Lesser, Greater, Middling

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
B

Bears

Original poster
coPC8mF.png
p6qVJfb.png

"She drove him mad, entirely mad, and there was nothing he could do about it but feel himself fall for it, time and time again."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Nav and rissa
He was anticipating the shift in her weight, the deepening of her reliance on his support before she would move to get up. He smiled, eager to meet her in the kiss with his arms tightening around her waist. The kiss was so genuinely sweet, he was more reluctant to let her go than he was before, having to physically unlace his arms from around her as she moved away. For the second time in recent memory, the stealing of her body heat brought a shiver of missing up her spine.

"Poppies, you say?" he remarked. "I'll make sure to let him now." Wolfgang managed to sneak in one more kiss to her jaw before she slipped all the way away. He stood, gathering up the portrait she drew of him and placed it on the table for the time being before walking out towards the foyer in her pursuit. He stopped in the threshold between the kitchen and the foyer, folding his arms across his chest. His shoulder thumped against the door frame, hooking his foot as he watched her gathering her things with a devilish smirk, especially every time she bent over.

"See you later," he replied, turning off to recede back into the house as she departed. The sound of the door and lock clicking into place echoing behind him. It all felt so childish, and he relished it. When was the last time he'd met a woman's parents? Gone out to dinner and tried to lay the impression that he was a gentleman, more importantly, he'd never done it under such unusual circumstances. Franchesca was his student for fuck's sake, and as he fumbled with the wrist buttons on his jacket, he stared at himself, freshly shaved with the silver locks of his hair handsomely tousled, with amusement. Somehow, this wasn't what he imagined Poppins did when dating her students.

Snorting at the image of himself, he only shook his head and stepped away. The grey of his suit, a deep, rich colour, transformed the blue in his eyes from a hazy shade of off-grey themselves, to an intense hue of a newly bloomed bluebell form the French valley. He departed the house with a scratch to Woaf's ears a bit earlier than was necessary for the short walk to the Tregua, but only to allow himself enough time to stop at the nearby corner market to do shopping.

Where he was supposed to arrive at Franchesca's promptly at seven PM sharp, due to a plethora of unlikely events, which would seem, after all the years, to be the theme of his life in general, he arrived at a very unseemly seven o'five PM, which was the exact time the sun set and the street lamps to flood the area in a cool, golden light.

He knocked, as he was formally instructed, but didn't have to wait long. It'd been his expectations that Isabelle would answer the door, but he was pleasantly surprised that the face that first greeted him was one much more familiar. He couldn't fight the spike in his heartrate when he leaned forward and pressed a kiss against her cheek, his clean-shaven face making him younger, and brushing against hers without its usual tickle. "You look lovely," he whispered pleasantly into her ear before pulling away. "And for the lovely lady, as I was informed I ought to comply with her request, flowers."

For Isabelle, he'd brought poppies. For Franchesca, white lilies. And for the both, and himself, wine.​

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bears
It was silly, Franchesca couldn't help but think that as she sat patiently at the foot of the steps. The first floor of the Inn was empty but smelled like a full blown restaurant, the spices and herbs settling into the air. She was dressed up, her shoulders and chest exposed but the length of the dress making up for it with the way it trailed past her ankles. Indeed the grey-blue pooled at her feet when she stood and Franchesca was thankful for it because she had little reason to wear heels.

The silliest part for her however, was the fact that she was incredibly nervous. It wasn't like when she was sixteen back in Seattle waiting for some guy she can't even remember the name of now to pick her up from prom. This was a full on affair, a relationship and though she was the one to suggest it the gravity of the situation only really settled in at that moment.

The knock on the door was soft but Franchesca was quick to jump up anyways. Isabelle shouted out from the kitchen over the sound of her cooking but the young woman paid it little mind. Her hand clutched the side of her dress and rose it so she wouldn't trip as she made her way for the doors. It was the second time she'd unlock the doors that night, Amelia having left the three of them to enjoy their dinner earlier.

Franchesca swung them open, perhaps a little too eagerly, but the smile on her face was immediate. He was everything and better than what she imagined, a man who was too mature and too handsome to be even be compared to some teenage prom date. Her cheeks grew warm at his kiss and the formality of it all after everything they had already been through made it all the more endearing. Her eyes drifted to the flowers and then to the wine and her smile only grew wider.

"Good evening, Wolfgang. Please come inside." Franchesca told him as pleasantly as she could, muttering in her normal voice moments after he entered and she shut the door behind him. "Don't want to let this small town in on our forbidden romance after all." She looked to him but the sound of Isabelle Rossi's heels clicking against the floorboards required everybody's immediate attention.

"Look live--" Franchesca whispered before Isabelle, dressed up in a gorgeous red dress and an apron, appeared at the door way. She cried of joy at the sight of the both of them together, coming over and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Welcome, welcome! I'm so glad that you came Wolfie." She exclaimed, Franchesca snorting at her use of the nickname. Isabelle's eyes immediately trailed down to the flowers and she cried out in excitement, giving the both of them some time as she hurried off with both bouquets in hopes of finding them proper vases. Franchesca wasted no time, taking his hand in hers.

Turning to him she nodded towards the dining room. "Are you ready?"

The whirlwind that was Isabelle Rossi swirled down the hall with mighty winds. Wolfgang had to brace against her presence, the tail of her red dress fluttering against his trousers as she came up and pressed a kiss to his cheek. He reciprocated as politely as he could, though she was on a mission and pulled away from him the next minute, gathering in her arms all the flowers.

"I'm glad I'm here, Miss Rossi," he replied in a polite tone, putting on a small smile at the use of the nickname. Whether Franchesca had put that idea in her head, or she'd come up with it all her own, it amused him deeply, and he certainly didn't miss Franchesca's snort from a few feet off. She was gone as quickly as she'd arrived and as soon as she had, Wolfgang could only exhale a deep breath, processing just how overwhelming the whole situation was.

This was certainly not how he'd envisioned his semester going, not in the least, but given the choice, he wouldn't have changed any of it. "I'm not quite sure I am," he admitted, glancing to Franchesca. "But I'm as ready as I'll ever be." With one arm coiled around the bottle of wine, his fingers tangled up with Franchesca's. "Before we go though, I'm quite surprised your aunt is OK with all of this." He didn't know Isabelle well, but he hadn't expected anyone to be approving of their unusual, and taboo, relationship.

He counted his blessings.

"I'd explain why but I have a feeling like it'll come up, probably along with questions about intentions." Franchesca said as they paused. If anything dinner was going to be interesting. At that Franchesca brought him back into the familiar dining room, the tables were readjusted so they'd be sitting together and across from Isabelle. Amelia had argued it was way too much like an interview but Isabelle always got her way. At the center of the table were large golden trays meant to hold the actual plates of food her aunt was no doubt preparing behind the scenes.

"She'll probably come any minute now with starters, always has to put on a show." Franchesca mentioned, her hand resting on the back of the chair as she turned to face Wolfgang once again. "So any last words? Fears? If it helps I'm a little nervous too. She doesn't really know anything specific and I uh..." She rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly. "I haven't actually asked her about Germany yet but we'll just see how it goes, yeah?"

The feeling he felt must have been the last feeling felt by fish as they were pulled from the nets and struggled for air until death. His throat went dry, despite a hard swallow, as he proceeded behind Franchesca with grave hesitation in his step.

"She doesn't know about Germany?" he hissed in surprise. "We should be clear that I didn't invite you first off." He smiled, though felt dizzy. This dinner could go devastatingly and while he didn't particularly care about his career at the university, there could be bad outcomes just the same.

"You are a little she-devil," he mentioned offhandedly, just sort of shaking his head with an amused smirk. "Dragging me into this to help save parts of your own hide, hm?"

"I dragged you into this because I like you, and probably too much for my own good." Franchesca corrected with another one of her tilted smiles. She shrugged lightly, a laugh threatening her as she continued. "Saving my hide is just a very welcome side benefit to that." It seemed the young woman had more to say but Isabelle returned in full force. In her arms were the plates of the first course--the antipasto, because in typical Isabelle Rossi fashion, she simply had to treat the professor to a full course affair.

"Oh my, please--please go ahead and sit down." Isabelle told them, beckoning towards their seats as she set down a plate of small baked paninis to start the three of them off. She was a whirlwind, but she was old and things tended to slip her mind, things sometimes went unnoticed. "Oh dear, I forgot the drinks. Franchesca could you be a dear and grab something sweet from the bar?" She asked, too excited back when she greeted Wolfgang to see that he was more than well equipped with a bottle himself.

"At least you're honest," he said with a chuckle and pursued her into the dining room. Food was ushered out before their very eyes and he politely set the bottle of wine on the table before taking his seat, per instruction.

"This all looks very lovely," he began, though equally unsure how he was going to stuff himself full of all the courses if this was only the beginning. "And his long have you owned this Inn, Miss Rossi?" He'd seen it before, though he observed it more fully this time than the first. It was homely, charming, and smelled of deliriously good food. It was no wonder it was such a local sensation.

"I'm terrible of keeping track of years. I bought it off of some old geezer just a year after Franchesca here moved all the way to America." Isabelle smiled sweetly, looking up from her food only to notice just then what the professor had for them. She stood up, clasping her hands together as she called him the sweetest man around. "Forget what I said Franchesca, it looks like your man has everything covered. Do open it though!"

Your man. The reaction to the words was visible on the young woman's face, Franchesca turned to him, cheeks just a hint of red already as she took the bottle from him. Franchesca walked back into the kitchen, returning with glasses and a cork screw in hand. Isabelle sat down and like a polite goddaughter, Franchesca poured everyone the first of their poison.

Afterwards she sat down next to Wolfgang and Isabelle, as expected, beamed. "Alright," she began with a breath, the corner of her eyes wrinkling with her rosied smile."You must tell me everything. I am an old woman with no time for her own hot blooded romance." Isabelle laughed but continued on with a gesture of her hands.

"So please, allow me to live vicariously and young through the both of you."

Your man. Everything. Wolfgang was going to need a lot more than the small splash of wine provided to survive the dinner. Taking his glass by the stem and resisting the impulse to swallow it down in one go, he sipped it politely and set it down. Bargaining with his own brain, he promised another sip after a question answered. Except Isabelle's first question wasn't a question, and it was a doozie.

"Everything?" He echoes the word like he lost his grip on English and didn't understand what she was asking. For perhaps the first time in a while, he was flustered, truly speechless. "Well, I.. Franchesca..." There seemed to be no good way to start the subject of 'everything,' considering their everything was confusing and convoluted, on good days. Where did he begin between Rafael, a lighthouse, and an argument about pedestals and equals? About mutually assured destruction, white whales, and Sabine? Between horrible torture videos, an art competition, and an orange tabby cat?

He took another sip of wine, forgetting about his internally made bargain. "That's a very long story... the story of everything."

So I would imagine!" Isabelle bellowed, her laughter shaking her small frame and filling the room with warmth. Or maybe it was the generous amounts of wine Franchesca had come to consume over the last few exchange of words that was heating things up. For a moment she paused and entertained both possibilities in her mind.

"We kind of just fell into each other." Franchesca began in an effort to make it easier for the professor, her hand searching for his underneath the dining table. Isabelle turned to her in response and quirked a brow out of interest. Franchesca continued. "Though I'll admit that I blurred a lot of lines I probably shouldn't have."

She took another sip from her glass. "Don't regret it though."

Isabelle leaned back her eyes turning upwards along with the corner of her lips as she seemed to think profoundly. The old socialite looked back at the both of them and grinned. "Have you two had sex yet?" Franchesca snorted and descended into a fit of coughs as the wine went down the wrong pipe as a response.

At thirty five, Wolfgang had gone on his fair share of awkward and uncomfortable dates, certainly. This one took the cake, even though he never understood what that idiom meant. Franchesca helped with her comment, but the second question proved worst than the first and if he'd been left stumbling for answers before, he was speechless now.

Below the table, his fingers wound around Franchesca's, giving them a little squeeze as she descended into a hacking cough. Wolfgang reached for his wine and chugged, realising this was he hardest 'no' he'd ever have to utter. At very least, he was glad the answer was no. Not because he didn't wish to be with Franchesca in every way possible, but because saying 'yes, Miss, I've fucked your goddaughter' was the worst possible combination of words he could think to put together at the dinner table.

"No, we have not," he clarified in a voice that was as eloquent and refined as ever, even if in his brain, his thoughts were ripping him apart.

Oh?" Isabelle's expression shifted into that of genuine surprise, her plucked brows arching and her mouth opening oh so slightly. Franchesca knew her aunt wasn't afraid to tackle the tough topics but the second question? Really? The young woman sighed but smiled all the same as she added on to his answer.

"There's just been a lot going on so we're just trying not to get too caught up in the current." Franchesca said, her hand returning the squeeze he gave earlier. Whether she spoke for the both of them she wasn't entirely sure but it seemed a serviceable enough explanation.

Isabelle laughed again and paused to take a sip from her glass. She watched them from over the rim all the while and as soon as she placed the glass down she had advice ready to be given. "From my experience with affairs, I've learned that you don't wait for the right time, you make it."

Her words would have seemed almost sagely to her goddaughter had it not been said in context of when she should have had sex with her college professor.

"Find sometime in between class, lock a door--" She continued, but the sound of metal clanging against the stove in the kitchen was enough to interrupt her. Isabelle Rossi cursed, coming to a stand and smiling sweetly before excusing herself. "That must be the pasta boiling over, no worries. I'll be back soon."

The moment the older woman disappeared into the kitchen, Franchesca let out a sigh of relief though she knew this moment of respite wouldn't last long.

Her hand still woven in his, Franchesca turned to face Wolfgang, her expression somewhere between embarrassed and amused and her cheeks tinted a warm, warm red. "I expected her to be a little invasive but that...I was not expecting. Are you alright?"

"Ah, hah," was Wolfgang's only verbal response. For the first time in a long time, he felt genuine heat in his cheeks, and it burned a path all the way down the column of his spine. It wasn't the same heat he felt when Franchesca leaned in closed, so close he could feel the warmth of her body, and pressed a kiss against his skin. No, this was a prickling heat. The heat of genuine embarrassment. Affair? Between class and lock a door? He wondered for a moment if Isabelle thought him married.

