Masks of God

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
William so loved the rain at times. Before the rain came, the shadows created by the clouds made both a challenge and an opportunity to photograph things in a new light. While it was raining, the world became dull and the wetness drew a feeling of melancholy across all things. Then, when the rain ceased, it was like a hide-and-seek to find the best pictures of how the droplets clung to things before everything evaporated and he would have to find new sources of inspiration. He had been out in the rain for a while now but the chill was growing too demanding. He placed his camera away, promising himself to check for any water damage once he's out of the rain. There was a coffee shop close by, a perfect place to get some hot mocha. Maybe then he would head on to the library and hit the books to study for his next exam.

He passed by two women on his way to the shop, a place where he was a regular at. He recognized one of the women as a person who came here from time to time but the other was wearing an odd kind of mask. Did they come from a theatrical event? William tried to remember if there was anything involving masks. Maybe a side-character in something, for he couldn't remember any play featuring masks or in a setting in which masks would be used. What he wanted to know was that why would she continue to wear it? Normally props were left in the theater... He wasn't about to go questioning strangers, it simply wasn't his way. He could, however, watch them.

William ordered a nice, big cup of hot coffee, settling on a table by the window but not facing away from the two women. His fingers settled on a mask. Who would honestly leave their prop around so carelessly? He carefully pocketed it to present to the theater staff later. In the meantime, he focused his efforts into checking his camera for water damage while at the same time keeping an eye on what he assumed were theater staff. If they stayed, he may present them with the mask...

Waves of panic were slowly enveloping Crystal. Walking into the coffee shop didn't help matters either. A stranger - who was now in the store with them - had noticed the mask on her and gave her an odd look. She wanted to get the prop off of her but she didn't want the public to see her horrible make up either. God damn it that was the last time she would ever that stuff. But she shouldn't be panicking. I mean... Her face was hidden by the mask right? And she was getting cupcakes. The mask wasn't even hurting her face.

Cupcakes.

Beautiful delicious cupcakes.

As they ordered, Crystal inhaled deeply the scent of coffee and sweets. It was a calming smell, and addictive.

"What would you like ma'am?" Asked the cashier.

"Um... Could I get four cupcakes please? And a large coffee, with extra cream."

The cashier looked slightly surprised at the quantity of sweets, but rung up the order. The cupcakes came together on a small plate, gorgeous as ever.

four-cupcakes-enjoy.jpg

Behind the mask Crystal gave a small smile. She hadn't had these in so long. Her tongue longed to lick up the frosting and bite into the soft moist cake. While waiting for her new friend to order - she would be considered a new friend right? - Crystal looked around for a table for them to sit. Instead she opted for the large puffy chairs to sit on. They were comfortable and as Crystal sat, the chairs sank slightly. It was almost like being swallowed up. The stranger was right, the atmosphere and the cupcakes were helping.

Casting a glance in the direction that Crystal was looking, Deirdre saw one of the regulars to the shop looking at the mask with a puzzled expression on his face. This seemed to put Crystal on edge, which Deirdre regretted, since this was supposed to be a therapeutic and maybe even cathartic trip to the coffee shop. Deirdre loved everything about the shop after all, the friendly baristas and the decoration, the smells of sweets and coffee, and even the name. She chuckled suppressed a chuckle when she saw all the beautiful cupcakes on the platter and moved to the counter to order for herself.

While Crystal had ordered , Deirdre had folded her umbrella and now she wished that she had set the journal, pens, and mask on one of the delicate little tables.
Smiling to the cheerful woman who stood behind the cash register, Deirdre inhaled deeply. She would let her nose tell her what she wanted. After a few seconds, she and her nose had come to a decision.

Lemon%20Berry.JPG

"I'll have one of the lemon berry cupcakes and a hazelnut coffee, please" she requested cheerfully. To take a few bills from her pocket, Deirdre had to set her things on the counter and fumble with some change. She was given a cute little platter with her cupcake placed at the center, which she proceeded to half-juggle all the way to where Crystal was sitting. Gratefully, she set down the umbrella next to a chair and set the journal and nearly forgotten mask on the table next to her cupcake.

"This place has the best cupcakes... oh, your coffee is probably almost ready." Deirdre tapped her chin with one finger, unsure of what to talk about now.

With an uncharacteristic frown Jak looked at the girl. He felt annoyed at her sudden curiousity but then, as if a cloud lifted from his thoughts, he flashed her a wide smile.
"It's what I tripped over," he explained and held it out to her, "don't suppose you know anything about it?"
Jak wondered if she did; she was showing an unusual interest in it.

