Multilingual

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I can't speak anything but English. I can (somewhat) understand Spanish, as I've taken... five years of classes. But the ones in middle school were a joke, and it has been two years since my last class. So, I'm a one-langauger.

My dad's cousin (aunt once removed? Som't like that...) however, can speak seven languages fluently, and has five more that she has a working knowledge in. She is an independent contractor for airlines, and has to travel all over the world. She spent the last year and a half in Saudi Arabia, owns a house in Madagascar and Germany, and a mansion in Italy. She is a really interesting relative. And while I don't envy her job, she doe shave a gift for languages, no matter what anyone may have to say about it.

I do speak multiple languages, because in the first place, my native tongue is Hungarian, so English is only my second language. I also speak and understand a bit of German because I have studied it for four years and I know a few words in Japanese and Russian. Nothing fancy there, however, just really, really basic stuff and sometimes not even that.

I would like to learn Russian, Latin and possibly Swedish or some sort of a Norse language for my other languages, but I do not know if I will be able to make it beside university, not to mention that there is not nearly as much material available in those languages as there is in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.