Multilingual

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know English and 2 dialects of Arabic, some French, some German, and I'm currently learning Italian. I also know medical language if that counts!

Reactions: Torsty
My younger brother is autistic so my mom put me in classes with Kevin to learn sign language so that I could tell them what Kevin wanted. Being the oldest had its advantages at time, otherwise i was being blamed for EVERYTHING lol.

and it is american Sign, I believe it varies from what deaf culture you explore and there are many. I would go to bowling night with deaf communities to learn, and they taught me ALL the naughty words O.O

and signing a curse words is SO much more fun than saying it :D

I couldn't learn any other language beyond sign tho i'm maxed out it seems.

I couldn't learn any other language beyond sign tho i'm maxed out it seems.

That is simply not true! What usually holds people back from learning new languages is a lack of self-confidence or motivation. If you really want to, you can do it!
I don't want to come off harsh, I just don't agree that language learning is something you can "max out on" or that it's something only for people with "special talents" or whatever. :P

My first advise would be to check out the thriving "polyglot"-community you can find on youtube so that before you begin you can learn from other people and their experiences so you don't start out wrong and lose interest after 3-6 months. =)

• Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli
OMFSM Maori! :D I'm so jealous! Studying the Maori culture & language is one of my dreams...
now i feel like an anthropology nerd...

If I could pick any language, though... Latin ftw. It's a doorway into the romance languages, and incredibly useful for understanding scientific terms. After that, ASL. I was conversational in kindergarten, but I've forgotten almost everything. ;_;

Right now I only speak English, but I can understand simple conversations in German. Three years in school with a teacher who was BATSHIT INSANE (bad enough to get sacked halfway through a year, not just a bit eccentric) means I know shit about grammar, construction, vocabulary, tenses, or genders, but I've picked up enough vocabulary that I understand the easy stuff. It helps that my community is still fairly Deutsche. My Opa speaks both languages fluently, but he didn't teach my father shit, so I don't know much. How to ask for food at the dinner table, mostly. XD Between school and the community I know about enough to give directions to German tourists because if we both understand every other word the point gets across eventually, lol.
It's worth noting that Deutschxan is the Tex-Mex of German and a lot of what I've learned is wrong, dated, or just completely made-up.

I'd rather study the culture instead of language. I'm one for cultural stuff, so I discovered. The culture and history of the Māori really does interest me and I think that it's really cool how they used to be really smart and were able to mimic people's voices. Maoris' nowadays are just sloppy little drunk heads. At least the majority I know. And one of the things I hate about Maoris, is that all the good looking ones are most likely to be your cousins, GAWD DAMMIT!!
But I do like the language when it comes to singing in maori. :)
Kapahaka is really fun and we're trying to bring it back up at my school.

I only know a few words in German, only know how to spell one of those words though (ja - yes), I think.
I think it's really cool how people know languages and can direct people like tourist to places. :)

I'd rather study the culture instead of language. I'm one for cultural stuff, so I discovered. The culture and history of the Māori really does interest me and I think that it's really cool how they used to be really smart and were able to mimic people's voices. Maoris' nowadays are just sloppy little drunk heads. At least the majority I know. And one of the things I hate about Maoris, is that all the good looking ones are most likely to be your cousins, GAWD DAMMIT!!
But I do like the language when it comes to singing in maori. :)
Kapahaka is really fun and we're trying to bring it back up at my school.

I only know a few words in German, only know how to spell one of those words though (ja - yes), I think.
I think it's really cool how people know languages and can direct people like tourist to places. :)

The culture is just fascinating! It's a fascinating offshoot of the typical Polynesian due to climate and isolation... although really, it's the parallels in artwork between them and the Amerindian tribes of the Pacific Northwest that I find really interesting. The first time I saw pictures of Maori carvings I was brought back to a museum in Seattle- hard to believe how geographically separated such similar styles can be.
Ah, now I'm starting to ramble. XD
It really is a shame that so many native populations have gotten only the worst parts of European culture. :c The language and culture of so many places are just getting washed away with alcohol- it's estimated we lose almost a language every two weeks, largely due to the lack of new speakers and rapid decline of the old.
I also feel you with the cousins thing- I'm tenth generation, so anyone with a local last name has probably at least married into my family before! I'm dating a guy from Alaska just to be sure. XD

German is awesome to spell, but the grammar is no bueno. I wish all parts of the language were as simple- honestly, I wish we could apply German spelling rules to English. It riely mäks mor sens logiclie. For the most part there are no silent letters, no vowel combinations that can make more than one sound, no multiple sounds for one consonant, fewer random French words that we didn't bother to re-spell... man, that's the only thing I miss about German class. If I could say it out loud, I could spell it.

The culture is just fascinating! It's a fascinating offshoot of the typical Polynesian due to climate and isolation... although really, it's the parallels in artwork between them and the Amerindian tribes of the Pacific Northwest that I find really interesting. The first time I saw pictures of Maori carvings I was brought back to a museum in Seattle- hard to believe how geographically separated such similar styles can be.
Ah, now I'm starting to ramble. XD
It really is a shame that so many native populations have gotten only the worst parts of European culture. :c The language and culture of so many places are just getting washed away with alcohol- it's estimated we lose almost a language every two weeks, largely due to the lack of new speakers and rapid decline of the old.
I also feel you with the cousins thing- I'm tenth generation, so anyone with a local last name has probably at least married into my family before! I'm dating a guy from Alaska just to be sure. XD

German is awesome to spell, but the grammar is no bueno. I wish all parts of the language were as simple- honestly, I wish we could apply German spelling rules to English. It riely mäks mor sens logiclie. For the most part there are no silent letters, no vowel combinations that can make more than one sound, no multiple sounds for one consonant, fewer random French words that we didn't bother to re-spell... man, that's the only thing I miss about German class. If I could say it out loud, I could spell it.

