North vs. South

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willem did not sleep as easily as he would have liked. He had caught a fever from the infected wound, and his dreams were no more pleasant. He wandered through darkness and found no light until he saw a figure appear in the distance. When he ran to it, he was that it was his father, standing there over the body of Willem's older brother. Jacen had died almost a year ago, but his father had never recovered from the trauma of it. The king turned to his second son with tears in his eyes. "Why could you not be more like him?" Willem found tears in his own eyes and pleaded to with his father to understand. But before he could say much more there was a sword protruding from his chest. As he fell to the ground, Willem saw the man behind him was King Hadrian, laughing uncontrollably. Willem attempted to tackle him to the ground, but the man had vanished. He turned around to see Amira standing there, tears in her eyes. He ran to her as quickly as he could. But before he could reach her, an abyss appeared beneath her feet and she was swallowed into darkness.

Willem woke with a start, his body completely drenched in sweat. He could see the light of of dawn flooding the tent, and the sounds of men slowly waking and packing could be heard all around him.

It didn't take long to find her father. He was busy sorting out the details of their departure. She walked up to him and bid him good morning. She tried to be as sweet as she possibly could. What she really wanted to do was to go see Garris. Or Willem. But she needed her father to believe that his daughter was repentant and still his little girl. Even though she was a grown woman she knew that he still wanted her to be his little girl. She helped him to take care of different details with the departure, mainly the transportation of the wounded men. Knowing that most of the men were too sick to travel great distances she decided that they should be moved to a nearby town where she would get as many doctors to over see their healing. She even hoped that her father would let her stay to help out, but she knew that that hope was going to be short lived. So her next hope was that Willem was well enough to ride on his own so he wouldn't be left behind. After she and the captain found a suitable town for the men, she walked back to her tent to rest. Oh how she wanted to see her wounded prince My prince? she thought to herself He is not my prince. Just my friend. She shook her head at her own silliness. After a while she decided to check on Willem to make sure he was ok. Once she got there she did like what she found. Some of the men seemed to be healing ok and where very respectful of her as she passed them by. But others seemed to have only gotten worse. When she found Willem she quickly got some water for him to drink.

Willem spent most of the morning working his shoulder and trying to regain some form of movement in it. Unfortunately the healing process for something this deep was going to be slow and painful. His legs, however, were much stronger than they had been yesterday. They were sore from the intense fighting he had been in, but that was nothing he could not bare. He downed a mug of wine Rodrel had left for him to dull his senses. He did not have much of an appetite this morning, but that was to be expected. He beamed when he saw Amira approaching him. "You look wonderful today, my lady," he said courteously, bowing elegantly to illustrate that he had much better control of his legs today.

Her concerned look faded from her face when she saw him bow to her, "You may be able to walk, but you look pale." She handed him the water. "Here drink this." Then she took him out the tent. He needed some fresh air as the tent still stunk from the illness of the sick men. "I hate being in the tent. I love the men, but that tent reeks of death." She nodded to the dead bodies of men who had died that night. But she turned her focus back on the prince. "As you can tell we are moving out and heading back home. I don't suggest it, but if you really think you are better, then you might want to try to head back home. Just be careful." She did her best to hide her disappointment that he could leave. "But you would have to walk on foot. We do not have any horses to spare."

He desperately wished to journey back home, but he was no fool. He knew that he would not have the strength to walk all the way back to the northlands just yet. And should he encounter any trouble on the way, he was certainly in no condition to defend himself. And while he did not want to admit it, not even to himself, he had little desire to see Amira leave. He did not have the faintest idea what was drawing him to her, but he knew it would not be easy to continue fighting men of the south knowing that he was killing her kin. Things would be different now, regardless of whether he chose to return home now or later. And he needed more time to think anyway. "Traveling in my condition, especially on foot, may not be the safest route. The men say we are marching to Barrondel. I am sure I can find a horse there and be on my way."

