Lesser, Greater, Middling

B

Bears

Original poster
coPC8mF.png
p6qVJfb.png

"She drove him mad, entirely mad, and there was nothing he could do about it but feel himself fall for it, time and time again."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Nav and rissa
Franchesca's smile could only become more defined by his compliments. Whether he knew it or not Franchesca was certain that Wolfgang Reiter could be dressed in rags and sporting the scratchiest of beards and she would still be found right at his side, perhaps with a razor in hand. It was insane to think that calling herself infatuated with him sounded incorrect... insane to think that such a strong word like that felt too immature for the bond they shared.

The concept of love was a daunting one for the young woman, her past had taught her that love only gave way to pain, but with him and only him did the concept suddenly seem worth the hurt. She wanted him in every way possible, entirely and without reservation, and in the dim lighting, behind tailored masks, Franchesca nearly let that desire slip off her tongue for the second time that day. She stopped herself and suddenly the idea of making Wolfgang work for it evolved into something new entirely.

Something that excited her incredibly.

The sound of his baritone dropping to a hushed whisper destroyed Franchesca in the best way possible, her heart sinking and fluttering at every single nuance and touch. He pulled her closer and there, Franchesca could not help but look into Wolfgang's steady gaze and reflect the want she saw, she could not help but reflect the want she felt in the electricity of their touch.

"I've thought about you all day. All the things we'd say to each other tonight, all the things we'd do later once we had some privacy..." She admitted with a tone that was as honeyed as it was coy. His arm found the crook underneath hers and she gave him a playful look. Franchesca only really turned away at the mentioning of introductions, her gaze casting off to look back at the crowd of artists and elite that settled at the center of the courtyard, but returning to him all the same. "Do you think they have any vodka?"

Her small frame shaking with light mirth against his, Franchesca made her way down the steps with one hand clutching onto the side of her gown and the other tangled up with her lover. Raya was good company but nothing could compare to entering the thick of it all with Wolfgang. With Wolfgang a lot of things suddenly became easier... meeting important individuals who could make or break her career included.

Ironically though, Wolfgang's presence also made it so she really couldn't care less about the lot of them. They were white noise, a backdrop to them, and she was fine with that. Franchesca listened to him with a singular quirked brow as he explained all that he had seen during the gala, his warmth mixing with hers while her eyes remained forward and watching for the things that he detailed.

There was a great deal of people, far more than what Franchesca was used to, but at the mentioning of finger food the only thing she cared about was eating little blocks of gourmet cheese off of toothpicks with Wolfie. There by the tables she was ecstatic to see they had provided just what she craved and Franchesca separated from him briefly as she eagerly picked out a few to try.

"Mmm. Do you dance my heart?" She turned to him with amusement, pausing to take a cube of mozzarella off of the stick with her teeth so she wouldn't ruin her delicate makeup. Franchesca chewed and swallowed before sauntering back to him, and nudging him lightly with her hip. The dark haired woman winked. "I wouldn't mind getting a little sweaty with you before we start making the rounds and networking."​

• Love
Reactions: Nav
The growing of her smile brought him immense pleasure, and her choice of words only added to it. He chuckled, because he couldn't help it, but he was fighting a growing wildfire in his mind. He relished the warmth of her body against his own as they strolled down the steps, arm in arm, to mingle in the crowd below. They passed by other people and couples, though in the dim light, they were hard to make out.

Of all the people there, he knew most of them, but in the darkness and with the masks, he wouldn't have been able to point anyone out. The lanterns barely lit the stones and the riot of stars overhead added some brilliance, but not enough to turn anyone's features more distinct. He'd found Franchesca by instinct alone, like he'd been drawn to her by magnetism or some other force of the universe. "Oh, I'm certain they have vodka. As certain as I am about knowing what I will do to you once we get back to our room."

Love, perhaps. He'd fallen in love with her. Truly, madly, deeply... but he hadn't shared it with her. Not yet.

Clearing his throat when Franchecsa moved to go fetch a cube of cheese for herself. As she did, Wolfgang slipped his hands into his pockets and let his eyes glide after her. As far as he was concerned, he was the luckiest man in the gallery. Screw Colleen's husband and his art opening, nothing compared to being at Franchesca's side. Not fame nor fortune.

As she returned, he slid his arm free again and hooked it through hers, though he swayed a bit at her nudge. "I dance," he replied to her question with a half smirk. "Though it's been a while since I last have." He'd never been keen on dancing, though he had learned the steps of many basic dances. His rhythm was tolerable to the point he didn't draw glances for horrible dancing, but also no looks for any skill. Had anyone else asked, he would have declined and continue his migration to the bar, but Franchesca was a woman he couldn't deny. It sounded a pleasure to 'get a little sweaty' with her in such a public venue.

"Though perhaps later I'll sneak you off into the hedge maze."​

• Love
Reactions: Bears
"We could get sweaty in there too, if you like." Franchesca mused eyes playfully wandering away from him as they walked. The only thing that was more suggestive than the hushed tone she spoke with was the quick wink she gave him once her gaze returned to catch his reaction. The dark haired woman chuckled, swaying happily with her arm in his long before they reached the dance floor.

Though she was nothing but excited at the thought of seeing Wolfie bust a move, Franchesca made a quick detour to one of the bars. Wolfgang had offered her a drink beforehand and she decided that getting a little liquid courage and hydration going could only help. They had vodka, much to her pleasure, and Franchesca turned back to Wolfgang as the bartender prepared her a shot.

"I already did a toast with Raya before we left the hotel but I wouldn't be opposed to another one with you, if you're willing."

They crosses the pavilion towards one of the bars, and Wolfgang ordered his whiskey on the rocks after Franchesca had retrieved her drink, both of which were free at the event. He took up his glass and turned to her with a smile. "A toast?" He asked, smirking a bit as he paused to think about what would best be toasted before they downed their drinks and moved to the dance floor.

The dance space was already filling with couples following the polite motions of formal dances to the sounds of a live band. The couples moved like they'd all been dancing together for centuries.

"A toast, then," Wolfgang said as he lifted his glass out towards her. "To happiness." He was not a speech maker, but it felt in good nature to keep it short. No long proclamation or heavy winded speech. Just happiness, because that's what he felt.

"To happiness." Franchesca repeated after him, a brilliant smile finding her reddened lips as her glass came to clink against his. At that the young woman threw her head back and let the burn run its course across her tongue before swallowing it down.

She let out a sound that was nearly a growl when she came back up, giggling and wasting no time thereafter to coax him closer and closer to the other couples set at the center of the yard. Franchesca walked with her back towards them, moving deeper and deeper into the sea of masks as one hand held onto his and the other made sure she wasn't about to cause a collision.

All the while her eyes remained on him and there when they found themselves in the center of it all.

She gave him no time to enjoy his whiskey, he supposed, And in one quick tilt of his head, Wolfgang had swallowed it all back and returned the empty glass to the side table near the bar. His face didn't reflect the heat of the burning down his throat, instead focusing on following after her as she coaxed him along.

Using her hand to guide himself towards the dance floor, he stepped after her. His arm scooped around her waist from behind once they were among the other couples. His other hand laced into hers, coaxing her body closer to his.

"A dance?"

He felt steady as ever pressed up against her. No amount of liquid courage would have given her the strength to keep Wolfgang from stealing her breath in that moment. Franchesca's eyes twinkled with something she still wasn't prepared to say and her hand squeezed his lightly at the proposal in his voice.

"Please?" Franchesca responded, her tone something vulnerable as her free hand moved to rest against his shoulder blade. She could not help but wonder if the beat of her heart was as apparent to him as it was to her.

"You're beautiful," he whispered in a hushed voice as she arched into him. Using his body, he guided her into a gentle two step, but never moving fast enough to push her away so her body wasn't touching his.

He wasn't her professor. He wasn't her mentor; he was her lover, and god, did he love her. Their dance was not the most impressive or flourished, but no one looked at them oddly. Even if they had, Wolfgang never would have noticed as he was too occupied in the beauty of her brown eyes.

They began to move and to Franchesca it did not matter if the couple beside them swayed with more grace, or if the woman to her left managed to twirl effortlessly in her taller heels. Her attention, her focus, it was entirely on him and the moment. Franchesca moved with Wolfgang and she did so knowing that each turn made her fall for him just a little bit more.

Indeed. Franchesca never felt as beautiful as she had when he whispered to her. It wasn't proper form but Franchesca did not care, she rested her head against him, a breath of relief escaping her while her eyes closed and her body took over.

"I... don't know how I got by before you came along, Wolfgang Reiter." Franchesca whispered, smiling as he lead her across the floor.

"Oh hush," he laughed, his chest rumbling below the weight of her head as he tilted his head back. "You got along just fine without me, and you would have continued to do so, had I never shown up. Of that, I am most certain."

His hand gave hers an affectionate squeeze. He managed to bow his head just enough to press a kiss against the crown of her head. "I think you constantly fail to give yourself enough credit, and to celebrate your own strength, and talent."

Vaguely aware that he would be unable to love Franchesca forever, he would do what he could to encourage her own will and sense of self. Eventually, she'd move on to bigger and greater things. He couldn't be mad at that, he wouldn't, but he hoped he'd at least help her get there in some way.

"Maybe so, but I'm glad that you are here with me all the same." Franchesca nodded, her smile growing warmer and brighter at the second time she felt his lips brush against her. Though she hardly showed it, Franchesca knew what he was doing and understood the the intention behind it. She was her own person before they met, unforgivably so, and it was important to make sure she remained that way.

The thought was nearly bittersweet to the romantic being inside of her but she refused to let it spoil the evening.

The music began to pick up but Franchesca wasn't prepared to leave just yet. She lifted her head off of his chest and looked to him, her grin having gone playful. The beat that began to play was familiar to her, it called for a dance that her aunt loved deeply, and Franchesca hoped Wolfgang knew how to tango.

He had been the one to lead her into the initial sway but Franchesca took the reigns as the tempo turned dramatic. A few of the more reserved couples abstained but the dark haired woman was having the time of her life, laughing without reservation, as she lead him alongside her with just the tiniest hint of difficulty.

He knew that look. The romantic side of her melted away into something much more dangerous, and Wolfgang craned his neck to look down at her suspiciously as the new tempo picked up. "Oh no. No, no, no," he mumbled, but he was given no choice in the matter, for she didn't allow him to become untangled from her grip.

He knew the steps well enough, but he didn't have the fluidity of a good tango dancer. Rather, he moved stiffly, like his spine was made of steel.

"You're a cruel woman, Mrs Reiter," he mused, doing well enough that he didn't once step on her toes, but nearly stumbling his way through the motions. "I don't generally incline myself to the tango." He usually took himself too seriously for such a boisterous and lighthearted dance.

They went on like that for some time, swaying happily through the stiffness. Franchesca did not care, the music was lively and called for her to move the same way. Her heels clicked and her hips swiveled with a grace that surprised even her. More couples slowly drifted away, hugging the sidelines while the most proficient dancers--and Wolfgang and Franchesca--remained.

"I'm your cruel woman, darling!" She called out over the animation of their movements, over the liveliness of the song. The big finish came and Franchesca parted from him, but only so she could spin right back into his embrace. The crowd could've been cheering, Franchesca truly did not know. The beat in her chest filled her ears as she tried to catch her breath. That lopsided smile returned and she pressed a brisk, but intense, kiss against him.

"And I don't generally incline myself to luxury trips to Germany but we all have our problems." She teased, her voice having long gone breathy as the next song began to play. Franchesca was less enthusiastic about this coming number, but only because the kiss reminded her of a much more pleasant way they could expend their energy.

"Eek," Wolfgang made a little squeak of a noise, in surprise, when he clipped his own toe on the back of his heel, but recovered nicely and continued on. Once he warmed up to the idea that he wasn't getting off the hook so easily, he relaxed some, but he was by no means a tango expert. He kept up with Franchesca well enough, and forgot to worry about the people around them. That seemed to happen often when he was with her.

The crescendo of music was paired with her twirling away, only to come swirling back into his embrace. Wolfgang locked both of his arms around her, hugging her close and meeting her in that fiery kiss with eagerness. It was worth suffering through the whole dance for that kiss, and that kiss alone.

"You are my woman," he replied, "cruel or not." Again, a small peck found her cheek, catching the very edge of her lip with a smirk. Once he pulled back, he stepped away from their embrace to make his way off the dance floor, never letting his hand slide entirely free from his lover's.

"This mask is getting itchy," he admitted in a huff once they were to the darkened sidelines. His free hand wiggled fingers up under the edge of his mask, readjusting it. "Want to take a quick break from these masks and see the maze? I did promise to introduce you to a few people, but they can wait a bit longer."

They could wait forever, really, but Franchesca made no mention of it. Instead she just maintained the stupid, head over heels grin that had found her since the moment his hand rested against her back. Franchesca looked off in the direction of the maze, nodding in agreement before turning back to face him fully.

