Mass Effect Mercenaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier twirled quickly, his hand going to his hip, and his handgun, but he stopped himself "It wasn't meant that we attacked them, it was because batarians have control up there still. It's something we all as professionals should have realized before getting carried away thinking that was the end. Now just either come with us to our ship...or go back to your compound for your documents." Xavier turned and locked his helmet back into place and nodded to Harlow "You sure, I know you took a beating, and had to expend a lot of energy battling that batarian fighter before we got here." Hannah, Raymond forge on ahead of us, scout out and eliminate any hostiles left if there are on the way to the Ice." Xavier watches them drive off and nods to Harlow, jogging at the moment, he wanted to see what kind of pace Harlow could take after his grueling usage of his powers.

Harlow lagged behind Xavier a few feet, he was tired but this wasn't anything compared to N7 training where he used his biotics for days strait without rest and that was before he had gotten them refined to where they were now. "You know we may want to walk, if their are any batarians around out armor is gonna give us away real fast?" Harlow asked. "Also what's up with you and N7, you didn't seem to proud to be IDed as SA by those noncoms back there?" Harlow wanted to give Xavier the benefit of the doubt and here what he had to say rather then unload with both verbal barrels about his apparent shame of the N7 label.​

Xavier sighed and nodded, he took his helmet back off and looked at Harlow, he gave him a wry smile "I was proud of being N7, proudest moment of my life...it was an amazing feeling to be sure, but the Systems Alliance and I had a falling out about midway through my tour. We were celebrating a recent victory against a nasty group of raiders, would've made these guys we're facing look like house cats. Well we're on the Citadel, having a few drinks in Flux, and this turian captain and his boys come over and sit with us at the bar, at first it was alright...we all laughed and shared a few memorable tours to different worlds and skirmishes with pirates and raiders. Then, the turian captain, drunk off his ass, starts talking about how we're lucky for this, lucky to be talking to members of a real military...I took offense but let it slide, kept my boys in check, most of them were N4s and N6s with me being the only N7, and captain of my own cruiser. So I let it slide and just clinked glasses with him and said that seeing as how we're so lucky, our turian benefactors can order the next round... He didn't like that, I guess it was youth that made it sound flippant and snarky, but the next thing I knew I was on the floor and my boys were scuffling with the turians, I get in between the first two I see and, liquored up I ended up using my biotics and shoving both my XO and the turian captain in their chests...you can imagine what a strike with full biotics can do to someones chest, even an open palmed strike. My XO was in the hospital for a few months, the turian wasn't so lucky, where I hit broke his ribcage and one of his ribs punctured his heart." Xavier takes a deep breath and continues

"I knew there was going to be a hearing, I also knew I would probably be court marshaled and lose either my command or my rank...either having to start all over or take early retirement...I was thrown under the bus, to keep our leaders on the council appeased I was not only stripped of my rank, lost my command, and then forcibly exiled to the Terminus Systems, I was told I was lucky, that the turian government wanted me executed...I told em that not only can the turian government go fuck themselves, but so can the SA, granted my CO, Admiral Hackett, went to bat for me during my trial as much as he could, but from the first round...I knew I was done as a Systems Alliance Captain. I'[m not pissed at the SA like I was then, but despite wearing my N7 with pride, even now I still feel guilty for wearing it...like I am not good enough to keep it on because of what happened." He shakes his head and looks forward now, he hadn't told anyone this story since Alexandra asked him about it all before, and that took a lot of coaxing, but Harlow was also N7, and in a way anyone within N7 were brothers, they understood the pain you went through to get that rank, as well as understanding the pride that comes with it.

MAKO TEAM
The mako moved at a great pace towards the Ice, little in the way of conversation between the two still living crewmembers within it's metallic hull. Raymond kept an eye out, using the optics connected to the turret and cannon and took out a few wayward enemies still close enough to the compound as well as inbetween them and the Ice. Hannah just stayed in her own world, barely letting anything break her from her own thoughts. Everyone knew that it all turned into one horrible shit show, and everything was weighing heavily on the team's minds, making it to the Ice Hannah and Raymond dock the mako and get Cassius and Jay to the med wing. Back 'safely" with the ship.

