Moth to a Flame

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Somewhere Shinju wondered just how much coin the kunoichi were given to support their lifestyle. The answer seemed to be quite large, for Shinji was pretty sure that she wouldn't have been able to afford this room with her own resources.

And then Asuga mentioned that they were able to afford more clothes as well. Mostly for her, to keep up their farce. An uncomfortable thought.

"Luxurious," the female commented dryly, impressed by the vast wealth of the recently fallen warlord. Of course Shingen had an impressive treasury, but to even afford to support his kunoichi in the same wealth? That surprised her.

Though, it did give an indication of what she was to expect from her own clan. The Maeda, though still not near the power they were to attain in a few more decades, was considered to be nobility themselves, with lands and castles of their own. Shinju would have to adjust herself and get used to being surrounded by such lavishness if she wanted to pass off as one of them.
A troubling thought, for she was used to a sober lifestyle. It kept the mind in balance with the ego and body. It forged the discipline from which she had gained everything from.

Absentmindedly, Shinju reached for her waist, looking for the familiar tag that up until recently had only been an overly fancy souvenir. She had attached it to the waistband, hoping that it would be secure there, but when she noticed that the fabrics there were a little messed up the female paled.

No rectangular tag on which her name was engraved, accompanied with the Maeda clan symbol. No familiar plum blossom that represented the main branch, or that proudly announced her identity to all. No lacquered bamboo wood, with high quality threads attached at the end so that she could bind it.

'That woman,' Shinju realised, knowing that it was she who had been tricked rather than the other way around. Her first Sengoku hustle, and she was the one who got hustled instead. Shinju felt herself flush at the thought, grateful that she was alone for now.
When Asuga returned with the sake and medicine Shinju had grown awfully pale, her expression stark as her fist clenched, nails digging in painfully as she willed herself to convey the story as calmly as possible.

"I lost the crest," she admitted after a long silence, her voice clipped, though unable to hide the slight distress she experienced as her voice pitched ever so lightly, giving her away. "It might have fallen out, likely stolen. In any case, we have lost our only evidence and our key for shelter here," she continued, trying to bring across the failure as evenly and clinically as possible.

Though, within she was in quite a distress, her chest cramping up as she willed herself to breath. Suddenly feeling like she was being suffocated Shinju ran her fingers through her hair again, her mind whirring on what to do.

"I'm so sorry," Shinju spoke, her voice barely even a whisper as she lowered her head onto the table.

"I will fix it, just give me a moment," she continued on the same thread, her voice strained and her confidence sinking. Pushing herself up Shinju heaved a deep breath before eyeing Asuga firmly.

"If I just retrace my steps I'm sure I can find it again, if not maybe that someone found it," Shinju continued to ramble, trying to regain her confidence as she fed herself some optimistic thoughts.
Though, she knew that anyone who saw the tag would recognise the value it held, not to mention that identity theft was easier done in this era than in her own time. The possibilities and the value of what was once a near meaningless present had increased by more than a tenfold and Shinju was growing nauseous by the thought of it alone.

The female was already up on her feet to reach for the door, eager to locate her tag as soon as possible as she prayed for it to be on the ground somewhere, still unnoticed.

• OMG
Reactions: ShakenVeil
Asuga

Asuga couldn't help but flinch at Shinju's confession. That was indeed bad. Though she thought that the crest of the Maeda was more likely stolen than lost. The people in town looked all very happy but theft was more common than not, especially when someone was dressed as fancy as she was. The Kunoichi took a deep breath, put down the Sake bottle on the side and walked over to her. "First you need to take a deep breath and calm down. Things like this happen all the time in the Sengoku. We will get your crest back, alright?" She gave her a soft smile and waited for her to open the door so they could head out.

"We haven't gone far so there shouldn't be too many options where it could have gone if you indeed lost it." Asuga gave the owner of the inn a short nod, before stepping outside, hand always resting on the grip of her Katana. She did her best to push the simple fact of their lives depending on this little token into the back of her mind. If they couldn't find it now, she could still use her normal skillset to trace it back. Asuga would be Shinju's shadow again, walking by her side with a grim expression fit for a guard.

So far from what she had seen on the main street there was no sign of the crest just laying on the ground or somewhere in the corner. The people were going about their day normally again and the atmosphere was busy, but relaxed. It did nothing to put her mind at ease, but better like this than when the townsfolk was careful themselves and would instantly notice their odd behaviour.

Mitsuhide

Finishing the last bunch of letters, putting them all into a neat pile on his desk, Mitsuhide got up and stretched his limbs. His eyes fell on the Maeda crest. He picked it up and gave it a closer look. There was a name stitched on it. The materials were very expensive and of high quality. A small frown appeared on his forehead when he examined the writing a bit closer. Strange.. It said 'Shinju Maeda'.. But it looked almost like..some sort of written dialect? The spelling seemed a bit off. This was just getting more and more interesting. Identity theft? Or a far off family branch? Unlikely, from what he noticed about the crest.

Maybe it was time to pay the owner of this token a little visit.

He left his manor without leaving further instructions for his staff and strolled out onto the streets of Azuchi. His signature smile on his lips he made his way towards the main street leading down to the marketplace. There were so many out and about. It was very nice to to see, for him at least. Nobody was starving, the guards didn't act like brainless brutes.. It could be such a wonderful day, if it weren't for his suspicions of the two women not far away from him now.

Kyubei had given him the basic information he needed to make his own image of the situation. They were looking for something, trying to be subtle but if one would pay closer attention to their behavior… He leaned against a wall, arms crossed above his chest and a smirk on his lips. He would let them search a little longer. This was too amusing to pass up.
He stood there for a good amount of time and just as it seemed they were about to give up, exchanging a few quiet words, Mitsuhide pushed himself away from the wall and approached them casually, the crest in his hand. "Pardon me.", he spoke up. "You look like you lost something, hmm? You really don't look like a Maeda at all, I must say." His foxlike smile would look charming to someone on the outside but there was a threat in his eyes. "Whatever shall we do now?"

• Spicy
Reactions: Nemopedia
The dire and desperate circumstances in which the people lived. Shinju had underestimated how crafty that made people, presumptuous as she was, that the elder loved to speak of their experience with the young. When Asuga came to reassure her Shinju felt even sillier, for losing her guard, for losing the crest, but also her cool.

She was being unlike herself. Losing her calm so soon, fretting. The female blamed the fact that she was still adjusting to the era, had survived her first war, and then there was the weeklong ride she had just survived on the horse. She just needed a moment to ground herself, something to process her first week in the past.

There was indeed no crest to speak of on the ground and Shinju felt her heart sink as she tried to maintain her gait and composure. She couldn't lose her cool again, not in public, not when she was supposed to act the lady. Though, somewhere in the back of her mind she was still fretting as her eyes went over the wares spread out by the merchants, hoping that perhaps it was being sold as a product, it was valuable after all.

"Pardon me."

A deep voice spoke and Shinju mindlessly took a step to the side to make room for the man. It was a common phrase after all in the busy city of Kyoto, where the crowds were large and the people busy trying to snake past each other and moving on with their lives. She hadn't really thought about it, other than a slight noted annoyance that the man was much too close to her for her liking.

That was Shinju's entire intention here in this case as well, move aside and move on with her search, forgetting about the man that smelled like incense and that had addressed her in amusion. She wasn't one to question someone's bad habits, or definition of personal space. Shinju would have forgotten all about it wasn't it for the next words that followed.

Whipping her head around her eyes grew wide as she realised just who had approached her so casually, her breath drawing back into her lungs as she tried to compose herself in front of the one and only traitor; Mitsuhide Akechi.

