Of Cowboys and Kings

[bg=#5E2217]
Varkas

Looking down at her hand as she closed his around the guitar pick, he tilted his head slightly, and took another drag from his cigarette. Tucking his head, he tucked it into a shirt pocket under his coat, and then from inside he pulled something else. Extending his hand once more, he opened his palm. In it was a small wooden crucifix that seemed to have been carved masterfully. It seemed he was offering a trade for what she'd given. Lifting the out stretched hand to reaffirm that he wanted her to talk it, he did nothing else for a moment. A second later his then opened the palm of his other hand, holding his cigarette betwen his index and middle finger. Along the inside of his glove the word 'Tartarus' was stitched. He then used that hand, and pointed the thum to himself as if indicating that was who he was. Varkas then pointed to her, and rolled his hand asking her what he name was in his current form of speech.

He didn't know who she was, and she obviously wasn't a usual here... she seemed like she might be famous elsewhere, but not on Moraz9. She didn't smell like crime, and that was a nice change in his mind. Perhaps there were some normal people around these parts... it wouldn't kill him to start thinking positively now and then... would it?
[/bg]

Celons left ear twitched. Was a slave deal going on right now? In public? He downed his drink and turned on his bar stool. A human was showing off his steel, not a bad piece. It was obviously not an actual revolver, but that didn't matter. Celon drew his own pistol. It was a 500 magnum designed to look like an old colt navy revolver. Celon leaned against the bar, the pistol hanging in his hand. He wasn't a fan of slavers. the whole idea of slavery appauled him. It did not occur to him that what the woman was trying to rescue the girl, the drink he had consumed was not allowing him to think clearly. He took in a deep breath, hoping things wouldn't get ugly.

As Antony turned for the door, grinning at his latest prize, Dillon couldn't help but let out a long, appreciatory whistle, giving Careen an aside glance with his cloudy eye. Wasn't good for much detail, but good enough for the general shape of things, well that is to say, the shape of her. He cocked his head to the other side, following Antony with his good eye before brushing himself off, pushing himself out of the chair and turning both his eyes to Careen.

"Well, lady, you do know how to put on a show." He said, with a not-as-skull-like grin. He kept that grin going, even as he could see with both eyes that there was hardware on either side of him, which made where he was a bad place to be. But, then again, what's a dead man got to worry about getting shot? At the very least it would give him a definitive answer as to how dead he was.

Klaani was silently watching the other occupants of the bar again when she had spotted one that she had seen before. THE ONE WHO SHOT HER TARGET! She set her glass on the bar and narrowed her large glowing blue eyes upon the other alien as she pushed herself away from the bar, stalking towards him. She was intent on making him understand how much money he had just cost her. And then she saw a flicker of light and movement, he had taken out a weapon.

Really?

She sidled up to him in the next seat, snaking her hand out and stilling his gun before he could react. Her eyes were so narrowed and filled with anger that it was almost tangible.

"Calm yourself... Things will work out their own without your help. Don't go nosing your gun into everything." She snapped at the other alien before exhaling a long-held breath while she took her hand away from the gun, but keeping her eyes on the idiot. "If you're going to go around shooting up the town, at least wait until they're out of public eye. Are you daft?" She asked sharply before finally looking over and watching the scene as well. "It looks pretty damned fine. Nothing to worry about. Though, we're going to have a problem if I hear that gun of yours going off again. You've already cost me quite a bit of money, you piece of shit, I needed that guy alive for a vengeance job." She snarled under her breath.

Klaani then got up and walked over to the bratty human girl and her apparent... 'new purchase'. She came a little closer than she needed to, unsure of what that idiot might do with that gun. And if this girl had money, she'd rather not let her get killed. "Hey, Move away from the shitbag. Fucker at the bar has an itch in his triggerfinger for that one. I don't want you getting your fool-ass killed." She grunted while grabbing both girls' arms and moving them slightly away. They were so SMALL. Humans were TINY little fuckers.She felt like if she stepped on one of them, they'd die for certain.

