Nikaigan [Japanimerican Cyberpunk]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh shiiiiiit, we got our first Eastern European entry!

You win the First Guy With a Slav Accent Award!

Bound to get one of these eventually. Congratulations on no longer living in Russia.

Hello everyone~ I'm new here, but i've been sitting really quietly for a long time until this thread showed up.

I love your idea and creativity and I would love to take part in the fun if you all would have me? ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

Go ahead and make a character, if you want to give it a shot.

Runner Tracking Number: 6774
Alias: Uplink
Blood Type: O-

Appearance: At 5'2, Tsuki is quite short. At about 135lbs. Aside from the lithe tail she sports, Tsuki doesn't seem to be all that augmented. A close look at her eyes while they're in use would reveal the enhancements there, but otherwise it seems they're mostly internal. In addition to what's pictured above, she also wears a helmet to help conceal her identity during runs.

She seems to prefer rather formal clothing on a day to day basis whether that ranges from a nice shirt and skirt to more fancy outfits like a full blown suit. Odd considering she isn't much for leaving her apartment,

History:
Growing up in Nikiagen, Tsuki was raised in a well-off family although both her parents worked. Father owned a mod shop while mother worked for one the corporations that developed neural mods. She was never neglected, but she did grow up wishing that overtime wasn't the norm and that most of her time spent with father wasn't in the office above the store. Still, she probably wouldn't have developed a fondness for tinkering with mods and fiddling with scrap if her father hadn't used them as distractions for her whenever he couldn't be distracted.

While messing with hardware quickly became a hobby as she grew up, Tsuki's talent laid in messing with computer systems and cracking into security. She never became malicious with it considering the talking down she'd gotten for almost crashing her father's servers as an experiment. It was the act of bypassing and breaking in that Tsuki really enjoyed, rather than discovering what was so well protected.

Her talent went unpolished for quite some time as she kept herself from going too far from the law. Maybe some small corporations to push herself, or somebody she'd heard particularly nasty rumors about to see if she could dig up any dirt. Her ambitions in the field were remarkably small, and so she wound up working for as a software engineer after graduating from university. Not the most glamorous of lives, but Tsuki thought she was content. Typing up code wasn't all too bad, she got to check in with the hardware engineers every so often, and some nights she'd find a target and have a go at it.

Course, it would be just her luck to be working overtime when her company was targeted by a group of Runners. They probably didn't expect her to try and fight back when her work abruptly disappeared, but Tsuki felt a fire ignite at the challenge. Without any of her equipment on her though, and limited to legal civilian mods, she couldn't do much more than hold out against the better equipped Runner before blacking out once her connection was cut.

Well aware of the existence of Runners, Tsuki's first encounter with them ignited something in her. With the company's database in shambles and their upcoming projects given to who knew which one of their competitors, she took the chance to hop off a sinking ship and chase after her newfound desires. She'd need to be better though… Better equipment, mods, programs, and skills. It'd been a simple hobby before, but now she wanted to see how far she could go, and hell, maybe become the best.

Time to put those savings to good use, huh?

Psych Profile: Tsuki enjoys getting along with others. She likes to speak freely among her co-workers, however temporary they may be, and tries to maintain a polite tone. She has a dislike for needless noise, and doesn't often enjoy the company of more boisterous individuals. Still… work is work, even in unpleasant company, and she doesn't let distaste interfere with her performance.

Highly intelligent and proud of her abilities as a hacker, she can get competitive enough that it interferes with her professionalism at times. Maybe bypassing all the programs weren't necessary, but she proved she could right?

She has no love for the more violent sides of Runner business, and seems to be rather weak when it comes to blood and corpses, to say nothing of violent negotiations. If she can tune herself out during it, expect her to.

Mode of Operation: A hacker before a Runner, her style tends to be subtle rather than overwhelming countermeasures and security personnel. If there's a way to slip past, it's just as much proof of her ability as something more overt. Even if that way might be something as mundane as dumpster diving for information, and then convincing some tired schmuck to give up their password on a Friday night.