Reactions: Redsun_Criminal
Harlow stopped to listen to Xavier before he spoke again. "Well damn that's fucked, though it wasn't what I was expecting I thought you were gonna tell me about how you were a former N7 on the run from SA for something like being set up and made out to be a traitor or something along those lines. Don't take what i'm saying as me not being sympathetic to what happened, fuck politics man. Though your N7 status has no real baring on the situation, sure you could say that you should of known better but when liquor is involved nothing is ever certain but at the same time we both know as biotics that we should only use our powers if we intended to kill something BAC levels non withstanding. But hey the past is the past neither of us are able to change that and look on the bright side, you could be rotting away in a SA brig or on a turian execution ground rather then here humping it in the middle of a rather questionable mercenary mission...well I think this is a better situation then what you could be in.
But in all seriousness you're N7 till the last breath leaves your lungs and until that time you are going to deal with pain, loss and anger but you will endure, after all that's what we N7 do, endure no matter the circumstance."
He finished with a pointed look at Xavier to remind of what they were...bad motherfuc...I mean N7 spec ops.​

Raymond spent the trip back thinking about their situation, whenever he wasn't gunning down stray targets. He started outlining a rudimentary plan in his head. Best way to defeat you enemy is to cut off the head, so first we find a command post or take some prisoners, get some intel from these four-eyed bastards to find their boss. Hmm, maybe we should get some intel on the lay of the land first, maybe find some civilization and download some maps, blueprints, schematics, whatever. Hell, with the situation on the planet, we could probably get away with hacking the whole damn city. Best leave Shock to that... and on that note, there's something I should ask her....

When they arrived at Ice, Raymond helped the crew unload their casualties. Hannah seemed distracted and before she had a chance to wander off, Raymond called out to her. "Hey, Hannah." He purposely used her real name to get her attention. "You're not like everyone else here. Harlow and Xavier I had pegged from the start; we're all career soldiers who weren't squeaky-clean enough to fight for the 'good guys'. But you, you're shy, and not because you're afraid to get to know people; you're afraid of people. You flinch, you panic, not things a soldier does. So, what's your story? With skills like yours, you'd be a nice fit for a tech firm or a mech manufacturer, so why are you shooting people for money instead?"

Shock simply stood aside, and let Raymond deal with the fallen mercs. She would rather not have to help stabilize a couple of half-dead (quite possibly dead) soldiers, and it didn't appear he needed much help. Plus, the Ice could probably use an early diagnostic. Clearly, being here wasn't the best use of her particular talents, and so she tried to slip away unnoticed...

"Hey, Hannah"

The words hit her like shots to the back, guess she wasn't getting out of this so easily. Turning around slowly, she held her helmet tighter against her side, and listened carefully. She knew this conversation would come eventually. Raymond brought her flaws to light without flat-out calling her out as being inadequate. Yet there was something in his voice, or something in her head that made his underlying statement seem to be: 'you're not fit to be a mercenary'. And, frankly, he would be right. It's no secret she wasn't battlefield material. As to why she was a merc at all, it came down to necessity...

(Optional background info) [spoili]
In the few years she spent on Omega, she got herself into more trouble than she cared to admit. At first, it was tech support. Fitting in was difficult, of course, and she was paid a fraction of a fraction of an equal cut for the repairs she did at various factories and shops, but enough to keep her alive. It didn't take long for a less-than-legal businessman to notice that her affinity with tech was far from ordinary, and soon she was doing hacking jobs for a myriad of petty crime groups and their associates. 'Shock em' was the phase her contacts would send her after giving the address to the databank or comm signal of their rivals, she was able to do most of her work remotely, and no one knew whether the name shock was in reference to a single hacker or an entire team of hackers. Either way, she was something of a ghost to many of the lesser-known crime sects of omega. Her employers grew greedier, however, and soon she was placed out in the field. Breaking into most omni-tools to steal info/credits required her to nearly touch her target, and so her work forced her out of the protection of isolation. The crowds of omega were her only cover, and she was nearly caught on more than one occasion. Sure, she probably signed up for more jobs than she needed to, but creds seemed to be the only means to build a body for Roger, and find more information on the SSV Nero... which were her primary goals. As tides turned and allegiances shifted between the gangs, Shock's identity was revealed to a few of the people she afflicted, and soon it seemed members of both sides wanted her dead or captured. That's when Hannah found refuge in an abandoned apartment, where she would hide out, and avoid making her presence known (online or otherwise). A few persistent gang members nearly found her location, constantly forcing her to disrupt their communications and create diversions. On top of being hunted, Shock's funds eventually chipped down to almost nothing. The opportunity to join Xavier's mercs quite possibly saved her life. It was a way to get the hell off Omega, make enough credits to never have to return, or a chance to die trying.
[/spoili]

The struggles she faced on Omega went over in her head. She looked up at Raymond, who was waiting for a response, brushed the hair covering her left eye then stated simply, "I, uh, made some enemies on Omega". Although she miserably failed to convey any of the details regarding her life on Omega, she hoped he would know enough about the place to understand...

