A satchel seemed logical, Ratty seemed to have a habit of finding magical rocks, and surely some of them would have used other than being eaten, so those at least could be carried in it, as well as food if they ever found themself in an area with nothing easily edible for a rodent, like how Lizzy carried random edible things in her various packs and pockets, the only trouble would be finding someone who was willing or even able to make satchels for rodents that wouldn't be too awkward for long term wearing or get in the way of everyday scurrying.

Though it was difficult purely due to physical shape of large rodents, Ratty would be able to more or less lift the bowl for the cook to take, receiving what appeared to be a nod of appreciation at making their job just a little bit easier, fortunately gestures like returning a bowl didn't need in-depth understanding of languages to get a point across.

The encampment somehow seemed more energetic than the previous afternoon, maybe it was just because everyone there had rested well and not been working yet, or just maybe, it was a sign of hope that they would be able to return home soon, as it was increasingly obvious that this camp was not permanent, for one thing much of the ground didn't show the signs of frequent walking that would tend to flatten and pack the dirt, these people had already lost their home to the anomaly it seemed, since there was also no sign of the kinds of tools that Ratty for some reason knew would be needed to make much of the things they carried.

Eventually the two Syol members of the group returned, having apparently finished cleaning themselves, Daoin notably had changed into a shorter tunic and some pants, there were fewer things on their outfit that could snag or slow them down, sensible for a potentially dangerous trip, they also wore a small blade at their hip, though it could have just been hidden previously.
"I see you awoke while we were away, we have already eaten so are prepared to leave".
Hin assured them, the two also smelled different, or rather were harder to smell, they must have applied something as the two Syol smelled very much like trees or plants, not like two legged predators.

Truth be told, it wasn't just magical rocks that the rat was thinking of: even normal stones had a use, and their existence as a material in the new nesting grounds was only part of it. 'A stone' could be used to describe both the most intelligent thing the creature had encountered, and also the most frightening. But, mostly rocks were just good. Good to have around, for shelter, or self-defense, or to throw when one's intelligent friend has a panic attack upon getting too close to a large violent stone-person.

Upon finding the two accomplices, and nobody else willing to offer assistance in this dangerous mission, the rat waved its greetings and got up close for a good sniff at the two. For a moment the creature looked confused, but like most instances of this sort of situation, it put the pieces together quickly, and commented in an impolite fashion: No scent. Frightening, but useful. - The implication that most people knew this technique might have a hand in how previous nests had been compromised: more things to inform the other rodents, assuming the elders did not already know.

Moving to the side, this rat faced all three of its bipedal accomplices to address them. It seemed important, since they were all heading into danger.

We know not what to expect beyond 'danger,' but it stands to reason that we might encounter people at the root of this. You've all gathered that this is a sneaking mission, and nothing would be more perfect than avoiding any distractions, but we- a pause. - I, trust your judgment. We may encounter people. My experience with people in dangerous places is not the best. If we are spotted, we will have to decide on a course of action quickly, but I would prefer to probe for information than silence someone. Will you assist, should the opportunity present itself? Or rather, would you prefer that I lead conversation, or could you do it without direction?

Also, should it come to a fight, I have two tricks. One can stop trouble before it becomes a problem, and the other is useful in an emergency, but there is a flaw to using them. I have no stamina when using those tactics. Can harry something or someone otherwise, but magic is tiring. Would prefer to practice until the problem no longer persists, but there is not likely enough time. Will try to conserve strength for the Root itself,.

The last part appeared to be directed toward the archer.

You know the forest better than I; am prepared to follow your lead.

Reactions: Mahou-Shoujo
While at first it might seem odd that so few were willing to assist, and apparently none among the Uhar, it did sort of make sense, these people had already lost their home, and most likely had experience with attempting to resist the anomaly, there was nothing they COULD do but cheer on their possible heroes, and hopefully, reward them if they were victorious, there were a lot of things a rat colony could make use of that the two legged people could provide, especially if their population had a boom, which instincts seemed to imply they would, and soon if it had not already started while Ratty was away.

Though Hin seemed as if he was going to comment Daoin's usual cheery socialness beat him to the punch.
"Oh! Yeah hunters learn that really early! We use some kinda oily stuff that the elders make in big batches so animals don't smell us and get scared, especially scary animals, I thought it could be helpful if the anomaly is an animal or one of the races that are better at smelling things".
Huh, so it was Daoin's suggestion that they hide their scent, this was almost the first mention of multiple elders, it could refer to the two Ratty had already met, but there was also the chance that others lived within the woods, after all from the Little Pearl had been able to share on the topic it was clear the forest was massive, far larger than any rodent could hope to cover on their own, so plenty of room for others to hide.

