Moth to a Flame

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Shinju Maeda

The fever had gone down considerably by the time Shinju woke up, her thoughts clear as well when she found herself back in her room, the memories of before only vaguely in her mind. Groaning the female rubbed her head as she made a mental note to thank Mitsuhide for carrying her back, despite the state he was in himself. And for the meal now gone luke-warm. She had been a handful, again, as per usual.

"Are you awake, milady?" The innkeeper's daughter questioned when Shinju stepped out of her room, a stifled grimace was on her face, in the way only women could look when they had gossip to tell and Shinju felt herself tense up at that. "Milord is in his own room, he takes such good care of you," the female added and Shinju felt the need to hold back an internal groan at the way the daughter's eyes twinkled at that.

"Thank you," was all Shinju managed to bring out that didn't sound too snappy or impolite, "can you bring up another meal set?" she followed up, remembering that it was probably only she who had been taken care of. "My meal had gone cold, apologies for that," Shinju lied, knowing full well that she had already eaten, as not to waste food.

"I will make it two!" the innkeeper's daughter exclaimed instead and Shinju resisted another internal sigh as she made her way over to the room next to hers, steeling herself for yet another round of stubbornness.

This time she didn't bother to wait for permission as she knocked on the door, letting herself in to see the balcony open and, indeed, another bottle of sake next to the man. This time Shinju didn't hold back her sigh as she straightened herself, already feeling exhausted at the worst patient to ever have.

"Thank you for taking care of me," she started to speak, thinking that it was perhaps best to open with something nice instead of a scolding, "I didn't mean to fall asleep on you like that," Shinju continued, remembering how her aim had actually been to check up on the man and make sure he wasn't going to aggravate himself more than he already did. A mission failed judging from the sake in his hands.

Crouching down next to the man on the balcony Shinju eyed out over the horizon ahead of them, enjoying the slightly warming spring weather. "I took the liberty of ordering a meal for you," the female suddenly announced after a short silence just when there was another knock on the door; announcing the eager innkeeper's daughter with, indeed, two mealsets. She wasn't going to give the man options anymore if it was going to be a constant battle of wits. She wasn't likely to win anyway.

Kennyo

Despite her usual battle hardened attitude Kennyo could see the remnants of a normal woman in her, one that Asuga usually tried to cover up and forget about. One that had been cut open and left to bleed in this war-torn world. The way she played with Hozuki, the sound of adoration that followed, the concern directed at him when Kennyo grew too solemn.

"Ah," the man surprised himself, realising that he had drifted off as he blinked, trying to compose himself once more as the abbott, not as the man with a questionable friend. "I was just reminiscing over … something," he admitted, looking for his words once more. It felt wrong to describe Shingen as 'vile' in front of Asuga, who still felt the loss of the former warlord sorely, but neither did Kennyo have any positive words for the old departed friend.

"Hozuki seems to like you," Kennyo changed the topic, a smile crossing his face as he watched the weasel fondly, "had I known that Ranmaru meant to set this meeting up I would have brought the rest as well," the man admitted sheepishly, "Hayate has been sulking, he might have sensed something," he laughs.

And it was true. The wolf had indeed begged to come with Kennyo, but more for the outing than anything else, for the monk had tried to keep the wolf as close as possible and not out too often. The Azuchi forest wasn't known for holding wolves after all and Hayate would stand out, if not instill fear in the population who would prompt a hunt. A dire thought, truly as the monk had pondered over the option of moving away somewhere where the wolf could be more free.

• What a TWIST
Reactions: ShakenVeil
Mitsuhide

As Mitsuhide sipped from his Sake cup, his eyes wandered over the surroundings while in his mind the wheels were turning about their upcoming journey and destination. Despite the bandit attack he didn't expect any more trouble further down the road. Eventually he got up and got rid of his sleeping kimono, dressing himself in the other set of proper casual clothes he took with himself. He would have someone mend the first one when they reached their destination. He only hoped that there would be no more blood or tears on this one.

He folded up his sleeping attire and returned it to the travelling bag.

Afterwards he settled down on his former spot on the balcony again, letting his thoughts wander into direction they usually didn't go, something he wouldn't reveal to others. Not that he ever really revealed anything, even though he sometimes wished to. He wouldn't dare to let anyone, maybe except Kyubei, follow him into the shadows and his vassal mostly knew what he was thinking. If this was good or bad, Mitsuhide occasionally questioned.

A short, brief knock on his sliding door and Shinju let herself in to interrupt his wandering mind. A blessing, really. "It is of no matter, little lady. You are sick and I shouldn't have indulged you. I felt somewhat responsible for you passing out from exhaustion. I hope you still were able to eat your breakfast, though."
He raised a silvery eyebrow at Shinju upon mentioning a meal. Was she intent on force feeding him? Mitsuhide was never really good at keeping track of his own body, only noticing when his stomach was actually protesting and demanding food. Maybe he should be grateful for her intervention.

"Very well.", was all he said to it. He would thank her later. He didn't react when the innkeeper's daughter brought their food. Mitsuhide only rose to his feet and knelt down in front of the small table, looking at the lunch. He wasn't feeling particularly hungry, but he had to admit he would be required to eat eventually. He picked up his chopsticks and started to eat slowly without another word.

Usually he would be teasing her mercilessly now, though considering her illness he didn't want to make her life any harder.

Asuga

With Hozuki gone, she had a bit longer to properly look at Kennyo. There was an aura of sadness and nostalgia surrounding him and she wondered what it was about that he was thinking. She wouldn't ask, though. Kennyo was someone who wasn't easily open to another person and she would respect that. They hadn't known each other for too long anyway. So she let the subject go and instead replied to his words afterwards.
"I do like her as well.. I don't know why she has taken a liking to me. Maybe because I'm not straight out rejecting her like most people do animals.." She shrugged. "I would love to see Mike and Hayate as well and I'm sure I will once I'm back on my feet. This cold is taking more out of me than I like to admit.." She sighed. Her inner tension was probably doing the rest. "Hayate has always been sensitive to other's emotions ever since he was a pup. When Yukimura was feeling rejected by his father, which happened quite often to be fair, he would always curl up with him and comfort him. All in secret though, when he thought no one was watching."

A small smile appeared on her lips and she took another sip of tea. "For what it's worth, though. Hayate is still a wolf and not a domesticated dog. Even though he acts like it most of the time. He will protect you and your people if he has to. I doubt he wanted to come along because of me. He was probably worried about you." She couldn't look into the mind of her canine companion but she was pretty sure this was the case.

She trusted Kennyo to keep him safe, though Asuga couldn't help but worry sometimes. Letting out a barely audible sigh, she focused back on her teacup, deciding to grab a snack from the plate as well even though she couldn't taste much. Being here had put her mind somewhat at ease and she felt less exhausted.

• What a TWIST
Reactions: Nemopedia
Shinju Maeda

Perhaps a second meal wasn't unwelcome. If it made it easier for Mitsuhide to eat. She had heard of such cases, in which they felt more at comfort to eat together, or to have someone take a bite first before they could. Though the man didn't cross her as such a person Shinju held it in consideration anyway, a natural inclination as a health practitioner as she eyed the warlord carefully.

"I said thank you, why does it sound like you are apologising to me?" the female responded, and here she employed another technique taught in the practice of taking care of others. It struck Shinju how many of them she had to employ when dealing with the man, making her wonder if Mitsuhide was supposed to be a study instead.

Careful, attentive and sharp intuit, she knew that ideally a professional in her field had to employ all these and perhaps it was the extra sleep that had helped as well. Suddenly the way to approach everything seemed much clearer, easier even. Shinju supposed that it was because of the professional mask she had decided to slide on.

