• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Moth to a Flame

Shinju Maeda

The man underneath her startled, his body jerking as he tried to warn his friends and so did Shinju, flinching at the brusqueness in which Mitsuhide struck both men down without mercy and left them to the earth.

"They're alive," Shinju whispered to the man after Mitsuhide passed by her. The consolation was more to herself rather than to the other, and it gave away her earlier intention, revealing that the man's life was never in danger to begin with. However, the two of them realised the mercy they had been dealt with as Shinju quickly knotted the sleeves of her captive's kimono together with his hakama, leaving him in a precarious position from which he had to wiggle out of first.

Raising up the female was about to climb right back onto her horse before she eyed the man down at her feet, a moment of pity rushing through as she rummaged through her own bag secured on the back. Pulling out a bottle of lotion she rolled it to the side of the man who was still struggling from his makeshift binds as the female got onto the horse.

"You will need that when they wake up," she explained when the man sent her a glare, perhaps taking the action in slight, or in pity that he didn't want. Whatever the case, Shinju didn't look back anymore once she signalled to her mare to move, knowing that they had already wasted enough time. Perhaps the fever was making her more sentimental than she ought to be, but the female felt hurt for them all the same.

When they were some distance away and Shinju judged themselves to be safe she produced the tanto into the open again, returning it to the man with the unsheathed blade pointed towards herself.

"What about you?" the female asked, though she found that all of her energy was gone to put into the question, or to clarify herself even. Her eyes roamed over the warlord as she tried to make out any irregularities in movement, perhaps harm. There was bound to be some, she figured. After all, they had been outnumbered, heavily so.

"I packed more medicine just in case," she added, though she knew that of the particular salve she had given away earlier to treat the wounds of the bandits she only had one.

Kyubei
"Easy," the vassal spoke to the kunoichi. Setting down the plate with the congee, Kyubei was quick to turn over to Asuga as he helped rearrange the pillow in such a way that it was easier for the female to sit. Within that same fluid motion he pressed his hand against her forehead as the man measured Asuga's temperature, a frown on his face as he noticed that she was a little more flushed than before.

"You will need to eat at least a bite?" he tried to negotiate, a smile on his face as Asuga pleaded to him to talk. It had been a while since she had allowed her guard to be down around him. "I can tell you what happened in the castle-town for every bite you take?" the vassal continued, the plan suddenly popping up in his mind, though he had planned on updating Asuga on what was going on around her, relating much too well what restlessness there was bound to come when one was stuck in bed for a long period of time.

"I brought some medicine for you, to help with a speedy recovery. You should eat before taking that," Kyubei continued to encourage the kunoichi as he produced a package from his sleeve. Though, the truth of it was that Ranmaru had handed him the package, making him solemnly swear as well to not make Asuga find out that it had come from the page. Strange, for Kyubei couldn't recall when the young male had grown so close to the kunoichi, but the vassal wasn't in any position to question it.

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide narrowed his citrine coloured eyes at Shinju for a moment when she left medicine for the bandits. He didn't kill them mostly for her sake and maybe also for his own. Being around Shinju, seeing her being so unconditionally good hearted, he just felt more like a shadow than before. It was a foolish thought. He did what he had to do. He also knew that she was suffering from a cold. Her eyes certainly spoke of at least a small fever plaguing her.

The ride was silent for a good part until Shinju offered him the Tanto back. He reached for it and returned it to the sheath at his waist. "There is nothing about me to worry for you." He turned his attention back onto the street. "We will stop at the next inn and you will rest there until your fever breaks. I hope you don't think I would not see this." They wouldn't make good progress on the road anyway and none of them would benefit from the fact that Shinju could slide off her horse anytime.

He didn't like delays but this was inevitable.

Mitsuhide himself only had earned himself a few bruises and scratches, a few cuts that split the fabric of his kimono in a few small places. Nothing he couldn't sleep away in a day, if he got to sleep. His shoulders tensed, not in the same way as when he wandered around Azuchi but still on alert and ready to defend himself if needed.

"Did you bring medicine for yourself? Are you hurt?" He was more concerned about her being injured after fighting with a fever. "Otherwise we can request something at the next inn. It should not be too far." At least that was what he hoped. Mitsuhide knew these roads, but he usually travelled as quickly as possible and didn't even bother to stop at an inn to rest. When on the horizon the silhouette of a village appeared, he made sure to pay attention and maybe ask some of the residents.

Asuga

Asuga felt terrible and helpless. She was bothered by the fact that Kyubei had to set her pillow or had to bring her food. She hated it. She wanted to be out and about and ride Nemain into the fields or train with Masamune but here she was… sick.. Because she ran around in the rain like a damn idiot. The Kunoichi inwardly sighed at herself and looked at the bowl of porridge.

She saw the point of the whole thing of course but she didn't want him to talk her into eating just because she wanted to know what was going on in the world outside. But what choice did she really have? "Fine…"

She took the bowl from Kyubei's hands and sat it down on her lap, starting to eat eventually. The food was good, it always was in the Akechi manor. The staff in the kitchen usually did a great job and she really wished she was able to cherish this more without having to fear for a knife in her back. Her amber eyes moved over to Kyubei for a moment, still skeptical of his presence but she couldn't exactly deny his help. She was in no position to.

"Thanks..", she said quietly. "Will you tell me now? I am here at your mercy, doing as you asked." There was pure sarcasm in her voice. She didn't appreciate it. What she did appreciate though, despite her reservations, was the care from him and the whole staff. She didn't like it, but she appreciated it. She wanted Hayate and hug her wolf companion to herself. While continuing this thought her mind instantly wandered back to the forest and the evening spent in peace for once.

Shinju Maeda
Mitsuhide's dismissal of her worries felt like a runin with a wall. Harsh and solid, as if told to keep out and not to proceed. But Shinju felt stubborn and she felt awful, knowing that she was dragging down the mission when he followed on about her fever. Knowing that once more she was not meeting the standards needed to be independent in this era of time. That she was left behind and just dragged along.

"I didn't," she clipped back, her breath sucking in as Shinju realised she was letting herself be led astray once more from what she actually wanted to say, "it is just a stupid fever and a common cold. Nothing I haven't survived before," she continued anyway, feeling that she was slipping up in a way she should not. If only she had vitamin pills and energy shots. They would have helped her so much along with the fever pads so famous in Japan. They would have helped her pretend that there was nothing.

"Just a common cold," she repeated and in here her frustration with herself seemed to express itself as Shinju knew herself to be stronger than this, so why did she keep on losing?

Exhaling into a long breath the female focused on the next question instead, vaguely recalling the medication she had packed as she faced the man once more, this time a little calmer as the adrenaline from before and her own agitation waded away and made place for something more like usual herself.

"I'm sorry," she said, "it was a poor reaction from my side." A sincere apology dressed in generic words, but Shinju wasn't willing to dive deeper into the root of it all. Not now, not here, not with Mitsuhide who seemed to always be a step ahead and way beyond.

"We should find an inn and patch up. I have enough medicine for the both of us and with a night's rest my cold will be gone as well," Shinju reasoned leaving between whether she was hurt or not. She had felt her knee and she still felt it now as she sat on her horse, nothing serious, she knew. Easily treated and right up her alley. Biting through her pain, Shinju instead threw an watchful eye into Motsuhide's direction.