Satrina took it with gentle fingers and looked at it very closely, then nodded as if to answering her own question. She set the mask down on the table and reached for her messenger back, she opened it and took out the mask she found not so long ago. It was purple and at the time she thought it was perfect since her favorite color was purple after all." I found this...while I was working" she handed it to him and shrugged not knowing what to make of it."Pretty strange,huh?"she asked looking at both of the masks.

While heading home, Connor walked by a female and male talking. The female was holding two different masks. He overheard the part of her finding one of the masks while at work. Hearing that causes him to stop and turn towards them. "You found a mask while at work? I did too." He spoke. He reached into his coat and pulled out the mask. He showed it to both of them. "Found that behind some books where I work." He did not bother to mention the book that he had in his pocket. He had only met these people and had no idea if he could trust them.

He blinked as he felt the urge to put the mask on. There it is again. Why do I suddenly feel like wearing the mask? he thought to himself. He looked at both of the people now in front of him. "If you are interested, could we go somewhere to talk? There has to be a reason why people are finding these masks." He looked at both of them. He wanted to get dry but also wanted to see what they knew.

"..." William debated with himself. He fiddled with his camera. The situation was, he has this mask. As far as he knew, this isn't his, and there are some ladies in the same room as he. He had a good reason to believe that they may know who this mask belongs to. They seemed awkward now and maybe he could go say hello to break their silence. He could present this mask to them, then they may recognize it. That way, he wouldn't have to deal with this mask. However, he'd have to overcome his own shyness. What if they felt he was hitting on them, or being creepy, or worse? On the other hand, if he didn't, he'd be stealing a mask that wasn't his. He couldn't simply leave it out either, that'd just be passing on the problem to someone who may be even more clueless.

With a quick puff of breath outwards, William put away his camera bits and takes a sip of his hot drink. It was a plain attempt at trying to calm his nerves but he found that it's not calming anything. So, instead of letting his anxiety get to him, he decided to just go for it. He walked up as politely as he could. "...Excuse me, I noticed you had a mask. Are you from the theater or something? I think I found a prop that's been left around here." He puts on his most nonoffensive smile.

A strange shiver touched Jak. He had been about to say to the girl that them finding the masks could merely be coincidence when this boy had come and he too had found a mask.
"I-I-" he did not know what to say, and tried to sort out his thoughts.
The impulse came again- to put on the mask and a slight frown creased his brow.
"Yeah, we should talk about this. It seems all too much of a coincidence to me."
Not to mention the strangeness of wanting to put on the mask that he was feeling stronger than ever now.
"Where do you recomend?" he said, looking at the boy.

Satrina at the mask she found even when the new boy came to their table. Her face could show that she was deep in thought. What does it all mean? This is like a puzzle that needs to be completed but...Shaking her head she looked at the boy that have arrive and nodded to him."Yeah, we should go somewhere more private..."she said and looked at the mask again. What if I put it on? I really want to...Slowly, she trailed her fingers on her mask and grabbed it. She opened her messenger back and put it away for the moment. Then she slid Copper's mask towards him and sighed."This is really strange guys"she whispered looking around hoping to get a hint.

She blinked, roused by the thought of her coffee being ready. About to leave the comfortable seat, Crystal paused in her actions. The stranger from before stood up and moved towards them. Slowly and cautiously, she sank back, watching. What could this man possibly want? Was he here to admonish her for wearing something so silly at a coffee shop?

No they wouldn't, it's a goddamn coffee shop.

The stranger spoke, asking if their masks came from the theater. Crystal breathed a sigh of relief. At least the man wasn't critizing her looks. That was always a good sign.

"Um no," she replied, soft spokenly. "I found mine in the rain. The reason it's on now is well because... My make up was running and I didn't want to look like a hot mess." Gently she ran her fingers over the edge of it. "It fits really well though, like it was made for me."

She didn't mean to add the last bit, it was really just an after thought. But the statement was true. It did feel like the mask was meant to fit her.

"Try it, put yours on."​

The regular at the coffee shop, someone that Deirdre had seen around a few times before, approached the pair of them before the girl who had become her companion - Deirdre realized at once that she hadn't even asked her name - could move to get her coffee from the counter. The unknown third person held a mask in his hand as well and asked them, having seen the mask on the other girl's face no doubt, if they were from a theater production. The girl replied in the negative, musing about how well her mask fit her and encouraging the others to try their masks on as well.

