Nature of the Beast

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

CHARLIE CAINE

"Steel, I think actually. I wasn't particularly coherent when I got made this way so don't take my word for it." Charlie lied, amusing himself slightly in the process. There was no metal involved in his body for all he knew, in reality it was just his flesh and bones mutated to be of above average durable but c'mon... there was no real charming way to put that.

With the feeling of her pressed against his back he revved his bike in preparation before pulling out onto the nearby highway a little recklessly. He drove slower than usual though, taking into account that Odessa's body wasn't nearly as capable of healing and regeneration like his. She very well might have had a concussion but unfortunately for the both of them his mutation didn't come with an extension of medical knowledge. Charlie had a friend who he could have take a look at her, but the chances of reaching him without physically going to see him were quite slim.

They drove at a comfortable (but far from painless) pace for a good half hour and soon enough New York City, along with Selina and all of Odessa's coworkers, became a thing in the background. They pulled up to the motel, Charlie only realizing now that it didn't exactly give her the greatest first impression of him. He asked Odessa to wait as he checked in and came back a moment later with the keys to the cleanest room they had and a spare shirt over his chest that he borrowed from his friend running the front desk.

Silently he helped her up the steps to the second floor and lead her down the walkway to the very end. While the room was certainly nicer than the one he had slept in just this morning there were obviously some improvements that could be made. Charlie frowned as Odessa searched for a comfortable place to settle down. Yeah...ok so maybe the motel wasn't the greatest choice he could've made... as reliable as it had served him for the past few years.

This situation was different all together than those long nights before and he should've known that. Cursing himself silently, he let that rare sheepish side of him shine through. He rubbed the back of his head as he leaned against the dresser and cleared his throat. "Tell me when your feeling a little bit better and we can go get something to eat I guess."

"But until then I'm all yours...er...for questions I mean." He laughed, a respectable attempt at playing off his interesting choice of words. Suddenly a change of topic seemed like a rather attractive idea. "Oh and I'm sure your coworkers will be fine by the way, Selina doesn't like hurting humans any more than she does saving them so chances are she'll just dip if anything happens."

ODESSA CARRIGAN​

For the duration of the ride, Odessa did everything she could to hold in the contents of her stomach, whilst trying very hard to get her brain into any mood to concentrate. She felt a little like she -did- get hit by a train, all things considered, and probably belonged in the hospital, over a cheap and tawdry hotel. But her health could wait. She didn't just want answers, she needed them, and she had waited too long, until now, to get them.

Inside the room, she finally settled for the bed, kicking off her boots and curling her legs up beneath her. She needed a shower, but it would have to wait until she was capable of standing on her own. He was... impossibly hot, and it was hard to deny there was something sexy in the whole 'beast beneath the surface' aspect (even if in reality the beast was more scary as hell than dreamy...) but she wasn't about to strip down in front of a stranger, literally or figuratively, even if he was the man who had saved her life when she was sixteen...

Rubbing her head, hoping to God there was an ice machine, maybe Tylenol somewhere in the joint, she closed her eyes for a moment while she composed her list of questions. She had hundreds she could have asked, and all of them as important as the next, but when it came to asking them, something within her hesitated. It was like opening a gift when you didn't know what was inside... If it was what you wanted, all was well, but if you were disappointed...?

Looking up at him, she frowned, softly, and for a moment there was a sense of vulnerability in her honey-brown gaze, that belied the strength she bore on the outside, "It's weird. I thought... I mean I used to think if I ever found you, I'd just be bursting with questions. I'd wanna know everything. But now that it's real... now that you're here, I'm not sure I know what to feel. I haven't been scared like this in a long time, not of anything emotional, anyway..."

With a sigh, she leaned back against the headboard, as the room swam again, pinching the bridge of her nose until the movement ceased, "Maybe you should... maybe you should just tell me what happened that night, instead? You know... from your perspective?"

CHARLIE CAINE

Charlie leaned back, rubbing the back of his neck as a drawn out sigh escaped him. Where could he begin? Where should he begin? For a moment he considered going all the way back, to the White Room and to his motivation for joining her father's project... but no. He promised the doctor he wouldn't speak a word of his involvement.

His blue eyes drifted across the room as he thought and settled for a moment, on Odessa. Especially considering how he was talking to the man's pretty daughter.

