Nostalgia Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Razilin

Original poster
so i was minding my own business on the internet and i saw this

now this is a disney channel summer commercial from 1995

most of the current gen iwakuans either dont remember this or never saw it because you werent born

this tune was stuck in my 11 year old head for a fucking summer and i distinctly remember singing it in the shower

at any rate, just like my reaction to parasite eve being made in 1997, it hits me that this commercial came out almost 20 years ago

NOSTALGIA!

what things did you come across that set off a nostalgia bomb?

Hahaha. I very vaguely remember seeing that commercial when I was young. I was about... seven though.

The commercial I will probably remember forever is this one:

• Love
Reactions: LunaValentine
Actually I'm pretty sure the average age of Iwaku members is 22!

I remember that. Most of my nostalgia bombs are musical. Like Alabama 'I'm in a hurry (and don't know why)", BNL "If I had $1,000,000". Or Neil Diamond "Sweet Caroline", as well as anything from N'Sync, the Backstreet Boys, or the Beach Boys.

Lisa Frank and Polly Pocket products set it off too, although when I had them, Polly was about as tall as my pinkie's fingernail, and the whole case definitely did fit in your pocket. Hot wheels are another one. My brother and I had so many... Oh, and Bionicle! Can't believe that's still going.

• Love
i wanted that Crossfire game so bad

when i played it at a friends house, it was basically two player hungry hungry hippos....all about who shot first

Minibit, now that you've mentioned that I'm listening to Sugar Ray and LFO. :|

No one ever gave me Crossfire. They always gave me dolls and girly play sets... Hungry Hungry Hippos was pretty intense though. Sometimes the last ball would get stuck on this spot in the center of the playing field.

• Love

king arthur as a high school football player who is transported back through time

that was our programming back in the days!

Gummi Bears.

This was the cartoon that paved the way for all western animation of the modern era.

Back in the really old days, cartoons were very short serials that were not designed for high quality; the thought prior to 1985 was that low-production cost cartoons will make more than enough money by cutting around corners.

Then in 1985 came The Adventures of the Gummi Bears, a massive gamble and paradigm shift from Walt Disney. They gambled on the idea that a high-production value cartoon will recoup its cost in syndication.

Thanks to Gummi Bears being a successful proof of concept, door was opened for shows like Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, and most of the Disney Animated Canon (Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, etc.)

Fun fact: I learned to play this theme song on the ocarina.

For the curious, here is the full theme song:

• Love
Reactions: 1 person

Say what you like about Star Trek: Enterprise, this scene was nostalgia made manifest, even if I don't consider Enterprise itself to be old enough to count as nostalgia.

But oh man, I had man tears seeing all three Trek generations and all three Trek captains recite the Enterprise mission.

By the way, Picard all the way.

I saw Sunny D today while shopping, I havn't seen it for absolutely years. I had to buy it.
Tasted like it used to. Got hit with the nostalgia bomb. I remember getting it all the time! :)
0005020000821_500X500.jpg

Reactions: Razilin

YOU GOT THE TOUCH! YOU GOT THE POWAAAA!

This was at once the greatest and the worst thing to ever come out of 1986.

Every kid - and I mean every kid - saw this movie. Because it was robots on the big screen. It was 80s power ballads blasting on movie theater speakers. It was Transformers the Movie.

And then Optimus Prime died.

And children cried.

What more need I say?

*sniff sniff* at least Pooh was my friend as a kid. Had no neighborhood so....yeah only one my age around.

almost forgot Darkwing Duck!

show of hands

who wants to form a gang so we can chant this?

Status
Not open for further replies.