Moth to a Flame

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Fairly speaking, Shinju wasn't entirely herself either, but that she knew not to blame on the sake served tonight. It was the feeling of escapism, the lack of scornful eyes judging her. Though the Sengoku era was a tumultuous one, and though Shinju had hated every moment of it, it was this night that stood precious to her, a genuine smile for once coming out on her face, carefree and free, as if there was nothing to fear.

"Oh, don't speak of it!" she exclaimed, giving Asuga a light tap on her arm before promptly filling the kunoichi's cup once more. Shinju wanted to say more, she wanted to mention how she had attained the highest levels in martial arts and won competitions, and how she fared better with hand-to-hand and archery instead, but refrained herself, realising that she wasn't home, that it did not matter in the sengoku era unless she had shot a man.

Asuga continued to ramble, however, complaining about the manor and how she was stuck. Guilt washed over Shinju as she knew that it was per her suggestion to come to Azuchi. Hopefully their meeting with Nobunaga would fix that, though she held her doubts, still. It was going to be a trial nonetheless.

Kyubei stuttered something as Asuga barraged him with questions for his own, his hands rising up as if trying to protect himself.

"All I have is Lord Mitsuhide," the man admitted sheepishly, and for that Shinju felt even more apologetic for the man, for she couldn't believe the other to be good company.

"Well, let us be friends then! I don't care much for riding, but you can take Asuga out for me and give me a breather," Shinju offered, a chuckle escaping her which she covered behind her sleeve. "And we can spend our time at our leisure here, playing silly games as these," she continued with a wave of her hand before filling Kyubei's cup as well.
When Asuga pointed at her, Shinju had to blink, surprise overtaking her. Though familiar with the English language Shinju was also limited in it, shoulders tense as she eyed Kyubei, who hadn't understood at all. Logical, for this era had only just started its exposure to the western culture.

"My, Asuga," Shinju decided to smile, hands folded in her lap as she watched the kunoichi lean into Kyubei slowly, her eyes barely staying open. "You're confusing Kyubei with your foreign speech, but to put it into context: it is my turn to speak up," she explained to the man who was slowly growing heavier with the extra weight leaning on him.

"But it seems that I'm spared from answering," Shinju chirped cheerfully as she picked up her cup, enjoying the cool breeze of the night as she sipped away.

"I'm still here to listen?" Kyubei spoke up, letting the kunoichi take her rest on his shoulder as he got into a more comfortable position to sit. To this Shinju eyed the other, a careful smile on her lips as she looked ahead over the manor walls, enjoying the scenery.

Shinju knew that she wasn't acting like her usual self. Not the one at home. Though, if one were to ask her who the real Shinju was, the female had little to no clue and much less did she know how to answer the question due.

"I wanted to be a doctor," Shinju answered, and though not entirely true it was the closest epithet to what she actually wanted to attain. "So I learnt about anatomy and more," she continued, her voice turning softer and her words sterner, while her tone grew reserved.

"That was what I enjoyed, I suppose. Next to the arts I was taught," she shrugged, realising that the mood had suddenly stilled. Fearing that it was her answer that had done it the female shook herself out of her mood, a smile returning.

"Ah, but while I was praised for my calligraphy, my grandmother always berated my koto-play. I fear that I don't own that finesse for musicality," she continued on a more cheerful note.

• Creative
Reactions: ShakenVeil
Asuga
Asuga felt terribly sleepy and exhausted and all of a sudden, Kyubei's shoulder looked very comfortable. Like a nice soft pillow. Her mind was lured into a false sense of security created by Sake. Her amber eyes fell shut and before she even realized it, the side of her head was resting against Kyubei, her breathing evened out and she was gone, passed out right there, not even noticing when her new 'pillow' moved or they got more company.

The last days finally caught up to her. The Kunoichi wouldn't be moving anytime soon.

Mitsuhide
Mitsuhide still hadn't moved from his position by the door, eyes carefully observing the situation in front of him. There was a smile on his lips, though it was not his usual, fake and evil smile. It was actually soft, as he saw how the two women tried to pull his vassal out of his shell. Kyubei had never been someone to openly talk about himself, though even with their shared history and the endless amount of trust he put upon his friend, there were a few things even Mitsuhide did not know. Him and Kyubei were alike in many points, but also so very different. His vassal was a gentle soul, at least outside of work, kind, caring and willing to help whenever he can.

As long as you were not an enemy of the Akechi.
Kyubei was also more efficient than any other person he had ever met. If he needed something done? Something questionable, a blow that had to be delivered quick and silent? Kyubei was his man to talk to. Sometimes Mitsuhide thought he should thank him more for his boundless loyalty. He didn't trust many people, or considered someone a friend. Kyubei was one of them, though.

Seeing Asuga, the Maeda's guard, falling asleep on his shoulder with a soft smile on her face was certainly an amusing sight. Shinju seemed to agree. Now was maybe the time to make his entrance. He replaced his fond expression with his signature smirk and casually strolled up to the pavillion, shooting Kyubei a grin, before sitting down next to Shinju without asking. He took the Sake cup the guard had left behind as she slipped into a peaceful slumber, taking the bottle and poured himself the alcohol.

"My, Kyubei. It looks like your profession now extended on being a nighttime pillow, now does it?" He chuckles before taking a sip from the Sake. It tasted like nothing, just a pleasant burn flowing down his throat. His attention turned to Shinju with a side glance. Maybe he could coax some more informations out of their guest.
"Well, tell us a bit more about yourself, little lady. How interesting. A doctor, hm? Ieyasu is a doctor and herbalist." He watched her carefully, looking for any hints in her expression that would give away points of her actual origin. He mentally noted the comment about her grandmother and her knowledge of education in arts. What else he could learn about her, he wondered?

Nobody could at least tell him that he wasn't curious.

• Spicy
Reactions: Nemopedia
"Lord Mitsuhide!" Kyubei called out in a stammer when the lord of the house suddenly appeared, casually sitting himself next to Shinju. Though the man was only acting surprised, having grown used to the wiles of his master long since.

Shinju, in contrast, was genuinely surprised, having already gotten half up from her seat before she slowly lowered herself down once more, making sure to keep some distance from the other. Schooling her expression Shinju tensed herself, bracing herself for whatever mockery she was to face from the man now as she watched him drink from Asuga's cup.

"Good evening, Lord Akechi," she greeted the man coolly, before eyeing Asuga, relieved to find that the kunoichi was actually vast asleep instead of glaring. It seemed that both Asuga and Shinju had collectively decided not to take a fast liking to the man. A fact Shinju couldn't blame the kunoichi for, knowing that Asuga had served Shingen for quite a bit longer than she had.

"Now that my lord is here to accompany you, shall I go ahead and put Asuga to bed?" Kyubei wrapped a gentle arm around Asuga who had found her rest on the shoulder of the man. An endearing sight, she found as Shinju wondered if this meant Asuga had decided to trust Kyubei despite his alliance to Mitsuhide.

With a wave of her arm Shinju smiled at the male, motioning that he didn't have to ask her for permission.

"She deserves the rest," she started, a sigh of relief escaping her to see that the other was indeed deep asleep. "The left futon is hers, though it doesn't really matter in which you put her," the female informed the man before watching the two of them leave. A terrifying thought, for Mitsuhide was by far the scariest warlord in Azuchi. It wasn't only for the lack of records left behind about him, but also for his inquisitive nature, which was something none of her studies had warned her for.