"My fever has gone now. I will be fine tomorrow. Your back, however, isn't," she continued as she took a seat across from the man, "eating well and resting plenty will help." She didn't specify who it would help, but it was obvious that it was for both.

Realising that she was nagging Shinju heaved a sigh at herself, quietly sipping at the soup served as she pressed her lips into a line.

"You're forcing my hand there, should I charge you like a doctor should?" she said instead, half a jest, more of a jab, for Shinju didn't fancy herself to be one even if she was acting like one.

Kennyo

Yukimura, the boy. Practically adopted by Shingen. Kennyo remembered the young man, the zeal and fervour in his eyes, the eagerness to grow up and grow into the man he followed practically everywhere. But Shingen had always said that the boy was more like Kennyo, stern in character and awkward, 'but worse!' he could hear Shingen's voice ring in his memory, 'he makes every woman cry with his words and not because of their warmth.'

Remembering that last statement actually earned a scoff from the monk who clicked his tongue at the memory. It was a good thing that the Sanada whelp hadn't taken after Shingen too much despite all the time spent together. What atrocity it would have been to that honest and upright character that would have been.

"He could never leave alone the abandoned and rejected," Kennyo spoke thoughtlessly, not even realising that he was praising Shingen until the words had left him, and another grimace followed.

"Pets take after their owners," Kennyo spoke instead, his expression softening as he turned his attention back to Hayate and Asuga, "your presence is one of comfort as well," he continued, once more just saying what he had meant only to realise later how it could have been taken.

Blinking the monk took in a deep breath as he straightened himself, gesturing towards the tea that was set ready for the kunoichi to take, "Ranmaru brewed you a herbal tea to strengthen you after your cold. You should take it while it is still hot," Kennyo spoke, once more changing the conversation to yet another subject.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide looked silently on the meal spread out in front of him. He made out the biggest bowl and started throwing the food in all together into this one bowl. He picked up the Chopsticks and started eating without much of a word. It was true he hadn't eaten in a while and slowly his body was signaling him that he maybe should have a few bites. "Me apologising to you? Little lady, you must be mistaken." He shot her a small smile which was supposed to look honest though Mitsuhide wasn't sure if it came across like that.

"My back will survive. Sadly not everyone of us has the luxury of sleeping until noon.", he teased lightly and returned to his food, slowly eating it even though he couldn't taste any of it. "I'm glad you're feeling better however. If you are confident that you will be alright tomorrow, then we can proceed with our journey. We still have a long way to go."

He ate another few more bites before looking at her again, tilting his head slightly to the side. "Maybe you should. In my eyes you are a doctor. Maybe a bit unusual.. But that is beside the point, don't you think?"

Soon he was finished and put everything to the side for the pick up later. He didn't waste any time and poured himself a cup of Sake on the balcony again, settling down in the noon sun. There was not much else to do except for waiting for Shinju to recover from her fever so they could move on. Mitsuhide's citrine eyes followed the Sake as he swirled it around lightly in the cup in his hand. He had another one, should she fancy to join him though he did not expect her to.

"Is there anything you would like to do with the rest of the day, if you do not wish to remain in your room?"

They could at least stroll through town a little and he could keep his ears open if someone expected any more trouble in the region. He would rather avoid another incident.

Asuga

Asuga looked at Kennyo in silence for a moment, processing what he just said to her, trying to make the connection to the story she just told and it brought a frown to her face and sadness into her eyes. She decided it was for the better to just let the subject go. There was nothing about this to discuss for either her or Kennyo without bringing on too much pain for one or the other.

While her thoughts were aimlessly wandering and she just nodded to his following statement, what she heard then caught her a little off guard and made her forget about the tea served right in front of her. What was that supposed to mean? Out of all things, Asuga wouldn't call her presence comforting. Unnerving, maybe. Uncomfortable because of her profession. Wordlessly she reached for the tea in front of her. It smelled nice, from what she could smell at least. Her nose was still stuffy, though she was feeling better obviously.

"I will make sure to thank him. When he returns from his failing attempt to couple us up.", she said rather deadpan, while drinking her tea.

"Will you tell me how you have been? Honestly, without hiding? I am worried and I wish I could stick around to protect your hideout myself." She looked frustrated for a moment. "But my responsibilities bind me.. for now." Asuga left the rest of her words open, though the suggestion was there and her intentions as well. She and Kennyo shared the same goal and if joining his forces could save the lives of some of his people, because one skilled fighter joined them? It would be worth it. "The fox has eyes on the woods, or at least this is what his right hand hinted towards me. Please be safe."

She gripped the cup in her hand tighter for a moment, forcing another sip down her throat.

Shinju Maeda

There was a temptation rising within her, one that almost made Shinju get up from her place to press into Mitsuhide's back once more. Almost, but she didn't as she eyed the man, unimpressed and unhappy as she pulled her lips into a long line. Even the tease didn't affect her much as she stared at the man stalehardedly.

"Will you listen to doctor's orders if I agree on being called one?" Shinju questioned the man, but she knew it was silly to argue about semantics with a man like Mitsuhide. He would twist it, turn it and throw it back at her. Shinju wasn't witty enough for that game, yet she persisted as she reached out for his wrist, stopping the sake bottle midway as she took it out of his hand.

And against all of her own principles, even her own teachings, the female chugged the sake out over the veranda, the cups and the second bottle following, her expression grim.

"You're frustrating," she mumbled, more so to herself than to the man as she bit back the rest of her words. Frustrating was just lightly put, there was more, so much more, but none she could say now. Getting up Shinju momentarily stumbled as she accidentally put on weight on her hurt knee, an annoyed flinch darkening her expression as she smoothly played it off as dusting her hakama off.

"I'm going on a walk. Alone," came her clipped answer as she made her way for the door, making a mental note to tell the innkeeper and the rest of the family not to bring any sake, or alcoholic beverages to the room.

Not that it would help if the man was truly so desperate, but Shinju rather not frustrate herself with that more.

Kennyo

Couple. Kennyo's expression fell at that, his mouth a slightly ajar and his eyes wide. Couple up? He hadn't seen Ranmaru's eagerness as such, taken it as giddiness from the boy to give Kennyo a friend who had seemingly lost so many. The monk knew that Ranmaru had noted upon his loneliness, it was hard not to. But never did Kennyo think of it in another way, in light of a more romantic way. Kennyo's mind wasn't geared for that, nor was his situation.

But what bothered him even more was the 'failing' part. Did Asuga not enjoy his presence? Or did she simply not appreciate the behaviour?

"I'm sorry," had been Kennyo's first response, followed with even deeper confusion when the female inquired further on his well-being, his expression wide as he wondered what he was to answer and what she wanted to know exactly. There wasn't much more to him than what she already knew.

"Your concern is touching," Kennyo spoke instead, a smile gracing his features once more when he let the questions sink in more. Had he been distant with her? The monk hadn't meant to be so, but he figured that it was only natural as he wished to keep Asuga out of his own personal fight with the demon lord.

How was he doing? Kennyo had honestly no idea how to answer that anymore, the answers rising up too complex to analyse now. "Thank you," were his next words as the man tried to gather his words carefully, not wanting to push the kunoichi further away, not wanting to concern her too much in regards to him. "Your swift warning helped us, it is thanks to your concern that we managed to plan ahead of the fox," Kennyo explained, and it was the truth, just as his feelings were true.

He still didn't have a satisfactory answer for her, but the monk could only hope that it was enough.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide was well aware of Shinju's rising frustration levels. He knew he was dismissive towards her and didn't give her anything to work with in regards to his mental or physical condition except for indulging her earlier in the morning on taking a look at his wounds. He knew himself what an irritating person he could be and that the anger of people like Shinju or even Hideyoshi was justified.