It would have made sense, he supposed. Most men were at his age. The vast majority of his professor colleagues were married, though some recently divorced, as well. In fact, the only name he could pull to immediate mind who was his age and unmarried, and not ever divorced, was Dandelion. The similarity between him and Wolfgang heightened the man's mortification. As he continued to boil in his self-doubt, he was glad it was the pasta that boiled over first and not his own sense of sanity.

He slouched into his seat when Isabelle disappeared, reaching for the bottle of wine and pouring another healthy dose into his glass. From the corner of his eye, he could see Franchesca turning to him and he smirked, lolling his head in her direction. "My, that is quite the woman," he muttered. "So crass and unafraid to ask anything, hm? Are these questions going to get worse?" he asked, dropping his voice into a whisper. He was concerned how the questions could get much worse. What's next? She was going to ask him about personal dimensions of himself?

Still, he couldn't help crack a stupid grin, leaning forward to steal a quick peck from her lips. "It's worth it all, every question its weight in gold, to see you in a dress like that," he admitted. Despite the questions, he wouldn't have exchanged his place in the world for anyone else's.

"We won't manage to do much more than we're capable of in this matter, but we shall do our best and make sure it won't be much less. Now, bring on the questions."

Franchesca couldn't help but wonder if the crass and unafraid line was poking fun at her for being directly related to the socialite. For a moment she considered it, Rossi women were rather outspoken, but there was a difference she felt between her confidence and her aunt's shamelessness.

Franchesca was fixing to answer his question when an abrupt compliment and an even more unexpected little kiss took her breath away, and to a degree, some of her composure. At first she sat back stunned at his boldness but then her expression melted and a smirk came to mirror his.

She wriggled her fingers away from his, but only so she could slap Wolfgang playfully on the shoulder in the moment that followed. Her laugh was genuine and her cheeks redder than before. "Stop being so charming while I'm already flustered, damn it."

Before Franchesca could say or retaliate some more, Isabelle returned with a pot of Bucatini in a hearty red sauce. The old socialite wore gloves as she set it down at the center of the table, the room heating up at the steam that rose from the color. Suddenly it smelled distinctly basil, oregano and crushed peppers and Franchesca, as nervous as she may have been, was ready to eat.

"You two seem so stiff, lighten up! Though its just the three of us its a small dinner party the same." Isabelle proclaimed as she stood back straight, her fists coming to rest on the curve of her hips. "Drink, eat, laugh. What is life without such things! "

Franchesca laughed in return and shot Wolfgang a little happy look after she finished her the remaining of her glass of wine. She held it out to him for he was the one closest to the bottle.

"You heard the lady."

"And I am in no position to refuse," he agreed, reaching for the bottle of wine to pour out a share into Franchesca's glass with the same devilish smirk he had been wearing before. It was a subtle smirk, something so hardly noticeable, most wouldn't have noticed it at all because it only reflected minutely in the corner of his lips. It didn't form the usual dimples in his cheeks, nor did it incite any laugh lines, but in his eyes—in his eyes, it lit like a fire, amused and dangerous all the same.

He set the bottle down, which was now half gone, between the three of them, before picking up his own glass and drinking, more than sipping. A generous flood of relaxation followed as the wine quickly stole the edge from his personality and allowed his muscles to destress. His grip on Franchesca's fingers was more pleasant, than death defying, and he glanced to Isabelle with more ease than before. Perhaps he was using alcohol as a way to make the dinner a bit more enjoyable for himself, but he was not ashamed.

The food smelled delicious and it stole his mind from thoughts of sex to other means of indulgence. They were served, and without pause, Wolfgang purred in delight at the taste. "You are quite the cook," he told her with a smile, this one more genuine and dimpling his cheeks. "This is delicious. Again, thank you so much for having me this evening."

He wondered if he'd ever be able to look at food the same again after being spoiled with two dinners from Isabelle's kitchen. It hardly seemed fair. Suddenly, his meager lunches of smoked salmon, tomato, and baguette seemed dreadful in comparison.​

• Love
Reactions: Nav
Franchesca thanked him with a nod and tilted her head back as she took another gulp, another equalizing gulp. Things were awkward, yes but Isabelle knew just as well as her goddaughter did that alcohol and food were great at leveling the field out. Isabelle watched with proud eyes as they both drank a little more freely and before sitting down she grabbed her glass and had them cheers.

At some point during the dinner, Isabelle Rossi, in her typical fashion brandished a pack of cigarettes, taking one and lighting it between her lips before placing the rest by the wine. The familiar smell of tobacco mixed in with the spices and funnily enough it reminded Franchesca of home. Her mother smoked and her father cooked, a little inverted considering their time, but charming all the same.

Franchesca had been deeply appreciating her aunt's talent when Wolfgang spoke up and she watched the interaction with her eyes alone. Isabelle leaned comfortably into her chair, crossing her legs and draping one hand over the side while the other held her favorite vice.

"Stop it, Wolfgang. Anymore and you'll make me blush." She laughed though in reality her face was already painted a soft red. It was genetic. The old socialite shifted in her seat, a thought occurring to her before she snapped a finger Franchesca's way. The questions were back on it seemed.

"Tell me, Aria, what do you like most about this man beside you?" Franchesca's eyes widened and she glanced back at Wolfgang before meeting her aunt's gaze.

"Aunt Isabelle why do you have to ask questions like that?" Franchesca laughed, trying her best to shift the topic elsewhere but the practiced socialite was having none of it. The young woman rolled her eyes and laughed again before looking away from the both of them to search for an answer. Her gaze came back and though she was addressing Isabelle her eyes remained pointedly on Wolfgang.

"There really isn't just one thing. He understands me like no one else. His passion. His wit. His entire being. I'm smitten." The smile she gave him was made all the more sweet by the wine and Isabelle was more than satisfied by the answer. She made a mentioning of young love, which was a little amusing to Franchesca considering her lover's age, before turning to the professor.

"And what of you? What do you like so much about our dear Franchesca here?"

"That would be the point," he replied with a shrug. Perhaps it was a little bit shameless, and even a little bit below the collar, but h wanted Isabelle to like him—as a person, and as a boyfriend, or whatever it was he was to Franchesca. How childish the whole charade had become, but it was important to him, just as important as it seemed to be to Franchesca. Since his fiancée, he never had the opportunity to do anything romantic correctly, and this time, he was going to do everything the correct way, no matter the outcome at the end of it all.

He was nearly lost in his own thoughts when an unfamiliar name hit his ear and he glanced between the two women before settling on Franchesca, raising his eyebrows at the question, and following it with a little smirk, wondering what her answer would end up being. Her answer was hardly one thing, as requested, but it caused him to smile all the same. There she went, putting him on a pedestal, but he didn't mind so much this time around, because it wasn't a pedestal built on his art or his fame so much as it was about who he was as a person, as Wolfgang Reiter, and not the Wolfgang Reiter.

Of course, she returned to Dandelion's favourite word 'smitten,' and it caused him to chuckle ever-so slightly. "If dreamlike visions were stripped of all pretense and expectation, that is what Franchesca is. I am a person to her, and that is what I find most intoxicating of all because, over the past few years, people have spent more time treating me like an object, a painting hanging in a gallery. Franchesca has told me I was wrong more than right. I've had thousands of intelligent minds in my life that speak, but decidedly few patient hearts that listen."

Wolfgang swirled his wine, realizing he was getting a bit off track and that Isabelle wasn't likely to understand the meandering thoughts of his brain. "When I needed it most, she listened."

sabelle leaned onto the table to listen to him, propping the side of her head up with a hand and the trails of smoke from her cigarette travelling upwards and into her hair. Franchesca listened just as attentively from beside him, eyes focused and her lips begging to smile. Franchesca Aria Rossi found herself feeling bashful from his words and she nearly slapped his shoulder again because she both hated and loved how easily he could affect her.

"You two almost make me wish I would have stayed with the last man." Isabelle mused though whether it was thoughtful or playful it was hard to tell. She leaned back, smile lines flaring as her eyes darted between the both of them. Another alcohol fueled and generous laugh left her. The old socialite turned to Wolfgang but motioned in Franchesca's direction. "I've never seen her talk about or look at someone the way she does. Don't break her heart or else I'll have to come after you."

Whatever weight those words might have left was cast aside as she continued, coming to a stand and heading to the kitchen as she spoke. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to retire soon, after desert in fact, because if I see any more puppy eyes exchanged I'll have to go out and fall in love again myself. I'm the jealous type you see." Her warm laughter emanated from the kitchen and she returned with plated tiramisu. Isabelle Rossi set down two plates in front of them and sat with her own.

Her choice of words hadn't gone unnoticed but Franchesca paid it very little mind, at least for now. The young woman cleared her throat. "Actually, Auntie before you go there's something this weekend that we'd like to talk to you about." Underneath the table she kicked him, just like before.

Wolfgang smiled in his usual way at the threat. "I don't have the intention to," he clarified. It was true, but what the future held for them, he didn't know. She had a future of her own to forge in the world of art and whether that future would include him or not, it wasn't easy to decide so early on. What he could decide on was that, if the time came, he'd release her without argument to pursue her future. Until that time, he'd care for her— immensely.

The word love came up again and Wolfgang homed in on it, pondering the weight of it. He'd ascribed love to her in various ways: he loved her painting, he loved her spunk and fire. The though escaped him as he sipped his wine again, closing his eyes with an engaged smile.

"I'd never dream to keep you." Though the idea of dessert excited his senses. He had a huge sweet tooth and the word alone was enough to excite him. What didn't excite him was the sudden change in discussion. "We?" His eyes swivelled to Franchesca, just in time to receive a swift jab to the shin.

Later, he'd argue with her on the point but before Isabelle, he only sighed. "We do, yes. Franchesca?"

Franchesca made zero attempt to hide the side eye she gave the professor as he quickly and calmly threw the question right back to her to ask. Isabelle only looked on with amusement over the rim of her wine glass. Franchesca turned to her aunt, smiling sweetly, though it was overdone purposely.

"I've been invited to go to Germany, with Wolfgang." Franchesca said plainly, perhaps to the surprise of Wolfgang but definitely to the surprise to her goddmother. The old socialite tilted her head, a smile growing on her thin lips. "His mentor wanted to bring me as a guest and I suppose this is me asking for your permission."

"WELL OF COURSE, DARLING!" Isabelle cheered, tipping just a little bit of her wine over and onto the table. This time it was Franchesca who was a little surprised but her aunt wasted no time explaining her happiness. "There's so much opportunity for you there I'm so incredibly glad!"

Her eyes narrowed, a mischief rising in her expression so very similar to Franchesca's. "You, Wolf. A romantic getaway? Why in the hell would I ever get in the way of something like that? Though I do have to make you promise that you'll fly me out when you make it big Franchesca Aria--I mean it!"

Franchesca was still a little stunned, but she was quick to nod. "Paris. Berlin, wherever you'd like auntie." Isabelle smiled graciously at the words but once again turned to Wolfgang.

"And you. You must promise me that you'll keep her safe. Agreed?"

In his mind, Wolfgang was already coming up with a speech to justify why Franchesca should go. The exposure would be good for her career, her future, if it seemed all that thought was for naught. Isabelle agreed with a scream and it was loud enough to send Wolfgang jumping back in his seat. "I'm glad to hear it," he replied once his composure was back in order.

Catching and exchanging a glance with Isabelle, he chuckled. "She'll make it big in no time, of nothing have I been more certain." He'd be surprised to see her graduate, for he expected she'd be picked up long before then. He suspected she'd drop out to pursue opportunities long before she wore a cap and gown.

"I promise you on my life I'll keep her safe." From folks like Dandelion, who would attempt to take advantage of her given the opportunity. "Pinky promise."

Both women looked at him at the mentioning of a pinky promise. Franchesca's gaze was surprised, and then undeniably sweet. Isabelle's was curious and it remained that way as she stood up. The old socialite leaned over to reach him, offering her pinky and waiting for him to meet her before she spoke again.

"Very well, Professor! Pinky promise." Isabelle readily agreed, shaking his finger with hers before standing straight again. The smile she gave them was of course, incredibly warm. "And at that, I'm off to bed. These old bones aren't like they used to be." Franchesca nodded and was quick to stand and give her a kiss goodnight.

Isabelle Rossi then began for the stairs but paused, motioning towards Wolfgang for the last time that night. "Feel free to stay the night, professor it's awfully late. In fact, don't hesitate whatsoever--so long as Franchesca remains smitten with you and you feel the same you are family."

This time, Wolfgang knew the motions of what to do. He reached out and hooked Isabelle's pinky with his own, confirming the promise with a single shake of their hands. "Pinky promise."

Not only could he not live with himself in Franchesca didn't make it back in one piece, but also he knew he'd never survive the woman's wrath— old bones and all.

"Good night, Miss Isabelle," he replied, standing to kiss Isabelle's cheek before she departed. "Hm? Oh, thank you for the invite. I appreciate it." It was late and he was surprised just how much wine he'd put away. Enough that, upon standing, a dizziness rippled through his brain.

With a lightness in her steps and a warmth that tingled down to her bones, Franchesca came to Wolfgang's side, slipping her arm in his as her aunt retired upstairs. Now she never really considered herself a light weight but three glasses of wine felt really, really good.

"Okay." Franchesca breathed, her head resting against his shoulder once more. She spoke with relief and levity. "That went... well. I didn't expect it to go that well."

"It must have been my dashing, dazzling charm that swept her off her feet," he mused, mumbling his words in to the curls of her hair at the top of her head, smiling into the comforting and familiar scent of her shampoo he'd gotten so familiar with in the past days.

"And, you've been approved for the weekend. So, after classes on Friday, you'll have to make your way to the airport. Our flight is at eight at night." He'd just received the email confirmation that afternoon.

"All that dazzling charm and you still had to make me ask the question? Boo." Franchesca mumbled right back, nudging him playfully with her remark. Between the awkward questions, incredible cooking, and the alcohol the morning felt like a different time, at least for the time being, and she was grateful for it.

"Now... would you like to take the rest of that bottle, a blanket and a maybe a few pillows to the roof with me?" Franchesca asked, sluggish in her delivery and laughing afterwards. "It's not the sunroom but the stars are stars."

"Or we could go around the front desk and grab the keys to one of the nicer rooms with a lil' balcony and everything."

