Mass Effect Mercenaries

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier moved in slightly behind Raymond, keeping an eye on dark corners and hallways connected to the main entryway, upon hearing Raymond yell out he started moving quicker to meet back up with his squadmate. Hearing the question over the radio he chimes in "No...wait, some small time merc company I believe, normally they handle private security among other things for paying colonies...guess they didn't figure there would be this many raiders however...sending in such a small force." Xavier says as he round the corner and trains his own weapon at the turian, keeping his shield up. "As my comrade said, drop it, or we drop you. We don't know if you are who you say you are, until then we have no reason to trust you."

He didn't respond to the Adept- Raymond, but then the sentinel stepped up and spoke. Dex couldn't help himself, and chuckled.

"Certainly I don't look Batarian, cowboy." He shook his head, tilting it to the side, looking at Xavier in disbelief. "We're on the same damn side." Scorn tinged his voice, and as he spoke, he dropped to his knees, slowly, and gently set his rifle aside. Raising his arms behind his head, he then shook his head again, "I'd think Alliance SF could figure something like that out." He said, noting that the man was still wearing N7 tagged gear.

This is why he played it loose, he had no idea these were mercenaries. Not that it made much difference, however he would have been a little nicer had he originally known. As a turian, he holds a little disdain for the systems alliance of humans, though not nearly as bad as most. Just a mild mistrust, finding them ignorant, and self aggrandizing. He looked over the first two who had 'greeted' him. They all seemed decently equipped, but not so well that they appear mercenary. Though from the doorway behind Dex, the humans jogged past the Turian, thanking him, as they ran for the trucks, seeing if they recognize anyone. The salarian stepped out and as the humans would have their guns trained on the Turian, his rapid voice piped up,

"All humans. Some Alliance tags, however others are wearing non-alliance gear... Pirates?" The salarian slowly backed up a few paces

Then it dawned on him. These guys were either pirates, or soldiers for hire. This was not good- this means they would be more likely to just do as they wish with him. However if he saw one of them tightening up their trigger finger, he himself would just drop into stealth, and head back to his transport.

Xvier shook his head and chuckled "Haven't been a cowboy, or Alliance for almost eight years, the N7 was a badge of pride and honor before Turians fucked it up. Ever heard of Blue Suns, they export their services to the Hegemony on a daily basis, for all we know you could be one of theirs. Got some form of ID, can these people claim to be witnesses of your actions before, during, and after the attack on this compound...As to who we are, we're mercenaries ourselves, no group name or anything, just freelancers hired to keep slavers and raiders from pissing off the Alliance and keeping a war from breaking out between the Traverse and the Terminus Systems." He noticed the Turian comply and started walking over, holstering his own gun and deactivating his omni-shield "If I go down, put two in his chest and two inbetween his eyes." He looked down at him and picked him up, letting him stay unbound and free to move, Xavier picks up the turian's rifle and holsters it on his own back. "You'll get it back once we get the noncomms to safety, afterwards...don't worry by the way, I'm not the type of merc to condone torture or heavy handed interrogation on my ship, you comply, we get our info, you can either join up or be on your way." He takes a hold of the Turian's arms at his wrists and calls to the others outside "Few more noncoms and we got a Turian combatant."

Last edited by a moderator:
It was somewhat unnerving when the unknown comm signal went completely dark upon Xavier and Ray's entry, but Shock tried not to let it bother her, and returned to her original task of rallying the civilians. Raising her voice over their worried babbling had no effect, every attempt at a sentence was cut short. She gave up and retreated to her thoughts, trying to think up a better solution. Repairs to the Ice could take days, maybe even weeks, they had to find a way to keep this horde safe and nourished without depleting the Ice's resources. The best option would be to get them off world and out of mind, but as it stood, even that was an issue. It was clear to her that they were low on options, and exhaled just before hearing Xavier's call. His tone was calm, maybe there was no trouble to be had after all. Being forcibly pulled behind Xavier, however, was an unexpected guest. "A turian?", she questioned aloud to no one in particular. Curiously watching the three approach, she waited for an opportunity to speak. "It's not likely he would be stationed here alone, we should treat him carefully...", she warned, then added, "...On the other hand, it's quite likely he brought a working form of off-world transportation... perhaps one we could borrow...".