"Wouldn't it be more likely for you to be hurt? There were so many more rushing at you," she mused, taking in the sleeve that needed to be mended, remembering the hit he had taken from the back, "even if a warlord you're still human," she continued as she thought back on how Mitsuhide often worked himself like a machine. Few breaks, little food, no indulgences, how he was still standing went beyond her imagination, but Shinju suspected pure determination.

"You ought to hold a better regard for yourself," the female lamented, the words just rolling out of her as she tried to spurn them into another meaning, but failing, leaving her awkward in the vocabulary whilst she very much realised the hypocrisy in them. Another sigh escaped Shinju who knew that the flush rushing up was not from the fever.

They couldn't reach the village quickly enough.

Kyubei

Age in this era worked differently, but compared to the warlords Kyubei was still considered to be quite young in age. Young enough to be often dismissed, though both his lord and the rest of the Oda forces had quickly learned that the shadow of the Akechi was far from wet behind his ears. To serve a man as troublesome as Mitsuhide a certain set of skills were needed. Skills that Asuga was not washed up against to yet, for she was no lord Mitsuhide and she laid with a fever.

With a chuckle the man gave her an approving nod when she took a bite, barely swallowing it as she demanded her price.

"Yes, very good," Kyubei cooed at her, like a parent coaxing their petulant child and to his amusement he found that perhaps both his lord and Asuga were in a way petulant children he had to rear.

"The castle town has been well, but you will need another bite if you want me to tell more," he told the female with an air of casualty, feeling no hurry in giving the kunoichi what she wanted straight away.

At least there was a lot to tell and Kyubei had patience. More than Asuga had in stubbornness.

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide looked at her, while they were still on the road, his expression indifferent. "I don't know what it means where you come from, but here a fever can have severe consequences and you would do well in resting through it." He turned his eyes back on the way ahead, eyes alert at all times. "There is nothing for you to apologize for. You will rest when we reach town. The world will look different tomorrow." Nothing he actually believed himself, unless others worked for it, this world would never change.

For what it was worth, Mitsuhide was glad they agreed at least on resting in the next inn in town. The building slowly got bigger the closer they moved and people started to follow the road. It would only be a matter of time if someone found the bandits they had taken out, unless they managed to get back on their feet already, which he highly doubted.

"I do what I must. They were not much of a challenge.", he disregarded his minor injuries once more. He would have to change clothes and get this set fixed, however. He shot Shinju a side glance and a smirk. "You worry for me, little lady?"

It was spoken in jest, a mocking of her concern in hopes she would finally stop and care about herself instead so they could pick up the travelling pace. Concern for his well being was only familiar to him coming from Hideyoshi or Masamune but neither of the men, he actually regarded as friends, was very talented in expressing their worry. Though he wondered if the flush on her cheeks came from the fever she was battling or embarrassment.

Silence wouldn't provide him with an answer so he focused on their path towards the next inn. Thankfully it wasn't hard to find and ask questions to the villagers around them, who skeptically eyed the travelling pair from the side of the streets. "We will stable the horses and then you should get some rest. We will move on as soon as you feel better."

Asuga

Eventually Asuga started to eat in silence when Kyubei finished his first part of his little 'city report'. The only thing which bothered Asuga about this food was that her tastebuds were somewhat numb from the cold, she wished to properly appreciate the work of the kitchen staff. "You are evil.", was all she said and continued to eat.

He was not exactly wrong. She would have to eat if she wanted to recover her strength and get back onto her feet. Being sick was nothing Asuga was used to. Even when out on missions for the Takeda, she would avoid putting any dangers outside of her work to her health. But maybe the stress of the last weeks and the emotional burden had also weakened her body.

Nothing more than a theory on her part though.

"I keep eating and you keep talking. Go."

The Kunoichi turned briefly to the side and sneezed into her elbow. A sudden rush of dizziness flooded her mind and she shook her head shortly to regather her awareness of her surroundings. The attentive eyes glassed over by haziness. Her sneeze had been followed by a soft cough. She felt somewhat betrayed by her own body and kept eating with a frown on her forehead.

Shinju Maeda
The world will look different tomorrow. Shinju scoffed at the irony of the words as she remembered what her world had looked like not too long ago. High buildings hovering over her, hard paved roads, the constant ringing of the flute signalling the train, the mass and mass of people surrounding here and the never resting city where cold medicines were commonplace along with vitamins. One to alleviate the symptoms, the other to keep you on your legs and to push through the day without rest. It was ironic that in this era of constant war and lack of human rights she was given the most humane advice of all to treat the cold.

"I do what I must," she mumbled underneath her breath, repeating the words that she could relate to a little too much and suddenly the female felt a little more grateful for the lack of Ruru or Arinamin, for having access to either would mean that she was sure to push herself, and with a fine example of a hypocrite right next to her Shinju felt no need to persist this game of pushing worry off onto the other.

She remained quiet for the rest of the road to the inn, a plan stewing within her mind before climbing off her horse. Grateful for the soil underneath her feet and grateful that she could finally rest, Shinju sucked in a deep breath as she let vertigo take her for a second before she steeled herself, willing herself to fight on for a little longer before rest.

"Mitsuhide," the female called after rummaging through her bag once more as she pulled out some more items. Squaring her shoulders, Shinju walked up to the man with the medicine she had gathered before starting to unload herself onto the warlord.

"The disinfectant is marked with a red string, you only need a few dabs of it on your wounds. The blue one is lotion to help the healing process and against scarring, but should you not want to, I had the bandages treated beforehand as well," she explained before pulling out a last square stack of packages, pulling out one of the pockets she handed over the rest of the stack to the man, "and these are painkillers should that be more up to your style. Dissolve in warm water, don't pair with tea or alcohol."

For once Shinju's eyes sought out Mitsuhide's on purpose, challenging him in the same way he had challenged her before. "Yes, I worry. Naturally, but I will start trusting you as well." Funny choice of words, considering the person she was speaking to, but Shinju left that as an afterthought.

Kyubei

An amused chuckle escaped the vassal as he eyed the kunoichi, a knee propping up as he rested his elbow on it, the younger man feeling rather smug as he watched Asuga eat some more. If only his lord could be this easily dealt with, the man thought to himself briefly before moving on.

"Well, the castle-town is well. Morale is good because of the swift actions taken from our side," the man started, wondering what Asuga interpreted 'our side' to be as he eyed the other carefully for a reaction. "Shinju and you did us a favour by treating the injured," he added along as he continued to edge the waters. "Though, the masterminds still haven't been found, unfortunately."

That was the stump in their investigations, but one of their lesser worries for now as there were more pressing matters to be dealt with. Some of them involve a certain ghost of the past.

"There is, however, news of enemies in the forest," the man dropped casually as he watched Asuga eat. "Scouts from an enemy area," Kyubei continued. His lord wasn't the only one who could lie well, the vassal had a few tricks up his sleeves as well and studied under the best.

"Oh and lord Keiji dropped by. He mentioned something about having found an artist." A drop of truth amongst the many lies he had told, Kyubei was sure that this should cheer the ill up if her mind wasn't geared for work.

