Logic&Dark (Running Scared)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joel looked at the man named Seamus, who was now nicely patched up and passed out. He didn't know who he was going to have sleep in here with him, but he knew that his wife would refuse. He looked at Brooke and saw the hard way she was regarding him, and knew that he could count on her. "Brooke, can I count on you to sleep in here overnight, and hear him if he tries to make a move?" Juanita started to protest, but Joel gave her the look that said Would you rather do it then? Brooke looked at them in surprise, "Well I guess I can Dad. I wont let him leave or try any funny business." Joel nodded and took his wife and youngest daughter into the next room and shut the door that joined the two. "Joel what are you doing? Are you crazy leaving our daughter in there with that monster?" Joel turned on his wife, "Look Juanita, we are going to have to work together and get along during this stint okay? I believe in Brooke, enough to know that she isn't a little girl anymore, if anyone can break down that man's guard and get answers, it will be Brooke."

Brooke went over and got a rag, wetting it she returned to Seamus' side. She put the cool wash cloth on his forehead. She knew what her father wanted her to do, and she would try without being someone she wasn't. She was always friendly, and she would treat the man with respect.

Opening his eyes, he didn't even bother to smile at her. "I know what you are here for. But I want to thank you and your family for helping me," he understood completely why they'd done it. They wanted a cushion to keep them safe. But McMurphey wouldn't give in just to save him. No, he didn't care what became of his employees, just himself. Not to say he liked his employees killed or injured; if they could help him, he kept them. But one man didn't matter to him.

He also knew that they wanted answers from him. "So, I take it that you are in here to ask me everything I know, right?" he sounded nervous; he was. He was scared that she was going to hurt him. That's what the IRA did to people they wanted answers from, and that is what desperate people did. He adjusted himself and prepared himself just in case. Looking at her, he realized just how pretty she was. Why had her parents let her stay with him? Why not just have Joel do it? He could just beat Seamus into talking.

Brooke looked down at Seamus and smiled at him, she could see that he was nervous, "Look don't be nervous, I am not my dad. I wont hurt you. I wont pry anything from you. I just want my little sister safe. I want you to tell whoever you work for that they cant take Gloria. If they must take someone, they have to take me. I wont let her die, for a mistake." Brooke looked away from Seamus, did she seriously just give herself like that to the enemy? She just signed a death warrant she was sure. Brooke knew that it was the right thing to do, she could handle herself fairly well, Gloria on the other hand would not be able to and would die without a fight. Brooke looked back at Seamus and wiped his brow with the cold rag again. She didn't know why, but she felt that it would help him.

He looked at her and laughed. "They wouldn't take you because the punch wouldn't be as painful. Gloria is just a wee babe in their eyes, would hurt more. But I have no say in it. They suspect that I am a double agent, which actually I am. I work for the London Agency-," his sentence was drowned out by a series of violent coughs. She'd been wiping his forehead with a cold rag, but he pushed her hand away. He didn't deserve this kind of treatment; this family was so nice. Though he was trying to help them, to save the kid's life, he knew that this would always stay with them. "I'll tell you everything you want to know now, so you wouldn't be forced to take me with you. You have my word on my father's grave that I won't tell anyone where you went. I don't think I can protect you guys in this condition, but I can tell you where to go to get Gloria to safety. Please believe me when I say it is your only chance to survive."

Brooke's eyes flew open at the realization that no matter what, her sister was doomed. "I just need to know how we are going to get out of this intact. And I don't think it would be wise for you to just...leave us. You ran us down, you shot at us, and you scared every one of us. You may be doing this for a good reason, but I don't see why that gives you a reason to tell us what you know and ditch out. Regardless of the fact whether you think you are in shape for it or not. My mother may be a bitch all the time, but she knows how to make that wound heal. My father isn't always like that, he is just scared and he has no idea what is going on right now. None of us do." Brooke realized that she may have been rambling on, but Seamus had just said that he wasn't going to stay with her family and a huge part of her didn't think that was right.