His citrine eyes watched with an empty expression as she just dropped the cups and the Sake from the balcony, a shattering sound following when it all hit the ground. He held back the sigh he wanted to let out but did not intend to aggravate her any further. He would just get a new bottle for himself when she was asleep later on. Silent, he watched her get up and flinch. Mitsuhide was not ignorant or blind. He saw her pain when she put weight on her knee but kept quiet. There was no point in trying to get her to rest now. They would just have to deal with it later.

"If this is what you want, little lady."

Letting her go for now would be the wisest course of action, not that he would actually leave her be. They were in a foreign city and were attacked by bandits the day before. It would be absolutely irresponsible of him to let her go by herself. He would just leave her in the belief that she was having a walk alone.

Mitsuhide didn't look at her as she left the room, just listened to the sound of the sliding screen opening and closing and then he waited… patiently.. Long enough for her to leave the inn in a fake sense of peace and for him to follow her without being seen. He would keep his distance, though close enough to keep her safe if needed with no idea where she was going but if the little lady needed to cool off, he wouldn't deny her.

Asuga

Asuga looked up from her tea, visibly confused. "Why are you apologizing?" She paused for a moment, drinking in silence. What else was she supposed to say? Why would Kennyo even trust her enough to openly tell her if something was wrong? She was getting ahead of herself. She barely knew him and it was only thanks to his kindness that Hayate was safe. She shouldn't pry, right?

He obviously didn't want to talk about the subject any further, so Asuga dropped it and focused on finishing the cup of tea in her hand. The warmth spreading through her body from the drink was pleasant and made her feel better almost instantly. Yet dark clouds were troubling her mind. There was nothing she could tell Kennyo to feel more at ease around her now could he? Asuga felt suddenly the need to curl up into herself somewhere.

"Just try to stay safe..", she muttered quietly and finished up her drink. "If my information can help with that, it's enough. You and Ranmaru both are such kind souls. I wish none of this had ever happened to either of you.."

She wasn't feeling exactly hungry anymore and left the sweets untouched. Of course it wouldn't be enough if anyone found out Kennyo and his people were hiding out in the woods beyond Azuchi. Asuga blinked for a moment as if trying to readjust her own self and then looked up at the monk sitting next to her. "I should return to the manor before anyone gets suspicious. I will be back once it's safer." She paused, like she wanted to say more, wanted to stay longer but it was unwise. "Sorry for barging in here like this."

She gave Kennyo an apologetic smile before slowly getting to her feet and leaving the small building.

Shinju Maeda

She was being unreasonable, Shinju knew that. But she didn't want to be reasonable, she didn't want to sit back quietly anymore, she didn't want to do a whole lot of things that had been second nature to her for so long. But above all, she hadn't meant to chug away the sake like that. It had been childish and petty and…

Heaving in a deep breath the female slowed her pass, though her tread had never been fast to begin with, her knee still protesting at every movement too wild and too forced. Another breath, a roll of her shoulder and then a pause. Looking up at the clear blue sky Shinju was wishing for rain instead as she needed some cooling off. Some cooling off alone, she realised, as it had been so long since she had been allowed to be alone. It certainly had been the first time since she arrived here in the Sengoku era.

That was a hard thought to formulate and another type of heat flushed upwards her cheeks, stopping right behind her eyes as she gritted her teeth.

"Can I help you miss?" a nearby shopkeeper spoke up, when Shinju had stood frozen in front of the entry for a while. That startled her out of her thoughts, as the female regained herself and shook her head, not trusting herself to be able to speak just yet.

With another turn the female scanned the streets, wondering if there was anywhere she could be granted some more privacy yet as she continued down the road. The village they were staying in was small and there wasn't much to do or to see, but as common for every place there was a river and rice paddies where only a few frequented at this hour. It would have to provide. It was better than the village, where all eyes were set upon her as a stranger and better than the city she had left, where there was no moment of silence but lonely all the same. It was something as she wasn't fool enough to believe herself to be truly alone.

Sitting down in the grass Shinju pulled her knees up as much as it allowed her, a deep sigh yet again escaping her. It was just a moment she needed before she turned her head into the direction from whence she had come, scanning the area before raising her arm up to wave. She knew that Mitsuhide had followed her, even if it went against her wishes, and even for that she couldn't fault him.

"It's annoying having you track me," she would say later, "might as well just join me," she continued to speak, and for once Shinju didn't bother hiding herself behind that veil of polite amiability she usually kept to.

Kennyo

Why was he apologising? Kennyo wondered the same as well, just as he wondered why Asuga felt the need to apologise. It seemed to be a recurring theme between the two. Misunderstanding, misinterpreting, apologising and so the dance continued. Was he too conscious of her, too mindful perhaps? The monk wasn't sure what it was that caused the miscommunication, but it hurt all the same, for he didn't want their distance to be so great, yet he knew it to be for the best.

"Thank you for coming by, it was good to see you," Kennyo spoke after the kunoichi, holding back the next apology on his lips as he diverted into one of gratefulness instead. "And for being well," he continued, "Hayate will be happy to know it, but I'm as well," he admitted sheepishly and for once he perhaps felt his heart open a little bit as he felt that his thoughts and his words for once fell in line.

Could he bother her to stay around for longer? Kennyo doubted so, for he knew that the Oda were suspicious and that the Akechi manor was especially so. Even with the master gone the vassal remained and that was all the more concerning, for the loyalty of the vassal was blind.

"I hope Ranmaru and you both will find peace soon. I promise I will make sure the two of you will," Kennyo pledged next, knowing that he himself had gone too far down the path for any sort of redemption. But Asuga hadn't and neither had Ranmaru. It was unfair of him to drag the two of them down with him.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide kept his distance to Shinju, though at some point he was considering stepping up and just pulling her out of the daze she seemed to succumb to. It was worrying that she was walking around at all considering her leg was still hurt and the overall exhaustion following a cold was not entirely treated. He moved through the crowd more like a ghost than anything else, especially in his casual clothes.

Eventually she would settle down further away from the streets into the grass. He kept himself in the shadows to still give her some space but he wouldn't let her go anywhere without having an eye on her. It wasn't like she was a prisoner but he knew how desperate people in the rural areas could get. Despite Nobunaga's efforts to reach a long term peace for Japan, his methods and ways to go about it caused a lot of common people to struggle be it war, a territory overtaken by a different lord, famine, disease.

He leaned against a wall, keeping his citrine eyes on her. It wasn't exactly surprising when she noticed his presence, though if he was honest with himself he didn't really try to stay hidden. Maybe he should also question his abilities…

Nonetheless a smile found it's way onto his lips and he pushed himself away from the wall, walking over to her in an unhurried pace. He sat down into the grass next to her and he had to admit that this was quite serene and peaceful. Mitsuhide found himself taking a deep breath before turning his attention to Shinju. "Feeling a little better, little lady?"

He didn't think it necessary to have his mask in place. His expression was calm, but not as cold as it usually was. What he did not notice was the smile which firmly remained on his lips as his eyes trailed over the landscape around them.

Asuga

"I just wish I could stay longer without causing trouble for any of us." She sighed quietly and then was on her way out of the door. Despite how tense she felt beforehand she couldn't help but honestly smile at Kennyo. She was recovering, sure, but Asuga wasn't exactly sure if this was a good thing or not considering that the Devil King was waiting for word on her. "Thank you."

However the following words sounded far too familiar to her. She remembered what Shingen said before they headed off into battle against the Oda. He promised they would return home no matter what and look where it got them. The Kunoichi frowned at the monk, a troubled feeling stirring in her heart and she wasn't sure how to contain what was rising in her throat. Grief followed by anger, this was how she wanted to react but it wouldn't do either of them good when she got mad at him.

"Have you in your big words ever considered how others feel about you excluding yourself from such claims? That there are people who care about you and would rather see you alive even if you pursue the path of revenge?" She couldn't deny that she was not feeling something similar to him and even though their target for vengeance was the same, she wouldn't want him to deny himself a life afterwards. Did Kennyo intend to die?