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide climbed off the back of his mare, ready to take care of the horses by himself and let Shinju rest, though when she addressed him, he lifted his eyes, one eyebrow raised in question. She didn't give him much choice but to hold out his hands to catch whatever she was forcing on him now. Eyes wide, he just simply watched her until she was done. A bunch of medicine and care for his minor cuts and bruises? Foolish, but he wouldn't refuse her since there was no point anyway.

"Very well then, little lady. As you wish. Now let us go inside so you can rest.", replied with a smirk, staring directly into her eyes.

He left it at that, however, taking the horses to the stable and then bringing their luggage inside. The typical conversation, just as before. Though he had to admit that this innkeeper and employees were not nearly as nosy as the ones before. They also gave them two rooms next to one another and while he didn't intend on sleeping it would give Mitsuhide some time to rest and also keep an ear out for Shinju if anything happened. He also informed the daughter of the innkeeper that his traveling companion was plagued by the cold and a mild fever, asking her to take care of her and bring her some food.

He would care for his wounds, no matter how useless he found it. A change of clothes would be entirely enough. Mitsuhide turned his gaze towards her as they stood at the foot of the stairs. "Would you like to get some rest now? I will be next door."

Asuga

The news somewhat hurt, she wouldn't lie to herself. She would rather see the Oda army crumbling into pieces and their leaders hang by robes from their castle walls. Another thought came crawling into her mind, that not everyone here was as terrible as their high and mighty lord. Keiji, Masamune, hell even Kyubei. They were good people and didn't deserve death, but did the people of Kai deserve it? Did Shingen deserve it? Or Chiyome or Yukimura and his family. Who knew if they were even still alive.

The thought tormented her, as she was eating quietly, hiding away her emotions behind a carefully crafted mask and for a little she felt like she was working again, not sick in bed behind enemy lines. Maybe they should have just let the sick die, right? Not that Shinju would ever agree to something like this, or Asuga would put her friend through it.

"I'm sure you'll find it.", was all she had to offer, since leaving this without a comment would only tell more. Kyubei probably already had his ideas of what she was up to, she wouldn't feed him any more infos. She would never give away anything to put Kennyo, Ranmaru and their people in danger. If she hadn't done so already by visiting them. Thankfully there was a change of subject coming in.

The mention of Keiji and that his search for a tattoo artist finally bear fruit brought a faint smile to her face. "Can't believe he actually did that… That's good news. Thank you." It was genuine. As much as she distrusted Kyubei, it was nice to pass on the message from Keiji. She ate a few more bites and then put the bowl to the side. She didn't eat everything, but as much as she could anyway…

Shinju Maeda

Would he be true to his word, or discard the medicine in a corner and leave his wounds to be as soon as she turned her back? Shinju had no clue, but she knew how to check. Worries for the future, she supposed, though for now the thought of it alone tired her.

By the time they were finally admitted into their rooms Shinju's head felt like it was swimming and the dull ache in the knee on which she had landed had worsened as well. It didn't forebode anything good and the female was glad that she had the foresight earlier to take some medicine for herself, even if it was only a sedative to dull the pain. It would help with both the fever as the knee.

"Hmm," was the only sound she managed to make to Mitsuhide's question, her mind whirring and the words not forming past her mouth. What she actually wanted was to check the man up, make sure that he really did apply the medicine as she had instructed, but it was unlikely that she could do anything in her current condition. Instead she tugged at his sleeve and pointed at the medicine, gesturing that he had to do it.

'Promise', she signalled to the man, pressing her index finger against her lips before bringing the hand down onto the fist of her left hand. It was unlikely that he was to know what it meant, it was a modern language after all, and on top of it American. A bored pastime, but one she had picked up on anyway. 'See you tomorrow', she continued, still half drowsy and unable to communicate. This time she pointed two fingers towards her eyes before turning them into Mitsuhide's direction, followed by the motion of her thumb from her chin to the front as if she was giving a thumbs up. It was a promise that she was going to check up on him tomorrow, if she had the strength, and with that she stumbled into her room, knee still aching a little but at least relieved of some stresses as far as she had communicated them.

Kyubei

Something had upset her, Kyubei could tell from the way she slowed down eating to the way she set down her bowl, suddenly done with her meal, or refusing to eat any further. Was it the mention of their morale or the forest? Kyubei suppressed a smile at that, finding the information telling. Both the lady and Asuga came from unknown origins, but what these origins were had been impossible to trace so far, but now Kyubei knew, the forest held some answers and she was no friend of the Oda.

Which was going to make the next few days after that Asuga healed up all the more harder.

Promising himself to pursue the matter some more and to write his lord a letter with his findings so that further decisions and arrangements could be made.

"If you wanted to look for artists you could have asked lord Mitsuhide. Lord Nobunaga and he are both greatly interested in the arts, though in the end the work would fall onto my plate nonetheless," Kyubei smiled as he made a little joke, hoping to dispel the tension from out of her small stature. It was such a shame that she always grew so rigid so fast, for the vassal did want to grow closer and friendlier with the fellow kunoichi.

"Here, have some of the medicine and try to sleep some more," the man finally told her, handing her the bowl of herbal concoction the kitchen had prepared when they heard that Asuga had caught a fever. "There is no news yet on lord Mitsuhide and lady Shinju, but I expect one to come in soon enough," the man informed her, knowing that this would put Asuga a little easier at rest.

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide's eyebrows lifted lightly and a concerned expression filled his citrine coloured eyes. Shinju really looked like she was dead on her feet, trying to hold herself up when it was entirely unnecessary. He would rather she just laid down to rest. He turned his attention to her face when she lightly tucked his sleeve. Though what she did afterwards was really confusing him.

What by all spirits was she doing? The weird combination of gestures made him question if this was some type of code he just simply didn't understand. He would have to ask her about this the next day and maybe figure out what she was trying to tell him. Instead of now questioning her actions further, he simply smiled lightly and nodded. "Sleep well, little lady."

And so Mitsuhide left Shinju to her own devices, carrying the medicine she gave him over to his own room, sliding the door shut behind himself. He placed the medication carefully on the floor next to the futon and sat down. He looked at it for a while, not sure if he should actually follow her wishes and apply everything himself. He usually would just sleep an injury off as far as it was possible and the few scratches from the fight outside of town really weren't even worth mentioning, but tomorrow if Shinju looked at him and found his wounds still untreated he could probably prepare himself for an unpleasant lecture and Mitsuhide wasn't exactly in the mood to deal with another, prettier version of Hideyoshi.
He went over the medicine once again and remembered her instructions, given to him at the stables. Mitsuhide undressed himself until his upper body was bare in the silence of the room and he started treating his wounds, hissing now and then when he disinfected one of the deeper cuts. It took him a good amount of time to take care of himself and eventually he wrapped up his arm and changed into a different set of clothes, something more comfortable to sleep.

Instead of sleeping, though, he sat at his desk until late at night, finishing letters and writing down information he had in his head. Sleep would only come when it was almost early morning.

Asuga

Asuga leaned back and looked at Kyubei for a long moment, while her amber eyes were still somewhat hazy, she looked his face over and then eventually turned her attention to the wall across from her when he talked about her asking something of either Mitsuhide or Nobunaga. The mere thought caused a shiver to run down her spine. "I want nothing from Akechi or Oda.", was all she said. "They have nothing that could be of worth for me except from blessing me with their absence."
She fell silent then and took the medicine without another word. She just nodded, having no problem with waiting some more for news from Shinju. She couldn't care less about Mitsuhide. Maybe they were lucky and he fell from his horse and broke his neck while they were out.