"What makes you say that?" Shinju spoke after a short silence, quickly collecting her thoughts and wits as she stood tall, her eyes shifting to the side to seek out Asuga's figure. She hadn't expected to run into a warlord so soon, especially not a trusted hand of Nobunaga, or a famed traitor.

Shinju wasn't one to be intimidated by the appearance of another, or quickly charmed. However, knowing what she did from her history lessons, knowing what Mitsuhide Akechi was known for, accompanied with what Asuga had divulged in their travels as a cautionary tale against the male. It was needless to say that for once Shinju felt inadequate, and wholly unprepared for the encounter. Anxiety struck as she peered into those conniving golden eyes of his, down to his hand in which he held her crest.

Had the elder been a spy of his? Or had he somehow managed to get his hands on the crest in another way? Shinju couldn't tell, but she didn't want to stare for too long, her eyes returning to the ever-smiling face of the trickiest man of the era.

"It appears," she spoke slowly, hoping that her voice wasn't too strained and her act not too awkward, "that you have something of mine," she calmly said, taking a step back Shinju tried to gain more distance between her and the man, but also to gain control of the conversation, straightening her shoulders along the way as she tilted her chin up ever so lightly. A trick she had learnt in the many negotiations she had attended in preparation to her role as heiress. Whether they would work here was to be seen, but it was worth the try.

"I did not expect to be recognised so soon, or at all. You are an informed man, lord Akechi," the female relented, forcing a smile on her own features as she forced herself to maintain eye-contact coolly. Though, hidden in her sleeves her fists were shaking, clenching as nails dug into the palm of her hands.

• OMG
Asuga

Asuga stuck to the shadows. It was where she belonged and where her work carried her. Being out in the open like this, even in disguise, was uncomfortable for her. She felt too exposed, too vulnerable. Irritated, she looked around once more for the lost object, but couldn't find it. Soon she would call off the search and then they could think about what else to do. Eventually she felt eyes on her and turned back towards Shinju. Amber eyes widened slightly once she noticed who was with her companion. Mitsuhide Akechi had casually approached her and pretty much dangled her crest right in front of her eyes.

Hatred flared up again inside her heart. A furious storm she couldn't contain. The Kunoichi looked around for a way up to the roofs. Maybe if she was quick enough she could use Shinju as a distraction, get on top of one of the houses and just end Akechi's life here and there from above. Did they really need him for 1582? They surely could replace him, right? Asuga's thoughts were running wild with bitter anger. Her glare was back, as she started moving towards Shinju, stopping by her side with a death stare directed at him.

It was all she could do to not directly give them away. Her hand was resting on her Katana, ready to strike him if he would try anything. Not that he would. Mitsuhide was too smart to start trouble in the middle of a street. But how on earth was he able to get his hands on Shinju's crest? Most of all that quickly.

Her companion, though having a hard time, tried her best to keep face. She did well considering she had no idea about this time period. Asuga just hoped it was enough..

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide had to admire her resolve at least somewhat. She didn't shake in fear while looking at him, trying to keep the image of a noble lady up in front of him. Brave little girl. There was smug smile on his lips as he took another look at the Maeda crest in his hands. "Why, you don't carry yourself like someone from the main branch of the Maeda clan at all." She was definitely an imposter. This crest had to be fake. How amusing.

"I am just very observant." His eyes wandered to the shadow standing behind the young woman, glaring at him, Someone wanted him certainly dead. Mitsuhide wondered what the story was behind these two curious girls. He would clearly check their background, though not expecting to find anything, at least on the Maeda's angry guard, who was clearly from the west. Their presence left too many unknown possibilities and Mitsuhide didn't like being left in the dark. "My, where are my manners? Someone from an important clan like yours shouldn't be wandering the streets and staying in a little inn. Why don't you follow me to my residence and we should have settled you there until you can see Lord Nobunaga to state your business here, hm?", he said, letting that little bit of information about the inn slip on purpose.

He had to keep an eye on them.. for now. Kyubei would certainly be willing to guard these two 'lovely' ladies, while he could see what to find out about their past. The amber glare of the Maeda guard drilled into his very soul, what an intense stare that was. Mitsuhide didn't even bother to hold back the chuckle in his throat. He turned his golden gaze towards the other woman, who claimed to be noble. "Well then, milady Maeda. Shall we?"
He made sure that his smile was in place, his expression gentle but there was a silent threat in his eyes. If they would cause him any trouble he would bring them trouble… and they wouldn't want that.

• Spicy
Shinju Maeda

Shinju couldn't determine what annoyed her more. The smugness of his expression, confident that he knew all and had guessed all, or the entire dismissal of her favourite ancestor to date; Matsu Maeda.

This annoyance only grew as Mitsuhide spared no chance to make clear that he knew all about their activity within Azuchi. Whoever the man had working for him, whatever network he had pulled, whether the old woman had belonged to it or not, it was a terrifyingly efficient one. All the more as he didn't seem to be any surprised at Asuga's presence behind her, the fox-like grin seemingly splitting wider.

"Had lord Akechi expected me to be slight, demure and meek?" Shinju couldn't help herself, feeling every bit justified in her own pettiness. The smile plastered across her face seemed to mimic Mitsuhide's now, though not nearly as cunning, but every bit of fake. "If you had hoped for me to be without an opinion so to speak, I must disappoint you," she continued, as she lifted her arm, the palm of her hand face upwards as she waited for her crest to return.

"I'm afraid I take after my aunt, Lady Matsu." It never failed to delight Shinju to mention her favourite ancestor, admired as the woman was in private, "Though, admittedly, I don't hold a candle against her in terms of poise and grace."

She had said this almost cheerfully, though, back in her own world a cheerful Shinju always stood equal to a tempestuous one, and Shinju knew that she had to carefully keep herself under wraps, lest a misstep was easily made.

"Shinju, but I gather you had already figured such from my tag." She stressed the fact that it was her possession that Mitsuhide was holding up and dangling in front of her, taunting her and doing so successfully so as well.

"Behind me is Asuga, my guard. She likes to glare," was her ending note.

She was very much done with the day and everyone.

Ranmaru Mori

In the stealth of the night Ranmaru had received a distressing note, one that once more split his loyalties apart, as it always did when master Kennyo reached out to him.

The abbot never asked for much, not wanting to distress the young man who had already so much on his shoulders. A shame, for Ranmaru was eager to work for the man who had shown him all of the kindness he was born without. It stood exemplary of his character and so the note with its request was a much treasured one, once more proof of the praiseworthiness of Kennyo's character.

What Ranmaru had not expected, or should have expected, but hadn't anticipated, was that Mitsuhide had taken interest in his task as well. A dangerous fellow and Ranmaru could only worry for what this could mean for both women that Kennyo had asked of him to watch over.

"How unfortunate," he pouted to himself, but quickly skipped out of sight when he realised that there was nothing he could do for either. Nothing else but to report back to his master to inform him of the failure to keep them secure.

• OMG
Mitsuhide

"I haven't expected anything, dear lady Maeda, since I'm wasn't aware of your existence but you have taught me an important lesson, so for this I shall thank you." He gave her a short bow, clearly a mocking gesture. "Lady Matsu is a deeply respect woman, so you shall count yourself lucky if you did take after her." He smirked once more, not at all phased by her words, turned halfway and looking at her in question. He secretly hoped the two women would come along without making much of a fuss, it would only cause him and them unnecessary trouble.

"If you would follow me then. And we can discuss the return of your.. Token." With another fake smile, he gestured down the street, guiding the two women away from the business of Azuchi castle town and further away into a more quiet district. The Akechi residence was fairly secluded, unlike the other manors of his fellow warlords. He rather despised to be the center of attention.