Harlow was listening on the coms, more noncoms and a Turian merc oh this day just gets better and better. He took a step out of the Mako to see the noncoms acting like chickens with their heads cut off though he wasn't able to blame them as they were looking for friends maybe even loved ones among the others though by the looks on most faces news wasn't good, it rarely was in this situation. He tried to speak and get the group under control but as with Hannah he wasn't being heard or was interrupted every time but unlike Hannah Harlow's solution was rather brash but at the moment they didn't have the time to let the noncoms sit around or for them to wait. He pulled out his pistol and fired a shot into the air, the crack was louder then the noise of the noncoms also getting them all to shut up. "Finally I am able to hear myself think, everyone I know you are eager to find friends and acquaintances but we don't got the time at the moment now I need you all to divide up and file into either the Mako behind me or the transport with my friend over there." He said pointing to Hannah and the transport before looking to Xavier and the Turian. "Where do you want him?" He asked gesturing to the Turian and not using any names, the Turian was still and unknown and the less names he heard the better.

"You're previous service, but still wear your enlisted N-7 tape? Curious." he was being passive aggressive. Deciding to ignore the turian comment, he just sighed heavily. He didn't want this to turn into some sort of dick measuring contest, as Dex was uninterested. Nodding in acknowledgment- he had known who the blue suns were, and their reputations. Certainly not a sterling one, but certainly a group who had gotten things done. Thankfully he had never had to step up to the plate with them.

He stood with the man as he gestured to stand. Dex then watched as he then picked up his carbine, slinging it to his back. "Look. I can tell how this looks. But I'll tell you something else." He lifted his hands, free from the human's grip. "You need to ease up. I've got a transport gunship in less than a minute's flight from here," he paused. "We could help you." His tone suggested that there was an opposing outcome to that sentence, as well. Shaking his head, "I'm trying to be as accommodating as I can. I'm not getting paid by the head with the captives, only by the success." noting that his main objective was not the rescue. "So we could make this benefit both of us." He looked over to Harlow as he mentioned Dex, trying to figure out what to do with him.

Dex wasn't going to play captive, but he also wasn't stupid. The bird could airlift a majority of the captives out in one trip. In a more diplomatic attitude, "How about this: I'll call the bird. You put two of your guns in it as insurance. I'll go peacefully with your CO back to your handler. Both teams profit."

*" Dex, -- -ounds l--- things have ca--ed down on your end. We've got the -----aptives safely aboard. What's your status?" sounded into his helmet, sounding a little more clear than previous. Whatever was breaking their comms was clearing up.

Xavier shook his head "None of my people go onto your ship, the noncoms sure they can go, but my people, stay with me, we've already lost four people, two KIA two WIA, I need the rest of my squad to get my people to safety. Different plan, we come with you, we give you as many as the noncoms your" Xavier couldn't help but smirk under his helmet "gunship, then we take the rest back with us to my frigate...I am not going to force you, but...it would be in all of our best interest to let the noncoms go on the first trip with your ship. We all make sure they get out fine, then we can go on our separate ways." Xavier didn't care that Dex freed himself, instead he shrugged and unslung the turian's rifle from his back. Reaching out with the strap to Dex, he then pulls Dex forward as he grabbed the strap "Callsigns, are Guardian, Shock, Corvus....Saber." Xavier opened a private comm with Harlow "It was the best I could do on short notice." The words sounding like they were an apologetic shrug as he waited for the Turian to either agree or back down.

Reactions: Redsun_Criminal
He nodded. "That'll do. Was only suggesting using two of yours in case you 'really' didn't trust me to actually deliver the cargo."

He grabbed the carbine back from Xavier. "Got it. Guardian, shock, corvus, and saber. Call me Dex. I'll have the bird come around momentarily."

Dex turned around and opened communications from his omnitool. "Alright, slight change of plans. You'll have to come to me. We've got... Plenty of hostages to move, and fast. Just at the north end of the facility..... Yeah.... Yeah.... Two small fireteams of friendlies. Alright...."

He muttered a few other things, and closed communications. He remained in close proximity to Xavier and asked- "If you don't mind my asking. Who hired you for the job?" It was a sincere question. It wasn't all that odd for two interested parties to hire help for similar things this big. But something seemed a little off to Dex, and it certainly wasn't any of the people doing the actual grunt work...

"I don't think he's Blue Suns," Raymond noted. "He's not wearing their colors, and he definitely wasn't shooting first, asking questions never." Raymond had run into them several times during his stint in Eclipse, and that was the impression he had gotten from them. This Turian definitely wasn't giving it off. Raymond also noted Xavier's reluctance to use torture. Good to know what our group will and won't do; I'd do it if ordered, but torture isn't an enjoyable experience for anyone, unless you're a special kind of fucked up. Following Xavier and Dex outside, Ray responded to the Turian's question by brushing it off. "Someone interested in putting bullets in Batarians. What more is there to know?" Aria T'loak probably didn't want her name associated with their outing, and Raymond was reluctant to test bending her one rule. Changing the subject, he asked, "So, anything I can call you by, aside from 'Turian'?"

