Now that we made it...

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"Ehh, you see, that is an example of something I can't tell you. Confidential stuff you know? What I can tell you is that you need a key to get in. We don't patrol much. Me coming out is a much less comon occurrence. That is pretty much it. "

"What is the point?" Jake asked

"It is so the higher ups, like me, can get a first hand account of what is what. Seems like things are going well."

Jake lowered his gun entirely. The wind started to pick up more and more. Off in the distance there was a dust storm coming this way. It looked like to was ready get dirt over everything.

"Perhaps we should get inside. I hope your mechs can handle a dust storms."

"Bah, if not, I get first dips on bets for the mech fight."

Sam stopped her questions after that, the wind becoming to much to ignore. It seemed that a dust storm was coming, it would be bad if they didn't get into the Costco soon. She listened in on the conversation and nodded her head a bit when Jake mentioned the mechs. It would be a shame to see such interesting things get ruined.

"Well, lets all get inside. We'll want to block the door up so no dust gets in." She said as she motioned to the Costco. "If we don't hurry we'll all get buried alive."

With that said she turned and scurried back into the Costco, another gust of wind nearly knocking her over before she slipped into the shadows once again. She'd probably have to feed all those people, but she didn't mind much. They were friendly as far as she could tell and it would probably only be for until the storm passed.

They all followed her in quickly. Lex pulled a remote and pressed a couple of buttons. One of the giant mechs moved and laid down in front of the costcos. Its mass was enough to shield the entire front of the store. The soldiers dusted themselves off.

"Sweet Jeebus, that got hairy. Now it seems we might need a place to stay. If you don't mind, you have over protection, if we can stay. " declared the general.

"Lucky you had those giants, General. Either way, I don't see why you can't stay here."

Jake looked over to Sam for confirmation.

When Jake looked to Sam she was also dusting herself off, also nodding her head as she looked to him as well.

"Yeah, it's perfectly fine. It's not like we're sort on food or anything...Anyway, I'm gonna start the fire before it gets too dark for anyone to see." She said as she walked over to the remains of their fire from that morning.

She started to grab other burnable things, like old boxes that were opened and more broken wooden chairs. She also found some other burnable items and set them to the side for later use. With that done she fiddled with the pile and lite it expertly before started to slowly grow it larger and larger.

The soldiers helped keep a good perimeter, making sure things were safe. The general challenged Jake to some cards. Though not playing for keeps, cards was a good time waster. After a few hands, Jake jumps up.

"Ha! Royal flush!" he exclaimed.

Lex slammed his cards and grunted. Lighting a cigar, he gave a nod. Jake comes over to Sam and helps tend the fire. Sam didn't need to do everthing. She earned that right when she survived. Seeing no one was looking, he kissed her cheek and went to get some food.

"What are we having, Head Chef?" Jake called.

Sam tended to the fire and collected her things from her hiding spot. She was a little weary about being around so many people, mostly because she was so used to being alone. She was only alright with Jake because he had proved to be trustworthy...these people still had not. She let the men play their cards though, and soon had a large fire going and the grill set up over it. When Jake came over she smiled a bit, only to blush quickly as he kissed her cheek. She watched him walk off then before calling to her, the girl standing up and calling back

"Grab one of those five gallon jugs of water and a couple two pound boxes of spaghetti, also grab some jars of sauce if you can find any and I'll make pasta." She said as she took the largest pot that had a build in strainer and set it on the fire.

As soon as the word spaghetti was heard, a celebratory "Hell yeah!" was heard from a solider. A couple of laughs were had, while Jake was gathering things. The food list was completed, easy enough. He even found some sauces.

Upon coming back, he set everything in a order that she would need the items. Jake dragged the table closer to the fire. Doing this, increased efficiency and allowed less moment of the all-time chef. Not that she needed the help, he just making things easier for people to achieve success.

"There we go. Anything else?" he asked cheerfully.

Sam laughed a bit at the excited yell before she focused on the water. The fire was large and hot enough that as soon as she got the water and poured it in, it sizzled loudly and soon the water was warm. She smiled at Jake when he dragged over the table making her job easier and making it lest of a challenge to move around. She shook her head when he asked if he could do anything else and just shooed him off.

"I've got it, you just go play more cards. I'll call when dinner is ready." She explained before she looked back to the pot.

Jake smiled and walked off. It was nice that she didn't mind being left to do her own thing. He would probably end up in the way anyways. Plus, the general owed him a game of 21 or two. Maybe this time he could get Lex to put up a weapon or mech.

The card game was reduced to just talking. Nothing major, just random things like preferences, styles, etc. Time wasted rather quickly under the dust storm. A curious soldier came over and looked into the pot and walked off.

Once the pot was boiling the noddles went in, all of them at once as they all fit easily. She gave them a good stir with a large spoon she had found and smiled a bit. The last time she had pasta was...was before Y2K. That thought alone brought back memories from the past. She shook them away though, this was not the time to get depressed. Instead she focused her attention on the pot and continued to stir.

The other occupants had began to notice to good cooking progress. Jake and Lex began to smoke cigar. Of course, it was his real cuban first ever. Coughs came out from the first puff. The General laughed and slapped Jake's back.

He seemed to take a liking to Lex. Almost like a image of what he want to be. Perhaps not physically, of course. The image of being in charge and helping people. It temporary role-model had sat just a few feet away. Their chatter had become lighter and Jake caught a whiff of the noddles.

"Smell great, Sam." he said

Sam smiled at Jake complimented the smell, raising an eyebrow as he smoked a cigar with the general.

"I can't say the same about that smoke you're making...you'll want to finish that soon because dinner is almost ready." She said.