Despite the questions, it had been a lovely affair. Wolfgang was stuffed to the brim with wine and delicious food, and the company had, and continued to be, divine. His nose nuzzled affectionately against her hair, hooking his other arm around her shoulders and pulling her into a close, warm hug. "Thank you for having me, my heart," he murmured, before stepping back and considering the options.

"Either or," he said, considering the roof and the room. "What is your favourite? Take me there. That's where I wish to be, with the rest of the wine of course. And let's leave behind the glasses and drink straight from the bottle."

Franchesca was just as grateful for the embrace, taking his warmth and adding it to her own. My heart. She kissed him on the cheek before he could pull away and as the decision fell back on her, a finger came to her bottom lip while she thought.

"I like how you think, darling." She grinned, turning away to grab the rest of the wine in one hand and coming back to grab his with the other. Afterwards she lead him, a jump in her step and a looseness to her movements. They went to the desk and Franchesca fumbled around for a moment while looking for the keys.

Once she found them Franchesca was eager to then lead him up the stairs to the second floor, nearly running with giddy. They stopped only at the door at the very end, a faded silver number 5 held against the wood. "This is us," she cooed before turning the lock and leading him inside.

Franchesca did not bother turning on the lights, the moment the door shut behind the professor, she pushed him back against it--bringing her lips to his for another kiss. She could taste the wine from the touch and it only made it all the more sweeter.

"Mm, do you? Well good, because I'm not done drinking for the night." The giddy bubbles of alcohol swarmed his bloodstream. His head swam with dizziness, but not an unpleasant near-vomiting kind, but the kind that made it feel like he was walking on air. The floorboards below his feet felt soft, too soft to be wooden boards and he couldn't help but giggle. Heat rose into his cheeks and he covered his mouth with his hand, as if shy about the silly expression on his face. Wolfgang Reiter was a bit drunk.

And, as a bit drunk, he followed behind Franchesca with an unusual bounce in his step all his own. He leapt up the stairs with a youthful vigour not usual to the stern and aloof professor, once Franchesca had gotten the key. He didn't know where they we're going and, truthfully, it didn't matter. All that he cared about was that they were together.

"Is it?" He murmured, his voice quiet like he was afraid to wake someone. He followed her inside, fumbling in darkness, but her body was quick to guide him. He backed into the door, taking the bottle from her fingers only so he could set it on the nearby bedside table and properly clamp his arms around her, meeting her eagerly, hungrily, in that kiss.

The wine was already forgotten, Wolfgang's hands found their way to Franchesca's sides, fingers curling against the sloping bone of her hips.

Franchesca couldn't help but whimper again at his touch. It was louder, less reserved than it had been back on the floor of his office but that was no doubt because of the liquid courage coursing through her veins. It was pure heat all over again and it only threatened to grow hotter. Her hands ran from the angle of his jaw down across his chest, and to his midsection where she began to undo the buttons of his coat. That was all that she helped him take off, for now anyways.

"Let's... let's play a drinking game, yeah?" Franchesca suggested in between their kiss, she grinned against him nodding over to the nightstand. She enjoyed drinking it off of his lips but it'd be a shame to just leave the wine there hanging.

Freed of the buttons of his coat, Wolfgang twisted to slide his arms free, letting the garmet hit the floor. One hand returned to her hip, the other grabbed the bottle of wine by the neck.

"Alright," he replied, tilting his head back so his lips were out of her reach. "What are the rules?" His accent growing thicker the more he drank.

Franchesca freed herself from his embrace at his question, teasing him with the look in her eyes as she bent down to pick up the coat. She didn't explain herself as she dug through the pockets, she didn't explain her celebration at procuring one. The young woman simply took her professor's hand and walked backwards onto the bed, dragging him onto it with her.

"We take turns flipping this coin and guess before it lands." Franchesca began only when the two of them were both off of the floorboards, her voice low and her eyes narrowed mischievously. "Get it wrong once, you take a shot. Get it wrong twice and I tell you which piece of clothing to take off and vice versa."

"And I already got a bit of a head start." Franchesca lolled her head to the side, looking back at the coat she left by the door before turning back to him with a wink.​

• Love
Wolfgang's eyes followed her curiously as she pulled away, leaving a cool shiver up his spine. She slid her hands into his coat pockets and when she found what she was looking for, though he couldn't figure out what it was. What did he have in his pockets?

He didn't have to wait long for an answer. She dragged him towards the bed and he fell back against the mattress, sprawled out across his back, hands over his head, and listening to her explanation of the little game. "It seems you did, you little cheat," he said with a smirk, moving to sit up. "Since you already got my jacket, that means you must flip the Euro first then, hm?"

Wolfgang knew his luck was rarely good. He preferred logic to chance, though if he lost, he wouldn't be entirely disappointed. "So, what's it going to be? Heads or tails?"

"I never promised to play fair, professor." Franchesca said with a grin that was as equally wicked as it was sweet. She sat up just a little straight like him, tossing the coin lightly in between her hands as she thought of her first guess. A few seconds passed and with a small nod to confirm her decison, she flipped the coin upwards.

"Heads." Franchesca called before it fell against the bed and upon inspection she was right. The young woman exhaled, it was a solid start, and she was glad to hand the coin over to Wolfgang. "You're turn."

Wolfgang snorted when she removed her hand and the called side was laying face up. "You're off to a good start," he mentioned, scooping the coin up off the bed and balancing it on the tip of his thumb.

"Tails." The coin flipped and he caught it on his wrist. Pulling his hand away revealed heads. With a sigh, he reached for the bottle of wine and pulled down a generous gulp.

"Hm. Make sure to save some for me." Franchesca laughed, eyeing him as the bottle of wine went up, and then down. She wasted no time retrieving the coin and calling tails, only for it to land on the bed with heads upright. "Well, shit." Franchesca reached for the bottle and threw her head back lightly. It wasn't vodka but it would do and the warmth pulsed throughout her body. She looked back at him, smirking.

"Get it wrong this time around and the shirt is coming off, Wolfie."

"I haven't gotten it wrong yet," he reminded her, though he wasn't sure whether getting it right or wrong was what he preferred. Either way, taking the coin and calling tails, he pulled his hand away to prove himself correct. "What a shame for you. Seems I'll keep my shirt."

Franchesca groaned at the turn of events, leaning back with the bottle still in her hands. She shook her had as she came back to sit up straight. "It's a modern day tragedy, really. Also--heads." The coin went flying and when it landed the answer to her guess was tails.

She laughed, she laughed rather loudly but then something occurred to her and the amusement turned into something between fear and disbelief. Franchesca looked down at her dress and back at him.

"I... it occurs to me that I did not think this through." Franchesca admitted, eyes wide and a smile growing on her lips. She composed herself as quickly as she could however and cleared her throat. "Would you like to help or would you rather just watch?"

Wolfgang grinned at his sudden stroke of luck, and Franchesca regrettable downturn. She clearly hadn't thought it through, for he had a number more articles of clothing than she did, given their current choice of attire. Then again, she probably hadn't expected to lose.

"What kind of gentleman do you think I am?" He mused devilishly. "Of course I'm going to help. Naturally, you could always buy your way out of his conundrum."

"Buy my way out?" Franchesca questioned lightly, stopping to consider her options with a small tilt of her head. It wasn't a bad idea but on the end she decided there were worse things in life than having Wolfgang Reiter strip her. Her smile grew and Franchesca shook her head. She turned around and leaned forward, exposing the ties of her dress and the long slope of her back.

"Just undo the hard knots for me." Franchesca said, the smirk that found her more heard rather than seen. She shifted, just a little shake of the hips, and turned back a moment to face him playfully. "Oh and flip the coin again when you're done."

"Mhm," he agreed. If she really was opposed to the idea of stepping out of her dress, he wasn't going to force her, though he'd expected some level of retribution, as she was the one who started the whole game. After a moment of weighing her options, she put her back to him with instruction.

His hands traced down the column of her neck, fingers sliding through the ties and with an extreme carefulness, tugged the knots loose. Before he released her, he leaned forward and pressed a kiss to her left shoulder. "Alright, alright," he murmured, his hand finding the coin, which was decidedly much less interesting than her skin. He flipped and removed his hand from over top.

"Looks like I was wrong." The wine was swallowed down.​

• Love
Wolfgang gave her goosebumps, it was just one of the things he always had on her. His hand brushed against her skin and Franchesca couldn't help but bite down on her lip. The grip of the dress grew looser and looser with each knot he undid, his hands slow and incredibly precise.

Her arms wavered underneath her as they propped her up but whether that was because she was a little drunk or because of the soft kiss the professor planted against her shoulder she wouldn't be able to tell you.

The dress slid off of her form and she turned back around to face him. Normally she would feel cold but in that moment... well, the heat was apparent on her cheekbones alone. She shot him a lopsided grin, opting to rather not comment on her mismatched underwear as he threw back another gulp of wine.

"Tails." Franchesca spoke confidently, alcohol making her unafraid to look Wolfgang right in the eye. The coin landed heads and she cursed, laughing once more before pressing the sweet rim of the bottle against her lips. The young woman leaned forward to hand the coin back to him. If she was embarrassed or ashamed, the only thing to show for it was how flushed her face had become.

"Hm, the wine is nearly gone," he mentioned as he handed the bottle out to her after another unfortunate miscall on her behalf. The wine proved potent enough though and he was seeing stars. He wobbled a bit under the softness of the bed, using his hand to balance him as he reached for the coin.

"Tails," he said as he flipped it through the air. He missed catching it, his sense of depth perception all sorts of warmed. When it landed on the bed, heads up, he threw his head back into a laugh. "I guess it's my turn. What's coming off?"

Everything about Wolfgang was different than it usually was. His English was worsening with each swig of wine, but he seemed... happy. An easy expression was on his face, not at all annoyed at the downturn of the game. Had he been sober, he might have thought about how long it'd been since he'd last felt so joyful, but he wasn't sober, he was drunk. Drunk, and happy.

Franchesca was very, very happy with the latest result. She leaned backwards, her hands going even farther than her head as they kept her from falling right onto her back. She took a moment to examine him less than seriously, complete with the squint of an eye and a finger pressing on her lip. Her hand rose, and single finger twirled as she spoke.

"Hmmm. Pants? Pants." Franchesca answered a moment later, the contentment on the professor's face coming to mirror itself on her own. "We'll take smaller sips next round. I won't rest until you are in your underwear as well!"

"Didn't you just say uhh-- vor ein paar minuten, oh," he murmured, shaking his head as he lapsed back into his native tongue. It took him several moments to retranslate what he intended to say in English. "Didn't you just say a few minutes ago that you were going for my shit? Hm, very well."

He kicked his legs over the side of the bed to stand, unbuttoning his trousers and sliding them down and pooling them on the floor before falling back on to the bed in little more than his button-up, an undershirt, and his deep navy boxers. She'd already stolen his jacket, leaving precious little left, though at least he wasn't in only a dress, his eyes grazing across the length of her legs.

"Alright, du bist dran. Your turn, mein herz."

Franchesca didn't know what he was saying but she knew it sounded hot when he said it. She watched oh so happily as he stripped down, the click of his belt causing her to perk up slightly from behind him. He turned and she nodded, giving him her approval with a smile. "Those walks to and from and campus are really putting in work in the leg department huh?"

She took the coin and tossed it into the air. "Heads."

And indeed, it landed on heads. She let out a small celebratory shout before quickly tossing the coin right back in the professor's direction. "That shirt is mine, you just don't know it yet." She declared.

"You been, have, less lucky than I have so far, I would say," he murmured, shaking his head. "English has gotten much, much harder now, right now." Oh, he knew he wasn't speaking it correctly, and he ended up chuckling. Taking the coin from her he flipped it, barely managing to catch it on the back of his wrist that time.

"Tails." Indeed, when he pulled his hand away, it was exactly as he called. "Not any closer to my shirt." The coin was handed back towards her with a dangerous smirk. He laughed like ripples in a still pond after a stone was thrown in. It radiating outwards, growing in momentum, but he tried to silence himself.

Unfortunately, everything became momentously more hilarious when he wasn't allowed to laugh.

"One day I'll learn your native language." Franchesca mumbled happily though it was vague whether it was her speaking or the drink. It'd be nice though, she thought, to be able to communicate with him in three languages. She let out an audible tsk and a shake of her head at the latest flip but took the coin all the same.

"My gut is saying heads." Franchesca winked, learning seconds later that her gut was wrong as the coin came up and then right back down. Tails looked right back up at her and Franchesca sat there once again with disbelief written on her face.

Her eyes drifted up from the euro and up back towards Wolfgang. Franchesca's question of what to take off was asked in the form of a bite of her lips.

"Austrian German? I can... can teach you," he muttered, his English not only worsening, but his words slurring ever-so slightly. He wasn't to the point of being a messy drunk, but it was clear his senses were tingling with silliness and pleasure. A healthy blush formed in his cheeks and he couldn't swipe that stupid smile off his face, the dimples as deep and present as ever.

"Your gut was wrong," he mused when they saw the coin together. "You are bad at this game... very bad. Terrible. Stick to your day job of... art, yes, art. Hm." He stole the coin by sliding it over the duvet covering with one finger, his eyes flicked up and watching her.

He knew what two wrong flips in a row meant, and she had so few articles left to her name. The smile on his lips softened from a deviant smirk to something amply kinder. There were times, like that one, when Franchesca made him feel so young inside, but not in a childish way. She woke the purest side of him, the best side, all the facets of himself that only required affection to be healthy and whole.

"Your hair-tie," he said, motioning towards the tightly wound bun on top of her head. "Take it off. I like when your hair is down."

The coin was flipped and as it was up in the air, Wolfie called heads. It landed, revealing he had been correct.

Franchesca looked at him expectantly but his request caught her off guard. She hadn't thought to consider it an article but if it was he liked well... the young woman was happy to oblige.

"Very well." She told him with a candid smile, her hand rising up one moment and her hair cascading downwards the next. It came in dark waves, her hair and Franchesca took a moment to comb through it all with her fingers.

His incredible amount of luck might have made her a little annoyed had she not been practically floating on the wine and Wolfgang's presence. Despite her track record to that point, she felt like getting even riskier. The amount of drink they had left was dwindling and with a smirk she made a suggestion.

"Alright, Wolfie--I have a lil' suggestion for yeah since we're coming to the end of the bottle here." She began. "Every wrong guess means one article of clothing. Just one, not two. Not anymore."