However, Mitsuhide was by far one of the more tolerable warlords in the Sengoku era. Compared to the likes of Ieyasu, at whose mention Shinju could only scowl, the female actually didn't hold much of an opinion of the man before arriving in the era, though it was clear that he was slowly changing that for the worse.

"I have shared what I had to share, why don't you share some of your hobbies, Lord Akechi?" Shinju challenged, plastering a smile across her lips before realising that she had just doomed herself.

Realising that there were no more cups to fill other than her own, or Mitsuhide's, Shinju regained herself, reaching out to pour her own cup instead.

In the meanwhile Kyubei had carried Asuga to her room, more sober than one had expected from his little play earlier. The futon that Shinju had mentioned being the kunoichi's seemed untouched, suggesting that the foreigner had either not slept at all, or barely done so since arriving. A dire observation indeed, which made tonight seem all the more precious. To be able to see both women let go of their reservations at last, and to find Asuga finally finding peace in rest. If Kyubei hadn't already understood the request from earlier today he would have most definitely picked up on the reasoning now.

"Sleep well," he whispered, more out of courtesy than anything as he laid the woman down, gently tugging her in as to make sure that she wouldn't catch a cold.

• Creative
So stiff was their little guest around him. Would she ever be able to relax? It was just too much fun to coax a reaction out of her. For a moment he turned his attention to his vassal, how he carefully picked up Shinju's sleeping guard, carrying her out of the pavillion and back into the manor. Of course she didn't sleep much. Protecting her lady, certainly feeling like she was in the enemy's den, as she had put it. Though his vassal seemed to be trustworthy enough to her. Kyubei really had the most gentle heart.

"Your precious guard doesn't seem to take the situation here in Azuchi very well now, does she?", he commented with a neutral tone, not really expecting an answer. The two women were far more mysterious than their looks would lead on and it made Mitsuhide all the more interested. Casually he leaned back, stretched out on the ground of the pavillion, taking the bottle from Shinju's hands and refilling his cup with sake. When she asked about him, he was actually surprised. Of course he would never show that on the outside. Usually the only one poking around in his business was the local mother monkey called Hideyoshi.

"You want to know about me, hm?" Well, he couldn't blame her. But she couldn't directly expect of him to give her some truthful or revealing answers. He wouldn't ruin his own fun. There was a mischievous glint in his eyes, as he leaned over to Shinju with a grin. "My favorite past-time is tormenting nosy little mice." He stayed like this for a moment before sitting back up, chuckling to himself.
"I tease, of course." How could he reveal that he didn't actually have a direct distraction from his duties? He was always working, forging the path to make his own ideals happen, to end these cursed wars, regardless of who was in his way or who he had to get rid of. He had his part to play in this just like everyone else, voluntarily or not. A snarky little lady showing up out of nowhere surely was worth the amusement occasionally, but he couldn't let himself get too distracted. Maybe he should reveal a small truth to her.. A meaningless one. "You want to know what I actually enjoy outside of work? I have the very ambitious goal to make one of the veins in Hideyoshi's eye pop before the year ends."

He shot her a short smile and took a sip out of his sake cup, eagerly waiting for what she would do with this information, if anything at all. Maybe she was lucky enough and Kyubei would return from his bedtime duties soon enough to come to her rescue, though Mitsuhide honestly hoped he wouldn't. At least not too soon.

• Spicy
Somewhere Shinju wondered why she hadn't moved seats. It would have been easy enough to do so and it would create distance between Mitsuhide and her. Alas, it was too late and the man was mischievously looming over her as Shinju instinctively leaned away, not comfortable with the distance that remained between their faces.

"Lord Akechi, all this teasing. I might think you have a crush," the female defended herself, eyes trying to look anywhere but his face, or the low collar. Inconspicuously the female tried to hide her face behind her sleeve, pretending to be drinking, while in reality she was trying to work away a blush. Damn him, damn her own bashfulness, damn it all.

However, when the man shifted to a more sincere tone, though his words still teasing and mocking, the female lowered her arm, dark eyes trying to read his features in suspicion.

Was he trying to distract her again? Give her another red herring as he hid himself behind all of his smart quips? After her meeting today with the warlords Shinju could tell that her personal opinions and biases hadn't caught up yet. These warlords, Mitsuhide included, all had their accounts recorded, but it said nothing about their character, or what had formed it. At most, it had speculated and based on that she had made her assumptions. Perhaps, Hideyoshi wasn't as bad as she had initially thought him to be, or perhaps Mitsuhide was in secret a vigilante that loved to aggravate the bad.

But that wasn't what she focused on, or should focus on. Realising the real meaning behind the female burst out into a laugh, hand quickly rising to cover her mouth as she reared herself in shortly after the outburst.

"Lord Akechi," she managed to get out, her shoulders still shaking as she tried to control herself, "that answer is as depressing as the rest of us have given," she continued and then immediately felt bad for laughing.
One had given up on her hobbies, two simply didn't make time for it, and Shinju? The female liked to believe that she had a great privilege, growing up in a peaceful country and in wealth. What did she have to lack that she couldn't answer properly? She hadn't arrived nearly long enough in this era to be affected to such an effect.

"Ah, I seem to have drunk too much," the female announced, "Perhaps it is best if I switch to water, so not to spoil Lord Akechi's night too early."

And this she meant genuinely, for she understood how rare these peaceful times were in the Sengoku era. As much as the man got under her skin Shinju found that she still wished for him to find some peace, even if it was with someone he couldn't trust.

• Creative
He looked at Shinju for a moment and then laughed, his eyes filled with honest mirth as she claimed that he had a crush. It was nice to talk to someone who would neither blow up at his teasing or shrink away in fear. What an interesting and refreshing change of pace. When she hid herself behind her sleeve, his laugh got even more joyful. And soon they were laughing together about his, as she said, very much depressing answer about his hobbies. And she wasn't wrong, not at all, which made the whole situation even funnier for him.

His citrine eyes looked at her for a while, a lazy smirk on his lips. Her laugh was nice, he had to admit. It was good to see her let loose a little bit since he pretty much locked these two women up in his manor out of pure suspicion, though over the past few days, he had figured out himself that at least Shinju wasn't a bad person or planned anything evil, or so it seemed for now. Maybe he would get his hands on some other information later, but at the moment he would let it slide and try to make her a bit more comfortable.. in his own way..

His expression eventually slipped back into the neutral face he usually wore around others, taking a sip from his Sake, he looked out onto town, where all the people of Azuchi were probably going to sleep already, except for the lunatics in the inns or taverns. For a short amount of time Mitsuhide felt a sense of calm wash over him. A dangerous feeling. It could lead someone to be careless, not paying enough attention to their surroundings.
"My dear little lady, you may enjoy yourself as you please. Do not pay any mind to my humble self.", he spoke with an overflowery tone, mostly just to tease her again, though there was truth in his words. He would rather she actually enjoyed the drinks, even if it was in his company. "I would ask you to stop addressing me as 'Lord Akechi'. We've been living in the same building for a few days now, I think it might be appropriated if we leave the honorifics behind. Calling me by my first name is well enough, Shinju."

He emptied his cup and refilled it immediately, noticing that they would run out of Sake soon. Though Mitsuhide would rather not leave her by herself. Just because he didn't think she was necessarily bad it didn't mean she would go running and do something stupid. "Tell me about your home, Shinju. I have to admit I'm quite curious about your origins." Maybe what he couldn't learn over his network, he could just simply ask directly of her. It didn't require her to give him much to have him paint a picture of her situation. Though his citrine eyes showed honest interest and curiosity.