Upon reaching his home in Azuchi, he ordered the maids to prepare a room for the two ladies. Originally he wanted two, but it seemed that Shinju's guard refused to leave her out of her sight. He could live with it. Not that it changed anything about the subject at hand. He would refuse to hand the crest back to the Maeda before receiving some answers.
"I will send my most trusted vassal out to retrieve your belongings from the inn. You may make yourself comfortable in the gardens and then we will have a nice conversation." He smiled, almost gently. "I'm so glad you agree.", without waiting for their answer. He gestured towards an open screen which let into a wonderfully decorated area of green, surrounded by a rather high wall. A shadow moving in the corner of his eye had him turn slightly. Behind the two women stood Kyubei, as always ready to heed his orders. "If you would be so kind, Kyubei, and bring the lady's belongings here? They will stay with us for a few days."

Without another word, just a short bow, off he went. Mitsuhide now entered the gardens. "So… about your little trinket here.. Is there anything you wish to tell me?"

Asuga

The whole time on their way to Mitsuhide's manor, Asuga was deadly silent. She only watched the behavior of the other two carefully. They were in huge trouble and she knew. Once Akechi was after them, their problems would grow immensely. If they hadn't already. She already knew how this would go, being well aware of of this line of work. He would check their stories and backgrounds. Of course he would find nothing because they basically didn't belong into this time period. He would either rat them out to be executed or use them for his own gains.

Asuga couldn't think of any other way this could possibly go.

While she was too busy being furious at Akechi, she had to admit that his manor was a beautiful place. If she could have seen it under other circumstances, she might actually had the nerve to admire it and not wanting to murder it's owner. While Mitsuhide guided them into the gardens, Asuga always stood by Shinju's side, thankful for still carrying her sword though she couldn't know for how long. If they were to be hold prisoner here… Guests, if one could believe Mitsuhide, which nobody should ever do.

She returned to her silent stares...watching the scene play out in front of her eyes.

• Spicy
Of course Mitsuhide had no intention of playing along with her childish wiles. Rather, he seemed almost to scoff at her for trying, mocking her all the while as he teased her temper all the more. Presumptuous from her side, really to believe she could be equal to the Mitsuhide Akechi. Narrowing her eyes at the man Shinju glanced over at Asuga before following after the other man, her head held up high as she did so.

'1582, 1582,' Shinju told herself as she stared at the back of the treacherous lord. A few more years and then all her troubles would be over. A few more years, though it sounded easy Shinju knew it was far from it. Their lives at the very moment, hanging by a thread and at his mercy.

The tandem continued within the Akechi manor, the familiar bellflower crest printed and standing proudly, that was the Akechi crest, while the interior decorations were simple, but fine. It said everything about his character, which was nothing at all, and Shinju came to see how the man managed to die so elusively. Mitsuhide was now within his own terrain, never easing up in the leas he was taking, another conniving smile gracing his otherwise handsome features.

"Such hospitality, Lord Akechi," Shinju managed to grimace as Kyubei appeared, refraining the need to roll her eyes at the lack of choice Mitsuhide gave them. It really did seem that the man was planning on giving them no leeway whatsoever, and that only showed all the more how he was not planning on letting them go.

Hostages, already. Sucking in a breath the female wondered if they would have fared better if they had listened to Kennyo, though it was far too late now to turn back.

Next was the garden, and while everything looked very impressive and well-maintained Shinju couldn't keep her eyes off the person, her brows furrowing as she stopped in front of Mitsuhide. Once more her tag dangled in front of her, teasingly so as the man tried to taunt out answers that didn't exist, yet.
"My tag?" Shinju feigned innocence as she reached out for the item. She would find that Mitsuhide had no intention in giving it, however, always sure to keep it just out of reach.

"What else do I have to share that my crest hasn't?"

Giving up the female decided to dust herself off instead, a careful answer formulating within her head as she eyed the man. "Ah, perhaps my sudden appearance here without much else than a single guard?" Shinju spoke up, eyes turning to Asuga. Falling quiet for a few moments Shinju then turned back to Mitsuhide, a weary sigh escaping her.

"I wasn't aware that we would be interrogated so soon. My journey has been long, my day even more so, shouldn't a guest be granted some adequate rest?" Shinju questioned, and she found that she didn't have to act much for it. She was beyond exhausted, and that showed in every move she made. She just hoped that Mitsuhide could sympathise, lest Shinju feared that she would have to test her theatrical skills by fainting.

"You can keep my identity tag hostage until then, if it eases your mind," Shinju offered, though the thought of leaving it with Mitsuhide was not a comforting one at all for herself. Alas, sacrifices had to be made and Shinju had to buy time before Mitsuhide managed to find out too much.

• OMG
Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide watched her every move, expression or look she gave him or her surroundings. It told him enough already, though he still needed to confirm his informations. She was too unsure of herself, which for someone of her supposedly stand shouldn't be happening. The simple explanation she offered him wasn't enough by any means. It might have fooled someone narrow minded like Mitsunari or even Hideyoshi, but everyone with a bit of common sense would see right their through this little girl's game. It was greatly amusing.

"My apologies, little lady. But you must understand that for someone on the outside and well acquainted with the rest of your clan, a foreign member suddenly appearing out of nowhere does seem a bit.. surprising." He smiled at her, tilting his head a little bit to the side, citrine eyes narrowing playfully. He nodded towards the way back into the manor again. Did he have to torment these two girls for his information and keep them at his manor, while it would be enough to actually just have Kyubei watch over them as they were in town? Surely not. Did he do it because he found it entertaining? Indeed.

"Nobody shall interrogate you. For now at least. I will keep your crest safe with me until we have a clarification about the situation. I'm very sorry." He was not sorry. "Kyubei will bring your belongings soon enough. I will get the maids to show you to your room."

And so he did. Two of his maids showed them to their room under his watchful eyes. It was right across the corridor from his own, so he would hear if something was up. The walls in the Akechi residence had ears. Once the screen slid shut, his expression fell into a neutral, empty one. It was time for him to get to work..

Asuga

Asuga's amber eyes followed the screen as it slid shut and they were finally left alone, somewhat. She was silent and looked around in the room. It was sure big enough for two people, with two futons and plenty of space to store their items. It wasn't too bad, though the privacy was zero, of course. She was worried to have to keep her act up even behind closed doors. A deep mental exhaustion settled in her mind, but Asuga wouldn't allow it to take over. She couldn't.

She looked at Shinju, who clearly seemed more tired than her. Of course, she was used to short nights, long travels, fights and spy work. Years of training under Chiyome and the Takeda had turned her form a soft artist into a deadly weapon. She was nothing like the girl from 2010, blood sticking to her hands that could never be washed off. One might thought that Asuga regretted it, but she didn't. At least not until now.

"You should get rest. Don't worry.. I'll be here keeping watch." Despite her heavy heart from the returning, dark thoughts, she smiled softly at the other woman and sat down on the other side of the room, hand on her weapon, back against the thin wall. Shinju would need all her patience and strength to get through the next couple of days and then..maybe.. if they were lucky.. Things would get easier.. Oh, or so much worse. They would get through it. If not, Asuga could still just murder them all ahead of time.. Somehow.
She fell silent again, her thoughts wandering off to Kai and it's lush fields, beautiful forests and high mountains. The smell of the grass after the long rain or the bright sunshine on a summer morning. Asuga missed her home already and she had only been gone for a few days.. It would be so much longer until she could see it again.. With a deep sigh, her eyes were trained on the sliding screen that led to the corridor, always watching.

• Spicy
Shinju Maeda

She was being toyed with and there seemed no end coming in sight. Nearly, nearly Shinju considered the option of just dropping down to the ground, of giving into her own fatigue and anguish and let go of everything. But she thought better of it, knowing that it was too early to give up now, that she just needed a solid story.