Dex looked to Raymond.
"Looks like someone's thinkin' out'a the box." He pointed to him, it seemed that *finally these grunts were getting it. He snickered as he turned his body from the Human task force, looking in the direction of where his transport would likely be coming from soon. Still had about half a minute.

Though thirty seconds could seem like an eternity- especially to those who were being rounded up as slaves-to-be.

"Fair enough" He replied to Raymond. "And call me Dex." he nodded passively, before turning his head back to face the south. "Transport will be here soon. We can all discuss logistics and coordinates when they arrive."

(gm post thing)

The mercs shared a scant few words, and before long, Dex's bird came into view. Guardian lead the pack, keeping Dex close and in clear view, while Corvus, Saber and Shock did what they could to rally the noncoms in the general direction of the LZ.

Dr. Richards, the lead researcher, separated from the crowd with two other scientists. Richards got Harlow's attention and stated his intentions, not bothering to ask for his rescuer's permission, "...we're staying behind for a little while. There are some important documents we'd like to salvage from the outpost before we depart". The last few words were barely audible over the sound of landing thrusters, as Dex's ship lowered itself into position. It was around the same size as the Ice, though perhaps with a slightly wider (and most certainly cleaner) hull. It would be tight, but taking advantage of the storage bay might free up enough space to fit everyone somewhat comfortably... It's engines quieted down, and the surrounding grass blew less and less violently, as it completed its final descent onto the clearing.

"Dex", the human pilot called through his comm, clearer than ever before, "Opening the cargo door now. What's the plan?".

Harlow (or was it saber now) sighed as he heard the two saying they needed to stay, either they were to stupid to get the situation or what they were going in again for was highly sensitive. "We can't wait for you two, if you go in there again your're on your own out here." He said hoping they heard him over the thrusters of the drop ship their new Turian friend called in. He got on coms. "Two of the researchers are heading back, they seemed like division heads and I don't think they are gonna be convinced otherwise." Harlow was tired mentally and physically and just wanted to sleep, his use of his biotics had put a strain on his body that he still felt and members of this group he found himself in were dead or wounded already so he really didn't want to deal with a few stubborn researchers with a death wish.

Reactions: Redsun_Criminal
Xavier shook his head "Then we don't worry about them, they are either digging their own graves, or going into an empty building. Either way we've gotta get the smart ones onto this boat and send her offworld fast. Dunno how much comm chatter the main forces expect from this outpost but the longer we wait the worse this will no doubt get."
He nodded to Dex "It's your show when it comes to this part Dex, their in your team's hands now." He looks to the others "It's time to ehad to the Ice, we need to rest and resupply before we come up with a plan, one that doesn't get most of us killed this time." Xavier turns and starts walking away, he nodded and waved to a few of the refugees, keeping to himself but giving a few a small sendoff as he walks towards the mako. "Guess we can use our real names with Dex from now on, unless anyone has any objections."

"I might," Raymond murmured under his breath in response to Xavier's openness with their names. He didn't mind the lapse in protocol; that was common enough in Eclipse. He did take issue with getting on an any-name basis with Turians, and he was still deciding weather or not Xavier was worth following. He knows how to handle himself in a fight, and his planning is sound enough, but he trusts too easily. Just because 'Dex' isn't Blue Suns doesn't mean he can be trusted. He's still a Turian. They may not stab you in the back, but they do bomb you from orbit. "Okay, let's get the hell outta here. Lead the way, boss."

Harlow stood and listened before speaking on private coms. "So we trust the turian and his fellows after having known him for about thirty minutes or so? No thank you, you can keep calling me saber around the Turian for now." He said as he had his head on a swivel, they had stayed here to long and Harlow had lost more than one person under his command due to a ambush after they had loitered for to long so he was weary of a SNAFU situation to pop up.

"Then we keep to callsigns, for the best anyway. Their outfit is small and has no affiliation with Blue Suns anyway, alright, everyone move out." Xavier calls to his group and starts walking away "Unfortunately we didn't get the easy job of refugee evac, we've gotta take out the rest f the four eyes before getting offworld." He looks back and checks on the gunship as it continues it's ascent out of Ferris Fields, looking alright he shrugs and nods to Dex "You should get out of here too, your mission is coming to a close as well." As Xavier finished his sentence, they heard something over the radio, the pilots voice calling out about a surprise attack by batarian forces, two gunships and a frigate tailing it with a few fighters as well. "Dex I'm trying to shake em off, it'll be no problem, aferall who's the best pilot in the system haha." The pilot was confident in his abilities....but Xavier heard the tension behind the bravado, the pilot knew he was in over his head. A shot to his right engine reaffirmed just how fucked he was, the merc captain got on the radio then "Ice do you read, refugee ship being attacked we need air support, Darwin do you copy." Xavier hears Alexandra pick up quickly