Last edited by a moderator:
"'I made some enemies on Omega' she says, 'so I became a mercenary to avoid getting killed." Raymond laughed out loud. "Lady, you're a piece of work," he shook his head in disbelief. "I just hope you can hold your own in a firefight. I'm not dragging any dead weight across the battlefield, you get me?" Raymond let her go after that and busied himself with checking his equipment and going over the proto-plan in his head. So, step 1: get recon data, step 2: get intel on enemy leader, step 3: find the boss and shoot him, like, 46 times. I mean, why shoot him just once?

Reactions: Dakota K5
She listened, but didn't react to his words. If by 'hold your own' he meant 'keep your head down until the killing stops', then yeah, she could hold her own. Watching the deckhands move Cassius and Eagle Eye away, and seeing as there wasn't much else for her and Raymond to say, she wandered back towards the exit of the cargo bay. A strange feeling swept over her while walking towards the door, a feeling that she's never actually seen any of these miscellaneous crew members before... but surely that couldn't be true... She shrugged it off as nothing, and made her way back out onto the damp grass that blankets Ferris Fields.

Hannah summoned her omni-tool to begin analysing the ship's external hull damage. Somehow, the ship looked even more beat up than it did before. She expects getting the Ice out of disrepair by the barest minimum standard will probably take in the range of 3-7 weeks, even with the help of any other engineers that might be on board... He sure won't be happy to hear the news, but Shock figured Xavier deserved to know the situation asap, and sent a report to him via omni-tool:

Initial Diagnostic Report: "Ice"
[spoili]
-Port wing: Significant fracture, possible loss of structural integrity (likely collided with something on the way down)
-Port landing gear: Broken joints. As a result The ship settled on a 4 degree tilt
-Lower-starboard engine: Missing armour panel, heavy damage to electronic components (fire damage)
-Upper-starboard engine: Total structural failure (appears to be caused by explosives)
-Upper-starboard hull: Large tears in the armour (caused by mass accelerator shots)

Repair notes: external resources required
Estimated completion: 3-7 weeks
Other notes: Looks like we're going to need another way off Ferris or dig in for a while. Fortunately, (based on the damage) internal systems / crew have likely remained intact.

[/spoili]

Reactions: Grothnor
Xavier and Harlow made it to the compound with the last of the scientists, the mercenary commander having a change of heart and felt that they should at least save the few remaining refugees, rather than leaving them to whatever fate they would have alone. Gathering the Intel they needed, and wiping the rest, the scientists and the mercenaries continue their trek back to the frigate. Xavier and Harlow grumbled to each other over private comms about the lack of brains these people had and kept them moving at a decent pace towards the Ice. It took about half the day but they finally reached the ship, ushering in the refugees and getting themselves into the ship, the bay doors close up (apparently they are the only ones that can be used now due to the landing joints being damaged), Xavier motioned to a couple of people to take care of the refugees. He then started moving towards the elevator and took his helmet off, he waited till the doors closed and looked at Harlow "Options, what are our options with taking down the rest of the batarian slavers on the planet, from what I could tell we are more than a little outgunned at this point...side note, I'm tired of scientists needing to go to X place to get Y thing it's annoying as hell." he taps into the ship wide comms "Ground team assemble in the messhall, we'll debrief and consider our options. Alexandra join us as well."

(Here is the collaboration post between myself and @Clyde)
----------Hannah-----------
Hannah scanned over the damage report again, and sighed. For now, this was about all she could do for the poor girl.

A wave of exhaustion swept over her, as she recalled the days events... The anticipation, the gnawing anxiety, the staccato of the Mako's machine gun, the harrowing screams of batarian soldiers... Only several hours earlier she was camped up in her lowly apartment, back in the good old days when undertaking a life-threatening job with a bunch of mercenaries was a very safe distance beyond her range of expectations. Would she rather be out here than alone and afraid back on Omega? It was debatable, considering the casualties the team has sustained, but the thought crossed her mind nonetheless. The Ice did, after all, have a decent bed she could use. In fact, she figured she could probably put that bed to use right about now.

She stepped back into the ship through the cargo bay, barely noticing (but still noticing) the ship's 4 degree tilt. The crew must have cut the generator's capacity or turned off anti-grav to save power, and she certainly didn't blame them.