There was just so much going on and all beyond her control.

She didn't answer the man anymore as Mitsuhide continued to speak, talking all the while as he led them around. Meaningless words following after each other one by one, an unfelt apology following. It had only been so long and already Shinju was longing for something she could never get in this era; honesty and geniality.

"Good luck, Lord Akechi," Shinju managed to get out just before the man left, though her eyes weren't upon him for once as she took a seat on one of the pillows on the floor. And strangely enough the female meant it. To find intelligence on someone that didn't exist yet. It would be a common thing in this era, Shinju supposed. Most women from the Sengoku had no recorded name in her time, lost to time and memory even if they were the wives of important men. She would just be another one, forgotten and of no one's business.

When they were left alone Shinju turned her eyes upon Asuga, her head shaking as she motioned for the kunoichi to come over and sit down with her.

"I think we should talk," she spoke up, carefully wording herself, unsure and tense as she was about the condition of the walls and the people around. Suspicion arose within her as she let go of a sigh.

"I'm just overwhelmed, travel does that," she continued wearily, though both Asuga and she knew she wasn't referring to the week-long horse ride she had been through. That only sapped her physical energies, which Shinju was dealing with well enough.
Rolling her shoulders Shinju recalled her own promise from the first night, her eyes turning up to the kunoichi once more as she tried to look for any tremors like the kunoichi had shown after the fight.

"How are you? No aches?" the female questioned. "I'm a licensed medical practitioner, though only a physiotherapist," Shinju chuckled, a condescending scoff at herself. "Which means I'm great with massages," she joked around, another chuckle escaping her.

"Probably would be easier to start a new life as a doctor of sorts," she mused, this time a genuine smile crossed her lips as she thought of the missed opportunity she had for a more peaceful time in an era of war. Though her exact function wasn't known in this era, the skills she had earned through her study could help her plenty to start up a decent office. Alas, she hadn't thought of her profession until now, when they could be employed.

Ranmaru & Kennyo

Intelligence gathering was a time-consuming job. Questioning people, digging through records, catching mail exchanges, and nosing down into business that wouldn't matter on a normal day. Ranmaru knew the gist and he knew that this was where he had the advantage, having a direct line to report to and a plan.

"Whether she is a true Maeda or not, we could work this to our advantage," Kennyo had said, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly as he fell into thought. He wasn't fond of using these women as his pawns, but distracting Mitsuhide with their presence could lay off the fire from him. A fact that the abbot wasn't afraid to use for his own.

"Spread out rumours that a Maeda lady is residing in Azuchi. One closely related to the main branch, but kept hidden from the public so far for reasons unknown," he continued, his mind churning out a plausible story without having to interfere with the lies that were already spurned.

"Or rather, make up as many stories as you can, but keep one fact clear; it is a Maeda lady with a foreign guard." Kennyo decided, a dark grin appearing on his face.

The Sengoku era was not familiar yet with the literary term of a 'red herring', but it was certainly not to Kennyo's invention. It was simply a battle of wits, and with that Ranmaru was sent on his way again along with the rest of the men, each carrying a story of their own, but at the very core kept the same.

• OMG
Asuga

Asuga's amber eyes looked at Shinju a bit passive. She was lost in her own thoughts for a moment before she registered the other even talking to her. Too focussed on her mission to even recognize a voice. She listened to her eventually, putting together what she told her. The Kunoichi took a moment to answer, her shoulders tense, like she was ready to jump to her feet. "You need to rest. What's done is done. We can't change our decisions anymore and now we will live with them and make out of what we can." She paused. "I'm alright. I don't need anything."

Regretting their choices wouldn't help them. Of course it would have been easier maybe with this information to settle somewhere in a small village and offering Shinju's services as a doctor and healer. Asuga, however, had not much use anymore outside of the battlefield. Her hands hadn't held a brush in years. She had to leave her guitar back in Tsutsujigasaki, her only connection to who she had been before all this. But Nevia, the girl with a bright smile, clear laughter, a bright heart and so much talent was dead now. 'Missing' in the present day for almost ten years now, turned murderer in a time where she didn't belong.

"Rest. We talk more later.", was all she had to say in the end to Shinju's words. They couldn't talk too much. Someone would notice and that would cause them even more trouble. All they should be doing right now was damage control.

Mitsuhide, four days later

This was really frustrating and Mitsuhide found something rarely frustrating. The rumors going around in Azuchi only fueled his search for the identity of this mysterious Maeda spawn. His best guess, that she was the illegitimate child of a concubine, never introduced officially and just living her life outside of the noble bloodline. Rumors talked about her coming from abroad, travelling and this is how she acquired her guard.. Then there were other stories about her health. He didn't have a leak in this network, Mitsuhide very well know that.

Someone from the outside was informed about the presence of the two women as well and he would find out who that was soon enough and possibly get rid of them as soon as he could. Maybe there were some more information to gather when this person's broken and tormented body hit the ground and they were begging for their lives. This was becoming a problem, but Mitsuhide was, if nothing else, a problem solver. How very entertaining these two little mysteries turned out to be. A challenge from an unexpected source. A smile appeared on his lips, while his eyes flew over another letter which had come into his manor earlier in the day, claiming more of the stories going around.

"Keiji's child? Do these people even have eyes? They are almost the same age." Amused he chuckled and put it away. Just as he did so, heavy footsteps, several of them, moved along the corridor. Mitsuhide knew what that meant..visitors.. He sighed and got up from his desk just in time for the screen to his room to be forced open.
"You're keepin' two ladies in your manor and don't even let us say hello? Come on, Mitsuhide. Where are they?", Masamune stepped into his room without even asking a hint of permission to do so, but he didn't expect anything else from the man.

"Outside in the garden. The little lady wished to exercise with her guard." He walked by Masamune, not having much of a choice if he wanted to have some peace anytime today. Behind Masamune he found Ieyasu, Mitsunari and Hideyoshi. Of course.. Ieyasu and Hideyoshi would show up because of their connection to the Maeda at least and where these two went, Mitsunari was never far away. Mitsuhide put on his typical, fake smile and greeted them, showing them to the gardens where the two girls were training right now. He had observed them curiously over the course of the past days. Shinju knew how to fight, but it looked more like an amusement to her than actually having the intend to harm her opponent, which her guard seemed to be trying to teach her. Far too gently, if someone would ask him.

"Miladies, we have guests.", he announced himself..and the others.. loud enough for them to hear, just as Asuga blocked a strike from Shinju.

• Spicy
In the days that followed Shinju made a few notable observations.

The first things were related to the host and his shadow; where Kyubei was scarily efficient in everything he did, it was Mitsuhide who was a true force to be reckoned with, easily stringing along multiple operations at once. It was no wonder that this man went down with few records to speak of his character, but everything about his actions.

It made the Akechi manor the last place that she should find herself at, yet also the best place to hide at.

The following observations were about her 'guard' Asuga, her peer from the future. Shinju always had liked to think of herself as well-trained and well-prepared to be dropped into the Sengoku era. After all, her family grew their fortune by upholding old traditions. However, it was the most unlikely figure that taught her wrong. She had the endurance build, but not the strength, or the instincts, and that made her wonder how Asuga had managed to survive for so long.

A question that still remained between the two of them, as the kunoichi seemed more focussed on getting Shinju battle-ready and preparing them for whatever interrogation Mitsuhide was about to launch on them, than anything else.

"Miladies, we have guests."

Mitsuhide's voice rang through the garden, an act that happened ever so often as the man seemed to make a habit out of it to sneak up on them. Luckily neither Asuga or Shinju were discussing anything, Shinju's progress in cultivating anything akin to a killer's instinct being less than favourable.

