Logic&Dark (Running Scared)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooke almost couldn't believe her selfishness, until he brought her attention to it. "Oh my god...I didn't mean that we should...I cant believe I said that. Yes I agree we need to take them with us and then we will leave once we get them safe in Spokane." Brooke stood and went to wet the rag again, she didn't know why she wanted to follow this man somewhere else but she knew that she should. Once they got Juanita and Gloria safely tucked away they could run away somewhere else...Brooke smiled to her self. "Do you think I can help you back onto the bed?"

Looking up at her, he shook his head. "I can get up myself," he replied. He wasn't pushing her away; he did still like doing things on his own. Pulling himself up, he got to his feet painfully. Letting out a groan, he balanced himself against the walls, finally making it to the bed again, laid there. "So, we need to come up with a way to trick your father. Why don't you take him to get coffee and leave him in the shop? Then we can load Gloria and your mother up and get out of here. Thomas will find Joel and that'll be the end of his freedom. But we'd have to hurry; I don't think your father really cares about whether or not you guys make it out of this." He knew it was harsh, but what else could he be with it? Lying wasn't going to help.

Brooke nodded, she did think that Joel was harsh, and he had beat her for a long time before Juanita found out and told him that if he ever touched her again she would kill him. She appreciated Juanita, and she even loved her. If it hadn't been for her, she probably would have wound up dead from the beatings that Joel would try on her. "You know I know that you are being truthful when you say that, because Joel beat me as a small child. Juanita stopped him, he even tried to molest me at one time, but I screamed so loud I woke the neighbors up. It was the last time he ever dared touch me." Brooke walked over to the bed and gingerly sat down on the side of it. " We ought to get a little more sleep so that we are prepared for this drive tomorrow, losing Joel in the coffee shop wont be too hard. I saw one across the street, and we are parked back here. I will suggest we walk, and while we do that Juanita can help you and Gloria in the car. Then I will have "forgot" my purse, and have to come back over here, and then get in the car with you guys."

~~~
Juanita had heard everything that Joel had said when he had so rudely harassed a man that was obviously in poor shape. She pretended to be asleep when Joel came back in, but unknown to Seamus and Brooke, she was plotting the same thing they were.

"Sounds great actually...but how is he going to deal with leaving me alone with his wife? I don't know about you but he sounds like the jealous type that would go psycho crazy on my ass if I even looked at her," he meant that more as a joke than anything else. He thought better of trying to console her better, he really didn't know how to. He really couldn't sleep if he tried right now, so he got to his feet again and headed for the restroom. "I'm going to hop into the shower and see if I can clear my head," he said as he limped towards the bathroom. He was scared in all honesty, scared for this family, scared for his mother, scared for his life. He had no idea how they were going to make it to Spokane without being caught. He was too hurt to fight Thomas off, which in a healthy state, he doubted that he even could. Thomas was a strong man; he strangled men with one hand. Opening the bathroom door, he shut it and locked it behind him.

A few miles away in a hospital, Thomas had gotten in a wreck. the emergency services had taken him in because he'd blacked out after his car rammed into the side of that semi. But he was awake, but decided to resume the chase the next morning. Nobody got away from him; he was the best hitman in Ireland. And if Seamus betrayed them, god help him. His new goal would be to hunt him down, and bring him back.

Brooke nodded and looked out the window solemnly, the night was still pitch dark, the red glowing numbers on the clock beside the bed said 3:30am. Brooke sighed, she was never up at this hour, and you could tell by just how tired she felt now. She yawned and stretched, laying down on her side she curled up into the fetal position, she fell asleep instantly but was still plagued by nightmares. It happened to her every night, she couldn't escape them she mumbled and whimpered in her sleep.

Coming out of the shower about a half hour later, Seamus got his underwear and pants back on and limped out. He noticed that she was twitching and crying. He sat at the edge of the bed and put a hand on her shoulder. she needed her sleep, and nightmares prevented a full night's rest. "Hey, wake up," he said gently, his voice calm and collected. He didn't like to see anybody suffer. There wasn't much he could do other than try to comfort her as best he could. He thought about his mother, and smiled. Whenever he was feeling bad, she always made him feel better with some wild story, or a fable. Was Brooke too old for them? He was twenty nine and he didn't feel too old for them.