Her laugh was warm and infectious. Franchesca did not wait for his answer before calling out heads and cheering as, finally, she was correct.

"Alright, we can do that. How about this... uh, if you get it wrong, you drink, and take off an article?" Wolfgang Reiter was not a man who left a fifty Euro bottle of wine get left unfinished, though he was surprised at how little alcohol it took to put him on his ass these days. There'd been a time in his life when he could have put away an entire bottle himself without a bat of an eyelash, but those days were long behind him.

As Franchesca pulled her hair free, he admired the long, dark curls turned glossy in the low light. She was as beautiful as ever, but there was something about her when her her hair was down that just took his breath away. He was so engrossed in the image of her, he barely noticed she flipped the coin and got it right.

"Alright, well done. Heads." The coin glimmered as it flipped through the air, landing on the bed tails side up. "It seems I've become the change in rules first... what's that word?" He shrugged. "Victim. Yes, victim. Alright, what will it be?"

"A drink, an article of clothing and a kiss." Franchesca was quick to add with mischief and joy alike glimmering in her gaze. She watched him toss the coin and laugh brilliantly as it seemed lady luck was finally looking her way.

"Need I even say? The shirt goes, professor. The shirt goes." Franchesca said, waving off his question as she leaned forward and got on all fours to plant a quick kiss on his cheek.

"No, I suppose you don't," he agreed, tossing the betraying coin on to the mattress and going to undo each button of his shirt as slowly as possible, revealing below the white t-shirt as the last line of defense between his chest and Franchesca's deviant smirk. The button-up undone, he tossed it aside. A kiss just happened to be his consolation prize and he smiled into it.

"Thank you," he murmured, reaching for the bottle of wine and taking a sip. "I think it's your turn."

New
The white t-shirt was cruel, Franchesca thought but the smile remained in her eyes while a frown momentarily took up her lips. The young woman cast it away however with an overblown wave of her hand and nodded as she grabbed the coin next.

"It'll be heads." Franchesca assured him with a very, very confident nod. The coin went up and truly it seemed like the tables had turned on the professor. She grinned and slid it back over to him.

Oh, how the tables had suddenly turned on him. That was the way of luck though, with you one moment, gone the next. Weighing the coin in his palm, he flipped it over a few times, second guessing his first choice. "Uh, hm, heads."

When the coin landed, he blew a puff of hot air out from his nose, for it proved to be tails.

"T-shirt?" he asked, taking a swig from the wine.

"You read my mind, darling." Franchesca mused, completely and perfectly pleased to watch him join her in just wearing their underwear. She tilted her head and watched him for a moment before continuing with a seemingly innocent question. "Would you like the kiss before or after?"

"After," he clarified, reaching back over his shoulders to pull off his shirt. With the glaring white shirt discarded, Wolfgang was half shadow in the low light, every muscle on his torso and shoulders flowing from light into dark. Goose bumps rose along his exposed skin, the powerful line of his shoulders painting an intimidating picture as he leaned forward, perching on his hands towards her.

"Now, about that kiss."​

• Love
"What about the kiss?" Franchesca asked calmly, feigning innocence even in the face of such an impressive sight. She adored him in clothes but without them it grew into something deeper, something a lot more primal. It was hard to keep up the act with the way his shoulders rippled and the way the wine colored his lips a pleasant red, but she maintained her composure as her eyes lighted up.

"Ah! I remember now... you were talking about this kiss." She suddenly 'recalled', grinning mischievously before planting a quick one right on the tip of his nose. "And this one..." She continued, moving over to his right and planting a series of them across the surface of his cheek bones. The young woman didn't stop there, she made it a point to seemingly kiss everything on his face except his lips, and that was what she did in between chuckles.

Pulling away she stopped to take a look of him once more, the smell of wine so strong between them. It dawned on her that he had just had dinner with her aunt. The only man she truly cared about had met the only woman who she still considered family. It was a big deal and though tonight did not go the way a typical meet-the-family dinner went, it occurred to her that everything had felt right.

She supposed it made sense. They did not have a traditional night because they weren't traditional people. They would never be boxed in by a picket fence. Maybe one day things wouldn't be as intense as they were now, but at the same time maybe they would. In that moment Franchesca sobered up enough to make the decision to no longer worry. Whatever happens, happens and she hoped with all her heart that Wolfgang and her would last.

And that's why, with very little warning, she kissed him in a way that she hadn't all evening. The closest had been the first embrace they shared at the door of the room, but this one was more ravenous than the last. It was more desperate. It couldn't compare, and Franchesca couldn't help but push against him. The professor had leaned forward but she wanted him on his knees. She pushed herself up on her own, arching her neck as she peaked so their kiss could go on and on and on.

For the second time that day however, Franchesca had to hold herself back from going all the way. It would have been so easy, so easy to just give into the physical need and the intense desire to be with Wolfgang in whatever way she possibly could. But even through the warmth and the haze of the alcohol, even through the smoldering heat between their bodies, and even despite what her aunt had said about making the right time... Franchesca knew in her chest that tonight would not be the night she made love with Wolfgang Reiter.

That didn't mean they couldn't get a little bit close though.​

• Love
The peppering of her kisses, moving all over his face and neck, brought a smile to his lips. He closed his eyes and let her have her fun, though the heat in his cheeks rose, and this time, it wasn't because the alcohol. Each one was soft and light, tickling whatever skin her lips touched, damp with wine. The smell of the rich, earthy alcohol hovered in the space between them, though the last sips of the bottle were long forgotten. The coin, too, disappeared in the folds of the duvet as their bodies wrinkled it with the movements, but Wolfgang couldn't have cared less about the game any longer.

Coaxed up off his hands, Wolfgang reared back on to his knees and heels, winding his arms around Franchesca and dragging her in closer when she pressed that tantalizing kiss to lips. His fingers curled into the bare skin of her back, letting the pads of his fingers traverse the slight troughs and ridges of her spinal column all the way up to the ends of her hair. From there, they tangled up in the tresses, pressing the back of her head ever-closer to his own, relishing in the pressure of the kiss shared.

When it broke, though only by a few slight centimeters, Wolfgang smiled with a sigh. He didn't dare open his eyes, not because he didn't enjoy the sight of her, but perhaps he'd enjoy it too much if he did. Instead, he enjoyed not seeing anything at all. He could feel her breath over his neck, the flutter of her eyelashes when she got in too close, every touch, every caress.

"I'm drunk," he murmured. Perhaps it wasn't the romantic set of words to put together in the moment, but she had his brain on short circuit, and he couldn't think of anything else. Deciding words were wasted in the situation, he tightened his grip on her and fell back. His head fell into the plush pillows, threatening to swallow him whole, and he kept his arms tangled around the beautiful woman.

It was only then he finally allowed his eyes to open. Just a crack, so he could barely make out her form between a beam thick, black lashes. His eyes were attracted to the curves and planes of her body with a kind of heady trance that brought butterflies to nectar.

His thumb trolled the length of both of her hip bones. When he reached the point of the joint, he stopped and returned his gaze up towards her.

"You make me happy, Franchesca." He hummed softly. "Everything in life is transitionary, every emotion fleeting, every thought giving way to a new one, but I've not felt this way in a very long time." The words seemed startling sober, standing in stark contrast to the dumb, drunken smile that crept over his lips in the next moment.

"If I flip the coin again, do I get another kiss?"​

• Love
Franchesca parted from him with a heavy huff, her hair a mess in his hands and as she came to lean against him, her heart a hurried and rhythmic beat against his skin. Looking at him in the low light God she wished things were different, that tonight had happened exactly the way it did but on different terms. Franchesca wanted her professor so desperately bad that the only thing keeping her from going insane was the constant reminder that it was for the best.

She nearly whimpered at the frustration when he officially announced that the drink had taken him. Instead Franchesca laughed and let out an uncharacteristic squeal as his arms tightened around her and they were both sent tumbling back down onto the bed together. She let herself laugh louder once they were on each other, skin brushing against skin with each small movement.

The immediate silliness of the situation faded slowly and so did Franchesca's giggles. Her smile was wide and unforgivably happy because in that moment that was what she was. That was what Wolfgang was capable of making her be. His eyes fluttered open and hers came to watch him, a shot of warmth running through her as they trailed the outline of her body. She took one breath and held the rest, jumping lightly as his hand ran down to her hip and relaxing as it came to a slow stop.

His words caught her off guard and she paused for a moment to take it all in. Suddenly she sniffled and slapped him on the shoulder again. "Alcohol makes me emotional you idiot! Don't... make me... cry." Another sniffle, the young woman did her best to casually flick away the wetness at the corner of her eye. She adjusted herself quickly after, scooting closer so she could bury her head by his shoulder and place a leg fearlessly over his as if he was a big pillow.

Franchesca got all mumbly against him, nuzzling the top of his shoulder before planting a small kiss where she brushed against. "If it lands on heads you kiss me. If it lands on tails I kiss you."​

• Love
Doubt was inherent to Wolfgang's personality. He'd always been a very cautious individual, even as a child. He wasn't the type to jump his bike off a ramp and into the lake like some of the other boys his age, and he never learned to trust readily. A therapist might have suggested that was a direct result of his upbringing, but either way, it was natural for him to begin to ponder Franchesca's intentions for a moment as they settled down on the bed. He smiled to her as she wrestled with sniffles and smacked him on the shoulder.

"Oh, come now. In Austria, there is a proverb that says, uh," he paused to translate, "old men and poodles are good for nothing. Maybe that is mostly true, but I'm good at this. I'm good at making students cry, apparently." He ended up laughing, rolling his head to the side.

His arm curled around her shoulder as she flopped back against him, her one leg curling around his body, her head nuzzling up against his shoulder. Meanwhile, he stared up at the ceiling with eyes at half-master, pondering a great number of things and drunken, internal ramblings. If she was using him for her own gain, whether that be to propel her career forward or otherwise, she was doing quite a good job of it.

He believed her feelings genuine, even if he doubted his own judgement of people. He'd never been a particularly good evaluator of character, as he'd been taken advantage of time and time again for his soft heart and tenderness. Maybe Franchesca was just another in a long line, but if nothing else, she showed him he could fall in love again.

After Emma, he thought it impossible. He thought he'd been given but once chance, and he failed it, but perhaps that wasn't true after all. In contentment, Wolfgang purred a sigh, his eyes dancing over her face, hidden half in shadow. "I call heads," he murmured, not bothering to find the coin before closing what little distance remained between them and planting a kiss on to her lips.

His arm hugged her closer, realizing little would be as unfortunate in his life as that night ending. Nothing seemed as unfortunate, but nothing seemed as inevitable. They both had so much to accomplish before their departure Friday night. Friday seemed like an impossible distance away. Lessons, students, grading that he hadn't even looked at… it begin to build in his mind, but he forced all those thoughts away with a sigh and focused, instead, on the tickle of her hair against his chin, and the smell of her shampoo.​

• Love
Franchesca discerned from the lack of movement that no coin had been flipped, but she didn't mind. She felt him shift and the young woman matched her movements to his, tilting and raising her head for one more kiss. It was soft, sweet and even after all they had already done it still had that hint of red wine. She settled back into her spot snugly wrapped around him, murmuring against his shoulder.

"You make me happy, Wolfgang." Franchesca told him, smiling as her eyes fell close and didn't open again until it was morning.

Franchesca hadn't realized she had fallen asleep until the distinct and immediate throb behind her eyes reminded her with a dizzying amount of pain everything that had occurred the previous night. There were moments that were, naturally, a little blurry to recall but all the basics were there. Dinner, drinks, kisses, stripping. No sex. Those two words repeated in her head alongside the throb. No sex.

Franchesca turned to watch for a moment, the man she was laid up with. Much to her surprise she had woken up before Wolfgang. He looked peaceful when he slept, when his mind wasn't constantly whirling with thoughts and reflection. It made her not want to wake him even more... because as happy as they were together a hangover was never something anyone who had one would wish upon someone. Maybe he'd sleep it out, she wouldn't rob him of the opportunity. So Franchesca untangled body from his as best as she could, she turned once she freed herself and planted both feet on the floorboards.

She was still a little wobbly as she made her way over to where her dress had been cast aside. She paused to steady herself but it became apparent the moment she went to bend down and pick her clothes up up, it hadn't been enough. The dryness, the intensity in which the alcohol surged, she knew it all too well. Vodka was her greatest vice, at least up until Wolfgang and while wine wasn't her typical poison it had done the job.

Thankfully, Franchesca made it to the bathroom toilet before Wolfgang could wake up to anything unpleasant. Well, aside from the sound of her vomiting anyways.​

There was one pleasant thing before sleep, though rest never came easily to him. He slept in short interludes most night, plagued by the workings and activity of his own mind. That night proved no different.

He was stuck in the same spiral staircase again. No matter if he went upstairs or down, he kept coming back to the same spot. A lightbulb overhead shone, and it was the only light in the whole place. The rest was dark, stonewalls, stone steps, stone celling. There was a single door on a landing opposite of the step below the light. It never opened. Every night, he was given but two choices: walk in circle after circle, or stop and wait until the nightmare was over. After thousands of attempts to escape it, Wolfgang chose the easiest way—to stand under the light and wait for himself to wake up. He never understood how he knew it was a dream, but every time he was in the staircase, he knew it wasn't reality.

He took a few deep breaths, trying to make himself comfortable. Above, the light began to float. The bulb plucked itself from its cord and hovered towards the door. A man walks out. He would have been just an ordinary man had Wolfgang not knew his face immediately.

"It hurts," the man whispered. His cheeks burned with a terrible light, so bright Wolfgang had to blink and shield his eyes away from it. When he finally was able to blink away the light blindness and peer out from below his hand, shielding his brow, he watched as the burns crawled up Rafael's face. They didn't stop at that horrible smile, instead continuing to burn his nose, his eyes, his hair until his skin began to peel away from his skull underneath.

He awoke without warning, eyes flung wide. After a second or two, his hands gripping nothing but empty duvet, his head turns in the direction of the loo door, behind which echoed the sounds of sickness. The cold sweat across his skin chilled him and he moved to sit up, swiping his hands over his face as he shook the last of the nightmare from his brain, as best as he could. It wasn't hard when his mouth was dry and the aching in his skull ebbing and flowing like a cold tide. Pressure mounted in his skull, and the smell of the still open wine bottle on the nightstand, so intoxicating the night before, added to his nausea.