When her hacking skills aren't required, Tsuki is proven to be decent at utilizing drones to provide reconnaissance or even fire support if she brings along one of the bigger ones. She has very little experience in close quarters, but she does have programs that can interfere with cyberware and mods, so she isn't completely helpless since most combatants tend to have some installed.

Outside of combat, she's got a decent sense for tinkering with equipment and performs basic maintenance on her drones, weapons, and other gear.

Equipment:
Crusader II: A machine pistol chambered in .45 and holding 40 rounds per magazine, Tsuki's been modded with the smartgun feature. Without the magazine inserted the firearm is quite easy to hide. It doesn't penetrate body armor well, but the rate of fire means it'll hurt like a bitch.

Micro-deck Peaks: A small cyberterminal that's packed with powerful hardware that's more than just a tad illegal. It's also been filled with the standard slew of hacking programs, a few illegal ones, and some of her own design. It leans a bit towards the more defensive side of things, keeping her safe during hacks should something go wrong.

Annex Helmet: A decently high-end full-face helmet, the visor can swing up to reveal the wearer's face. When down, the helmet is environment sealed and has an air filtration system as well as a small 10 minute air supply. The visor is designed to allow full vision while also automatically compensating for environmental factors such as when a flash bang goes off right in front of the wearer. Doesn't interfere with smartgun usage either.

Drones: Tsuki owns a number of these ranging from small scouters to a medium sized fire support hover drone that is far too bulky for her to like carrying around if unneeded. If someone wants to lug it on their back though, she might just give them a hug.

Atlantes Wrist Guard: A bracer made of black metal that Tsuki wears on her left forearm, it doesn't seem like much until it reconfigures into a katar-like blade with a thought. It's something to catch people by surprise with and as a last resort if needed. Also lets her block people that use swords if she has to.

Augmentations: In terms of physical augments, Tsuki sports a cybereye augment that includes a smartlink along with some basic muscle enhancement and bone lacing. She's a bit tougher and stronger than she looks, but it's more for survivability than combat usage.

She has a datajack behind her left ear, but also sports a thin prehensile tail that has datajack functions. Typically it's used to forcibly interface with others by surprise and upload some program to mess with artificial limbs or complex enough mods from her Micro-deck.

Mental augmentations to increase speed of thought and her brain's processing capability are where most of Tsuki's money has gone though. Her main battlefields are networks where speed of thought and the ability to react are the most important things. Well... after preparation, but there aren't any mods that can really help with that. There are some internal decks, but one that's powerful and secure enough that she'd be willing to stick inside her? Far too expensive for her.

Day Life: Tsuki is somewhat of a NEET at the moment and relies mainly on the funds from Runner jobs to support herself. Occasionally she tests herself against corporations and other organizations to try and find some weakness she can report for a nice sum of cash.

Runner Status: Active!

Last edited:
And because I feel like rambling about it, I might as well toss up whatever BS comes to mind about my character. Mostly for the amusement of others.

Biggest thing is if I wanted to do things differently and go for a more silly or irreverent approach, I'd probably set her up where she still IS an idol. Instead of being some sort of former one. In this case, the criminal activities would probably be part of the job, either for simsense recordings or just blogging about it (totally underground and names changed to protect the guilty~) or whatever else. It's her gimmick, or something. This would definitely lead to a more goofy tone, rather than a serious operators one.

Honoka's part-time jobs are intentionally left to the imagination, when it comes to what sort of bar and what sort of job there.

There's something about her body that takes and adapts to augmentations very well. Which might be part of how she ended up in the role she was given. Sort of running with a perk that's common enough in cyberpunk RPGs. It's also why she's AB blood type, being the universal recipient, and all. Speaking of blood type, some of her personality is colored by her blood type, because if I've got to list it, I might as well get some use out of it.

Reactions: Pinkleton
And because I feel like rambling about it, I might as well toss up whatever BS comes to mind about my character. Mostly for the amusement of others.