The halls of the ship were eerily quiet, she thought she could even hear bird calls from outside. Hannah reached the elevator and jammed the button repeatedly, the med-bay was visible down the hall from where she was waiting. Her eyes caught on to Eagle Eye (or Cassius') feet and calves, he seemed to be lying down while a couple of medics circled around him. There was something about the medics, the way they paced slowly around the room with their datapads, they seemed too calm, too unconcerned. She wondered whether or not that was a bad thing...

*boong* The elevator sounded in front of her, reclaiming her attention. She stepped inside and signalled for it to go to the dorms floor.
*boong* The elevator sounded, and the door slid open. She tensed up as a couple of crewmembers brushed passed her expressionlessly, and walked somewhat faster to her dorm room near the end of the hall. Hannah stepped inside, waited for the door to slide shut behind her, then let out long sigh. She instantly dropped her helmet, began wiggling and tugging on her left glove, then bracer. After an arduous few minutes, she removed all of her armour, and winced when she saw her own raggedy looking shirt in the mirror. She must have been doing work on Roger before the mission. Right on cue, she heard a shifting sound from the closet. Hannah paced over slowly, almost tiptoeing. Another shifting noise. Slowly reaching out her hand, she slid open the closet door...

"Good Afternoon, Miss Mallory! I'm glad to see that you are still in proper-functioning condition", the geth exclaimed from his crouched position in the closet, his voice as mechanical as ever. She blinked, not sure what she was expecting to find on the other side.

"You too, Roger", she stated, while ruffling through the closet. Most of the contents looks like pairs of work clothes meant for the crew, and there didn't seem to be anything of note... that is, until a certain set of clothes snagged her interest. She held the hoodie with both hands, awe-stricken, and admired it before hastily putting it on. Adjusting the sleeves, she seemed to bounce a little before working up the resolve to face the mirror. It was perfect.

Now that she was comfortable, she figured she deserved a good snack before her nap. There was something so grounding and calming about fulfilling basic needs, not concerning herself with the perils beyond these steel walls. Stepping outside the room, she made her way to the mess hall.

-----------Fritz------------ (Earlier that day...)
Good plan,

In the rolling lights of the Afterlife, with the pulsing music, that got into your veins. Too bad it was the same music, on loop over and over again. He was starting to get the DJ didn't know anything else. But he digressed, as he watching a group enter the VIP section of Afterlife. He wondered if they knew how suspicious they looked, he was sure by the look of them they were mercenaries.

And, he wasn't invited?

He was a little hurt. He was curious as to what could be going on. But his own machinations lead to disasters in the past. He was watching between the poles and Asari's legs, till the individuals left. Well this was an opportunity time to figure out what they were doing.

He set down the serving tray onto the bar counter. The Turian bartender looked at him.

"I'm taking off earlier, and taking my vacation hours," he told the Turian.

"You don't even work here Fritz," the Turian, everyone around here just called him Scale, "you just help. Because Lia'oni brings you everywhere."

"Isn't help the same as volunteering and isn't volunteering the same as job, Scale?" Fritz asked.

"The hell are you going on about?" Scale gruffed.

"Don't mind me," Fritz told him.

"I try not to, your head is as loose as a bag of sand," Scale waved him off with a hand motion.

"Tell Lia'oni I love her,"

"Yeah, yeah whatever Fritz,"

Except that he was off. A group like that, with the look of murder and menace would easily catch him spying in the ventilation staff. If he tried to drop into their private party, so he'd go ahead and do it the other way around. This place was his home, and there were a lot of sons of bitches in the darkest corners he knew willing to help him out too.

Though this was an easy good plan. Instead of spying on the already conversation happening now, it was to sneak onto the ship. Ducking into the shadows, Fritz put on his helmet. And began to walk to the docks of Omega.

He loved the smell of Omega. The smell over burnt overdrives and garbage, really gave him a tingle every time he smelled it. It smelled like nostalgia. And he was at that point that whenever he smelled cheap booze, sex, and blood, he'd always think of Omega.

One of the Kernel's lackies, Wong, was standing near the docks. Clearly doing something illegal with his omnitool. He simply moved swiftly from the dark, to the open, standing right next to Wong. Who gave him a slanty eyed expression of annoyance.
"For fuck sake After Dark, what do you want, if the Kernel sees me talking with you, than he's not only going to take your other arm, he's going to make sure you're dead, and I am beating to a pulp," Wong huffed with a semblance of more than just annoyance.