Well if Ratty hadn't been established as leader yet, they certainly were now! That little speech had, knowingly or not, secure Ratty's position as the leader of the expedition in the minds of all who were watching, including several of the Uhar who had been watching, even the ones who didn't understand could see the others following along.
"If peace is possible, then I would prefer that option above all others".
Hin assured their rodent leader.
"I am... Not the most talented at communicating with others, as I am sure you know, so would prefer to leave such things, bar translation, to others, and will follow your lead".
Daoin had been nodding along with their sibling and raised their hand to speak.
"I can talk! Maybe we'll make a new friend if we're careful?"
Optimistic in the extreme, but not impossible, the anomaly COULD lead to new friends, but just as likely could end with deadly force.

"The Elder mentioned you had access to at least some magic, I would prefer you and... Lizzy?"
He had made an effort to learn what their other companion was going by it seemed.
"I would prefer you both preserve any magic in case the root can not be harmed by arrows, I will handle any more mundane threats with bow and blade".
Hin assured, before simply nodding at the direction to lead the way, and once they were all confirmed to be ready, would lead the way out of the camp.

"It... Feels different here".
Lizzy commented after a while, having been quiet the whole morning and walk so far, likely on high alert.
"Not entirely unpleasant... Reminds me of some of the workrooms at the guild I was most often staying at, it is growing stronger as well".
It made sense she would detect it first, being the one with the most experience other than maybe Lumina who confirmed Lizzy's comments shortly after.
"She is correct... Magical energy is dense in the air here, it is... Good, I will make use of it".

For all the rodent's planning and reminders to itself not to draw attention, the creature took its time learning just how bad it was at such a thing, at least in this public setting. The Uhar were, at least, the sorts of people this rat could benefit from leaving an impression upon, but a less open space would be necessary for future excursions, future speeches. Even the rodent's missteps were still in the right direction somehow, at least until Daoin's eagerness to prove useful bore fruit. Something about this development gave the creature pause, and it looked between its friend, and said friend's brother: surely, an objection?

No?

No. This is a bad idea... Right?

To risk its friend, by having them act as the face of the group: it made sense. Everyone would go out of their way to protect the young Syol, or so they should. Hin's talents lie in archery, whatever that was (something like throwing things, the rodent recalled), and Reptile likewise needed distance to do her best. That left...

No, this is a great idea! Be careful, and don't be afraid to get behind any of us at the first sign of danger. <Brother> has good eyes, and <Cat> is fierce. <Squeak> can draw attention too, or lunge from brush. Or leap from shoulder? Or...

----

It seemed the rat had all kinds of ideas for how to approach danger in defense of its friend, but in the end it settled on trailing near its entourage, lurking under the brush and using the size and bulk of its reptilian companion as a means of warding off the more mundane dangers that lurked in the woods. As for the presence of anything magical, the rodent must not have noticed a change in the air, which was to be expected if its time in the ruins and nesting grounds had any use as data: the creature merely glanced in Reptile's direction as she spoke, trying to gauge just how keen her sense of this anomaly was.

The rat's reading was interrupted by a second voice, which caused it to jump up in surprise and turn around in a panic. A new voice, and the creature couldn't pinpoint the direction from whence it came! It searched the trees, then the branches above, and the bushes below.... only to find nothing. A moment later, the rat tried pinging its stone companion.

<You have a voice now?>

Hin didn't see any reason to argue, for one thing, he would probably lose, and for another... This was important to his sibling, this quest was something of a coming of age for them and he knew better than to refuse to allow them to take part by doing what they did best and acting as a face for the group, he would of course be keeping his usual eye out, hands ready to draw and fire at a moment's notice as his eyes scanned the forest around them for any hint of danger, the magical energy in the air had him on edge.

Daoin nodded their affirmation.
"Okay! I'm good at running away so if something dangerous happens I will run away from it and to safety! I'm not as good as Hin at archery but I have a short bow I can use too".
Apparently a 'bow' was a tool used in whatever archery was, perhaps it referred to those bent sticks on the backs of the two Syol? They didn't seem like they would make good stabbing or crushing implements so were likely not for close range combat at least.

