North vs. South

Status
Not open for further replies.
He kissed her tenderly and lost himself once more. He desperately wished for her to remain with him. But why was he doing this? He knew how dangerous the prospect of them being seen together could be, yet here they were throwing themselves at each other. Her father would not tolerate it, and neither would his. But then how could he not do this? No one had made him this happy in so long. "You are bold to say such things," he chuckled. "But be that as it may, it would be improper even if we could be together. A woman must remain chaste until she is wedded."

Each new kiss was better then one before. Amira almost couldn't make herself get up. "What about the man? Is he to remain chaste while the woman is chained under lock and key?" But alas he was right. She couldn't let herself loose around this man. But her heart hurt her so to leave him now. If only they could spend just one night together. Again he was right that they weren't lucky enough for that. So she slowly sat up. "You're right. I must leave." Before she got up completely she leaned back down for another kiss. "But why is it that I can't stop?" she asked rhetorically.

He let their lips touch for the last time with a smile. "Because I am one of a kind," he joked. He stood up and embraced her as firmly as he could with just one arm. "Worry not," he whispered softly. "I will speak to you again when we have reached the city. In the mean time make no effort to speak to me. Your father is growing restless with our conversations, and the men are suspicious." He planted one last kiss on her cheek before releasing her.

She embraced his hug and kissed him back when he kissed her. She didn't say another word as she left his tent as quietly she could. The soldiers were by then asleep and had she not been sneaking around she would have woken then up. Once she got back to her tent she collapsed in her bed. She was exhausted. Not just because of the journey, but because she had to hold herself back with Willem. Did this happen to all girls who were with the man they loved? Even the thought of being in love was new to her for she had never been in love before. She glanced at the leather pouch that held Willem's pendant, but refrained from getting it out. It didn't take her long to fall asleep. The next few days she had nothing to do with Willem. She even let the doctor take care of Willem's injuries instead of taking care of them herself. It was killing her that she had to hide her true desires to spend more time with Willem. After a few more days they finally reached their destination. Amira was glad for many reasons. Partly because she could sleep in a normal bed, but also so she could try to see Willem again.

The next couple of days was plenty of time for Willem to think about where he would go after they had reached the city. None of the men still cared to speak with him, except for one of the young boys who helped to feed the horses. But most of his time was spent alone or with Rodrel seeing to his shoulder and chest. They had been healing well enough, but it would be some time before he could fight properly again.

Upon reaching the city, a warm relief flooded him. He would finally have a chance to sleep in a proper bed after being out in the wild for so long. The city's tavern held an inn, and most of the soldiers spent their time drinking and eating or finding serving wenches who would be willing to share their beds. Willem spotted Amira still sitting with her father discussing something quietly. He took his leave and went up to his room. It was not the most spacious area, but it was warm and comfortable looking enough. He would sleep well here tonight.

While Willem and the soldiers stayed in the tavern, Amira and her father were to stay in the tavern owner's personal rooms. They weren't anywhere near as extravagant as what she was used to, but she wasn't expecting anything so lavish anyway. At least it was clean and tidy. It had two rooms so she and her father wouldn't have to share a room, which she was delighted to hear about! But how was she supposed to see Willem? Her father had said that he wanted to stay in this town for a while before competing their trip to the castle. She had no idea why he wanted to stay, but she couldn't say she was completely disappointed.

There was little time before he would be riding north again. Willem was racking his mind with every possible option about what he should do. There was no way he was going to be able to return to his old life easily after this. He had seen too much and learned too much. Every southern soldier he killed would be a reminder that he was simply killing Amira's kin. And how could he live with that knowledge? He had to find a solution soon. Then a thought thought occurred to him. He was not certain the outcome would end in his favor, and it was risky to say the least, but he could think of little else that held any hope. All he had to do now was wait for Amira and he would inform her of his plan.

During dinner her father mentioned to her about a play a local theater was playing. The townsmen had set up in honor of the king and the princess. As much as Amira wanted to go she didn't feel so well. So excusing herself from the table she went to her room to lie down. After a while she grabbed the leather pouch that she kept close to her and pulled out the pendant. It was so beautiful. Suddenly a knock at the door startled her and she almost dropped it. She did however drop the pouch. Before the door could be opened she slipped it around her neck and hid it beneath her dress. Her father was just letting her know that he was leaving to watch the play and to not wonder far from the rooms. It had been 15 minutes since he had left and Amira decided she needed some fresh air. So she went for a walk not expecting to see Willem, but she wouldn't have complained if they did manage to bump into each other.

Willem could not sit around waiting for her much longer. He planned to leave in the morning, and if he did not see her tonight he would have to wait another month to see her at the council meeting. He left the tavern, the smell of ale and the sound of singing lingering on as he left the old building. He wandered the streets aimlessly. It was late, and there were few people in the streets save for some merchants and a few beggars. Had he carried any money with him he might have spared some. He was not too fond of this city, though it was only natural given how much he enjoyed his own home in Varuk, one of the most luxurious cities he had ever visited. This one paled in comparison to it, and not just because of how dirty the streets were and little activity went on at night.