The thought didn't sit well with her and bothered her more than she would admit for now. Asuga frowned at him but eventually sighed and shook her head. "It was good to see you, either way. Until we meet again." With a brief smile she left the building, looking down at Ranmaru, who was sitting outside. "Better go inside and keep the old grump some company. I find my way back. I need to think. See you around, kid." Asuga patted the young man's head and walked away from the temple.. back to the castletown and returned to the manor.. unwillingly but she did...

Shinju Maeda[/b]

"No," Shinju's answer was immediate, but an honest one as she threw a glare up at the man before turning away once more to enjoy the scenery, "but I will be. Eventually," she followed with a sigh, knowing that she could only learn to accept the situation in which she was now.

The scenery ahead of them was another rare sight in the bustling life of Japan in the 21st century, where landscape and scenery had been replaced with skyscrapers and neonlight billboards. The fresh air, the rice fields, the calming water, it all felt so strange as she eyed the 16th century sight and then the man next to her, who was as taken as she was by the landscape ahead.

"Do you think…" Shinju started, struggling to put her question in words as she tried to put them into the right context. Something neutral, something confronting, yet enough to still her curiosity. Something to answer that question that rang in the back of her mind ever since she had arrived and met the man.

"Do you believe…" she corrected herself, her expression turning pensive now as she realised that she was talking to one of the most elusive figures of history as well. The known traitor that may not have been, the fallen one that no one knew anything about five centuries from now on, but the fact that he ran and died.

Gulping the female wondered if she had done herself any favours by asking Mitsuhide about her own curiosity. How would the truth affect her? How would she be able to bring it back with her, or even record it?
What if he were to answer exactly as how the texts described him? Selfishly, egotistically? Would that dehumanise the man, or would it another loss of morality?

"Do you hope for the future to be better?" she awkwardly concluded instead, not really knowing what 'better' was. The air was polluted, the stars were hidden and some overworked themselves into their graves. But there was no war in the country and poverty was at large dispelled. Life expectancy had risen so high that their national average was the highest in the world, but at what cost?

"What is the point of war?" she followed up instead, finding that, perhaps this was an easier question to answer, though only at the risk of a textbook answer.

Kennyo

Big words? Kennyo's eyes turned up against the female who seemed to be so hurt and so angry all at the same time. A woman grieving and lamenting, but at the same time scolding and scowling. The dynamic of emotions rising within her as she accused the man of his possible inconsiderations shook him, hitting the nail on thoughts he had rather buried away in the crevices of his mind, where the shadows were the thickest and his thoughts the darkest.

"I," the male only managed to get out before she left and Ranmaru peeked in, eyes wide as confused, but also a little disappointed. As if Asuga hadn't done a number on his heart already.

"Master Kennyo?" Ranmaru questions, his voice small and a little worried, but mostly holding back his true thoughts once more as he didn't want to upset the man further. Kennyo was so aware of all these small habits as he turned his face away, his teeth clenching as he got up.

"Let's go back," he announces and with that he retreated into contemplation again, the words milling through his mind.

Kyubei

The return of Asuga came with dark clouds, metaphorically as Kyubei only saw a dark expression and not so necessarily a changing sky.

"Is Azuchi not to your liking?" the man questioned, though he already knew the answer to that one already. But anything else would set off the kunoichi and Kyubei rather not startle the woman more than he had to, lest she would get a heart attack on top of a cold and never recover.

"Lord Nobunaga has summoned you for tomorrow, word has reached him that you are fit enough to leave the manor," the vassal relays the news instead as he signals for a maid to prepare a light dinner for Asuga. She looked like she needed one, just as much as she needed to build up energy and rest aplenty to face the lord of Azuchi and his wife tomorrow.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

He found himself raising his eyebrows at her when she answered his question with 'no'. He didn't blame her. It was for him a sign that he should still leave her be so he fell silent and started to watch the peaceful scenery around them with a gentle expression in his citrine eyes. He lost his mind wandering for a little while into emptiness. The only noises to be heard were the gentle breeze of the wind over the rice fields and the quiet chatter of the people in town, only very quiet from this distance.

His attention returned to her when he heard her speaking a few words, though struggling to get the final question out. He honestly expected something terribly difficult to answer, something in regards to their plans maybe or the future of Nobunaga's ideals? It wasn't quite rare that people failed to talk around him. His reputation spoke for him in more ways than one.

Eventually Shinju actually offered him two questions. Mitsuhide found himself a little baffled by them, had he not expected for her to ask him something like this of all people. Asking someone like Nobunaga or even Hideyoshi or Masamune would have an answer for her without a second of hesitation, but Mitsuhide was not like them. He had his reasons, like everyone else of course.. Was he willing to reveal them? To her?

"Sometimes, you have to make sacrifices to better the life of the large crowd. I think one has to separate between the type of war you are fighting. Is it for your ego? Your own arrogance? Or is it to protect your people? Make life better for them? Nobunaga is trying to bring this country together to stop the wars… Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, I fear."
He paused, letting his eyes wander over the landscape once more. "What I hope for myself matters not. What I hope for in the future? For children to stop starving in the streets, for civilians to not fall to the games of the high and mighty.. For the people of this country to be able to go to sleep every evening without fearing the next morning." It might be a bit brief to satisfy her need for knowledge but it was the most honest answer he could give her at this moment.

A smile formed on his lips, faint but it was there. "And what about you, little lady? What are your grand hopes for the future?" The question in itself sounded more like spoken in jest intentionally. Maybe it would refocus her on another subject.

Asuga

Asuga walked the way back to Azuchi with a heavy heart. Why was she hurting so much? She pushed it to the mention of Shingen because not only was she mourning the loss of so many people close to her, she was also mourning her old life and the happiness she felt whenever she was in Kai until the Oda had taken everything. Maybe also because Kennyo reminded her of Shingen sometimes. So self sacrificial. Caring only about others' happiness and never his own, as if that wouldn't matter at all. As if his life wouldn't matter.

They never think about the people left behind, about those close to them. It's so selfish.

Angry and sad at the same time, Asuga moves back to Akechi manor, technically the last place she wanted to be but she was still feeling a little groggy. And Kyubei of course had to talk to her upon her return. "Your face is not to my liking.", she snapped back upon his stupid question.
… Of course Nobunaga caught wind of this already. She would just deal a day with him and then return back and just hoped that Shinju would return soon. "Fine.", was all she had to say. She followed the maid and ate a small dinner in silence. Underneath her anger she was still hurting, trying to contain her other emotions and channelizing it into wrath. It was what she did best. With a heavy heart and bitter thoughts the Kunoichi went to bed eventually, clinging to her blanket in her sleep.

The next morning she washed herself, got dressed in her Hakama, Katana and Kodachi strapped to her waist. She knew she looked tired, on edge. Her brain was sending anxiety through her whole body. She left the manor without a word to anyone or having breakfast. She wasn't feeling hungry. She had to face the person she despised most in this world.

Hardening her heart, Asuga walks to Azuchi castle, almost expecting to be thrown into the dungeons after the day.

Shinju Maeda

Within the academic setting, no matter the field pursued, there was always a mandatory course of ethics and morality. In Shinju's case these ethics were focused on the medical field, the accountability of life, the weight of life, the philosophy of life. And as Mitsuhide constructed his answer Shinju found that she recognised some of those statements in theories she had studied and had discussed, vague statements she had once thought about long ago and then discarded because it was no longer needed. The ego of a doctor, the quality of life, more terms she had familiarised herself with found within the context of what was to her a historical era.