"Let's take a break then--maybe with a glass of water or two." Franchesca quipped. Between the alcohol, the dancing and Wolfgang's kiss she was quite the warm woman in that moment. Hot in both meanings of the word with the way the thinnest coat of sweat made her skin glimmer in the dim light even more. He indulged her and they made the quickest of a detour towards the bar before crossing the pavilion.

Franchesca wasn't sure what to expect. There was never a maze to traverse in Seattle and there certainly wasn't one to explore in Vernazza. Her fingers remained tangled in his as they came to the opening and with a breath she turned to him once more. Her nose itched against the glitter of her mask.

"Shall we?"

"Mm, probably a good idea," he agreed. While the single double-shot of whiskey was not enough to inebriate him entirely, it did leave him with a parched feeling far in the back of his throat. He imagined, as the night progressed, he'd be a few more shots of whiskey in, and pacing himself with water would be a good thing. His priority in that moment, however, was a whole other tall, cool glass of water... in a thin black dress and a thick fur coat.

"We shall," he agreed as he took her hand and led the remaining distance. The maze was a glorious design reaching around the farside of the gallery. In daytime, it was a draw for tourists near and far, but in nighttime, it was spooky in its darkness and uniformity. Every hedge was a homogenous green, cut with a square top at least twice as tall as Wolfgang, and in the center was a glorious oak tree. Wolfgang, when he first encountered the maze a few years back, assumed the oak had been there first, and some person without enough to do or way too much money had a whim for a maze.

The echoes of other people already in the maze echoed into the night air in the form of giggles and gasps. One woman screamed in surprise. Wolfgang proceeded quietly, his hand tangled up in Franchesca's, as he drew her past the wrought iron arched gates announced the entrance--and exit-- of the labyrinth.

Entering the first stretch of hedgerows, the gate behind them quickly disappeared. Each wall of green was identical to the next without any identifying marker of any kind.

Wolfgang strolled in the mowed grass path, sliding his hand free so he could rip off his mask for just a little while. He couldn't contain the sigh of relief that decompressed his chest when the itchy wolf mask was pulled away from his face. With the mask freed and hanging by the silk in his hand, he slid his opposite arm around Franchesca's shoulders just in time for them to come to the first fork in their path.

"Where to?"

You never really know what its like to be in a maze until you are actually in one, Franchesca realized. The greenery was beautiful, if not intimidating the way it towered over them at all sides. She wondered if people actually got lost and what would happen if they did. Was there some employee out there in a fine suit with a map of the place? It was intriguing.

Franchesca walked with him seemingly content to let the energy of their dance slowly melt away into a comfortable air. She undid her mask as he had, hands rising up to the back of her head to unmake the knot Raya had created. Wolfgang wrapped his arm around her and if one were to consider them in that moment as a single being, well then the being held a mask at both of its sides.

Franchesca looked up to him at his question, flutters anew at seeing his face no longer hidden by the image of a wolf. She looked back forward and contemplated. "Right is always right, I suppose." She mused, urging them deeper into the direction of their choosing.

There was something awfully exciting about the prospect of getting lost with him, Franchesca had to admit. They came to an opening with three ways out not including the path they had taken in. Like he had before Franchesca left the decision which, with Wolfgang.

Wolfgang didn't look down to Franchesca, knowing that if he did, all his internal cogs and gears would grind to a halt and he'd be forced to submit to her. He was enjoying their walk, but even feeling her at his side, surrounded by nobody except tall, carefully watching hedgerows, was exciting. His blood thundered in his ear drums, and he did what he could to still his ever racing heart.

But he was just a man of flesh and bone, and he couldn't defy his emotions any more than anyone else. So, the sweaty palms and palpitating pulse remained as they took their rightward path.

Arriving at the next intersection, Wolfgang led them straight through without pause, idly groping for some topic of conversation, but not feeling desperate for it, either. She was one of the few people on the planet he felt as comfortable in silence with, as he did in conversation.

Though they'd only taken two turns, he was already beginning to feel lost. Everything was looking the same— each green needle the same silver shade in moonlight. The chilly breeze gushed in through the maze passages, barrelling down between the rows.

"So, tell me something. Anything you'd like."

Franchesca was grateful for the warmth now, from Wolfgang and the fur caressing her shoulders alike. The farther and farther they strayed from all the humbug of the masquerade, the cooler the night became. With the cold her want to be warmed up even further by his hand grew. It was a naughty thought and one she considered acting upon at his question.

She chose otherwise, for now.

"Anything? Well. I have half a mind to just go barefoot because heels that are not on boots are, admittedly, not my strong suit." Franchesca chuckled softly, nudging him slightly but only so he knew she didn't speak with utmost seriousness. With another breath her eyes turned to the sky and she continued.

"My day with Raya was interesting. She said I was lucky to have you but that gorgeous, gorgeous woman doesn't know the half of it." Franchesca said only her eyes fluttering back to him. "Your turn. Tell me something. Anything."

His eyes darted to her heels as they walked and he allowed his gaze to wander up her legs, the powerful curve of her calves but cutting himself off before he got too carried away. "I'm surprised you're walking in them at all. They look like torture devices, though you danced beautifully in them."

And she had, truly. Then again, she could have done the chicken dance and Wolfgang would have admired her all the same.

He smiled inwardly at her next comment, letting them casually drift through the maze. Neither one of them seemed to be solely making decisions on where to go. Rather, it felt like some sort of current pulled them along in certain directions.

"I'm glad you had a nice day with Raya, though it sounds like she's filling your head with fallacies." He gave her shoulder a small squeeze. "Well, tell you anything? I hadn't prepared. Hm. I feel very out of place at events like this. They're nice, but I've never felt like I've belonged in such an atmosphere."

"Mm. I mean it in the best way possible when I say I'm not surprised to hear that, Wolfie." Franchesca smiled, turning as she spoke so she could plant a light kiss on the hand which rested on her shoulder. She chuckled softly at the thought... they were too alike for their own good, really. "I suppose I'll have a real taste of it when we return and say hi to all the important faces, but so far I vastly prefer now to the thought of doing that."

"I suppose we're just lucky that there was a conveniently placed maze we could disappear into." She mused later, leaning into him as they continued to fall deeper and deeper into the green hedges. Feeling led their direction, rather than thought and when they came to dead ends they simply turned and went the other way.

It was calm, quiet, and Franchesca could only hope that whatever had formed between them would stand the test of time.

Wolfgang Reiter was no pauper. There was a reasonable fortune behind his name, yet he worked a modest job and lived a modest life in a modest house because that was the type of person he was. It wasn't frugality so much as disinterest in things. He could have bought a nice car, he supposed, but to what end? Who would he impress besides people he had no interest in being friends with?

That was not the case at the gallery. People like Dandelion enjoyed their money, and enjoyed spending it even more.

"Yes, it is rather convenient, isn't it?" he mused, wondering if they'd be able to disappear forever in the folds of darkness.

They didn't, however, and after about a half hour, the maze spit them out at the centre. A large, ancient oak towered into the sky, climbing at branches against stars. Several stone benches encircled the tree, and beds of manicured flowers carpeted the open space. From the maze centre, four separate enterances circled the opening.

"Ah! We made it."​

• Love
Had Franchesca been wearing anything other than stilettos and a multi-thousand dollar dress she probably would have been content to just lie with Wolfgang in the flowerbeds. She was tempted to bring it up, but held the thought off, as her eyes took in the image that appeared before them.

The tree was ancient and from where they stood the branches threatened to swallow the sky whole. There was something undeniably beautiful about a piece of nature as grand as this thriving and surviving while surrounded in a city of stone.

Her eyes glittered across the space, taking in the details. The artist within her twitched with excitement and Franchesca did her best to see all she could see. The dark haired woman would paint the tree at the end of the maze, she was sure of it, but for now there was more important things to attend to.

Franchesca turned to Wolfgang and, without a single word, sank her lips into his. The kiss was slow and tender, quiet like their respite from the gala with the exception of the growing thud in her chest. Her thumb found his cheek, stroking the freshly shaven surface with a lightness that was nearly careful and her other hand beckoned him closer.

As always, Franchesca only broke the embrace to catch her breath. "We made it." She echoed.

He'd been to the center of the maze several times, for he'd been to gallery opening at that exact gallery more than once, though each time, he forgot how beautiful it all truly was. The nuances of the veined bark reaching up the tree, finalised with a thick canopy of barbed leaves faded in his memory between each visit. The fragrance of the flowerbeds, so incredibly rich and loamy, was forgotten, but renewed again with a gentle smile. It was a place he enjoyed, deeply.

Wordlessly, he admitted the scenery with Franchesca, made all the more special by her presence and the difficulty of finding the secret spot.

A soft tug drew him towards his lover, and he didn't hesitate to delve closer to her. His fingers dropped his mask on to the grass floor, favoring instead the small of her back. He hugged her close, deepening their kiss as his other hand explored the very fine curve of her hip bone. Her touch left a prickle of desire run the length of his spine, and he murmured with agreement.

The kiss broke and he smiled in his usual way, with the dimples forming. "And do you like it? Being here?"

"I love it, Wolfgang." Franchesca breathed. She loved the image of him standing with her underneath the tree, the scent of the flowers mixing with his musk, the goosebumps that rose where his fingers landed. She loved him but couldn't bring herself to say it out loud. There was fear there, underneath the adrenaline rush that his lips gave her, but she did her best to ignore it.

Franchesca did that by kissing him again. It was a pleasant mix between the fiery kiss back on the dance floor and the kiss they had just shared a moment prior. The heat was undeniable in this third embrace, but she remained civil, even though her fur coat slouched farther than ever as her arms wrapped around him. Smiling into their kiss, she cooed.

"Thank you."

She had never given him the gratitude he deserved for being there for her, for giving her the opportunity to fly into a different country and live the high life for a weekend. He was always quick to tell her that she was capable of reaching this point on her own, and perhaps that was true, but Franchesca knew that she'd gladly have none of this at all if it meant having him.

Wolfgang was never keen on gratitude, but when she thanked him, it felt so raw and earnest that he couldn't help but wrap his arms all the way around her shoulders and pull her against his chest. Their kiss had long broken, and he rested his chin on the top of her head.

"You're welcome."

Not for being her professor, not for giving her artistic opportunities... he would have done that no matter what. "But I owe you thanks just as much as you do me."

Maybe she didn't realise how much she had done to him, how deeply her fingerprint had impacted his life, but she'd been an immense force like nothing else had ever been. She came shooting into his little universe like a comet: disorganising all his starts, throwing his planet off its axis. Nothing would be the same after her.

And, truthfully, he never wanted it to go back to what it had been before.

"You've become more important to me than painting."

He pulled her in and Franchesca exhaled softly, her head turning to lie against the solid of his chest. Her eyes closed and her arms rose to give him the simplest of hugs, though the feeling behind it was anything but.

If she was a comet than he had been the star that drew her in. In a time span of just two weeks Wolfgang had come to mean so much to her that she was convinced she was crazy, but so was he and that made the thought all the more sweet.

Hearing the admittance that left him caused her to give him another squeeze. She wanted to berate him, to tell him to not say such poignant things because it could very well ruin all the work she and Raya had done, but all that came out was a shaky whisper.

A whimper, really. "Please tell me I'm not dreaming all this."

"Hm. Maybe you are, maybe I am. That's the risk of it though, right?" He mused, craning his neck to look down at her, his fingers tangling through the ends of her hair. "That's all of life. You could wake up and everything you thought you had, accomplished, were... was a dream. Is that worth not living for? I'd rather wake up tomorrow and have it be a dream than to not risk it at all."

Bending, he pressed a kiss against the top of her head. "Come, let's not think of such things now."

Franchesca looked up to match his gaze, her chin resting lightly against the man while her expression remained sullen. The more she fell for him, the more she realized how scared she was at the thought of suddenly losing him. Though her reddened lips pressed out into a pout and her eyes hinted at her worries, she nodded in agreement all the same.

"So what kind of things would you like to think about, Wolfgang?" She asked, perking up in an attempt to try and raise her spirit as best as she could. After all, they still had a decent amount of party left to attend.

Franchesca made it apparent though that the courtyard could wait longer, urging him over to one of the stone benches that surrounded the grand tree so she could take a break from the heels.

He noted the sadness in her expression, and reflected it with concern in his own. "Anything, really," He said, following behind her and going to sit on one of the benches. Once sitting, he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and gave a smile as he reflected up at the tree.

"This would be a nice place to paint. I really should come here for personal time, rather than just whenever there is an opening. Hm."

Franchesca undid the straps of the stilettos, tossing them aside with a breath of relief before retiring underneath the weight of Wolfgang's arm. There she quietly laid into him, looking up as he did, and smiling through the heaviness she felt when he had. "Well there's still tomorrow."

"Nothing is stopping us from buying a few painting supplies and camping out here before we catch the plane back." Franchesca suggested plainly, contemplating for a moment before continuing. "Well nothing so long as the gallery owners are okay with it I suppose."