"To be fair, you're the one running your mouth, we didn't have to talk," he responded, "All I need you to do is point me to a ship, that landed here, oh I want to say, maybe twenty, thirty minutes ago."

Considering Omega was a shit town, most people didn't land here unless they had a purpose. It wasn't that hard of a request, but just in case Wong needed some extra help. He took a shoddy photo of the people walking in.

"Presumably with any of these fucks, or the major fuck," he said pointing to the dude who came before all of them, with an earlier photo.

"Yeah I seen him," Wong grumbled, "It's that one. Okay. Just get the fuck away from me After Dark."

"Thank you,"

The Bad Plan,

Presumably anyone normal person would have already found him. 48 hours later and it was starting to get bored watching reruns of Krogan Space Love Me. Krogans were the least romantic, least sexy things in the world, and yet, they managed to create a poorly written, amusing soap opera. That has been running since he was twelve. None of the Krogans were sexy and they were just as poor actors, as the script was poorly written.

He guess he could give the gang of murderous blood soaked mercenaries a break. Considering in the last couple hours of yesterday. A ship and a Geth crashed landed into the cargo bay. Not literally. Metaphorically crashed the party. He felt it wasn't a good time to come out, so he stayed in the cargo bay closet. That the bad plan.

He got stuck in a cargo bay closet for 48 hours instead. Except the now gang of zealous murderous blood soaked mercenaries were out, doing some Death Dance Party mission. So, he considered the crew around here was snoring. And getting tired of dried rations from the closet. And being hot and sweaty. He began to take a run of the place.

Sneaking around was what he was good at. Others were tell him a infiltrator would have been a better practice for him. Some sniper rifle fuck in the distance. But Fritz liked the idea that he was an idiot in the eyes of his enemy. An Adept who didn't know what the hell he was doing.

He ended up in the mess hall. Funny how he never got why they called it a mess hall. If they had ingredients, he'd make something while everyone was presumably doing the Bullet Dance. He didn't know when they would come back, but perhaps a cake would lead them to believe there was someone else here.

He had learned two things with all of this. One, hiding in cargo bay closets was a fun good idea, yesterday. And instead today, he had all kinds of weird kinks and sores and cracks in his muscles and tendons because of it.

It was a nice idea for one, to try and make something. Problem was, he wasn't a very good cook and most of his diet consisted of whatever credits they could scrap up for the night and to get some noodle bowls. This was beyond his skill level of hot water and noodles. Already made into a tasty broth for him.

He was looking over his omnitool. For cake recipes. Except he was staring at a pound of ingredients he didn't know, what was what.

"What the fuck is flour!" Fritz huffed, Lia'oni had never made anything by hand herself, since he could remember. It sounded dumb, that everyone knew all of these foreign ingredients, but he was dumb to it all.

Hannah was still in a state of bliss: the feeling of fresh clothes on her back, the mysterious yet noble 'n7' badge on her chest, and the protection provided by the quiet confines of a ship's interior. It was as if, at this very moment, she wasn't on a beaten-up mercenary vessel that crash landed in the middle of a backwater terminus colony being ransacked by batarian slavers....

No. Right now there was only her, the Alliance hoodie, the gentle hum of the ship's environmental conditioner and... the sound of incessant rummaging from around the corner. One of the crew members perhaps? Hannah trotted carefully, putting her back against the wall leading to the mess hall and listened...

Flour... yes, she's heard of flour before, though she's never actually seen it in person.

Hannah revealed herself from behind the wall, hoping to offer assistance. "Uhm... did you check the-", she started, just before it clicked. Their eyes met, and she got a sudden jolt down her back. The rags, the hood... This guy most definitely wasn't one of Xavier's... but that would mean...

An intruder.

"I uh- you don't... I mean uh... I'll be going now", that's when the panic set in. She had to tell Xavier, Harlow, someone. Her chest was on fire, she wanted to run, get out of the mess hall as fast as she could, but she didn't want to alert him, she didn't want him to see the fear in her eyes. Bumping into the wall while back-pedalling, she redirected herself towards the exit...

-----------Fritz------------
Bad plan number three, getting caught. Bad plan number four, getting caught and being turned into swiss cheese. In a feat of acrobatic movement, he jumped over the mess hall counter, almost like he was splitting through energy in the air, landed softly and ran after her.

Her detour into the wall, allowed him to cover the exit moving swiftly and fast.