Sighing, he closed his eyes. "I could be a decoy Brooke," he knew her whole family's name, :if you guys leave me here, I might be able to slow him down. But if you take me with you, you have a higher chance of losing everything." He didn't want to die; he had plans for a future. He wanted to have a family someday, and watch his mother grow old and happy. But he wanted that little girl to see adulthood more though; the sacrifice would be worth it. He groaned again as his wound began to ache, putting one of his hands on his side. He looked over at her again. "There is a cathedral in Spokane, Washington. McMurphey wouldn't dare attack that church, he was born around it," it was strange that Ireland's biggest thug wasn't from Ireland but America. "Once you call sanctuary, nobody could touch you. But you have to get there as soon as you can; it'll be a very long trip but worth it." Looking away once more, he didn't want to meet her eyes. To be honest, he felt awkward, being bare chested in front of a woman he hardly knew. Well, personality wise.

"Look I know that it would probably be the wise thing to do, leaving you behind, but I think we ought to take you. If we can claim sanctuary then so can you. And it will give you more time to heal, and time to tell us everything we need to know without my dad having to pry it out of you. I don't want to see you hurt, and that could just be because I am a good person who would never hurt anyone...I just do not feel that it is right to leave you here, for some other maniac to find you." Brooke honestly had no idea why she was talking to Seamus like he meant something to her, but she didn't feel right about walking away from him and leaving him here to face an enemy, wounded like he was. She stood up and went to the sink, grabbing a paper cup that was meant for coffee she filled it with water, returning to Seamus she sat down next to him gingerly. She then lifted his head up, and put the cup to his lips. "Here I know you have got to be thirsty....Drink it, its just water."

"No you still don't understand...do you know what they'll do to Gloria? They'll do worse things to her than you'll ever know," he tried, but knew that his argument was losing. She wouldn't listen to him; he smiled at her. She was a good person, though he had no idea why she wanted to help him so much. "Listen, ma'am, I can't tell you what you can or can't do, I'm just telling you what you should do," he told her, looking away from her again. This time he didn't want to actually look at the face that might be filled with regret after choosing to save him. As she got up, his heart raced. what was she going to do? She turned around again with a coffee cup, and walked back over to him. Pulling his head up and putting the cup against his lips, he cautiously drank. The water felt amazing against his throat. Once he'd finished, he smiled at her. "Thanks."

"I know you think I am being stupid for thinking that you should go with us, and I am not saying in the least that I don't know there is danger attached to this. But I just....I don't know, something tells me that you should come with us...." She looked away, slightly embarrassed. She didn't know what to do, she was finding herself attracted to this man, he was a rather good looking man. Despite the fact that he had ran her family out of their house, "Anyway, they are not really my family...They found me when I was an infant, and adopted me. I see them as my family but once they told me I wasn't I began searching for my birth parents. I love Gloria, but I already knew I wasn't really their child by the time she was born...so I have no real attachment to her. I still don't want to see her dead, or harmed." Brooke hoped that she didn't come across as hateful, but she was. She hated Joel and Juanita, for lying to her, and then bringing in a baby that they loved more than her. She knew they did, she could see it in their eyes.

He closed his eyes. "I am sorry to hear about your past," he simply said. Maybe if he could get her to believe that he wasn't caring or anything like that, she would leave him here. He thought about his life back in Ireland, growing up with his mother raising him but around a couple friends. He'd miss that life; even if they took him with them, there was no chance he'd ever see his mother again. His home would be burned to the ground, everything ruined. He'd be on the run his entire life. The whole thing depressed him so much that he actually wanted to be left here. But no matter how much he talked to her, she would not budge. "We should really get some sleep. If you choose to bring me with you guys, then we'll have to get a very early start so that we could get ahead of Thomas." This was strange, he'd end up sleeping next to a girl he had no idea whether she meant what she said or not, alone. Bare chested, wounded and homesick, he was miserable.

Brooked nodded, and yawned. The whole ordeal today had really worn her out, she sat on the bed and then brought her legs up. Putting her back to Seamus she laid her head down, and within seconds her eyes were shut.