Amira wandered around the streets and didn't notice that she was heading to the tavern till she was standing before the tavern doors themselves. Normally she would be flanked by her personal body guards, but tonight she sent them away to have some fun. Even though they could be in that tavern, she didn't want the risk of being seen by her people in a bar. So she back away and wondered off somewhere else. Soon she thought she saw Willem in front of her also wondering the streets as she was. Quickly she walked up behind him, "Hullo, stranger," she said softly. When he turned around he wouldn't find a princess in royal dresses and elegant jewelry, but a plainly dress woman who could almost pass for a peasant except her soft features.

Willem stared at the top of an old building that looked as though it was meant to be a watchtower of some sort. But the bell at the top seemed like it had not been used in years. He turned to continue his wandering when he all but ran into a woman with friendly voice. At first glance she looked like a simple peasant, but Willem would not soon forget the face before him. He lips curled into a grin and he grabbed her by the hand. "I have to say, you make the peasant garb almost look fashionable." To be fair, he looked no better in his current condition than she did, but he was not about to let the opportunity to tease her like this escape him, especially when this would likely be their last night together for some time.

"You looked so lonely?" she said with a frown. When he took her hand her smile reappeared. "Why thank you, kind sir." His hand felt warm against her cold hand. [color=]"Since I gave you part of my dress to help you out the tavern's daughter let me borrow one of hers. They have been very kind to us."[/color] She paused as he looked grim, "Father has decided that we are to stay in the town for a while," she said hoping that he would be happy to hear the news.

He raised his eyebrows thoughtfully at that, knowing quite well she wished for him to stay as well. "Come on, I have to tell you something." He pulled her off to the side of the road between two buildings, out of earshot from anyone who passed by. "I have an idea of how we can help our people. The next council meeting is only a month away. We will both be there, as will both kings. Your father will likely recognize me the moment he sees me there. So what I propose is that we wait until the meeting before we make our move. Then, we will tell them of us. It is all that is left to do. No one wants the fighting to continue, so what arguments could they make?"

Amira's eyes widened as he dragged her away. She wasn't afraid that he would do something to her. She was more surprised really, but she quickly refocused when he told her his plan. She had to wait a month to see him again? It was better then none, but she still hated having to wait. Maybe her father would agree to the marriage between her and Prince Willem. It was definitely better then sneaking around all the time. "I like your idea. But I have to admit that I hate having to wait a month before I can see you again. And I'm not sure if my father will agree to it. I mean he does want the war to end, but he doesn't really know you." She leaned against the wall. "What would your father say?"

In truth he was not sure what his father would think. So much chaos had reigned for so long. Would he be willing to see through to such a change? "I don't know what he would say," he admitted sorrowfully. "But we must try anyway." He placed a hand on her cheek. The warmth of her skin was refreshing to the touch. "And I would not enjoy the prospect of waiting a month to see you, I admit. But if this works, then I will be able to see you every day after that month until we grow old into death."

His hand was a comfort to her in the dark. Able to see him everyday till they died? That would be a wonderful outcome. "Do we dare to believe that we have enough luck?" she asked wearily. "I could probably talk to my father into a possible alliance with the North. But once he sees you I don't know what he'll do after that." She was so tired and so sad about everything. "Could we at least spend this one night together before you leave? My father wont even notice that I'm gone. I'm such a heavy sleeper." she blushed. She meant the request innocently, but realized how not so innocent it sounded. "I don't mean it that way," she laughed nervously.

I took her hands in his. The king of the South would likely be furious when he realized the prince of the North had been hiding under his nose for days. But he had spent enough time in his presence to know that he was not a cruel man. "He may be upset, but there is no other option at this point. We have to do what we must." He smiled at her suggestion and held his breath to avoid laughing. "One night with you would make the month-long wait worth it in the end." He pulled her close and kissed her lovingly under the moonlight.

She let herself get lost in his kiss. Oh how she would miss it so! She wrapped her arms around his neck. For once she was glad that she wasn't wearing a royal attire. If anyone saw them kissing they wouldn't think it was the prince or the princess; just two love struck people trying to sneak in kisses. At this moment she could hope for anything. She could hope for peace between the two countries and most importantly the hope that her father would let her marry this wonderful man. "If only this night could last forever," she said between kisses.

"Come on, let's get out of the night air." They went back into the rowdy tavern. Everyone was far too busy drinking and dancing to notice their presence, not that they would have taken the time to notice two people wearing the rags that they were. The moment they were in the room alone Willem shut the door behind him and climbed onto the bed, pulling Amira with him. "One more night. But we will see each other soon after this. I promise." He pulled her into a forceful but tender kiss, letting his passion for her flow through him like ecstasy.

Amira followed him into the tavern. Being a princess she had never entered a place like this before. She all but forbidden to leave the castle grounds. Normally she wouldn't have a need to leave the castle grounds anyway. Even though the place smelled like something rotting she almost didn't even notice it as she followed Willem to his room. It was awkward to be in his tent alone, but this was even more awkward. She let him pull her into the bed with him and wasn't about to refuse his kiss. This warmth that was coursing through her right now was nothing that she had ever felt before. She deepened his kiss with one of her own; surprised that she had so much passion to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.