"Hey now, let's talk," he said with a smile, "Don't be alarmed. I am not armed." he laughed at the play off of words and tried to smile, "I was making you and your crew a truce cake. But it seems I'm at a lost of cooking skills. See not a badguy. A good guy. Bad guys don't make cakes, they make bombs."

----------Hannah----------
It was quite clear this guy wasn't exactly... okay. Something about bombs inside cakes? She wasn't sure. "I-I need to be going now, please, I", still trying to dodge the situation. She exhaled with a quivering breath, and turned to face the other way. Lifting her apparently trembling arm, she summoned her omni-tool. There's no way she came this far to be killed by some madman...

"Wait!" Fritz called out, "Wait. Please before you kill me. I have a very real reason why I am here."

Here went something. Let's see if his name meant anything outside of Omega. Or he was going to be cut down by, air head Jane.

"I am After Dark, and I was hurt that I was invited to the boom boom bang bang dead dead murder party," he said, "I saw you guys in the VIP section of Afterlife. And Judging by all of your appearances, you're mercenaries. Very murderous bloody ones at that."

So, why was she afraid of him? Actually his logic was beginning to become head scratching.

An aspiring mercenary? Maybe... it would explain a lot, but she wasn't ready to take any chances with this guy.

Originally, she was going to contact Corvus, but instead she decided to amuse his little story for now. Setting her omni-tool to overload, she backed up against a few kitchen cabinets and held her right arm facing 'After Dark' and supported her elbow with the other. She didn't know much about call signs, but After Dark sounded a little abnormal.

"H-how did you get here?! Does Xav- Guardian is he aware of your presence on th- this ship?", she stammered inquisitively, failing to sound very threatening.

And people questioned him? Was she a mercenary or a scared girl? He gave her a squint of one eye, almost a half wink, in confusion. Was she even sure she belonged here? He finally fixed his face before, cracking his knuckles and smiled again.

"I snuck on board," he responded, maybe a bit too proud of that one, "but you guys were busy with Geths. And ships with annoying pilot thieves. And then you guys went outside for what I could only describe as a murder party. So I didn't bother to show up, but after 48 hours of eternity in a closet I needed to stretch my limbs."

His eyes, his expression, they unnerved her more than she cared to reveal. She felt the need to back up further, but she was already pretty much sitting on top of the steel cupboard.

If what he's saying is true, that would make him uninvited guest #3 at this point (or was it #4?). Moreover, It seems like he's aware of this, and apparently proud of it.

"It-", she began speaking as she shook her head, unable to resist a chance to correct another person's logic, "It's been 7 hours and 54 minutes since we departed from Omega". She informed him in a neutral voice, hinted with uneasiness, while her overload remained readied towards his chest.

"Fuck!" he practically shouted, "It's only been 7 hours. My cramped muscles would have told me different."

He felt like the kid who wanted to have a sleepover at a friends house and slept in their closet because they didn't ask their parents. Oh wait, he was exactly that kid.

He took a second.

"Why are you uneasy? Look, I am going to be honest here, if someone wants to kill you, they will do it," he was reminded of certain events as he said it, "if they don't attack you, then they won't kill you. No one waits to kill someone. Someone who waits is someone hesitating. It's the same with fights, if you have to take off your coat or your earrings. You weren't prepared for a fight. You're stalling."

His energy seemed to settle because he was starting to become annoyed with her. He didn't show irritation on his face, but he could feel it inside of him.

"You were invited by whomever invited you for a reason," he continued, "but you seem the less prepared for this than anyone else on here. I am disappointed. I thought you guys on this ship were something super cool. I mean mysterious meeting between mysterious shady looking people is usual awesome. But...."

He reflected a gaze at her up and down.

"...bit of a disappointment right now," he said, "you guys have anything to eat here that I can heat up?"

It's always the same story. First Raymond and now this guy. 'You aren't fit to be a mercenary', yes, she gets it. Hannah heeded his words, and unfortunately, he was probably right about everything. Feeling more exhausted than before, she lowered her arm, realizing he probably isn't a threat... and she probably isn't much of a threat to him.

"I'm the team's engineer and tech specialist", she responded, and looked down at her attire, "and I'm not usually this unprepared".

Knowing he will find the others to be much less... disappointing, she sighs half-heartedly, then mumbles to herself in response to his question, "I don't know but save some for me".

While watching him rummage through the food storage, she sent a message to each of the other mercs via omni-tool:
We have another uninvited guest, seems docile for now, goes by 'After Dark'. We're in the mess hall, I'll keep you updated.