"That is a good point," he agreed. "Is that something that would interest you? I know the owners of the gallery, or rather, the curator and I'm certain she'll allow us to come by, if you'd like."

He wouldn't mind the opportunity to paint, alone with Franchesca, before returning to campus and to their lives of professor and student.

"It's something I would love to do, frankly." Franchesca admitted with a smile that was a little stronger than the one it followed. It was a comforting thing to picture at the very least. The dark haired woman looked up at him a little more fully, adjusting her fur coat so she could nudge him again proper.

"Is this curator one of the people I'll be meeting tonight?" She asked.

"Oh yes, I'm sure she'll be around for you to meet," he readily agreed, "and I'm sure she'll allow it, so that will be a nice way to spend tomorrow, assuming the weather stays nice."

No part of him wanted to return to the gala, though he knew it was only a matter of time before they'd have to go back.

Franchesca nodded but offered no more than a small hum of acknowledgement. The worry was still there, a storm quietly brewing unbeknownst to the woman who held it, but her expression was pleasant as their conversation melted into a light silence. They were at peace being together in the quiet, but she knew just as much as he did that their time underneath the tree was only temporary.

"Do we have to go back?" Franchesca ended up saying, eyes flickering to him with a playfulness that had faded over their journey deeper into the maze.

In silence, they sat for some time and Wolfgang enjoyed it. He knew it would likely be his best moment from the weekend, and he relished it up until Franchesca brought him back to reality.

He sighed, turning to kiss the top of her head. "Yes, I suppose we must, my heart."

Franchesca smiled at the lightness of his kiss but made no move to stand. Instead she turned and buried herself a little deeper into his side, nuzzling against him as she mumbled.

"Five more minutes." She told him, her grin growing wider. Between Wolfgang and the sweet relief of not having to wear her heels she would be damned if they didn't take their sweet time heading back.

"Five more minutes?" The silver haired professor laughed, turning his weight on to one hip so he could wrap both of his arms around her, drawing her in nice and close. "Is this what you say when your alarm goes off before class?" He teased, his chuckle subsiding.

"Very well, five more minutes." Mostly because he didn't want to leave, either.

"Maybe. You'll just have to stay over one night and findout." Franchesca grinned, shaking the both of them lightly with a round of her own chuckles. She shook her head, knowing that Raya would be disappointed to see her messing up her perfect "imperfect" hairdo.

"Will I? Haven't I already? Though mostly unintentionally, I'll admit." It hadn't been his plan to stay at the Inn because he was playing drunken stripping, but that's the way the evening unfolded. "Perhaps I'll have to stay again and find out."

Her aunt seemed accepting enough, he supposed, but few others would be— at least at the school.

"Last time at the Tregua doesn't count. We were drinking. You should come on just a regular school night. It would be nice." Franchesca explained calmly. She could enjoy the mundane just as much as she did the extravagant with Wolfgang.

"Doesn't count? Well, if it doesn't count, than perhaps I should." They'd have to be much more careful in Italy than they were at the gallery opening. They couldn't just wander around openly holding hands, and retreat to the Inn with as much ease as they could there. "That sounds lovely."​

• Love
"If I'm being completely honest I have no idea how I'm going to manage keeping my hands off of you when we get back. In public, anyways." Franchesca mused lightly.

It had been surprisingly easy transitioning from secrecy to... this, curled up on a bench together, arm in arm. Truth being told, Wolfgang wasn't sure how he was going to maintain professionalism with her, either. "I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it without your hands all over me, as well."

Though it certainly felt like it when she was with him, time did not stop for their pleasure. Each second the clock ticked away, their five minutes underneath the tree rapidly counting down. Now, Franchesca was sure that she wasn't done having fun for the night, but the thought evoked a small sigh all the same.

She stood up, her hand still holding onto his, as she stooped down to pick up her heels from the ground. Franchesca did not bother putting them on, they still had to make their way back, opting to carry them as she tugged her lover to a stand.

"You think we'll run into Dandelion and Raya while we answer our adoring crowd?"

"I'm almost certain of it," he replied, grabbing his mask from where he placed it down next to himself, and picking up Franchesca's, too. With his hand still tangled up in hers, he led the way slowly back to the party. Or the way he thought he remembered.

He got them a bit lost for a while, though eventually, the wrought iron gates marking the exit came towering back into view. The party, though unseen, was a murmur of white noise of a hundred conversations spoken in various languages.

"Here is your mask. Do you need help getting it back on?" Perhaps it was just an excuse to step up behind her and brush his fingers through her hair.

The masquerade looked as lively as ever when they returned. Franchesca peered over it all for a moment, the crowd, the sound of a hundred voices speaking to one another, the music that she could only guess would remain playing into the early hours of the morning.

There she separated herself from Wolfgang, taking a moment to redo the strapping of her stilettos and wobbling before answering his question with a sly smirk. "I'll tie your ribbon if you tie mine."

She stood straight once more, tilting her head while she turned to face him. "One last kiss before the masks come on wouldn't hurt though."

Not a man to turn down the offer, Wolfgang caught her waist and pressed a searing kiss against her lips. It took some effort to forcibly separate himself, as if he kissed her any longer, he would have seen to it that they never made it back to the event.

"Alright, turn around," he said, guiding her with one hand on her bare shoulder. The calloused fingertips grazed over her tender skin as he brought the mask over her eyes and tied the silk straps at the back of her head.

"There you are, lady fox."

Franchesca giggled excitedly as the distance between them closed, letting the lot them out just in time before Wolfgang pressed a fierceness against her lips that got her heart racing all over again. He pulled away and commanded her and she listened, albeit happily dazed. She thrived under his touch and smiled widely as the mask tightened against her.

"Here I am, my darling wolf. Now turn around." Franchesca instructed right back, quick to take Wolfgang's mask from his hand and usher him into position. She did the same as he had done for her, pressing a kiss against the nape of his neck as soon as his mask was secured.

She waited for him to face her before motioning back towards the courtyard. "Shall we?"

Franchesca's giggle was sweet and infectious, bringing a smile to his lips as he turned and crouched a bit so she could tie on his mask. It felt just as bad as it did earlier in the night, but he supposed he could tolerate it for a few more hours. The party was bound to thrive until the wee hours of the morning, but Wolfgang was never the type to stay until the very end. He simply couldn't be bothered. The kiss to his neck was a stark reminder of the exact reasons he didn't plan to stay, and the small hairs prickled with goose bumps.

Motioned back towards the courtyard, he nodded his response and ambled up the stone steps and back towards the crowd. He paused only briefly to extend his hand back to Franchesca, wiggling his fingers at her in a silly manner. "I think it's time we introduce you around."

Franchesca eyed the wag of his fingers with a playful sort of distrust, the expression on her face matching rather well to the animal her mask was formed in likeness to. "Time to show them that I'm even better than the image Dandelion had painted of me." She grinned, wrapping his fingers in hers before being drawn back into the thick of things.

She was a little worried but also a little excited. Most people back at Lorenzo would kill for the opportunity to meet and greet the people she was coming to, but it stroked Franchesca's ego to know that both her and Wolfgang were far from most people.

She pressed forward as she followed her lover, closing the distance between them so she could whisper in his ear. "So who's first?"

"Who is first..." he echoed after her, sweeping his eyes through the crowd and tabulating the faces he saw. Some of the individuals present were incredibly well-known, but also extremely eccentric, and were probably better left to later in the night, when he was confident Franchesca's sureness wouldn't be so shaken by nervousness.

He didn't even need to make a decision, because before he was able to locate a suitable partner of conversation, a feminine, accented voice called out from their left.

"Wolfgang, is that you?"

The woman who spoke pushed through the crowd a bit. She wore a mask, though it was slender and solid black, just barely covering the space above and below her eyes. She looked to be about his same age, perhaps thirty-five or so, and carried her age with equal grace. Her short blonde hair was a rich colour, matching the warm pink of her lipstick shade.

As she approached, the tight black dress fluttered at her ankles. Everything she wore was obviously expensive, and well-crafted, but nothing stood out as flaunting of wealth, like some of the extravagant attire choices made by other guests.

The woman placed her hand on Wolfgang's shoulder and arched up on to her red-bottom heels to press a kiss to his cheek.

"Emma," Wolfgang replied, his hand resting on her elbow. "Very good to see you again. Emma, this is Franchesca Rossi. Franchesca, this is Emma, the curator of this museum."

"Franchesca," Emma replied, testing the name on her tongue though the name never placed. "It is a pleasure." The woman didn't offer a hand to shake, though she did lurch her weight back on to one heel to look the younger lady over once. "You look like a painter-- oil, I'm assuming. Realism, likely, but with a more whimsical note than Wolfgang's style. You're his apprentice, I would only guess, but also his lover? Tell me, do you have a portfolio here I may see?"

The woman, Emma, seemed to register the situation quite readily and without hint.

Franchesca hadn't even been given the opportunity to offer a polite likewise in response before suddenly, and without reservation, she was simplified down to three sentences. The guess that she was his lover was hardly feat, they had been holding hands before Wolfgang had to greet her, but the way Emma pinned Franchesca's preferred medium and style was dauntingly accurate. The dark haired woman would have been impressed if she hadn't found such a forwardness rude.

But, considering the likes of Dandelion and how poorly she had reacted when she first met the mentor, Franchesca made it a point to keep her cool. She couldn't help the raise of a questioning brow, however.

In a matter of seconds, Franchesca considered the possibility that Emma was simply testing her--trying to gauge the kind of person she was through her reaction. Or perhaps bluntness was simply appreciated among all the complicated individuals that were drawn to their business.

Like the blonde hadn't offered her hand, Franchesca hardly offered her a genuine smile. "I'm afraid showing off my art wasn't terribly high on my list of agendas for the evening. I did not bring anything to share." She began, putting on a convincing enough front as she came closer and rounded about to Wolfgang's side.

"You guess right though--apprentice, lover, oil." Franchesca went on, chuckling softly as her gaze shifted to Wolfgang and then back. "Sometimes when I want to make things a little more difficult, I try to dabble in watercolor but nothing has ever come out as beautiful as the art gathered here tonight."

Under different circumstances, running into Emma was a difficult and uncomfortable process. It was still uncomfortable, but it was less difficult than it ever had been, because for the first time, Wolfgang didn't question the 'what ifs' in his mind. She was a woman he loved, and perhaps still held a little bit of regard for, but he didn't pine for unanswered questions. All his life, he'd been a strong advocate for 'things happen for a reason,' but when it came to Emma, he always forgot his own philosophies.

Finally, he understood why she left him. Had she not, he never would have gone to Italy, never would have become a professor, never would have met Franchesca. His gaze shifted to the dark haired woman, exchanging a glance with her. He'd known Emma for a very long time, yet it always felt like he'd known Franchesca longer.

"I suppose not," Emma agreed, curling a finger below her narrow chin. "It is a shame, though. You're young," she commented, though whether it was a natural observation or a pointed comment directed at Wolfgang, it was hard to say. "You're young, and you shouldn't fear being to the caliber of the artists here, yet. It takes time to perfect any craft."

"We were hoping to be able to stop by tomorrow and paint at the oak, if you wouldn't mind," Wolfgang interjected, forcing Emma's eyes away from Franchesca.

"Oh, of course," she answered. "We'd be happy to have you. We still house two of your most famous paintings. Perhaps we can add a third?"

"I do hope you'll be painting as well, Franchesca?"

Franchesca wanted to point out that it wasn't a matter of fear. It was a matter of respect. It was the opening of an entire gallery, a unified collection, and though the majority of the people surrounding them could easily make her career happen, she had no intentions to try and force herself into the spotlight. Her time would come. She was always sure she would be someone, Wolfgang simply confirmed that belief with his support.

Tonight belonged to the gallery, to the masquerade, but that didn't mean she couldn't leave an impression.

It did not escape Franchesca's notice that she had been excluded from Emma's words right until her question. It would have been so easy to point out that Wolfgang had clearly said we, but she bit back her snark.

"Something that could very well end up on these very walls, in fact." Franchesca responded, her confidence matching the boldness of her claim. It was quite the thing to say, something that subjected her to intense expectations, but she meant every single word of it.

Continuing her polite front, Franchesca smiled and tilted her head slightly. "So long as you'll be happy to have me as well, anyways."

She could not help herself.

Emma arched her slender eyebrows, seeming to smile at Franchesca's bold mouth. "Perhaps," she agreed. "You are rather feisty, aren't you? Yes, of course, you are both welcome tomorrow. I may stop by myself, if you don't mind. I can offer a private tour of the gallery."

Looking between the two women, it was like peering a ways into his past, his present, and even his near future. Emma knew, of course she did, but he wondered if Franchesca understood the depth of his and Emma's former relationship. He'd told her once of having a fiancée once upon a time, and that she left him for another man, but he couldn't remember if he'd given her a name, or the small detail that they may end up crossing paths at some juncture.