Biggest thing is if I wanted to do things differently and go for a more silly or irreverent approach, I'd probably set her up where she still IS an idol. Instead of being some sort of former one. In this case, the criminal activities would probably be part of the job, either for simsense recordings or just blogging about it (totally underground and names changed to protect the guilty~) or whatever else. It's her gimmick, or something. This would definitely lead to a more goofy tone, rather than a serious operators one.

Honoka's part-time jobs are intentionally left to the imagination, when it comes to what sort of bar and what sort of job there.

There's something about her body that takes and adapts to augmentations very well. Which might be part of how she ended up in the role she was given. Sort of running with a perk that's common enough in cyberpunk RPGs. It's also why she's AB blood type, being the universal recipient, and all. Speaking of blood type, some of her personality is colored by her blood type, because if I've got to list it, I might as well get some use out of it.

I like Diva the way she is. A lot in fact. She's got this sort of unorthodox origin that while sounding almost silly, is still very viable. The fact that you don't play it up for laughs gives the character more of a sense of self awareness. Like they're aware that their background isn't exactly normal. There's also the fact that she still raises up a lot of themes that come with cyberpunk without cranking it to 11 and giving herself some sob story background. Themes like dehumanization, not just due to body augments but how she was seen as property and a brand rather than a person. So much so that her company can literally replace her by taking another girl and modding her to be identical in every way. It raises identity issues better than any sulking, spiteful cyborg soldier.

It's like you've set out a canvas of absurdity, but painted something on it that uses the silly situation to do something you wouldn't be able to do with any other background, at least not with this efficency.

Also, I put the blood type thing exactly because I wanted to see if anyone would match up their character's personalities to the blood type personality tests and so far, you're the only one who's caught on. Kudos.

Reactions: Sludgemouth
I like Diva the way she is. A lot in fact. She's got this sort of unorthodox origin that while sounding almost silly, is still very viable. The fact that you don't play it up for laughs gives the character more of a sense of self awareness. Like they're aware that their background isn't exactly normal. There's also the fact that she still raises up a lot of themes that come with cyberpunk without cranking it to 11 and giving herself some sob story background. Themes like dehumanization, not just due to body augments but how she was seen as property and a brand rather than a person. So much so that her company can literally replace her by taking another girl and modding her to be identical in every way. It raises identity issues better than any sulking, spiteful cyborg soldier.

It's like you've set out a canvas of absurdity, but painted something on it that uses the silly situation to do something you wouldn't be able to do with any other background, at least not with this efficency.

I probably won't be changing her. I do like her for being so ridiculous, anyway. It really is that sort of approach you picked up on. The core concept is silly, but built up into a more serious character.

Still open?
For a bit longer.

Those of you who are still writing sheets, finish them up. Sign ups will be closing within the next couple of days, and then we'll be choosing who made it in.

For a bit longer.

Those of you who are still writing sheets, finish them up. Sign ups will be closing within the next couple of days, and then we'll be choosing who made it in.
so a limited number of people who make CS's are even going to get in?

That's a shame because this is massively up my alley, I won't bother however if that's the way things are operating, it's supremely unlikely I'd get chosen due to competing against talent, and trying to fill out an arbitrary 'what the GM thinks is interesting' sounds rather difficult honestly

Last edited:
For a bit longer.

Speaking of, how many slots are there?

so a limited number of people who make CS's are even going to get in?

That's a shame because this is massively up my alley, I won't bother however if that's the way things are operating, it's supremely unlikely I'd get chosen due to competing against talent, and trying to fill out an arbitrary 'what the GM thinks is interesting' sounds rather difficult honestly

It's something I do to keep games from getting too cluttered. RP's with something like 13 players tend to get bogged down especially when people don't post. There's also the fact that I find smaller, tighter knit groups more interesting since it's possible to focus on each character at some points. Personal character arcs will be a thing in this RP, and you can't do that if you accept every single application and end up with a small platoon of characters. We're trying to get a tightly knit squad going, not a fighting game roster.
But if you pay me money I'll give you alternate costume DLC and an arena mode.