----------Fritz-----------
Was that an excuse to behave the way she did? It wasn't that she didn't have the characteristics of a mercenary. It was that she didn't have the characteristics of someone who wanted to live. Who valued her life in any shape or form. If he really wanted to. If he really was a murderous, unhesitant killer, he would have done so.

Hasn't she seen the movies? It wasn't that she was a bad mercenary because she didn't behave like a mercenary. She was a bad person because she didn't value her life. He was watching her, whether or not she realized it.

"You telling your friends?" he asked her, "How long do you think I have? You going to warn me so I can get my mask, right?"

Maybe even his gun. Maybe this was their tactic. Use, useless sex appeal to disarm him, so they can turn him into swiss cheese. He had unwarranted danger. If he had wanted to cause harm, he already would have done so.

Someone who doesn't behave characteristically violent is treated with more suspicion than someone who was being open about who he was. That was the setup for a punchline, wasn't it?

"You have a name?" he asked her.

"Shock", she informed him in an even tone, watching curiously as he sifted through various cabinets and drawers. Sure it was pretty far from what one would expect for a name, but 'After Dark' wasn't any closer. Crossing her arms and leaning against a wall, she looked composed. Although, in the event that he spontaneously changes his mind about remaining non-violent, she was still mentally prepared to fire an overload at a moment's notice.

"Why smuggle yourself onto the Ice? I mean, what are you looking to attain? Being here, that is...", she asked, still vaguely defensive. Hannah was forced into joining the mission as a result of poor circumstance, and based on the complications they're now facing, she wondered why anyone in their right mind would just volunteer. Then again, the term 'right mind' might be too generous.

It had just dawned on her that After Dark must have experienced the Ice's entire air battle as well as the ensuing emergency landing. Their ship crashing was more than enough evidence to suggest things were steadily moving downhill, let alone the casualties they've sustained... She didn't understand why he was still bent on joining the so-called 'murder-party'.

He was rummaging through things. He had a sense of responsibility to the garbage heap that was Omega. Not all of them looked like they were from Omega. Though that wasn't a lot of the real answer. The real answer was a bit more complicated than that.

And to be fair they weren't really doing their job very well. Considering all the hell that went on before he met "Shock".

"Honestly, I really didn't have a reason why I came here specifically if that's what you're asking," he said, "I just came because I was curious and wanted to know what you guys were up to. Besides you were in my territory."

That answer didn't quite sit right with her. Curiosity is what inspires people to learn, or experience new things, not willingly put oneself in harm's way. As for them being 'in his territory', it wasn't like mercenaries were an uncommon sight on Omega, it didn't make sense that he would trail them with this much fervour...

Regardless of his motives, the team had no reason to trust After Dark at the moment. Perhaps Harlow and Xavier would have a better chance getting reasonable answers out of him, even if that means taking somewhat of a forceful approach. Plus, if he really is being truthful about all of this, Xavier would be the one to determine whether or not he was worth keeping.

"I'm going to contact my, uh, employer, and call him here to meet you", she began slowly, then explained, "I'm quite sure he will be better suited to address your... concerns". She paused for a moment, before adding, "and I'm certain he has a few of his own...", her tone remained neutral, if not somewhat cautious, as she tried not to make her proposal sound like a threat.

Of course reasons couldn't be simple. They had to be complicated. People couldn't accept the nicer reasons, they couldn't accept simple reasons gift wrapped into their laps. They had to seek reason for something deeper. Honestly he acted on impulsed. Like an excited child would have and now he was regretting the move he made. He had no complicated answers for her or her crew. He simply was here because he found it fascinating.

Isn't that enough right there?

No because complicated, damage, and hurt people always sought deeper, darker reasons. But look at him analyzing all of this when he came because he wanted to know something darker and deeper of their reasons.

"Well just tell me when they are coming, cause I have to get my mask, and can you keep my face between the just two of us," he told her, not really asked. But he'd appreciate keeping his appearance as lowkey as he could. Even his real name was earned with more trust.

And right now he was being looked at like an object for conspiracy. Something he was not.

She wasn't exactly sure why she would need to relay his face to the others, or what was glaringly wrong with it. He didn't look bad at all, quite the opposite, if she was being honest with herself.

"I don't expect it to take long, likely 12 to 15 minutes", she muttered while sending the message to Guardian:
Get up here ASAP. No cause for alarm, yet, but It would be best if you evaluated our guest for yourself.

This whole ordeal could have gone a lot worse, she figured.

