Looking for some fantasy worldbuilding help

T

Takashi

Original poster
Edit: There is now a shiny new Discord Server.

Alright, let's cut to the chase. I need some worldbuilding help, as I am terrible at this sort of thing. The world we'll be developing is designed mostly for dragon rider roleplays. However, it'll have some other interesting things to roleplay about as well. Now, I won't get all that in-depth with details about the roleplay itself yet, as we will be building a world to serve as the foundation. A world with its own mythology, vast lands to explore, dragons (gotta have em), and plenty of mysteries.

So, I'm looking for some people to help me in this endeavor. Please note that if you decide to help me with this, I'll be asking you to possibly Co-GM in the roleplay as well. Now, since I have no imagination, I'll go ahead and list some things I'm in need of currently.

- A name for the world. Yes, seriously. Help, I can't think of anything.
Edit: I have named this world Aerelion.
- Names for the deities, along with some ideas for a cool backstory of how the gods came into being, and how they created the world and all that jazz.
- Names and descriptions for many different species of beasts. By descriptions, I mean stuff like habitat, mannerisms, etc, etc.
- Ideas for races to inhabit the world. I mean, I'll have your basic humans, elves, beastkin, and all that but I need some other ideas as well please. Also, if you come up with a race for me, please name it...
- Other interesting things to add depth to the world we create.

In conclusion, because I have no imagination, I am giving you a chance to play God! Who doesn't like that?
I will also create a discord server once I get a name for this world (of course, I'll be thinking on it as well). And don't worry, I've done some work.

Note: I'm not asking for you to do everything for me, I just need someone to keep me on track and help with ideas. And naming things. I'm absolutely horrible at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no good with names, either, which is why I use random generators on sites like Springhole. So, if names are one of the biggest things that you're struggling with, then, I recommend giving that site a look.

• Useful
Reactions: Takashi
So you know the world has dragons? That'll be centered around dragons and their riders?

The story is mainly focused on a group of them that have been gathered together in order to stop a certain God's rampage. But I'll work on the actual roleplay once I've (or we've if anyone decides to help) got the world set up.

So, cool idea. The world is actually a massive dragon.

If it was alive, that wouldn't go well at all for the story. If it was dead, maybe?

poisoning things causes all sorts of damage. but yeah. typically, it's a dead dragon.

Eh, I think I'll stick to Aerelion being an actual planet.

Are Gods located on the physical plane, (Like the Olympians on Mt. Olympus) or an alternate world? (Like the Aesir in Asgard?)

Also I've been saving the name Kyrioth for a special occasion. You can have it.

Gods will be primarily on an ethereal plane, where they do all their divinity things. However, there may be exceptions every once in a while. And there will surely be areas on the physical world where one can interact (communicate, receive omens, etc.) with certain deities.

How big is the distincion between monsters and animals?

Hmm... I'd say that's mostly a case-by-case thing. To me, the term "monster" is relative, but if it helps any here's an example: I'd think of a minotaur as more of an animal than a monster, but a chimera could be considered a monster.

Would a (close to human sized) fairylike race fit into your world at all? I'd imagine the actual flight capability would be severely limited, of course.

Yes fairies could easily fit in with the other races that I've got in the creation process.

Sweet. Haven't done much worldbuilding with beasts/monsters, but I can help with races and deities if you'd like, what do you have so far?

The races I have close to done are mostly just basic. (Dryads, beastkin, etc.) But I've got some more in the process. If you want to join my discord, it's an easier and faster way to communicate ideas. Glad to have you aboard by the way!

Edit: Oh, you already joined it. Never mind that bit then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. Do I need permission to join in and share my ideas? I will go ahead and share anyways.

The beastkin should be diverse, right? There are varieties of anthropomorphic creatures? Their size may be different too. Some may be as small as rabbits and some may be giants as large as whales? People from different sides of the planet should be speaking their own different language. This takes us to language. The way some beastkin's mouths are designed, it may be difficult for them to speak the human language. Just like earth, there should be a couple of major language such as english and mandarin.

I have more ideas, but I'll save it for later.

:)

Reactions: Takashi
Beastkin are divided into two main groups:
1, the ones that are slightly more humanoid and have well-developed vocal cords for speech. They can think and speak skillfully.
And 2, the ones that are more beast and cannot perform complex speech. Simple words and common comprehension are normally still there.

As far as language goes, there will be local and ancient ones, as well as a couple that are known to most anyone with an education. There will also be magic tools that are able to perform basic translation as well.

And yeah, I assume this means you'll be joining us? You'd make 3. You can either share on this tthread, via Iwaku PM, or join the discord. The choice is yours.