Children had stopped starving in Japan. Public institutions helped with that if the parents were unable to. But Shinju knew that once one passed the age of 18 that there were plenty in Japan who went to bed hungry, and there were plenty below that perhaps never sought out the help out of shame and went to bed hungry all the same.

And then the games of the high and mighty. Was she high and mighty? Or was she a victim of it? Shinju had always considered herself to be born in privilege, higher middle class, the room to cultivate herself, but not to make her own choices.

"I think it matters," she finally said, but she couldn't say why she did and nor did she know what to make of his answer, in what context she could put it, what it meant for his eventual betrayal. She had expected the return of the question, ironic as it was, for she was from the future and knew what it was like. Yet, Shinju felt strangely empty at the question.

"To have hopes for yourself, I mean," she continued, but why that was she couldn't tell before heaving a sigh. It was then that a thought popped up as she turned her face to Mitsuhide, half buried away in her arms as she squinted at the man, this time not in disdain, but to get a better view of him.

"I hope that you will find peace with your actions," Shinju spoke, finding that she was sincerely hoping for the man to find peace on his end. Even if the logs were bloody and the story chaotic as it was convoluted. After all, so she supposed once more, Mitsuhide did contribute to the peace she had in the future.

"Yeah, that it won't be in vain," Shinju continued, contemplative once more before returning her attention to Mitsuhide and finding him to be a lot more serene. Perhaps it was the scenery, or the setting, or perhaps even the strangely intimate conversation. "I may not agree, or approve, but I hope you won't regret."

It was a strange wish, perhaps even a little bit contradictory, but it was sincere. After all, as reprehensible as they were made out to be it had all contributed and led to an outcome. In the end, it had served a purpose even if Shinju couldn't figure out what that purpose was, but for once she felt alright with that. Just not so at the thought that it would be within two years. That was too fast, and the realisation hit her with a shudder as she crawled up from her spot.

"Let's go back."

Marital Feud

The main room of Azuchi was fancily decorated per the attention of Nobunaga, filled with little displays of power and wealth along with his supposed open mindedness for the western world. If one asked Kichou her husband's tastes were gaudy, borderlining tasteless, but she wouldn't say anything about it as she took her seat next to the man, already bored out of her mind while they were waiting for that kunoichi to arrive.

"What use do you have of her anyway?" one of the retainers questioned the lady Kichou. It was her husband's question sent through a medium the lady knew and it was met with a sardonic chuckle, her long and heavy sleeves barely covering her mouth.

"Women get things done," was her answer, and the retainer flushed a bit at the slight made, but made no retort as they left the room one by one. The morning council had adjourned and only the husband and wife remained, seated next to each other and shoulders only inches apart, yet they sat in silence, never exchanging a word.

When Asuga was presented to the couple Kichou felt like she had grown eyebags from boredom alone. All the formalities, and then that contemptuous man that she was tied to. The sight of the foreign kunoichi was a welcome one as Kichou's green eyes lit up.

"Asuga, you don't look like the wind would carry you off," she jested as per a greeting, cutting off Nobunaga's chance to speak up first. Women's talk, she had decided, determined to keep her husband apart for as long as possible where she could.

"I heard you prevented me from becoming a widow too soon," Kichou jested next and this time the curve of her smile actually tilted a bit higher than was appropriate as she could feel Nobunaga's eyes on her. Good, had him stare, glare even, she wouldn't suffer or lose any sleep over it.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide was never someone who gave much about the opinions of others. Just taking a look at the people of Azuchi or even those who worked in the castle itself, including his fellow warlords. He was not to be trusted and always viewed with suspicion. He was Nobunaga's hand in secret, doing all the dirty work no one else was willing to take over. People kept their distance, looked at him with mostly fear in their eyes, some wishing for his demise, calling him names behind his back.

None of this was of any importance to him. He did what had to be done.

Though in this moment when Shinju genuinely wished for the peace of his own soul, he couldn't help but stare at her, baffled as he was. And for a second he thought there was something he still could not pinpoint about her. Some knowledge that was hidden to even his ways. He wanted to know what was hidden in her mind out of pure curiosity.

There was no point in pressuring her. It would only backfire. So instead he let go of his confused expression and replaced it with a smile and a light shake of his head as if to tell her that his own thinking was of little matter in general. He had not the option for regret.

"Are you sure you can walk back with your knee?", he asked as he got up, brushing off the dust and dirt from his clothes. He watched her carefully and decided to not follow his impulse to simply scoop her up and carry her back to the inn. He wouldn't have minded staying longer but if the little lady wanted to go back they would. Getting more rest was not a bad idea, since they intended to move on further south.

Besides.. He fully intended to retrieve more Sake once Shinju went to sleep.

He only hoped she was actually fine with continuing the journey and not requiring another day of rest. She sure wouldn't say it if that was the case. Mitsuhide let out a small sigh, so very uncharacteristic for himself, and started moving towards the inn.

Asuga

She entered the audience hall of Azuchi castle with not a small amount of anxiety in her mind. She was not ready to face Nobunaga without the possibility of actually murdering him but this would put Shinju in danger and maybe had any worse consequences for the people around her. Asuga steeled herself and knelt down in front of Nobunaga and who appeared to be his wife sitting by his side. For now she didn't lift her eyes, knowing very well it could cost her greatly if someone noticed the lingering hatred in her gaze.

"My feet are firmly on the ground, milady. For now." She paused letting the words settle over her, thinking what she should answer to it. She refused to bow entirely to the flattery that most people reached for when talking to Nobunaga. So Asuga gave the most honest answer she could muster in this moment, not mentioning that she would rather see the other woman's husband dead. "I merely protected Lady Maeda. This is the only task I aim to achieve."

Was there a hint of sarcasm in Kichou's voice? Maybe she was just imagining it but she didn't seem too keen on her husband's survival.

But Asuga fell silent again, knowing not to address a lord casually in such a formal meeting. She remembered when she had to be all formal with Shingen, when they were getting drunk on Sake the evening beforehand in the gardens with Masayuki.

She would wait until she was given a task, carry out the task and then go back to Akechi manor to go about her own business, whatever that may be. Maybe the fox had something to do for her. She would also return to the woods again when there was a quiet moment. She had to take Nemain out for a ride again as well. So much to do, actually… and here was prince know-it-all sitting on his non-existent throne wanting to torture her. She held back an irritated sigh and stayed put.

Shinju Maeda

She didn't pride herself in being able to read people. Nor did she pride herself in great wit. Shinju had neither, but she had eyes and in that moment she could tell that there was confusion in Miitsuhide's eyes. An expression he allowed to slip through, or was it that it had forced itself through? In any case, Shinju averted her eyes, turning away from the male as she didn't want her expression to reveal her secrets.

Fairly speaking, her knee still hurt and the sun was nice, just as the breeze outside was and the scenery pretty. There was no reason to rush back, or to return yet, but perhaps it was for the best to do so anyway. If only so that both could keep their secrets. If only because Shinju felt herself slip up too much, allowing herself to let loose of the leashes she had tried to keep so short.

"I treated it, unlike you," was her response towards her knee and it was true. She had treated her knee, even if she had accidentally put weight on it. 'And I don't want to get used to talking like this,' her thoughts followed, but she didn't express them, as she didn't express half of them.

"Mitsuhide?" she called out before she had taken a step, the sigh hadn't escaped her, deep and lamenting as if there was something weighing him down. Shinju wasn't sure why she suddenly felt the need to pursue it, having earlier thought that she was afraid of getting too close to the man. Yet, here she stood, a burning question on her lips.

"Why did you take me with you?" The words roll easily once Shinju sets herself over her initial hurdle. "You're a man of certain speed and I'm slowing you down," she continued, pointing out the observation she had made, the things she had come to know of the man. Always going hard, always forward, never braking even at his own cost. It was lamentful for even now Shinju felt guilty for falling ill on top of being hurt and being the reason for their forced stop.