Her heart jumped from excitement when she heard that he would be staying. Even if it were only a few days. She couldn't help the smile that appeared on her face. "I didn't think it would be wise either, but I didn't want you to think that I was trying to hold you back. Your father is probably very upset about your death." She glanced shyly at him as she asked her next question, "And I'm sure that you have someone you love who is very distraught that you could be dead as well?" She didn't know why asked that. Maybe she was hoping to find out that he was engaged or courting someone so she could finally stop having such feelings for him. Even though her feelings weren't strong she knew how they could build. Not that her father would let her court much less marry this man. But he was kind from what she had seen from him. He would make a good king if he was truly like this all the time.

Willem's face grew somber at the question. He had a love once. But that was a simple fairy tale. "I don't actually. Well, not anymore. I once loved a girl named Faliya. But she was lowborn, and my father would have none of it. You can probably imagine that did not stop me of course. I left the palace every night to see her. It was one of the happiest times in my life. But my father found out about it eventually, and he was furious. His punishment was one of the worst things I have experienced. He forced me to watch her execution." A small tear began to well up in his eye, but he blinked it away. "He told me she could have lived if I had just obeyed him and remained true to tradition." He was quiet for a moment before he shook his head and forced a laugh. "I'm sorry. I don't know why I am telling you this."

She almost couldn't resist giving the man a hug for he looked so sad. "I'm so sorry." She wished that she didn't have to hide her feelings for the man, but she didn't want him to follow his lover's fate. Their countries might be a war often, but they would see each other every now and then at court. A place where royalty and noblemen would pretend to be at peace with each other. At least her father wasn't as cruel. "Why would your father do such a thing?" She shivered at the thought of watching someone you love die right before your eyes. "You don't have to be sorry. It is I who must apologize. I asked such a stupid question." She couldn't resist grabbing for his hand in an attempt to console him. Just then she thought of something. "If your the prince then how come I haven't seen you at court in the past?" She didn't realize that she was still holding his hand.

He felt rather idiotic talking about his former love. It was in the past, and there was nothing he could do to change it. "My father has always been a traditionalist, and any attempt to deviate from that makes him angry. He saw it as the only way to show me the consequences of being with a lowborn girl. But do not blame yourself. You were unaware and were simply curious. There is no need to apologize." He was startled by her gesture, but he welcomed the comfort of her hand readily. He had not felt this close to a woman since Faliya. No, that was a dangerous thought, and he should not be thinking such things. The other question brought back other memories to him, and he frowned slightly. "He used to bring my elder brother, Jacen. But that was before he was killed in battle. He said I would have to attend the next annual meeting. I suppose now he is making plans to have my sister Rhiya attend."

They had been walking for a while and she wasn't leading him to anywhere particular. She just enjoyed walking with him by her side. When he mentioned that his father was a traditionalist she understood what he meant. "My father is also a traditionalist, but I don't believe that he would do something that barbaric. He loves his people and wants them to love him. Not fear him. But you said you have a sister? I am an only child," she chuckled, "It is a blessing and a curse at the same time." As they continued to walk they happened to come across her father. Quickly she released Willem's hand and straightened up. "Hullo, father. I was just making sure that our guest was being treated properly."

Despite having to mention the deaths of both Faliya and Jacen, Willem found that he was rather enjoying the walk. He was growing more and more comfortable with Amira at each passing moment. "I can imagine the pressure you must feel with being the only heir. It sounds like a burden," he let out a small laugh but quickly stopped upon seeing King Hadrian. He was with two scouts who had just returned from their expedition.

The king eyed them both suspiciously. He was not used to seeing his daughter wander the outskirts of his camp with a man like this, especially one from the north. They were becoming far too close, and he would have to put an end to it soon. He dismissed the scouts before turning his full attention on them. "I assume you two are ready to march then." He then looked directly at Willem. "And are you marching with us to the south? I cannot guarantee that someone of your appearance will receive a warm welcome in southern cities, even one as remote as Barrondel."

Amira was quick to answer for Willem, "He cannot be left behind. He is still too weak." She wasn't sure if her father believed her. She could tell that he was getting suspicious. "If you don't believe me then ask the Rodrel. He'll tell you that this man cannot walk all the way back home." It was killing her that she could not tell her father who this man was for she hated lying to him. In the past she used to tell him everything for he was her only confidant. But since the war started she was able to spend as much time him as she used to. If only she could tell him and he not overreact by killing Willem.