Dreaming, running and screaming. Blood everywhere. Brooke looks around her terrified, she sees nothing but blackness. She puts her hands out in front of her, she feels nothing but empty air. Suddenly someone speaks behind her, she whips around to find no one. Something touches her from behind, once again she sees nothing. Her heart is pounding, and she can barely breath from the anxiety of it all. Suddenly something jumps out at her from the darkness and takes her...

Brooke moaned and whimpered in her sleep, tossing and turning slightly.

Once he was sure that she was fast asleep, he rolled over onto the floor. He bit his tongue to keep himself from screaming out in pain. He had to keep this family safe at all costs; if this family were to die on American soil, than this could mean trouble for the Untied Kingdom. Pulling himself up, he walked towards the door, balancing himself on things to keep himself steady. Bracing his midsection, he slowly made it to the door. Opening the door quietly, he knew that he had to get away from this place to head off Thomas. But another spasm of pain wrecked through him and he collapsed to his knees. Gasping, he could feel the stitches ripping. But he wouldn't try to give up then; no he had to make it to a car. It was the family's only chance of getting a head start.

Joel couldn't sleep, he was to angry and afraid of what his family was deep in. He stepped out of the hotel room door and stood there breathing in the fresh air. Juanita had finally gone to sleep in the other bed with Gloria, she was mad at Joel. For everything, she blamed him for the panic they were in. He remembered the accident clearly, Juanita had been yelling at him that he had missed their turn. She had been bitching at him the entire trip, which he had booked the trip to make her happy, but instead she was the same old person she was at home. He had looked at her and screamed at her to shut the fuck up, that he was tired of hearing it, and that he was making sure he was putting them all on the flight home tomorrow, screw the family trip. Gloria had started crying, and Brooke ignored them all. She was sullen with them, after she had found out she was adopted, she wanted nothing more than to be away from them. She had taken this trip to try and work things out with them he knew, but he didn't think is was working. He had seen her texts, she was moving out as soon as they got back home. Once he had screamed at Juanita he turned back to face the road, and saw the man just as they hit him. He didn't remember much about the rest of it, it was all a blur. Joel glanced over when he heard a noise, that fucking asshole was trying to sneak out of the hotel room! "What the HELL do you think you are doing?"

Glancing up darkly, he hated this man. All he heard was him yelling at his family.And what Brooke said, he really made Seamus's blood boil. "I am trying to save your family, you ignorant egotistical twat," he spat. If he were in better shape, he'd get up from where he crouched and deck the man. He knew the sort of people Joel was; mean, and cruel. His mother had brought home this man once, who beat on women. Who always said everything was going to be okay. Who yelled at his mother. Who said he was sorry. who tried to strangle her. Who said that he wouldn't do it again. Who learned what it was like to be the one dangling from the wall while a strong hand held his throat up against it. "I've heard the way you yell at your family...Joel," he said his name with disgust. He knew that angering this man further was dangerous, but he couldn't just sit there and let him think that treating the ones you loved like animals was the right thing to do.

Joel was a hateful man, he hated his life and everything in it. Joel looked at Seamus and strode towards him, "No, you killed my family. You killed them the moment Brooke laid eyes on you. She helps anything that moves, anything that catches her eye. Not once has she helped a human soul, because she is afraid of them, and here you come and she wants to help you. I need you for the information that will help save my family. I sent Brooke in there with you for a reason, and I hope she got what we needed. But your not leaving, your my leverage to get out of this alive. Regardless if they make it." Joel bent down to look into Seamus's eyes, "Brooke isn't my daughter and she never will be. I didn't want to adopt her, Juanita did. Gloria, isn't my child. And I know that. Juanita cheated on me with my brother, and Gloria was the result of that. Your not leaving till I am out of this alive." He stood up and kicked Seamus right where he was wounded, and smirked at the blood that was seeping through. He then pushed him inside the hotel room and shut the door. He stood facing the door, breathing hard. He didn't know why he did any of that, and he never thought he would know the answer.