But what answer was she expecting? She was confident that she was to receive another sly smile and a mirthful answer that suggested a thousand and one things that Shinju wasn't willing to analyse. "Thank you, I should say that instead." Shinju resigned herself to those words as she fell into step with the man, though she wasn't sure if the man knew what she was thanking him for.

The break away from Azuchi and the tensions surrounding and relating to the castle-town was proving itself to be dangerous.

Marriage is hard

Was it a language barrier that prevented the joke from landing, or was it tension? Kichou couldn't tell, but the answers amused her all the same as she hid the lower half of her face behind a sleeve.

"Truly?" Came the honing response, "I haven't met her, Shinju, right?" Kichou spoke airily as she eyed her husband, "but you have, right my lord-husband?"

The intonation at his title did little to Nobunaga who smiled back at Kichou with an inclination of his head, happy to let the woman throw her own show while he sat back and watched her. But the audience was now pulled onto the stage and Nobunaga had to speak.

"Can't say I remember her," he said and Kichou rolls her eyes as the man takes over the conversation, "but I recall liking Asuga's style," Nobunaga exclaimed without much elaboration a smirk ghosting over his features as he eyed the kunoichi.

"Does my lord-husband mean to steal Asuga away from the Maeda?" Kichou questioned, a lilt in her voice as she spoke with a low snicker. The female had noted the hate in Asuga's eyes, it was unmistakable after all, but said nothing of it. Instead, she decided to pull the kunoichi fully into her feud with her husband, beckoning for the woman to come closer.

"If so I would like to have her under me," the noblewoman said, "as a female she can accompany everywhere," was her reasoning as Nobunaga eyed both women before shrugging his shoulders.

"The Maeda are my vassals, it will be their honour just as much as hers," Nobunaga answered, and finally he addressed Asuga directly, carnelian eyes gliding over the woman as he crossed his arms in good humour.

"Now, where exactly are you from? Tell me about your birthplace," the man questioned, finally getting to the reason why he had the foreigner summoned.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide was wondering when the time would come again that she would ask for his reasons to take her along. He had no intention of telling her still, though maybe she would figure it out herself. Shinju was not stupid eventually she would catch onto why he dragged her along to a trip which would take weeks. It made him think back to Azuchi castle. He trusted Kyubei to run everything considered his field of work in his stead for a while without hesitation.

And he was wondering one thing, maybe also one of the reasons why he took Shinju along for the ride. While her question and assumption which followed after were left unanswered, he tilted his head slightly to the side when she was indeed thanking him. "You mustn't thank me, little lady." He looked at her, citrine eyes slightly narrowed with an inquisitive expression. "Let me ask you something instead."

He let a few moments pass as they walked down the road together at a lot slower pace than before, his gaze wandering over the people around them occasionally, though he was not sensing any danger at least. "How do you feel about living in Azuchi? I know you didn't get a choice, least of all by me. So tell me, Shinju Maeda. How does it feel for you being in Azuchi every day? Not actually able to go further than the castle town or the surrounding area, stuck in an enemy household."
Mitsuhide wasn't sure what Shinju actually thought of him, if she even saw him as an enemy because her ninja certainly did, like most of the people in Azuchi or in Japan in general. He hoped that maybe with his question, she would figure things out herself without him having to overly explain. He fell silent then, walking by her side like the guard he was posing to be.

Tomorrow they would be back on the road and hopefully the tense mood between them would ease a little. It was after all why he brought her with him. To breathe away from watchful eyes, observing her every move and action.

Asuga, very much done

She didn't like them talking about Shinju in such a dismissive tone, but there was hardly anything she could say to them. Asuga watched the couple in front of her bicker to their heart's content, though she could tell that there was a certain venom behind every single word Kichou said to her husband. She let most of his words slide, because the second he would try to take her away from Shinju she would surely murder him without any regard for her own safety.
Asuga already had passed up too many good opportunities to acquaint him with her sword. Though his question surprised her nonetheless. She raised her amber eyes towards Nobunaga, the man she hated from the bottom of her heart, the one who had stolen everything she held dear in these times. What would Shingen say if he could see her now? Would he be disappointed that she couldn't carry out her vengeance just yet?

Probably not. He would tell her to be gentle to her own heart, like so many times before.

For now she would have to indulge Oda and so she looked for her words for a moment before answering. "I am from Valencia, a city located on the eastern coast of spain. It's known for the trade with luxurious goods especially in the mediterrean region and north africa. The arts and culture flourish, though not without the restrictions of the church…Though the city became a haven for christian pirates the past years." She didn't really know what else to tell him. She would have to make things up as she went.

Her family had moved to the US when she was still a child.

"Is this why you asked me here, Lord Oda?" 'To bother me with mundane questions.' was silently added through her eyes to the words.

Shinju Maeda

Somewhere Shinju had forgotten about animosity. At least, from her own side. Surely, Asuga radiated it all the time, and Mitsuhide never failed to remind her to be cautious, whilst Nobunaga's face alone reminded the female of the impending doom there was to come, but that didn't mean she felt the need to label them. Yet. Instead she had seen everything as temporary, something like a bad dream from which she could wake up from, hopefully before June 1582, but even then Shinju hadn't worried much more beyond that.

How did she feel indeed? Shinju hadn't stopped to think of that, not until earlier when she sat down to watch over the rice field and realised that it had also been a while since she had been allowed to be alone. Alone, not lonely, for now she realised that in part she also felt that; lonely.

"It was my decision to come to Azuchi," Shinju started, her eyes rapidly blinking as she felt short from being overwhelmed by her own realisations and emotions. Tonight, she promised. Tonight she would give it all a space, but now it belonged in a corner of her mind, to be ignored. "What is there to lament?" she followed, and this she meant. She had proposed that they hide in Azuchi, for at least the coming two years. That Mitsuhide had picked them up made it all the more convenient. He, along with Nobunaga, wouldn't be there in two years and that would make it all the more easier. Just not to swallow.

What did she plan to do after two years? Shinju knew that she didn't need anyone's permission to leave once Nobunaga and Mitsuhide were gone. The Oda would be in chaos, fighting amongst themselves as well against the rest. It would be so easy to slip away. So easy. And yet two years were a long time and Shinju found herself already more attached than she should be.

"I," the female started, realising that this wasn't what Mitsuhide had asked of her. She had lost the question, but somehow willed herself to remember anyway. Thickly gulping Shinju blinked once more in rapid succession, focussing herself as she released her breath.

"I haven't been giving it much thought. There has been a lot going on." And here she decided to be honest, as honest as she could be. Initially she had wanted to say that Azuchi was a large place, but that would have been a lie. The castle-town, though large for the Sengoku era, was smaller than a modern village and Shinju was a city-girl through and through. Used to lights flashing around her 24/7.

"Everyone has treated me well. Even you, it is strange," she continued her confession, and for the first time she let something of a scoff go.

She definitely hadn't expected humane treatment from sengoku warlords, that was for certain.

Talk is big

"Spain," Nobunaga repeated after the kunoichi, his eyes boring into the female as he crossed his arms. If he recalled correctly that was a country next to Portugal, from where the missionaries came. A large kingdom, he had been told, spawning across most of the European continent. A kingdom where the sun never went down, supposedly, for the sun was always up somewhere.

"Why did you leave? To spread your religion?" was the next question asked, though it was obvious that the latter was not the case. The men who came here on pilgrimage were all different, dressed in robes and crosses hanging around their necks and strange bowl-like hats.

"And what if I'm?" Nobunaga returned Asuga's question in equal contempt. The man never missed out on a chance to set someone off in ire, nor did he ever miss out on the slightest hint of annoyance and hatred, both of which Asuga had plenty of.