"How is your husband, by the by?" Wolfgang asked suddenly, though not maliciously.

There was a flicker of a frown on Emma's face for a moment, but she swiped it away before it stagnated too long. "Well," she answered. "He travels a lot. Unfortunately, he couldn't make it tonight, but we are both incredibly invested in our work."

He saw his own fate in the face of Emma. Loneliness, exhaustion, overwork, even some level of regret. His hand fell gently against the small of Franhesca's back.

"Anyways, I should go, I have a few things to see to. I look forward to seeing you both tomorrow. Nice to meet you, Franchesca."

"So I've been told." Franchesca nodded, taking on the description like it was a badge of honor. As Dandelion would probably call her, she was a fiery little fox through and through, as unforgiving as she was quick witted. The smile was Franchesca's symbol of victory, a sign that she had done well and held her own against the first of the elite she would come to know.

With that smile came a surge of confidence that she hoped to ride for the rest of the evening.

The way her expression shifted at the mentioning of a private tour however, was rather telling of the excitement the thought gave her. There was still so much artistry for her to see here, so much artistry for her to appreciate.

Franchesca listened attentively as the conversation transitioned into a bit of an odd moment, at least for her, and smiled sweetly as Wolfgang's hand found its place touching her body.

"Likewise." Franchesca finally told Emma, waving her off politely as the blonde in the black dress disappeared into the sea around them. Immediately her eyes turned to Wolfgang and she left the question her look gave him up in the air.

He noted her questioning look, and chose to ignore it for the time being. There would be plenty of time for conversation between the two of them later, but for now, he figured it'd be best for her to spend her time meeting as many people as she could… not worrying about the company she already knew.

"Come on, let's go find someone else," he said, his hand not leaving her back. Instead, his fingers curled warmly around her side. He didn't guide her, but he did turn and less than two paces off, stumbled into another familiar face.

"Colleen?" he inquired. The woman had her back to him and he placed his free hand on her shoulder, causing her to turn.

"Oh, Wolfgang!" she cried with a crooked smile. "So good to see you again. I hope you brought your companion along this time? Dandelion has spoken so much of her this evening, I hope to see this woman in the flesh… Oooh, you must be Franchesca." The older woman, with a swirl of dark grey hair, found Franchesca in a moment and launched herself forward to place kisses on both of Franchesca's cheeks.

"Franchesca, this is Colleen. Colleen, Franchesca. Her husband is the one owning the gallery opening this evening," he explained, giving footnotes to Franchesca as they went along.

Franchesca was fortunate enough to have found someone who she could communicate with without uttering a sound. He wanted to move on and she was content with waiting, there was plenty to occupy the both of them after all. That was readily apparent as they found the next networking opportunity hardly three paces away.

Franchesca's eyes turned to the woman but before she could squeeze an introduction in she was receiving a kiss on both of her cheeks. The young woman laughed warmly at the interaction, Colleen was not Italian but her greeting certainly was.

"Franchesca Rossi, or as I assume Dandelion has mentioned at least once or twice, the Mrs. Reiter. It's a pleasure to meet you." She started. Franchesca hardly considered herself a socialite but things were surprisingly coming rather easy to the young woman. She placed a friendly hand on the older woman's shoulder.

"I hope Dandy hasn't filled everyone's head with too unlikely stories. If he says that he, Wolfgang and I have had a threesome I can assure you without a doubt that that man is lying."

Another laugh left as Franchesca took a step back towards Wolfgang. The dark haired woman shook her head.

"Regardless, the gallery is beautiful and I can't wait to look a little deeper into the works when I have the chance."

"Oh, oh," the older woman, with deep creases forming at the edges of her mouth, responded. "A threesome? My, that is naughty. Good thing Dandelion Medina has a good idea to respect his elders, much like myself."

Colleen was a friendly woman, and she looked the part. While beautiful in a classical way, her waist was a little soft in the middle, and her cheeks were fleshy and worn from smiles. Her mask, a classic face mask, bore intricate beadwork designs, and probably cost a small fortune—though the large rock on her wedding finger already spoke to her wealth. She looked like a mother, and often acted like one, too. Her gestures and body language were all as open and welcoming as her words, and a smile deepened her as she looked between Franchesca and Wolfgang.

"But I have heard quite a bit, indeed. A smart match you two make. Very handsome together," she assured them both, causing Wolfgang to smile. "As for my husband, I'm not sure where he ran off to. Boasting about his artwork to anyone who will listen, I'm sure," she continued, rolling her hand a few times to express her boredom. "You give him a gallery opening, and he thinks he's Picasso or someone. Ah, well, who knows. I do know he wished to meet with you, Franchesca. And, of course, you too, Wolfgang. He said something about an opportunity or something or other."

She shrugged it off under the cornflower blue silk of her dress. "Have you tried any of the desserts yet? They're divine. Wolfie, fetch us women some desserts, would you?"

Wolfgang smiled and bowed a bit. "Of course," he agreed to the request readily. He gave Franchesca's hip one small squeeze before he wandered off.

"So," the woman turned back to Franchesca once Wolfgang was out of sight, "how are you liking it here, dear?"

She was practicing directness, Franchesca. Her lack of hesitation when it came to Wolfgang had paved the way to where they were now and considering the likes of Dandelion, Raya and Emma... well, it couldn't hurt to be more bold. For a moment she felt like she overshared when Colleen reacted to her threesome comment but she was glad to see the older woman react to it with grace.

Franchesca took note of it, learning just as much as she was networking.

The conversation moved on and Franchesca listened attentively, nodding when it seemed appropriate and feeling just an ounce of concern at the thought of Wolfgang leaving her side. By all means she was doing well, but it was still her first big event. Alongside Colleen she watched that handsome outline of a man disappear on the way to the desserts table.

Franchesca turned to the face woman fully. She could not help but feel like it would be easier doing all this talking had there not been masks involved.

"It's a lot of adjusting, frankly." She admitted with a small grin. "I'm a stranger to these things but I'm fortunate enough to have a strong web of support." Franchesca was not only speaking about Wolfgang, but her aunt, Raya, and admittedly--Dandelion as well.

"Beyond that... well, the city is beautiful and being here at your husband's gallery opening has only made me realize how badly I'd love to open my own one day."

"Mmm," the older woman hummed thoughtfully. "Yes, these events are enjoyable and some of the people here are earnest and good, but not all. Artists are fickle creatures, I've come to find." It was clear Colleen was not an artist, and her interest in art was questionable. Her loyalty to her husband, however, could not be denied. He could have been hosting a toilet convention, and she would have been there to support him. She was one of the few who truly loved her mate, and did not marry him for fame or money.

She had plenty of both in her own right.

"Ah, so you're an artist yourself, then, are you? No wonder my husband wanted to speak with you. My husband is opening his own museum in Munich later this year, and is looking for a novice, unrecognized artist to be his first live-in artist. He's been struggling to find a good candidate."

She chuckled. "Oh, he'll be so upset to hear that I've already told you the big unveil before he's given you his spiel, but after everything Dandelion has been saying about you, he may want to consider offering you the position."​

• Love
Franchesca would have preferred to be called a lot of different things over novice, but unrecognized was accurate enough she supposed. One thing that did go recognized however was the weight of such an offer, even if it was given to her in passing. The dark haired woman perked up at Colleen's words.

"I'm going to have to figure out what Dandelion has been on about if he can convince people to take me on solely on his good word." Franchesca quipped, though she was far from joking. She had question if they would run into him but now she was certain that they needed to. Clearing her throat, she continued. "Don't be mistaken, I believe myself talented enough to stand up to the task, but I didn't think to bring any of my works to show."

"I'll be painting here tomorrow though, I believe. With Wolfgang. So perhaps I can show your husband that the woman does indeed match up to Dandelion's legend."

"Well, don't tell him I said anything," she replied with another chortle. "You'll find him wandering about here somewhere eventually, I'm sure, and he'll tell you all about it, at great length, I'm sure. Speaking of Wolfgang, where is that man?"

As if on acting cue, Wolfgang returned carrying two small plates of varied desserts. He extended one out to Colleen and the other to Franchesca, though he paused to take one of the chocolate truffles from his lover's plate once she'd taken it. He gave her a mischievous look before biting into it.

"Thank you, darling," Colleen said as she picked around her own plate, eating a few things here and there. "I was just telling Franchesca here how my husband may wish to extend her a position as the resident artist for his new Munich gallery. Remember that? He's been talking about it for years. He finally got the funding and approval to build it. It's been constructed as we speak."

Those words caused Wolfgang irreparable pause. "That's an incredible offer," he commented finally after a hesitant pause. "And congratulations to you and your husband, Colleen."

It became very apparent, very fast, that Franchesca and Wolfgang were going to have a lot to talk about once this night was over. She hadn't even thought of the repercussions of taking up the offer, it was heavily weighted with benefits, but the pause that Wolfgang gave at the mentioning of it was all she needed for a healthy dose of reality. She'd have to move again, away from Italy, away from her aunt, away from Wolfgang.

She didn't--no she couldn't think about it now. Not while there was still hours in the night left for them to spend. The dessert spread was gorgeous but suddenly Franchesca lost her appetite, still, to be polite she forced herself to munch on a brownie.

It was warm, gooey, and nearly perfect but at best it was just temporary relief. It was an incredible offer... and one she would truly have to consider when it came to her officially.

"Nothing is set in stone. If he's actually extending it to me, its only off of Dandelion's mouth. We'll just have to wait and see if my artwork is up to par." Franchesca explained, grasping for some semblance of comfort. She cleared her throat again before turning back to Colleen with a small nod. "But yes, this is all amazing. Congratulations to the both of you."

Life was seldom prone to tipping points; moments in time one could reflect and say 'yes, that's when it all went wrong.' In Wolfgang's case, this was his tipping point. He didn't know what he expected, he his worse fear was quickly approaching reality and it took everything in him to keep on a pleasant face. He knew from the beginning he'd lose her, but he didn't think so soon. Four years, perhaps, or even two...

But it was all in vain. He'd seen Franchesca's talents immediately, and it shouldn't have surprised him that others did, too.

If he knew Colleen and her husband, and he did, the offer was already solidified. All that was left was formalities. The offer would come. Not if, but when. He people here trusted Dandelion like a god and if he spoke highly of her, they'd believe it without question.

Swallowing hard, wanting to disappear from the conversation in search of drinks, food, something... Wolfgang glanced to the side and tried to smile.

"It's been a long time coming." He was struggling to find something to say, but he didn't need to, for Colleen laughed.

"He's as proud as a peacock. He's still trying to buy your Blue Woman off of Emma to bring to his gallery. He wants a Reiter original, of course. Even more so since you helped him so much with the Munich project. Anyways, he's right over there with Dandelion himself. Let's go saunter over."

When it was just Colleen and herself waiting for Wolfgang to return with desserts, Franchesca could not wait to get a hold of Dandelion and learn what he had been saying. But now, looking at the eccentric old man standing next to a finely dressed gentleman nearing the same age, approaching the both of them was the absolute last thing she wanted to do.

Franchesca and Wolfgang did not have to say the unpleasantness that rose in them like a sudden plague. She could feel it, the air of realization that came over her lover and the way it settled and hung like a weight on the both of them.

They hadn't had enough time. The whole world was a crazy, confusing mess but that alone remained the single clear thought in Franchesca's head. They hadn't had enough time.

Wolfgang had been so supportive of her career, so supportive of the thought of her making it. It propelled Franchesca, gave her the confidence to push... she never expected it to be the thing that possibly drove them apart. That was the foolish part, really. Franchesca should've known.

Casting a sideways glance in Wolfgang's direction, she swallowed and was quick to maintain appearances. A smile came, clearly weaker than the others, and she nodded. "Yes... let's."

That invitation would be everything Wolfgang wanted for her. It wouldn't be easy, not for either of them, but he loved her enough that her success was more important to him than his own happiness, but that didn't sate the terrible biting pain gnawing at his heart.

He loved a beautiful woman; he was going to be alone. Losing Emma had nearly killed him. Losing Franchesca would finish the job.

Giving a soft nod of his agreement, Wolfgang cast his eyes to his outrageous mentor who was in a handsome black suit paired with a ridiculous silver scarf drenched in sequins from end to end. It was impossible to know what he was talking about, but his hands were flailing violently as he spoke.

The group approached and Colleen slid her arm into the crook of her husband's. "Dead," she whispered to him. "This here is Franchesca."

The older gentleman, more refined than Dandelion, and balder, looked the woman over before hitting out his hand. "Nice to finally meet you. I'm Ronald."

The smile she gave Colleen's husband was more convincing than the last, but there was a hollowness there that only Wolfgang could truly see. Franchesca took his hand and gave it a good shake, acknowledging both Ronald and Dandelion with the flutter of her eyes.

"Franchesca Rossi. I hope Dandelion hasn't created too big of an image of me, though if he has I'm sure I'm not too far off from the mark." She introduced herself, pulling away and taking a step back towards Wolfgang before continuing. "Congratulations on the opening by the way. It's been stellar so far."