Lifting the mask that she had found, which seemed to be made of beaten gold, Deirdre examined the curve of it and the holes for the eyes. Impossible that such a dainty thing could fit on her face, let alone perfectly. The gaudiness of the gold, which sparkled faintly in the light, seemed to contrast with her overall personality and she wasn't certain if she wanted to wear this particular one. A glimpse to the mask in the regular's hand though made her appreciate the gold one more. There was something familiar and pleasing to her about the gold one at least, whereas the mask he was holding appealed to her not at all.

"I found mine in the rain too" Deirdre added quietly, tracing the edge of the mask with her fingertip. Deciding that there could be no harm in trying, Deirdre pressed the mask against her face. The smooth metal seemed to hug the contours of her cheeks and the mask was not cold or wet as she had thought it might be but rather it felt as though it had been held lovingly close to body heat with its mild warmth that seemed to radiate from it. The holes for the eyes aligned perfectly with her face, allowing her to see perfectly. Removing her hand, the mask remained where it was, held in place as though by some invisible will.

"How curious..." she remarked, tilting her head down to see if it would stay on her face.

Layla sat in her window seat staring out angrily at the rain. Ruin, just... ruined. Her perfect day had been ruined by the rain. She was supposed to be outside with her friends, with that guy she had agreed to date for a week and a half. Enjoying a good lunch paid for by him, and then a movie, a ride on his awesome bike. But now she sat inside, because he had called and canceled.
"Don't want the bike to get wet, fool! Borrow your fathers car! What kind of guy pays a girl to date him for 10 days and then cancels. Urgh!" She threw the pillow she had grasped in her arms, held up to her chest by her knees
at the large picture window in front of her. Screeching she flopped back onto her bed which was pushed right against the window seat. Tossing her arms around she blew the hair out of her face and sat back up suddenly. Glaring at the rain she threw the window open and clumsily climbed out the window door. Somewhat falling onto the deck she giggled stupidly and stood up throwing her arms out and spinning in chaotic circles. Stopping suddenly as she became sick she leaned over the railing and closed her eyes as tightly as possible.
Breathing slowly in and out for a bit she opened her eyes and gasped. "What in the world?" There about five feet from her in the tree that stood next to her house, was a strange tiny wire looking mask. Tilting her head as though a cat were watching its prey she looked around trying to see if someone had put it there. How would a mask get in her tree in a rain storm? Oh well, might as well take whats hers. As she slowly threw her leg over the rail and straddled it she tried to reach out and grasp the tip of the mask with her fingers. Her entire body was soaked now and she knew it would take her hours to redo her hair and makeup. But hey, she no longer had anywhere to go right? Sighing heavily as the mask seemed to be just out of her reach, she hurrmphed loudly and grabbed onto the nearest branch. Climbing her tiny body entirely into the tree she finally reached up and grabbed the mask with her fignertips. Only to watch as the wet mask slipped her grip and fell to the ground, gently sticking into the wet dirt. Dramatically throwing her head down she screeched again and climbed carefully OUT of the tree and back to her deck.
Stomping and grumbling the entire way she walked back through her window, across her bed, out through her bedroom door, down the stairs, across the entryway and out the back door. Her mother yelled to her from the exercise room as she passed. "What's wrong My little Lotus has some one bothered you again?" Layla merely made a grumbling noise slid the back door open and slammed it closed. Her mother would forget she had even asked.

28546_121136297911132_114243861933709_203293_2055045_n.jpg
Slowly walking across the small patch of grass to where the mask had fallen, she crouched to her knees and examined it with her bright eyes. It really was weird that such a tiny pretty mask was somehow in her tree. What did it fall from a plane or something? Looking up she blinked as she tried to stare through the few raindrops that got through the tree's leaves. Then she realized, too much of the tree was in the way for it to have fallen. Maybe the wind had blown it there? Gazing back down at the mask, her pounds of make up was running down her face and neck, she grabbed one of her lip rings and chewed on it for a moment.
"I might as well." With that she picked it up and held it in her tiny manicured fingers. It actually was quite heavy, not heavy enough to weigh down her hands, but heavy enough even a strong breeze couldn't have lifted it that much.
Returning to her room she sat on her bed pulling her knees up to her chin. What on earth was this? And how had it gotten in her tree?

William had to admit, he was a touch off put by these events. He liked to believe himself well rooted in reality, however the chances of three strangers meeting in a coffee shop, each with a mask from which no one had an answer to its origin or purpose... It reminded him of the beginning to an over-the-top anime or something like it, with magic and muscular teenage boys yelling at everything. Of course, something of that nature doesn't exist in reality, regardless of how hard one may dream such a thing could never come to be. As the girls placed on their masks he gave a subtle smile. "You two look good in your masks. Would you mind modeling for me with them sometime? I'm willing to pay." He tried to make his offer lighthearted and almost unserious but at the same time he was careful that it could also be interpreted as legitimate. He didn't want to push these ladies, but the masks really looked very natural on their faces; this was the kind of opportunity he should be careful not to miss.

