Must Be Mistaken

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I thought that's how colleges usually worked," Cadence responded, already knowing classes started the next day. "I have some confusing classes on my schedule, though... I don't know what they're about." She set down her schedule, going back to her room and pulling out a couple of boxes with various kitchen supplies and some food. She took it over to the kitchenette and started to carefully take things out, setting aside dishes to prepare for washing after the travel.

"I really hope I can make it here..." she muttered to herself. After all, she had no where else to go. No parents or family to go home to or friends to bunker down with and so on. Just on her own. She and her car.

"I'm sure you can make it here," Barry assured Cadence. He looked at his schedule, realizing that, aside from a creative writing course, Barry saw a 'power conditioning' class. He thought it was some advanced gym or conditioning class. He scanned the one class he didn't recognize.

"This...power conditioning class makes me think of some advanced conditioning class. Barbells, weight benches, leg presses, squat benches. The works." The more he thought about it, the more a headache formed.

"Did you...want to go get something to eat from the cafeteria, or had you eaten recently?" Barry asked, gazing over at Cadence. He was stunned, and exhausted from today's events.

Cadence glanced over toward Barry as he talked about one of his classes and shrugged. "I had an athletic PE class where, instead of regular PE activities, we also had workout sessions and everything was a lot tougher and harder. Maybe that's the PE of the magic world," she suggested as she tossed a couple of dishes in the sink.

At the mention of food, she felt her stomach ache from emptiness. The girl looked up at Barry and began to nod. "Food sounds like a wonderful idea. I haven't eaten since I hit that pitstop in the last state I was in."

Smiling, he held the door for Cadence as they made their way out of the dorm toward the cafeteria in the College Services building in the center of the campus. "So...where did you come from? Not too far, I hope." Small talk was his best bet for now. If they were going to be roommates, he ought to get to know her better. At least that's how he wanted it. He hoped she would be a suitable roommate, willing to share the chores of the dorm room while lounging around in their off-time. Yet, by looking at her, he could tell she was a productive type. If she wanted something done, she'd do it.

He looked at the menu posted on the wall of the cafeteria. "What to order..." He wondered, as Cadence stepped up beside him and browsed.

Cadence shrugged from his question of where she came from. "About an eighteen hour drive from here. Nothing to harsh," she responded as she glanced over the menu before reaching into her pocket and pulling out some crumpled bills to count. She looked back up at the menu, figuring out what she could afford before being ready to order.

"Fair enough." He said, shrugging his shoulders in response. Turning to one of the cooks, "I'll take two slices of pizza." He requested, grabbing a bottled soda and some chips.

"We'll call you when it's ready."

"Thanks." He walked up to the cashier and she calculated the total.

"We'll treat the two slices as one since today is your first day. Four dollars." Barry dug through his wallet and handed over the money. With the transaction complete, he walked over to one of the tables and sat down, waiting for Cadence to join him, and for his order to be called.

Cadence walked up to the counter, looking between her cash and the board listing the food. "I'll take... A hotdog with fries," she told them, walking over to pay promptly before making her way over to Barry. "Twenty-seven cents left... I may have to get a job." She sighed and leaned against the table before turning her attention toward Barry.

"So, did you have to travel far to get here yourself?"

"I'll handle your financial support for food and whatever else you need. Yesterday, part of my SSI went into my food stamp card. I can help with getting food and other necessities. The store's not far from here. The other half of the deposit, I have in cash locked away in my room. We can use that for whatever else we need. Soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. It may not be a lot, but it'll get us somewhere." Barry finished.

"Barry." The cashier called, setting his food on a table by her for him.

"Thanks." He smiled before walking over and sitting by Cadence. "I'll have to do the math when we get back to our room. We should still have a good amount of left over. I'll figure the amount on my card with a good amount of money per week for food, and then the supplies we need, along with the six percent tax included. It won't be a problem."

The strawberry blonde raised a brow toward Barry's offer and shook her head. "That's too much. Just because we're roommates doesn't mean that you have to starting financially taking care of me," she told him, leaning forward and propping her head on her hand. "It's a part of the college experience to be poor and have a part time job and all that."

She heard her order being called a moment after Barry's, getting up quickly to get it before sitting back down by him at the table. "Anyway, you haven't answered my question. Where do you hail from, Barry?"