Her attack blocked Shinju just leaped back to avoid the incoming attack from the kunoichi, her feet sidestepping in a short turn as she smoothly twirled herself into a bow towards the woman, a sign of respect and that she was ending the session. Habits she had picked up from the dojo.

At least Shinju was improving in her ability to evade, though she could tell that no one was actually impressed in her defensive skills.

"Lord Akechi," Shinju greeted the man, her address to the man awkward and tense. Their relationship hadn't much improved since the beginning of her stay, neither having given one another much leeway at all. In fact, Shinju could, with some certainty, claim that it had worsened since her arrival, though why she felt so she couldn't exactly place.

Upon the sight of the warlords following Shinju's body froze, glad for the sword in hands as she felt her fist clenching once more, this time only one hand was suffering the abuse of her nails. She wondered what had brought them all on to visit the Akechi manor. Rumours? Or something else? Perhaps even a test from the fox himself, though it seemed like a dangerous gamble instead, for it would have been easier to just feed the women to the big boss himself instead.

"Don't let my presence disturb you, I shall retreat so that you may have your vis--" Shinju was about to excuse herself, deciding that it was best to treat this as a friendly visit between friends, though she didn't see in Mitsuhide a man who got friendly with his colleagues.

That was, until Hideyoshi interrupted her, quick to speak up, "hold on, we are here for you." A frown on his face was apparent as he moved forward. Eyes flinching, Shinju shot Mitsuhide a questioning look before facing Hideyoshi once more, her expression concealed alongside her true opinion on the man.

She should have expected this much, Shinju realised. The friendship between Hideyoshi and Toshiie Maeda was one her family held in great regards, though the rivalry with the Tokugawa was also never forgotten; her grandparents always emphasised the fact how Ieyasu, also present, had never quite managed to beat Toshiie.

Not that it made her like either of them better, her body further tensing up at the warm smile Hideyoshi threw her direction.

"Just how have you been treating them, Mitsuhide?" the warlord scolded the other, his frown setting even deeper as he then broke out into another reassuring smile towards Shinju, a hand reaching out to give her a pat on the head. A familiar gesture that Shinju decided was too familiar for now, taking a step back to evade him.

"We came to see you as soon as we heard that there is a Maeda in town, though why Mitsuhide insisted on keeping you hidden here instead of bringing you to the castle is beyond me," the male explained, his expression shifting between one of confidence, to a frown and suspicion aimed at Mitsuhide, to affability again aimed at the female. A shift that wasn't lost on Shinju as she wondered just what the relationships between the warlords was like, or if this was all part of a cruel test.

"You should try introducing yourself, she looks like she has no clue of who you are," Ieyasu was quick to point out, a scowl on his face as he averted his eyes from the scenery. Looking like he wanted to be anywhere else than here, Ieyasu had his arms crossed as he kept a careful eye on both women.

"It is fine," Shinju quickly interrupted, the introductions of the old lady still clear in her mind. Not eager for another one Shinju forced a smile on her face, "I watched your return to Azuchi," she explained before eyeing Hideyoshi suspiciously, her personal opinion on the man clashing with the behaviour displayed now. "I was just surprised at the familiar gesture; it being our first time meeting, after all," Shinju continued as she tried to remain polite, her eyes falling over the rest of the warlords that hadn't spoken up yet.

"It is an honour to meet all of you, the lords may call me Shinju," she introduced herself, her hands clasping together, the sword she had used to train with earlier pointing down in a straight line as she bowed in respect.

To this Hideyoshi let go of another scowl, though it was still aimed at Mitsuhide as the man was by now convinced that both women were being bullied.

"No need to be shy, Shinju, we're all friends here. The same goes for your guard as well," he spoke easily as he gestured for Asuga.

Turning around Shinju eyed the woman, a slight nod exchanged between one another, relief washing over her face to the fact that she wasn't to face this alone, but also that she had made sure to update Asuga to her family ties to the other warlords to the best of her ability. That way at least they would have a clue in the treatment they were about to receive.

• OMG
Asuga stayed behind most of the conversation, watching from a safe distance as the Warlords started fussing over Shinju. Especially Hideyoshi. She felt the former anger coming back and her hands clenched around the wooden training sword. She was training with her companion just now, thankfully they weren't discussing anything. From her position she could see Mitsuhide slipping away into the shadows of his manor, away from everyone and away from attention. Strangely enough she could understand that..

She was there, reassuring Shinju whenever she needed her. That was her task and she wouldn't let it slip out of her sight. The way she was treated her still took her a bit aback. While living in the Sengoku she learned a lot of things about these men, mostly unpleasant ones. But their connections only mattered to her when she had to make use of them and then the network would have kept her informed.

"Now will you step aside and take a look at our two new guests." A man in blue with an eyepatch stepped forward, pushing away Ieyasu and Hideyoshi. Masamune Date, she had seen him before. He was a bit of a wildcard, something Asuga could appreciate. However he stepped up too close to Shinju, eyeing her. "You a Maeda, huh? And training? Might if I join in, lass?"

Yep, he was too close. Asuga grabbed her wooden sword and walked up to them with a death glare, pushing the wooden sword between his face, where he was leaning down to be eye to..eyes.. with Shinju, and her companion's. She nudged his forehead with the practice weapon and frowned deeply. "Keep your distance, Date." Her voice, usually gentle and kind was now sharp and threatening.

"Oh, well I guess she actually talks.", Ieyasu commented rather deadpan.

"Be careful with those weapons. You can get splinters from the wood.", Hideyoshi threw in.

But Masamune and Asuga were staring at each other. She didn't move a muscle or away from Shinju. If he would try something again she would beat him up. But he did exactly what she didn't expect. He started laughing, deep from his heart and it was so contagious that Asuga had a hard time containing not to smile and keeping her stern face.

"You going to fight me then? Instead of your Lady." , he asked her, showing the excitement of a little kid. Asuga refrained from shaking her head and retreated the sword from his face. There was a brief flash of disappointed, but the Kunoichi flipped the training weapon in her grasp and held the grip out to him. "Ha. That's what I'm talking about."

Asuga took Shinju's weapon and started circling Masamune.

..And so they started fighting, without paying attention to anyone around them, at least for Asuga. She was extremely fast and what Masamune had in physical strength, she made up in speed and agility. Hideyoshi's protests, Ieyasu's dismissive comments and Mitsunari's swooning over Ieyasu got drowned out by the clashing of wood.

He was sure he had one when he knocked the ending of the practice sword into her sides, but Asuga dropped herself down, swirled and used all her strength to kick him into the back of his knees. He stumbled, but the Kunoichi was already back on her feet and struck him with the grip ending of her weapon right in the chest, sending him tumbling backwards and landing on his ass. "Too slow.", was all she said and she shot Shinju a smirk, then throwing the sword she had been using back towards her to catch.

• Spicy
The one-eyed dragon of Oshu was as bold an individual as his historical records claimed him to be, wasting no time to step forward as he neared in on her. An uncomfortable space left between the two of them as a single blue eye peered into hers, a confident smile on his face, earning a near stumble back from Shinju who in reflex reared back.

"Easy Masamune," Hideyoshi scolded, but was beaten by Asuga who had already thrust her practice sword between the Shinju and the warlord as per a warning sign. It earned a gulp from Shinju, who was not looking forward to a possible showdown between kunoichi and warlord so soon. Masamune, however, seemed more excited, a shimmer in his eyes as he took it as a challenge.

"There is no-" Shinju was cut off in her words as Asuga pulled her sword from her hands, circling around the other, a glint in the kunoichi's eyes that rivalled the enthusiasm of the one-eyed dragon himself.