Listening, he felt disgusted at the man. "Not your daughters?! Family isn't always by blood!" he didn't seem to hear him. He kicked Seamus right into the wound, causing blood to pour from the wound once more. He let out a scream, collapsing in serious pain he couldn't help but puke a little. He clutched his stomach firmly as it throbbed, every stitch ripped from the wound. He was yet again in agony, only this time it felt worse than before. The wound throbbed, Seamus was unable to even get up again. Not even a crawl; maybe this was how he was going to die. the bandages did nothing to stop the bleeding as it welled onto the cement. "C-coward," he said towards Joel's door. He didn't deserve to have a family, let alone a daughter like Brooke. Soon, he just blacked out.

Brooke awoke with a start when she heard an ear piercing scream. She looked towards the hotel room door, and noticed that it was open and that Seamus was lying in the doorway. Her first thought was that someone had attacked him and that he was dead. She shot out of the bed and ran towards the door, she bent down and scooped his head up and put it in her lap. "Seamus?" She looked down and saw that his wound was bleeding again, she didn't know the first thing about it but she had watched Juanita stitch it earlier and she thought maybe she could. She stood up gently placing his head back on the floor, she pulled him in the room trying not to hurt him. Once he was in, she shut the door, thoroughly exhausted now but she kept going for his sake. Everything that had been used to stitch him the first time had been left in their room. She grabbed it, shaking she threaded the needle and dipped it in alcohol, she then began to stitch his wound, finding herself rather good at it, she pulled the string tight and once she saw only oozing she tied it off and cut it off. "Seamus? Are you okay? Who did this?"

He groaned as she pulled him back inside. Everything on him ached. As she began to scuffle around, all he wanted to do was crawl away. But he couldn't move; if he did, he could make the wound worse. He winced as she began to stitch him back up again, the needle making the sore area ache even more. As she asked, he didn't want to say. How could he make her yell at her father for what he did, and create more problems for him? He shook his head. "Nah, do-don't worry about it. I was being stupid, I'm sorry that I woke you up," he replied to her, his voice not as confident as it was before. He was furious; furious that Joel had the gall to say that about his family, his daughters. Why in the hell did he stay with them now if he didn't love them? Gloria was a kind girl, Juanita may be obnoxious, but she had a good heart to her. And Brooke...he didn't want to say it. But he liked her. He couldn't explain why, he really enjoyed her. She was gentle, compassionate...he shook his head. No, he couldn't even try to think that way.

Brooke tried not to look hurt, "Were you....were you trying to leave? Because if you really want to leave...I will help you. But I cant stay here! They hate me Seamus, I think I would rather try my chances out there, where I was meant to be. On the streets." Brooke got up and grabbed another wash cloth, the last one in the hotel room. She wet it and went back to Seamus, cleaning around his wound gingerly so as not to hurt him, or open the wound again. "I am sorry, I shouldn't be so...dramatic. But I will help you escape..." She knew that she would get in trouble with Joel, she didn't know him to be violent so she honestly had no idea what kind of danger she would put herself in if she helped him escape. She liked him, even though she didn't know why or how, but she did. She had never felt something like this for anyone, always afraid that they would hurt her.

He looked at her, both with compassion yet fury. Did she just suggest that they leave Gloria to die? "What about Gloria? Your father couldn't protect a fly. He's part of the problem; he's going to get everyone killed. We could ditch him and take your mother and your sister, bring them to the cathedral in Spokane, and then you and I can make a run for it. But I can't let Gloria get hurt or killed, it is not her fault that your father is a reckless and abusive man...and it isn't yours either. I want to help you, all of you, but you have got to believe me when I say men like Joel aren't good people," he told her. The wet rag felt good on his wound, he looked at Brooke. She was someone he'd never met before; someone who he truly believed to care about others. "Everything is going to be okay. We can both escape, but we've got to take those two with us. Joel would snap, he may even hurt one of them."

Status
Not open for further replies.