He managed to swallow down any sensation of sickness, holding his alcohol marginally better than Franchesca. With his hands still cradling his head, his cheeks flushed with a feverish heat, he groaned and brought his legs over the side of the bed.

"Good morning, sunshine."​

"The sunshine can fuck off." Franchesca breathed, ragged and disjointed as she forced herself to stand and flush the toilet. Vomit was something you expected when you drank as much as they did but that didn't make it any less disgusting. Shivering and not daring to look at herself in the mirror, Franchesca propped herself up on the sink and bent down to get some water to gargle.

The young woman returned to Wolfgang slowly thereafter, rubbing her eyes as she approached to him, but being able to tell something was off all the same. She stopped to examine him for a moment, he looked like he did yesterday in his kitchen. She cleared her throat. "Are you alright my darling?"

A snap of pain in her head caused her to cringe and she held herself for a moment, groaning her next words. "If Amelia is here I'll call for her to get us something to dull the pain."

Wolfgang slid his hand away from his face and flicked his eyes up to Franchesca, though his chin was still bowed downwards under the weight of his own head. His neck seemed barely able to support the weight of it, and every muscle through his shoulders and back cried with pitiful aches. It'd been a long time since alcohol, or any substance, made him feel as bad as he did that morning.

"I'm alright," he clarified when he caught that serious, questioning look in her eye. "I had a slight nightmare last night, is all. Creativity, as it were, is prone to as many nightmares as it is daydreams."

He'd had them since he was a kid: nightmares. They'd been terrors when he was younger, shaking him awake with a terrible screams and sobs. As he got older, the nightmares didn't get any better, but he grew more apt to handle them quietly, and without burdening anyone else.

In that way, the pounding in his skull was a blessing. It distracted him from meditating on Rafael's scorched face any longer than he had to. His throat went dry and he swallowed, though it did little to help. Cocaine helped once because it shut off the worst of his brain. Apparently, hangovers worked much the same, though less pleasantly.

Even if it felt like an axe was splitting the back of her skull Franchesca still had a feeling in her gut that there was something more to his distress than just a simple night terror or their mutual hangover. She pouted but let it go for now, sluggishly moving to the phone next to the bed so she could call for Amelia at the front desk. The old faithful maid always came in early, she even had a spare key.

Distancing herself from the ring of the dial tone, Franchesca placed the receiver to her chest and sat down next to him. She leaned against his shoulder but only slightly. "I'm not sure why I thought getting wasted on a Tuesday night was a good idea." She admitted with another groan, placing her free hand on his knee and brushing her thumb across it casually.

Amelia's voice came through the phone and Franchesca was quick to react, asking in Italian for painkillers and a glass of water. More phone fuzz came through in response and Franchesca perked up for a moment, turning to the professor. She squinted her eyes and made a mental note to drag the curtain by the balcony shut.

"Amelia's asking us if we want her to cook something to bring up as well."

From the look in her eye, he knew he hadn't fooled her entirely, but she didn't press the matter and Wolfgang chose not to elaborate. She was right, it was Tuesday and they had more important things to attend to: like, how she was going to survive lectures, and how he was going to survive giving them. He didn't take absenteeism lightly, for himself or for his students, and he couldn't bring himself to call in and cancel his two classes. They weren't until afternoon, anyways, so he'd have plenty of time to go home and even nap before them, if he so chose.

"It was a horrible idea," he concurred without a pause. "But also a mistake you sometimes need to make in life." It hadn't been a horrible idea the night before, and he certainly wouldn't exchange the memories of their night for a hangover free morning. It was but a small price to pay to feel the bed depress next to him, a weight on his shoulder, and a warm hand on his knee. It was still early enough in the morning that he allowed himself a sluggish start.

He rested his chin on the top of Franchesca's head, closing his eyes and feeling her conversation through the small shifts. It wasn't until he was asked a question did he crane his neck and open his eyes slightly. "Hm?" Breakfast sounded both like a great, and a terrible, idea, all at the same time. "That sounds… we should probably try to eat something."

Though by that time, he felt more like he was intruding on the kindness of strangers than anything. He wasn't paying to be at the Inn, though he'd thought of a way to repay Isabelle's benevolence, though it'd take him some time to complete.

ranchesca nearly nodded at his response but realized just how terrible of an idea that would be considering both the status and position of their heads. So she simply brought the receiver back up to her ear and told Amelia to bring them whatever was convenient to make. Franchesca's arm wasn't long enough to return the phone without disturbing the professor resting against her so she didn't bother. She simply tossed it aside and let herself rest a little more against the weight of his body. Her eyes came to a close and even though the throb remained she let out a breath.

"I'd be kissing you right now you know, if I could." Franchesca noted with a calm smile, nuzzling against him but very, very tenderly.

He ought to have gotten dressed, knowing that Amelia would eventually be on her way up. Looking over his clothing strewn across the floor, he sighed, and couldn't find the energy to do so. Everything felt so far away, and bending down seemed like it would be a painful task.

"That's okay," he replied, hooking his arm around her shoulders as she curled into him. He didn't need to be kissed in that moment, for he had more than enough affection exactly as they were. "You can kiss me later, how does that sound?"

Across town, though heading their way, Antoine was up on his bike and weaving through the traffic. Sweat dimpled his brow, which was nuzzled down his face into a concerned scowl.

"Pinky promise." Franchesca chuckled though the small finger she presented to him shortly made it apparent it was no joke. She made a noise of content against him, like a laugh that emanated from her chest rather than her mouth.

"Pinky promise," he agreed, hooking his finger around hers and giving it a playful little shake, though doing so rattled something loose in his brain and the sledgehammer began its pounding of his cranium once more. He grunted, winced, and closed his eyes to lull against Franchesca just a moment longer.

"Alright, let's get in to... clothes, or something," he mumbled, his hand ghosting down her side once before weaseling his way out from underneath her. He wobbled once on his feet, catching his balance on the post of the bed, before going to collect each item of clothing and put it on in reverse order he'd taken it off in.

"If Amelia were to walk in on us she'd probably just smile politely, back away and run immediately to my aunt to gush like high school girls. We'd never hear the end of it." Franchesca mused with another groan at his movement. He was right though and soon enough she followed after him, coming back to her dress and taking her time slipping through all the right holes. Soon enough it came to drape against her frame properly but loosely.

"Wolfie, dear, can you please tie me back up?"

He managed to get dressed, looking decidedly more disheveled than he had the night before. He looked to the open back of Franchesca's dress with some regret to her request. "Only if I must," he agreed, stepping up behind her. Before reaching the lace strings, his fingers tickled the column of her neck. His palms spread across her shoulder blades, and a peck found its way to her shoulder. Only then, did he begin to pull the strands into a knot.

Downstairs, Antoine tossed his bike at the rack and raced up the steps to the familiar inn, banging on the door.​

• Love
It was the little things that helped her fall in love with him too, she admitted. His playfulness was met with a smile and though she wished to do more to him in response her body simply wouldn't allow it. Instead she just tilted her head to the side and sighed as the professor help put her dress back on. The knock on her door was well timed, Amelia's voice calling out for the both of them just as Wolfgang finished Franchesca up.

The young woman opened the door for the old maid, the little Italian woman smiling brightly before the both of them but there was no tray in her hands. Franchesca's brow quirked curiously.

"Miss Isabelle would like to have breakfast with you downstairs." She explained in a mixture of accented English and Italian. If she was certain that the pain wouldn't kill her, Franchesca would have rolled her eyes. Instead, she obliged and with a nod motioned for Wolfgang to follow them.

The three of them descended the stairs, each step to their painkillers quite literally torture but when they approached the foyer they were greeted by a surprise--Isabelle not waiting for them at the dining table but approaching the front door. Franchesca thought little of it till her aunt swung the door open and she saw who was standing there.

"Antoine?"

Once Amelia had gone, Wolfgang turned to Franchesca and mouthed, wordlessly, 'are you kidding me?' He could barely stand-up without falling over, and putting on his button-up had taken three attempts because he kept getting the buttons wrong, skewing the front. He couldn't imagine sitting at a table and trying to hold pleasant enough conversation.

"Alright, alright," he murmured, following after her as they went down the stairs, Wolfgang barely able to keep his legs beneath him, though he felt weak and disoriented. The further he walked, the dizzier he became, and the hell that greeted him the foyer nearly caused his stomach to kick up whatever contents were left.

Swallowing back the bubble of vomit that crept up his throat, Wolfgang could only raise his eyebrows when Franchesca uttered the student's name.

"Hey," Antoine greeted Franchesca with a soft, shy smile that hardened into a frown when his eyes leaped past her shoulder and fell on Wolfgang. He stood, staring at his professor for a long, silent second.

"Professor... Professor Reiter? What are you doing here?"

"Uh, huh," Wolfgang muttered, groping for a logical explanation, but there wasn't one to be found.

Franchesca was stunned, indeed for a moment everybody seemed stunned--even good old faithful Amelia. The only person who wasn't caught off guard, the one who did not know nearly as much as all the others present in the situation, was Antoine. Franchesca readjusted the strap of her dress, looking back at the professor and back at Antoine. She still didn't have an answer.

It was Isabelle Rossi who came in to save the day. She cleared her throat and suddenly the socialite, in her old silk nightgown, was back on charm mode. "Come on inside, Antoine dear. You look so sad out there all on your lonesome. Share some breakfast with us." She turned to motion him inside but the expression she had for the three on the staircase was hardly that of motherly concern. It was intense and said a million words alike.

Once Antoine was inside and the door was shut behind him, she turned back to face him smiling as bright as ever. "The Professor is here because I wanted to commission a painting of him, you see. I knew he'd be awfully busy during class hours so I requested him to come last night."

"Now I'm sure you are aware of the awfulness happening at your school so I offered him a drink from our bar when he arrived. It nearly knocked him off of his feet!" Isabelle's laugh was just the same as the one she had roared at the dining table last night. Franchesca watched her work in awe. "I should have known better, tsk tsk... but I made it up to him by letting him stay in one of our rooms."

Isabelle turned back to them once again, brown eyes pointedly on Wolfgang and an innocent smile on her lips. "Isn't that right, Professor Reiter?"

If Wolfgang Reiter hadn't felt like he owed Isabelle before, he certainly did now. His heart thumped painfully in his chest, drowning out the pain in his head. Feeling nauseated, his throat went from slick with saliva to dry in a moment, as a lump formed, just in time for Isabelle to jump in to his rescue. He knew it was likely to protect her goddaughter, but he was appreciative of it all the same. The look of surprise on his face turned his already pale expression into a ghostly shade, listening to the story she wound for his other student.

"I…" But he was speechless. He had to clear his throat to get his thoughts back in order. "That's right, yes. Apparently, I can't hold my alcohol quite like I used to be able." His eyes met Antoine's and the pair exchanged a glance.

Antoine listened, looking like he was almost about to swallow the bait, but there was something of distrust there in his eyes. He looked to Franchesca and his frown deepened intensely, a sprinkle of grief mingling in his face. "Sounds like a good night," he replied. "Are you planning on wearing that dress to school today, Ches? It's raining…"

He stepped in further to the Inn, mulling over his option. "I probably shouldn't stay," he admitted, but a growl from his belly interrupted him. He didn't want to be around Wolfgang anymore, but maybe… his heart wrenched when Franchesca floated through his thoughts. "But yes, thank you. Breakfast sounds great. I actually came to talk to Ches. Have you seen the news yet today? You've made the headlines… and not in a good way."

"What?" Wolfgang stepped back into the conversation, shaking off the awkwardness of the previous exchange.

"Yea," Antoine replied. "She's flipping off the camera while they're doing their story on Rafael."

Franchesca withdrew slightly at the question about her dress. Normally she'd be quite capable of thinking of some lie on the spot, but normally she wouldn't be nearly crippled from a hangover and shock. In a similar fashion, the change of topic would have been welcome but instead it only brought on even more confusion. Her eyes drifted away from him and back to Wolfgang and then lastly to Isabelle. Remembrance hit her and for a moment clarity cut through the throb in the back of her head.

"Oh fuck." She breathed, pushing lightly past Amelia and lifting her dress as she ran over to the closest television set over by the bar. The rest of them followed her but stopped as she rounded back around to grab the remote. The TV came back to life and showed them the blurry feed of some soccer game. With eyes wide with worry she clicked through all the local news channels until finally her image appeared on the screen, middle finger armed and shot in all its glory.

Isabelle clasped her hands together over her mouth in shock and Franchesca wanted to die. In bold black letters there it read: LORENZO DE MEDICI IN UPROAR OVER ABDUCTION OF STAR STUDENT. Overnight she had become the poster child for all the craziness going on at an internationally renown art school.

Franchesca felt all the color drain from her face and the same feeling from the morning descended on her quickly. She keeled over and began to hurl--just glad that a bar kept everyone else from seeing the full show.

Suddenly, no one cared about why Wolfgang was there, or why Franchesca was in a sun dress on a day of light rain. All anyone cared about was following Franchesca towards the bar as she turned the television. The line of bottles, filled with liquids of all colours, soured Wolfgang's stomach. He curled his lips back into a scowl, glancing at the television, though the sudden noise and flashing lights brought a dizzy spell over his head, as thick and suffocating as a wool blanket.

His stomach soured like lemon in milk, gripping the edge of the bar for balance as he watched the news release scroll across the screen. Behind the scroll, a news anchor spoke in quick Italian, flashing to clips of police officers scouring the campus, K-9s being sent into the nearby woodlands, and finally, of Franchesca flipping off the camera, though her hand was entirely blurred out.

Wolfgang's fingers curled into the wood. Franchesca hurried past him and, for the second time that day, vomited… again, out of sight. He was thankful for it, because he was struggling to keep his own nausea under control. Shutting his eyes, he adverted his head from the television. He could feel the sweat drench his skin, the throbbing of his eyes, the ringing crackle of the voice from the video vibrating in his ears.

His heart thumped in his chest. That scorched smile flashed in front of his mind and he winced away from it, like he could escape his own brain. His psyche was on the verge of cracking, but he held it together just because he couldn't allow himself to crumble apart before Franchesca, let alone everyone else in the room.