In all of the commotion it was easy to lose track of the warlords, but the silence of one particular man was notable. Used to hear his ever-sounding commentary Shinju's eyes were scoring down the row of men watching the fight and down the hallway, noting with a suspicion that the host of the manor had abandoned them.

Another game of his? Or was this a genuine wish to be alone? Shinju couldn't place the actions of Mitsuhide within context, but decided to let it slide as she returned her attention to the fight.

Just in time, it seemed as Asuga managed to strike Masamune down swiftly, as she confidently sauntered over to throw the sword back at Shinju. An act that surprised her a bit as she had to reach out fast to catch the item, her eyes a little bewildered before she smiled back at the kunoichi.

At least now the female didn't feel half as bad about being beaten constantly. If even Masamune Date had trouble standing his ground in front of Asuga.

"Befriending Asuga first thing upon meeting? My, Lord Date, count me envious," Shinju spoke teasingly, though her words were mostly aimed at her kunoichi who hadn't looked as carefree in any of the days spent here, or the week spent on the horses.

To this Hideyoshi made himself known again, a scowl on his face as he stepped forward towards the man and the guard.

"No throwing items! And what did I say about wooden swords? Argh, nevermind that, Masamune, don't go challenging people into a fight first thing."

The man had no clue where to start even with his scoldings, picking one, leaving the other unfinished as he turned around between kunoichi and warlord.

To this Shinju's smile dropped a little, her expression darkening lightly before she let go of a chuckle.
"Thank you for your sentiment, Lord Toyotomi," she started, silencing the man as she walked over to Asuga, standing next to her. "However, you shouldn't vex yourself so. If only to preserve your youthful looks and prevent a heart attack," she continued with a pleasant smile.

To this a scoff could be heard from Ieyasu, the blond quickly covering himself up stoically before Mitsunari joined in with a bright smile of his own, a cheerful exclamation escaping his lips that Shinju wasn't sure whether to take sarcastically or genuine;

"How considerate of Lady Maeda, to worry so about your health!"

To this Shinju could only grit her teeth as she let it slide.

To add salt on top of the wound Ieyasu had to speak up as well, his expression hidden away as he rolled his eyes at Mitsunari, clearly feeling some type of contempt of the other.

"Yeah, sure, she totally didn't sound like a certain fox in Azuchi," were his words, earning a scornful look from both Shinju and Hideyoshi, though both for different reasons.

"Stop that," he commanded the two of them, seemingly deciding that he was going to disagree with the blonde and agree with the other. Though, he couldn't be further from the truth. "Where is Mitsuhide anyway?" came Hideyoshi's question, ignoring the continued banter as he turned around to find the host.

• OMG
Asuga looked down at Masamune on the ground after she threw Shinju her sword, graciously ignoring Hideyoshi's comment. Amber met bright blue. He was grinning at her and Asuga couldn't help but return a smile, holding out her hand. She helped him back up to his feet and patted his shoulder. They shared a short chuckle. It was easy, it was carefree. It was like a heavy burden had been taken off her shoulders..

But reality came crashing back when she turned her eyes away towards the rest of the group. Not hearing Shinju's sassy comment towards Hideyoshi and the friendly bickering that followed. She got into tunnel vision, her smile falling. What was she even doing? These people were her enemies. They were personally responsible for the downfall of her home. The possible death of her family. She couldn't smile or laugh with them. It would be like disrespecting the fallen. It took only a moment for these thoughts to race through her head and Asuga was back to her former mask.

She didn't take part in any of the conversation then, only retreated into the shadows, keeping her distance, making sure Shinju wasn't in danger, though for now the lords seemed peaceful enough.
"In any case.", Hideyoshi continued. "Lord Nobunaga wishes to see you Lady…. …. Shinju. Tomorrow by afternoon, as it is required for someone of your bloodline."

There it was, the moment she had feared. Coming face to face with the man to blame for all her misery. He had ordered the death of her friends, family, ruined Kai's fields and soon it's people. Incredible anger and frustration came up within her and the Kunoichi returned to her former death glare.

"Next time I will bring you ladies something proper to eat. I can't imagine that Mitsuhide has proper food at his manor. The man barely has any sense for taste at all." Masamune actually looked rather offended as he said that… And back they went to bickering. Asuga watched it all from the side, quietly. Shinju looked so out of place in the middle of these famous names. If she would work on her posture and expressions, she could fit in here alright, unlike herself.

Asuga longed for the woods, to be outside again. She wanted to take Nemain on a stroll.. Maybe she could convince Shinju to go with her.. just for a little bit at least. She was used to the open fields, moving around as she pleased. It had only been a few days and she was already going stir crazy. Especially being surrounded by so much politic was just not her field of expertise. So She waited for them all to leave.. For her to be able to breathe again without feeling a crushing anxiety in her chest fighting a battle with ice cold hatred.

Once they were in the clear, Asuga's expressionless eyes met Shinju's. "Mitsuhide apparently went to work. I think he was as tired of this visit as we were.", she commented in a calm voice. Unsure what to do about it right now, she walked up to Shinju and moved towards the corridor.

• Spicy
Asuga's expression, at first happy, shifted from horror to the stoicness she had been carrying for days, to the death glare she had worn when they watched the warlords enter Azuchi all in the course of the few minutes after the fight had ended. A shift that Shinju couldn't blame her for as her own expression fell as well at the mention of having to meet Nobunaga.

"I would be honoured, Lord Toyotomi," Shinju answered, her tone flat as she bowed towards Hideyoshi. "I'm of no importance, truly. I only hope that I'm not inconveniencing anyone, much less Lord Oda." For the first time Shinju felt grateful for the rigid etiquette her family had taught her, making her quite capable to carry out the polite formalities.

"Nonsense, you are a member of the Maeda and by default of importance," Hideyoshi waved the female off before his face fell once more. "Though," he started, his voice lowering sternly as Shinju wondered where she had spoken out of place, feeling a scolding heading her way, "I wish you would call me Hideyoshi instead, no need to be strangers!" the man smiled brightly instead, earning a startled look from the female.

"Right. Hideyoshi," she repeated after the male when warm brown eyes encouraged her to do so.

If it wasn't for her own behind-the-scenes knowledge Shinju could see herself fall for the handsome man, feeling herself failing at preventing a blush from creeping up. Quickly regaining her composure the female turned her attention to Masamune, a chuckle escaping her as she met the male's disdain for Mitsuhide's dinner habits.

"Lord Akechi takes excellent care of us," Shinju says, her head bowing towards Masamune as she smiles. "Though, I suppose I shall count myself lucky that he doesn't cook himself," she added in a jest.

Masamune's exclamation and offer were interesting notes to take away, however and Shinju made sure to commit them to memory, anticipation burrowing up as she wondered what little treasures she was to dig up more.

This went on for a little while longer, with the warlords all insisting after Hideyoshi that Shinju was to address them casually. An uncomfortable thought she found, as it instantly made her relationship with the Azuchi warlords much more intimate from what she had anticipated. However, playing along with the game she went along, insisting along to be called by her own name instead of the formal address, an address that she had come to despise thanks to a certain man.

"It certainly was an unexpected visit," she responded to Asuga after that the warlords had left the Akechi manor. Turning around the female examined the expression of the kunoichi, a hint of worry in her own expression. Asuga pretended to be fine, but Shinju doubted it, knowing that the kunoichi's loyalties were deeply tied with the people in Kai.

It was right at that moment that another figure swept in, this time more familiar as it was the loyal right hand of Mitsuhide; Kyubei.