"I am from two hours south of here. Parents thought it a good idea to send me here for my education because they thought they could tell certain 'signs' have developed. Can't be too sure, though. Their reason for sending me here, aside from being a cheap choice, is unclear." Taking a few bites, he smiled, remembering the familiar taste of his favorite food.

"May we sit with you?" A voice called out. Barry turned his head to see Anerin and a familiar young woman carrying the books he brought back for her.

"I don't see a problem. What about you, Cadence?"

Cadence shrugged, gesturing toward the seats. "They're all yours, but you can't take them home with you," she pointed out jokingly, soon picking at her fries and lining them up on her tray. "We were just discussing where we're from. He's two hours south and I'm eighteen hours away, if you want to add to the conversation."

The strawberry blonde turned her attention toward the young woman, smiling. "My name is Cadence, but you can call me Cady."

"My name is Wilhelmina Royale. Mina for short." She giggled. "Not the most attractive name. I personally think Cadence is a better name than mine." She laughed, thinking about it.

"Pleased to formally meet you, Mina. I'm Barry." The man with the dark brown hair and brown eyes greeted.

"And my name is Anerin. I realize that I haven't introduced myself earlier when we met."

"Pleased to meet all of you." She sat down, for a second, realizing that she had yet to get food. She stood up, blushing. "No use in sitting down without food."

Anerin laughed heartily as her face reddened from embarrassment.

"Anerin, ease up." Barry pleaded.

Cadence chuckled at Mina's statement about her name. "I like your name. Sounds vintage royal. My name, on the other hand, is a soldiers' chant," she pointed out with a smile. Then she watched as Mina left to order food before turning her attention to Anerin and Barry.

"I think it's smart to claim a seat before getting food. A rush is starting to come in here and a lot of seats are disappearing," she informed, gesturing around the lunch room.

"I agree," Barry responded. He looked back watching Mina order her food and walking back to take her seat.

"A cadence. A soldiers' chant. That's a funny joke." Mina laughed. My name, sounding royal? No. Just because my last name is Royale...doesn't have the same ring to it. I couldn't claim a castle, even if I wanted to." She joked. Barry chuckled.

"I liked that one."

"Me too." Anerin agreed.

"Hell, if anything, this could be a regular spot for us when dining." Barry suggested, liking the idea.

"I don't plan on eating out a whole lot, Barry," Cadence responded, looking pleased with her fries lined up by height and going toward her hotdog. "I would like to make use of the kitchen area and save by cooking meals. If anything, we can occasionally meet up here when we have time." The girl paused and glanced at the others. "I also have a tendency to make big portions if anyone is interested."

"If...if you wouldn't mind us stopping by from time to time." Mina swallowed, nervous having asked.

"I don't think either of us would mind. We could use the company." Barry assured her. "It would get boring being stuck up in our dorm room from time to time. The company would be well worth it. Seems like Cadence has already found a friend in you, Mina."

"It would relieve the boredom." Anerin chuckled.

"I agree." Barry stated before taking another bite of his food.

The strawberry blonde smiled and nodded. "And afterward, we can play some card games and board games and find real reasons to hate each other," she laughed, popping one of the shortest fries into her mouth. "I got Uno and Monopoly and more, so yeah."

"And if anyone likes console gaming, that's what I've got. Hell, even throw in some truth or dare, or spin the bottle if that's what you're into. Jokes aside, we'll do what we can to make it entertaining when you decide to come over to hang out with us. If you want to go out somewhere, say, the mall, for instance. We could find some time, and gas money will be needed for transport."

"Not a bad idea." Anerin agreed. "I like it."

"Sounds like fun." Mina smiled.

"Ooh!" Cadence started, raising a hand. "I have a station wagon that can fit everyone comfortably, so we can take my ride," she offered with a big smile. She was slowly working her way up the length of the fries, popping another into her mouth. "But window shopping does get sad when you're poor..." She thought back to home, or whatever home she had left. It was window shopping there, too. She had to suffice with donations and hand-me-downs quite a bit. She wondered if she would be able to improve her lifestyle here.

"Sounds like a good idea." Barry chimed in.

"Yeah. I'd like that." Mina agreed.

"Looks like I'll get to see more of what a city looks like." Anerin chuckled. Barry was distracted by his food and drink, taking a bite before drinking some of his soda. He didn't notice that Mina was looking in his direction.

"Mina." The cashier called, snapping her from her gaze. She jumped, having been surprised. She got up from her seat and walked over to get her food. A chicken sandwich with some fries and a soft drink. She sat back down and started eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.