A moment later she curled herself up under the blankets and turned herself away from Kyubei, feeling a strange heartache. She really wanted to hug Nemain or Hayate. It would make her recover a lot faster, probably. There was still tension in her body, as much as her tired muscles could muster at least.

Sleep took her rather quickly, faster than she would like to, but Asuga was still exhausted and it would at least help her to ignore Kyubei. She wished he wouldn't have turned their conversation around, but that was with the Akechi men, probably. Couldn't say one thing without wanting to stab you in the back. With those final thoughts Asuga fell into a restless slumber.

Shinju Maeda

"Sleep well, little lady." The words haunted her for some reason, the rest of the night going by in a blur as she fell into a deep slumber. She dreamt that night, as one often does when holding a fever. A dream in which she woke up in her own room, in her own house, but it was empty safe for the little bedtime wish ringing through the air. Had her room always looked so sparse and impersonal? Had the flower arrangements of her grandmother always seemed so meaningless and haunting? What about the calligraphy on the wall, and the medals she had won?

Next she knew she was back in the Maeda main dojo, her office open with all of her certificates on display and the pictures of the alumni of the location, the best ones framed and centred in pride. Shinju could name all of them, but when she looked at the pictures all she saw were strangers with strange smiles and even stranger looks.

Had the world moved on without her? Or had she moved on without them?

Shinju couldn't even tell whether she had checked her knee or not before going to sleep, but in the morning when she woke up and felt a little clearer her knee did seem to be less bruised than she had initially thought, though the ache was still there.

Clearer, but not better. Her slumber had been deep and restless and when Shinju woke up to the sun brightening her room and her throat parched she knew that the fever was still lingering, though not running as hot. In the back of her mind her dream replayed but so did the night before, the sparse few details she did remember reminding her of the fact that she had handed the majority of her medicine stash to Mitsuhide.
A good opportunity to check up on the man, she thought as she washed up and pushed herself up, careful not to put weight on that knee.

Three knocks, slow in beat, followed by a call; "Mitsuhide?" Shinju didn't dare to raise her voice, in case the man was still asleep, but seeing how the sun had already climbed she was fairly confident that this wasn't the case. It was rare for Shinju to sleep in, even rarer for the man to sleep at all.

Kyubei

Her answer came scornfully and Kyubei knew that he had lost yet another opportunity to placate the kunoichi, if he had any chance to begin with. It was a shame, but the male was used to the suspicion he was treated with as he watched the medicine go down and then gathered the bowls together, readying himself to leave.

"Might be that soon the opportunity will arise," he answered one last time, keeping Asuga's wish to leave in mind. It was a shame that Nobunaga did not share in that thought, his interest forever unwavering even days after the fever had taken the kunoichi down.

For now the female was his charge, however and Kyubei could only hope that the attitude would change.

Kennyo
"Nobunaga did what?" Kennyo repeated after Ranmaru, the skin around his scar pulling taut as he felt it throb. It often did with the mention of Nobunaga, the pain of the slash that split his mien apart still fresh in his memory. Even fresher were the screams of his brethren slain, and now this.

"He was impressed with Asuga during the dragon boat race," Ranmaru spoke quickly as he let out a lamenting sigh, "it is only through luck that he hasn't been able to summon her yet. She has taken on a fever," the young male continued and Kennyo felt his lips pull into a long line at that piece of news.

The monk had known that the kunoichi had taken ill, it was no surprise really from the way she had woken up and left the temple. But to call it fortune because the devil couldn't summon her, how ill could fate be?

"Let's just hope that demon forgets about her soon," the male sighed, not even wanting to imagine what it was that Nobunaga wanted to summon the other for.

"Do you want me to pay her a visit?" Ranmaru offered an eagerness in his voice that hinted away that he was willing to play messenger boy for the two of them. Kennyo could only give a solemn stare in answer, his expression thoughtful as he was contemplating it himself.

"I'm sure Asuga is sooooooo lonely because Shinju is gone!" the male continued, stretching out his words for emphasis as the monk heaved a sigh, a tender smile returning to the little page as the monk shook his head.

"Best not to give yourself or her away. Just wish her well," was all he said, but it was more than enough to feed the male and earn a beaming smile.

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide's night was not much different from the ones back in Azuchi. The only time where he could completely rest at ease was back home at Sakamoto castle, where he admittedly wasn't quite often these days, being around Nobunaga most of the time. He wrote some letters, one of them back to the manor to Kyubei. Nothing more than a status report. Sleep was nothing he had high on his priority list.

He realised though that the scratches and gashes from the fight the day before were a lot less painful and achy as they would have been without any treatment from Shinju's side. He started packing up his things in the early morning, spending it looking from the balcony of his room down onto the small town and the landscape nearby. Neither had he bothered to change into his everyday clothes yet.

His thoughts wandered to Shinju, who was sleeping in the room next door. From what he knew of the young woman, since she lived in his household, was that she was an early riser. Though things were always different if one was sick. He would rather have her rest plenty and then continue on their road without the possibility of her just slipping off her horse.

Three gentle knocks on the slide door caught his attention, but he didn't turn around, his back still to the door. "Look who is up already. Come in." A faint smile appeared on his lips while he crossed his arms over his chest, watching the people on the street. "How was your rest, little lady? Are you feeling better?" He glanced over his shoulder.

Asuga

The night was plagued with nightmares and visions of the past as it usually was, though most things were somewhat dulled due to the fever. She remembered vaguely some of the faces she used to live with in Kai, some images from spending her childhood in Spain, her brother's laughter and teasing and then most things ended up engulfed in flames. She woke up in a sweat. Feeling woozy, the fever was still present and probably long off from being broken since she never could rest properly. Her body was constantly on edge.

In the early hours of the morning she changed her clothes to one of her comfortable Hakamas and wrapped a blanket around herself. The weather was fine enough so she moved out of the manor and to the garden, where they had shared Sake many nights ago. It offered a view over at least a part of town. She needed some more room to breathe.

She wondered where Shinju was now and if she was alright.

Amber eyes wandered over the rooftops of Azuchi castle town and further beyond that, towards the forest where she knew Kennyo, Ranmaru and their people were hiding. Her concern for the young, fellow ninja had grown greatly since she found out that he was connected to Kennyo. Such a young boy shouldn't be thrown into the stress of spy work and she knew he did all that only out of loyalty to the man who apparently raised him. At least that was her guess of the situation.

The blanket wrapped closer around her shoulders and she pulled up her knees to her chest. She couldn't wait for the day when she was finally able to leave this hellhole here.

Shinju Maeda

Already awake or never gone to sleep? Shinju found it hard to tell with the man. His mask was too thick and he hid his pains and fatigue too well. The worst type of patient to have and to treat, for they would claim to be fine while still in pain, often not even realising how much damage they inflicted upon themselves, sometimes not even realising the amount of pain they were in.

"Judging by the sun it is already the hour of the snake," the female responded, frowning a little at how late the day had grown already, though it was still morning. "How are you?" she continued after, before remembering how fruitless it was to ask the man such a question.

