Looking for some fantasy worldbuilding help

I just downloaded the Discord app. I never knew such app existed. Its been a while since I am active in a roleplaying web.

Yes, I will be joining and I hope this develope into something good and active. I usually get obsessed in things that I join.

I'm still learning how to go about iwaku but I'll help as much as I can.

I think maybe we should post here more just to get more attention from others.

About the beastkin, what is your opinion on their sizes? I think it will be interesting to have a giant beastkin species. Maybe some of them can be the size of the dragons? Their size can have their advantage as well as their disadvantage. They cannot fit into a settlement where most people are regular sized. They eat too much food, therefore must hunt giant monsters to feed themselves. This is also the reason why they are scarce. Maybe their flaws could be their intelligence.

I'm imagining a giant walrus warrior with his giant tusk, wearing armour made out of leather sewn together untidily, covered by his dirty fur coat, iron helmet worn crookedly on his head, and a giant sword held like a walking stick at his side.

Or did you already have a complete idea on the physique and intelligence of every beastkin?

So I was thinking that most of the beastkin would live in a large island kingdom, mostly because I had an idea for them that can happen either later in the rp or in a future one.

As for beastkin physique, it would definitely vary. For example, a minotaur is going to be much stronger than a harpy, but the harpy is quicker and much lighter. As for a walrus beastkin like you mentioned, to be honest I pictured that as a mermaid-esque thing. Except. With a walrus tail and yeah, probably tusks.
Now the more animalistic ones, I was thinking, would live on a connecting island. That way they can hunt for food if they need more, and not end up enslaved or treated lesser. Of course, they might still be looked down upon, but they'd be invaluable in battle.
And no, I don't have a set idea for most of them.

As for beastkin the size of dragons? Dragon sizes vary by species anyway. Besides, there will be dragonkin. Though I'm thinking about there only being one as far as anyone knows. But there could secretly be more if people want.

Lets talk about the technology of Aerelion. How advance are the technology? Will it be the basic swords and shields for battles? Will their travel methods be limited to animal riding and carriages?

I have been wanting to play or manage a world with weapons like the ones in the game monster hunter. They aren't too weak and not overpowered. Weapons can also be imbued with all sorts of elements and curses but it should be very rare because if everyone have them, they wouldn't be special anymore.

How realistic do you intend Aerelion to be? Will it be like the Game of Thrones or will it be more anime-ish and less realistic, where logic doesn't apply much? I myself would prefer realistic ones. But it all depends on you, the boss.

Most nations will have catapults and trebuchets, battering rams, crossbows, etc. Otherwise medieval weapons like swords, spears, and the like. Though certain nations are more, or less, advanced than that.
As for weapons like in monster hunter, if you were wealthy enough or could make one on your own with the materials, then you could get... say, a dragon's fang spear or something.
As for magic weapons, those would be fairly rare, at least the stronger ones. You'd have to either buy it (which is quite expensive), enchant it yourself, or make a deal with a magical being to lend some of its power to the weapon itself. Though I'll allow for a few things like being able to use ones aura to attack. (Though one would have to be trained sufficiently.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see.

So these magical creatures. Do they walk about amongst the people or do they hide themselves? Do people believe they exist or are the people oblivious to their existince? Do people hunt them for their power? Can people forcefully take these magical beings' power? Or must the magical being lend their powers willingly for the magic to work?

Forcing it? Depends on the being in question, though normally if you simply have stronger will you have a decent chance of forcing some power out. But it will usually be more powerful if the being is willingly channeling power.

As for the other questions, it all depends on the being in question and where they are. For example, a certain self-governing city called Drakengard (which I'm in the process of writing up) absolutely hates anything to do with dragons. Bring a dragon, wyvern, drake, or anything reminiscent of such a thing and they'll kill both you and the beast. But they have a vendetta going back centuries.

Some people might hunt them down for valuable body parts (like teeth or even organs), or attempt to assimilate such things into a weapon or item (or even the person's own body or soul) in order to gain power.

Its still not clear to me. So the magical creatures are in hiding, yes? People know they truly exist and some people are hunting them for their usefulness, yes? Do they live amongst the people out in the open?

It seems that the dragons are a normal sight for this world you are creating. How are the dragon riders special and whats do you have planned for them in the roleplay?

I want to know everything, but not all in one go.

Because quite a few of these magical races will be created by our group, I can't truly answer for all of them you know? But I'd imagine that some would hide, others would try to coexist, and some might even flaunt their abilities.

Yes, dragons are a frequent sight. What makes these Dragon riders special is that they have been chosen by a certain goddess to stop what Khoth has set in motion.
Essentially, when you're being gifted a dragon, enhanced magical and physical capabilities, and maybe even an ancient relic -by a deity no less- then yeah you're pretty significant.

I shall answer more things tomorrow. But it is midnight so I'm going to sleep now.

Reactions: Xyzean
I think it would be better if we decide firsthand the limit of magic these magical creatures have and how many of these magical creatures are in the the world you are creating.

I used to manage a roleplay with careless planning of magic involved. Some of the writers decided to have characters with overpowered and over illogical magic, claiming to be a young genius. I as the manager told him to change the part about the level of his character's magic but he wouldn't listen. Maybe its my fault for not managing the writers well. The roleplay got abandoned because of that.

Another topic, Do you plan for this world to have racism? Although racism is bad for the real world, it would make a story more interesting to have conflict between characters in this fantasy world called Aerelion.

There definitely will be racism, like how I'm planning for at least one king to absolutely abhor beastkin for certain purposes.
I actually have a magic system that I'm working on witch includes how it works, different types, drawbacks, and the advantages and disadvantages certain races have to different magics. So that'll hopefully help out a bit. (It does still allow for creativity instead of a set-in-stone system.)

Room for one more?

Definitely! You'll make four for our little group.

Cool

Reactions: Takashi
Uhhh, here's me poking my head in. Got room for a fifth?

Well I hope to hear about your magic system soon.

And I say: hello to the new members! I am looking forward to hearing what your imagination holds!

My name on discord is Kaos btw

• Useful
Reactions: Takashi and Xyzean
Maybe I can think of a deity. Ofcourse the deity will have to be a slave to its emotion. No deity without emotion is fun. It doesn't have a gender. Its body will be a bit translucent and smoky at the same time. It cannot speak in the language of the tongue, but speaks in the language of the body. What is its purpose? I'm thinking nature but maybe that purpose is already used to much? I'm thinking it is the deity of the bullied. The sulking deity. It is the spirit of all the herbivors that was killed for food or for sport. It is not a deity of vengeance therefore it doesn't hunt. What it do is warn other creatures of nearby hunters. I guess that is its purpose. It always appears as other form of herbivors. Once you blink, you will always see a different herbivors. Maybe even more than one herbivor at a time. Once it passes a tree, you will see it as another herbivor. But careful, instead of transforming, it might just disappear.

Maybe this is a bad idea? I'm bad at creating deities. Can anyone help?