"Lord Kyubei!" Shinju was quick to call out for the man, her arm raising in a form of automatism as she caught up to the other. If one asked Shinju whom she had taken a liking to in the Akechi household the female would respond with; Kyubei, the loyal servant of the Akechi lord, and the reason for it was simple. Despite the animosity between the master and the lady, Kyubei had never done anything to make either 'hostages' feel out of place. Instead the servant had constantly aimed to be as hospital and welcoming as possible, even going as far as to defend his lord's 'kind' intentions whenever he saw Shinju as much as frown. For that, Shinju decided, the servant was a commendable man, next to being beyond interesting.

"Just Kyubei is fine, Lady Shinju," the man responded back in greeting, his head low as he bowed, "I'm afraid I'm no lord," was his answer.

"Only if you stop addressing me as 'lady', I'm quite tired of hearing it all day from Lord Akechi," was Shinju's instant response, a smile accompanied with it before she went down to business.

"Anyway, I was hoping to gain permission to go into town. It has been quite some time since our arrival and a change of scenery may do everyone some good," the female proposed, hoping for a favourable answer, though she knew she was being unfair to ask it of Kyubei instead of Mitsuhide himself. The man was entirely loyal to his lord, to the point that he could easily be mistaken as the shadow of the infamous Oda traitor. A role he apparently plays so well that historical records mistake his name to be an alias of Mitsuhide's.

Cooly concealing his expression the man drew out a sigh as he gave Shinju an apologetic look. "I'm afraid that I must disappoint you, la- Shinju," he started, quickly correcting himself when Shinju gave him a pleading look with her eyes.

"But I can bring you some sake tonight? The weather is excellent and though we have no tenshu here we have a pavilion from which you can look over the manor walls?"

It was a compromise, really, but a good one and Shinju supposed that was as far as she would get with Kyubei, or anyone really, for she was confident that Mitsuhide would have flat out denied her without any other alternatives to offer.

"How does that sound, Asuga?" Shinju turned around to the kunoichi, dark eyes seeking out amber ones. "We could invite Kyubei along and feed him drunk and sneak out after," she mischievously added, a remark that received a short protest from the man. Not that Shinju believed it to be possible, but it would help relieve some of the tensions piling up.

• Creative
Asuga watched with caution as Shinju approached Akechi's trusted vassal Kyubei. She was very much skeptical towards him, since he was the man she ran into when they first got to the inn. It only meant that Mitsuhide was on their tails even before anything had happened. The man was extremely efficient it was scary. However he had never been unkind to them in the passing days. He was a nice man and always polite. The complete opposite to his lord, really.

She admitted to herself, she was disappointed to not be able to go out into town. Asuga really wanted to stretch her legs properly, but an evening with Sake didn't sound so bad either. As usual and strict to her role, she stayed silent and let Shinju do the talking. She had to keep herself from getting to familiar with the people her. They were not her friends, could never be. They were the enemy. This would become some type of mantra for her in the future, she feared. It was really impossible for to actually let go of the tension constantly resting in her shoulders. Maybe a drink or two would help her sleep for a bit more than just one or two hours per night since they got here.
Asuga missed Kai.. She missed her favorite spot on top of Tsutsujigasaki from where she could see the stars and fall asleep under the open sky. She missed Shingen's stories, Yukimura's bickering and Chiyome's firm presence. She felt suddenly very homesick. Being drunk might even be healthy for her at this point. She felt a stress headache coming.

As conflicting as it was, she decided to leave her Katana behind in their room for the moment. The evening had approached quickly once the two women returned. Now they were on the way to the pavillion Kyubei mentioned. Asuga wasn't much of a drinker, has never been. In the modern day she was simply not interested in it and now in the Sengoku she had to keep a clear head because of her work. However she thought Shinju would be safe enough here so one night wouldn't hurt any of them. She was especially worried for her companion and was grateful she would get a chance to relax after everything that had happened.

Asuga had been dragging herself through sleepless nights ever since they got here so even if she only admitted it unwillingly, she was actually looking forward to this. Though when they settled in, she preferred to stay a bit away from the happenings, letting Shinju take the social lead as usual. Sometimes the Kunoichi thought she would burden too much on the other woman's shoulder, though the roles they picked required this much.
She wasn't still too sure if she could open up in front of one of Akechi's vassals, but Kyubei was alright enough. She wouldn't have to have any deep talks with him anyway..

While being a bit apart from the situation, Asuga never really left Shinju's side. Always offering at least moral support, when she accepted her first cup of Sake. She tried to force herself to relax, but the basic location where they were right now left her stressed out enough to keep the tension in every muscle in her body. Carefully she took a sip from the sweet alcohol. It wasn't bad.. She would always prefer a good beer, but this would do for now.

• Spicy
The pavilion that Kyubei had set up for them was comfortable, secluded, secure, with a good view over the town. It was everything that the Akechi manor had presented itself to be so far, the tendency to wrap everything personal up under many layers of illusions, describing the illustrious master of the house so very well.

Shinju had insisted on pouring Asuga a cup, and then another, and another. Not because the woman wanted to feed the kunoichi drunk, though her aim was to have Asuga relax, but because Shinju genuinely wanted to pay back her respects for all that Asuga had done. Protecting her, guarding her, all the while whilst the woman slipped away into her shadows. Asuga had, in the short time they had known each other, become a pillar for Shinju to rely upon, a symbol of safety and security that she had otherwise lost in the Sengoku era.

Of course she didn't forget to enjoy the sake herself. Kyubei had emphasised upon it what fine alcohol he had brought, hinting that it would be a shame to waste it otherwise. Not a word had been a lie, as Shinju enjoyed the smooth clear liquid, finding a hint of a flowery note at the end. A surprising nuance, and somewhere the female wondered how Kyubei had guessed her favourite type, or if it had been mere coincidence.

"Asuga," Shinju spoke, as she poured the kunoichi another cup, an easy smile on her lips. The female was far from drunk, though she did admit to feeling a little tipsy perhaps. Being the heiress of a famous dojo made the attendance of business parties mandatory, meaning that Shinju had some experience with drinking, whether she liked to or not. "How are you enjoying the sake?" she questioned, though she suspected that the alcohol might not suit the tastes of the kunoichi, battle hardened as she was.

"Tell me of your hobbies, what do you like to do next to training me?" she continued, pouring herself another cup as she jested around. A strange sense of peace fell over her, despite the presence of Kyubei nearby, invited by Shinju through persistence. She blamed the alcohol for that, drowning away the recent battle and the fact that war was always looming.

"The same question goes for you, Kyubei, you're both much too mysterious for my liking," Shinju followed up, eyes locking with the other man as she didn't forget him. Had she fed the both of them enough yet to earn these answers? Was Asuga able to relax already? Shinju could only observe as she brought the cup to her lips.

"And no answering my question with a question, I'm quite done with those games!" she quickly added in, her eyes frowning at the both of them, but in particular to a certain right-hand.

To this Kyubei only chuckled, having resigned himself to Shinju's invitation. Though the man still made sure to sit apart and secluded, not wanting to interrupt in the leisurely time, he didn't seem to be forgotten as he was included into the conversation.

"It seems that the lady has figured me out," he spoke softly, his voice gentle in the nightair, "or rather my master?" he continued to tease, earning a glare.

Eyeing both Shinju and Asuga the shadow of Mitsuhide fell quiet for a bit, his eyes trained on the kunoichi in particular as he sipped his cup once more. "I'm afraid that my answer will be unsatisfactory, for I don't have any particular hobbies," the man finally answered, and somewhere that was the sad truth of it all. Busy as the man was, Kyubei couldn't recall when he had dedicated himself to anything he enjoyed in his leisurely time.