"Sleep is the best remedy for all, not just a fever," Shinju spoke, as if to chastise the man, but she really had no proof for her accusation. It was just a suspicion that he had not slept after all. She continued to move into the room, careful to mind her knee as she knelt down next to the warlord with little hesitation.

The smell of the medicine she had given clung onto Mitsuhide through the faint smell of incense that clung onto him and Shinju was happy for it. It meant he had listened, which was a feat in itself and brought a smile to her lips. But to listen meant not that he did it well and for that to find out she had to look at the man herself.
"Pardon," she said as she gently pulled his collar from the back, examining the skin there as she pressed a hand where the base of his neck flowed into his shoulder blades; a spot where tension tended to gather. "No medicine will be of any use if you don't rest," Shinju spoke, her smile faltering, "you have been seated all night. That you haven't grown a hunchback yet is what surprises me the most," she continued to chastise.

Though, as she tried to imagine Mitsuhide with a hunchback, or as the Hunchback, she found the imagery to be strangely impossible, and that annoyed her. For it meant that he would and could continue to laugh at her even within her thoughts.

Instead she applied some pressure into a particular tense bundle of nerves, muscles and tendons, knowing that it was sure to be felt, perhaps even earning a yelp.

Kyubei

The next day Kyubei found a bundle of blankets outside of the room. It brought a smile to the vassal's face as he put down the plate with yet another bowl of congee and herbal tea.

"Good morning, feeling better I presume?" the man greeted as he produced two notes from his sleeves as well. The man's morning had been filled, busy as ever and now as he sat to unwind he was reminded of another set of tasks he had been given.

"Lord Nobunaga has summoned you as soon as you are well," Kyubei spoke as he handed one of the little parchments scrolled up, "the other is from lady Kichou, who wishes to meet you over tea," he continued, suppressing a smile as he could only guess at the why Nobunaga's wife would insist on stealing away her husband's newest toy before he even got the chance to play.

"You're quite wanted, it seems," was his little tease.

Kennyo

Within one night quite a few things could change. Ranmaru had returned, leaving behind the ominous message that Nobunaga had taken special interest in Asuga and so had his wife.

"Their relationship is strained," Ranmaru had claimed and Kennyo didn't doubt that. Kichou was a noblewoman trapped in a marriage of convenience; just like many other women in this age, but she had stauntly refused to fulfil her duties, leaving the Oda heirless and her a social outcast of sorts.

To have Asuga trapped in a lover's quarrel was perhaps worse than war.

And then there was the matter of the young Keiji and the loyal shadow, Kyubei. They had all taken an unusual interest in the kunoichi, but if this was sincerity or a trap he couldn't tell. The behaviour was too unusual for any predictions.

"Keep your distance for now," he had warned Ranmaru once more, not wanting the young male to risk himself any further.

Mitsuhide

Upon Shinju's words, Mitsuhide sent another glance outside towards the shining sun on the sky, warming the land after the cold night. "It seems that way, yes." He paused, considering if he should answer her question or not, though he refrained from it. Instead he decided to reply with something else. "Your medicine took the sting of the scratches from yesterday's… surprise. Thank you." Curiosity sparked in his citrine coloured eyes as Shinju knelt down next to him.

"Why, little lady, do you think I did not sleep?" She wasn't exactly wrong, but why would he tell her either way? She didn't need to know and worry about him instead of focussing on her own recovery. They had to get back on the road soon, but he wouldn't leave the inn with her in such a poor condition. Though admittedly she looked better this morning. While his thoughts were going their own way, he couldn't help but flinch when she pulled the collar of his kimono away from his skin.

His eyes widened as he turned to look at the young woman next to him, though he gathered himself quickly, hiding his baffled expression behind a roguish smirk and a low chuckle. "If you wanted me to disrobe myself for you, you didn't have to do anything but ask." His eyes crinkled in mirth, though he let her do as she pleased.

And like a punishment for his teasing, Shinju applied pressure to a spot at the base of his neck, having no idea what caused the sudden rush of pain running through all of his body, Mitsuhide couldn't help but yelp and flinch away from her in pure reflex. He turned around and held a protective hand towards the, now very much hurting, spot, narrowing his eyes at Shinju. "What was that for?" Honestly confused, he blinked. First her weird hand signs yesterday and now this. He wouldn't know what to make of it and he didn't like it when he did, in fact, not know something.

Asuga

The tension in her shoulders came back with a vengeance, though it never fully left her, she thought she would at least have a quiet morning to herself. But her recent babysitter wouldn't have anything of that. Kyubei was already here, serving her more food and tea. While she didn't feel hungry, she was grateful for the tea. Though she did nothing but nod towards the man, before reaching for the cup and taking a careful sip.

She sighed at the warmth, listening to what Kyubei had to say. He had been busy as always, she figured. Her amber eyes turned towards him for the first time as he read out what was written on the two notes. She really couldn't escape him, could she? Maybe she could just lay in bed and pretend she was dead, if he wouldn't do her the kindness and kindly kill himself.

"I can't believe I have to deal with both Oda and his wife.", she grumbled to herself, her voice still strained and hoarse. Another sip of tea soothed the rough throat a little. Asuga looked over the notes. "No idea why lady Kichou would want to see me, of all people, over tea. Shinju would be the more plausible choice for that. I'm no one special. I have no interest in meeting either of them." Yes, she was feeling grumpy and annoyed for being disturbed early in the morning, by such news nonetheless.

"I wish I wasn't.", she replied honestly to his teasing, lowering her gaze towards the food, deciding to humor Kyubei and eat a little. "Anything else? Any other duties I have to perform? Someone to murder maybe? That would certainly be a change of pace.." She put down her spoon for a moment, looking ahead over the rooftops. "I will go for a walk today. I can't stand being cooped up in this manor all day. Fresh air will do me good. You will not stop me." With that, she continued eating and drinking the tea.

Shinju Maeda

Carefully selected words and teasing smiles. Shinju had come to know the man as such, but even through her feverhazed mind she didn't catch on the tease, or perhaps she had been desensitised through all the experience she had accumulated, it wasn't the first time after all that someone thought of making inappropriate jokes.

"That's what gives you away," she spoke dryly, giving him another well aimed poke in his lower back, near his waist, as Mitsuhide was occupied protecting his neck. A good attempt, but unfortunately fruitless for him. "Your body tells me you haven't rested, your spine is screaming for some relief," Shinju explained, almost giving the man a nonchalant shrug. She held herself back, just as she hid her smile, knowing that it wasn't professional.

Mitsuhide seemed to be worse for wear than he acted himself to be, reminding the physiotherapist of an athlete nearly out of date. If the man were to continue living like this he wouldn't have long, but somewhere Shinju suspected that the warlord wouldn't mind that. She couldn't help the roll of her eye at that, the thought of it enough to annoy her and now even more so. But that turned out to be a bad decision as vertigo took her. Fortunately Shinju managed her balance, though she had to take a deep breath and blink a few times to get rid of the black spots.

"Let's just admit that we're both mortals and need some rest," the female spoke with a deep sigh as she turned towards the pile of medicine. Nonchalantly she picked up the bottle that would help alleviate swelling as she rolled up her hakama to her injured knee. "Anyway," she started, carefully applying the ointment around the joint, "do you need help redressing any of your injuries?" Shinju continued while she unrolled her hakama once more when she was done.Though the medicine wasn't as potent as modern medicine the salve would have to do for now.