That was a lie. It had been stellar up until five minutes ago.

Franchesca needed the reassurance of his touch to keep herself going, to give her the strength to act like her mind wasn't in a whirl and her heart didn't hurt at the thought of parting with Wolfgang. Mirroring Colleen, she hooked her arm in his but Franchesca refused to meet his eye directly.

There was no telling what would happen if she did.

"Its nice to see you, Ronald," Wolfgang greets him with his trademark neutral tone. He wasn't happy, not in the least, and not even Franchesca's arm sliding through his could fix it. It helped though, and he hooked his arm tighter around hers. She wasn't gone, not yet, and he'd never waste a second he had left with her.

Ronald smiled. "Oh, the old coot has told me a lot, but knowing your Wolfgang's apprentice confirms everything. You're with two greats... who can argue that?" He cleared his throat. "Speaking of, in six months, I'm opening a gallery in Munich and I want, no, need, a novice resident artist. It's a two year deal. You'd live and work at the galley, painting demos, having a gallery... meeting some of the most famous guests... does his sound at all appealing to you?"

"It sounds like..."

Bullshit? A dream? Her future? It seemed no matter what answer Franchesca could give it was cruel in one form or the other. She knew what she was supposed to say, what Wolfgang would want her to say but was she capable of breaking his heart while their arms remained linked together?

"It sounds like a large commitment." Franchesca finally answered, though the tone of her voice indicated she was far from finished speaking. "A large commitment for you and I both. I believe I am what you need but I'd like a chance to earn it myself with a painting rather than have you hire me because of who I'm associated with."

Her arm tightened around Wolfgang's. She wanted nothing more but to just leave... but this was a moment in her life that would be burned in her memory forever, regardless of the outcome.

"If you are around the gallery tomorrow, Wolfgang and I just received permission to do some painting by the tree at the end of the hedge maze." Franchesca explained, her voice surprisingly firm despite the turmoil boiling within her. She hadn't realized how demanding she sounded until it all left her but by that time Franchesca knew there was very little point in trying to take it all back.

"I'd appreciate the opportunity to make you something that shows that I'm talented enough for this Munich project...sir." She added.

"Of course it is!" Ronald burst out laughing, "and I don't expect an answer right now. Hell, there are still details that need to be worked out. I will be around tomorrow and I'd love to see you— the both of you." He motioned towards Wolfgang, as well.

Wolfgang, feeling the tightening on his arm forced himself to look at her, though it wasn't easy. This was what he wanted for her, in his heart of hearts, he knew that to be true, but there was a terrible war raging in himself. Offering a haggard smile, he nodded.

"That sounds lovely, Ronald."

Dandelion was suspiciously quietly, sitting back on his heels and surveying the pair proudly. He thought he had given them everything— ignorant of the conflicted feelings boiling in the couple.

Franchesca wish she could share the same levity. What he was proposing was an absolute dream, a great way to start a career and one that would give her so much opportunities it was insane to even consider denying it. But maybe that was what love did to you... it made you absolutely crazy.

Germany, Raya, the masquerade, the tree at the end of the maze, Emma, Wolfgang. It was literally too much, Franchesca felt overwhelmed and the way her heart was being tugged mercilessly in two opposite directions was the last straw. She needed to get out.

"I look forward to talking and impressing you tomorrow then." Franchesca breathed, trying her best to seem confident. She gave him a good smile before continuing, her eyes drifting between the art elite surrounding her. "I'm terribly sorry to cut our first meeting so short, especially after such a stunning offer, but I'm actually feeling a little light headed."

"If you'll excuse us." Franchesca said though it was only a formality. She urged Wolfgang to follow after her and Franchesca simply kept walking, she had no urge to return. Her eyes remained on the doors leading into the gallery and that's where they stayed until finally the two of them had a chance to be alone once more.

Standing in the wide open space of the gallery interior, Franchesca undid the makings of her mask silently. She had still yet to look at him fully. "I...I don't know if I want to talk about it just yet." Franchesca admitted with a shakiness she only allowed herself with him. Another sigh left her and she turned, eyes falling down to the floor as she approached him.

"I'm sorry. I just needed to get out of that whole... situation."

Franchesca slipped free with what only he knew as an excuse. He smiled to his childhood acquaintances, thanking them all for the lovely evening. He pointedly paused to kiss Colleen's cheek before saying his last good night and slipping away to follow after Franchesca.

He walked with such purpose, no one could have stopped him if they wanted to. He didn't slow until he pushed open the door to the then quiet gallery, breaking into a trot to catch up with his lover, his entire heart.

"Talk about what?" He asked, playing that silly game of dumb. If she wasn't ready, he wouldn't push. He did, however, close the last of the distance between them. He ripped his mask off and placed his other hand on his shoulder before sliding his hand across her back.

"I'm hungry. Do you want to go get a burger and fries with me?" He tugged her gently, stepping in until he was close enough to hug her. Both of his arms came around her tiny frame, and a kiss nestled at the top of her head.

Franchesca knew it was foolish to consider herself unlucky, but it seemed that fate had written difficulty in her stars. The hug was everything that she needed in that moment, her head resting against the consistent beat of his heart while his arms reassured her and gave the woman warmth. She hugged him right back, her hands wrapping around the length of him.

They didn't have enough time but they were not parted yet.

"I would love to." Franchesca answered softly, though she refused to be the one to part their embrace. She closed her eyes and held her forehead against his chest.

"Take me literally anywhere."

Wofgang would have cradled her forever. He stroked her back gently with his thumb and cooed softly against her hair. "You, lucky lady, I'm taking to McDonald's."

He tried to joke but he was struggling to get the inflection in his voice. Instead, it sounded a little pained and remote. Stepping away, but hooking his arm around her shoulders to keep her close, he coaxed her along.

"Come on. Let's go."

They were both hurting at the thought, that was evident enough, but hearing his voice hardly did much for how she felt. If he was going to try and put up a strong front however, Franchesca aimed to do the same. He moved from her but never too far, and the dark haired woman secured his waist while he held her shoulder.

"Lead the way, my heart." She motioned, smiling genuinely for the first time since realization dawned on her. There was still weakness there, in the way her lips curved but not as strongly as they could, but Franchesca was trying. Oh she was trying.

Wolfgang was not okay, but he knew Franchesca needed him to be, so he would try his damnest. He wasn't usually one for hamburgers and fries, but the grease and salt was needed in those moments.

Leading the way out to the front of the gallery, he hailed their driver and explained they needed to make a quick stop. The driver was more than obliging and drove them, in silence, to the nearest McDonald's and pulled off. As before, he opened the doors for them.

Wolfgang slid out and held his hand out for Franchesca to take. They looked silly at McDonald's at nearly midnight, dressed the way they were. They stood out from the throngs of drunk university students like sore thumbs, but he couldn't bother to be embarrassed. He was too busy suffering otherwise.

The silence in the car was not the same silence they had underneath the tree. In fact, they couldn't have been more far apart. The silence in the car was accompanied by a ringing in her head, a feeling of discomfort at knowing they were suddenly on a very brief time limit.

It wasn't right but in reality very few things are fully right. If that wasn't the case then Rafael would be safe, her parents would have come back and she wouldn't have to worry about parting from Wolfgang. Ever.

She was glad for the golden arches that came into their view, Franchesca certainly needed some comfort food, but when Wolfgang stepped out and extended a hand to her she paused.

For the second time that night, Franchesca took off her heels. She cast them aside and stepped out barefoot, brazen in her otherwise full outfit and makeup. Without warning Franchesca took his hand and held herself against him, whispering into the man's ear.

"We're going to eat and go right back to hotel afterwards." She commanded, a certainty returning to her voice. "...And there, we are going to spend the rest of the night in each other's arms, alright?"

Though it was phrased like a question, Franchesca did not wait for an answer. She pulled away, but never too far, and lead him into the fast food spot by the hand. The thought still rung in her head, Franchesca Rossi did not have enough time with Wolfgang Reiter, but with it accompanied a new drive to make every second they did have left worth it.

Though he detested seeing Franchesca in the state she was in, it made him smile to know she was still herself. The demands were whispered quietly, but were still demands and he could only acknowledge them with a nod. Her hand grasped him and tugged him along, and he followed.

When it came to her, he always did.

Wolfgang wasn't sure he knew was true tenderness was. He hadn't known it much in his life, but he showed it because he was desperate to. Desperate to understand what it meant to be loved without condition, and to give that back in full to another human being. He might not have truly understood what it meant to love, but he loved incredibly honestly, because he wanted it more than anything.

The aroma of grease hit him the moment he stepped into the restaurant. "What do you want? I'll order for you." She didn't speak German, and judging by the bubblegum snapping teenagers on the other side of the counter, they didn't speak English.

Once she had given him her request, he ordered and paid for them both, handing the small call ticket to her though the food didn't take long. He took their tray and motioned to Franhesca. "Let's find a quiet corner."

Franchesca stayed by his side throughout the whole process. They were drawing looks but it would have been hard not to considering the way they were dressed and the way she lacked shoes. It was evident in the way she looked that Franchesca was still dealing with unpleasant thoughts but she refused to let it get in the way of what ever time they had left, be it six months or six days.

Franchesca gave him a hum of acknowledgement as he turned to her before leading the both of them to the corner farthest from all the German students cramming away besides their empty trays. The dark haired woman sat across from him, quick to grab a few of the fries and sip a bit from her coke.

Franchesca lifted her feet up and place them lightly above his, not only to spare her soles from meagerly cleaned floors but to feel his touch while she could.

"I'll be honest, Wolfie. When I pictured tonight this isn't where I imagined to end up eating dinner." She mused lightly, swishing the soda around in its container before her gaze came to meet his. "I'm glad I'm here though. With you. Waiting with great anticipation to see what a German quarter pounder tastes like."

Tucking into the hard plastic bench, looking sorely out of place-- not just for his choice of attire, but also for his humanly aura-- Wolfgang plucked at his fries relentlessly. He didn't often afford himself such foods, but when he needed them, they were damn good.

"Truthfully," he said, biting down on a fry and twirling it between his fingertips. "It's not precisely what I was picturing, either." He tried to feign a smile when she mentioned she was glad she was there with him, but his dimples deceived his effort when they didn't form.

"Well, I've heard that McDonald's tastes just about the same anywhere you go. I suppose we'll find out here in just a few moments."​

• Love
Wolfgang was right, like always, and one of the teens came with another tray full of their orders mere moments later. Franchesca was much like her aunt, fast food could never replace home cooking in her mind, but it certainly had its place.

The lack of depth in his grin could not escape Franchesca's detail oriented eye but like he hadn't pushed back in the gallery, Franchesca did not push him then. She unwrapped her burger quickly, biting generously into the messy little thing and leaving traces of her lipstick on the bun.

While she chewed Franchesca knew that they wouldn't be able to avoid the topic forever.

Maybe they couldn't avoid it forever, but Wolfgang continued to avoid it when their food arrived by unwrapping his cheeseburger and biting into it. The salty, fatty taste hit his tastebuds and brought a little bit of comfort back into his chest. He smiled softly, this time in a little bit more earnest.

"It always tastes the same," he admitted. "When I was very young, my mother would take my siblings and I to McDonalds on New Years, to celebrate."

It was a treat he had looked forward to as a child every year, and every time he ate it, he was pulled back to being eight years old, riding the bus into the city for their New Years meal. There was a lot of joy in those memories, and it managed to lighten his mood just a bit. It took him all of about five minutes to scarf everything down, and he finished it up with a sip of coke.

"I was really hungry, actually. Little cubes of cheese on toothpicks don't quite do it for me."

Franchesca was usually very grateful to insight into Wolfgang's past. It wasn't a thing that he came to share easily and knowing he did so with her was heartwarming even amidst all the rising complications. She looked up at him with her attentive eyes as he spoke, nodding, and finishing her burger just before him.

"I almost want to bring more to the hotel to be honest." Franchesca sighed, smiling as she did so. She was only being half serious, there was still a lot more comfort needed but Franchesca had a better idea than pigging out on burgers and fries. "But I suppose there's always room service... shall we?"

Franchesca ate the last of the fries before standing up with her coke in hand.

"Mhhm, and somehow, I doubt cold McDonalds is any good." He wiped his hands off on the napkin and stood, glancing back to make sure he hadn't left anything.

Looping his arm around her shoulders, he nodded. "Yes, I'm ready," he replied. He was, and he wasn't. He wanted to spend quiet time with her, wrapped up in her embrace, but he knew what that meant and he dreaded the conversation. Thinking about it was enough to form an aggressive lump in his chest.

Making their way outside and back into the town car, they made the quick drive back to the hotel. The driver pulled them right up to the front doors, and Wolfgang got out, looking over at the lobby with a stomach full of lead.

