawing at her snout and eyes she sniffled and coughed forcing out a bit of fire and smoke. A chunk of the fox's fur came out along with a few bones. Licking her chops she shook her head.

"I hate when that happens. I must get better at that" Looking back at the dead animal she longed to eat it. "I show you but you have to come back and make sure they don't follow you ok." Worried she looked him over. "Promise you won't bring them back?"

Leading him out towards the village Arianna waited for his reply as the sun climbed into the sky. "We have to hurry. They like to make noise in the day and you can hide easy when they make noise and find food." I will wait back closer to home ok but not to close. Please… I don't like night you have to come back before its dark. If you don't I can't wait. I can't. I'll be in my cave and you will be on your own."

"I pwomise they won't follow me," Matt said, his speech impediment shining through for a moment. "I'll do my best. And I'll be back before dark. If I get caught or anything, I just won't come, okay? Don't worry about me. I'll take care of myself if that happens," he said with firmness, though he had no idea if he actually could or not. Well that wouldn't happen. He wouldn't get caught.

He walked with her toward the village and waited with her, perched at the edge of the forest, looking at the two hills where the village lay just beyond. He ran a hand through his hair and suddenly paused. He'd stand out like a sore thumb with his unnaturally bright red hair. He suddenly wished dearly that he had some sort of hat.

He glanced at the dragon. She seemed very nervous. He wondered why she was so afraid of the dark. What could she possibly be afraid of? What was there in the forest that wasn't afraid of her? Other than maybe humans, but why would they be in the forest at night?

"I promise I won't let them find you," he said again.

Arianna watched him run his hand through his hair and giggled. "You need this" She licked his head and almost knocked him over in the process and giggled. His hair instantly changed color to a warm brown. He would fit right in.

"Is that better?" Blinking at him she lowered herself as small as she could get and balled up behind a large boulder. "I can see you but you won't see me ok." Looking at him she almost smiled.

"Once I'm better at my, oh um… what's it called again…" She thought real hard and looked around as though the answer were written on a stone or the trunk of a nearby tree. "Oh I don't remember but once its better I can go with you. I can change my shape too."

Beaming at him she swished her tail and flexed her wings. "I will someday but for now you have to go alone and umm could you bring me back something shinny?"

Matt looked back at Arianna and then nodded, starting his way between the two hills toward the village on the other side. He could hear the hubbub of the village before he could see it, and crouched behind a tree to observe before entering. The style of dress was much different than what he wore. He wrinkled his nose. If he hid well enough he wouldn't need to worry about clothing… would he? It might be a good idea for him to get a hold of some period clothing, even though the majority of the time no one would see him. He wrinkled his nose again.

No.

He kept low and moved lightly on his feet as he entered the village, keeping close to walls and ducking behind rain barrels, trying to be sure to stay out of sight. Finally, after observing one particular cottage for almost forty five minutes, he darted in. Apparently no one worried much about thieves in this era. Well, all the better for him because he'd been reduced to one.

Finding a basket, Matt went straight to the family's food supply, loading it as fast as he could. He turned, studying the area. He wasn't sure if he needed it but he grabbed a blanket off one of the beds. Something shiny caught his eye and he remembered Arianna's request of bringing back something shiny. It was a sword hanging on the wall. Matt had to drag a chair to stand on in order to get the sword, for he was too short to reach it otherwise. As he pulled it off the wall he was alarmed by the sword's heavy weight and it fell to the floor with a loud clank. Matt froze, afraid the loud noise had attracted attention. After a few moments of silence, he sheathed the sword and slung it over his shoulder, hunching against the weight.

Ugh… I probably won't even be able to use this thing.

Realizing that the shiny thing was not for Arianna but for himself, he searched the room again for something for her. He could see nothing straight off and decided he would give her the piece of foil in his pocket. It wasn't like he had much use for it anymore, here.

With that decision made, Matt made his way out of the cottage, peering carefully around to be sure that he wouldn't be caught. Then, when the coast seemed clear, he took off at a run wanting desperately to get out of the village. When he reached the spot where Arianna was, he was panting heavily and the bouncing movement of the sword while he'd been running had made his back especially sore. He gave the dragon a crooked smile, and dug the foil out of his pocket for her.

"What's all that? Oh are you hurt?" Looking him over she was worried but glad to see him. He got back just in time as his hair turned bright red again. Giggling she flexed her wings and stood ready to go. "Oh!" Eyeing the shiny foil she did almost a little dance with both her front claws patting at the ground in a cute pit pat fashion.