Amelia, god bless her heart was the first person to rush to Franchesca's side. The old faithful maid held the young woman's hair up as she let it all out, offering a soft pat here and there and quieted motherly Italian phrases on occasion. It was some comfort but Franchesca hardly felt better. This was decidedly not okay. How the hell was she supposed to go to school now? If the damned news were showing it than everybody knew it, all her professors, classmates, Sabine. For a moment she wondered if Thomas saw it.

When she came back up the young woman was honestly at the brink of tears, but Franchesca Rossi refused them and took a moment to steady herself on the bar. Isabelle's hands hadn't left from their place covering her mouth. The old socialite's eyes shifted between everybody in the room and suddenly breakfast together seemed like a poor, poor idea.

"Well, it's not the end of the world, yeah?" She announced finally, going over to her goddaughter to give the young woman a reassuring shake. Amelia began to clean up the puke. Franchesca could only sigh as she looked at everyone else, red-faced from the embarrassment alone. Without a word she stormed off into the dining room, grabbing the painkiller Amelia had fetched for her earlier and swallowing it quickly.

This was truly the longest week to have ever existed.

He might have tried to comfort her as she stormed off, but one glance to Antoine told him that was a bad idea. They were treading thin ice as it was, and him pursuing after her would put the shadow of doubt on the lie introduced to Antoine. Plus, he was in no state to comfort anyone when he could hardly contain his own emotions. That video engrained itself in his mind and he couldn't escape it.

"Isabelle," he said with a forced smile. "I should get going. Thank you again, so much." While Antoine wouldn't understand the depth of his gratitude, he hoped Isabelle would. Stepping closer, he pressed a kiss against her cheek, lingering only a second. "Tell Franchesca I made a pinky promise I intend to keep, please?" he whispered, out of range to Antoine, who kept shuffling awkwardly, not sure what to do with himself.

"Of course, of course. Stay safe, professor. We'll discuss pricing soon, perhaps when things calm down, and this time," Isabelle gave him a wink and a calming smile. Patting the back of his shoulder lightly as her way of setting him off. "This time I'll refrain from breaking out the hard stuff." After that the socialite paid very little mind to Wolfgang and Antoine alike, instead hurried back over to the dining room where her goddaughter remained standing by one of the chairs. Franchesca stood there, looking up and pinching the bridge of her nose in thought. Isabelle frowned.

"Maybe some good can come out of it, honey." Isabelle suggested optimistically, but Franchesca wasn't buying it. The young woman just sighed and shook her head, muttering about getting changed for class before turning to pass by her. "The professor says he intends to keep his pinky promise." Isabelle added, it was enough to give Franchesca pause but her niece ran back up the stairs all the same. The old socialite's eyes drifted to the table of food she had prepared for breakfast and all she could do was match Franchesca's sigh.

Wolfgang brushed past Antoine and saw himself out of the little Inn, ambling his way back towards his own home, engrossed in thoughts. A shower couldn't come soon enough.

Antoine stepped aside as the professor swept by, his eyes following the man before returning to the now-empty kitchen with a frown, debating if he should stay or go, wringing his hands together behind his back. "Is there... anything I can do?" he asked, sliding through the kitchen towards Isabelle.

"Leave." Isabelle answered plainly, turning to look at him for a moment over her shoulder before she began to wash some dishes still left in the sink. She hadn't meant to sound so sharp and so, the old socialite cleared her throat and addressed him once again. "She's a tough girl, Franchesca. I appreciate you taking the time to come over and check up on her and I'm sure she feels the same way, but all she really needs right now is a friend."

"Okay?" Isabelle Rossi's smile was both warm and sweet but it shifted right back into neutral the moment she turned her back on him once more. She nodded towards the dining room. "Feel free to grab some breakfast on your way out, Antoine. You'll see her later today, she intends to go to class."

All she needed was a friend. Antoine's heart dropped like a penny on cement from the top of a skyscraper. His face fell with it, turning the warm brown of his face a paler shade as he turned stiffly, wordlessly and exited the Inn without passing a second glance to breakfast. Was he not a friend? Once outside, his hands curled into fists.

He stalked towards campus, every thought fuming with such heat, it could have made the rain sizzle off his forehead.​

• Love
Anger boiled deep in Antoine's system, as hot as lava. It churned within, hungry for destruction, and he knew it was becoming too much for him to handle. He didn't get angry often—he was laidback, casual—but when he did, he didn't know what to do with it. The pressure of the raging sea of frustration and rage would force him to say thing he didn't mean, or express thoughts he'd suppressed for weeks. He left his bike behind at the Inn, needing to feel the firm stones below his stomping feet as he stormed to campus. It was early yet, and the first trickle of students were just making their way to various buildings.

In his thoughts, he could only think one thing: hurt Wolfgang Reiter. Not even Franchesca crossed his mind.

Skipping his first eight AM class, he raged into the campus canteen, pulling up into the queue for a coffee. In his rage, his fingers trembled as he pulled out his wallet. The shaking made it near impossible to pull the Euros and hand them out to the barista as he asked for a coffee, black, no sugar.

"Hey, Baker," a junior with shaggy blonde hair and cheeks pitted with acne said, swinging up behind Antoine and hanging a friendly arm over his shoulder. "What's going on, man? Long time, no see." The blonde American put on a devilish grin, flipping a strand of his bangs away from his greasy forehead.

"Hey Sean," Antoine replied, slowing his stroll as the upperclassman hooked him in his grasp.

"Man, you see that chick on the news this morning? Girl got a bangin' body. She a freshman? I need to meet her."

Sean was a greasy, lanky creature who was more bone than skin. His cheeks were hollowed out and dark circled filled in below his eye. It looked as though he hadn't shaved in a few days, as he was as shaggy as an unshorn sheep, though his beard and mustache only came in in patches. Despite his unsavory appearance, Sean Menge was fairly well known on campus for his wild house parties, which were always stocked with tons of alcohol.

Antoine wanted nothing more than to shake the annoying man off, hell, even toss his coffee in the annoying greaseball's face, but something caused him pause. Antoine glanced to his feet, each word Isabelle spoke to him repeating in his head adding fuel to a fire that burned inside of him. She needs a friend… The knife twisted in his chest, and he inhaled sharply, dragging them both to a stop.

"Hey, hey, I uhh… that girl? On the news? Her name is Franchesca, she's… she's sleeping with Wolfgang Reiter."

"Dude, that prof?"

Doubt extinguished the fire. Antoine glanced away, straining his fingers around the Styrofoam cup of coffee until it deformed. "Yea. Yea, the professor."

"Shit," he laughed out loud. "Just wait until Sabine hears about this. Bitch'll lose her fuckin' mind."​

Franchesca was embarrassed, no, she was mortified. The young woman was completely and absolutely mortified and she had never handled the sort of emotion well. Short awkward instances were usually met with inappropriate laughter, longer sitautions were usually prepared for and avoided beforehand. This though... this was inescapable. Her hand had been blurred but not her face. Everyone in Lorenzo would know it was her.

Perhaps she was still in shock but Franchesca felt nothing but a glaring numbness as she got ready for class. Isabelle came by when her goddaughter was on her second round of brushing teeth, trying to offer words of comfort only to end up offer a bottle of more painkillers when it became apparent that Franchesca wasn't listening. "Remember, you can only take one more for the next 24 hours." Her aunt reminded with a wag of her finger, the young woman glancing over to the socialite before giving her a quick nod.

"I also told Antoine to leave, so you're welcome for that." The old woman noted with a smiled and a sigh. "Poor boy."

The door closed shut and Franchesca rinsed her mouth out. That was just another thing to add to the list of bullshit she'd have to deal with today, Antoine Baker. The good guy who had come to think of her in the exact way she never wanted him to. She thought back to the beginning of last week to when he offered her a sip from his flask and some help maneuvering the welcome rally. Were they friendly gestures then or something else all together? She didn't know and frankly she didn't want to know.

Wolfgang Reiter had her heart entirely.

Franchesca ate a little bit of breakfast before silently slipping into a coat and leaving to brace the rain. She rode her bike up to Lorenzo De Medici, waiting until the gate had to be opened for another student's care before rushing in to escape the news reporters camped outside. It was a precaution, she didn't think herself important enough to be important, but it was better to be safe than sorry. As she rode into the commons students of all levels turned and threw a glance her way. A frat boy would pat his buddy on the shoulder and sneer, some unimportant prep would roll her eyes. Franchesca was a woman of details and she couldn't help but take note of each and every single reaction.

It was the honk of a hummer that snapped her out of her mind. Sabine. Franchesca, still sluggish thanks to the dulled ache in the back of her head, barely had time to turn around to see the dirty blonde stomping her direction. The young woman groaned and made the moves to face Sabine fully when suddenly, she was met with a bright red splash of soda.

"I fucking knew it, you little slut." Sabine screeched, throwing the empty plastic cup at a shocked and drenched Franchesca. "Two weeks in and the only other friend you've made aside from a drug dealer has already had enough of your passionate loner artist bullshit." Franchesca remained on her bike, eyes blinking as she tried to rationalize the situation at hand.

But suddenly and rather rapidly it occurred to Franchesca that she didn't want to fucking rationalize it. One moment the bike fell against its side and in the next so did Sabine. Her hand reeled back at the force, Franchesca cursing aloud as she waved it in pain. Sabine came fell back on her butt from the other woman's swing but remained conscious if not completely and utterly shocked. Complete silence seemed to fall over the campus.

But then the dirty blonde stood back up and the fight was on.

A hour later Franchesca found herself sitting outside the Dean's office. Her hair was mangled and ached down to the roots and there were claw marks from manicured finger nails down the side of her neck. Sabine was in a similar condition from where she sat across from her--the only distinct difference being the swollen cheek. Both girls said nothing as the security guards sitting beside them instructed. Franchesca pushed the pads of her thumbs together anxiously.

A door clicked open, the dean's voice came through. "Get in here you two."​

"So, let me get this straight. There is a rumour that Wolfgang Reiter is sleeping with Miss Rossi?" The Dean snorted as he sorted through the events, ending up with a dry chuckle. "Yea, go get him."

Standing up from behind his desk, the Dean dismissed his assistant and moved to the door. Upon opening it, he shifted his glance between the two women and told them, sternly, to take a seat. His office door was slammed closed upon their obliging.

"Take a seat, girls," he said, waving to the two hard chairs across his desk as he sunk into his luxurious leather recliner. "I'm disappointed to see two beautiful young women acting so crassly. So, one at a time, we're going to talk about what just happened. Hm?" He purred in the same way Wolfgang did when he was in thought, though his voice was much more coarse and deep.

"Sabine, let's start with you. And you, Franchesca, we'll talk about about your behaviour in front of the news team in a bit."

Everyone's eyes went to Sabine and Franchesca could not help but prepare to defend herself from whatever convoluted lie or explanation that dirty blonde was going to give. Sabine shifted, one eyes just a little bit smaller now that Franchesca had went and made the other woman's cheek swell. She cleared her throat, shooting a side eye before addressing the professor.

"I got angry with Franchesca and in a lapse of judgement, threw my drink at her out in the commons." Sabine began, sweet as always with a small, soft, pink frown. "I regret that decision, it was mean, but definitely not enough of a reason for her to attack me like she did. Between the behavior you mentioned sir and her inclination towards violence I truly think that very strict disciplinary action should--"

"Are you just going to gloss over the part how you openly accused me of sleeping with a professor? Calling me a slut?" Franchesca interrupted heatedly. Sabine was insane she was absolutely bat shit insane. Antoine and Thomas told her she was capable of getting a student expelled, and while it may have been an overblown rumor then, it seemed way too close to reality now. "Don't act like your sorry, Sabine because I'm sure everyone in the room knows that its bullcra-."

The dean listened with a thoughtful expression though, in truth, his brain glossed over and he thought about what his wife was going to make for dinner. Maybe those delicious Swedish meatballs she hadn't made in a while?

"Ladies, ladies," he muttered upon returning to the present. "I said one at a time. Now, is that true, Sabine? Did you start this rumour and did you call her a slut? Because as for this ridiculous rumour, I'm going to be putting it to rest today. Mr Reiter will be here shortly. Now?"

He looked to Sabine with his eyebrows, as fuzzy and wild as the fur on catepillars, crept up his forehead. "Also, don't recommend anything to me ever again. You're a student, not the principle. That's why I'm in this chair and you're in that one."

"Professor Reiter is coming?" Franchesca questioned with a quirked brow and a worried expression on her face. As if the day could get any worse. The dark haired woman cleared her throat and motioned to speak more but silenced herself once she realized it was best to just not dig the hole she was in any further.

Franchesca resorted back to pushing her thumbs against one another, watching Sabine's demeanor shift for a moment at the Dean's command but recovering quickly. "I apologize. It won't happen again." The blonde said. Franchesca snorted lightly in response and it was enough to earn her another side eye.

"I didn't start the rumor. Antoine Baker and a bunch of his gross sophomore friends spread it around the canteen this morning." Sabine explained crossing her arms while Franchesca leaned back into her chair and sighed. Sabine cleared her throat this time. "I called her a little slut."

"Hm, I see." The dean considered those words carefully. They were college students, so the level of punishments allowed to him were exceedingly limited. He could put them on academic probation, expel them... but there wasn't really a true equivalent to suspension or detention. Unfortunately, he knew Sabine's father would march his way down if any actions were taken against his precious daughter.

"I'm disappointed in you Sabine," he began after a moment. "I'm going to put a record in your file of this incident and any further will see you out on academic probation. Just try and avoid such ludacrious rumours, would you? You're not just hurting your friend here, but you could be hurting Mr Reiter, too."

It was clear that the dean took note of Antoine's name, but his eyes turned next to Franchesca. "As for you, do you have anything else you'd like to add?"

Franchesca looked back to the dean with brows furrowed and her tongue pressed against the inside of her cheek. Like Sabine, her arms came to a cross and she shook her head. There were plenty of things she would have liked to add, like how she was anything but Sabine's friend or how this wasn't the first time Sabine went out and targeted the professor's apprentice. But she knew inn her head that it was all futile.

Franchesca gave him a shake of her head as a response. The less she talked while Sabine was around, the better she decided.

"I'm sorry, sir." The blonde spoke up once it became apparent that Franchesca had zero intentions of interacting any more than she had to. "I'll do my best to better live up to both your expectations and Lorenzo De Medici's.