"Since I'm up and about anyway," she offered before Mitsuhide could rebuke her again. "Though your spine seems to be a bigger worry," the female scoffed, and this time she did give him a smile, mentalling adding onto it that her history books had been right about one thing; Mitsuhide was an old man, just in a different way from age. She said none of that out loud, however, deciding that she wasn't going to provoke Mitsuhide the way she always was by him.

Kyubei

"I can believe it," the vassal spoke with mild amusement, "lady Kichou takes a special delight in twarthing her husband's plans within the castle," he supplied, amusement flickering within his eyes. The vendetta between both husband and wife was infamous within the Oda forces, and in some way outside as well, but the couple at least kept it under wraps when dealing in politics, understanding the devastation that could come from there. Privately however…

He didn't say anything else, however, allowing the kunoichi to leave with a cryptic smile as he watched Asuga go. How unfortunate she was. Truly.

Ranmaru

The male, still half a child, had been pacing in front of the manors of the vassals, a little nervous, mostly eager. He remembered what master Kennyo had told him and he tried to keep him to it, but Nobunaga and Kichou were both growing increasingly impatient and Ranmaru as the loyal page actually had a good reason to stand here at the Akechi gate for once. Sort of, for it was nothing he had to do religiously, just inquire to see when Asuga would be fit to see the couple.

Though, admittedly, Ranmaru would much prefer to escort the kunoichi to Kennyo. The two of them got along so well and it had been so long since he had seen anything like the warmth that master Kennyo had emitted when she was around…

"Asuga!" Ranmaru called out excitedly when he noted her appearance from the corner of his eyes. Sharp as ever the male darted over to the kunoichi with a bounce in his step, a bright smile on his face as he waved for her attention. "How are you feeling? All better yet?" he questioned, though he could tell already from her parlour that the kunoichi was still on the road to recovery. Which was good, for that meant that she didn't have to meet either lord or lady just yet. After all, Hideyoshi would throw a fit if he were ever to find out that a potential health hazard got near the lord Nobunaga.

"I was about to run out for some errands, but want to have some dumplings together?" the male spoke excitedly, but he rather hoped that Asuga would catch onto the code that he was trying to bring over. The one that said: let's visit master Kennyo!

Mitsuhide

"How traitorous of my body to give away all my efforts. Sneaky, indeed." His eyes narrowed in mirth, though it was soon to be gone when he lowered his hand from protecting his neck, the pain still radiating from it, and soon he was attacked by another poke. This time it was aimed at his lower back, while not as bad as the pinch to his neck, it still hurt and caused him to flinch away a little more from Shinju.

He was about to speak up again, teasing her or giving her another overly smart comment, but when she looked unwell and seemed to have troubles keeping her balance, he reached out instinctively and held onto her arms. When she found her posture again he looked at her in concern, though it was hidden behind an unreadable wall right below the citrine eyes. She was certainly right, though Mitsuhide didn't really see himself resting or even requiring it, though maybe now that she was still sick he could indulge her to put her mind at ease.

"If you say so, little lady." He smiled faintly and shrugged at her question. "Maybe it would be wiser to think about yourself first, considering that you almost fainted just now." Mitsuhide tilted his head slightly to the side in question. "But if you insist on looking over them, I will not stop you." He gestured towards the medicine he had used the evening prior. "I'm not a doctor after all. Though I have to admit, for a doctor you are rather rough."

There was amusement in his eyes as he settled down more comfortably, watching Shinju for a reaction. He wanted to make sure she didn't spend too much energy on him and more on getting better. "But do not overwork yourself. You still need to get better as well." He reached out carefully and put his hand to her forehead. "Your fever still has to subside entirely."

Asuga

"At least I can approve of her torturing her husband no matter how small the torture is." She frowned when saying those words, no amusement or mirth in her voice. Asuga was serious about this. But it was all she had to say to him for now, leaving her tea finished but the food not so much. She returned to the room she usually shared with Shinju and dressed herself properly in her Hakama, not missing to tie the sword to her waist because no matter how sick she felt, she wanted to be able to defend herself.

Asuga reached for a Haori coat and wrapped it around her shoulders, though spring was warming the air, the cold wreaking havoc to her body left her shivering occasionally nonetheless.

Prepared to head out, she moved through the hallways of the manor, mostly ignoring the staff except for small smiles and nods. These people didn't deserve her bitterness or anger so she did her best to stay friendly. Her smile fell the moment she stepped outside the building and took a deep breath of fresh air. Soon her name was called from across and Ranmaru easily met her eyes.

She felt a little baffled for a moment, but the young man's energetic behaviour and excited mood brought a soft smile back to her lips. "I don't know if that's a good idea. I don't want to spread this cold around…. Neither to you nor to… the people at the tea house." She shrugged, catching onto Ranmaru's hint easily but she wouldn't want him or Kennyo to become sick, though admittedly she was yearning to get out of Azuchi, no matter what time of day it was or how she felt. "Also I wouldn't want to endanger you.." 'Or the others' was silently said behind it because she was certainly being watched.

Shinju Maeda

"Your efforts are ruining it," Shinju deadpanned, feeling quite exhausted though also satisfied with getting a reaction out of the man.

But that was all ruined when her little sway got the better of her and earned a pair of cool hands on her arms. "I wasn't fainting, it is vertigo," she stubbornly insisted, though it was the truth as well. "I'm also not a doctor," the female continued in a bitter tone. Any sense of victory from before was dispelled as she rebuked Mitsuhide's words, though somewhere she was aware that to the warlord none of it made sense without further explanation. And even with because of the strange vocabulary and the loathsome modern concepts to which even she felt quite lost.

Brushing away his hand the female duck away as she gestured at him. "The sooner your wounds are redressed the sooner we're done," she told him, her tone turning distant as she slipped on the mask she wore most often. "Undress your top and lie down on your stomach," she continued the instructions as she picked up and organised the careless pile of medicine, arranging it into an order that made more sense and would aid in more efficient trade. She better do it now, whilst Mitsuhide was still complying before the chance slipped away.

Ranmaru & Kennyo

"We can get you a hot cup of tea and put you in a corner!" Ranmaru quipped back brightly, already glad that he wasn't outright rejected. Everyone seemed to worry so much, but all the male really wanted was for the rest to be happy. Besides, he had his ways, after all the years of serving as a double spy he had to.

But he said none of that as he signalled to Asuga to follow him, a skip in his step and a bright smile on his face as he swayed his arms. "We can pick up some tea from my favourite shop and their sweets and then enjoy them at my favourite spot in the forest!" he exclaimed, rattling off in the 'plans' that he had.

In the end Asuga had no way of protesting, as they had quickly made their rounds like Ranmaru claimed he would, plus some more as the male pulled the kunoichi around on a detour, showing more of his 'favourite' places. It all eventually led them down to a confusing path that ended at a small shrine, a different one from a few days past, but a shrine all the same with a familiar ring of a bell sounding when a grim expression greeted the chattering male.
"Ranmaru, you said to come in discretion," the monk spoke in a surly tone, unsure what to make of the scene of Asuga following his disciple armed with gossip and a box of sweets in hands. Though Kennyo knew that the male meant to be distracting and unassuming by acting silly. A disgrace, for the young man held so much more potential than the childlike epithet he had to suffer under the Oda.