Since it wasn't unusual for women to be sometimes simply forgotten by society, it didn't surprise him that he couldn't find any records of her in the Maeda family line, though still frustrating, not to think about her guard who wasn't even from their country, but from the far fest if he looked at her features. "And maybe how you met your guard? I've been wondering how a fighter from the west finds herself by the side of a japanese noblewoman." He narrowed his eyes a little and waited patiently for her answers, sipping Sake and a pleasant smile on his face.

• Spicy
It felt off, to be able to laugh along with Mitsuhide, yet it felt natural. And when he found no offence in her smile the female dared herself all the more to giggle along, relaxing once more as she leaned back in her seat.

The silence that followed didn't seem all that bad this time, peaceful even, and for the first time Shinju felt that she actually enjoyed her time in this era. For the first time she noted the low roofs, the room that one had to expand and build, to live and breath. Sneakily she dared herself to look further up, finding to her delight that the stars were clear and that they were bright, for once not outshined by the lights of the city.

Tensing up again Shinju's eyes sought out Mitsuhide's, her expression blank as she heard his request. In modern Japan the classes of nobility were at large gone, though that didn't mean that etiquette and custom had faded. What were once bloodlines that ruled was now money, and Shinju had grown up in such an environment. However, here in the Sengoku era Shinju was reminded of its similarities and its differences once more. Though her manners would have been appropriate in her own time there was no reason for her to show such deference to the man, for the Maeda stood above the Akechi, for they had the power and the money that the Akechi struggled for.

Yet, Shinju found it ill-befitting to the man, dark eyes examining him with interest. His air, his manners and speech, nothing that hinted away at the struggles he had gone through to climb this high. Yet, none of it was pretentious, or assumed, as if it was only his right. It was natural, it was unassuming and perhaps that was what had Shinju forget so easily that in this era, she was of the higher rank.

"Perhaps that is what makes you all the more deserving of respect," the female spoke, feeling bold for once as she quickly sipped from her cup. Turning her eyes away she lifted them up once more, towards the sky, enjoying a sight so rare in her own time.

The following silence was more uncomfortable, what with Mitsuhide asking her the questions she had feared the most. Shinju found that, while she was a little tipsy, she was far too clear in mind to properly answer the question with bravado. Not that she wished herself to be drunk, for the female didn't trust herself to be able to lie well even when sober, but perhaps then she wouldn't have kept so suspiciously quiet.

"At home I rarely saw the stars," she said instead, which was the truth. Kyoto was too bright for the night to stay the night, darkness was hard to find and with the long hours she made in her professional life there was little time to enjoy all else, let alone breath. "My parents were often engaged, leaving me with my grandparents," she continued, wondering why she continued divulging these senseless details that could only give her away. Though, somewhere she felt that she had to, as if some force within compelled her to.

Remembering her life in the modern age the story seemed to piece in together almost too easily as a sigh escaped her. "I met her when I was sent abroad for my education," she admitted, mixing truths with lies. She had indeed been sent abroad, to gain her MBA, on the wishes and insistence of her family, so that she may more effectively lead the family company. A dream of the family that was not her own. Though, it was obvious that this was not where she had met Asuga.

"I had a difficult time adjusting. It was almost natural," she concluded, leaving between to which time she alluded, not that she suspected Mitsuhide to know there was more than one dramatic shift in her environment. It applied to either anyway. Her time abroad had been difficult indeed, foreign as she was, but nothing as difficult as the Sengoku era had been. At least this place had Asuga who looked after her, a support she had lacked in her experience before, but at least then she had preparation, evening out the experience.

Then another dark thought followed, as it often did when she thought of her life back home. Chasing it away Shinju waves a hand at the other. "Your turn, Mi-tsu-hi-de," she decidedly said, putting a mocking emphasis on the syllables of his name. She had, indeed, said too much, but that was a regret for the future.

• Creative
He mentally saved up all the information she was offering him, though he couldn't connect what Shinju said to any place in Japan he knew. She said she left the country for a while because of her education, though.. Her family probably had been pushing her very hard, at least from what it sounded like. Did she run away from them? Why would she run away into basically the arms of another branch of her family, though? This woman just became more and more of a mystery. While he was listening to her, Mitsuhide was lounging casually next to her, watching the sky, always a light smile on his lips.

Something didn't feel quite right about the story of her meeting her guard, but maybe he could find more out about this later. He could also ask her guard directly, though somehow he thought she would murder him first. Some other day then..

"Why of course I met your guard the first time when we returned to Azuchi. You two stood quite out from the rest of the crowd. You really need to be more careful, little lady." He shot her a smirk and emptied his cup one more. "Asuga made quite the interesting gesture towards me, when we locked eyes for a moment. Maybe you could explain what this means?"
He sat straight up again, put down the empty Sake cup and lifted his right hand, so Shinju had a clear view and formed a fist. With a totally deadpan expression he put up his middle finger and held it for a while, expression unmoving. "This is quite the foreign gesture and I've been wondering ever since what it means. She looked quite murderous while we were passing by. Quite curious, don't you think?"

He chuckled quietly and turned his attention back to the stars, back to his comfortable position, when he decided not to tease Shinju any further.. for now. It was late and tomorrow they would have to meet with Nobunaga. Mitsuhide already decided that he would back her up in front of his lord. Without direct knowledge about the Maeda clan things could get suspicious very quickly and he would rather not these two women being executed by an overexcited Hideyoshi, because he thought they were spies.

"Maybe the little lady should retire for the evening, don't you agree?" He shook his head a little bit with a smile. "Do not forget that you have to meet our lord tomorrow in the afternoon, so you should be well rested.." He didn't add the silent: Because of Hideyoshi - to the sentence. He trusted her guard to keep Nobunaga's rather handsy attitude from Shinju. "And do not worry too much about it… Or maybe you should?" One last tease for the night, he couldn't stop himself. He got up to his feet with a smirk and held out his hand to help her up.

• Spicy
Shinju scowled when Mitsuhide felt the need to tease her again. Of course he did, always avoiding answering questions and twisting words. Sometimes the female felt like she was talking to a lawyer, the constant game of semantics.

But, before she could even recall what gesture Asuga had made again, Mitsuhide had dared himself to repeat it. His pale hand standing in contrast to the dark night as Shinju's cup clattered to the floor.

"I… ah, that's…" the female stammered, at a loss of words and a blush rushing up her face. How was she supposed to answer the question and explain the obscene gesture? Wincing the female scrambled to pick up her cup again, her eyes turning everywhere but Mitsuhide's face as she tried to regain her cool.

"Very curious indeed, and not one that anyone should ever bother repeating," Shinju huffed, the back of her hands feeling for her cheeks as she tried to access the damage. Well, that was at least a very sobering experience, if anything, waking her instantly. "Ask Asuga to explain the gesture," she dismissed the question hastily, unable to bring herself to explain it properly.

When the suggestion for rest came Shinju mentally agreed, a sigh escaping her as she suddenly felt exhausted, the earlier ruckus having sapped her of her last bit of energy. The thought of having to meet Nobunaga, earning an even deeper sigh from her.

"If he's anything like the records kept I have plenty to worry about," Shinju sighed, accidentally spilling her own bias and knowledge, before eyeing Mitsuhide's hand, a frown falling over her face as she debated whether she should take the offer or not.