"Can I have it!" she was ecstatic. Looking at it and then to him her eyes were wide. After a moment she noticed him struggle and tried to focus on helping him too but it was hard.

"I can carry that for you." Arianna offered him seeing him struggle with his load of odd items. Two legged creatures carried such strange things. They seemed to need so many things. Things always got in the way.

"Oh its shinny..." She was so distracted and excited she couldn't help herself. Arianna giggled with joy.

"I'm not hurt," Matt said stubbornly, shifting the sword from his right shoulder to his left, the weight of it clearly weighing him down. He hoisted the basket of food and the blanket again. "And I can carry my stuff by myself. It's fine."

Matt watched as her eyes followed the foil, completely captivating her. He carefully remolded the foil into a ball. He carried it in his pocket always for emergencies. Emergencies such as when his alien tried to use mind control on him or someone near him. He didn't know if he would need it here or not. He had some weird gut feeling that his alien had put him here for good, that she'd gone and forgotten about him and he wasn't where she thought he was, she would throw massive, life threatening fits, kill one or two of his closest friends to get information, and then, when that was unsuccessful, sulk for days.

Matt frowned at this. Well, the foil would be nearby with Arianna if he really needed it...

He tossed the foil in the air. "Go on, then," he said.

"YES!" she cried out as she jumped up into the air and grabbed with her maw. Holding it between her teeth she was happy as could be but when and landed it was with a heavy thud. Her landling scared some birds from their nest and they made a horrible racket.

"Who goes there?" A voice called. With foil in her maw she froze.

Arianna looked at Matt and lowered her head. She shouldn't have jumped. Tucking her wings back and holding still she tried not to be scared but it was very hard. "Its him. Oh no Matt. Im scared. He is going to get me. Oh no" she was terrified and looked at him. "He is mean."

"I know you there you big lizard. You stole from me not but a week ago, now you're going to pay for it!" The man's voice was nothing more than a growl by now.

Arianna took off in a bolt off through the woods smashing down two saplings as she went. The man laughed at her. The shiny foil spun and bounced around on the ground into the grass forgotten as she fled.

"There you are, you big lump!" He laughed and took off after her on horseback. He would catch up to her on in no time. She ran and ran. Knocking everything over as she went. It was a mad scramble as she went. Yes she was a dragon but she was small and scared. Arianna wasn't sure of her own skill and humans scared her to death.

She wasn't going towards home that would be foolish to lead him to her home. Arianna was heading to the coast and away from the village all together. The salty air was sharp as evening was rolling in with heavy clouds. Rain was a promise now and this hunter was right on her tail.

She'd dropped the foil. Matt grabbed it and shoved it back in his pocket. Then, without further question he took off running, trying to follow them. The basket was heavy though, and between that, the blanket and the sword on his back, it made running awkward. Matt set the basket and the blanket down, figuring he'd have to cut his losses on it, but shoved as much of the food as he could into his pockets.

Their path was easy to see. The dragon had a wide area of destruction, so he knew where she'd run. Unfortunately, he knew that meant that the man on the horse could find her easily too. And he wasn't sure if he'd be able to get to her on time. What good would he be on his short little legs when both the dragon and the man on the horse were moving at speeds more than three times as fast as he could run?

But he would try. He started running as fast as his legs and the heavy sword on his back would allow him, out of breath after only the first few metres he'd run. Blast he was out of shape. But he would keep pushing. No wonder she'd been afraid of him before. She was being hunted. Well she'd helped him. So he was going to try his damnedest to help her too.

A quick glance at the sky told him he'd be getting caught in the rain. Again.

Always. Always getting myself caught in the rain.

The clouds lived up to their promise of rain and when the droplets hit the ground and leaves alike the earth was slapped with chills that gripped a man by their bones. Puddles claimed the once lush green undergrowth and now the soft meadow looked more like a bog or marshland. Sopped with rain and weight down by mud the man jumped off his horse and slapped it back on home. Letting out a neigh it took off in a flight to get warm and dry.

It made a mad dash through the trees back towards the village. The man however kept going after Arianna. "Come on out you over feed lizard. I know you here! I'll take your head and mount it on my wall you beast!" He roared.

Arianna had stopped running and was keeping to the larger bushes. The sun was in no need of setting as the clouds rolled over and smothered its rays. A blanket of gray covered the sky. Scared to death she looked for a way out. "Matt… please help me, I don't want to die. What do I do? My mummy did tell me what to do." She asked him hoping he would hear her.

Status
Not open for further replies.