The walk back to the car was quiet and so was the drive. Franchesca leaned on Wolfgang all the while, her hand resting on his back even when they stepped out mad their way into the lobby. The silence remained as they moved across the marble floors and up the lift. The happy mess they had made the night before was already remedied, the room as spotless and perfect as it was when Wolfgang first flipped on the switch.

Franchesca took a few steps forward but looked back at Wolfgang as he closed the door behind them. She bit down on her lip knowing that it was up to her to force the talk. Franchesca knew if they didn't want the rest of their time in Germany to be spoiled by the afterthought of separation it was what needed to be doen.

The dark haired woman hadn't given her lover time to turn around and face her. She came to him with urgency no longer hidden behind a strong front. Her arms did their best to secure the frame of him, her head lying just below the nape of his neck. Franchesca's eyes fell to a close and she squeezed him tightly.

For a moment she held him there in silence, but with a shaky breath she began to speak. "Wolfgang... I need you to know that you are the only one for me... and it doesn't matter what happens, or where we end up going..."

"Ti voglio sempre al mio fianco, Wolfgang." She whispered, eyes closing harder and arms wrapping tighter. Franchesca knew just as much as he did though, that want alone was unfortunately not the strongest force in the universe. She swallowed hard. The words leaving with difficulty only because they were the brutal and honest truth. "Sei tutto per me."

The air in the hotel room was suffocating. Wolfgang felt the need to move without end; if his limbs were moving the anxiety was gone, or at least he could ignore it a while. He ripped the cufflinks from his sleeves and undid the tie, yanking it from around the neck. Both he dumped on to the side table at the entryway. He would have probably gone off to jerk off his coat, and unbutton the itchy white dress shirt had he the time, but before he could even lift a finger, Franchesca was there.

She darted up to him, her arms wrapping around his waist with all the might of a boa constrictor and squeezing him tight. The air fled from his lungs, not from the embrace, but from her words. Affectionately, with his sad smile softening, he passed his arms around her shoulders and encompassed her tiny frame. One hand fell against the back of her head and his thumb rubbed the curls, still stiff with hairspray.

"Franchesca…" but he had to pause to gather his thoughts into coherent sentences. The words ripped across his brain with all the might and unpredictability of an avalanche. A great pressure built in his chest, and it was painful. "You mean everything to me, and we're afeared. But what of it? Do we sit down and weep and tremble? Life must go on. And what will be, will be. What is destined can't be avoided, in any case."

Craning his head, Wolfgang kissed the top of her head. He wanted, more than anything, to tell her he loved her. That the very idea of knowing he was going to loser her sent his mind into confusion, but he believed it would only be worse.

"But you should act, be brave, seize life by the scruff of theneck. Believe me, you should only regret inactivity, indecisiveness, hesitation. You shouldn't regret action or decisions, even if they occasionally end in sadness."

There was comfort in his thinking. There was comfort in believing that every thing was a product of design, of destiny, and that whatever was to happen was simply always meant to be. The line of thought was sweetest however--when it came to them. It brought on the idea that all their hardship, all their struggle, it was meant to bring them together. It meant that they were made to alleviate each other's loneliness, to heal them from scars that were long thoughT permanent.

But if that was the case, Franchesca was sure more than ever that destiny was a cruel, cruel thing. A part of her knew that she'd gladly throw everything away for him, she cared for him that much, but another knew that Wolfgang would never forgive himself if she did. He would not want her ten, twenty years from now feeling like he had stolen something from her because they fell in love while she was so young.

He gave her his consent and Franchesca nodded into his chest without a word, knowing that if she were to try and talk about it she'd stain his dress shirt with her tears. She'd take the offer tomorrow, Franchesca was certain now, but she refused to dedicate any more of the night to worrying about the implications.

Seize life, he advised, do not hesitate. Franchesca was so glad that the latter had came to her own on her own just two weeks ago. Her eyes opened for the first time since they held each other by the door, looking up to Wolfgang with the slightest hint of a quiver to her bottom lip.

"Follow me." She told him, breaking free from him to disappear into the bathroom. Franchesca flipped the lights on, filling the large little en suite with warmth. The dark haired woman moved to the tub sitting just in front of the window overlooking the city. She plugged the drain and ran hot water before moving over to the bathroom sink where she began to remove her diamond earrings.

Wolfgang's image came to view in the mirror as she set the last of the pair down and there in the reflection Franchesca met his eye, the steam blurring the image as she gave him another quieted command.

"Undress me." She told him.

He did not regret his word choice. At thirty-five, he had endured life and its happenings more than Franchesca could even dare to think. He found acclaim and loneliness in equal measure. He found love and loss, success and heartache. Franchesca was an entirely new experience, however. The love he possessed for her was so fervent, yet so foreign, he could never put it in words. Like a pear, it was sweet, but it was not a shape he could describe. He couldn't steal the same opportunities from her that made him who he was. A small part of him wanted to be selfish, but only for a second.

As she nodded into his chest, he knew he'd made the right decision.

His hand cradled the back of her head, his thumb tenderly stroking the small space of skin between the back of her ear and hairline. "I'm very proud of you, Franchesca," he murmured, bending at the waist to press a kiss against the crown of her head.

She wormed her way out of her embrace with a sad look in her eye, and he raised his eyebrows as his gaze followed her to the bathroom, but his feet remained rooted for a second longer. At her demand, he obliged and followed her. He stopped first in the threshold of the bathroom, leaning against the door frame with his arms folded across his chest, just watching. She moved with such a gentle easiness. Her engagements were liquid, her fingers delicate as she turned the knob for the hot water and rose again to go to the mirror.

Wolfgang stepped into the bathroom. As she fumbled with her earrings, his hands found her hair, gently tucking thick sections behind her ear so he could kiss her shoulder.

He didn't need to be told to act on her command, though he flicked his eyes up and smiled the most earnest smile he had all night. The gaze he gave him, though distressed, had an immense power. It reached places the sun couldn't and warmed his very soul.

Wordlessly, his fingers slipped beneath the coat and took the zipper on the back of her dress and slid it down to the base of her spine.

Franchesca closed her eyes at the familiar and sweet sensation of Wolfgang's touch running down the ridges of her spine. He brought the small zipper along with it, the midnight fabric that wrapped her slowly loosening with each inch he traveled down. Her head tilted upwards, her lips parted and she let out another shaky breath as the dress fell to the marble floor.

Franchesca stepped out from the midnight fabric that pooled at her feet, sliding it aside before her eyes fluttered back open. They readjusted to the light and she was greeted by the image of herself, standing in front of him, in nothing but tight lingerie and an expansive white fur coat.

Her cheeks flushed with warmth and all across her skin excited goosebumps rose at the image of the two of them. Franchesca was certain that she'd never forget this moment. When she spoke she did so while looking at him--always at him.

"Un pensierino..." She whispered with a smile that could only be rivaled by the one he had just given. Before he could respond Franchesca turned her head, one hand rising to find and press the side of his jaw, so she could bring his lips to hers all the more ardently. Each second, Franchesca fell a little bit deeper into him, leaning against him and wanting nothing but to just groan into an embrace she would never be able to recreate once they parted.

"You're not finished..." Franchesca reminded with a smirk as their lips parted and returned like it was their destiny to.

Wolfgang whispered sweet nothings in her ear, in German, because it amused him to know she didn't understand the dirty things he crooned. More importantly, they were in Germany and it felt suiting against her whispered Italian. Each murmur and brush of skin drew a great knot of excitement in his stomach. She caught his breath in his chest, just like she always did, until it felt like he'd die of air deprivation.

Each touch made him a little lighter in the head as his heart raced to circulate blood faster. It was unfair that he could want to kiss a woman so desperately; unfair that he could want to be with a woman at such a molecular level of his being, she occupied not most of his thoughts, but all of them.

The kiss did little satisfy his desire, but coaxed his hands to work a little faster on the straps and clasps, leaving the coat for absolute last. Wolfgang might have appreciated the garments of silk and lace a little more if he wasn't so occupied with the softness of her skin, and a wonder as to how a shade of earthy tan could look so damn good at a woman's skin.

Going to help her out of the coat, he let it fall to the floor in a pool with the other garments. "Why don't you get in the bath before you get cold?"

His hands traced down both of her sides. If she didn't get in the bath then, he feared they'd never actually make it to the water.

Franchesca was being nothing but honest when they were tucked into the corner of a fast food restaurant. She was being nothing but honest when she told him how the rest of the night would pan out. If time was going to force them apart so soon they would make the most of what they had. Franchesca herself, felt like she had no choice.

Indeed. She had fallen in love with him so deeply that it felt like she'd wither away and die without his presence to steady her. The Munich Project was shaping up to be the hardest time of her life but that was all the more reason to enjoy her heart now... while she still could.

A feeling like no other arose in Franchesca with each article of clothing that Wolfgang stripped from her. Her heart picked up and her skin raced with an intense warmth. Eventually it was only fur that cradled her bare skin alongside the love of her life and even then, it wasn't long until that was sent falling to the floor as well.

His hands ran down the length of her hips and it sent an excited shiver through the course of her limbs but the foxy look in Franchesca's eyes spoiled that she had no intention of listening to him, not yet.

"Non mi va." Franchesca winked, repeating it a second later in her second language. "I don't feel like it, Wolfie... besides it's only right that I return the favor you've done for me."

With a swiftness that only added to her fox-like nature, Franchesca turned the tables and placed Wolfgang up against the counter of the sink--leaning into him close enough that their noses touched but not kissing him as she began to undo his buttons.

The water in the tub threatened to overflow but Franchesca did not care. When it came to the two of them she found herself caring for little else besides him at all.

"You're a cruel mistress," he mused as he stepped back, his weight tipped against the vanity by her hand. A purr of delight escaped between his lips as his chin tilted backwards, eyes closed and a quiver following each button that popped free by her fingers.

She was cruel in so much that he knew she was guising her teases as an effort to repay him for his services. By that point, he didn't care about the tub or the bath.

Sliding free of his dress shirt, he yanked the undershirt off over his head without waiting for her, because he needed to feel her close. He took her by the hips and crashed her against himself, meeting her lips demandingly in a searing kiss.

He would be a quiet, patient man no longer because he couldn't around Franchesca. At least for the time being.

And Franchesca loved drawing that side of him out just as much as she loved spending time with him in content quietness. The fire that had drove him in his younger years, the fire that drove her now, she felt it in his kiss and could only respond with a matching heat. He drove her incredibly mad, with both his mind and his touch, and Franchesca let herself feel all these things and more as they held each other in a fervent embrace.

When they retired they did so to a tub that had overflowed. Their expensive garments strewn about the floor near the vanity were safe, but anything nearing the tub was not spared. Her hand prints painted a rather telling picture on the steamed mirror while Franchesca laid against Wolfgang underneath a blanket of foam and bubbles. Her newly manicured toes popped out from the warmth at the very end of the tub as she bobbed her feet up and down, the water disrupting slightly with each movement she made.

Her head rested snugly in the space just above his shoulder and Franchesca pressed a soft kiss to the side of his neck, her eyes looking up at the man and the way his wet silver hair slicked downwards.

"You know I'm going to learn German eventually right?" Franchesca began playfully, nuzzling him softly and letting her chin surface and plunge underneath the water line in the process.

"I'm not saying you should translate any of those things you were whispering into my ear but don't be surprised if one of these days I'll be able to respond."

He was getting pruny, and he was proud to say it wasn't because of his age. The hot water steamed his skin. His head rested back against the tile backsplash, eyes closed. One arm dangled over the side of the tub, the other rested a hand on Franchesca's hip as she leaned against him.

Her comment drew a small smirk from him, though he didn't open his eyes. "Will you? That will be a bad day for me," he admitted. "Or maybe not. Depends if you like what you hear."

She'd have to get on German studies quickly if she planned to respond to him before Munich, but learning German may not be the worst idea for her, given the circumstances. "I could teach you, you know. I'll start with dirty talk, and we'll move into day to day conversation," he said, laughing as he sat up a little straighter and went to dunk his hand below the surface. He slicked his hair back with the cupped suds.

Franchesca brow quirked along with the resurgence of her lopsided smile. When he wanted to be Wolfgang was just as much of a tease as she was. From where she laid slightly off center, Franchesca watched him with her eyes alone while he splashed himself. He made an offer and she responded first with a noise of thought.

The young woman rolled on top of her lover carefully. Her dark hair was made into an even richer shade of black now that it was soaked and trailing down the length of her back. The curve of Franchesca's body peeked over the surface of the foam, the exposed skin covered in soapsuds and water droplets.

"We can start off with a phrase a day, if you like." Franchesca suggested with a small tilt of her head.

"A phrase a day, huh? By the time you leave, you'll be able to speak all of, oh, one-hundred and eighty phrases in German, but we'll say only ten you'll be able to say out loud in front of other people, because all the rest will be inappropriate," he teased, pinching her side.

"Alright, we'll start with one. Ready? Kann ich einen Kuss haben?" He repeated the phrase a little slower for her the second time around. As he spoke, his fingers ran through the edges of her hair, which were spread out like a veil across the water's surface.