Yeah, the events of that evening alone--they'd have to be enough. One calloused hand moved to brush along the bearded undercut of his jaw and Charlie let himself go back nearly a decade. Frowning, he knew that this would be the tricky part, telling Odessa without really telling Odessa.

"I was travelling. When you're like me settling down isn't really the greatest option. Lucky enough I was passing through the area when I heard the gunshots" Looking into Odessa's eyes, Charlie let truth and lie twist together. "By the time I got your house it was already up in flames. The people who did that...one of their cars got away but I took care of the second."

Charlie was crossing his arms now, his eyes pointed to the ground as he continued. "I killed three men in suits before I began tearing through the flames in search of you...or well, your scent." He gestured to his nose. "Wintergreen. I see you haven't gotten rid of the gum habit."

He stood straight and glanced at her hesitantly. A moment passed and he walked over and extended a hand.

"That's about it. Charlie, your uh...guardian angel I guess. Nice to finally meet you proper."

• Love
Reactions: rissa
ODESSA CARRIGAN​

As he spoke, Odessa straightened a little, grimacing, but ignoring the pain in her skull for the importance of the information she was about to receive. Information she had waited years for... years that seemed to stretch and drag endlessly, leaving fresh scars every time she thought about them - thought about that night. He opened his mouth and her heart gave a violent pang, but as he launched into his explanation, the look of awe dissolved into something a little less inclined for hero worship and with a frown, she sat back, again.

"...Bull." She finally said, the solitary word laced with an edge of venom, spawned from the disappointment of unmatched expectations, "I'm a cop. I can smell a lie from half a mile away. And they smell like wintergreen... Lucky enough you were passing through? It's not like we lived in Manhattan. And that girl, back in the subway... your ex? Way she said it, you've been following me around for a while now. Doesn't sound like something a good Samaritan passing by would do, even if they can turn into some... Whatever it is you are."

Frowning, she sighed, and it was a resigned sound. She wouldn't push him to tell her the whole story if he didn't want to... Wasn't like she'd waited half her life to hear it...

"I switched to spearmint for a while, but it just doesn't have the same kick." She finally muttered, patting her jacket pocket where the pack waited, before looking up at his hand, Tentatively, she reached out and took it, giving it a shake, "And I'm Odessa... Dessy. But I guess you already know that. Unless you wanna keep pretending you just happened to be there? That's cool, too, I guess."

CHARLIE CAINE

Well... that was not the reaction he wanted or expected. With a single eyebrow arched, he let go of her hand and took a step back. A part of him was amused, and perhaps even a little interested, but he felt mainly taken back. After thinking on it for a moment though, Charlie realized he shouldn't have been surprised. He'd watch Odessa sass at countless people, it only made sense she'd sass at him.

But to say he imagined the moment they met going like this would be a lie. A thoughtful expression and his tongue pressed against the inside of his cheek the man went back to his place leaning against the dresser. There were lots of way he could react, lots of ways to go about what he was going to say but what he needed to figure out now was whether or not tell the truth.

"If it's cool with you Dessy then I guess it's cool with me." Charlie looked back up at her, his expression mixed with curiosity and challenge as a grin found him. A moment of pause rolled over and Charlie let himself indulge in the scent of wintergreen. She was an attractive woman and his next words came out like a bad habit. "Hell, maybe when we're both feeling a little bit better we can get drunk and take turns talking about our dirty secrets. I wouldn't say no to that."

"But for now I guess dinner wouldn't be so bad. Granted your uh...you know, not in too much pain we can go to a highway diner just a little further down the road. Considering current circumstances it'd be a ten minute walk maybe? I'd carry you there but I don't feel like making a scene." He suggested, shrugging as his eyes glanced out the window. "At least not right now, anyways."

ODESSA CARRIGAN​

"...You are my dirty secret." It was almost a whisper, the husky undertone of her voice breaking slightly over the current of emotion that struck like a wave. The tears came without much warning and Odessa shook her head, lowering her gaze, "Damn. Sorry. I just... ten year..." Trailing off, she brushed her cheeks, but it only seemed to make things worse to acknowledge the tears were there. With a sharp inhalation, she shielded her eyes with her hand, biting hard on the inside of her cheek, willing the overflow to stop.