The amount of willpower Franchesca had exert in order to not roll her eyes was immense.

The dean looked poised to say something more, but before he had time to open his mouth, a knock sounded from his door. "Come in," he said, detaching his gaze from both Franchesca and Sabine to watch the door open and in step Wolfgang Reiter, looking as bored and detached with the situation as ever.

"You called for me, sir?" Wolfgang inquired. If he noticed either of the girls, it didn't show in his face, for he didn't pass so much as a glance in either of their direction.

"I did, yes," the dean agreed, waving him in and motioning for him to shut the door. Wolfgang did as such. "A rumour has been brought to light as of this morning suggesting you are sleeping with one of your students. Franchesca Rossi, to be more precise."

Perhaps that was when things were finally beginning to spiral out of control; perhaps that was when he should have started to get nervous. He didn't, however. His face didn't so much as flinch at the news, though his eyebrows rose slightly in subtle surprise. "Excuse me?"

"Now, now." The dean waved a hand. "I don't believe it, this isn't what this is about. I brought you in here so you could put the rumour to rest with Miss De Sica."

Wolfgang's head snapped towards Sabine, a hostility lingering in his expression, but his voice came out surprisingly even. He noted the swelling in her cheek, and could only imagine how their little meeting with the dean came to be. "I am not sleeping with Miss Rossi," he said, and it wasn't a lie. Technically, they'd never slept together. "I don't have time to be messing around with young adults acting like children. May I return to my class?"

Franchesca turned in her seat as the door swung open though she made the conscious decision to not do so too hastily. She looked at him and he didn't look back but she understood. They'd have a long, interesting talk about this later most likely. As he spoke she turned back forward, eyes flicking to the side to watch Sabine. The children comment hadn't gone unnoticed but at least some part f it was grounded. Either way, the blonde was sitting twisted like Franchesca had been but she made no attempt to turn back around. Her expression was anything but impressed.

"You should make sure Antoine hears that, Professor Reiter." Sabine noted politely with a tilt of her head. She nodded a moment afterwards, turning back around to quietly and properly face the dean. The moment the man behind the desk could see it, her expression shifted from distrusting to sympathetic and a small faint smile found her glossy lips. "Consider the rumor all cleared up. I'm sorry for my part in spreading it."

In all that time Franchesca still refused to speak. She sunk into herself, smelling faintly of soda pop, and with a descending feeling in her chest knew that soon enough the conversation would trail its way back to her. The dean had mentioned talking about the news report but they hadn't broached the topic yet. Suddenly, she spoke but only to prolong the time between now and then.

"Wolfgang is my mentor. I respect him deeply as an artist and a teacher, true." Franchesca began, her voice clear and steady as she stared down the dean with a straight face. "But I'm not sleeping with him."

"I'm glad this is all cleared up then. Reiter, get back to your class. Thank you for taking a moment out of your day."

Wolfgang didn't often look angry, but in that moment in the office, there was no denying the predator lurking beneath his skin. He shot one more dangerous look to Sabine as he nodded his head, as politely as he could muster, to the dean, and saw his way out. The door slammed behind him as he went, rocking the entire thing on its frame. The dean's gaze followed him out and he seemed to swallow a lump in his throat before continuing.

"Well, then," he muttered, a flush filling his cheeks momentarily as he floundered in a flustered state for just a few moments. Wolfgang was one of his prized professors at the school; an individual who drew in a large amount of attention and interest to the campus, something he couldn't afford to lose given current circumstances. Swiping those thoughts from his mind by dabbing his handkerchief to his sweaty forehead, he composed himself. "Sabine, I think we are done here. Have a nice rest or your day and I really hope I don't see you in here again."

His attention turned all to Franchesca next. "Now, you and I still have something to discuss. Can you guess what that is?"

Franchesca waited till Sabine stood up, the sound of all her miscellaneous jewelry jangling and clinking in the process, and closed the door behind her, before she even muttered a word. Franchesca nodded, sitting a little straighter as she cleared her throat. She leaned forward, elbows propping on her knees and hands clasping together.

There was relief in knowing the topic of her and Wolfgang had been settled, at least for now, but she was more nervous now than she'd ever cared to admit. In typical fashion she cracked a smile, resorting to dry wit in the face of such an uncomfortable situation.

"Well it's definitely not to commend me on being the most stellar of freshman to come to Lorenzo." Her smile wavered and she took on a more serious expression in her following words. "You want to talk to me about the picture of me on all the local news channels, yeah. I... yeah."

She let out a breath, deciding it'd be smarter to explain herself when he asked her to rather than on her own volition.

It seemed the dean had much the same idea. He sighed, templing his fingers together with his elbows on the top of his desk. "Franchesca." Already, before he even said anything further, he sounded gravely disappointed in the young woman sitting across from him. She cracked a dying smile, but he didn't reciprocate.

"I believe you're in this school because you've the talent to be here, and a person doesn't just catch Mr Reiter's attention by accident, but I wish you'd respect that a little more. You're a freshman and you're flipping off cameras? Getting into physical altercations with other students? This university is going through a tough time right now, as I'm sure you know, and you're just twisting the knife around."

He tapped his fingers together a few times, pausing for the effect of his words. "I can't give you detention, but if this type of behavior continues, you will be expelled. Why don't you stay out of trouble, yes? Join a club, or something."

Staying out of trouble sounded easy enough with the way the Dean threw it out as a casually as he had. It was a nice enough thought, but one that Franchesca couldn't help but think the impossible. Her entire life was a series of troubles, some lasted long some were fleeting either way it molded her into the person she was. She knew that but she refrained from saying it.

Instead the young woman just nodded.

"I can't promise I'll run on out of here and join the AVT club or anything like that but I can try to be less... confrontational." Franchesca offered with a tone that was borderline reluctant. She didn't want to lie to the Dean anymore than she had already and she wasn't about to make promises she knew she couldn't keep.

Her head lolled back in a moment of thought and she considered mentioning that regardless of her words she still had no control over Sabine. Eager to leave and just get on with the rest of the week she scooted a little bit in her seat. "Are we done here?"

It wasn't the answer he was hoping for, and it showed in his face. All he could do was shake his head at her dismissively and wave her towards the door. "We're done here," he agreed, "get back to class."

The dean placed in his hands flat on the table and stood. "Word of advice, though. Don't mess with people like Sabine. I deal enough with her dad to know what her family is capable of. Keep poking the bear, and you'll be the one to lose."

Franchesca stood up, her only form of acknowledging his warning was a brief nod of the head. She grabbed her bag off of the floor and slung it over her shoulder before stepping out from the Dean's office. That was close, too close really, in regards to both a serious disciplinary action and her relationship with Wolfgang. The first one was completely her fault and she accepted that, but the second? She knew from the morning that things were about to be even weirder with Antoine but she never expected him to actually go and start...

Franchesca may have just promised to try and stop playing with fire but she intended to get to the bottom of this one way or the other. But first--Poppins. The young woman wasted no time riding over to her classes because the lord knows the last thing that she needed was a repeat from last week.

Franchesca slugged through the rest of her classes with a similar mentality--just get on with it because the morning had already been enough drama. She thought back to Wolfgang plenty of times throughout the day. Franchesca thought about the night before, how he was dealing with his own hangover, what he he heard about the fight... hell what he thought about the fight. She wanted to talk to him, to be with him, to hear what he had to say... but she knew that they'd start having to be more careful. The confrontation in the office was just a warning shot. People were talking and where there's smoke there was fire.

At that Franchesca's mind flickered back to the kisses they had shared. Yep, definitely fire.

Come the end of her classes Franchesca made the difficult decision to not see him. Not at his office and not at his home. Distance. The word repeated in her head but only until Friday. Still smelling faintly of sugar and still way too sticky for her comfort Franchesca left the main building only to turn towards the bike rack and see a familiar face about to leave himself.

Her hands curled into fists but she said his name plainly and loudly.

"Anotine."​

• Love
He regretted it, he did. He spent all morning mulling over the look on Sabine's face when his friend first broke the news of the story. He could hardly concentrate in classes, finding his thoughts winding up on Franchesca repeatedly. All day, the wooziness in his stomach grew worse. He felt feverish, even though he knew he wasn't sick, and if he could have gone and taken it all back, he would have, but that still didn't change his feelings about the situation. He knew Wolfgang hadn't been over to paint some stupid painting, in the same way Franchesca hadn't decided to wear a crumpled sun dress for the day…

He sighed and swiped his hand through his tight coils of hair. Classes finally came to an end and he grabbed his belongings, rushing through the crowd to head home for the day. He kept his head low, trying to sneak through the crowd and go unnoticed. Most ignored him, even his friends, but one didn't. His name rented the air and his heart shuddered with a terrible, icy chill.

His feet fumbled, causing him to nearly trip as he glanced back over his shoulder. "Franchesca," he replied, but not in his usual, lackadaisical friendly way. He turned his shoulder to her and continued onward, not sure he was ready for the conversation he knew was coming his way. He couldn't even be bothered to pick up his bike from the Inn's front lawn. That'd have to wait until nighttime, when he was confident he wouldn't run into anyone… not Franchesca, and not her fucking bitch aunt, either.

Antoine turned away and Franchesca's face grew heavier, angrier. Cursing to herself under her breath, the young woman did not follow after him, at least not immediately. Instead she continued right on over to the bikes, unhooking hers and quickly hopping on so she could ride after him. Once she was back in earshot she hopped off, heat rising in her cheeks that was starkly different than the one kind that Wolfgang caused.

"You want to tell me what you told everyone else?" She called out, walking alongside her bike as the distance between them closed. A few onlookers turned to them and Franchesca reminded herself to not get carried away. She couldn't. "I mean normally I know when I'm sleeping with someone but then morning came and suddenly I was fucking a professor."

Antoine sneered, pivoting on a heel and sending rain spiraling off the shoulders of his coat as he did. He faced Franchesca, fists gripped at his side until his knuckled turned white. The redness flushed his cheeks, instead. "Yea, maybe it wasn't fair," he agreed with a snarl. "But what am I supposed to think when Reiter comes waltzing out of your family house? And you know what? Screw you Franchesca. Screw… you."

His hands were starting to shake at his sides as the fury from earlier returned and burned through him with a heat he didn't know he could possess. "Screw you because I really liked you. I like you, and when I asked you out, you brushed me off, telling me later, later, later. And I fucking believed you!" His voice was on a steady rise, his chest heaving with each haggard breath he pulled in. "You just dragged me along like… like some dog you tie to the bumper of your car and drive off, huh? Fuck that. You could have at least told me you weren't interested, instead of lying to my fucking face, bitch."

He grunted and rolled his eyes back as he bit down on his tongue. He didn't mean to call her that, but the heat grew too much to bear and it slipped his mouth before he could cage it back in his brain. "You don't even have the decency to treat me like a person, and your aunt made it clear I am not your friend, so… go to hell, Franchesca."

Franchesca expected coldness and she found herself faced with heat. Hands shaking, his voice a roar against the rain that fell. She didn't expect it from him and it caught her off guard. Franchesca stopped in her tracks when he turned and she stood there without a flinch as each and every word he said spat at her took root in her chest. It was heavy, the burden that she had put on him, the burden that was now being returned right back.

And he was right. It was cruel of her to not just tell him the hard truth, to willingly let him think he had a chance when in reality he had none. It was a mistake and one that Franchesca simply had to learn from. There was no sugar coating it, there was no way to make it not as drastic. The word bitch rung through the air and suddenly she couldn't care less about which of them was right or wrong. Franchesca could hear the light hums of murmuring, small groups gathering around to watch the both of them from afar.

They must've thought that she was such a problematic girl, that she thrived off of all the attention she got as a result of it. Perhaps it was partly true, if your life was a consistent series of troubles you could very well be part of the problem after all, but it didn't make it okay. Nothing about the situation was okay.

Franchesca wanted to slap him. She wanted to tell him it wasn't her fault that she wasn't attracted to him. She wanted to apologize. But she ended up doing none of those things. She just paused and took a breath, saying nothing and everything as she silently got back on her bike and slowly rode past him.

They didn't deserve to see her cry.

The anger, for all its intensity, died quickly. His hands fell slack at his sides and his head drooped when Franchesca said nothing at all. She only got on her bike and peddled past him, slowly, but never glancing at him. His hand wiped across his face. The worst of it was the brunt of pain his heart took. The throbbing ached and he sighed, turning away and resuming back from where he'd come.

What he needed to do was go back to his dirty little apartment, with his dirty little room-mate, and find as much alcohol as he could swallow in one sitting. Damn Franchesca, and damn Wolfgang… damn Thomas, and fuck that drug dealer.

If the rain was good for one thing, it was that it made it glaringly hard for any normal bystander to look at Franchesca and realize that she was crying. The young woman rode back to town as fast as her two legs could pedal, a steady stream of tears mixing in with the rain that fell on her cheek. Her time in Vernazza, the past two weeks, the intensity of the emotions in which she felt... it was unreal. She wasn't repressed by any means but sadness wasn't something that came to the surface easily and yet... she had cried more times since the semester had started than she had in months.

Regardless, the woodlands she rode passed turned to buildings and the Tregua approached in the distance. Franchesca did not bother leaning her bicycle against the staircase this time, just dropping it carelessly the moment both feet planted themselves firmly on the ground. She wanted to see Wolfgang but she couldn't and that hardly did anything to lighten her mood.

Drained, drenched and just done, Franchesca entered the old inn, the bar roaring with life in contrast to the previous night when it had been closed off for dinner. She asked for space once Amelia and Isabelle approached and sat alone in her tub for awhile as the shower head above beat against her back.

Stepping out she dried herself and wrapped both her body and her hair in a towel. Franchesca dragged herself out of the bathroom and across her bedroom, landing on her bed and staring at the ceiling until an idea came to her. The professor had given his number to her, one of the very first lines they had blurred, and she dragged the phone on her desk onto the bed with her.

She dialed and couldn't help but hold her breath while it dialed. The receiver clicked and she exhaled. "Wolfie?"

• Love
In comparison to the many long days he'd had in his life up until that point, that day might have proven one of the worst. Classes dragged on, the meeting that morning with the Dean threw him off balance, and his head pounded like someone was taking a sledgehammer to it all day. What made it worse was the entire trek home was spend in splitting cold rain, with his hands in his pockets—one on the cocaine, the other on the cross. It did not escape his attention the juxtaposition of the two object in his two hands.