"Grant her to me, lord-husband. She amuses me," Kichou spoke up once more and Nobunaga would deny her if this didn't mean dismissing the kunoichi, of which he had no intention of doing so. Neither did he want her in his own employ, knowing that she couldn't be trusted.

"What do you say?" Nobunaga questioned instead, his smirk growing wider as he pretended to care for Asuga's answer. It was amusing enough after all.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide was silent for a while as he walked beside Shinju, letting her words sink in for a little bit before actually replying to her. She dealt with the consequences of her own actions and he admired the simple fact of owning up to them. He had to forcibly do the same thing whenever he followed one of Nobunaga's orders, though sometimes he would find a way around it. Not always, which made him hope that Shinju would eventually find what she was looking for in spite of all the sacrifices she made. A curious line of thought, indeed. Nothing he would ever express out loud, of course but curious nonetheless.

He also didn't fail to notice how she never directly answered the question he asked, though in sight of the words he heard from her it mattered little. A faint smile formed on his lips, it was as fake as the calm expression in his eyes while he tried to sort his own views. "My, I sense a 'but' in your words." He chuckled. "Would you rather me through you and your guard into the dungeons never to be seen again?"

His citrine eyes fell on the door of the inn they were staying at. He reached for it to pull the sliding screen open, but stopped for a moment, looking at Shinju again. "Make sure to take the time and plan your next move for it could carry dire consequences for the people around you if you don't." Was he talking about himself or was it directed at her? Questionable. He had the urge to be honest with her, something he wasn't used to and what could end badly for the both of them. He didn't bring her out here to endanger her, so the mask slipped back in place.
"You should get some rest, little lady. We have a long ride ahead of us tomorrow and you are still not fully recovered." He held open the door for her just a moment and then walked in behind her, nodding towards the owner of the inn who clearly watched them with a skeptical glance, surely because of the Sake flying from the balcony earlier.

Mitsuhide retreated to his room without another word. He sat down at his desk once more once he closed the screen behind him and went back to work. Even though he wasn't in Azuchi, he wished to have some control over his information. He also wanted to send word ahead over their estimated arrival to his contact down in Kii. Shinju's sickness and their little encounter prior had left their time schedule in disarray. An easy thing to fix, but a necessary one either way.

He would not rest tonight, even though he tried. His mind was questioning many of his decisions and while he always made sure he wouldn't regret his actions, eventually the conscience would ask him if he had done the right thing. Thoughtfully he spent the rest of the night hours working, writing letters, coordinating informants, verifying infos gathered, hoping Shinju would follow his advice of a good night of sleep. Otherwise their trip would be a short one tomorrow and they would need to stop again soon.

Asuga

"I owe a life debt to Lady Maeda. I have no interest in religion or spreading the christian belief. Any other reason is not of your concern. My sole purpose is to protect. And if this was your only reason I will leave you to your business, milord. Let me be honest with you about this, since your loyal guard monkey is not around. We both have more important things to do and you trying to raise my ire and make me angry will not serve either of us well. So if you or your wife do not have any further questions for me, I will return to Akechi manor." She couldn't help but carry some venom behind her words. Besides she felt somewhat insulted for being presented with a fake choice even though it was obvious there was none.

Asuga already felt drained and tired and if she actually had a choice she would retreat to the stables and go on a ride with her horse. Maybe she could visit Kennyo again and ease the tension from the last time when she saw him. She shouldn't be upset with one of her few actual allies in this hell hole, besides Shinju that was.

"I'm neither for your nor Lady Kichou's amusement. You are not my liege lord, nor do I have sworn an oath to you. I am here, because you asked me to and I am willing to indulge your mundane questions, but if you are just here to waste both of our time, I will take my leave."
With that, she stared Nobunaga blank in the eyes. Asuga was very much aware that what she just said to the Lord of the Oda was very dangerous and could get her into a lot of trouble but she was not willing to waste any more of her time with this man. Even his wife seemed to be not exactly pleased to be around him. As gorgeous as she was, she wasn't entirely sure she would enjoy being in the company of either of them. She would rather be working with Kyubei, than sitting here.

And that meant a lot considering the hostile feelings she had towards the Akechi vassal recently. Mentally she apologized to Shinju for gambling with their safety but she couldn't take this arrogant pig of a man any longer. "Hijo de puta.", she muttered under her breath.

Shinju Maeda

"The dungeons would make it easier to resent you," Shinju deadpanned the man in his own humour, only possible because the female knew that he wouldn't. "I don't think Asuga's resentment can deepen, however," the female continued with another shrug.

She wasn't sure what to make of Mitsuhide's next words, however. Were they a warning? A premonition to his future plans? Was he dropping hints? Or was he warning her? Or yet another joke?

Again that clamouring feeling in her chest swelled as she realised that the man in front of her only had two more years. Two more years before a betrayal would happen. And then? Shinju supposed that, if it truly was a betrayal, the planning stages would happen soon, but that the idea existed already.

What had his answer been earlier? What exactly had she asked again? Shinju felt her head swirl as she tried to recall, filtering through to see if she could make an argument for Mitsuhide's loyalty, or his lack thereof.

But she was no philosopher, or a judge, nor a psychologist and she could make no claim.

"You too," Shinju said instead after a pause, too long to justify any awkwardness. It was clear that she had been ruminating, but it came out anyway. In this line he had no offspring, it seemed, but that didn't mean there weren't others who could lose their lives.

Whether he had heard her or not was unknown, as the man had already slipped away to be alone. Exhaling, Shinju held her palm against her head, feeling a headache coming up from all of the thinking she had to do.
That day she called it an end early, rising early once more to find the fever gone and no dreams plaguing her mind. There was a stillness within her, a silent acceptance of her fate stuck in the Sengoku era, but yet lamenting the years that were to come.

'Vision without action is a daydream. Action without a vision is a nightmare.'

The modern Japanese proverb had been on her mind after her last conversation with the man and after treating her knee Shinju had taken the opportunity to enjoy the morning cool while jotting down notes in her planner, her watch next to her, gently ticking away the time as she stared down at its hands.

She was quick to put it all away when she heard approaching footsteps, her eyes turning up towards the approaching innkeeper.

"Good morning," he started before rubbing his hands together, concerned eyes turning towards the room next to her, "feeling any better? Your partner's candle was on all night, I heard." The inquiry was one of concern, but also a bit more invasive than preferred, suspicion clear in the voice of the man who feared the breaking of his little peace and source of income.

Glancing over at the door next to hers, Shinju smiled wryly, pulling out a herbal pouch she had prepared before departure as she handed it to the innkeeper.

"If you can make a tonic out of this and then serve it with breakfast," she instructed before getting up from her own space to see the man.

Saving grace
"But you serve the Maeda and the Maeda swore their allegiance to me."

Nobunaga's voice had turned chilly when he looked down at the kunoichi, his eyes turning into that authoritative stone hard look he tended to get and Kichou knew that playtime was over. The foreigner had stepped out of her boundaries when she responded to her own wiles, but it was she, the wife, who had provoked the situation.

"Since your Shinju isn't around right now you have no one to serve. I promise I will treat you better than a plaything," the woman promised, a smile plastered over her face as she eyed Nobunaga.

"After all, it is much better to serve one of your own, don't you agree, lord-husband?" the woman continued as she raised her arm, her sleeve falling over her lap and the floor elegantly. "I promise I will allow you to return to your mistress after she returns." The promise was at large empty, but it was the best she could do to diffuse the situation.

"Now, Kyubei did mention that Mitsuhide left you with some tasks to do, so best go off now," Kichou finalised the meeting, leaving Nobunaga to stew in his own rusted habits and thoughts.

The obvious insult from earlier went ignored as Kichou was sure that nothing good would come out of them. She only thanked the heavens for being graceful enough to spare them Hideyoshi's nagging.