Willem bowed to the king and got down on one knee, careful not to move his shoulder too awkwardly. That was one area that would not heal for a while. "If you wish, your grace, I will leave your camp now. I do not wish to cause any trouble for you or your army." The irony of the statement was almost too much for him to handle.

The king stroked his chin thoughtfully. It would be difficult to make sure he did not attract too much attention in the city. But at the same time he did not want to have to hear Rodrel's constant bantering about his healing techniques. There were enough headaches to go around already. "No," he finally said. "If you are unable to travel without aid then it is best you stay with us for now. But do not wander around too often, especially with Amira. I will not have whispers going around that my daughter fancies a merchant trader."

Amira's face blushed brightly. "Father, why would you think of such a thing? I'm only trying to take care of my patient." Then a thought came to her. It was a feeble thought, but maybe it might work out. "Father, you hate this war as much as I do, correct? Then we should be an example to our people. You know that this war is nothing but political nonsense. So maybe she should try to change it by showing our people that not all Northerners are as vicious as the king." She glanced at Willem hoping he wouldn't take it personally. Although she did think his father was a vicious man. But if his people were more like Willem then maybe they could come to some sort of agreement. But then again Willem's father would have to agree to that agreement and it didn't look like he really wanted to end the war himself. This might be harder then she imagined. But she was going to sure try!

The king looked from one to the other, his brow furrowing into a frown. "Are you suggesting that I let you two be seen together? That is completely absurd. No argument with you Mr. Garris, but my daughter cannot be seen with a man of such low birth. Like I said, it would cause unwanted rumors to run around. And not just in the camp. Word would spread all around both kingdoms."

Had Willem not been under the impression that his life was still in danger, he probably would dared to tell him of his highborn blood. But that would be one of the worst mistakes he could possibly make, and he was not about to give himself away after coming so far. "I understand, your grace," he said with a slight bow. "I will only see your daughter when she tends to my injuries and at no other time."

Amira stiffened at her father's words, but did her best to hide her anger. "Father, what I meant was that we should not be so judgmental of the Northern people." She could tell that her father was not going to listen to her so she smiled as sweetly as she could and walked away with the excuse of tending her horse. She did make sure that a servant boy helped Willem back to the healing tent to prepare for departure. She wanted to ride with him during the trip but her father kept a close eye on her as they rode out. The trip was so boring.

Few of the men were willing to talk to him at all during the trip. He was not surprised that they would ignore him due to his northern characteristics, but he still found it odd that they would treat a supposedly humble merchant the same way they would treat an enemy soldier. At least none of them had threatened to kill him at all. He could see Amira riding near the front of the line next to the king. Even though they were not speaking to each other for the march, he found himself growing closer to her all the time.

I'm so bored out of my mind! she thought to herself. Since she was at the front of the procession she didn't notice Willem getting closer to her. But she did begin to drag behind. Soon she found herself riding even with Willem. Smiling she glanced at him, "I just can't seem to lose you can I?" she teased. Naturally she didn't mind. But the men around her began to give her funny looks. She didn't remember them doing that before. "You feeling ok?" She wished that she could just gallop away with Willem so she could get away from her father's prying eyes. Or at least to where she could talk to Willem without others questioning her sanity.

Willem looked around at the odd looks they were getting but did not mention them. "I have a habit of appearing when people wish for me to be present," he chuckled. "It is well past midday, which means we will be making camp before long. I may need you to check these bandages again after we have stopped." He winked knowingly. He felt nothing wrong with the bandages right now, but any chance he could get to talk to her was worth it. "We best separate for the moment. You don't want your father to see you speaking to me."

She rolled her eyes, "I hate these stupid protocols. They are so annoying!" She knew she sounded like an angry teenager, but she was in fact an angry teenager. Her father had taught her to act better then that, but sometimes acting like a teenager was better then acting like a jerk. And it felt good to act like her own age sometime. She smiled when he winked at her. "As soon as we have settled I will come to take care of your bandages."[/color/ Quickly she made her way back to her father. She didn't mean to ignore him the whole time, but he did seem like he had a stick up his butt the whole ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.