Unprepared to cook, Wolfgang stopped at a local take out and purchased dinner, before lugging it home. Once inside, he dripped water like a leaky faucet, throwing his dinner on the kitchen counter as he stripped away layer after layer of damp clothing. Before indulging in his meal, he went to change into slacks and a clean, dry t-shirt before he found himself with his little cardboard box of food on the sofa. Woaf was quick to join him; his pink triangle nose sniffing at the edge of the take-away box flap.

A mere second from stabbing his fork into lukewarm, deep fried fish, and his phone rang. He sighed, taking the box with him as he got up, threw the blanket off his legs, and went to answer it. He dragged the thing into the kitchen so he could sit at the breakfast bar, pinching the phone between his ear and shoulder and using his hands to eat.

"Hello?" he anwered, pausing with a bite of fish hovering just in front of his mouth when Franchesca cooed his name in a whisper. "Franchesca," he replied, setting his fork down. "Are you alright?"

The question was a lot more complicated to answer than a simple yes or a no. She wasn't okay, not really but just the slight hint of that Austrian accent over the phone was enough to make her feel better. She pressed the receiver close to her ear, her free hand to rest lightly on her chin.

"I'm... fine. Sort of. Just dealing with a lot of..." Franchesca began, drifting off for a moment before continuing with a small shake of her head. "Unpleasantness."

Wolfgang chuckled at her answer, he couldn't really help it. "Yes, I suppose you are," he mentioned, leaning back in his stool and lolling his head back. His eyes cast up to the ceiling, but blinked closed a moment later. The headache was finally beginning to wane.

"I see you punched Sabine. She looked a bit red in the cheek." He picked up his fork again, though not to eat. Instead, he just sort of moved the coleslaw around the bottom foil. "So, is there something you'd like to talk about?" He sensed there was.

"You don't sound surprised that I did. Is that a bad thing? Because that kinda sounds like a bad thing." Franchesca smiled. The sound of his laugh, as distorted as it may have been over the call, calmed her. She shifted for a moment in her bed, the wood creaking as she laid down on her side with the phone now resting on her ear.

"Maybe. But right now I'm content to just listen to you speak." Franchesca whispered, smiling again as her eyes focused on the markings of her wooden desk.

"Am I surprised? Certainly not. Am I proud? In private, perhaps just a little bit."

His question was answered unexpectedly and he hummed for a second. "Well, alright. If you want to hear me talk, what do you want me to talk about? Anything in particular?"

"Oh I don't know... anything? Literally anything. You can read me the ingredients off of the back of diced tomatoes and I'd be alright with it." Franchesca sighed, twirling the wire of the phone around the length of her index finger.

"Ah-hah, well, I don't have diced tomatoes around, but let me see here..." A multitude of stories from his life came to the forefront of his mind, but most of them felt too sobering to share with her given the situation. He hadn't realized how precious few memories he possessed that were truly, unapologetically lighthearted.

It took a few moments, but he purred softly with an 'ah-hah.' "Do you know the story of my first gallery opening? I was, oh, younger than you... nineteen, perhaps, and somehow, the Tate Modern in London got a hold of my works and asked if I'd be willing to participate and be apart of their young, rising artist exhibit they did every few years."

"Floored, of course, I agreed. I didn't speak English very well at the time. Somehow, it got lost in translation that I was supposed to give a speech at the opening, in English naturally, and I didn't know about it until I arrived, it was the night of, and everyone was telling me how eager they were to hear my speech."

He paused to chuckle, realizing he hadn't thought about that opening in some time. "Moral of the story, I was brought up in front of a hundred of some of the richest donators to the gallery and, without a speech, I just quoted the Rocky speech. It must have been a movie no rich, cultured person watched, because they all applauded me and congratulated me over how moving my speech had been. Mm, I had to change the bit about 'you're my son, and my blood,' though I can't recall now what I said in its place. I may very well have just mumbled in incoherent, poor English."

Franchesca rolled back around onto her back, bringing the phone with her and letting it rest on her stomach as she listened to Wolfgang's story. Her smile grew and she laughed again, taking the man in the photos scattered about his home and imagining him falling head first into the world of art. He was lucky, but she couldn't help but feel luckier.

"The scary thing is how easy it is to believe you, you know, when you tell a story." Franchesca mused, a little more soft laughter coming from the thought. Though he wasn't physically there she remained expressive while she spoke, her dumb grin heard through her tone. "Like back in the office today? You did so well calling the both of us children I was almost offended."

"Easy?" he mused with a hint of smile himself. "Perhaps I am just telling you stories, all made up. Perhaps I'm not even Wolfgang Reiter himself, what would you say to that?"

He chuckled again when she brought up the office, though this time a bit more earnestly. "To be honest, I was only really talking to Sabine. The fact that you also happened to be there just made it convenient. Who started that rumour, anyhow? Baker?"

"That you had me aptly fooled? I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong." Franchesca began, warmth in her voice as her finger began to uncoil the wire of the receiver. She listened quietly but the mentioning of Antoine was enough for the smile to waver and there was a discernible pause before she spoke again. Back in the Tregua she sat up, pressing her back against the headboard as she let out a sigh.

"Yeah Antoine made the rumor. He also confessed to me." Franchesca explained in a tone humorously made to be matter of fact even though the thought still hit her like a punch in the gut. She shifted uncomfortably and cleared her throat. "Also called me me out on leading him on... said I was a bitch."

"I mean... he wasn't wrong but still, shit."

"Hmm," he purred, hearing the discernible shift in her voice. "I thought about it a bit this afternoon, about the rumour and about the whole situation... we put ourselves in."

He didn't elaborate any further on his thoughts as Franchesca went on to explain her interaction with the young man. He couldn't repress the sigh; it really was a mess. "I'm sorry."

"It's... fine. You know me, messy." Franchesca continued with another huff, she smiled again but it was the bittersweet kind. "So what was your conclusion?" Franchesca asked, rounding the conversation right back to what he said earlier. She rephrased the question for clarity's sake.

"When you were thinking about the rumor and... us. I mean. What did you think about exactly?"

Woaf hopped up on the counter, flipping his tail as he sniffed the box once more and dipped his head over the rim until Wolfgang swat him away.

"I decided it was worth it. You are worth it."​

• Love
Franchesca's eyes widened and the beat of her heart picked up. The bitterness in her smile melted away and all that was left was the sweet. It was almost unfair of him to just spring something like that on her. She brought the phone closer to her mouth, lingering as she thought about her response.

"I..." She breathed, pausing, before her next words were spoken in the same whisper they were originally told with back at the top the light house. Maybe they were out of nowhere, but if there was any string of words that could be made to describe how she felt at hearing him say that it was them. "Ti voglio sempre al mio fianco."

"Hmm," he smiled at the phrase he recognised almost immediately. "Well, you need to decide for yourself if it's worth it. You could be expelled, you know."

He didn't want her to jump on a decision just because he'd made up his mind. "That's a big decision to think about."

"You know I want to say yes--to without a doubt--just throw myself into this, into us." Franchesca began a moment later, having laughed at how much of a sap he was making out of her. She shook her head to herself. "But you're right, you're right... and I'm probably just a little too strung up to be making decisions right this very second."

"But I know how I feel and I know how I'm going to feel when I'm in your class tomorrow afternoon and I see you walk in through those doors."

"Mm, I just don't want to see you make decisions you'll learn to regret. You are worth it to me, and it's a sacrifice I'd make, but it's a sacrifice I'd make because I respect you, and think very highly of you. More than anything else, I want what is best for you, and what will make you happy." If that meant letting her go so she didn't run the risk of getting expelled, than so be it. That's what it meant to love someone, he supposed. It wasn't a selfish, demanding emotion. It couldn't be.

"Just think on it for a while, perhaps when you're having a tamer day." He has to swat Woaf away again, who was making a second attempt on his food.

Franchesca slowly inched back down into the covers of her bed, closing her eyes and letting his voice drown things out for a little bit longer. She remembered suddenly that this wasn't their first discussion about mistakes. Franchesca cracked a lopsided grin. "What was that you told me last week--learn from yours and make new and more interesting mistakes myself?"

"I'll think about it." Franchesca then assured him. "Regardless we should be more careful. We can't let an incident like Antoine happen again."

"Mm, yes, I believe I said something along those lines, though didn't I also say something about using my own wisdom against me?" He was teasing, his voice reflecting a tender kindness.

There was an exciting danger to their relationship, and it brought him a great deal of pleasure. He almost enjoyed the secrecy of it, knowing that no one else around them knew. It wasn't usual for a fledgling relationship, but it burned more intensely because of their secret.

"Speaking of tomorrow," he probed for a subject change, "do you have your personal essay completed on what composition means to you?"

Franchesca let a breath out through her nose lightly as he rounded the old Wolfgang wisdom right back at her. She prepared a reply, another wisecrack, but went unsaid as the topic continued. From where Franchesca laid her eyes flew back open. She had completely forgotten about his assignment. The young woman cleared her throat, sitting up straight and doing her best to sound convincing. "Uh... yeah, I do. It's right over there on my desk in fact." She told him, running a hand through her wet hair while her mind tried to come to terms with not being able to drift off to his voice.

"Is it now?" he replied, noting the subtle pause between his question and her response. "Why don't you read me the first line, hm?" He didn't mean to be prodding, and after a moment, dissolved into a small bout of jovial laughter than rose through him like carbonation in a soda bottle.

"You forgot, didn't you?" he teased, though he had no intentions of being any more lenient on her than any of his other students. He might have enjoyed her company more than most, but he was still her professor, and that role he intended to keep. "You're in luck that it's only a page long."

"I did not!" Franchesca exclaimed in response, though she chose to cast the act away moments after. She mirrored his laugh with her own before it slowly died down with the shake of her head. "Alright, Alright. I forgot... you caught me." The young woman came to admit, crossing one arm across her chest while the other remained holding the phone up to her ear. She couldn't help but smile as she bit down on her bottom lip.

"I should probably get to writing that one page." Franchesca noted soon afterwards though, the upturned corners of her lips fading as a long dwindling sigh escaped her

You probably should," he agreed. It was getting late, anyhow, and after the trying day he had, he wanted dinner, a shower, and some rest. "It can't take you that long, anyways. It's all personal theory. I can explain to you all day long the classic definition and application of composition, but it's like poetry. It means a little something different to everyone."

Pushing away from the breakfast bar, Wolfgang got to his feet, though he couldn't wander far when he was adhered to a cord.

Franchesca nodded quietly, always eager to listen to him, but a small sort of heaviness settled in her chest at the thought of hanging up. She didn't want the conversation to end, and perhaps that was a little childish, but it was also the truth. Franchesca couldn't help but sigh again, eyes drifting up to the ceiling while she spoke. "So I guess this is good night then, Wolfie..."

She paused, smiling faintly before speaking up again. "Thanks for the sanity check."

The hesitation in her tone was plainly evident, even with the crackle of the phone connection. To it, he smiled, tenderly soft, even though she'd never be able to see it. He knew well of the day she had, and how she was likely to be feeling. "This is good night," he agreed, "but I will see you tomorrow, alright?"

He cleared his throat, but didn't hang up. Instead, he found himself continuing. "I know you had a rough day today, and I know university life must seem incredibly daunting, but you will be fine. You'll make it out the other side and be all the better for it. The best characters in life are seared with scars, for those who aren't just-- haven't lived at all. Good night, Ches."

Her smiled broadened the more he spoke and suddenly Franchesca was concerned about falling asleep while as excited as she was at seeing him. The professor had a way of making her feel the damnedest things, just like he had a way at making her feel better with a couple words stringed together. Grateful for some peace of mind, she nodded at his words of comfort though he would never see it. "Good night." She repeated before hanging up the phone and falling back onto her back. The young woman put a pillow over her head and shouted into the softness, getting rid of whatever lingering feelings of the day still remained. Afterwards she tossed it aside and swung her feet over and onto the ground. The bed creaked as she stood up and Franchesca steeled herself to get through both the paper and the rest of the week.

She stood up, the professor's words just barely distorted by the phone repeating over and over in her head.​

• Love
The morning was as assured as the tides, and just as unstoppable. Wolfgang needed a few more hours of blackness. Not to sleep, but to prepared, to pour his thoughts, reorganize, prioritize, and pack everything up again. But already he could see the chaos that was his living room, the dark ragged outline of stacked portfolios on the carpet, next to piles of papers that still needed to be graded. He hadn't properly gone to bed until approximately three in the morning, and woke up less than two hours later when his alarm went off properly at five. He ambled through the house, tripping over the cord to the standing lamp he'd dragged to the middle of his living room in order to grade.

He got the water boiling for coffee, first and foremost, before changing in to something a bit more presentable and packing up his belongings for classes. By five forty-five, traveler mug of coffee in hand and a scratch behind Woaf's ears, he was out the door, though he moved slower than usual towards campus.

The morning, for the first time in a long time, wans't grey, but a soothing shade of lavender and brilliant amber. The colour merged into a neon pink and peach that cast the whole village in a golden veil. It was nearly enough to take the edge off his exhaustion, as he enjoyed the pleasant sunrise over the water. After all, he could only see so many. The campus was still quiet when he arrived. Dew laden grass and cobwebs glistened, undisturbed by foot traffic, as Wolfgang crossed through it. The moisture glossing over his shoes as he hurried into his building and slipped into his office, shutting the door behind himself.

He didn't turn on the lights, as he didn't want anyone to come and bother him. Instead, he sat in perfect darkness with both of his hands curved around his mug, relishing the earthy taste of a French roast until a few minutes before his first class that morning.

The upperclassman, as he arrived, were mostly huddled around one of the desks at the center, murmuring quietly amongst themselves and seeming to pay Wolfgang no mind as he entered. Instead of garnering their attention like a normal person might of, Wolfgang, lacking any patience, picked up a pen from his desk and lightly tossed it at the back of one of the ringleader's heads.

"Seats, now," he instructed.

The pen smacked against Sean's head and bounced to the floor as the young man squealed in surprise. Students laughed and scattered, their chairs screeching against the floor as they launched themselves into them.

Ah, the day could not go by any slower.​

• Love