"Maybe... maybe you should go." She finally said, rolling her legs out so she could stand, albeit shakily, "I'm a mess. And I could really use a shower." Shedding her grey jacket, which now bore a constellation of ink black blood splashed across it, she reached to press a hand to the tender bruising stretched from her collar to her shoulder blade, "I'm not picky about what I eat, but would you grab ice, too?"

Looking up at him, she managed a small, dry smile, "I should probably call in to work, too... Hell, my partner's probably got half the city out lookin' for me, and he'll worry himself bald if I don't check in. And it's not a look he could pull off." Dropping her hand, she rubbed her arm, and her gaze fell for a moment, the smile fading, "I know you think you can't tell me everything. I don't know why, and I'm not gonna pretend I get it, cause I don't. But I just need to know if..."

Swallowing, she turned her eyes up again, "...Is he dead? My dad?" Biting her lip, she shook her head and a moment later, waved off the question, "No. You know what... It doesn't matter." She took a step, but her knees wobbled and swearing, she collapsed back onto the bed, "OH, come on!"

CHARLIE CAINE

"I...fuck." She just had to do it didn't she? Odessa, her damn wintergreen scent and the makings of tears. It was a bad combination to swallow especially considering the whole reason why this was happening was because he had to hold his tongue. Charlie frowned genuinely, letting whatever flirtatious uncaring persona he developed fade as he shifted into what he never expected to become, a dedicated guardian.

"I know your father got out alive...I personally made sure of that much. What he got out of and why we know each other? I hope you'll forgive me when I say I just can't tell you. Not without his permission." Charlie admitted quickly but honestly as he walked over with determination in his stride. He gave her one look and without warning swooped her up in his arms.

Picking her up and carrying her took almost no effort, but most of Charlie's focus was on making sure he didn't move to quickly. to make sure he didn't upset her further. The man was never the comforting type...in fact he was quite the opposite even before he became what he was. If she intended to know him well then he hoped what he was doing would make sense later.

"All of that crap'll wait. We've got bacon, pancakes and painkillers to attend to." He kicked the door open, closed it with the same foot and the two of them were outside once more. Charlie was concerned but embarrassed to show it. He had done it countless times throughout the years, showed and acted upon his care for her but Odessa was never around to see it and truthfully? That's how he preferred it.

But now she was here and aware of him and it was uncomfortable in just about every single way possible. But Charlie knew, thanks to both his promise to her father and his own dumb carelessness in getting attached, that he wouldn't stop now. Maybe not ever. Soon enough they were walking alongside the highway, Charlie only speaking to reassure her that he could grab some asprin from a gas station by the diner.

They arrived and Charlie stood there at the front door with her in his arms and the scene that he wanted to avoid--made. For the first time since he picked her up, Charlie looked down back at her and offered a grin that came out way more sheepish than he had intended. "You uh want to go ahead and hop on in so I can go get you those painkillers? Or would you like to be carried inside too?"

ODESSA CARRIGAN​

It wasn't what she expected, but Odessa didn't complain. As he scooped her up, she was too lost in her thoughts to really consider just how ridiculous it might have otherwise made her feel. She had spent so long taking care of herself, or at least she had thought that's what she was doing - and the independent 'don't need no one' wall that she had erected following the loss of her parents had, in essence, made her who she was.

But sometimes, damn it all, you just needed someone to carry you down the highway to a diner. It surprised her, frankly, how sweet he was, given the whole fangs, and death-in-the-eyes, murder rage monster she remembered from the subway tunnel. But not sweet enough that she had quite forgiven the fact that he was keeping things from her. Important things. Things that they -were- going to discuss, whenever her head stopped trying to simultaneously explode and cave in.

Outside the diner, she shook her head and swung her legs down so she could plant her feet. She felt wobbly, still, with all the grace of a drunk toddler, but she was determined no tot look any more absurd than she already did - in a tank top and ripped jeans, her shoulder more bruise than skin, red hair akin to an out of control forest fire and make up half smeared down her face. Shaking her head, she steadied herself with a palm to his disgustingly solid abs, "You try to carry me inside, Adonis, and I will poke you in those beautiful eyes, hmm?"

Straightening, she turned to the doors and with a look of pure determination, pushed her way inside.

CHARLIE CAINE

Adonis, heh. He would've been flattered if it had literally been any other woman calling him that. There was something about Odessa that made just about everything feel weird for Charlie. Perhaps it was knowing her too well, after all it wasn't exactly normal to be apart of someone's life for as long as he was the way that he was. Still, with great amusement he watched her stumble into the diner.