No, she decided, fearing that he might continue teasing her worse than he had already as she got up herself, feeling herself sway ever so lightly as she regained her balance.

"Well, good night, Mitsuhide," Shinju breathed, eyes turning upwards at the warlord one last time, flashing him a short smile she then turned around, heading for the short steps down the pavilion.

Cool as she tried to act, Shinju soon found herself at the tipping side. A misstep was all it took, or perhaps it was a pillow strewn away from the rest, regardless, with her already missing balance the female found that one small obstacle was enough to entirely throw her off.

• Creative
Mitsuhide

He decided to not say anything towards her comment regarding Nobunaga. His lord was not an easy person to get along or deal with, after all, but Mitsuhide had faith that she would manage just fine. Shinju did not accept his hand, which was fine. It was not like he had any more teasing planned for her this evening..maybe. "You might want to be a bit more careful, little lady." She wasn't exactly stable on her legs. He frowned slightly and decided to stay behind her, while she left the pavillion. The maids could clean the Sake up tomorrow morning. He would inform them before heading back to work himself.

Though even then she tried to handle things by herself, starting to stumble as she was going down the stairs and Mitsuhide shook his head internally. Before she could entirely lose her balance, he caught her by the sides and kept her steady. "Caution when walking stairs, Shinju." He paused for a second, only to see her sway again. From exhaustion or alcohol was questionable, fact was she had troubles standing.

Without further hesitation, Mitsuhide crouched down and picked Shinju up into his arms. "Time to go to your room now." Ignoring any type of protest that might could show up, he carried her down the stairs and into the corridors of the manor. Thankfully, more for her than for him, there was no one to be seen and he was able to safely let her down in front of their room. "Good night, Shinju. Sleep well." He shot her a smile and then turned around, wandering off into his own room, sliding the screen shut behind him. He had to get some more work done, break was over.

Asuga

When Asuga regained a hold of her body, she didn't dare open her eyes. As soon as consciousness was returning to her, a piercing pain shot through her temple directly into her head. Great.. she had a hangover. Out of all places or times.. Now and here she was suffering from the effects of the alcohol from the evening before. Slowly, but surely, the Kunoichi opened her amber eyes towards the already bright lit room. It looked like late morning. How long did she sleep for? She probably was very exhausted..

Asuga sat up and scratched along the shaved off side of her head, only to notice she would have to cut down the stubble soon. Hopefully she could find a quiet place sometime today and get this done. The current situation they were in was really bothering her, the restrictions too disruptive of her usual life.

Annoyed at the day already, she untangled the two braids on the side of her head and stretched her arms. Shinju still looked sound asleep. Asuga was glad about this simple fact. Her companion needed the rest, especially if they should meet Lord Bitch face today. "I want a shower...and coffee… and some proper breakfast.." She sighed deeply and got up to get a change of clothes. Now that the other was still asleep she felt alright to change, not wanting her to see all the scars that littered her body from her work.

Looking like death in slippers, Asuga stepped out into the corridor afterwards, sliding the screen shot behind her as quiet as possible. A big yawn escaped her mouth and she wandered, or more dragged herself, along to find something edible or maybe just some silence...

• Spicy
He had long lashes and eyes almost golden in colour. Eyes that hid a lot more than his smile did, but revealed more than his words. No, Shinju was definitely not drunk enough to be able to meet with Mitsuhide so close to the face, and yet here she was, easily cradled into his arms as he carried her off.

Yet, she didn't seem sober enough to fight him off, opting instead to stare at the man, surprise on her face, just as much as that her mind was in absolute chaos. How was she supposed to react? Her legs were unstable, the buzz in her head too loud, his face too close.

She didn't even react much when he finally let her down, a good night wished to her as well before he disappeared. And even then Shinju stood frozen for a bit, her mind still screaming as she pressed her palms against her cheeks, hoping to cool off soon before she prayed that Asuga was asleep and that Kyubei was gone when she opened the room.

They luckily were, but sleep wouldn't come. Shinju spent a long time, longer than she ever would dare to admit thinking about those eyes of his, the long lashes, and the almost golden irises.

When the sunlight streamed in Shinju woke up as per usual, never one able to sleep in no matter how late the night had been before. However, where she usually would crawl up and start her routine. Where Shinju would have started her day with exercise before breakfast she kept herself hidden under her covers, embarrassment still clear on mind as she laid there to think about what happened last night.

How silly she had been. How she had let herself go so easily. Stifling down a groan Shinju just pinched her eyes closed as she saw Asuga stir, a painful moan escaping the kunoichi, suggesting a hangover.

Would Nobunaga let them off the hook if one of them pretended to be sick? Watching the kunoichi mumble and curse the day from her refuge, Shinju contemplated the option, waging her chances of success before she remembered a certain pair of eyes again.

Another frustrated sigh escaped her, an annoyed grump passing her lips as she finally threw herself up from her bed as soon as Asuga had left the room.

"Focus, Shinju," she told herself, fists balling into her blankets as she heaved a sigh. "Focus, we're meeting Nobunaga, just Nobunaga," she breathed to herself before she finally went on to move on with her morning exercises.

1582. June 1582. That was all she needed to focus on.

Meanwhile a certain shadow was already on the move. Kyubei had figured that the ladies may have trouble getting up in the morning, the late night plans not allowing for much rest. Especially Asuga had seemed out of it, and without the chance to hydrate herself Kyubei worried that she was the worst off of the two.

With two bowls of tonic on a plate the male made his way over to the room of both women, hoping that he had gained enough of their trust to allow them some quick medicine to cure a hangover before their meeting. After all, there was a lot riding upon it.

"Good morning Asuga," the male was quick to notice the foreigner, a gentle smile on his face as he got closer. As Kyubei had suspected, the woman did indeed look like the walking dead, herself, making last night's decision to drink one of deep regret.

"I don't suppose I have to ask how you feel," he jested lightly before lifting the plate towards Asuga, an inquiring brow raised. "I have made you both a bowl of sobering tonics, that it might help relieve the hangover."

• Creative
Asuga

Asuga was still wandering around the corridors when was addressed by Kyubei. Her raging headache refused her to turn around and look at him, eyes trained on the ground to avoid any contact with too much light. She squinted a bit. Why was his voice suddenly so loud? She would never ever drink with Shinju again. Did she do that on purpose?! Asuga cursed everything in existence before she gathered the strength to turn to Kyubei, narrowing her amber eyes at him.

Skeptically she eyes the weird looking fluid in the bowls, not sure if she should dare to drink it or not. But he made this for them.. Ugh.. damn herself. "What is even in there? Are you trying to poison me and get rid of me, Kyubei?" Of course she knew he wasn't going to do that. If only because it wouldn't earn him or Mitsuhide any advantage unless they wanted to do something bad to Shinju, which would Asuga having to kill them both first anyway. "You could have stopped her, you know? Were you both in on getting me wasted?" An irritated huff left her lips, when she reached for one of the bowls.

This looked weird, it smelled weird. There was no way in life she would usually touch anything like this and rather suffer through the hangover by herself. "If I die, I will haunt you for the rest of my life and make yours miserable."
She carefully lifted the bowl to her lips and took a sip, squeezing her eyes shut at the taste. What the actual fuck was this? Now she was indeed very sure he wanted to poison her, forgotten her former reservations. Asuga started coughing and shook her whole body, though instead of giving up she steeled herself once more and actually managed to empty out the rest of the bowl after a good moment of fighting herself. She returned it to the plate, staring at Kyubei accusingly.