"The real test is seeing if you'll be able to figure out what the phrase translates to."

"Mmhm. I'm okay with that." Franchesca mumbled happily at the pinch of her side, disturbing the water slightly as the action caused her to stir. Wolfgang gave her the first phrase and she listened to the German with great focus, eyebrows narrowing and a smile creeping up on her lips.

"Do I get any hints? Demonstrations?" Franchesca pondered playfully.

"It is a question," he said, though she probably already figured that much out. "And it's a question I'm asking you— to do something to me." He gave her a stupid half-grin, wondering what she'd be able to figure out.

Franchesca's head tilted even further along with the narrow of her eyebrows. The smile, of course, remained but there were too many things she would gladly do to him to guess correctly.

He was asking her for something but what? Eventually, an idea came to her and she chuckled. Franchesca splashed him playfully before pulling herself a little closer to his face, skin brushing against skin both above and below the water as she pressed a small little kiss on his cheek.

"Correct? Or...?" Franchesca asked, her lips hovering closely to his as they formed her smile once more.

"Correct," He chimed his answer, smiling happily as her lips came in to contact, so sweetly, with his cheek. "Well done, you. You'll be getting an A+ on today's German lesson. It'll be more difficult tomorrow."

It wouldn't be. He'd probably forget, unless she reminded him. "Speaking of grades," he mused, sliding his hand down the sloped curve of her spine. "I never graded those personal essays you all turned in last week."​

• Love
"That's awfully irresponsible of you professor." Franchesca smiled. She didn't blame him, she had barely managed to turn in all the requirements she needed to before the trip. Between Wolfgang and Rafael... well, school simply had to take a back seat.

Considering the Munich project though... finishing school wasn't exactly looking like an immediate thing anyways.

Franchesca smiled at the look on his face and the touch alike, cupping water in her hands and wetting his chest as she spoke. "I'm sure you'll figure something out though good luck trying to cram Rachel's report on the flight back."

Franchesca was getting a little too pruny and with a small laugh she continued. "Also what do you say we shower all this off and try not to spill red wine from the mini bar on our bathrobes?"

Wolfgang laughed at her comment. In the whirlwind, he'd nearly forgotten the saga that was Rachel's project. He wasn't particularly looking forward to reading it. In fact, he didn't really want to read any of them. Truth be told, he didn't like being a professor. He enjoyed working with young students— coaching them to success with their art.

Day to day menial tasks, homework, and exams? That was the part he failed to enjoy.

Thankfully, he didn't have to think about it as Franchesca's hand strolled the length of his chest. "I love that idea."

"So come then, my heart." Franchesca crooned, her hand sinking to find his underneath the surface before she slowly rose above the man she left lying in the tub. Eventually he stood with her and only then did Franchesca, with a skip in her step and a mischievous look on her face lead them across the en suite and into the shower.

Minutes later, Franchesca had the entirety of her dark brown hair wrapped up in a towel, her small frame wrapped up in the softest robe she had ever laid her hands on. She meandered around the bedroom, waiting for Wolfgang to pour them a glass, when her eyes landed on two classical framed paintings lining the side of wardrobe.

"Wolfie, darling, did you happen to bring a pencil or two?" Franchesca began, arms crossing underneath her chest as she turned to face him with a brightness in her eyes. "I have the perfect thing we could do alongside drink."

Though the bath had been nice, getting up and rinsing off felt just as good. He scrubbed the bubbles of soap and shampoo from his skin and hair, finally stepping out of the water and drying off into a towel and a robe.

Following after Franchesca into their room, he decorked a rich bottle of red wine and poured them a brimming single glass, to share. Taking a sip, he placed it on the bedside table.

"Pencils? I probably have some in my bag somewhere." He hadn't actively packed them, but he'd have been surprised if he hadn't had some somewhere. Going to his luggage, it took him only a minute to produce a set of sketching pencils. "What precisely did that plotting mind of yours hatch?"

"Now you see Wolfie... I may have not stayed in a place like this before but I've done my fair share of hotel hopping." Franchesca began with a turn, she stepped closer to one of the paintings and stood on her toes in order to take it off of the hook. "I'm not sure if the tradition runs among the rich and famous but if not, well... I guess we'll be the first."

She turned back to him with a grin and a bounce in her step as she sauntered past Wolfgang and towards the end of their bed. There she laid the painting face down, flat against the sheets. The back of the canvas was bare, as expected, and Franchesca pointed over to the one still remaining on the wall.

"Let's do a little some artwork, hmm?" Franchesca hummed, throwing the man a foxy little wink as she settled onto one side of their king sized bed. "It'll be our little secret."

He watched her as she pulled the painting down from the wall, causing his eyebrows to raise, but he still didn't understand what she was doing until she flipped the canvas upside down and motioned towards the backside.

"Ah-hah," He said with a chuckle. "I'm not sure if any kind of tradition like that, but I'm not opposed to it," he said, going to fetch another one of the paintings down from the wall and flipping it upside down on the bed before crawling up next to her on their bed.

"What to sketch though?"

"Maybe it was a Seattle thing." Franchesca shrugged. She had been doodling on the back of hotel paintings since she was fourteen and the originator of the idea was long lost to time.

"Honestly I didn't think that far but..." Franchesca chuckled softly, leaning against him as she did but straightening out all the same. She paused, her eyes looking up to the ceiling in a moment of thought.

"Opinions on caricatures, Wolfie?"

"Perhaps, or perhaps it's just a weird American thing. There are a lot of those, weird American things." His cheeky attitude was followed with a smirk as he reached over for the glass of wine.

"Caricatures?" He echoed after a sip. "Are those the funny drawings with the exaggerated features and little bodies?" He'd only seen them. He'd certainly never had one done of himself, nor had he attempted to draw one himself. It was outside the realm of his usually stoic and serious personality.

"I'll take you to Seattle one day. It's not as pretty as Italy or Germany but there's a lot of good work there, good artists." Franchesca mused in passing, a little sweetness tinting her smile at the thought. She motioned for the glass, taking a sip of her own before answering his question.

"That's what they are, yes, but are you up for it?"

He nearly reminded her that, no, she's never be taking him to Seattle. That there wouldn't be a someday for them, at least not in the foreseeable future. The romance that burned bright and hot between them would come to an end, almost as quickly as it had begun. Once she got done with her years as a resident artist, she'd be on to bigger and better things than Wolfgang Reiter.

"I'm not sure," he admitted, laughing, but a little more tiredly. "I suppose we'll see!"

"That's the right attitude darling... but come on now, what are you waiting for?" Franchesca hummed happily, nudging him before crawling on the bed so she could sit across from him. Tucking her bathrobe underneath her, Franchesca crossed both legs and grabbed a pencil. She lifted her canvas, the painted image of a peaceful lake facing Wolfgang as she began outlining large waves of hair on the back.

Her eyes watched him nearly curiously over the edge of the painting, her hands working away with the pencil in sharp, dark strokes.

"Hm," he snorted with amusement, shaking his head at her before taking a pencil himself and sliding the canvas on to his lap. He traced, for the second time, the peaceful outline of Franchesca's face, distorting her mouth to be outrageously large compared to the rest of her— to stay true to her personality.

"I've decided this type of art is not for me," he concluded part way through, but continued.

Franchesca loved it when Wolfgang smiled, when those dimples came to full form and though it was a expression known intimately to a few, it was what she decided to capture in her drawing. Along with overblown hair, she drew the familiar curve of his lip expanded, and darkened his dimples heavily to emphasize them.

Looking up from her sketch to flash a smile, her foot reached out and gave him a little kick. "Oil elitists need a break sometimes." She cooed playfully.

Franchesca was curious as to what feature of her face he'd play on but she resisted the urge to ask. Instead, she moved on to sketching his brow line.

"You know it occurs to me that neither of us got a chance to really speak with Dandelion before we decided to leave." Franchesca mused, throwing the thought out there and biting her lip down as she concentrated on creating an accurate quirk. "Do you think he'll question us tomorrow?"

"A break from oil elitism?" Wolfgang glanced up to her as his foot wiggled from her bumping it. "If I do that, I'll devolve quickly in to the likes of Deidre. No thank you." He smirked as he glanced down, making her hair all the more voluminous in his rendition of her.

He didn't pause at the mention of Dandelion, though he did shrug a bit. "Perhaps. He may sleep in and miss us. Who knows. He and Raya spend all morning enjoying each others company, or they may come down to the gallery for a bit to bother us. Who knows."

Upon drawing, he realized he adored a great number of Franchesca's features, but none more than the slope of her nose. Some might have found it a silly, trivial thing, but he found the smooth curve of the bridge to the button tip incredibly appealing, from an artist's perspective.

"I've decided it's unfair how attractive you are, even as a caricature."

Franchesca leaned back to examine her work, tilting her head as her eyes went over the open suit that she had drawn him in. It was made in likeness to the one that he had worn for dinner at Tregua--the one that she had helped him strip off. The thought brought warmth to her face.

Franchesca nodded at his words but only allowed herself brief glances of the man before her. She was focusing on her last little add on, a rather fluffy ball of cat named Woaf.

"Flattery will get you nowhere, my heart." She told him, a lightness in her tone and a focus in her eyes as she sketched out the good cat's tail. "At least until I'm done with this drawing. Afterwards flattery will net you all the kisses."

"Are you nearly finished by the way?"

"Aaah, to the contrary. Flattery has gotten me everywhere," he pointed out with a smirk, flicking his gaze up to her and nearly throwing his drawing aside and going to attack that beautiful mouth, and alluring lips.

Containing himself by sipping his wine, he completed his silly little sketch by adding a trailing train to the dress he'd drawn her in.

"Yes, I am," he agreed. He was just filling in details at this point. "Whenever you're ready."

Franchesca finished not long after him, scratching fuzziness into Woaf's little tail. Her eyes drew upwards, giving him a look that was between amused and suspicious but not saying anything outright. The young woman held her drawing to her chest and crawled back closer to him.

"I'll go first." She said before settling down comfortably beside the man. Franchesca let the painting fall so he could see her caricature. Though it was a more relaxed style, Franchesca's eye for detail remained right down to the polish of his shoe. True to the artist's intention, Wolfgang's hair and smile were the focal point.

Franchesca's grin grew wider and she leaned in and planted a quick kiss on his cheek. "And I've decided that the only thing cuter than this man right beside me is his cat."

"Alright, you go," he said, glancing over her shoulder and down at the caricature shown. There was no denying the image was him, and his cat, causing him to chuckle. "My, that's good work right there." His face brightened as she launched a kiss on to his cheek. He snapped his arm out and hooked her waist to return the kiss, though to her lips.

"Do you just like me for my cat?" He tease, shifting his canvas in his lap.

Turning over his own canvas, still clamping on her waist, he held it out to her. Her likeness was in his traditional smooth style, without a line out of place. His love for her smile, and her mouth, was loud and clear.

Not just for kissing, but for her bold, 'say what I think' attitude.

The warmth of his lips on hers remained long after he parted. It sent the flutters all throughout her even while he was in the middle of presenting his caricature. Excitedly, she looked over and paused, her grin growing as her eyes traced over a rather generous amount of lip.

Franchesca turned to him with squinted eyes. Now, she had full lips but she also knew just as he did about the meaning beyond that. "You cheeky little..." She began, nearly setting aside her sketch so she could just pounce on him.

"You're lucky that I'm attracted to your snark, Wolfgang Reiter." She teased. Franchesca leaned against him and brought her sketch right next to his. "It's a shame that we can't take these home but that's how these secret sketches go."

"I am awfully lucky, indeed," he laughed, throwing the canvas to the end of the bed, having already forgotten about it in favour of dragging her into his lap to kiss the back of her neck.

"It's no shame they're staying here, together," he explained, "here, we shall be forever. Or, at least, another few years together. If not in person, at least in fond memory."​

• Love
The smallest of squeaks left Franchesca as she was brought onto his lap and a warmth found her cheeks knowing that Wolfgang was the only man she'd ever allow to hear that. Franchesca's smile sweetened at the brush of his lips on his shoulder but it faded completely at his explanation.

She wasn't saddened or angry just suddenly taken by his words. Franchesca cast her sketch aside in a similar manner before she turned around on his lap so she could face him. Her hands found the sides of his face, her thumbs running along his cheeks like they were always meant to do.

She tilted her head once more. "That thought just might be enough to get me through this residency in Munich, you know."

Wolfgang smiled. His eyes were closed and he tilted the weight of his head into her hands as her thumb trailed over his jaw, leaving behind a shiver. The weight of her body straddling his lap felt so entirely correct that he wondered how he'd learn to live without it again.

His hands wound around to her back, resting against the plush bathrobe.

"Maybe at first." His eyes opened to half-mast, looking up to her. "But I think it'll be an exciting experience. Once you get there and get settled in, I'm sure you'll be so excited and busy, you'll hardly think of me."