Afterwards he went on over to the station and came back with the kind of pain killers you had to wait to dissolve. He bought that along with some snacks for later at the hotel, though he wasn't sure how long Odessa planned to be around or if she would even sleep there tonight.

He entered the diner, the smell of grease and some serious comfort food hitting his senses almost immediately. It was overwhelming at first but just that subtle hint of mint was calming enough. Charlie found Odessa sitting in one of the corner booths and annoyedly cursed her as he walked down the aisle.

He knew he was an impressionable guy and he knew the majority of the people in the diner saw him arrive carrying her like some damn fairy tale prince. It wasn't hard to imagine what they might be thinking as he joined her in the booth. The man rubbed the back of his head and slid her pills across the table.

"So do you have any other questions you want to ask me?" Charlie opened up after a waitress came and he ordered his usual serving of literal pancakes over pancakes. He shrugged nonchalantly and glanced out the window at the cars speeding past. "Preferably not about your dad...because you know I'm not budging on that. He'd probably find me somehow and kill me if I broke our agreement."

• Love
ODESSA CARRIGAN​

She'd considered a booth by the door, both for a cleaner view of the outside and because it seemed wiser for a quick exit, but in the end, vanity got the better of her and she chose something a little more out of sight. It didn't keep the two truckers at the bar top from wolf-whistled as she had passed, but Odessa only rolled her eyes, sank down and ordered two coffees and a water.

She was halfway done the first coffee by the time Charlie returned and glancing up at him as he sank down, she shook her head, "I don't wanna talk about my dad, either." She muttered, taking a sip of the black, tar-like morning roast, "If he's alive, and this whole time, he's just been... What, hiding out somewhere? He never tried to find me. Never tried to find us." She had been older at the time of the attack, and had needed to be something of a stronghouse for her brother and sister, but it had still effected them all...

"Sorry..." She mumbled, setting down her cup, in favor of the water, "Not trying to sound like daddy's bitter little girl or anything, I just don't get it. I don't even understand you, in all of this." The waitress returned and positioned a massive mountain of pancakes before Charlie, and Odessa's brow quirked in amusement, before she shook her head. She hadn't ordered, hadn't been hungry, and the emotional upheaval wasn't helping. She needed rest, but she was pretty sure with a concussion that was a terrible idea, yet it hurt, keeping her eyes open.

"I don't understand any of it. Who you are... what you are. It's like stepping into a science fiction movie, that nobody gave me a script for. I'm ad-libbing here, and I've never been great at improv. Seriously. I tanked my drama class in highschool. I don't have the mind for it...." Rubbing her forehead, she sank back into the booth, gesturing to the bag he had carried in with him, "Tell me it's something stronger than Tylenol."

CHARLIE CAINE

"I mean if it makes you feel better I haven't seen him since the night we escaped and you and I met. Which...now that I'm saying it doesn't sound comforting at all but you know, you're father is a smart man and I'm sure he the only reason why he hasn't contacted you was so that you wouldn't be a target. The doc just wanted to protect you and your siblings."

"I mean that's also what he asked of me, anyways. Make sure you don't get yourself killed looking for answers." Charlie purposely decided to leave out the fact that her father technically only asked him to look after her for a few month and not several years. "Yet here we are. You know I exist when you really, really shouldn't and Selina's cat woman act is compromised and she's gonna kill both of us because it."

"Some kind of science fiction comedy, movie anyways."

"Hmph. Just barely I got you some tramadol. It'll make you a bit loopy in a few hours but uh... you should be fine right? I mean anything is better than pain I guess." Yeah, easy for the high regeneration factor mutant to say. Charlie passed her the pills and shrugged before he began to cut into his pancakes. He only realized after he quickly consumed the first of many, that Odessa hadn't ordered. He frowned. "I'dve brought you somewhere else if all you were gonna get is coffee you know."

He raised a hand and motioned the waitress over, she addressed him by name and he did the same. "Barbara can you get my uh...friend, here two of your cinnamon pancakes with honey instead of syrup. You guys have honey right? Er...yeah. Oh and also can we have some extra butter? Odessa here is pretty picky but I swear she's alright."

Barbara laughed and left for the kitchen while Charlie turned back to find himself greeted by an odd expression. "...What?"