Another deep breath and she reminded herself where she was, who she was talking to. The mask of the stern guard slipped back into place and the woman from the night before got hidden away pretty quickly. "Milady was still sleeping when I left the room.", she said with a frown, looking at the other, full bowl.

Mitsuhide

After a very short night of sleep, Mitsuhide directly returned to work. He had letters to write, information to save in his mind and possibly craft some new connections that would give him more reach into the southern regions of Japan. The main point of this morning, though, were preparations for the meeting Shinju would have later on with Nobunaga. Mitsuhide carefully crafted some fake information for his lord, so he wouldn't cause any trouble for the two women. Nothing too overwhelming. Little white lies, easily to confirm on her part.

What he didn't do to keep a bit of entertainment around, at least that's what he told himself when he put everything together into a report to bring to the Tenshu soon. He grabbed the documents and left his room with quick steps, only to run into Asuga and Kyubei in the corridor. What was his vassal doing? Giving Shinju's guard something for the headache, he supposed. Oh no. He had a hard time holding back a chuckle, while he approached them, witnessing the woman shaking in disgust.

Eventually a subtle laugh escaped his lips anyway as he passed them by. "Good morning, Asuga, Kyubei. I am on my way to the castle and our little lady's room is on the way. Allow me." He ignored the protest from the guard and just took the remaining bowl with his free hand, casually strolling off to the women's room. He knocked once, announcing himself, before opening the screen. "Good morning, little lady. My overbearing vassal made something to counter any possible headaches from last night."

• Spicy
Asuga was in a bad mood, understandably so. Her usual tan complexion looked positively pale this morning and the squint of her eyes told Kyubei that no matter how gentle he tried to be, his voice was always too loud for her to bear.

All the more reason to give her the Akechi trademark tonic.

"I promise that it will help you, Asuga. Though I can't vouch for the flavour."

Was what he wanted to say, but Kyubei never got to the end of his sentence as the female had determinedly grabbed one of the bowls and drank them, though not without a witty threat aimed for his life. It earned a smile from the man who only pretended to be shocked, as if a ghost haunting him would be anything as bad as the shadows in which he found himself already.

Not something she had to know, he supposed as he watched Asuga's expression shift into one of offence, and insult as she stared at him in disgust, but more so aimed at the flavour of the tonic than anything else.

"The best medicine is bitter, or in this case, anything but pleasant," he calmly spoke to the kunoichi, a chuckle escaping him. Though, the man did have the dignity to sound at least the slightest bit of guilty for feeding them this concoction, after all, there weren't many who were like his lord, able to swallow all without a flinch.

Though, by the sound of it there was someone with a worse hangover, or so Kyubei could only presume when Asuga claimed that her lady was still asleep.

"Allow me."

As if summoned his master had come around the corner, smoothly picking up the bowl before striding his way over to the door, no doubt only mischief on his mind.

Now Kyubei actually did feel some pity for the victim to come, for his master was not known for his mercy, especially when the target was as clearly marked as the one now.

Shinju in the meanwhile had been meditating, focusing on her breath as she sent it through the various parts of her body, trying to focus on the muscles and the joints there to feel how they felt, whether it was heavy, or sore. A practice she had nearly finished when a knock could be heard from the door, the unmistakable sound of Mitsuhide's voice sounding through.

Immediately she felt herself tense up, removing whatever mindfulness and peace she had found earlier, flashbacks of those elusive eyes popping up fresh in mind.

"Leave it with Asuga, I'm not proper," she promptly responded in a lie. She was dressed alright, but she couldn't bear to face the man so early in the morning.

"If it was Kyubei who made it, why is it you that is bringing the medicine?" she followed up, realising the strangeness of the situation. "Not that I'm ungrateful, I feel honoured even," she quickly added afterwards, minding her own manners as she quickly turned up on one knee.

Was she ready to fight a warlord in case this was a poisoning attempt? Perhaps, though she wasn't looking forward to drinking whatever tonic was made to cure hangovers. Those couldn't possibly taste good, as per her own experiences.

Whatever Mitsuhide's plan was, Shinju's senses were tingling and none of them spelled any good for her. In what way, she couldn't tell yet, but she had a feeling that it was another awful jest, like how the man had come to be known as being a troll and a half in her mind.

Back to the two standing in the back Kyubei simply watched the scene unfold, hiding a smile underneath all of his layers as he listened to the excuse told.

"Is the tonic working?" he turned towards Asuga, his true zeal hidden as he faced the other with a smile. "It is a mixture of turmeric and pickled plum juice, infused with some miso and green tea. It doesn't sound too appetising, but it is an Akechi original and an effective one," the man explained before returning his eyes to his master.

"Lord Mitsuhide isn't one to fuss about taste much, but I tried to harmonise the flavours," Kyubei followed, and he was honest about that. Though there was nothing that could make the tonic taste better he could at least try to make it a little less awful and more… swallowable.

"You will need all of your strength to face Lord Oda, he isn't a man you wish to meet with a hangover," Kyubei chuckled in good humour as he said this, though he knew that there was a tough road ahead of both ladies.

"Ready for something more solid and tastier?" the man finally offered. They would need the strength as well, he knew.

• Creative
Asuga

Asuga sighed deeply, massaging her temples, but already whatever was in that bowl started easing her headache at least. A deep sigh left her lips, when Mitsuhide left them alone again in the corridor. She was a bit worried for Shinju.. This guy was nothing but a big tease and not the good kind. But she also couldn't deny that the tonic actually helped. "... Thank you, Kyubei." She paused a little, her brain still not fully functioning. "More like Kyubae…", Asuga muttered to herself, entirely unaware that she said it out loud.

"Is tasted absolutely awful, I assure you.. But it helped." She shot him a faint smile, not sure what to do next. She wasn't one for social interactions. Hiding in the shadows and doing her work was more what she was made for. The mention of Nobunaga though made her lose that smile very quickly. Out of all people… Thinking about the audience with the Oda was a sour thorn in her thumb. Asuga pinched the bridge of her nose. "I would rather not face him at all, if I can be so frank. But it is what is required of milady, so I will to whatever I can.."

She felt a bit bad for Kyubei that he had to listen to all this while dealing with Mitsuhide and Shinju, too. Asuga shouldn't make life for him any harder. "Apologies.. You didn't need to hear that." Her heart was anchored in Kai and she couldn't hide her anger and disgust for Nobunaga whenever he was brought up around her. It was a problem with Hideyoshi, so she stayed clear from him most of the time, but this afternoon she wouldn't have that possibility. She would be face to face with the man who destroyed her home.
Her thoughts overwhelmed her for a moment, the recent tragedy and the loss of her family still tore at her heart every waking moment. Thinking about it.. Getting wasted yesterday might have been an actual healthy choice for once.

"Thank you for carrying me to our room last night… Shinju certainly has a talent for persuasion, doesn't she?" Asuga paused another time and nodded at his question. "I think so.. As long as Akechi doesn't make the food…"

Mitsuhide

He had no idea what just happened for a moment, he was balancing the tonic still in one hand, barely a drop lost. Mitsuhide was laying on his back, Shinju was standing over him, staring down. She actually managed to catch him off guard once he entered her room unannounced. A strange sense of pride filled his heart just for a short second, before the teasing smirk returned to his face. It was only to hide his fast beating heart and the nervous shock rushing through his veins in the very second where she got a hold of him.