In a way he expected the same answer from Asuga, battleworn as she was, tense as she had been upon arrival. In a way, Kyubei had unconsciously started to project himself in the kunoichi, finding that perhaps they might be similar.

• Creative
Too much Sake.. Too much. Asuga wasn't used to drinking, but Shinju kept filling her cup and she kept drinking it empty. How could something so stupidly sweet make her drunk this quickly? What she would do for a bottle of beer right now. She blinked at her companion for a moment, trying to process what she just said to her. Her..hobbies? Another blink. She couldn't tell Shinju her hobbies… At least not all of them. She could just reveal her Sengoku friendly past time activities to her.

She was grateful that Kyubei spoke up before her, though what she heard was actually quite sad. He had nothing to after his work? Did he ever stop working? Being Mitsuhide's vassal probably was torture like the man himself. She felt for him on a totally different level like one might suspect. Her own life was nothing but work, but at least Shingen insisted on her taking breaks and enjoy herself once in a while. She couldn't see Mitsuhide doing that. Poor Kyubei. Feeling sympathetic towards the man, she moved closer into the circle.

"I am an artist..or.. was, I guess." Her voice was already slurring a little. "And I can play guitar.." Wait..were guitars already invented? "...An instrument from the west!"

She shifted a bit, so she could sit cross legged on the pillow, emptying another cup of Sake. The tension in her shoulders started to fade and the alcohol was loosening her tongue a lot. A slight flush on her cheeks, the Kunoichi became quite talkative. "You have no hobbies, Kyubei? That's awful.. what a workaholic…" Whoops, watch the modern slang. "Now I'm kinda glad that Shinju dragged you here. Though you would end up being Mitsuhide 2.0… I mean.. like an image of him.. You get my meaning."
She really needed to watch her tongue now, the more she drank the more she started chatting. A smile was spreading on her lips and she snickered, the alcohol making her forget that she was in fact still in enemy territory. A dangerous path to walk on. Her amber eyes wandered away from the other two, looking at the darkness beyond the town, where the fields and forest were. She still felt cooped up, locked up in this manor, which was by any means not small but still claustrophobic to her.

Another refill, another empty cup.. Repeat this a few more times, she was slowly nearing a state where she would answer most questions without hesitation, if one could understand her drunken slur. She had spent the last eight years speaking japanese, but when drunk her more prominent languages came out. Which were spanish and english. Asuga leaned over to Kyubei, narrowing her eyes. "Y'know tricking me like that in the inn was a real shit move from you, Kyubei. Hey Shinju. Did I tell you that I can into this guy when we just got here? He pretended to visit our inn. Probably was spying on us." She snorted and then laughed quietly. "You were far too nice to me, you know that? It was suspicious. Be less nice, Kyubei."

• Spicy
"Guitar?" Kyubei repeated after Asuga, confused. Perhaps a bit too sharply for a mind that should have been dulled by the alcohol. However, no one seemed to notice it as Shinju just waved at him, invested into what Asuga had to say.

"The Japanese equivalent would be a shamisen, or so," the female dismissed it casually, eyes sparkling in an unusual curious way. That was a plan forming, alright, Kyubei had seen that expression too often. On the faces of the lords, of his own particular lord. It was always in the eyes, the windows of betrayal could be found in the soul.

However, that seemed to be all that Asuga had to say about her hobbies as she then turned to Kyubei, her cheeks flushing ever so lightly from the sake poured. Words such as 'workaholic' were thrown around, strange terms that Kyubei wondered if they came from the west, as he had never heard of them before.

Again Shinju seemed unperturbed by the strange speech, giggling her way through as she poured another glass for Asuga, and one for Kyubei as well, motioning for the man to sit closer. "Drink up," she told the two of them, seeming to enjoy the sudden openness in which Asuga treated them all, her speech continuing, slurred, but still clear, accented, but understandable.

"We should find you some hobbies, Kyubei," Shinju teased, a sparkle in her eyes as she mischievously eyed him. Much different that the dour expression she had been trying to conceal herself behind, or the irritation she showed his lord. "Asuga seems up for it" she continued as Kyubei's eyes went over the other, dark eyes meeting amber ones as he felt himself grow curiouser and curiouser over this woman from the foreign lands.

"Shall I bring in a shamisen for the lady?" he offered, surprising himself with how eager he seemed to hear the other play. Though, he tried to reason with himself that he was trying to divert the attention off his person.

To this Shinju's expression turned thoughtful as she eyed her guard, seemingly trying to determine how good the idea would be to have someone so obviously inebriated play. "Perhaps another day, tonight it is your turn," was the conclusion and Kyubei dreaded to know what this could possibly mean for him as two pair of eyes focused upon him.

How he dreaded to be the center of attention. Just like his master, it seemed, though he seemed to be less capable at fleeing, as he was still rooted in his seat, getting poured yet another drink. Shinju was, if anything, at least good at keeping their glasses filled unlike her own, which signalled experience.

"Isn't there anything you enjoy doing, Kyubei?" Shinju questioned and the man thought for a moment before shrugging.

"I enjoy working. Though, I suppose if anything, perhaps riding the horses after a long day," he mused, not really sure if those could be considered hobbies.

• Creative
Asuga

Asuga ever only learned the basics about japanese instruments. She preferred very much to play her acoustic guitar and hopefully one day she would get her hands on it again. If the Oda hadn't destroyed Tsutsujigasaki completely. The thoughts about home were about to drag down her mood again, but just in time Shinju refilled her cup. Was she even drinking? She seemed to be totally unbothered by the whole Sake. She was perfectly fine with turning the subject away from herself. Though it seemed to her that Kyubei felt the same way and somewhat she was a bit sorry.. but not really.

"Yes, I agree. You need some downtime too. Like all of us, even Shinju deserves a break for her sore behind while being struck down to the ground so often, right?" Asuga shot her companion a smirk and then turned back towards Kyubei, taking a sip from her cup. She almost laughed when he tried to maneuver the conversation away from him, just like she did before. Feeling very grateful that Shinju didn't let that happen, though. The Kunoichi's amber eyes gleamed with mirth.

"Horse riding is a fair hobby. I love going on long trips with my horse.. Not right now, though. Because I'm stuck in the evil Fox's den, I guess." Her words were basically dripping with sarcasm, as she emptied her cup and held it out for Shinju to refill once more. How much did she have already? Asuga forgot. The alcohol was really messing with her head. "Do you not go out with friends? Or.. I don't know? Home to your wife or what not?"
Eventually though Asuga turned towards Shinju and narrowed her amber eyes. "And what about you? You haven't said anything about yourself, MILADY. How about it? Tell us about yourself." Feeling very pleased with herself, Asuga got more comfortable on the pillows, smiling at her companion, an actual honest smile, though a bit tilted from being drunk already. She also didn't notice that her last two sentences had been spoken in modern english. Keep on drinking could be very dangerous for her. She could give away their secret, if Shinju would keep giving her so much Sake.

Asuga put down the cup and decided to take a break. She was feeling exhausted from the past days..week.. A deep sigh left her lips and she shook her head lightly, trying to find her way back into the conversation.

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide carried a few documents through the corridor, when he heard voices coming from the gardens and the pavillion. Sounded like his two guests and Kyubei were enjoying themselves. Curious. With a smile on his lips he slowly walked towards the open sliding screen and peeked around the corner. His citrine eyes narrowed slightly with amusement from the image he saw.

Shinju, Asuga and Kyubei were sitting together, drinking Sake. Both women had smiles on their faces while his vassal looked mildly terrified and uncomfortable. Truly, being the center of attention wasn't his strong suit but that made the whole situation only funnier. He would stay a little bit and watch Kyubei's misery from a distance, maybe make an appearance later on. For now this was so very amusing.

• Spicy