"Not... Exactly?... Was testing... New ways to speak, others cannot hear".
Lumina explained, it wasn't sure itself why it was bothering to try and sound different, maybe it thought it would seem more natural? Or perhaps it was some hidden part of it's broken memories causing it to experiment with such things.
"I will stop if needed".

"Are you well friend? You're not feeling it too are you?"
Hin questioned, he seemed a little more distracted and anxious now, clearly the anomaly was strong in their current area, though the map they had meant the group had been following a less dense patch towards the center, something having seemingly removed part of the anomalous influence, perhaps some brave adventurers before them?

Last edited:
The rodent paused, taking in this new information from the one who shared its body: it wondered for a moment if Lumina genuinely liked experimenting with things, or if boredom had just driven it to search for something to do at all times. The rat didn't really want an answer; it was just musing to itself, and a little bit relieved that the pearl was experimenting for its own goals, whatever they might be. It didn't want to feel like it was monopolizing the use of its own body, but at the same time, a body wasn't something that was normally shared, or so it thought.

<A vital test,> the rodent pinged back to its friend, encouraging them to continue as it turned to face Hin, fingertips wriggling in anticipation of the peculiar pidgin language it had worked out between these two Syol.

We are fine, friend. Troubled at inability to sense what others sense. We should continue.

And with that, the rat moved to Hin's side, trying to get an extra set of eyes ahead of the group. It was strangely quiet, for all the tense buildup of the day before.

The response from Lumina came in a feeling that was almost like relief, had it perhaps expected to be told off? And if so, why was it even doing things it would worry were not allowed? Lumina itself was still fairly new to relief at events other than escaping dangerous situations, only knowing what it was called from scanning it's host's various dangerous memories that flooded in during some dreams, jarring both it and Ratty's consciousness and minds.

"I see... I suppose it makes sense... Magical sense is natural for my own people, and some other races, but without formal training others lack that ability, I would offer to teach you if I had such knowledge, but perhaps your other friend could assist with that?"
Hin let a little slip there, by referring to Lizzy as Ratty's 'other' friend, he may have been implying that he himself was a friend, and while to be quite honest he did find himself warming up to the intelligent rodent, he felt some embarrassment at the thought of friendship forming so fast, especially as he had no idea if Ratty even liked him.
It didn't help that the anomaly was causing his anxiety to rise at a steady rate, which among other things was making him talk more than usual as a way to keep his mind busy.

Fortunately for his nerves the silence was broken by Lizzy.
"Oh! I hadn't even thought of that... I could you know. I could Show you how to use magic sense, just about any being with a dash of magical potential can use it, of course... Right here isn't the best place, but afterwards, it might be very useful, and it crucial to begin learning any more advanced magic, especially from books".
It seemed she was implying that magical books existed, and needed magic to properly study, maybe Lumina would be able to expedite the process somewhat if Ratty ever came across one? As unlikely as it was for a forest to contain intact books in such old ruins it was still possible someone would bring one into the area.

After that conversation ended for a while, the lack of anything happening made it so quiet that Ratty's ears began to ring, only for the silence to be broken with a sudden cry of shock from Hin of all people, who stumbled backwards shaking his head and falling to the ground, practically hyperventilating as his sibling ran over.
"Hin!"
They cried out though seemed to calm down as their brother slowly got a handle on himself, a feat aided by their Feline companion climbing onto him in a manner that was apparently calming.
"I... Sorry... I Thought... I don't know what i thought".
They were incredibly close to the heart of the anomaly now, the point where no more easy low density paths existed, in fact there was what looked like carved stone just barely visible through the trees, it seemed that this close Hin couldn't hold himself together, even Daoin was clearly anxious though holding together remarkably well.

Friend, Hin said. Specifically, he called the reptile this rodent's 'other' friend, but with his weird magical linguistics, it wasn't a word to be taken lightly.

It felt more sincere, heartfelt, coming from the aloof elder sibling. He wasn't the first among the group to use that word, but for him it felt more like a declaration of acceptance than the rat's designation of intent: the Syol people becoming friends to the rodent was, with perhaps a touch of deniability, part of the rodent's scheming. Perhaps Hin had caught onto that early on, or perhaps he was merely just that devoted to his tasks, but hearing how the tall one meant the word was... nice? The idea of friendship with this one was awkward: much less natural than a friendship with his sibling, and less born-of-necessity than the rodent's kinship with the reptile. Hin was kind of like that cat: dangerous and unpredictable, but good to keep around and look after.