Brooke awoke with a start, "Don't hurt me! Oh my god, I am so sorry...I thought you were....I thought..." Brooke looked down and then back at Seamus. "Sorry, nightmares...I get them...every night." She was still having flashbacks to her nightmares, something in them was trying to tell her something. Something about Joel, every morning when she woke up, she had a sinking suspicion that Juanita had not saved her from everything like she thought she had. Brooke bit her lip at the thought and tried not to cry. She hated Joel with a passion that was so red hot it nearly lit her red hair on fire. "Was I tossing and turning?"

Wrapping an arm around her, he knew when someone wasn't feeling good emotionally and physically. "Yeah, but it looked like you were having a nightmare. You know, whenever I got sick or became upset, my mother would always cheer me up with a fable," he chuckled a little, blushing at the memories, "even at the age of twenty nine. I'll tell you one to try and calm your nerves." It'd help get her mind off of her family long enough for her to sleep better. Pulling himself up onto the bed next to her, he sat against the head board and thought for a second. "ah, I've got the perfect one for it. It's called 'The Greedy Fox'. You'll like it."

He adjusted and began,

"There was a woman in Connemara, the wife of a fisherman; as he had always good luck, she had plenty of fish at all times stored away in the house ready for market. But, to her great annoyance, she found that a great fox used to come in at night and devour all the best and finest fish. So she kept a big stick by her, and determined to watch.
One day, as she and a woman were spinning together, the house suddenly became quite dark; and the door was burst open as if by the blast of the tempest, when in walked a huge red fox, who went straight up to the fire, then turned round and growled at them.
"Why, surely this is foxy," said a young girl, who was by, sorting fish.
"I will teach you reverence," said the fox; and, jumping at her, he scratched her arm till the blood came. "There, now," he said, "you will be more civil another time when a gentleman comes to see you." And with that he walked over to the door and shut it close, to prevent any of them going out, for the poor young girl, while crying loudly from fright and pain, had made a desperate rush to get away.
Just then a man was going by, and hearing the cries, he pushed open the door and tried to get in; but the fox stood on the threshold, and would let no one pass. On this the man attacked him with his stick, and gave him a sound blow. The fox, however, was more than a match in the fight, for it flew at him and tore his face and hands so badly that the man at last took to his heels and ran away as fast as he could.
"Now, it's time for my dinner," said the fox, going up to examine the fish that was laid out on the tables. "I hope the fish is good today. Now, don't disturb me, nor make a fuss; I can help myself."
With that he jumped up, and began to devour all the best fish, while he growled at the woman.
"Away, out of this, you furry beast," she cried, giving it a blow with the tongs.
But the fox only grinned, and went on tearing and spoiling and devouring the fish, evidently not a bit the worse for the blow. On this, both the women attacked it with sticks, and struck hard blow, they thought. But the fox glared at them and, making a leap, tore their heads and arms till the blood came, and the frightened women rushed shrieking from the house.
But the mistress returned, carrying with her a bottle of druid water. Looking in, she saw the fox still devouring the fish, and not minding. So she crept over quietly and threw druid water on it without a word. No sooner was this done than a dense black smoke filled the place. Nothing was seen but the two eyes of the fox, and they were burning like coals of fire. But when the smoke gradually cleared and disappeared, the fox had run away.
From that time the fish remained untouched and safe from harm, and the greedy fox was seen no more.

It wasn't the best story, but it was better than remembering Joel.

Brooke smiled at Seamus' touch and listened intently to the story, she wondered what druid water was. "What is druid water Seamus?" She would have felt silly, laying here listening to a bedtime tale, so that she could sleep better. But Seamus didn't make her feel that way, he made it feel normal to lay there listening to the story. Brooke looked up at him from where she lay nestled in his arm. She felt safe, and something about him just made her want to reach up and touch his cheek. His fierce demeanor was not as prominent to her, and she could tell that he had a caring side to him that could probably love someone one day. Brooke held hopes that someone would look at her one day with love and compassion and want to be with her but she didn't know if anyone ever would.

