Nightlings (lxngdon x EmyBear)

Status
Not open for further replies.
c h r i s t i a n
Christian slowly felt more calm as Sara grew more visibly comfortable. Was she starting to adjust? He doubted it. He thought it would be a long time before she properly felt comfortable with the Ainsleys.

"We may as well go get the textbooks and stationary and stuff now," Christian said. "Ana left our booklists in the glove compartment."

Victoria made a detour to the town while James extracted the booklists from the glove compartment and handed them out. "Ugh, I got Calculus."

"We're vampires. We have heightened intelligence. We're all good at everything."

"Yeah, but Calculus sucks."

Taking her list from James, Sara scanned it over. Nothing out of the ordinary really, except a few advanced classes in place of regular. ones. She wondered if this heightened intelligence they spoke of would help her in any way. She doubted it, they had been around much longer than herself, and while she got passing grades, she didn't think of herself as the smartest, either.

Hearing James complain about Calculus, she nodded in agreement. "He is right, it does suck." Sara herself had been in Calculus class once, but failed miserably and had to take a different math class just to get the credit for that year.

But she was excited to see she had Music Theory and an Advanced English Writing. Her two favorite and best subjects. Leaning back, she looked out the window again, watching buildings pass them by as they drove to town.

c h r i s t i a n
They reached an average-sized shopping centre and walked into the spacious stationary store. "Pick out anything you like," Christian told Sara as he followed James to the black section. "We'll get the textbooks next."

(sorry it's so short I got stuck)​

Sara nodded letting them go off and get their things. Double checking the lost of needed supplies, she started grabbing this and that from the shelf

But it didn't take long until all the sounds starting getting at her again. She groaned in frustration and annoyance, tried pushing it aside. Rolling her eyes Sara bit her lip for a moment be free humming to herself.

It seemed to help as she focused on the song, lost in thought as she made her way down the aisle. She eventually made it to where the others were standing and as Sara turned to them she accidentally ran into Victoria.

Dropping her things from the impact, Sara began apologizing, then fell to ground to pick up her things. The last thing she needed was to start anything with Victoria after she was starting to feel a little better about things.

"I'm so sorry," she said once more. "I wasn't paying attention."

(All good it happens.)

c h r i s t i a n
Christian and James' heads snapped around when Sara collided with Victoria. They exchanged a look. They both knew that it had been an accident, but they also knew that Victoria was more than capable of blowing things out of proportion.

Victoria bent down and picked up Sara's last book. "It's fine. It was an accident." She smiled a sickly sweet smile before striding over to James, kissing him on the neck as they picked out stationary.

"You okay?" Christian asked Sara quietly. He didn't know what Victoria was up to, but he didn't know if he even wanted to find out.​

With a questioning look, Sara took the book from Victoria. Not exactly the reaction she was expecting, but she could sense something hiding behind that overly sweet smile.

"Thank you," she said as Victoria walked to James. Getting to her feet, she sighed and looked to Christian. "Fine, just wasn't looking," she mumbled, dusting herself off with her things piled in one arm. "Stupid... sounds again," she admitted, wondering how long it would be before she got used to this.

c h r i s t i a n
The group finished up at the stationary store and made their way to the bookstore. Christian picked out Sara's books for her. A sign of courtesy. He wanted to make sure she felt comfortable with him.

"Did you still want to stop by the music store?" he asked her once they had bought all the books.​

She followed Christian through the store, thanking him as they went along. She knew she could've done it on her own, but she truly was grateful.

At his question if the music store, she seemed to snap back into reality. "Oh, yeah. If it's not too much trouble that is," Sara answered. It still felt weird to have things bought for her. It was far from her nature, and a part of it bugged her.

After a moment she leaned into Christian, whispering. "Dare I ask what was with Victoria? She didn't bite my head off."

c h r i s t i a n
Christian shrugged. He lowered his voice so only Sara could hear him -- a human would not have been able to tell he was even breathing. "I don't know. She's being too nice. Either she's trying to make James happy or she's planning something." He glanced over at Victoria as he spoke. "Don't worry about it, though. She wouldn't hurt you. She's genuinely trying to stop hurting people." He privately wondered how long that would last but decided to keep that thought to himself. "I'll watch out for you, just in case she tries something."

He paid for both of their books and walked Sara to the music store, leaving James and Victoria in the bookstore. They were alone. "What kind of violin do you need?"

Sara nodded at his words. Whatever Victorias reason, she brushed it off for now. She'd eventually find out, she had a feeling about that. As they paid for the books and started for the music store.
In this weird confused time, she knew it was the only place that could offer any peace.

As soon as they walked through the doors her hand found his, her fingers lightly wrapped around his own and she tugged him along nearly skipping to the wall where the violins were displayed.

"I'm not sure, I can't just grab one," Sara answered, glancing over at him. "It has to feel right."

And with that she went along, picking them up one by one, examining them, holding them on her shoulder to get the right feel.

c h r i s t i a n
Christian followed her around the store as she tested the violins. He watched her with amazement; it was interesting to see her so enthralled and happy with something. He was glad that he had been able to stop himself before he 'killed' her. At least she had the preparation.