Though, admittedly, it did do the monk well to see that Asuga was up once more, relieved to know that the fever hadn't taken her too far. "I hope you are well," the man addressed her before mentally taking a note to brew them a pot of herbal tea later.

"Oh, but we were!" Ranmaru spoke brightly as he lifted up the box in hands, "I bought your favourites, master Kennyo!" the male changed the topic quickly, making sure to put an emphasis on 'favourites' in the hopes that the other would hear it and catch on as well.

Mitsuhide

He watched her for a moment with mild amusement in his eyes. "Whatever you say, little lady." Was there a point in arguing with her about these things? Hardly so. He would just leave her in the belief and move on. In his eyes she was a doctor, considering the work she had been doing amongst the people of the castle town with her strange techniques that not even the oldest professionals he knew couldn't pinpoint.

"And when do you get to rest?", he questioned as he did as she asked, casually almost pulling down the shoulders of the light Kimono so it would rest around his waist. "Unless you wish to stay in this inn for the rest of our little journey here."

He laid down onto the futon, stretched out on the front. He propped his chin up on the palm of his hand. Mitsuhide certainly appreciated her efforts, but he saw some of himself in Shinju at this point. Disregarding one's own health and care for the sake of others. Quite unpleasant to look into a mirror, if only partly. This simple fact was maybe the only trait they shared.

He would indulge her for now and send her back to sleep or at least to rest afterwards. He still had a few letters to write, which he didn't finish during the night and he wanted to have a look around town as well, listening if someone took care of their bandit friends from the road… If time would allow it.

Asuga

In the end Ranmaru didn't leave her much choice to decline his attempts to drag her out of Azuchi. She would have rather taken Nemain out on a stroll but that was probably too much to ask if they wanted to lay low and for a simple 'walk' too obvious.. She knew the boy was just trying to get anyone possible off their trail. They went to a tea house to pick up some sweets and soon they were on their way out of town and into the forest.

Ranmaru guided her to a small shrine but it was not the little temple hideout she had visited before. It would lessen her chances to see Hayate and meeting her wolf friend would certainly do wonders, but being away from Akechi manor was well enough. The gentle chime of a bell caught her attention, while her reflexes were dulled and her reaction wasn't as fast as usual, she immediately turned towards the familiar sound.

A smile lit up her face for a moment. "As well as I can be. I was meant to go out for a walk until… Ranmaru happened.." The second she finished her sentence the young man instantly started chattering away again, trying very hard. Too hard. Asuga chuckled and shook her head. "Too obvious, Ranmaru. Far too obvious. Try to tone it down a little."

She turned her amber eyes back to Kennyo. "I told Ranmaru I don't want anyone to get sick either." A quiet sigh escaped her lips as she wrapped the Haori closer around her shoulders. "Is everything alright here? Nothing happened since I fell ill, right?" Honest concern was written on her expression.

Shinju Maeda

The first thing she noted was the harsh bruise on Mitsuhide's back, right on the spot over which he had been hit over yesterday. Somewhere in the back of her mind she could still hear the sound of the thud and the sting of pain that must have followed. After that Shinju noticed the smaller wounds and the older scars. Cuts and gashes, bruises and the occasional lesion from improperly healed wounds.

When she moved closer Shinju's frown deepened as she placed a hand flat against his shoulder, fingers moving over the shoulder blades and running over the muscles as she drew them out within her mind. Even like so she could tell the tenseness radiating from the man.

"You should ask the mirror," she retorted, retreating again as she picked up the bottles she needed. "After breakfast," she promised, quickly followed with a; "does this hurt?" when she gently pressed into a spot. There was so much she could feel and see after all, Mitsuhide would have to talk as well, and mostly trust.

Would it be too spoilerish to tell the man didn't have long to live if he continued like this? Shinju knew that he hadn't much longer in the world, and Mitsuhide probably didn't anticipate turning 'old' to begin with. Was it still wrong to try to want to treat him?

Heaving a sigh Shinju retreated when she had patched up his wounds as she turned to wipe her hands on a cloth, suddenly thinking that perhaps a nap would be favoured over food. There were too many thoughts swirling around, too many conflicted interests and emotions.

"If possible," she started slowly, sparing him half her observations, knowing that he was just as aware of them, "try to have someone look at you once in a while," she spoke, selecting her words carefully. "Even if it is just to stick some needles in," Shinju continued, knowing that acupuncture was popular in these times, though she preferred using heat to alleviate the muscles, finding them more effective. But this was about Mitsuhide and he needed to be comfortable with the person and the thought of frequenting them.

Kennyo

Ranmaru flashed both the monk and the kunoichi a cheeky smile as he handed the box over to Kennyo, skipping inside himself as he announced himself to be making tea. A gesture that earned another deep sigh, though one that was endlessly more affectionate than the sighs he had given Shingen, escaping the monk.

"He is still half a child," Kennyo excused the page, though the statement wrung a frown on his face as he thought of how he had a child involved within all this grimy business.

"You don't have to worry about us, or me, we often extend our hands out to the sick when the season comes," he answered, wanting to add in that their constitution was strong and the gods protected them, but falling quiet once more at that thought of the gods. The ones that had abandoned him.

"I will tell Ranmaru to prepare herbal tea, though I'm sure he already thought of it himself," Kennyo recovered himself as he invited Asuga into the small temple in which he was spending his day today.

Somewhere Hozuki came out peeking from a corner, having travelled along on the monk's shoulder after that Ranmaru had called for him. A sense of normalcy in an otherwise very unreal situation and Kennyo managed to crack a smile at that.

"The days have been… peaceful," Kennyo finally answered, looking for the right word before finally settling with that ironically fitting word 'peaceful'. Once more a grimace appeared on his face as he sunk into thought, wondering if there was a storm about to come before he shook it off, not wanting to spoil the mood.

"Hayate has taken your words to heart, hunting every day instead of begging," he added with a fond smile. The wolf only occasionally begged for some scraps, but that was a secret between him and the animal.

Mitsuhide

He was about to shoot her a smart comment, when everything he could do was tense and his mouth snapped shut as soon as he felt her hand on his back. He usually avoided being touched by anyone for obvious reasons and he was also aware that the sight of his back wasn't a pretty one, though where most others would shy away and turn their eyes, Shinju did none and this caused more turmoil inside his mind than he liked to admit. "Nothing hurts." What a lie. He wanted to flinch away so badly.

He didn't give her an answer to her request, though. They both knew he wouldn't let anyone near him and letting Shinju look at his wounds from the confrontation the day before was proof of his own trust in her, which she probably didn't even understand but that mattered little. She didn't need to know.

He slowly sat up from his position and returned the Kimono to it's proper state. While he adjusted the fabric he looked Shinju over with a slight frown on his face. "If you would like to have breakfast, I can go downstairs and order you some. You should get some rest so we can move on." He tried to sound distant, his usual self, unapproachable as always. Mitsuhide stretched his arms. "Off, off, little lady." A glint of mischief and a smirk.

Without waiting for her or bothering with anything else he left the room behind to go downstairs, asking the owner of the inn to bring some breakfast up for Shinju's room. To the question if he would require anything Mitsuhide of course replied with a 'No'. The only thing he needed was to be by himself and sit back down to work, while having an eye and an ear out on the street.

