Martini and Salsa 1.5: Sent a spy to catch a break

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
He kept his arms around her and with one hand sliding down her back and her body pressed against his he was able to lift her off her feet and place her on the balcony railing. "Trust me.." he whispered his lips so close to hers it had to look like they were kissing to their watchers especially the way his hand was moving over her back. "Next time I won't ask you to tell me, you just do... Discreetly."

He held her there a moment it impossible not to have his breath washing over her. Then he pulled her back onto her feet. "You make an adorable newlywed by the way,"

The complement caught her a bit off guard, but it hardly showed with her true delight and her playing for the role already both playing out at the same time. All that and no matter if it was acting or not being so very close to Josh it could have been very easy to allow herself to be distracted. All that though, once on her feet her sweet smile was spiced with a ghost of a smirk in it. "Thank you, now I do think we can bore them as you demonstrate your gift to me."

She took one of his hands in both of hers and pulled him as she walked backwards over to the telescope. She wanted to play with and of course the persona she was playing as would want her love involved as she got to experiment with her new toy. Cynthia was more familiar with them then the young bride would be, but both were delighted.

Josh of course already had something to look at planned and swiveled the telescope first to look out at sea, then panned around to a site further inland where a rusty fence and a huge block of concrete belonging to a near-unknown abandoned missile silo could be made out. "Have a look at this." he said placing his hands on her shoulders and pulled her to the eye piece gently still playing the role of doting husband. "Tell me what you think." His mouth was a inch from her ear as he whispered to her..

"Any idea what that is.. and when do you want to visit it??"

Cynthia couldn't help but smirk as she saw what Josh had focused the telescope on. Not that anyone could tell with the angle her head was pointed. "Cold War?" she asked, though she wondered if that were the case when it was built, who built it, and why was it scrapped. Questions she was sure her partner already had the answer to.

For a few minutes she slowly looked around as much of the complex as could be seen through the foliage, then finally looked over at Josh. "This is not how normal people spend their vacation," her voice was neutral as was her expression. "How does tomorrow afternoon sound?" The grin that returned was enough to tell Josh she didn't mind being not normal in the least.

"The missile crisis." he said "A little known but public fact is that there was a soviet submarine cornered by American ships who were dropping depth charges. The captain of that sub though this had meant war had been declared and so, with his sub cornered and in danger of capture he had to launch his missiles at american cities while he could. It was the second closest we came to war back then. What is not known was there was an agent aboard that submarine who broke cover, told the Russian captain he was a spy and that he could convince the American ships to back off and let the submarine escape. That agent then spent five years in a Russian prison. One of the men that saved the world but the world will never know their names. I collect such stories as a tribute to them. SO at least one person will remember what they did."

They spent more time then they meant to on the balcony talking and Cynthia getting to use her telescope. They out lasted their watchers in any affect. When she glanced back at him at one point and noticed his eyelids half closed she suggested that nap he was talking about would be well had. After all she could go shopping. Not that she was fooling him, but that wasn't the point. The point she had one hour to find out what she could.

Cynthia found that combining tasks was not only much funner, but it also gave her the cover she would need anyways while trying to gather information. As she returned, Cynthia was humming to herself as she opened the door to the suite. Josh didn't seem to be in the sitting area nor the balcony. She took a moment to set her purse and bags on her bed and take off her shoes before she glanced around again. The bathroom door wasn't closed so unless he stepped out that meant he was still napping.

Going over to his door she noticed it was cracked. She glanced in and saw Josh atop his blankets. He seemed sound asleep. She stepped away from the door, figuring he would wake up soon. Smiling she went back to her room to unwrap the gifts from the excess packaging. Cynthia had no need to buy as much as she did, but it had been fun and a few trinkets to remember the trip by wasn't a horrible thing, especially if most were actually useful, if only in a limited sort of way.

Twenty minutes had past and she hadn't heard any stirring. Cynthia debated with herself. On one hand if Josh needed the sleep she wanted to give it to him, on the other they both needed to eat before they went out for drinks. Mentally cursing the contact for making Josh work on his vacation she went back out and crossed over to Josh's door.