Or, it could be good to let him do his own thing, the rodent decided. It sort of made sense that they'd bond, being members of very social communities who preferred being out on their own if given the chance. Even the tall one's small talk bore wisdom, as he gave the reptile ideas for how to better prevent this problem regarding a lack of senses from surfacing in the future.... though the creature's initial discomfort at the suggestion might have given off an air of suspicion, as though it was worried that Lumina's presence had been detected. But again, the rat kept its own input to a minimum: signing took time away from walking, and the sooner everyone had eyes on whatever this foul creation was that deigned to consume the forest, the sooner it could be bitten and everyone could go home.

Or so the creature thought.

A sudden scream caught everyone's attention, and while the Syol half of the entourage banded together to help him regain his composure, the rat did another once-over of everything in sight: treetops, branches, shrubs, the ground level... Eventually it rejoined Hin on the ground, mentally prodding an air of annoyance at... itself, mostly. For one who was supposedly in charge of this expedition, the creature had forgotten two very basic things.

The silence is deafening, the rat signed in front of Hin. It could just make out the presence of carved stone, which meant they would be venturing underground... but for something to affect the duo to such a degree, something should be nearby, posing a threat. Perhaps ignorance to the shroud's presence wasn't the debilitating setback the rodent had assumed it was, comparing it to being deaf to a swooping hawk's wings. A pity, then, that it would have to press further upon Hin's anxiety after he got everyone this far.

We must be near the root, and there is carved stone ahead. Need to make a decision. How are you with dark, enclosed spaces?

Can you avoid deadly traps in this condition?

There is a chance that other explorers lie further ahead. Once we are underground, I've no intention to parley.

The rodent paused a moment to let that sink in: it did not play nice with trespassers in the other ruins, and it certainly wouldn't here, though it did stop short of stating 'no witnesses' to its guide. Cue a glance toward the reptile, then one in Daoin's direction, before an idea struck.

Perhaps... the three of you could keep watch, for anyone who might flee from below? If they escape, they could alert the one who sent them here. If such a person is involved, their identity is vital knowledge. Or, if Scales and <squeak> are not enough to fix this, you could cover our own escape so we can regroup and try again?

The rat just didn't like the idea of bringing everyone underground, where a minor slip-up could leave the syol in worse shape than that large human back at the encampment, or worse, cost them their lives. Even if Hin could pull himself together and venture into the dark with everyone else, it just felt like amassing more people for the journey cut into the strengths of an ambush, and hit-and-run tactics... though having everyone present for an ambush would provide an overwhelming force.

Here they stood at the edge of their destination, still bouncing ideas around.

Ratty's quick look around at the area revealed nothing, not so much as an insect dared to roam this close to the ruins that seemed to contain the anomaly, if there was something there it was well beyond Ratty's ability to see, or perhaps this was simply how the anomaly affected those caught in it's field? After all most wild creatures would leave at the moment they started feeling it's effects, and it had not yet reached the Uhar or Syol in full, so it was entirely possible this panic was it's ultimate affect, a fear to drive away outsiders.

"I know... This silence is near painful, even the wind dares not blow here".
That was true, Ratty usually wouldn't need to worry about the wind so much, being as close to the ground as they were, but there was none this close to their goal, every leaf was still.
Lumina seemed it was time to contribute and created an image of a large dome with holes in it in a seemingly questioning tone.
It seemed they were guessing that the anomaly worked something like a dome with holes in it, which was why so many random areas around it had less severe anomalous auras, while the center was so solid.

"I can handle enclosed spaces well but... If the inside is to be even worse than this... I will not be of use".
That seemed to almost hurt to admit, likely hitting his pride quite hard, but at least he was smart enough to know when he wouldn't be useful in a situation.
"You idea is a good one, I will keep watch here, if anyone else tries to enter I will dissuade them, and if you need to flee I will cover your retreat".
Hin promised, notably he didn't mention Daoin who spoke up themself.
"I want to come too.... I'm not as affected as Hin and you might need help! What if the anomaly needs to be talked to or... Or you need an extra set of hands".
The youngling seemed determined to help, and notably Hin wasn't speaking, it seemed he was going to leave this between Ratty and Daoin.