She started to gather up another smaller pot and opened up the jars of sauce that Jake had found her. There would be plenty to go around but she wanted to warm the sauce up first. There was still a little room on the grill area over the fire and she was quick to put the sauce filled pot there, stirring it quickly as she let the fire heat it through.

"She is right, cigars are for times of victory and/or death. Hopefully, niether of those will be put into action." Lex declared

Grabbing the cigar from Jake, he put them out and placed them in a metal case. The food was getting cooked and there was no point to ruin a good meal. He signaled his men to gather plates, chairs, and things. Jake put a piece of gun in his mouth and walked over to Sam.

"I don't usually do that. I won't start, if you don't want me to." he whispered with a smile.

Sam grabbed a large bowl as the soldiers started to gather plates and chairs, quickly going to the pot and pulling out the strainer half along with the pasta. She shook it out slightly before dumping it all into the large bowl. She then took the sauce and poured a little onto the noodles before she started to mix them together. When Jake whispered to her she blushed and looked over to him with a small smile of her own.

"We, it's your choice to make, Jake...but just so you know, I don't kiss ash trays." She said simply before she stepped back and called to everyone. "Alright! Dinners ready!"

Jake smirked and hung his head. Clearly, getting more kisses was worth more than starting a habit that would ultimately kill him. He certainly would eat more gum, just in case. Now the thought to kiss her was on his brain. Maybe after everyone went to sleep he would go for it. At least, he would assume they would shack up together. It would be rather weird, if they didn't. At least that was what he thought.

Lex and the soldiers had the table nice and tidy. They all sat their weapons, helmets and gloves. All of them had dirt on their face. Otherwise, genes suggested that pro-creation had already started. All types of genders, skin color, religion were present. It was almost like the world got its shit together, after Y2k. The excited soldier was the first to be ready, for food. He was a younger, redheaded male. a Christmas morning look was on his face.

"Don't get too antsy, Mason. You might scare the poor girl." said Lex.

The soldiers shared a laugh before all getting in a single-file line.

Sam smiled at the soldiers, even with their messy faces they all seemed a bit happier. It was probably from the idea of having a hot meal for once. She also noticed the table that they had set out for everyone to sit at, it was a mix and match table, there were some lawn chairs and even a ground bench swing. She watched them all line up, plates in hand and she continued to smile, there was something about order that seemed to make these dark days look better.

"Alright, I think I know who's hungry..." She teased a bit as she took the young redheads plate and filled it with a decent amount of pasta before giving him a small spoon of sauce. She had to make it stretch at the moment but she'd let them take more if there were left overs. She handed him back his plate and then took the next person's giving him as close to the same amount as she could get. As she severed she let her mind wander.

Jake was so teasing to her, but in a good way. A small part of her wondered if there was something between them now, an unspoken relationship that they both just assumed existed. She didn't mind really, Jake was a great guy. But she also noticed that there were a lot of young faces...Had people been going at it as well? Were there women out there and expecting. A small part of her felt sorry for them, it wasn't easy eating for one in these times, let alone for two. However, if there were more people like the soldiers, all living together and working together, then who was to say they didn't have medicine to help with birthing? Or maybe they did it the old fashioned way, letting nature run its course...a messy but less medicated alternative...

Either way, she still had some more questions for Lex, but those could wait for after dinner. She was certain no one would want to talk about medical questions while eating...

After about a mintue, they were all sitting around the table. Jake of course took a seat next to Sam. Lex ended up on the opposite side of the table. Before the soldiers started eating, they all took their hands into another. They all hung their head and began to whisper words and prayer in several languages. Jake was a little amazed at the sight. Not knowing what else to, he closed his eyes and tried to soak in the family-like vibe. It was contagious to him.

Slowly, all of the heads had looked up. Who knows what specifically they were praying about. Maybe some were thankful for food, life, love, friends? Upon their descent back to reality, they began to dig in. The clink and clank of silverware lightly littered the air.

"How is it?" Jake asked

It was collection of nods and thumbs up that thoroughly answered the question.

Once everyone had taken a seat, the soldiers all took each others hands a said a silent pray, some even doing so in different languages. Sam showed her respect and also bowed her head, waiting for all prayers to be finished before she started to eat. There was silence after that, everyone more interested in eating than conversation. She didn't mind though, food was food and even she was more interested in filling her stomach than light conversation. She looked to Jake when they asked the others if they liked it, smiling a bit as they all approved.

Soon her plate was empty and her stomach full, content with the amount she had gotten. She wasn't too worried about getting hungry later either as there was plenty of food to go around. So she left her plate in front of her and stood up looking to the others.

"Alright, there is still some left, does anyone want seconds?" She offered to them.

Jake lifted up his hoodie and putting the mid-section. It was a filling meal. He certainly did not want to risk exploding by eating another tasty noddle. The soldiers seemed to agree, Lex especially, that this was one great sit-down. A loud belch came from a petite Native American women, as Sam asked her question.

"Excuse me." she said softly.

A brief silence come over as everyone looked at one another. Faces panned left and right and some were directed across the table. They seemed to have a consensus when Mason shook his head no.

"Seems like you have some skill, as a chef." declared Lex.

Sam just shrugged her shoulders a bit at his comment and looked at him.

"Well, when you spent your childhood in rural North Dakota, learning how to take care of yourself isn't an option, it's a required lesson of life...Also, living off of packaged foods that you find in old buildings gets a little dull after awhile." She said as she reached out and grabbed her plate to take away. "I'll just pack up what's left and it's free game for anyone later on."

With that said she wandered back over to the work area and started to clean up, allowing the others to sit back and relax at the table if they wanted to.