Looking in a second time Cynthia noticed he hadn't moved an inch. She shook her head while among and crossed the room, stopping at the bed. "Josh," she said softly before sitting on the edge of bed. "Time to get up Josh," she continued in a soft voice and putting a hand on his shoulder to shake him awake.

He had passed out on his stomach with his harm spread out and his head on it's side. He had fallen asleep faster and deeper than he had meant to. TO be woken up had him rolling onto his side with a soft sound in his throat before blinking several times at the leg in front of him. Then he sat up sharply with an intake of breath. "Cynthia.."

He looked around for the time groggily but didn't see it then he looked out the window to look at the shadows.. "What time is it?" he asked finally conceding and flopping back onto his back stretching out his arms above his head.

"It's almost five," she told him as she tilted her head. "I figured you'd want to be awake before we go down for dinner. Unless you want to eat in. After all we will be going down there anyways this evening."

Despite feeling a bit sour about the nessessity of it all she chose to not let it affect her. What was one evening after all. "Did you at least sleep well?" Cyntha grinned at her partner thinking that it was a good thing she woke him because he wasn't going to do so on his own anytime soon. Outside the palm trees swayed in the breeze. It looked like a bit of weather was coming in. Hopefully they'd get nothing but a few sprinkles over the night.

"Maybe too well." he said yawning and closing his eyes. The he forced himself to sit up and shake his head. "You choice where we eat, I'm going to splash water on my face." he got up and stepped into the en suit and turned on the tap. "This is what two bad night's sleep get you. And I can't blame jet lap this time."

He was talking mainly to himself and didn't really wait for a response. "I guess its batter that it happens on holiday than when it would matter."

Mulling it over Cynthia decided that eating in was not really nessisary. There was a garden view restaurant that seemed used less frequently as the ocean side one or the large restaurant with the buffet.

As Josh turned on the water, she heard him talking to himself. She had now confirmation that it wasn't just last night that Josh had trouble sleeping, but the last two. It seemed a bit odd, surely trying to relax wasn't stressing him out more, could it? She knew that wasn't right, and she felt like she was overlooking something fundamental and obvious.

It wasn't any of her business. At least right now, had they been working it might be different, but as he had said to himself, it was happening during a holiday. Cynthia was sure he could work out whatever it was long before they left the island.

"Let me know when you're ready to leave," Cynthia called over to him.

The water refreshed him and he was returning to the bedroom in no time. "I'm ready..' he yawned again then pulled on a jacket leaving the tie, still not technically in a suit right? "We'll to strait to our meeting after dinner so make sure to leave anything you don't want seen behind." he said as he slid the weight of the gun into a concealed holster inside the jacket. "And we're trying to convince him we're not up to anything so no games while we're out there."

He was sure that Mr. Underground had would have people watching them throughout diner but he didn't say anything. He did after all say he wouldn't give her warning and she should just tell him. For the rest of the evening this wasn't a game. "And leave the introductions to me."

Cynthia nodded as Josh explained, it did make sense. At least she was getting good at following his lead. Once she retrieved her shoes, purse and a light sweater they headed out to the restaurant Cynthia had picked out. Cynthia wasn't as chatty as normal as they made their way there, even though they were not to meet the contact until after dinner, for Cynthia vacation was already suspended. It could have been knowing that Josh was wearing his gun, or that they were going into a situation soon she was unfamiliar with. Whatever the case she had a pleasent smile upon her face that wasn't very real.

Once they were seated Cynthia tried to relax a little, and other then rotation the tension out of her shoulders had little success. "It does become more habit, right?" she asked Josh as she lifted her water glass.

"Second nature, sooner than you realize." Josh said sitting opposite her. You have the hardest thing to find already, instinct. Trust it." he had been quiet on their walk down and so had Cynthia and he could tell what was up without asking. "Take it in your stride, you were great at the games on the ship.. treat it like one of those." he checked to watch "Fifteen hours left... so what will you be eating."