"...Oh. It was just that I watched you go to that one place near the precinct with your partner a couple times when you first got put together. I...wanted to make sure that you know, everything between you guys was...proper, I guess." He was internally cringing at himself. The man who could literally turn into an actual monster was I repeat--internally cringing at himself. He knew actually meeting Odessa would be a shitstorm, he fucking knew it.

• Love
ODESSA CARRIGAN​

She stared at him for another moment, before she tore open the package of medicine he had given her, dropping it into the second cup of coffee. It wasn't remotely the recommended method, but Odessa rarely followed instructions the conventional way. Sitting back, her lip twitched up, "...So, you memorized... how I take my pancakes. But you were worried my partner was the creepy guy in my life?" She met his gaze, the sly smirk spreading as she shrugged, "I mean, I guess that's sort of damn near romantic these days, right?"

Shaking her head, she plucked up the coffee and downed it, wrinkling her nose at the taste, "So... my dad was a doctor?" She finally asked, a brow lifting, "He told us he was involved in lab work, but I dunno... I guess I figured it had more to with like... algae and fungus and stuff, not so much... uh..." Waving her hand up and down, she smirked, "You... But then I guess 'Hey, kiddo, I'm working on some secret project involving turning Herculean men into hulking beasts' isn't exactly a conversation you have over the dinner table."

She hadn't wanted to talk about her dad, but she was beginning to think it might not be possible to avoid the conversation entirely, if she was going to learn anything about her protector, "I used to kid, when I was younger, that I had a guardian angel... I mean, I'd only seen you that one time, but I just sort of convinced myself that's what you were. I guess I wasn't so crazy, after all. Not that anyone believed me. Not that they would now."

CHARLIE CAINE

"I mean technically I'm not even supposed to be in your life so that point is null." Charlie retorted in between mouthfuls of pancakes, he shrugged doing his best to play it off. Charlie rarely had problems speaking to women, especially when they were attractive. But right now he was just grateful that there was pancake to give him time to think. "There was nothing romantic about it, I made an obligation to your dad and I don't break promises simple as that."

"Glad to know you thought I was already Herculean before the beast part though. That's nice to know." He winked, the blueberry pancakes seemingly getting him back in his stride. Noting her odd coffee habits, Charlie drank his like a normal person (ironic consider current events) nursing the mug as he leaned back. "You're uh...what do they call in the academy? I dunno. But you're really trying different ways to squeeze out information from me huh."

He joked about it earlier yeah, but to hear her call him that...it felt wrong. Like he had done too much bad to be considered an angel. Sure he protected her but was he a good man? Charlie doubted it but now was not the time to bring it up. He was here to eat pancakes and make this wintergreen redhead feel better, so if she wanted him to listen? He'd listen.

"You have a really, really odd sense of an angel. Like you've seen me. Twice now." Deflect feeling with humor, yeah that usually worked for Charlie. "If I'm what an angel looks like I don't think I want to go to heaven."

• Love
ODESSA CARRIGAN​

She smirked at his assessment, and shook her head, "Listen, pal. My partner, he's got a daughter, Tina... and she is obsessed with that Twilight mess. She will debate you to death that stalking it totally the new sentimental norm, okay?" For as much as she teased him, however, there was something odd to the idea that he had been watching over her for so long... and idly she had to wonder if those moments in life, where she had been so sure she was being watched, were all attributed in some way to him. In truth, she hoped so... because she wasn't sure she could even handle the idea that she had -one- stalker.

"Interrogation tactics. I aced the class..." She grinned, cracking her knuckles with a nonchalant shrug, "If I want information, I usually get it. But I won't pry... I said I wouldn't, and I meant it." She wasn't sure, really, she could handle many more answers. It was overwhelming enough, and she'd only just cracked the surface... maybe only skimmed it. Her eyes moved up to his again, however, and a frown softened her expression.

"...Guardian monster doesn't exactly have the same ring to it." Her finger circled the rim of her coffee mug, and her gaze dropped, watching it, "What... what about Rylie and Megan? Do you... I mean... did you watch over them, too? Or do they have their own 'pancake patrol'?" She hadn't seen her siblings in a good, long while, their lives spreading too far apart... the distance between them feeling too solid, too strong to break through.

They wanted to forget everything, and she couldn't. She wouldn't let go and she had, inadvertently, pushed them away in trying to figure out what had happened that night. Maybe now that she had some answers...