With that on the table, he now had to debate putting his own mask on. It felt cold in his fingers and he didn't want to feel the burn of that cold on his face. At the same time, he was curious about if the mask would fit itself onto his face as perfectly as that of the girls. William adjusted his glasses a bit, wondering how this could also affect his vision. He could in fact see without his glasses; however, he was near-sighted in one eye and would rather avoid being without his glasses. He felt they fit well on his face. There should be no issue with trying it just for a moment, right? It was for pleasantries' sake. So William took off his glasses, placing his black mask on.

Surprisingly, he felt no bite of cold metal on his skin. The change in temperature was almost soothing, not unlike as if he was blushing. He didn't feel as if he was blushing at all, so it was a bit strange. William felt suddenly rather displeased with this situation, although he couldn't pinpoint why. "... I probably look fairly silly, don't I?" He asked, trying to make light of the situation to curb this sudden unpleasantness.

The gym was silent, only a few calls of instructors to there trainee's. The cage surrounded with hovering people all screaming to get their voices heared. The mat covered in squirts of blood, the job would be hard today for the janitors. He could just imagine them already, showing up with there rags and dissinfectant in their hands, bending down to scrub clean the trouble Lace himself had caused "You shouldn't have let me in the ring with the kid" He seriously stared at his short stubby manager, Jones. Jones had been with Lace forever, he saw hope in him when Lace couldn't and still can't see it in himself. The kid Lace got put in the ring with, Louie Admar, had it coming. Walking around like he owned the ring, that stupid confidence that landed him with a kick to his throat. Louie was lucking Lace didnt snap his neck like he wanted too.

"I realize that, but that anger you control is making you a millionare, so what if the kid almost died, he shouldnt have been in the ring with you. Slade the Blade" Jones chuckled and took off his hat, revealing inches of thick wavy curls, marred down by sweat over his brow. Slade the Blade, that was Lace's nickname, Jones had found him in an alley way when he was twelve, fighting with a few Nineteen year olds. Apparently Jones fell in love with Lace's fighting ability on the spot. Slade the Blade, however was unlike Lace. Lace wasnt violent, calm and collected when he wished and was open minded. Only in the ring, did he turn into a Blade. Wiping his face, Lace sat down and waved his right hand "Admar did give me a swift kick in the chest" Lace felt his chest with both hands, only a scar, a mere scratch to what he gave Admar. "Jones, I'm out of here, call you in the morning" before Jones could protest, Lace stood up and vanished into the locker room.

The air was chilled and brisk. Two things Lace loved, sprinkles of rain collected in his neck long hair, and on his black tight shirt. He never liked jackets, felt they constricted him so he never wore them. The street was lined with tall coner lights, and the lights of the bars and resturants he passed. The Gym was across from the pier, where Lace liked to stare at the water rushing back anf forth from the shore. Touching the railing, he watched the water carry sea shells to the shore, helping them get lodged in the sand. A peticular shell caught his attention and he squinted in the mist to figure what it could be. He heaved his body over the railing, landing on his feet, glancing up quickly at the pier Twelve feet above. That did a number on his legs. Looking for the strange shell, he recovered it, shiny and black. It felt cold and as he picked it up, the shell dissapeared into a mask. Common for Lace to find he went to set it down, but it was like his fingers were stuck to it, he couldnt let go. It shined a dim light in his eyes. He couldnt let go of it. He was sure nobody would miss it, if it washed up on shore nobody would take notice to him taking it home.

The mask tantalized him as he walked down the streets, the mask seeming to call to him, telling him to put it on. He however, didnt want to take any risks. But he hurried to his apartment, running into people throughout the way.

Connor pointed to a sports bar and grill just down the street with his thumb. If they go in, they could stay as long as they wanted and talked. It was that or find a cafe. It was only a suggestion. "You are telling me." Connor spoke as he looked his mask. He quickly put it away as he began to feel its calling for him to wear it. He looked over both the female and the male. The female was extremely pretty and dressed in a way to show off her curves. He tore his eyes away and looked at the male. He was vastly different. He was skinny and lanky. His skin was pale. If it was still high school, each would be in different groups. He wondered if they knew each other previously.