He had made out the people who didn't quite belong and the ones that belonged too much as they entered and kept his eyes on Cynthia's to see if she looked. "I think I'll have the lasagna."

Giving Josh a quick smirk as he checked his watch Cynthia felt a bit better. Her temperament was still more serious then it had been in nearly a week, but the tension was mostly gone. It was a good thing or she might have missed a few details.

"I haven't quite decided yet," she admitted, looking at him or a little past him before flipping the page on the menu. Taking a sip of water, her lips twitched downward for a moment. "It's getting more crowded in here the I expected," she had after all chose this restaurant on purpose.

"The roasted duck sounds good." Now was she being paranoid or were there more patrons here that were not on vacation then were? Well Josh had said to trust her instincts.

Seems like they couldn't have their diner in peace. "If I had known there was so much going on I would have picked a different resort." he said to Cynthia ordering then a bottle of wine and a bottle of water. "This one in an informal meeting point for agencies... 'neutral ground' is the term. And right now it seems to be a whose who... I don't like it ... but I'm here to relax so I think we'll spend a lot of the vacation places not here."

He shook his head. "When you do something for a long time without you forget how to take one, learn from my mistake lest you become as I."

"Not being here might be a good idea," she agreed. There was playing games, but this was not helping with the idea of being on vacation. Cynthia was decently sure one of the waiters serving a different section was a bit more then he seemed. After a moment Cynthia just started shaking her head chuckling slightly. After all it was so ludicrous that it was funny.

A bit later their waiter, who was thankfully just a waiter as far as Cynthia could tell, came with their beverages and took their food order. Once he was gone Cynthia glanced out the window. "So which ones are his?" There was a lot going on, but it seemed logical someone working for Josh's contact was observing them.

"The woman in the purple dress by the bar, the waiter in section 3, and the man loitering by the door. I think I cam make out his vice too."

The place was more crowded then it should be and there was a constant babble of voices to make out one of them would be hard. "Why don't we move out into the garden under the sky?" he picked up his glass and the bottle and stood. "Go left and around the outside of the room, he on the right. If he sees us he might invite us to sit."

He let her lead and signaled to their waiter that they were moving. "On any other occasion I'd make sure I found out what was going on, I hope you realize how hard it is for me not to and... vacation."

"I can appreat it, but you have enough going on as it is," she told him as they passed some greenery. The worse part was she was curious herself, but not enough to let it slip out. She had a feeling Josh was only being "good" for her benefit. Once seated out in the garden she grinned at Josh.

"So, anything I need to know, versus fun to find out in my own time, about this building?" It was a little late now perhaps, and maybe Josh didn't even think of the fact that this was not exactly the best resort to forget about work for a few weeks, but if she was going to have to be on her toes, she wanted to know the particular steps to avoid.

"Telling you would be cheating." he said "Besides we have plenty of time to talk on this vacation. Saying too much would leave us nothing to talk about except your ability to speak Hungarian." He wet his lips with his glass as they relaxed into an outside table more isolated from the throng. He had however chosen a seat where he could see what was going on.

"You know what I used to do just after moving to California? I would leave my apartment and walk, the first restaurant I liked the smell of I'd enter and order. I think thats what we should do tommorow."

Cynthia laughed, glad to be slightly isolated away from all those that had no need to know their business, but would want to know just on principle. "My ability to speak Hungarian consist of that one line, and I'm still not sure about the grammar. Thank goodness for simple sentences." That all being said Cynthia was looking forward to getting some time to look up what he'd said last night. If she had time the song too, but she was still considering just asking him about that one.

The grin she gave Josh was in agreement with his idea. A nice wandering tour and finding a little out if the way spot sounded just like the type of thing to kill a few hours in the afternoon. "That sounds lovely."

By then the waiter had returned with their meal. It looked delicious, and Cynthia was looking forward to digging in, but instead she held up her wine glass. "Salud!" After all Spanish she was more then a little familiar with.