After pocketing the guitar pick she insisted he keep, he pulled out a different item. It was a wood carving of a cross with such beautiful detail. She looked at his face before looking back at the crucifix, then nodded and took it from his hand. Now that she held it, Anny could look at it more closely. It was probably the nicest gift she's gotten in a while... This differed from the usual bouquet of flowers, the teddy bears and whatever else her fans gave away.

"Thank you! Didja make this, um..." She paused to look at the stitched name he showed her in his glove. "Tartarus?"

Now, she realized that he must have been incapable of speaking. She didn't allow the growing sympathy she was feeling show on her smiling face. Being unable to talk, not to mention sing, would kill her inside.

"Annette, but I go by Anny," she told him. It was nice to finally talk to somebody that wasn't drawing a gun or shouting something violent. She was beginning to think that this planet was just crawling with maniacs! "Pleased to meetcha."

[bg=#5E2217]
Varkas

Nodding to her question, Varkas took another drag from his cigarette and again exhaled it from the corner of his mouth away from the woman. At the mention of her name, he nodded once more closing his eyes, and mouthed 'Anny' though no words, or sounds came from his lips. The motion did however reveal a slight glimpse of the scar that went along his throat, and chin. Drawing her name in the air with his free hand's index finger, he finished it with slight roll of his hand, and tapped it gently against his forehead before opening the same hand out towards her. His attempt at implying that it was a beautiful name, for a beautiful lady. He'd forgotten just how difficult it was to portray words.

Extending that hand out, he offered it palm up as Anny greeted him. She was certainly pleasant, and so far, the thief was enjoying the friendly conversation immensely. He had no idea when he'd be talking to someone again, so he was eager to make the most of it, and have the moment shine brightly in his mind through the tough times he knew was ahead of him.
[/bg]

Sold! Careen had just bought her first slave. The grin on her face was ridiculous, but at least she looked like a satisfied customer and not some idiot trying to pull a con.

Careen was just leaning forward, about to whisper to Misa to play along when that damned alien bimbo was strolling over. Her expression went from amused at her 'slave' to annoyed in three seconds. Then the woman was taking Misa's arm AND hers to move them away from Assassin guy flashing his gun over in the corner. Careen didn't know if she wanted to laugh her ass off at how stupid the woman's assumptions were, or just kick her in the ass for being... well, a meddling pain in the ass.

"Listen lady, I'm tryin' to be patient here, but yer startin' to piss me off." she shrugged her arm out of Klaani's grasp. "First of all, I know I'm adorable, but I ain't stupid. I know how to handle my shit. And second..." Careen leaned to make sure Antony had walked out of the bar, or at the very least wasn't anywhere within ear shot. "Second, I was just about to set this lil twit free in the saftey of my wildlife sanctuary, so unless you're lookin' for a job, you can go on and mind yer own business."

"Speaking of jobs," she said a little louder, "If anyone around here is lookin' for one, you can contact Careen Calliente. I'll be around." By around she meant outside. Careen plucked her new slave-girl's arm out of Klaani's grasp and turned her around to start guiding her out the door.

Her glossy lips curled into a smile as he mouthed her name. She noticed the scar he had; that wound must have been an unimaginable amount of pain. This gave the assumption that he was able to speak before that unfortunate damage was brought on him.

Tartarus drew her name in the air, and then made some more motions, trying to tell her something. She interpreted as a compliment as his hand opened towards her. Whatever it was he was trying to say, it brought a rosy colour to her cheeks. Now that she thought about it, a mute man never came up front to speak with her like this. His efforts to talk to her were therefore more... Charming.

She set her hand into his own when he offered it to her, her fingers wrapping around it to give a light shake. Anny felt she should give him a compliment as well. In her opinion, he had a very handsome, mysterious appearance. There was something attractive about a man with a dark looking image. Even his hair suited him!