As his eyes drifted to the sports bar and grill, Jak noticed the group outside and almost instinctively his eyes narrowed. The person in their midst that had caught his attention was tall with tanned skin and brown hair streaked through with honey highlights. Quickly, he averted his gaze, missing the other boy's stare at the girl and nodded with a warm smile.
"Sounds good," he agreed, hoping they hadn't noticed his glare at the brown-haired person. He stood, picking up his books and trying to grab hold of the mask as he did so.
"I'ma get these books out first though," he fumbled about, trying to balance the stack of books and get a hold on the mask at the same time.
The one time I don't bring a bag, he thought with a huff. His gaze wondered to the mask, what if I just put it on. Would that be easier? Can't do any harm can it? I mean, it's just a mask. Maybe these guys are just fooling with me. After all, that girl did follow me to see if I was ok and then suddenly she has a mask too and so does this other kid.

For those who put on their masks, or who were about to in the near future, all would see and experience the same projection. It was a blurry image, filled with static before the image stabilized. It wasn't a very long vision, lasting only several seconds. But each person would hear the unmistakable laughter fill their minds...

Axel liked his job as a waiter. Not because it was easy and he got massive tips from rich people. It wasn't because he was among the best in service and socialist extraordinaire. It wasn't be cause he was favored by the supervisor. Heavens, no.

The supervisor hated his guts on a good day.

Axel loved his job because of his uniform. Well, one part of his uniform. They were to wear black satin gloves. He loved those with a passion, really. White dress shirt, black slacks, vest and shiny alligator textured loafers.

Style.

His hair worked well with it too. Curly, flipped in the right places, shiny but not overly oiled....

He wanted to grow his hair out.

But it worked for work.

"I'm out!" he called out in general to the kitchen staff and left through the back door and rounded the corner to the employee parking. Working as a waiter in a five-star restaurant had its perks. He managed to get a nice Infiniti M out of five weeks of unspent paychecks.

The life.

Axel slid in and tossed his vest onto the floor on the passenger side. Opening the sunroof, he got comfortable. Another day of work, and free for the weekend -- unless they called him in. He reached into the backseat blindly for his shades. He'd tossed them there that morning in a haste to just get out of his car because he was that late for work. Something other than his sunglasses made contact with his long fingers, though. Grabbing the similarly curved object, he pulled in front with him a strange looking...

"Mask?"

Well he did go clubbing the night before and got home piss drunk, waking up with the hangover of the century but really. How the hell did he even pick up a mask? Curiously, he held the mask to his face. Only inches away, he felt some sort of magnetic pull. Like it wanted him to put it on.

Pure insanity.

The mask was on and it felt great. It felt...different. Suddenly, there was a burst of static, his eyesight becoming dotted with tiny black spots, and he was feeling a bit light headed. Images, a word...paper. Some message that flashed before his eyes. Something about more coming. And somehow, whatever this thing was that was coming, excited him. Bubbling up inside him was the feeling he got when he was about to go on one of his free running sprees. But he was...calm. Outwardly, anyway.

It confused him.

The images left, and he yanked the mask off. Looking at it, his heart seemed to speed up all too suddenly, all of the excitement from before and the smidgen of fear he was beginning to feel coming together like some wild storm in the middle of his chest.

He looked at the mask, wide eyed.

What the hell?

[sorreh~ he'll meet up with the others a bit later. I half arsed this one because I really couldn't get what I wanted out and coherently written. hope this is enough]

Imbued you are with inhuman abilities,
With a flipped personality as your price.
This is a taste of more to come...
- C

Crystal's mind worked over time to try and decipher what was on the paper. It didn't take long to uncover the message, however it was signed by someone. And it also seemed like they were meant to get these masks. But why? What sort of god awful trick was being played here? Her hands flew to her mask and pried it off of her face. Flustered she looked about at the other two. No, there was no way... There was no way that they all could have gotten the masks on the same day, and received the message.

She opened her mouth, about to say something, but decided against it. Instead she plopped some of the cupcake in her mouth, looking up at the ceiling. All concerns about her runny make up were completely forgotten.

William looked suddenly perturbed. He saw that. He wishes he never did. Did anyone else notice it? One of them seemed to be flailing for something, a word to speak, maybe to start the conversation. His friendly offer, of course, went ignored. All he could hope for now was that someone would mention seeing something, or to break the awkward silence. He tried to remove his mask, only finding that, for some reason, it was stuck. Oh dear. This was a much bigger problem than awkwardness or the random hallucination ( for it must be a hallucination) but he couldn't let the other two ladies know of his predicament. Suddenly he felt oddly anti-social, put off by their presence more than usual. However, he forced himself to stay, since he didn't want to make these two ladies even more awkward than they may already be.

"...Did you two see something just now?" He asked in a manner he hoped wouldn't come off as nervous as he felt.