Lumina's guess being as good as any, its host considered the mental image for a moment, before making a few adjustments: the dome should be whole, with the gaps in its barriers still intact... but something must have broken the gaps open, most likely either time and deterioration, or an external factor. Again, the rat hypothesized people investigating in search of wealth or power, because it already had evidence of such a thing happening elsewhere. Alternatively, the item could have been damaged like the stone sentinel. Limited imagination, this one.

Then again, the creature had limited data to go on, and this trail of thought kept it from developing anxiety about rushing into an unknown danger without any proper knowledge of what it was getting into. That, and the thought of consuming whatever this anomaly was to gain its power. Imagine: finding some way to cause dangerous beasts and people to panic and flee in fear. To convey this thought to Lumina, it created a small image of itself, but with exaggerated teeth and claws, and fearsome, glowing eyes, and the sound of a mountain cat's roar to go with it, along with several birds and people fleeing in terror. The little creature almost bounced in glee.

No doubt, the two of them would have different ideas about aesthetic goals, given the rodent's current presence as a... cute ball of fluff, according to Daoin? Then again, terrifying monsters don't hold onto friends very easily.

The shroud is going to be eaten, the rodent clarified, equally inspired by Daoin's optimism and vexed by their insistence on joining the expedition proper. - It should not need to be spoken with... but perhaps something else might. I will take the front. Can you see without starlight?

Logic screamed at the rodent not to bring the smaller one along, but without Hin's intervention, the rodent couldn't think of any reason to deny this request: either of the Syol would have something with them that neither the rat nor the reptile could bring, and Daoin was the one with their wits intact. Someone would have to keep Hin calm, but... it seemed Sarash could do that? Plus, one couldn't deny that the rodent might need a few more arms once underground.

It faced the reptile once more.

Keep our friend safe. I will try to draw attention if we face danger. Should not be necessary, but it never hurts to plan for disaster. Regroup here if separated. Thoughts?

The ruins could be more properly explored after the danger was removed, the rodent hoped: archaeology was more fun without hundreds of lives at risk, but if trouble reared its head, the entourage could take their time picking this puzzle apart if necessary.

Once everything was settled, the rat took its spot in the formation as led its two partners forth.

Lumina seemed to take that imagination seriously, it WAS true that being scary could be very useful in ways that being cute and fluffy was not, but being scary all the time was a debilitating side effect when it came to diplomacy with friends and allies, but then again... Why choose? It had changed Ratty before, albeit mostly instinctively, perhaps there was a way to use that further now that it's host was gaining more and more magical energy for it to make use of...
At the end of this little thought stream Lumina sent back the image of Ratty turning into the big scary version and then back again with a questioning sensation attached to it, preferring to the image to communication with words it seemed, either that or it for some reason couldn't or did not want to speak right then.
There was also after a moment the sensation of hunger and the memory of eating the magical stone, Lumina was attempting to imply something.

Daoin actually nodded along with the suggestion of eating the shroud, as they personally just assumed it was the rat friend's way of saying they would destroy or at least fight it, after all you couldn't get much more destroyed than being chewed up and eaten, and no reasonable person would assume they meant literally eating an unknown magical anomaly.
"I can see in the dark really well, most elves can".
There was a distinction between Elf and Syol there, suggesting that not all elves were Syol.
They also seemed completely fine with Ratty taking the lead, they would prefer to be at range in a potential fight anyway.

"Umm.. Okay! If something bad happens I will help Daoin escape to the surface and wait for you".
Lizzy declared, having put two and two together and assumed that protecting Daoin would involve getting them out of the ruins if things went bad.
Lizzy personally trusted Ratty to escape on their own at this point if required, better than she trusted herself to be honest.
"I will... Try not to start another fire this time".
She also assured, though much quieter as she observed the abundant plant growth around ruins, plants that were already starting to wilt.
Moments later they left towards the ruins, Sarash keeping Hin company as he stood a little while away, bow drawn as much as a calming mechanism than anything else.

The initial descent was far easier than than the previous ruin, the entrance was still standing, and if anything appeared to have been cleared and even repaired somewhat, there was no doubt that someone with enough intelligence to do so had been there, though the dust on it all suggested it was a while ago, inside the plants were less green as well, suggesting that it was not just animals being affected.
"It feels... Really weird in here".
Daoin commented, though they still seemed to be holding together well as they anxiously glanced around, the entrance was rather tight but further in the ruins opened up to a similar structure to the new rodent colony, suggesting they had been similar in use.