There's also the fact that players in cyberpunk have a tendency to get stuck in tropes, and I've seen (and been in) RP's where players follow these tropes so religiously, you end up with like 4 characters who are nearly all carbon copies of the gruff, stubble-keeping, cybersoldier/detective with an unoriginal take on identity issues. Just, y'know, with different names and guns.

Speaking of, how many slots are there?
At the moment, I'm thinking somewhere between 5 to 6 characters.

• Useful
Reactions: Psyker Landshark
It's something I do to keep games from getting too cluttered. RP's with something like 13 players tend to get bogged down especially when people don't post. There's also the fact that I find smaller, tighter knit groups more interesting since it's possible to focus on each character at some points. Personal character arcs will be a thing in this RP, and you can't do that if you accept every single application.
There's also the fact that players in cyberpunk have a tendency to get stuck in tropes, and I've seen (and been in) RP's where players follow these tropes so religiously, you end up with like 4 characters who are nearly all carbon copies of the gruff, stubble-keeping, cybersoldier/detective with an unoriginal take on identity issues. Just, y'know, with different names and guns.

At the moment, I'm thinking somewhere between 5 to 6 characters.
I understand I really do, I just doubt I can compete with some of the people you've already gotten especially since I only saw this recently and don't really have any ideas off the top of my head and thus doubt I can get something out in time

I understand I really do, I just doubt I can compete with some of the people you've already gotten especially since I only saw this recently and don't really have any ideas off the top of my head and thus doubt I can get something out in time
Up to you in the end.

For all others, deadline is close.
@Shiba
@Minerva
and
@alaska have all expressed interest, but have yet to submit a sheet.

I'll wait a day more for them to finish up anything they might have. If they all submit it today, then I'll close sign ups a bit early cause I'm eager to start. Once closed, it'll be a fight to the death to see who gets to exist in a nonexistant city.

A day? Yea I really doubt I can come up with anything(decent) in that time frame, damn...

What ideas I do have are vague and not really fleshed out

Oh it's really close...I most likely won't make it in time...so don't want to hold up your enthusiasm or that of anyone else who had previously submitted character sheets. I'm truly sorry, I apparently overestimated myself with my general willpower to be dedicated to this as well as my fluctuating daily life. So before I go back to sitting quietly in the far distance I pray you all enjoy yourselves with this amazing idea~
@Pinkleton

Runner Tracking Number: 7654

Alias: Sourcecode

Blood Type: AB+

Appearance:
techpriest_header.png

This is how Jarrin appears with his head, below the skull and neck area he's largely pretty human, he tends to wear clothing with hoods he's tailored himself to fit the augments, he isn't ashamed of them nor annoyed by staring, but some areas of his head can make other people uncomfortable to see. Not because many people in the city are bothered by such things, but because his surgery was as cheap as possible while still maintaining quality, thus parts of his head and neck can be...grotesque to look at.

For work purposes he wears clothing that leaves no skin exposed, he has found that a valuable intimidating factor can come from his appearance, and letting enemies or others wonder just how extensively modified he is.

History: Jarrin does Runner work for one reason, and one reason only.

Money

The reason for this is simple, while the surgery done to apply the cybernetics to his body that sustain his life work, and work well, they are still unsightly and he would like to return to a state of being that is more normal then what it is currently. At the age of eighteen while riding the underground public transport system, it was violently derailed by an accident.

Evidently an unknown group, possibly Runners, possibly criminals, terrorists, soldiers, or even black ops had an altercation with law enforcement, the train that Jarrin was riding was not a target or even part of either side's plans, but merely collateral damage. The details are hazy to say the least, at least the ones publicly released, but some sort of explosion went off and the result for passengers inside the train was as if as Jarrin described it "An angry giant picked up the series of cars and shook them about ferociously in a fit of insane rage."

That was all he remembered before he impacted a length of metal that narrowly missed impaling his brain, had this been the day and age of old 21st century Earth, he would have died for certain, or been completely unable to live anything resembling even a gross caricature of a normal life.