Thinking about it, he had no idea. "You know, I really don't know. Mum always just told me this story because it was my favourite," he replied, smiling at her. It was nice to see her in such a better mood than she'd woken up with. He wondered how this girl could ever have been single; she was sweet, loving and kind. Another thing he couldn't understand was why she stayed with, along with Gloria and her mother, with Joel for this long. Looking at the base of the bed, it was a little strange that he was trying to comfort her so strongly, but she'd had a hard enough life without all this happening.

Brooke laughed and yawned, "I don't know why Seamus but I feel comfortable with you. I think I may fall asleep right here..." Brooke yawned again and stretched her legs out on the bed, she turned her face in towards Seamus. "Do you mind if I fall asleep on you like this?

He shook his head. In all honesty, it'd probably be best. Thinking back to what she started to say, he felt his heart skip a beat. He didn't believe in falling in love at first sight, but he could feel himself pulling towards her. Sometimes it was just the way people were. Yawning himself, he stretched back and fell asleep after a while, barley feeling her laying up against him.

Not a single nightmare plagued Brooke the rest of the night, so when she awoke she felt refreshed, more so than she had in a long time. She looked over at Seamus and smiled, he looked peaceful too, and quite beautiful. She felt so silly, for wanting to be close to someone who had tried to kill her family...she instantly corrected herself He wasn't trying to kill us...he was trying to scare us to save us! Brooke shook her head and looked down at her hands, she was shaking, thoughts of what Seamus and herself and discussed doing the night before ran through her head. They were going to ditch her adoptive father Joel, the bastard that he was deserved to be alone. Deserved to be caught by whoever was chasing them, it had been his fault that he wasn't watching the road when they hit the man anyway. She got out of bed and went over to the bathroom, closing the door, she quickly jumped in the shower. Towel drying off when she had finished, she groaned. God this sucks, I have to put on the same dirty ass clothes I wore yesterday...She may have had a good nights sleep, but her thoughts this morning were dark. She was afraid that their plan would fail, that something bad would happen and Joel would harm one of them. Brooke shook her hair out of her shirt, and went back into the hotel room. She walked over to Seamus, "Hey sleepy head, you need to get up so we can get this show on the road so we don't get caught up with any surprises." She touched his shoulder, and gave him a little shake, being careful not to move him too much because of his wound. She heard a knock at the door, and worriedly looked at Seamus, he was starting to come around so she walked to the door looking out the peephole she saw Gloria and Juanita. "Mom, Gloria!" She said as she opened the door and ushered them in, "What are you guys doing? Is everything okay?" Gloria went in and sat down at the nearest chair, Juanita stood by the television and looked at Brooke then at Seamus.
"No, no its not Brooke. I heard everything between Seamus and your father last night. Then I heard everything between you and Seamus. I agree with you both. We need to get out of here, before he does something to us we can turn around." Gloria looked at her mother horrified, and Juanita went to her gathering her into her arms. "Im so sorry baby girl, I wish I could shield you from all of this. Brooke...." Juanita then turned to her, still holding Gloria. "I am so sorry sweetheart. There were things that I tried to protect you from, and I know that it has been rough over the past few years, and I wish I could change that for us. I am so sorry I couldn't protect you from Joel better..." Juanita had tears running down her face, Brooke tried to hold hers in, she knew what Juanita had meant by that. Brooke had asked Juanita time and time again about her nightmares, why does it seem like they are trying to tell her something more happened to her? Juanita confirmed Brooke's worse fears, "He did molest me didn't he?" Juanita nodded, her tears falling like a waterfalls. "Im sorry baby, I tried. All he did was knock me around whenever I threatened to go to the cops about it, he finally stopped when you...You don't need to hear that. But he stopped finally. I am so sorry." Brooke shuddered at the thought of what Juanita could have possibly said there. "Well lets get his motherfucker then. I say we leave him as bait for whoever else is after us and get to the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.