They're actually quite different. Similar, but different.

That's the horrible thing. Different languages are beautiful, complicated to learn some but they're awesome and unique in their own way.
The cool thing about drinks, is parties. Though I'm usually a loner at parties, I love maori parties. It just seems really family like (not family friendly like) but fun. :)

And that's why I'm gonna marry a Korean.

Oh my gawd! Yes! That's a reason why I dislike the English language! The spelling and grammar! A lot of the words don't even sound like how they are spelt and it's very annoying in my opinion that they have silent letters. Where do those even come from?!

Well, I know a little bit of German.

Other than that, though, the only other "languages" I can "speak" are the languages I make up for RP settings. -.-

It's not really that hard. It's more a matter of knowing about how grammatical structures work and how to manipulate them into making something that is unique in its stylings, and then add flavorings of different cultural backing into them.

It's not really that hard. It's more a matter of knowing about how grammatical structures work and how to manipulate them into making something that is unique in its stylings, and then add flavorings of different cultural backing into them.

Hmmm....yeah, but it still seems cool. :)

I probably wouldn't have the time or space in my brain to make one, seeing as a lot of nonsense and silly things have filled it up. ^_^'

FRENCH! I live in the french-speaking part of Switzerland, I've lived here since I was eight.

So I speak the language of luuuuuuuuurve. *waggles eyebrows seductively*

I'd actually like to destroy that urban myth right now if possible. French is absolutely not a romantic language. It may -sound- all poetic and musical from an outsider perspective, with all those purred "r"s and the passionately murmured "e"s, but french speakers that sound like they're on the verge of kissing are probably telling each other everything they ever did wrong.

The language is like, absolutely awesome with insults. The slang is crude-speaker gold. You can call someone impotent, accuse them of prostitution, compare them to feces, back to prostitution again and associate them with a vagina, followed by semen. In one breath.

It's brilliant. :D

I speak English and Irish fluently, and I'm pretty good with French too.

For starters, Irish and Gaelic are similar, but they are actually two different languages. Irish is spoken in the Gaelteacht areas of Ireland and taught as a subject in Irish schools. I think Gaelic might be split again, between Scottish Gaelic and Welsh, but I'm no authority on it. I can kind of make out what someone is saying in Scottish Gaelic, but not in Welsh.
I hated Irish in school, despite having a brilliant but I love speaking it now. It's actually quite a fun language~

I remember the first time I went to Paris, my French teacher sat all the girls down at the hostel and taught us a lot of unflattering terms for women, because she was afraid some naughty French boys made fools out of us. It's an absolutely fantastic language to be vulgar in though, because everything still sounds so pretty.

Reactions: Torsty
Obviously English, besides from that I speak a dialect Chinese, Mandarin Chinese, Dutch and the basic German, French and Frisian. I understand parts and words Arabics and Russian, though never enough to fully understand. [Mostly curse words. Cause people like to curse here in this placex:]

Currently trying to study a little Latin.

Last edited:
I speak English and some Spanish cause I work around lot of Mexicans. I think they like the fact that I at least try to speak with them, and I pick up new words and phrases from time to time. Honestly though if you threw me into a conversation with a native Spanish speaker, in a conversation unrelated to construction and my job, I would fail pretty hard, lmao.

Oh, Mexican Spanish? Mr. Tenth Month, sir, you should tell them this. "Ey, chamaco. Quiero tocar tu pito porque es muy largo." Useful thing to know, sir! *wink*

Just to give an example of, for instance, the Livoniianoi language, I wrote a song. I might record myself singing it at some point. It's got a lot of high notes, so eh.

Ek Pharistosi ouranion,
Ae philotorus respeion,
Ek Deiostosi ouranion,
Ier xalchos turia,

Ae kalliopos kyrion!
Iet devotinos harmotosi kefteios,
Ae indurios kyrion!
Et vorianos Livonii aetun.

Ek Livoniia ouranion,
Tur rasposbaia barbaroi,
Ek Basileion ouranion,
Dur spadaroion deferos,

Ae kalliopos kyrion!
Iet devotinos harmotosi kefteios,
Ae indurios kyrion!
Et vorianos Livonii aetun.

A couple of notes must be made on the language itself. First, there is no th sound like at the end of teeth as we know it, instead, it is blended together with D and represented by D. In addition, there are a multitude of words for blessing, faith, etc, due to the overall religious nature of their society. It's like eskimos having 60 words for snow. In addition, R's roll. IN ADDITION, the language that they are singing in would be considered a form of ceremonial "religious" language, and is not actually in common use by the vast majority of the populace. A good label for it would be "Old Church Livonian".

A rough translation would be essentially,

"Our Pharistos be blessed,
With breath and mind,
Our Theos (Their main goddess) be blessed,
Through each clock's turn,

Let us be eternally blessed! (Kyrion is a more severe form of blessed than Ouranion)
Our devotion and fortitude remain strong,
Let our blessing endure!
We shall remain Livoniianoi.

Our Livonia be blessed, (Livonia is the standardized name of their empire)
Repulse the wicked barbarians,
Our Emperor be blessed,
His soldiers our prayers protect,

Let us be eternally blessed!
Our devotion and fortitude remain strong,
Let our blessing endure!
We shall remain Livoniianoi."

Status
Not open for further replies.