Thankfully, he lived in the here and now, where advanced biotech and cybernetics exist. While Jarrin nor his family were particularly wealthy, they were at least middle-class, and he had been working hard to store up money to go to a prestigious university. That plan was derailed as his parents and himself diverted savings towards the purchase of both the materials and the expertise needed to begin extensive cybernetic surgery on Jarrin to save his life.

The main purpose of the surgery was to restore normal(relatively speaking) sight, respiratory functions, and eating, and to repair any other damage done by the accident. Money was put towards the cheapest augments available, while still retaining quality, this was when they were informed that they could indeed do that, but such cybernetics look highly mechanical and dehumanizing.

Jarrin gave his consent that he was alright with this, he could get more money later, he needed what he had now. It was fortunate he made this decision as well, for if he'd gone for something better he may have completely depleted his own savings and potentially bankrupted his parents, who were very loving and wanted their son to live a normal life, willing to potentially lose everything for the sake of their son.

When it was done, he looked like something out of a science fiction poster or novel, his eyes clicked and whirred when they focused on something, his breathing was a series of hisses and mechanical noises and...eating was a difficult process. Overall Jarrin wasn't too upset by this though, as he was always a rather phlegmatic individual and calmly reasoned that this was a vast improvement over being dead or worse.

Looking at what money he had left, he realized it would take a long time to restore what he'd worked so hard to obtain, even worse the university he had wanted to go to had issues with discrimination against those with augments, so it was unlikely he would be able to go there even if he had the money.

Pondering his options, he in secret began to quietly devote himself to crime, nothing serious and Jarrin avoided hurting people who didn't deserve it if he could, he mainly did a lot of cybercrime, hacking that is to say, using what money he had left to gain an education in coding, programming, and...more illegal education, for learning how to hack security systems was not something taught by any university he knew of.

He would by any means necessary, earn enough money to obtain first better augments that would make him appear human once again. Then to obtain enough finances to go to a good university once again, and get the education he's always wanted, to where he can work and get the money he needs to live comfortably the rest of his life.

Psych Profile: In terms of psych profile, Jarrin doesn't really stand out much, despite his horrifying accident and the trauma that followed. His emotional and mental stability is still high and he does not suffer much depression or anger over his state of being, and copes with the potential issues that arise from his condition.

Quite phlegmatic, stoic and calm. These emotional traits make Jarrin quite good at his job as he rarely loses his cool or gets emotionally imbalanced, this makes him more capable of thinking rationally and logically. This isn't to say that Jarrin doesn't have emotions and doesn't feel them quite often, he is simply better at controlling them then other people are.

This also means that while Jarrin isn't a particularly malevolent individual nor much of a jerkass, if it is a logical thing he may still act out deeds that could be considered morally questionable if he feels the situation calls for it, while he very much would rather not do such things and indeed tries to avoid taking jobs that might mean he has to, he is not adverse to it if necessity calls for it.

Modus Operandi: Jarrin is primarily a hacker, a cyberwarfare expert, if you need the electronic defenses of security systems and AI's defeated and bypassed, he is the one you turn to for the job. Electronics, mechanics, cyberware, AI systems, he is quite knowledgeable about those fields. Not a master or prodigy by any means, he is nonetheless good enough that many clients turn to him when you require someone capable of defeating said systems without blatant brute force.

It is in such areas far better to be subtle then obvious, and thus Jarrin has gotten a lot of experience in bypassing such things without being detected or even necessarily leaving behind a trace that he was there.

This isn't to say that Jarrin isn't capable of other talents, while he isn't as adept at fighting as other Runner's might be, he makes up with this by learning to be stealthy and subtle, to get to and from places without being seen.

Equipment

fp.jpg

When confronted with enemies or security systems that are heavily armored or mechanized that Jarrin cannot avoid or bypass, he has this little beauty. While small, the Zeus Class Fusion Pistol is capable of producing kilowatts of power to give energy to the shots it produces, this power comes from batteries that are slotted in and disintegrate after being used up. These energy blasts are designed specifically to short circuit electronics and machinery, and often to cause them to catastrophically overload.