It had also something thrilling, he couldn't deny it.
All these thoughts would never reach the surface for anyone to see. There was nothing but his signature smile and citrine eyes gleaming with mischief. "My, my, my. How unexpected." He chuckled, still balancing the bowl. "Do you greet all your guests in this manner, little lady? I brought you this tonic. I met Kyubei and your guard in the corridor and since I was heading towards the castle, I wanted to drop it by. It was certainly an overthrowing experience, now wasn't it?"

He freed himself carefully from Shinju and sat on the ground of her room, holding the tonic out to her. "It will do you good." He had no idea how this tasted, but he would drink it when he was suffering from a headache or simply drank too much Sake the night before, which to be fair takes a long time. Though Mitsuhide wanted to make sure she would be ready to meet Nobunaga later on.

• Spicy
Kyubei

"Kyu-bae?"

The vassal repeated the strange nickname he had earned, an owlish blink crossing over his expression for once as he stared at the female. Was it a foreign word, or a play on his name? Whatever the reason, Kyubei wasn't quite following as he wondered if he had missed a joke somewhere last night.

What followed after surprised him, however. Asuga's dread to meet lord Nobunaga was not an uncommon one, for the man did instill a fear in many by the mere mention of his name. However, Asuga's reaction didn't seem to be one based on fear, but rather anger, anger that Kyubei couldn't quite place. Not with the information he had on them now.

"It is quite alright, Lord Oda is quite a figure to deal with," Kyubei answered, deciding not to address the anger he had sensed. "I'm quite confident that Lord Mitsuhide will help the lady, and in turn you, in the meeting this afternoon," he continued, hoping that it would reassure her somewhat, or perhaps not, for the source of anger was still unknown to him.

At the mention of the lady, Kyubei merely chuckled jovially, his shoulder shaking lightly before he collected himself.

"I'm afraid I'm too used to Lord Mitsuhide to be a good judge of that, but she did keep your cup filled," he responded teasingly, unable to help himself as he leaned forward towards the female. "I had assumed you would be a better drinker with such a lady, but it was a good time spent nonetheless," he continued before retreating.
"Luckily for all of us Lord Mitsuhide doesn't cook, though that doesn't make meals with him any better."

Holding out an arm Kyubei thus motioned down the corridor as he led the way to the dining room.

Perhaps he was finding himself a bit too amused with the ladies. Kyubei was a man who often kept himself in the shadows of his lord, only venturing out of it when absolutely required. It seemed, however, that ever since last night Kyubei seemed to have a little trouble slipping back into his comfort zone, finding the light just a bit too dazzling for once.

Shinju Maeda

Was she rather horrified to learn that Mitsuhide had no qualms whatsoever to open the door? Yes, yes, she was quite vexed by that and without any hesitation the female had employed herself to dart out of her position and work the 'intruder' down the floor, an annoyed expression on her face.

A knee planted on top of his ribs, the other firmly planted on the joint of his elbow to keep the arm down, as her hand was keeping down the other while her other arm locked his collarbone. It was a by-the-books pin-down, though one she realised was a little too close for her liking as she was once again staring right into those nearly golden eyes.

The fact that he looked like he was enjoying it didn't help one bit either as she pushed herself off, making sure all the while that she didn't put pressure or weight on any of the pressure points she was occupying.

"I said I wasn't decent," she bristled, an annoyed huff following as she released the man, letting herself fall back into a proper sitting position on her knees.

Of course he saw through her lie, and that annoyed her all the more. Even more so when she realised that the bowl he had been holding hadn't spilled a drop. Not a single one despite the manhandling. Had he let himself be caught on purpose? The thought alone aggravated her even more as she made a mental note to ask Asuga if they could focus on disabling more instead of striking.

She couldn't help but let go of a light scoff at Mitsuhide's joke, however, finding the pun to be the slightest bit ironic despite her own irritation. An act she quickly berated herself for as she took the tonic from his hands.

"You really ought not to trouble yourself so, Mitsuhide," Shinju spoke sarcastically, taking a whiff of the tonic before she placed it against her lips, steeling herself for whatever was to hit her. Of course he would, she later realised, with the way the tonic smelled already and its unalluring promise she could only imagine what his intentions were.

Taking a deep breath the female then tipped the bowl, trying to drink it down as fast as possible as she pinched her eyes close.

It was as awful as she had imagined it to be and Shinju pressed her hand against her lips for a good few seconds as she regained her breath afterwards, though she refused to express her disgust out loud.

Now, Shinju didn't have much of a hangover to begin with, but she was pretty certain the tonic was aiming to make her feel something worse. It was a good call that she had this tonic before breakfast, and that was the only thing she was grateful for.

"I'm ready for breakfast," she spoke, getting up from her spot and turned for the door, all the while as she refused to face Mitsuhide. He probably was smirking snarkily at her anyway and Shinju was not in for that expression of mockery.

• Creative
Asuga

Realizing she just said that out loud, Asuga's eyes widened and then she couldn't help but chuckle at herself. "Just a play on your name. Nothing to worry about." She shot him a short smile, crossing her arms over her chest. Talking to Kyubei was easy, somehow. He had a calming presence and a gentle nature, she appreciated it. It reminded her a bit of Chiyome.. Minus the punishments. She thought over what he just told her about Nobunaga and Mitsuhide. "I assume you will understand, that I don't trust neither your lord nor Nobunaga. You are strangers to me and to my lady."

She followed Kyubei's suggestion and followed him to the dining room, walking by his side the tension from before slowly eased off from her shoulders. Asuga thought that he deserved better than to be the shadow of someone like Mitsuhide. It couldn't be easy or comfortable to live such a life. But who was she to talk? Picking the life of an assassin and ninja over the comfort of the castle, she had been offered before. "I heard about that.. Shame for every cook who bothers to feed Akechi. Might as well throw some dry rice into his face." The kunoichi shook her head, not questioning the other's intentions any further for now. She was always ready to fight back if needed, but for now she actually needed some breakfast.
Her headache was almost gone thanks to the medicine.. And maybe? If they were lucky and accepted as actual guest.. She could see Nemain again and get her some exercise. She paid plenty for the stable master to keep their mounts healthy and taken care of, but it was nothing compared to them actually training. Shinju could also use soe horseback training. The more they practiced the better she would be off when they actually had to leave Azuchi. They wouldn't be able to stay here forever, no matter how good their contacts were. Chasing the thoughts away, Asuga turned her attention to Kyubei again. "So what's on the menu today?" Was this too modern speech? The maids in Kai understood her eventually… He could too.

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide sat on the ground of the room, watching Shinju with attentive, citrine eyes as she poured the tonic down her throat, finding a bit amusement in her disgusted reaction, but it would help keep her up on her two legs and healthy. She would need every bit of energy. He rose to his feet when Shinju opened the door again. "If you wish for breakfast, you might want to follow the corridor to the right. As I mentioned, I met Kyubei and your guard in the corridors, they should be heading either to the kitchen or dining room." He gave her a short, mocking bow. "I have to head to the castle now. I will see you this afternoon, little lady."

He turned away from her with another smile and walked out of his manor without further delay. The way to the castle wasn't a long one, with people usually avoiding him the first person he encountered was indeed Hideyoshi and his constant nagging, followed by Masamune's teasing and Ieyasu's off comments. The only one who actually provided him with some information was Mitsunari, but even he had nothing new to share currently, so Mitsuhide chose to ignore their constant bickering and move up to the Tenshu. Nobunaga required the documents he had pulled together in regards of Shinju. Most of them were altered, making up a believable story for her if asked.
He stood for a moment in front of the sliding screen that blocked Nobunaga's private chambers from the rest of the castle. Nobunaga was a smart man but had infallible trust in Mitsuhide and his own belief into a concept, ideals, not a single person like Hideyoshi or the others. It was what made him such an effective right hand man. Another second passed and without knocking, he entered the Devil King's den to forge out a plan for the two women to stay.. for now.