"The very stones here are almost... Crying magic".
The lizard companion declared as she stared at and stepped around one of the fallen stones in their path, it sounded like there was some sort of meaning in her word choice.
"I can already tell the anomaly is a flood below us, it almost feels... Familiar?... In a way".

With the images being traded between itself and the strange pearl, the rodent paused to consider what it might actually want for itself, given the suggestion that bodily changes were not impossible. And sure, being scary and intimidating sounded amazing and could let the creature live its best life of imitating Hin at every social opportunity, but did the creature really want that? It thought back to its dreams, and the warmth its past self shared with others... and to the present, where almost all of its friends walked on two legs. Perhaps it wanted to walk on two legs, like the others? Like people?

But that would mean getting involved in people-problems... But, was the creature not doing that anyway? The rat produced a tentative mental image of a sleeping rat, followed by one of those masks from its dreams. It seemed uncertain about this thought, like it wanted to investigate more before thinking about altering itself for real.

Scurrying into the ruins themselves brought an end to curious pondering, or at least the ponderings' internal focus, as the rat spent more of its attention on observing the makeup of this structure: wilted plants made for little sustenance on their own, but it seemed like this ruin held a similar function to the previous one at a glance. Given the presence of repairs in odd places, it seemed too early to dismiss the possibility that everything of value had already been plundered. Something could still be nesting in these grounds, and yet...

Like the nest, but different. Only two stones in the nest were ill. This feels... recent, like the result of careless prodding. - Like the prodding of a scientist, even, though if that were the case, it would have to be one who either would either not notice or care about the destruction of the ecosystem outside. The rodent tapped at the wall for a second, suddenly more interested in finding stairs or another descension portal.

What sort of person stays holed up in a nest for days, possibly weeks at a time, and avoids the outside world?

Who does this sort of thing, and leaves a trail of magic in their path?

After a moment the rat realized just what it was asking, and shook its head: perhaps it should have interrogated the prisoners of the uhar encampment after all. Either way, this sounded like the work of a scientist with a fixation: the worst sort of person to reason with, especially when the word 'cease' is uttered.

Searching through the ruins further showed clear signs of looting, the heat stones notably missing, with the holes they would have fit into all too obvious with their absence, many of the more colorful rocks that were present in the nest ruin were also gone, perhaps they had some sort of value separate from magic as well? It could perhaps be something to look into at a later time.
Even the weird wooden things were all gone, though lots of shiny metal objects were scattered about randomly on the floor, similar to the things some of the Uhar had been using.

"Abandoned tools... Those are expensive, I wonder why they would be left here?... Maybe the anomaly drove the workers away?"
Daoin suggested, idly pushing one of the sharper tools out of the way with their foot.
Though there was no evidence of it affecting humans yet, it was a sensible theory, especially with how it had affected Hin just getting close to the ruins, being inside when the anomaly started up must have been hellish.

Finally they seemed to find the stairs to the lower level, fortunately intact, though lacking any of the repair work the top floor had, instead it looked more like it HAD been blocked before simply collapsing in a beneficial way, there was no doubt the anomaly was there, not only was Daoin shaking in their boots despite their confident face, but even Ratty was starting to feel something weird and tingly.
"There is a great source of magic in there... It is all... Mixed up though".
Lizzy explained.

"The magical anomaly is... Changing".
Lumina suddenly declared in Ratty's mind.
"It is attempting to imitate others... I believe it may be functioning as a trap".
The magical pearl declared.
"I... Suggest extreme caution, the anomaly is potentially sentient".

If the rat felt anything, any sort of anxiety over the magical buildup at all, it couldn't hold a mere ember toward a much more dominant emotion forming up in the pits of its emotion-hole: agitation. All that work to prepare for potential intruders and drive them away, and it was all for naught, for the peculiar shroud had done that part for them.... leaving the mystery of just who had been digging around in these ruins up for grabs. Investigative efforts would have to be delayed, but that was assuming the rat could survive whatever lie down these collapsed stairs.

It made no sense: if the people-tools were meant to repair the shelter, then why would the sunstones and most of the natural beauty be pried free? Once upon a time this place could have been a wonderful, defensible little nest for some wandering migratory animals, and now it sat devoid of something that made it whole: even the greenery that persisted here wilted without sunlight, and the air... - That trail took an abrupt turn when the rat suddenly realized it had two, possibly three magical entities that might be willing to help figure out how to remake the stolen parts.

Knowing what took place in these halls, the rodent would want to drive everything away as well, if it lived here: circumstances had narrowed the many hypotheses of the past few days down to one.