But the couple knew both that Mitsuhide had entrusted no tasks to Asuga in particular, knowing that she wasn't to be trusted, yet. It was a cop-out from the vassal to help the kunoichi, and Kichou for once was glad for the swift smarts of the shadow lurking in the dark.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

The morning came quicker than Mitsuhide would have liked, though he got all the writing done that he wanted there was always more to do in his line of work. But for now he had to start packing. He cleaned himself up and changed into a proper set of clothes intended for travelling. He made sure that the Sake he drank the night before would be gone by morning to ensure not another angry fit from his cherished traveling companion.

He folded all his letters carefully to be sent out later today and started to put together the sparse things he took with himself for travel. His eyes rested on his rifle and the dagger leaning against the wall. Mitsuhide hoped he wouldn't need them again for the rest of their trip. He got up to his feet and stretched his arms, feeling a slight pull at the not entirely healed wound caused by their little battle a few days prior.

He would have to change his bandages before they left so he wouldn't suffer from any further distractions as they moved on.

Just as his thoughts wandered in this direction a quiet knock on the door, the sliding screen to his room opened shortly after and Shinju stepped in. He mentally prepared himself for another lecture, though he wasn't sure if one could see the night spent at his desk on his face. Mitsuhide cared little about how he looked to others. "Good morning, little lady. I hope you slept well." He smiled faintly and returned to his former activity.
He bound all of his possessions he was taking with him into a bundle so it could be easily transported on horseback, except his rifle and sword of course. He would have to load the matchlock before leaving… just in case. "I hope you are ready to move on? We should leave shortly to make up for some lost time. Don't forget to let me know when you grow tired and we need to take a rest.", he explained while busy with his own things.

Asuga

Asuga was tense. She wanted to argue that she didn't serve the Maeda, she only served Shinju as a person but Kichou of course was right. Shinju was not around which meant her only jobs were given by Kyubei and since she was sick for a few days now and had to get back into the swing of things, there was literally no task urgently to be addressed by her, but all of this was pointless when Kichou spoke up again. And no matter the spite she felt for the Oda, in this very moment she was grateful that Oda's wife had taken her side.

The Kunoichi raised to her feet and bowed before them, mostly towards Kichou. "You have my thanks, milady. I shall take my leave." Chiyome would be very disappointed with her, that she let her emotions get the better of her in a dangerous situation like this. She would probably have a huge lecture ready for her former student and more than that. The thought of her mentor was painful to say the least as Asuga walked out of the audience hall, not paying any mind to anyone she crossed paths with.
She couldn't return to Akechi manor just yet.. Instead she went to the stables to spend time with her horse. Nemain was her source of comfort and it made her sad she couldn't take the mare out for rides as often as she wanted to. Maybe she should ask Ranmaru for help and get her to move around a little more. The Oda stables surely weren't has nice for her as the open fields of their home in Kai.

On her way to the stables she stopped by the Mitsumono hideout again, leaving another letter next to the one she wrote before, hoping that one of hers was still out there and could help them. An empty hope for sure.

She did not return to Akechi manor until very late afternoon when the sun was on to settle down for the evening. And even then, she wouldn't go into the building directly but rather sit on top of the roof and watch the town. The very place where she had run into Kyubei on the night she had to give up her cover. She had to think. There were plenty of things on her mind and she wanted a solution for them or at least consider her new course of action…

Shinju Maeda

The smell of the burnt candlewick, accompanied with the sight of the futon unslept and untouched was all Shinju needed to see to know that what the host had told her rang through, earning a wry smile on her face as she turned towards the male, noting the lack of sleep in his face and the faint fatigue clinging at the corners of his eyes.

"I slept better and more than you did," she spoke in response, eyes gliding over the bandages abandoned that were left to change. That was a thing as well, she recalled as she tried to make a quick general assessment of Mitsuhide's constitution.

"Let me help with that," she offered quickly enough, hand nimbly taking over the items from the man as she quickly went down to work, her fingers sometimes tracing over some spots to press into them, hoping to relieve some of the tension there.

"I asked the innkeeper to make some tonics, to preserve energy," she continued in reply, making sure not to note it down as something she specifically requested for Mitsuhide because he had never rested. He would refuse it otherwise.

The three musketeers

"She already went to Nobunaga?"

The man sounded surprised at the exclamation, his eyes slightly widening before slipping into a wide smile once more. "Ah, well, I guess I will wait!" Keiji cheered jovially, and he did.

It had been a long day of waiting, with the Akechi vassal running around in discretion, busy and toiling around with all sorts of small matters whilst Keiji sat around to wait, having brought over some sweets. Even little Ranmaru came around, hope in his eyes that died out soon enough once more at the sight of the tall figure dressed in the colours of sunset.

"She hasn't returned yet?" the young page asked and Keiji shook his head, patting the spot next to him to invite the other over. He was rejected, however, but left with another box of sweets.

In the end it was nearly sunset when some rustling could be heard on the roof, a swift dark figure immediately reacting by stealthily getting himself onto the roof. It sometimes startled Keiji how discreet Kyubei was in his job, despite all the pride he carried in assessing people correctly.

"Lord Keiji is waiting for you," Kyubei's voice sounded, a crow not too far away crowing in response as Keiji couldn't help but note the slight amusement in the voice of the vassal.

"Ranmaru also came, but he left already," Keiji called from his spot, letting them know that they had been heard.

• What a TWIST
Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide purposefully ignored the jab towards his work and sleeping habits. There was no way she would understand what was going on in his head, so he didn't bother explaining and just took it. He settled down onto the floor, sitting cross legged. He might as well take her up on that offer; he would have to redress his wounds anyway. Without any smart remarks or teasing he pulled the upper part of his casual Hakama down. "Thank you, little lady."

He only admitted to himself that he felt a bit drained from a night full of work but as usual, like when he was back in Azuchi, he shook it off and moved on. He sat in silence for a while and let Shinju do her work. He was grateful she did this, no way he could ever wrap his wounds up properly like this. The many scars on his body told of a lot of failed attempts.

He used the time while they ate breakfast to explain the next part of their journey which would lead them further south. The lands there were still controlled by the Oda but not everyone was happy about that so they best kept a low profile and hopefully could travel without any surprise attacks on the way.

"Little lady, I made a concerning observation since you came to live in my manor. I started eating a lot more regularly." There was good humor behind his words as he finished his breakfast and tea. Mitsuhide had no idea what this was supposed to taste like but it made his body feel freshly energized after a whole night of paperwork. "Are you ready to leave?" Despite the little amount of sleep he felt somewhat content this morning, unusual for him but he had come to expect the unusual when Shinju was around.

Asuga

Asuga wanted to stay on the roof until dark and then return to her room and go to sleep, avoiding as much interaction with the Akechi staff as possible. But she should have expected that at least Kyubei would notice her presence and soon she wasn't alone anymore. A look that carried something haunted before she could cover it up met him, though the mention of Keiji's name put her a little at ease.

"What does everyone want from me today?" She let out a deep sigh and looked out onto the town for a moment before getting up from her spot, stretching her arms. Asuga passed by Kyubei without much of a word and dropped down from the roof, approaching Keiji a moment later.

"What can I do for you, Keiji?"

She felt a pang of regret that she had missed Ranmaru. It would have been her chance to ask him about taking out Nemain for a ride occasionally while she was stuck here. Asuga did her best to banish the gloomy expression from her face and gave Keiji a faint smile. He didn't do anything to upset her and he didn't deserve any of her moods.

Asuga sat down next to him and looked almost blanky at the wall. She felt incredibly tired. The day had taken it's toll on her. She could really use a smoke, a drink and a coffee… and a nap. Even though she spent years in the Sengoku period, there were things from the modern times that she still felt missing in her life.