"You're very sweet," she decided, since telling a man 'Oh I love your hair!' wasn't the brightest idea in the world. "I'm new to this planet... Do ya live here?"

[bg=#5E2217]
Varkas

Smiling at the thought that the general idea of his was understood, he placed his other hand over hers as he shook her hand, and then released it in order to answer her next question. He shook his head no, but touched both hands to his chest, and then slowly extended them outwards toward the sky, and then out farther as he looked around into the air indicating that his home was wherever he was at the time. Removing a small cylinder from his pants pocket, he tucked his cigarette into it to dispose of it, and then shut it as he placed it back where he'd retrieved it. Extending his hand to her, he hoped to imply the same question to her if she'd be kind enough to oblige his curiosity. He found Anny interesting, and wondered just where people like her were from... as he hadn't met many people with a liking for pleasant conversation in the outskirts of the universe.

Drawing his arm across in front of him, Varkas wondered if she would like to join him for a walk, and added a slight tilt of his head thinking perhaps that might make his actions clearer. Truth be told, he was surprised, and rather impressed with how well he'd been doing so far. Often people didn't pay much attention to him unless he was shooting at them, or stealing something. But that wasn't the case right now, and it was a nice change of pace.
[/bg]

'Wow this girl is tough' First standing up to someone, for she knows could've been a killer, and then shrugging off that alien. A smile played on her lips as the girl mentioned people needing jobs. "Thanks for saving my ass. By the way I'm Misa," She told the girl with a nod, simply letting the girl lead her around like a rag doll "and I think I can be a great service to you. Ya see I'm an engineer. A person can have many uses for that. So...yeah...Whats your name?" Misa looked at the mysterious girl, she was hoping that she wouldn't be as mean to her as she had the others. Then again she really didn't have a choice in the matter. Technically she was this girls' property whether she liked it or not. In the end all she could hope for was that this fate would be better then the other she might have faced.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Travis jerked his head up when someone said the magic word, and it wasn't a please he was looking for. The somewhat bratty girl that entered the bar had loudly declared that she was offering jobs for people that were interested. Right now he would work for everyone that could offer him a meal and a place to sleep, fleeing from a past costumer made his life rather complicated right now, it wasn't time to be picky.

Especially after the Barkeeper bluntly refused his offer of repairing and maintaining something. His exact words were something like: " Stop pestering me and get yourself a fucking decent job!". Shaking his head he wondered why nobody here could see his talent and genius. He invented stuff on a daily basis after all, even though there were some...minor.. drawbacks after some of his experiments. But that was no reason for the barkeeper to get worked up like this, after all it wasn't his property he destroyed after arriving in town. Well, he had to admit that it may not have been a good first impression of him.

Sighing as he closed his PDA he stood up to go after the women, he would have liked to finish his plans for a new invention. But that would have to come later, after his stomach stopped demanding food. Being oblivious of the mood and the other people in the room he quickly followed them, his one track mind ignoring everything else.

Celon took the aliens rudeness well. He had simply turned and gone back too his drink. That was until he heard the human woman say she was going to free the other, and more importantly that she was hiring. Celon was in a bad situation. he had little money left, and he had taken out the one person on this planet with a bounty. he didn't have enough cash to get off this godforsaken rock, and little rescourcess to live off of. He placed a sum of money on the table, enough fro the drink and a table, as well as a tip. He stood, stretching out his legs. He followed the two human females out of the bar. he caught up with them right outside. "Excuse me, but I couldn't help but overhear you. You said your looking for employees, well I am looking for work." celon didn't know what to expect from the human, he said a quick prayer to himself. He hoped this would work.

Anny watched closely as he moved his hands around to show her where he lived, since this wasn't the place. From what she could tell, he chose wherever he wanted for a home. If not that, he implied that he came from far, far away. She made a nod of understanding; she hadn't been to a real home for a long time now.