The root is native to this place, the rat signed to Daoin, and very old. It has had time to think, to perceive, and to learn.

It watched people enter these halls, and strip them bare. Its home, for as long as it's been here, plundered, robbed of that which gave it life.

Now it seeks to drive everyone away.

This change you must feel... It knows we are here. It must know now,, that I am here. Suspect a trap lies ahead.

I want to talk to it, but it may not want to talk. If it is like the others I've met, we are in for a fight.

But, the rat now questioned whether it could consume such a thing. Perhaps the cause of this shroud that lie ahead shared the rodent's want to see this place restored, to have life brought back into these halls. But, perhaps this entity was like the last two stones it had encountered: ill from deterioration and lack of purpose. The creature wouldn't know until it entered the main chamber below.

So it did.

No more words were spoke, Ratty's companions felt their anxiety reach it's zenith as they walked down the mostly intact stairs and towards the only room with a clear entrance that they could all fit through, there was a new smell here that had been covered up by the smell of the plants and dust upstairs, this one was of death, like the old corpses Ratty had sometimes come upon while foraging, too far gone to even eat any of them, perhaps they were not the only ones to visit this place, hopefully they would be able to return again.

Finally their objective was revealed, it took a moment to figure out exactly what Ratty was looking it, as while it had a shape vaguely familiar, similar to a humanoid in the shape of the previous walking rock, but even more misshapen and twisted, and most strikingly, it was not made of stone at all.
Though there was stone laying nearby that seemed as if it could be the same type as the previous golem, this creature was made almost entirely of bone.
The bones had no clear source, they could have been human, animal, maybe even other races, all held together by many vibrant and life filled plants, moving in a way not dissimilar to serpents, occasionally shifting in a way that revealed cloth and flesh beneath it all.

"U..Undead...."
Daoin seemed the most obviously scared as they exclaimed a potential classification for the monster, this was a different fear to the one they had felt just from the aura, and seemed more akin to a fear of a predator, having a strong primal element to it.
Lizzy was less scared, either due to some hidden bit of extra courage or perhaps knowledge, she had been a student of magical things after all, and this was nothing if not magical.
"It's... All wrong, this is different from any magic I've seen but also... Somehow familiar".
Lizzy commented.

It seemed either their presence or the chatty companions had caught the attention of the monster, which turned and charged, letting out a horrible warbling roar, bones cracking and snapping with each step yet not seeming to bother it.
"INTRuders... INTerlopers..."
It declared in a grinding halting english, it looked like the lumbering beast was fairly slow but would reach them in seconds.
"This creature has at least three magical sources... Evasion is recommended".
Lumina declared.

Any misguided hopes of reaching a peaceful resolution with the inheritor of these halls evaporated in the seconds it took to distinguish just what the entity was: dust, plants, and death. It didn't quite explain what the big pile of bones was doing moving and shambling about without tendons and muscles and such, but magic was a common theme with ruins like these, and illogical phenomena in general. At least in this instance the rat didn't have to think too hard about what this big, scary, shambling horror was, or what to do with it: it was a golem sentry.

A golem sentry held together by things that could be shattered, burned, and potentially pulled apart.

However scary it might have looked or felt, one didn't need a nigh-bottomless pit to sink it into to disassemble it: just time, patience, and resilience.

The rat raised a hand into the air, drawing a little circle before suddenly spreading it fingers out before scurrying out of the monstrosity's path: nary a second to relay a message to the others (dodge and scatter), but just enough to delay the dispersal a smidge.... and a perfect position from which to mimic the strange arcane gestures it used last time for a strength boost.

With its attention focused on the monstrosity, the rodent didn't have much time to go looking for anything that wasn't already in plain sight to hurl at the golem while its back was likely turned, so the large rock would be the first thing to fly, straight at the golem's body. This, too, was a message.

A message for the golem about who the real threat was here.

And also a bluff, but if it kept the bone-sentry from paying attention to Daoin or Reptile, it would serve its purpose.

The others scattered as requested, Daoin nocking an arrow in their short bow, the head was sharp and wide, possibly good for cutting things like the plant or cloth components but mostly useless against the bones that made up much of the body.
Lizzy meanwhile seemed to be making the movements associated with fire after first carefully looking around, it seemed the golem had absorbed all the nearby plants into itself so there was no risk of her accidentally lighting everyone on fire this time, of course she would need time to cast properly, as she felt that unstructured casting would drain her too fast for what appeared to be an endurance battle.