Pacing left and right with her arms still crossed, Hannah got a clearer view at his armour, along with his mechanical arm. Everything about him suggested a man who's been through more than a few bad experiences, and it could help explain his particular quirks.

"You mentioned Afterlife and the surrounding area was your... territory? I presume you live on Omega?", it was more of a question than a statement, she couldn't be sure whether or not he actually lived there, though she intended to find out. More than anything, she was interested to know how he got by on Omega, something Hannah herself undoubtedly struggled with...

Fritz cheered, holy noodle cup. He had found one after scrounging through the cabinets. He didn't know whether that was his luck or if this belonged to someone, but it was now his. Now he needed to find hot water. He heard her question, he wasn't sure how much he should give to her. Though he felt bad for her, being the weakest link of her team he presumed.

So he'd throw her a bone.

"Yes, I did, your observational skills are something to wonder at in a good way," Fritz kind of snort giggled laughed, but quickly fell back to his state of lethargy as he roamed the kitchen around for water.

'After Dark' seemed quite a bit more concerned with his new-found noodles than he was with her... or the current state of the mission.

Finally he spoke. She took careful note of his words, especially the fact that he chose to say 'did' over 'do'. His use of past tense served as a reminder that the team may never return to Omega, a possibility she'd been trying to bury from her mind. Omega was also her home, and despite how its nightmarish qualities, it felt strange knowing she might not return. As for his other comment, she couldn't tell whether or not he was actually complimenting her observational skills. They were above average, she gathered.

"Hmm...", she seemed to lose herself for a bit before speaking again, "There might be some leftover rice or potatoes in the pot by the sink by the way". "Two of our mercenaries did some cooking earlier", she added quietly, the mere memory of their food made her feel warm. For a very brief moment, while looking down at nothing in particular, she broke out into a half-smile...

A message from her omni-tool brought her back to reality. Xavier had arrived, and he wants everyone to rally here in the mess hall. "This should be interesting", she mumbled to herself, before speaking aloud, "It seems you have received a chance to meet the whole team at once... they should start arriving any minute..."
tl;dr Another uninvited guest has been revealed and was caught trying to steal food from the mess hall. Hannah is unprepared and expects the worst, but after some questioning, it seems this shady character just wants in on the action...

Harlow-interaction: Xavier, Fritz-Mentioned: Hannah
Harlow listened to his current leader with a nod, he waited until he finished making the ship wide call. "Well I got some ideas, it may be difficult to do but if we do it we may be able to wipe their whole base or operation out in one go." Harlow's idea was a little out there but it was spawned from a memory from basic but he would wait until they got to the meeting hall to go into detail. He sighed as he ran a hand through his hair, the sweat and weariness from the day made him feel just a few decades older then he was and the drell brain matter that had dried on his helmet and torso didn't help.
He walked or more like half stumbled from fatigue to the mess hall with Xavier somewhere behind him, as he walked in with his face covered in blood and dirt he saw Hannah and one other, one other that he hadn't seen before but Harlow was a little to tired to care. He walked across the hall to the refrigerator passing by a bowl with some ingredients in it...looked like someone was attempting to make a cake of some kind. "Well it's a half way cake at least." He remarked before grabbing a biotic targeted drink similar to the old Gatorade drink from earth except this was made by the Asari for biotics, he hauled his ass over to a seat and opened the drink before taking a large swig before looking at the new guy. "Sooo, imma guess you were a stowaway and my lovely friend here *He said pointing to Hannah* found you trying to make that? *Pointing at the "cake"* Well I for one can't wait to hear this story." Harlow finished as he was finally able to relax today.​

(Scientist post thing)

"Erika get to the med-bay, see if there's anything you can do for the fallen mercenaries, Nathan I need you to sort through the data we salvaged, I'll meet up with you afterwards", Dr. Richards commanded to the other two survivors. "ah... Sir", he began speaking to Xavier, not sure what else to call him, as he followed him down the corridor. "I'm coming with you to the briefing, I might have some intel your boys can make use of".

Reactions: Dakota K5
Raymond went to shower after his confrontation with Hannah. It had only been a few hours but it already seemed like a long day, and it was bound to get longer. He let the warm water ease his tension and mind. Stepping out he saw he had an unread message from Hannah on his omni tool. Well, if Shock hasn't been killed by this guy, he probably isn't here to kill us, and if she has, well, that saves me the trouble of deciding if he needs to be shot, and spares us a liability. Gathering his gear together, he joined up with Harlow and Xavier as they went to talk to their new guest. Raymond kept his barriers up, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.