While he disposed of his cigarette, she shifted a little since the strap to her guitar bag was digging unpleasantly into her shoulder. This wasn't heavy at all, it just didn't feel too good sitting on the same patch of skin for too long. When he put his arm in front of himself, she mimicked his head tilt, then smiled and linked her arm with his. Tartarus seemed friendly, plus she'd be getting farther away from that insane bar behind them. With him nearby, she felt like there was nothing else to be paranoid about.

"Where I come from ain't all that exciting. It's called Amos. It was a lot like this planet, actually. Dusty, dry, hot... But very cold at night. Also crawlin' with dangerous critters, but some of 'em could be tamed. Mainly humans live there. Been a long time since I've visited, though."

Anny didn't want to ramble on and on about where she lived, so she kept it at that. It probably explained why she was a country girl, too. There were so many more questions she wanted to ask this man, like what happened to his voice, and what he did for a living. It seemed like such a burden, though. Much as she liked to talk, she could enjoy his company in silence.

Dillon turned to head through the door, just behind Careen and Mika. "I wouldn't mean to intrude, but so far as jobs go, iffin' you're going to be so far in the limelight at all times, you might want to at least hire another warm body that can put bullets where you need, or simply a warm body that can take a few bullets, and I can't help but feel uniquely qualified for both those counts. The name's Dillon."

He slipped around them as they reached the door, pushing it open and propping it so with his foot. Being dead in one sense or another didn't mean that he had to forget how to treat a lady- Especially a possible employer.

To attempt to a put a better impression forward, he cocked his head to the side to hide his bad eye, shrugging his shoulders so his collar closed around the ugly ring 'round his neck, essentially trying to look as properly alive as he could given his current conditions. Even as he did though, he couldn't stop but cast a glance in Antony's direction. Money would have to come before revenge in this case.

[bg=#5E2217]
Varkas

Nodding intently as he listened to her talk about where she was from, and what it was like. Varkas could tell that she was a country girl, more so from how she carried herself, and her words rather than her attire. Though that too spoke of the country. That was something they had in common as he'd grown up on a planet that was populated mostly by ranchers, and a few groups of space pirates or raiders as some liked to call themselves. It was then that a deep bark broke the silence after Anny fell quiet as they walked. The heavy rhythm of falling paws followed, along with another bark, though this time much softer than before. Seconds later, a large white dog came into view as it rounded the corner of the bar, and made a beeline straight for Varkas, and Anny.

The dog's brilliant white coat was complimented with its bright green eyes, and wide opened dog grin as it slid to a stop next to Varkas, it's head craned back to look up at him with it's gentle eyes. Reaching down to to scratch the dog behind it's ears, which wasn't much of a stretch for him asthe dog's head was nearly waist level to him at his height of 5'10. Speaking to the dog, he mouthed 'Anny', and pointed to her, which was followed with another light bark. The dog turned around, and began walking backwards with them, as it looked at the woman with it's ears twitching ever few moments, and it's uncommonly wise looking eyes fixed on her.

With a smile tugging at his lips, he turned to Anny, and mouthed 'Majik' as he patted his leg, which called the large dog to him. It then reared up, and placed it's paws on Varkas' chest, as it looked at him a moment before looking back to Anny. Letting his tongue roll out the corner of his widened mouth, Majik's eyes flicked once, and then his tail began wagging so quickly it might very well snap off at his rear.
[/bg]

Misa the engineer slave girl. An eyebrow rose in doubt about the girl's qualifications. The kid didn't look like an engineer. Then again, Careen didn't look like the Queen of the Universe either. Can't judge a book by the cover, right?

"Careen. But you can call me Boss. Pay attention, chicka, it'll save me some trouble." With the comment, Careen remembered the paper in her pocket. Pulling it out and uncrumpling it, she read over the words hastily scribbled.

Tonight come to the Castleton General Store at midnight alone. We have business that can be done.

Midnight meetings with a stranger. That'd be interesting. Alone too? She'll see about that...