Captain I'm sorry but we're grounded over here, the full message must not have gotten through before... I'm sorry sir." Alex knew what was coming next, if it was bad enough that Xavier forgot the tail end of the encrypted message she had sent then...the civilians were going to die. The gunship took another shot, this one hitting the top of the hull, causing it to splinter and crack open, the pilot and crew screaming before the comms go silent, the lasat thing heard were people suffocating as if they were drowning until one final cutoff from the batarians finishing the ship off. The other civilians didn't know what happened due to the distance so Xavier decided it was in thier best interest to know about what happened "Civilians, come with us...there's no help coming back, we'll get you offworld in due time once our ship has been repaired." Xavier cut his outside comm and snorted derisively, this is what happens when unprofessional mercs lead an op. He stands next to the mako "Gunner, driver in the mako, use it to scout and do what it does best on our way back to the Ice. I'll stay with the noncoms, Shock, take the wheel...having you inside teh armored transport sounds like a good idea, Saber or Corvus, whoever is the better shot take the turret and cannon controls, whoever else stays with me keeping them safe...move out."

Harlow looked at Xavier before speaking. "Best if I stick with you boss man, the mako gun was not my strongest forte during my years in the SA and while I am able to use it in a pinch it'd be best if I am ground support with you." He said as he looked over his shotgun and pistol making sure they were in working order, Harlow while preferring to use his blade an biotics was still a surgeon with his firearms when it was needed and he felt that staying with Xavier would require more then his blade...well that and his biotics had taxed him in the previous fight but if push came to shove he would be able to use them again it would result in a harder backlash later though.​

"Big gun's mine then." Raymond said smiling. He was definitely better at fighting on the ground, but he never passed up the opportunity to operate heavy firepower. He leapt up to the hatch and hopped in. "Okay, Shock, let's get this show on the road," he said as he got into the gunner's seat. "Man, it's been a while since I operated one of these things," he said excitedly. "Most Eclipse jobs didn't call for heavy support, and even when they did, I was usually on foot. I mean, why stick a biotic on a big gun when a grunt can do the same job?" As the Mako pulled out of the compound, Ray aimed the turret up, started spinning it around as fast as it went and fired off a few bursts from the coaxial machine gun. "Haha, yeah! Oh man, this is fun."

Shock stared up in the sky, (even though the ship was imperceivable at this point) listening to the entire disaster through her own comm, and honestly didn't know how to feel. On one hand her heart sank from hearing the panic in their voices, her spine shivered as their unrelenting screams were seemingly obliterated by silence. As if the void itself had consumed them on its own accord... On the other hand, however, she felt disconnected from them. Somehow, hearing them over the comm made it all seem far less real to her. Xavier commanded the last three civilians with determination, and indirectly informed them of the disaster. He ordered the rest of us without an inkling of remorse, not sparing a second of respite. It seemed civilians' deaths were nothing more than a brief gust of wind, a minor annoyance to be forgotten. Saber and Corvus carried out his orders with the same resolve. I guess this is what it means to be a mercenary, after all... To be able to place your care and loyalty wherever it's convenient...

Hannah broke out of her trance, pulling her gaze away from the empty sky. "On it", she responded simply to Xavier after a slight delay. Crawling back into the Mako, carefully avoiding the incapacitated (and quite likely dead) bodies of Eagle and Cassius, she took the driver's seat, exhaled, and readied the mako's systems. "Right", she replied to Raymond, her voice somewhat distant. Her mind wanted to wander off again, and so she distracted herself by running a quick diagnostic on the mako's new repairs. Moments later, Ray began cheering and firing off rounds into the sky, obviously failing to see the potential consequences. Rather than asking him to stop, she temporarily disabled the mako's weapon. Once he quieted down, she advised him, "I apologize for... killing your fun, but it would likely be optimal if we didn't alert the batarian military camp of our presence...". Sure, the camp was several kilometres away, and the batarians (having destroyed Dex's ship) probably weren't expecting any more trouble, but Hannah would rather the team played it safe for the time being. Especially considering the loses they've already endured...

(Quick gm thing)

"Excuse me, what?! What do you mean there's no help coming back!?", exclaimed one of the remaining scientists. "I knew it! I told you they weren't worth trusting!", declared the scientist to his right. She then proceeded to approach Xavier as if she was going to attack him. Dr. Richards, in between the two, grabbed her shoulder and gave her a stern look. "Erika, please! Enough of this", he commanded rigidly. Richards looked down, and exhaled deeply. He then met Xavier's gaze, and solemnly stated, "I understand... We'll follow your lead".

Status
Not open for further replies.