• Spicy
Shinju Maeda

Having expected Mitsuhide to head for the dining room as well, Shinju was sincerely surprised when he merely gave directions, a mocking bow following as he quickly made his way out.

"Aren't you going to eat?" she uselessly called after the man, watching that pale figure disappear into the direction of the Azuchi castle. Confused Shinju wondered if he had eaten already before heading out to her room, making her wonder just what time it was now.

Though, she also recalled rarely ever seeing him in the dining room, suggesting that he mostly ate in his room, if at all.

She made a note to ask Kyubei later, just to make sure that the man wasn't skipping his meals. After all, and so she told herself, as a medical specialist she couldn't quite allow anyone to go on the bare minimum, especially one that exerted themselves as much as samurai did.

With that in mind she followed the directions of the man, though even that hadn't been needed as Shinju had already stayed in the compound for a while, meaning that she had some meals at least.

Just how uncommon was the thought of dining to Mitsuhide that he found the need to do so?

Chewing her lip in thought Shinju stepped into the dining room, her eyes turning to Asuga who seemed surprisingly well for the amount she had drank.

"Morning!" she called, striding her way over to a set table behind which she took place. "Thank you for that tonic, by the way, Mitsuhide already went ahead to the Azuchi castle," Shinju spoke in one smooth line as she eyed Kyubei.

Her words were grateful, but her eyes were anything but for the concoction brewed.

She didn't miss the way there was a fourth table set, as if expecting the lord of the house to join in with them. Frowning Shinju then turned her eyes back to both the vassal and guard, though she kept her thoughts to herself.

Kyubei

To say that one didn't trust his lord or Lord Nobunaga was fair. Kyubei didn't find either to be particularly trust-worthy either in their daily lives. Especially if one didn't get to know the men behind the names fully. Kyubei wasn't one to judge for that call, or to change such an opinion, for he knew that Asuga was in her own right with that.

"To be able to throw dry rice at Lord Mitsuhide would be an unlikely blessing," Kyubei laughed, finding the thought amusing. "I just pity the woman he will take as his wife."

Was Asuga not aware of the meaning behind throwing uncooked rice? Though, he could certainly see his lord try to consume that should he find himself hungry enough with nothing prepared in the back. Certainly an amusing thought and Kyubei once more found himself unable to hold back a smile.

"Though, it might surprise you how many would be willing, perhaps one day we shall be blessed," he concluded, thinking of all who his lord had strung along with him, fawning over the unattainableness of Mitsuhide Akechi.

He froze at Asuga's last question, however. Strangely worded as it was, Kyubei quickly managed to put it in context, his eyes shifting over to the tables that the maids were already setting.
"Just a simple meal of miso, fried vegetables and … rice."

To the last part he couldn't help but grimace again.

"Though, cooked, fortunately," he jested good-naturedly.

Asuga certainly had a strange way of speaking, but he added that to her foreign charm.

His mask slipped back on when Shinju entered, her step certainly much more energetic and cheerful than that of Asuga as she greeted the duo. Had she never had a hangover to begin with, or did the tonic work especially well for her?

Kyubei wouldn't figure that out, other than the note that the lady had grown close enough to his lord to drop the honorifics.

And the fact that his lord was skipping breakfast. Again. He would have to ask the maids to pack some treats for the lord, lest he feared that Mitsuhide wasn't going to eat all day and scavenge in the gardens of Nobunaga.

• Creative
Asuga frowned at Shinju's cheery attitude this morning. While her headache was gone and she actually looked forward to a proper breakfast, she wasn't quite awake yet. Even if it was years past, she still missed a good cup of coffee. All the japanese people drank in this time was tea.. Which was fine sometimes, but she would kill for a cup of dirty bean water. She turned her attention back to Kyubei. "The woman who takes Akechi as her husband is either crazy or desperately hates herself."

She smiled faintly and shook her head. "It'll do. It's better than anything we had on the road." Asuga never minded much to travel with barely anything. She could live off nature for long enough and didn't even really need supplies except for maybe clean water. Shinju was something else. She wasn't used to this lifestyle. When her companion settled next to her for breakfast, she nodded at her. "Good morning, Shinju. I hope lord Akechi didn't bother you too much. I feel, I should have gone after him…"

She also noticed the empty space apparently prepared for Mitsuhide. She never had really seen him eat much, but that wasn't surprising. Not everyone lord was like Shingen, insisting on a meal every evening with the people who lived in Tsutsujigasaki. Not everyone was as much of a people person. The memories clouded her mood for a moment, but she managed to shove them into the back of her head, locked away until she found time for herself to actually mourn the loss of the people closest to her. She never had the chance since they left Kai.
Putting her mask back in place, she smiled at Shinju. She wouldn't want her to worry. Time for a subject change. "I thought we could return to your training once we are done with Oda. Maybe practice your skills on horseback. If we have to travel again your behind will be thankful.", she teased friendly, hiding what was underneath. "I'm glad, you didn't suffer as much of a hangover as me… Why did you make me drink so much? I can't protect you properly when I'm that drunk, Shin…. Milady." Honorifics.. Enemy territory, she reminded herself.

When the maids brought their breakfast, Asuga ate carefully, eyes on her surroundings again. The tension was back in her shoulders and she was ready to jump and fight. It was in her nature, she couldn't help it. Despite everything, she couldn't deny the good feeling a proper meal brought into her soul. It had something homey, comfortable. Not a good feeling when you were on enemy grounds. She tried to shake it off, finishing the breakfast now as quickly as possible, falling silent as she watched Kyubei and Shinju, already feeling out of place again. She missed the open fields. Hopefully after this afternoon they wouldn't be stuck inside anymore. Kyubei said his lord would help them..

Well at least one of them had faith in Akechi.

• Spicy
"Oh, and if he has bothered me," Shinju responded, batting her eyes in time as she eyed Asuga. "He insisted on entering my room, whether I was dressed or not, fortunately I was."

Though cheerful sounding there was a clippedness to her tone hinging towards sarcasm. A coveted manner she had learnt to adopt in high society.

To this Kyubei let go of a chuckle in the background, too used as he was to the antics of his master. Shinju took this as a sign that this was typical behaviour and nothing exceptional, a relief, truly for it was a terrifying combination together with marriage talk she had caught wind of earlier.

Asuga and Kyubei did seem to get along quite splendidly after last night, the female noted, a small smile covering her lips when Shinju raised her bowl, starting her meal after a short prayer.

"When it is just the few of us, you can call me Shinju, you know?" the female shot back at the kunoichi before colouring a bit when her back was mentioned. It was a good thing that the only third-party ears were that of Kyubei, who seemed to be composing him rather well as he listened to the conversation. Which meant that Shinju couldn't spare him.

"Even Kyubei does, right?" she remarked sweetly, earning a choked cough from the man who hadn't expected himself to be weaved into the conversation.

"Ah, rightly so, Shinju," the man quickly composed himself with a simple smile, playing along perfectly with Shinju's heist. There was no trace of the earlier surprise left, only perfect composure. A terrifying observation, Shinju noted.