Careen was stuffing the paper back in her pocket as Celon approached, announcing that he was looking for work. This was Assassin guy, the one that caused the big ignored scene in the bar. Again, the doubt was obvious on her face. Clearly she was a women unafraid to let her real thoughts be apparent.

As Dillon made his own intentions known while keeping the door open for her and Misa, Careen slid in to a grin. That'd be two gunhands and an engineer, which wasn't a bad start at all. Her endeavor started out shaky, but things were looking up.

Careen finally realized she hadn't said a word since telling her name to Misa, and that the two men were patiently waiting for her reply. Once outside and a fair distance from the bar door, she shoved her hands in to her pockets and rocked back and forth on her heels.

"All right then. I can work with this. My rules are real simple. I demand loyalty above everything else. If I can't trust ya, I'mma kill ya. Or throw you out of my newly found country. Really depends on how you go about breakin' that trust..." Careen was tempted to go down the list of ways to piss her off, but she decided she stick with the simple basics. "Any case, I ain't kiddin' about startin' a country. Once I got enough hands, we're gonna go off and explore the property to see where to found my first town. I can pay you in cash or land, but if someone lays a bullet in me, I'mma lay a bullet in you. Got it?"

Hearing the fast paced footsteps behind them made Anny cling tighter to his arm. It was when she heard a bark that she knew she could relax; it must have been a friendly pet of someone's. Sure enough, the creature came to a stop beside Tartarus, who silently introduced her to the dog.

She watched the dog with curious eyes as he stared back at her. A giggle escaped her when the dog, Majik, set his paws on his master's chest whilst making excited tail wags. Anny was already in love with this animal.

"He's so beautiful!" she cooed, reaching over to pet Majik on the head. His fur felt very soft and had a snowy white colour that would make it impossible to lose track in the open. There was some consolation for Anny now that she knew Tartarus had a companion. He seemed like a loner, but even with a dog you weren't completely alone. This made her miss her own pets who she was certain died of old age by now.

"Such a good lookin' fella, yes you are~" Anny complimented the dog in a sweet voice as she moved her fingers behind an ear to give it some scratches.

[bg=#5E2217]
Varkas

Majik cocked his head back, and slowly closed his eyes as Anny scratched behind his eyes, his tongue still hanging out the corner of his mouth as a look of ecstasy spread across his furry face. Lightly one of the dog's paws began racking at Varkas's shirt in addition to Anny's affection. Varkas moved a hand to his chin where he lightly ran his fingers through his goatee, watching the scene with a silent laugh nestled in his throat. The man then lightly whistled a series of tones, and Majik dropped to all fours, before moving to Varka's right leg, where he turned his head, and looked at them both as if waiting for them to begin walking.

Looking back to Anny, he motioned forward once more, and they began walking again, Majik keeping pace with them, his head swaying slightly as the dog looked around the group. Acting as a sort of guard dog it would seem. Varkas then mouthed the question 'Do you have any pets, Anny?' as he was certain that she did, though they might not be with her here.
[/bg]

Celon smiled." Your terms are agreeable. I would ask that my wages be split into both land and menetary funds. Also I woul prefer to choose the land I am payed with." Ideas were stirring in celons head. He had maybe another decade before his body began to degrade from age. he had built up a large sum of money in the last decade, and now it was all gone. he needed to rebuild what he had lost. He needed something to live off of when he could no longer perform assassinations. Maybe retiring on a middle of nowhere planet would work. " That is unless my choice in land interferes with your plans."

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Travis followed the now little group of people outside and listened to his possibly new employer talk about some ideological rant about forming a country and getting people to join it. He didn't dislike the idea in it's core, but he wasn't caring about things like that at the moment. His mayor concern was getting a place to sleep and a hot meal.
Seeing her speak with the guy who just killed the guy in the bar and another man that looked like you better don't mess with him made the deal even more appealing for him. Strong allies would be able to protect him from his pursuers.

Stepping out of the entrance he placed himself near the little group and tried to make eye contact with the woman that could change his life.