Despite all their difficulties so far on this trip, he was still more at ease than back in Azuchi. He held the sigh building in his throat inside and walked back up the stairs, looking like he didn't have a care in the world.

Asuga

"That he is…", Asuga agreed with Kennyo's words. More than just half a child in her eyes and the thought was almost painful to her. She also stayed quiet when he told her not to worry, she would still worry. A simple cold in this time could do bad things to the people who lived here, she had seen it often enough. Things staying untreated and growing worse and worse. She pulled a face, amber eyes narrowing as she followed Kennyo into the small temple.

"I'm glad to hear that." A soft smile replaced the worried expression she had carried before. Honest relief flooded her mind when she heard that things stayed peaceful for now. There was nothing more she wanted, maybe except separating Nobunaga's head from his neck, than to have all these people stay unharmed.

Asuga caught sight of Hozuki and crouched down, so the weasel could climb up her arm and sit on her shoulder. The scene was almost domestic in a sense. She reached up and gently scratched the animal's head. That she had to go back to Akechi manor almost seemed forgotten. "Hayate better not get lazy." She narrowed her eyes at Kennyo, thinking him mentioning this was just a little suspicious. Though Asuga decided to not say anything further on the matter, already feeling the tiredness from the walk and Ranmaru's unending energy had drained hers majorly. So she settled down for tea, Hozuki still on her shoulder, concerns pushed in the further back of her mind.

Shinju Maeda

It hurt to know that Mitsuhide didn't trust her enough to share his pain with, but she could understand it. There was no reason to trust her, not with the obvious lies and the uncertain origins from whence she came. The only reason Shinju had survived for as long as she had was because of Asuga and Keiji who had covered for her without anything in exchange.

But she didn't pursue it, not wanting to push it. Treatment was, after all, only as effective as the patient was accepting and in this particular case Mitsuhide was unwilling. Shinju would have to try another method to convince the man, but what she still had to mull over. Another day.

Throwing her eyes up at the man Shinju tried to discern his expressions, filing away the masks and comparing them as she tried to think of what would help him the best. She didn't respond to his little taunts, merely watching him exit the room as she let herself fall back down on the tatami flooring, her eyes thrown up at the ceiling in contemplation. But as much as she wanted to think Shinju felt exhaustion overtake her once more, sleep catching up on her as she continued to speculate within her dreams instead.
'You lack conviction,' she heard her father say, or rather, remembered for his voice was all that she heard. She was back in the dojo again, freshly thrown onto the tatami floor by the old man.

'I know,' was Shinju's answer to that, but she never dared to say it out loud. Just as she didn't dare to sound the thought that her dreams had been smothered.

'Maeda, right? Shinju Maeda?' This time she was back on the Kyoto campus, in front of the faculty building, about to flee when a bespectacled man had approached her. She never came to know how he had managed to find out who she was, but none of it mattered as she recalled the class that she was rushing to. Or was it just the experience in general?

She hazily woke up once more with the phrase; 'kneecaps' on her lips, which made no sense at all, but at the same time was everything she needed to know.

Kennyo

It was endearing to see how well Hozuki had taken to the kunoichi, the weasel often not reacting well to strangers at all. However, so Kennyo supposed, by now Asuga was far from a stranger to anyone now.

Though, the mischievous look the weasel threw him had Kennyo half relieved that the weasel couldn't speak, as her constant nuzzles and licking of Asuga's ears seemed like half a conspiracy in which she was giving away the monk's weakness to Hayate's puppy dog eyes.

"He isn't," Kennyo quickly answered, and thought that he had perhaps answered too quickly as he quickly went to check in on Ranmaru, making sure the right tea was prepared before he returned to their guest with a plate for the sweets the male had brought.

"I wanna sit outside!" Ranmaru exclaimed with a smile, picking up a few treats for himself and his cup before signalling for Hozuki to follow. "But you should stay inside, Asuga," the male added with a turn on his heels, "don't want that cold to return, right? Master Kennyo will keep you company!"

Kennyo wondered where Ranmaru had learnt to pick up such singular behaviour. It was most certainly not him, the monk believed and the visage of a certain flirt drifted to mind.

A scowl appeared on Kennyo's face at the memory of his former friend, his mood turning a little sour at the thought that his most prized pupil was soiled by the influence of a man gone.

Mitsuhide

Mitsuhide climbed the stairs back to his room and passed by Shinju's, wondering if she was already asleep or would manage something to eat. The answer gave itself to him when he slid open the door to his room and walked inside, only to find her passed out on his floor. He raised both eyebrows, for a moment a bit at a loss on what to do with her. She couldn't just sleep in his room.

He sighed deeply for a moment and crouched down next to her. "Wake up, little lady. It's time for breakfast." He spoke rather softly, but it was of no use. Neither were the tries with a louder voice or some gentle shakes to her shoulder. Shinju was out cold. Mitsuhide reached out carefully for her forehead and found her fever more prominent than before. She really should have rested earlier and of course he was the one to indulge her. Somewhat irritated with himself he was pondering on what to do.

Leaving her was no option, waking her seemed impossible and he wasn't exactly fond of the idea either. Another heavy sigh and he figured carrying her over to her own room would be better for them both. Shinju didn't exactly weigh much so he had no troubles getting back onto his feet once she was safely in his arms. He looked down upon her fever flushed face with concern and turned, nudging the door open with his foot.
In the corridor he encountered the owner's daughter, who was bringing up the breakfast but Mitsuhide just told her to leave the food in Shinju's room anyway, he would ask for fresh tea for her later.

Once the other woman was gone again, he lowered Shinju on her futon and wrapped her in a blanket, not thinking much about it further as he quickly exited the room, leaving her to rest. He closed the door behind himself and took a deep breath, pinching the bridge of his nose.

He returned downstairs, got himself a bottle of Sake and went back to his room, sitting on the balcony and sipping slowly out of a cup, frequently refilling it. While it wasn't ideal that Shinju fell asleep on his floor, it was good she rested. Sleeping the cold off would get her on her feet a lot faster…

Asuga

Asuga was fairly distracted with petting Hozuki, actually quietly laughing at her antics, the rough tongue tickling her ears that she had to take the weasel off her shoulders and back into her arms, playfully scratching chin. "You cute little thing, aren't you? Yes you are." She had a huge grin on her face and almost forgot about her sickness, or that she was suspicious of Kennyo feeding Hayate too many snacks, entirely.

She felt a little disappointed when the weasel hopped out of her arms to follow Ranmaru. The young boy literally fled outside and with him dumping the 'babysitting' on Kennyo's shoulders. Asuga couldn't help but keep snickering. She took the cup of tea for herself and tried to smell the herbs but ultimately failed because of this damn cold. At least the drink was warm and hopefully would chase away a little bit of it.

It was only when she turned her eyes towards Kennyo that her smile died. She raised an eyebrow in question, worried that she might actually be imposing with her presence here and that maybe she should have stayed in town, not to mention the concerns about bringing Kennyo once more in danger. And while her own thoughts were racing her mouth seemed to be working on it's own.
"Is something the matter, Kennyo? Should I take Ranmaru back to town?"

She resisted the urge to reach for his arm and took another sip from her tea instead. She wasn't exactly in the mood to eat any of the treats prepared but maybe it would be a good idea to eat something so eventually she did.

Back