Though, if she hadn't, if he had changed her then and there, would it have been easier for him? For his family? Sara would have changed and she would have had no choice -- well, she hadn't had a choice anyway -- and the Ainsleys would have had to subdue the powerful nightling and take her by force. They wouldn't have had to ease her into the experience. They would have had to stop her from killing. Victoria would never have to go back to school.

But that was not an option. What's done was done, and now, Christian was acting as babysitter for a while. He didn't care. He deserved it.

Christian spotted some sheet music and decided to buy it. He could learn it on piano. He missed piano. He had not had a lot of free time to play recently.​

After some time, Sara paused and picked u what seemed like the hundredth one. It was a dark stained wood, with white painted roses on the neck under the strings. She plucked the strings, then brought it up like she was playing.

"Perfect," she whispered, mostly to herself. She turned to show Christian, seeing he had picked up sheet music himself.

She couldn't help but smile even more. She was still reserved with him, a small part of her still hurting and hating. But back home, the one thing she never had, was someone to share her music with. If it meant one common ground with someone, she'd take it.

Sara picked through the bows, picking out a well balanced one. Grabbing the other accessories she needed, she went to Christian. "Thank you, for bringing me here."

c h r i s t i a n
Christian smiled and took the things she had picked out to the counter. He was immensely glad that she was a bit happier. Anything he could do to make Sara happy, he would, because he had already taken so much from her, and he hated himself for it. Not only was it making her happy, but it was easing his own guilt. Slightly.

"You're very welcome," said Christian as he handed the cashier a wad of hundred-dollar bills. The cashier looked shocked to see two apparent teenagers spending so much money on violin bows and sheet music. "If there's anything I can do -- anything you want, that will make you happy, please tell me, and I'll do it immediately. I need something to spend this money on, anyway."

Ignoring the weird stare from the cashier, they hurried and put all their items in bags, then returned the change to Christian.

Sara packed her violin up in the case she had picked for it, listening as Christian said he would do anything for her to make her happy. She laughed softly, thanking the cashier before taking Christian's hand and turning them around and headed for the exit.

"Well, for one, I don't need you to spend money on me to make me happy. Secondly, I'm sure even if I did ask for the one thing that would make me happy right now, I doubt I'd get that," she answered, giving him a look paired with a small smile.

c h r i s t i a n
Christian smirked. "Try me." He would literally buy her a ticket to Paris and spend a million dollars on croissants for her if that was what she asked of him. He had the incentive and the means to do so.

It hit him that she would probably ask him to take her back to her family. That was the one thing he couldn't do. For her own safety, and theirs. But he stayed quiet and hoped she would ask for something else. Anything else.​

She smirked, stopping and placing herself in front of him. Reaching a hand up, she touched his face softly. "Stop besting yourself up over this. That's what I want."

Sara hated it, she knew, even if he wouldn't admit it, the guilt. It was apparent on his face when he looked at her, the way he treated her.

"Is any of this ideal? No, not really. Am I still cross with you? Certainly. But, you don't need to suffer because of it, okay?" She took a deep bresrh, looking down from him now. "I hate knowing that you're beating yourself up over me. Hell, maybe for once I can be something more than plain old boring me."

c h r i s t i a n
That was not what he had expected. He certainly was not complaining about it, though.

But was it really so easy to just get over what he had done? No. It was a scar on his conscience that would itch at him for the rest of his life. He had always wondered how Victoria had gotten over killing thousands of people. It didn't affect her in the slightest. He had not even killed Sara, yet it was destroying him.

"How about this. I stop being all moody and morose, and you let me take you out to dinner? I haven't tried to eat human food in a while."

Looking up, Sara narrowed her eyes a lottle, in a more playful than serious way.

She knew what she asked was a lot, but she wanted him to know how she felt. Yes, life was going to be different as she changed. Already her hearing was better it scared her. But with the distraction of getting things for school, and getting g him to talk, it didn't seem to bug her as much.

Sara knew the rest would come, and she hoped she could be strong enough to handle it. "Well, I guess that'll just have to do for now, and if that's what I get, I'll take it."

Again a smile came t her face, and she fell back in step next to him. At his mention of dinner she did feel her stomach tighten and a faint growl erupted from it.

c h r i s t i a n
Christian grinned. "Dinner it is." It was four-thirty, anyway. They met Victoria and James at the car.

"I'm taking Sara to dinner," he told them. Victoria raised an eyebrow. "Can we take the car? Are you alright to run home?"

"Why don't you just take Sara running?" Victoria asked mischievously, grinning at Sara. "She needs to adjust to the speed if she's gonna be one of us."

"I don't think that's a good idea." She could become incredibly motion sick if Christian took her running now.

James sighed and took Victoria's hand. "Tori, let's just go."

"Fine." Victoria blew a kiss to Sara and took off running after James. They were so fast they seemed to disappear into the crowd. Humans would not be able to see them. Christian climbed into the driver's seat.​

Meeting the others at the car, she stood there awkwardly as Christian and Victoria shared their exchange of words. She bit her lip as they spoke, hating the harsh words from Victoria.

But James, sweet james, managed to get Victoria to leave and left them with the car. With a sigh if relief, she put her things in the car then got in to the passenger seat.

"So, where are you taking me?" Sara questioned curiously, lifting a brow at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.