"Hm..." Her plate arrived, and picking at it, she shook her head, "It was my mom... The honey. She hated syrup... thought it was too sweet, so she'd put honey on our pancakes. I guess it just sort of stuck."

CHARLIE CAINE

It bothered him honestly, knowing had he been just a few minutes quicker Odessa wouldn't have been an orphan. In many ways it seemed that was his first of many failures as her guardian...monster. The man's fist curled at the thought, life was just a series of swings to the face and both of them were a testament to that. For awhile he didn't say anything, just gave her a slow nod before eating more of his dinner.

"There isn't much pancake patrol to go around, at least not anymore." Charlie eventually admitted with a tone somewhere between solemn and tired. "There's only three of us still in New York. Selina's more interested in robbing banks and the other guy? Well he was a piece of shit before but now he can look the part as well. Everyone else is well... dead or hiding."

"As for Rylie and Megan, uh when they were...still around, when they hadn't moved far away to get away from all the bullshit... yeah I watched over them too." He continued, offering a tentative grin. "Lucky for the both of us they were good kids who avoided trouble--it meant that I could put more focus on their angry at the world older sister."

"I haven't checked up on them in awhile though, I'll admit that. I'm not even sure where they moved." He shrugged, a fork of pancake swinging in the air as he did so. "It wouldn't hurt to see how they were doing though, maybe I'll take a roadtrip when things are uh... safer around here."

His thoughts went back to the subway and the fight he had with a solider he once respected. Charlie had first heard about the return of the friends they knew were captured by Levi--the third one still in New York that he had mentioned earlier--but hadn't been sure whether or not to believe it at the time. There was no doubt now though that whoever took up the project, was picking up the pace.

Charlie hadn't realized how soured his expression had become until it was perhaps, a little too late, and he shook his head. "Things are getting complicated around here aren't they? I'm starting to wonder if your siblings had the right idea..."

• Love
ODESSA CARRIGAN​

"How many of you were there?" She asked, surprised leaking into her tone, "I mean... I just kind of figured it was you. And then the other two showed up. What... Was it some secret club or something?" Hiding... The word did not escape her attention, and the question hung heavy, but then he moved on and a frown found her features instead.

"I... I don't see them much either. I sort of... Well. Let's just say I wasn't exactly the best example of letting go, growing up. Though I guess you already know that. I just... I needed answers and I thought I could find them. But I was stupid and reckless. I pushed them away... I guess that's my thing." Rubbing her arms, she shook her head and shoved her plate aside.

"Maybe they had the right idea. Maybe someday I'll have the brains to get outta here, too. But probably not..." With a smirk, she shrugged.

"I think the meds are kicking in. We should probably cut outta here before I start singing on the bar top." Rising, she grimaced, pressing her palm to her shoulder, "And I really, really need that shower."

Last edited:

CHARLIE CAINE

"No, no I think I kinda want to see that now--the singing on the bar top bit anyways." Charlie chuckled, sliding away a plate that might as well have been licked clean. The guardian stood up, his eyes watching over her concernedly as she did the same. He wondered, for a moment, if he should carry her back.

Charlie stepped away and using money that he had borrowed from Selina after her many endeavors, he paid for the bill. When he returned the concern was apparent enough in his eyes. He nodded and pointed over his shoulder. "C'mon lets go get you cleaned up and rested. Just lean on me if you're still feeling a bit shaky."

He had hoped to gloss over the question regarding how many of them were around but as what seemed to be a tentative silence settled into the walk back, that was the only thing Charlie could think to speak of. Once again there was plenty of consideration to be done, like how much or how little he should say.

But Charlie had a feeling as he glanced down at the redhead beside him that anything less than a hundred would cut it. He frowned as that'd require nothing but the hard truth and to him, a habitual liar, that scared him. The prospect of changing? That terrified him.

"I think there was around thirteen of us total?" Charlie finally answered, looking up and forward as he spoke. "Twenty of us were selected, two died during the initial training period--before we even became what we are and the last five others died during the procedure. Thirteen hurting, shapeshifting assholes."

"You know me, Selina and I mentioned a third--his name is Levi," He continued though while he was speaking this time he was looking down on her. "Yeah...the three of us are the only ones who managed to last this long. That thing back in the tunnel? He wasn't as fortunate."