The rock shattered against the golem's body, breaking several bones in the impact and staggering it for a moment, as well as revealing what looked to be a glimpse of it's core, or at least what it was using to protect it's core, something fleshy and wearing cloth, at least one of the humans who had been here was now part of this creature, vines wrapping around and piercing it's skin, likely using it to maintain the life of the plants where so many others were withering.
The glimpse was only momentary though before the vines covered the hole, pulling more bone to strengthen it, they were acting both as armour and muscle, most of the movement of the bone supported by the many plants.

As the monstrosity turned it was struck in the back by a small ball of flame from their resident fire lizard, the blaze quickly starting to spread and eliciting a scraping shriek from the golem, which proceeded to rip the entire burning section from it's back and fling it towards Ratty with one arm even as it turned towards Lizzy, seeming to actively strain it's own vines as it did so.
"This undead... Seems to have some internal conflict".
Lumina commented even as it wordless directed it's host to dodge the burning ball of plant and bone.

Heeding Lumina's motion to dodge, the rodent once more leapt from its position to the side, almost clutching onto its tail to avoid it getting singed by the flaming projectile. This creation was far more dangerous than the previous one: it could manage multiple threats without blanking itself, take damage control measures while ablaze, and one other thing that had slipped the rat's mind until just now: it could talk! One would assume it wouldn't want to, given its charge-first-ask-questions-never policy, but the option was there...

and there were certainly things that this creation knew, right? What was the harm in trying? Aside from risking the lives of the rodent's friends? Spurred from Lumina's suggestion about the horror feeling conflicted, the rat drew its hands up to sign something out.

Try ask who it protects?

Who lived here?

Who intruded?

Tell we aren't thieves.

We want to help.

The rodent, of course, wasn't counting on any questions being answered. If they were, that would be very.... illuminating? But Daoin's ability meant that words could potentially be understood by the shambling bone-suit, and given its turmoil, it could be shaken up into losing its focus. Chances are, the only help they could offer the golem would be its deactivation anyway, but...

Well, the rat needed some time to be careful picking up any flaming debris it could hurl back at the golem if it didn't stop attacking.

Daoin lowered their bow, it seemed that without directly attacking the golem thing was willing to ignore their presence for now anyway, and instead decided to focus on speaking with the thing, after all it WAS capable of speech, even if the speech made their head feel weird and strained their ability to understand to it's limits.
They quickly shouted out the questions, needing to be loud to be heard over the sounds of bone scraping against bone and stone, and strangely enough, the creature seemed to turn it's attention to Daoin long enough to listen, in an action that most certainly terrified them before it returned to focus on the two threats.

What was more surprising was it's answers, or what sounded like answers.
"SELALL"
It declared, in a word that didn't seem to be any sort of language, and more a conflicted attempt to explain.
It's next answers were much less conflicted however.
"DEStroyers! Destroy!"
Were the only words it required to answer the others, either not believing or not understanding the attempts at making peace.
"I don't think it's all... Together? It's like there's a conflict, two meanings behind it's words! Maybe more!"
Daoin declared, firing an arrow quickly, severing a vine in the creature's arm and causing just enough loss of control for it to miss in an attempt to strike Lizzy, who at this point had prepared enough to cast another spell, which was promptly intercepted by a thrown chunk of rock scooped from the broken floor.

All of this probably distracted it enough to give Ratty time to act without, needing to worry about being suddenly squished, as the creature only seemed to be able to focus on two targets at once, though would likely refocus the moment they didn anything that could be considered threatening.

Selall.

It wasn't a word the rodent understood, but it was more than the rat expected to get in response to its questions: another thing to ask the elders about, assuming it remembered.

The creature busied itself with the pile of bones and vines where it nearly met its end, wrapping one end of the vine around the bone and tying it into a crude knot, with the flames at the opposing tip. This... primitive weapon wouldn't last long before its very nature consumed it, but it could potentially reignite parts of the monstrosity while its attention lie elsewhere. Cue an unwieldy swing toward anything that looked like it had leaves on it at some point, followed by another if the rat had any time before dropping its creation and scurrying back toward cover.

The floor had more rocks, the rodent realized... Those would be next, but in order to gain another opening, the rat had to come up with more questions.

Rebuild?

The rat squeaked. It might have run out of questions to keep the golem talking.