"And I'm quite capable of protecting myself, ask Mitsuhide, he got to experience it after trying to walk in on me," Shinju couldn't help but add in, zealous in her pursuit to defend her own abilities for once. Just because she didn't strike to harm or to kill didn't mean that she was defenseless.

Though, Shinju did conveniently leave out the fact that the bowl hadn't spilled a drop. A fact that still infuriated her ever so slightly.

However, the light mood that had been created quickly dissipated when the maids came in. The kunoichi immediately tensed up as Asuga slid back into her usual role, a mask sliding over her expression.

Shinju could only lament the loss of the energy before, feeling herself also slide back into the role she had taken on before.

After breakfast the group was ready to depart, Kyubei insisting to tag along so that he could lead the way.

"It is only proper, and I'm heading that way anyway," the man had claimed, a package in arms of which Shinju could only guess its contents.

---

Meanwhile Azuchi castle was brimming as the warlords arrived. There was a notable absence, however, though it was rarely noted upon.

"Strange that we are to meet a Maeda woman, but neither the head or the cousin are present," Mitsunari spoke, a smile ever so apparent on his face. Had he been of a more suspicious personality his sharp intellect would have picked out more than just the oddity.

However, it was neither he or his lord, Hideyoshi who took note of it.

"Those two have always done whatever they want, it doesn't surprise me one bit," the male grumphed, a frown setting between his brows. "They could at least have sent word to us, however," Hideyoshi lamented.
But even that was too much to ask for from both.

"She doesn't look like a regular Maeda anyway," Ieyasu scoffed, his eyes rolling as he joined the duo. "Which suits me just fine," he added afterwards, not wanting to be mistaken to actually like the aforementioned men.

Mitsunari saw it differently, however, drawing a gasp of excitement. "Has Lord Ieyasu taken a liking to the lady? I thought she was very sweet as well," he grins broadly and the blond could only sigh deeper in response, the never-ending misunderstandings already starting when they had barely begun.

"No, that is not what I--"

"There they are!" Mitsunari had already moved on, pointing towards the gate through which a peculiar three walked through.

"At least Mitsuhide was so decent to leave his vassal with them," Hideyoshi sighed, though he had a feeling that it was more coincidental than anything.

"I'm heading to the councilroom," Ieyasu grunted, escaping the crowd as he turned away sharply.

---

The surprise on Shinju's face was evident when Hideyoshi and Mitsunari greeted the group at the gates, not having expected them to welcome her so warmly.

The Maeda's influence was considerable, even more so than the records made them out to be, she noted.
"Good to see you have arrived safely," Hideyoshi smiled, a dazzling one that had Shinju wonder just what sort of an actor he was.

"It was a short distance," she responded coolly after a slight bow, acknowledging both warlords. Raising up her head she wondered if everyone arrived already, a wave of anxiety washing over her at the thought of having to meet either Toshiie or Keiji.

"Still, I wished that Mitsuhide had the decency to send out a norimono instead. He really has no shred of decen---"

In the middle of Hideyoshi's complaints a loud voice interrupted, boisterous and cheerful, coming from behind the trio.

"Ah, Hideyoshi, I have not missed your mothering. Who is the victim this time?"

Startled at the sudden approach Shinju turned around to face a flamboyant man, his red hair even wilder and bolder than the colours he wore as he approached the group.

"I'm not late, I hope? I heard from the rumours that my sister, cousin, or daughter has arrived in Azuchi," the man spoke as he eyed both Asuga and Shinju, carefully examining the both through casual glances.

"I don't think either of them are young enough to be my daughter, so that one is out. And I can't imagine my uncle ever daring himself to frolic around with aunt Matsu as his wife," Keiji jested, no shame in listing all of the rumours that had been going around, one crazier than the other.

"Lord Keiji, you have arrived!" Mitsunari exclaimed happily, while at the same time Hideyoshi's expression pulled taut before relaxing.

"Keiji, why didn't you send word ahead?" the man immediately launched into a new set of complaints as he approached the man. "And what do you mean 'either'? Don't you recognise your own cousin?"

Pointing at Shinju, Hideyoshi was too worked up to notice or realise the implications of the situation and address. A fact that everyone let slide as the redhead simply eyed Shinju.

"Huh, I guess I didn't recognise her. A bit plain for a Maeda, aren't ya?" the man spoke nonchalantly to her, using a casual and nearly impolite tone.

Shinju could only flush at that statement.

Nothing in her training and her studies had ever prepared her for the fact that her ancestor was such an overbearing and extravagant man. It was a thought that positively chilled her as she realised the grave error she had made in this gamble.

• Creative
The rest of the breakfast went by easy with casual banter and mostly Shinju talking. She still didn't like to call her by her first name when anyone else was around. It was nothing proper for a simple guard to do. Maybe her companion still needed to learn some of the manners in this time, it seemed. However Asuga found herself slowly growing attached to the younger woman and she wanted to protect her at least while they were in Azuchi. Shinju had a lot to learn still and she would help her as best as she could, though Asuga was a Kunoichi, a shadow. She wasn't one for fancy fighting styles. Her focus was on survival.

While her thoughts were wandering, she followed Kyubei and Shinju over to the castle. A feeling of unease settled into her spine. This was the domain of her enemy, the man who was to blame for everything. She knew it would be hard to keep her emotions and anger under control and keep it to a simple glare. As it would be, Asuga was able to practice her signature stare already because Hideyoshi and Mitsunari welcomed the three of them at the castle gates. Her hand instantly wandered to the grip of her Katana.

Hideyoshi's ranting was going already on her nerves. How could anyone live with this man? If she would be a resident of Azuchi castle, she would have stabbed him three times already in the last minute after he opened his mouth. Her thoughts however were soon interrupted by a cheerful presence. A tall man with wild red hair and even wilder clothing approached them, acting like he owned the place. He was identified as Keiji Maeda. Looked like Shinju would meet at least one of her relatives now. And what a guy he was. Asuga had a hard time keeping her smile under control when he casually started teasing her companion for being so plain looking. Maybe they should do something about that in the near future.
By Shinju's reaction Asuga figured she wasn't expecting someone like Keiji. The Kunoichi personally thought it was rather refreshing and funny. There should be more people like him in the Sengoku, maybe they would stop going to war and just solve their problems via drinking battles.. Something like that.

But soon she returned to her grim stare when Hideyoshi told them to go to the audience hall, not keeping Lord Bitch Face waiting. Asuga allowed herself to trail a bit behind, keeping a watchful eye on all the Warlords surrounding the other woman. One wrong move and her Katana was ready to intervene, like she had done with Masamune. Speaking of… Where was Masamune? He was literally the only one whose presence she could stand without wanting to straight up murder everyone. He was something else, felt a bit like a kindred spirit. Shame he wasn't present. Maybe then the others wouldn't have so much a stick up their asses….

Once they entered the hall Asuga's eyes fell on Nobunaga, who was waiting patiently for them to get to their spots. She remained behind Shinju, back to the wall, ready to protect whenever needed. Her amber eyes were focussed on the object of her anger and hatred. Would it cause a lot of ruckus if she just charged forward and shoved her blade through his throat? She could be 1582 for each of them and end the Sengoku period sooner than later. Sounded rather pleasant, didn't it? But no… she wouldn't put Shinju at risk. Her own life mattered little. With Shingen and the Takeda gone, her only goal was it to help her survive in this brutal world. Taking a deep, but quiet breath, Asuga waited for the talks to start.

• Spicy