• Love
ODESSA CARRIGAN​

Somehow...possibly driven by sheer determination to get that shower, Odessa mamaged to move through the diner with very little trouble, a huff of a laugh escaping at his suggestion, as she shook her head, "Oh, honey. No one in the tri state area wants to see that. Karaoke is not my thing for a very good reason."

Hooking her arm through his, she leaned against his side, her mind devolving further into the odd fog of medicine. It was a welcome change to the pain, but altogether made focusing more difficult than she would have liked. Vaguely she recalled wanting to phone Seth, but she couldn't remember why, and his number swirled around in her brain, a jumbled mess. It would have to wait, which seemed like a disastrous idea... For some reason.

Looking up, she frowned in thought, "Twenty. That's a... very big number. And only three left? Damn. You were the lucky ones... Or maybe not so lucky. Hm. Lucky duck. Ducks... Are dangerous. Too much going on beneath the surface. Little weird feet always moving. Don't ever trust a duck. Ducking... ducks."

Frowning, she shoved him ever so slightly, before catching his arm again, "Listen. No. Shhh... Listen. I know what you're thinking, buddy. And yes. You are very good looking. And yes. I think you would probably look very nice with less..." Leaning, she wiggled her fingers at him, "Clothes on. But this shower thing... That's a solo deal, mkay. Now help me take off my boots. Are we in the room yet?" Looking around the parking lot, she frowned again, "Mmnope. We're not."

Last edited:

CHARLIE CAINE

He had been entirely serious when he spoke of what he did but Charlie welcomed the change in tone all the same. With the way she was, Odessa wasn't really in the best mindset to pry more and more information from him and onsidering he had a hard time keeping his mouth shut up until this point... he was relieved to hear her a little over her head.

Even though by talking like that she brought up something he'd been hoping to avoid. Charlie shouldn't have been surprised though, after all you don't just spend a little over a decade watching over someone without developing some kind of attraction. The fact that she was beautiful and her scent was borderline addictive did not help either.

"I wonder if you're gonna remember this conversation when you're a little less inebriated." Charlie thought out loud, grinning as he shuffled her across the remainder of the parking lot. Careful when going up the steps, the duo continued on back into the hotel room and he set her down on the edge of the bed. "I sure as hell hope not."

He dropped down to one knee and undid the makings of her leather boots. It was something he'd have to adjust to but overall Charlie felt it wasn't too bad helping her directly. It still wasn't his preference but the instant gratification was a nice touch.

With her boots off and set neatly aside, the statuesque man stood and patted the back of her shoulder. "Alright you're good to go. Just...don't go and slip while you're in there alright? It's a solo deal and I don't want to have to rush in and help you because... you know, it's a solo deal."

Yeah. He was definitely hoping she wouldn't remember this conversation. Turning away from her Charlie grabbed a hold of his jacket and opted to wait outside of the room. It had been awhile since he got a smoke in and the sensitivity in his nose was a testament to that. He needed to dull that down asap. Leaning against the rail outside, Charlie drew it in and then let it out when he noticed a familiar figure approaching from further up the highway.

• Love
ODESSA CARRIGAN​

"Bah! Remember..." She muttered, as he pulled off her boots and set them aside, "I remember everything. Each and every teeny tiny mole...molecula... itsy bitsy speck, pal! Steel trap, I am." She tapped her temple with the tip of her finger, before wiggling it at him, "Nothin' gets out. Not one thing. And if you think I'm just gonn- Hey. Where are you going?"

Pouting, she waved him off as he stepped out onto the stair deck, "Mrr. Whatever, Mr. Perfect Abs. Smoking is bad for you!" She nearly shouted, before standing upright. She felt about as stable as jello in an earthquake, but determination (and being half out of her mind) afforded her a bit of strength she might otherwise have lacked. Peeling out of her shirt and her jeans, she dropped them by her boots before she made for the bathroom, kicking the door closed behind her.

A shower proved... at best, hazardous in her current state, but Odessa was quick, and while perhaps not as thoroughly scrubbed as she might've liked to be, she was at the very least, clean. She clambered out and wrapped a towel around her, before she made her way back out into the main room. She got as far as the bed, collapsing backwards onto it, before the drugs took their fully effect and staring up at the ceiling, muttering something about it being dangerous to sleep with a concussion, she started to drift.