Powered Armors, robots, and other similar pieces of technology are highly vulnerable to this, unless they are top of the line produced and are hardened against such tech, this is Jarrin's go to when backed into a corner.

Despite being meant primarily against tech, the pistol is also more then capable of causing severe trauma to organic targets as well, but that is not it's purpose and Jarrin typically does not use it for that.

If safety failsafes are bypassed, the pistol can be 'overcharged', allowing it to unleash a bolt of energy that can cause massive trauma to whatever target it hits, however overcharging the pistol advised strongly against by every safety precaution from the manufacturer, as the pistol has a chance of potentially overloading and exploding in the user's face.
34d416686aac8aab3df613b272da2279.jpg

Jarrin's weapon of primary usage throughout any mission he runs, the Viper is compact, easy to handle and wield, quick to reload, silent, and capable of both single-fire and fully automatic. A machine pistol that is capable of both subtle, stealthy work and full out firefights if need be, using .45 ACP caliber rounds fired at high penetration speeds to allow the pistol to have firepower while still remaining compact.

For the Runner of discretion...

The advanced tech in the silencer Jarrin attaches(not shown above) is capable of neutralizing sound to a degree that while not completely silent, is quiet enough that he can dispatch enemies without alerting an entire area to Jarrin's presence. When in trouble that cannot be avoided he detaches it, as the silencer reduces muzzle velocity.

Carbon-Fiber Knives
: Kept hidden on various parts of Jarrin's mission gear are knives made of a carbon fiber, allowing them to pierce even some metals, some of them are meant for throwing, and some for hand to hand combat. Not how Jarrin prefers to fight, but if it comes down to it, having them is better then only having bare hands.

Augmentations:
Obviously Jarrin has the cybernetics that more or less are his face now, they take up the functions of sight, breathing, and eating. One advantage they have is he has extremely high levels of visual acuity, he can't see at huge distances, but he can see sharply and clearly at normal human viewing sights, and around twenty feet further then that.

He does not see a need to be able to see very long distances, and instead upgraded the mechanical eyes to allow him to see clearly at normal ranges, and to allow him to track the movements of things that normal human eyes cannot.

For breathing, he has a variety of tubes that move from his facial plating down into his chest, some of them are redundant backups in case the primary systems are damaged, he has at least three redundancies in case of this, fully aware that otherwise a stray bullet could end his career early, he also carries a couple spares in case all his redundancies are damaged, so that if need be one of his fellow Runners he is allied with could do emergency repairs to save his life.

The tubes themselves are made of a dense, highly durable material.

Because the cybernetics installed to save his life had to be interfaced with his brain, he has added on an additional augment to the ones already in place that allow him to process what he reads faster then he could otherwise, nothing major.

Day Life:
Most of Jarrin's time off of doing jobs as a Runner are spent keeping the rest of his organic body healthy, maintaining his house, and doing his secondary job as a programmer. He works doing the coding necessary to program the very security systems he often cracks while working as a Runner, this irony is not lost on him in the slightest and is part of why he does it. Having an active hand in doing the very programming for some of the security programs out there gives Jarrin extra money, and an edge at hacking.

When he is not doing any of that, which he views as work, he relaxes and enjoys himself reading, because of his visual acuity and minor augments he can read very quickly, and since he has a good memory is able to absorb a great deal of information this way, while he could simply get an augment allowing him to digitally just download such information straight to his brain, he prefers the tactile sensation of turning pages.

There isn't much he doesn't read, be it simple fiction for kicks, or non-fiction for both kicks, and learning more about the world around him, he is a voracious reader. This also serves the dual purpose of keeping him informed on the latest forms of technology and programming, Jarrin is constantly reading books, and information online to keep himself up to date on these things.

His other hobby is of mechanical and electronic engineering. At his home is a garage devoted to numerous devices, projects, and thinks he tinkers with to keep his abilities to actually do such things in the field sharp, and he genuinely enjoys it.

Runner Status: Active

______

Ha! I surprised myself, I didn't think I could come up with anything on short notice and I did!

Yay me lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkleton
AH, never mind, then.

I'll be pretty busy over the next 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.