It wasn't an attempt to garner pity, but to bring comfort. "Plus... someday, our paths will cross again. They'll have to, if you stay in art. We'll both be very different people then, but this isn't goodbye forever... just... a while."

"Mm. I think you are vastly underestimating how much time I currently think about you." Franchesca murmured, smiling quietly as she rested her forehead against his. There in his arms, she felt peace. It was a sad thought to think that she wouldn't have this within then next year.

It was an odd feeling she felt when she thought about Munich. In many ways it was the future she always wanted, a step towards success even more solid than graduating from a school by the likes of Lorenzo, but with Wolfgang in her life priorities shifted. Wants changed.

Listening to him speak one thumb remained brushing against his jaw while the other hand searched for the nape of his neck. Franchesca buried her fingers into the tousles of silver, massaging the spot still damp from their shower.

"Awhile has never sounded more terrible, Wolfgang." She frowned, the admittance bringing her eyes to a close and her body a little more pressed to his. Franchesca sighed knowing that she'd even miss the hint of red wine on his breath.

She'd be lost without him but Franchesca bit back the thought. She need not make it worse for the both of them.

As she curled into him, Wolfgang brought his arms around her slender form and held her close. He'd always believed in love; he believed he'd loved in the past, with Emma, others. Soul mates was an idea he'd never understood until Franchesca.

It felt like such a silly, childish idea... soul mates. He'd laughed at it for all his years on the planet, but with her, it was like he'd known her for eternity, like he'd been born, forged, to love her.

And love her, he did.

His thumb gently stroked the small of her back. It was hard to remember at times that she was barely in her twenties.

"I wish I had something I could say that would make it better. You just have to trust fate a little bit, sometimes. No matter how much time and space separates us, I'll always care for you."

Franchesca lifted her head from Wolfgang's but only so she could place it atop of his shoulder. Her arms drifted downwards and wrapped him in a hug that God himself would have had to intervene to bring them apart. She didn't say anything, not right away, and her face contorted in an effort to stop tears.

"And I, you." She finally whispered, repeating herself as she squeezed him a little tighter.

"And I, you."

The desperation in her clinging made him wonder if he'd done the right thing. Back to their argument in his office, should he have walked out? Severed any sort of relationship that was anything but professional?

It would have been easier, certainly.

Easier, but the difficult was worth the suffering, he ultimately decided. He'd rather have had her for a day, and lost her for a lifetime, than to have never had her at all.

Wolfgang lifted his head and nuzzled his nose against her hair. The painted strokes of his hand grew bigger, encompassing her entire back.

"All will be well in the end. I promise."

Like Franchesca had when they first returned to the suite, she could only give Wolfgang a quieted nod. He was right, as always, and though it seemed impossible now while wrapped up in his arms, Franchesca would be fine come Munich. She'd be more than fine even--it was the opportunity of the lifetime.

It's a shame that it's sole drawback was one that would break both of their hearts.

For awhile she seemed content to rest there, her eyes fluttering to a close and Wolfgang's hand soothing her with its rhythm on her back. She wasn't sure how long it had been when Franchesca pulled away slowly only to lean back in and press a kiss to his lip that strained with the emotion she was feeling.

It was slow, sensual, and immeasurably desperate. She needed to feel his lips on hers while they still could, her hands found his chest, spreading the softness of his bathrobe so she could feel his skin as well.

Wolfgang would have stayed there with her forever, if that's what she needed, and wanted. When she was strong enough to lurch back just enough to press a kiss to his lips, his grip on her loosened, but never entirely went away.

He laid her back gently against the bed, hovering over her by resting on his elbows on either side of the mattress. "We should get some sleep," he said, kissing her cheek, her neck, the tip of her nose. "To be in good shape for painting tomorrow."

Franchesca flourished underneath the trail of kisses he left on her. It gave her all the more reason to disobey, to bring herself up and to pull him down so they could meet in the middle. Franchesca gave Wolfgang a soft pout but she nodded all the same.

He had already given her a fair amount but Franchesca was not sated. "Fine. But you have to give me a good goodnight kiss to convince me fully, Wolfie."

"A proper goodnight kiss?" he chuckled at her as she arched up, allowing him to hook one hand below her, fingers spread out across her lower back. "Very well."

Leaning down, he ended the silly peppering of pecks with a kiss to her lips-- as honest, and as truthful as a kiss could be. His arm drew her body closer and while sensual, was not sexually-charged. It was a kiss meant for the sheer joy of kissing a person he loved, and nothing more.​

• Love
The pleasantness of being awoken to sunlight, and not to the deafening blare of an alarm clock, did wonders and his calmness. The curtains were thick but left partially opened, allowing a single beam of light to trickle in and pan out across the room. The warm ball of light filtered through his thin eyelids, awaking him on the second day of their vacation. Rays of brightness cast squares onto the glossy floor, reflecting onto several objects in the room which decorated its otherwise simplicity. He blinked a few times, adjusting his eyes right on the defenseless figure still sleeping next to him.

In no way ready to move from underneath the warm cocoon of blankets and body heat, Wolfgang sighed happily and nuzzled his nose against the back of Franchesca's hair. Having parted at some point in the night, he nestled himself back up against her, placing a few sleepy kisses against her bare shoulder.

Several minutes… perhaps hours, he couldn't tell, passed by and he drifted in and out of sleep. Never were the transitions stark. They were fuzzy, mingling between his dreams and the rumble of traffic outside the window. It wasn't until the clock turned over to seven-thirty did he rouse more entirely.

"Ches," he whispered, his voice deeper than usual and thick with sleep. "We should get up soon." A kiss found its way on to the shell of her ear, and another right below her lobe. "If we still want to get some painting in before we leave today, anyways."

In a few short hours, they'd return to Italy, to the school, to the daily routine. No longer would they be Mr and Mrs Reiter, but professor and student. They wouldn't be allowed to hold hands or share kisses whenever they felt like it, and that added terrible injury to his already fracturing heart.

It seemed that Franchesca did not dream when she was with Wolfgang. Any other night her brain struggled to stop entirely and she was left with blurry replays of the day's events or situations of love that never truly belonged to her. With Wolfgang, there was nothing. Sweet, blissful, nothing. Just badly needed rest. That's why it took him a decent amount of effort to stir her.

She woke only to his kisses and that baritone filling her entire world. Franchesca would have shuddered at the sensation had she not been half awake. The young woman groaned, and slowly turned on her side to face him. She did so with her eyes closed, her dark hair a mess atop of her head, and as Franchesca settled she made it very apparent she had no intention to move anytime soon.

Franchesca buried her head into his neck and her leg ran up the length of his as she pulled him closer. She spoke to him in the same pouty mumble as always.

"Mm. Five more minutes." Franchesca told him, too asleep to have quoted herself from the night prior on purpose. She nestled up against her love, her hand finding his among the nest of blankets, pillows and body parts.

Even if Wolfgang did want to move, he wouldn't have been able to. As Franchesca turned to him, she wound her leg around his and nuzzled in close to his embrace, effectively trapping him next to him. He never would have left had the universe allowed him. It never would allow an eternity, but five more minutes wouldn't be the worst thing.

"Five more," he agreed, kissing whatever space of her temple he could reach. "Then we get up."

For the next ten minutes, Wolfgang continued his previous drifting. The carousel of thoughts swirled around a few times, and when he opened his eyes next to glance at the clock, a half hour had somehow managed to pass them by.

"My heart," he murmured, kissing the side of her face. "It's time to get up now."

"Then we get up." She mumbled in suit. It did not take long for Franchesca to fall back asleep and fill the dreamy atmosphere with her quieted snore. This time around, she fell asleep wrapped up even more in his warmth and musk than she had done last.

By the time she was stirred again it was still too soon. Begrudgingly, she listened this time around, and slowly parted herself from Wolfgang. She sat up, stretching and letting out a grand yawn before stripping herself of her robe and meandering over to the bathroom. She stumbled slightly doing so, steadying herself on the counter before running the faucet.

"Can we cheat another hour together by just ordering breakfast in bed?"' Franchesca called out before cupping her hands and splashing her face in hopes of speeding the entire waking up process. Despite her attempts to slow their progress, Franchesca was looking forward to painting at the gallery, but it was moreso at the thought of painting with Wolfgang rather than proving herself worthy of the Munich project.

Wolfgang chuckled, sitting on the edge of the bed as she got up and resting there just a moment before going to sort through his luggage with a tired sigh. He found a pair of nice trousers and a button up, slipping in to both of them with a slowness in his movement.

Physically, emotionally, he was worn down. There were slight shadows below his eyes and his smile seemed a little less bright. "You want to order room service?" He inquired, going to stand in front of the full length mirror to tame the locks of silver hair. "We can do that. I do need to eat something though. McDonald's was not as satisfying as I would have hoped."

In a few hours, they'd be back on a plane, and that caused his smile to wisp away from his face as quick as rain and scorched, summer earth.

Franchesca returned to the hotel room with a lazy little smile. She looked a little fresher than she had when she left, but the weariness was still pretty evident as she yawned. She looked around for the menu, finding a small little booklet on the desk and bringing it over to Wolfgang.

"Order for me?" Franchesca said. Her tone was that of a question but the way she left it by his side to go dig through her suitcase implied otherwise. The young woman opted for something a little semi-formal, a pretty blouse and comfortable black slacks over her heeled boots. Once she was dressed though she plopped right back down onto the bed.

"Long day ahead of us, no?" Franchesca sighed. She spoke with a hint of dejection, but only because the very last thing on their list of agendas.

Franchesca delivered the menu and Wolfgang fingered through it. They were all fairly typical American style breakfast items, spelled out in both German and English, but it was his duty to order for them both. Going to the room phone, he placed their order, going for a conservative mushroom and spinach omelette and a French toast bun for her to chose between, depending on her interest in salty or sweet.

When she returned, the menu was already tossed back on the side table and Wolfgang was sprawled out over the bed— dressed, but barefoot.

"Yes," he agreed. "Very long."

"I don't want to go back. I know we have to and we will but I'm just going to say it out loud for my sake." Franchesca muttered playfully. Knowing full and well it was a bad idea, she let her eyes close with a breath. A few seconds passed and she laughed. "I also just remembered that I have a paper due for Diedre that I haven't even thought about so there's that too."

Wolfgang could only muffle his answer in response. He didn't want to go home either, but if he said it out loud, he knew he'd have trouble convincing himself to step foot on that plane. It was the plane that would take him back to his everyday existence, to a fate he feared more than anything else in the world.

"Homework, papers... they should hardly be important to you anymore," he remarked, sitting up just enough to cock his weight into an elbow. "You might as well just spend the six months enjoying the Italian countryside."

"Well, shit." Franchesca said, her eyes flying right back open at the thought. Her lips pursed together into a thoughtful pout. She knew Lorenzo would no longer be her endgame when she came to terms with accepting the Munich offer, but the thought of trying less than what she was never occured to her.

"You're right but I still want my classes with Professor Wolfgang Reiter so I'm going to have to keep up in at least a few of my subjects." She mused. "I'm sure as hell never stepping into a Poppin's class now though."

Franchesca did not mention it but the thought had occurred to her. More time outside of the campus also meant more time helping Thom.

Wolfgang chuckled. "Why?" he asked, still sitting up on his elbow, though his head fell back and his eyes were closed. "I'm not a very good teacher at all. I don't have a passion for teaching the masses like I hoped I might. Most of my students don't inspire me. Truthfully, I'd quit, if I had something better to do with my time."

He'd been the artist for a while, and that'd been fine, but didn't occupy him enough. Once he was making good money and didn't need to paint every minute of every day, he found himself bored. Hence attempting to teach, which he found immeasurable contempt for. There were gems, those talented like Franchesca, but he didn't appreciate Lorenzo like he hoped he would have.

But that begged the question: where should he go? And for what? At least at the school some people have gathered with whom he had something to talk about. People who didn't break off their conversations as he approached. People who, though they may not like him, say it to his face.

"Have you considered dropping out?"

Franchesca remained with her back against the bed, hands spread out to the sides, but her eyes fluttered upwards at his questions. Her view of him was skewed, but she appreciated the silver tousled all the same, hence the pleasantness to her hum of thought.

"I enjoy it when you teach. It'd be a shame if you were to quit, but I'm lucky enough to have you on call if I ever want a lesson in composition. Plus, you play the sexy disinterred professor role well."

Franchesca laughed, shaking the bed slightly with her mirth. "As for dropping out... well, I'm considering it now of course. Maybe after the whole competition. Wouldn't hurt to have a magazine feature along with the residency after all."

"That's a good point." He'd forgotten all about the competition in the whirlwind of their romance and getaway. "In order to enter though, you need to be in good academic standing, so no skipping Poppins' class."

He sat back on his elbow and rolled his neck backwards so he was looking towards her, but upside down, with a small smirk. "I'll quit eventually, by the by. I don't know what life holds next, or where I'll go, but I don't think teaching is my last chapter." Alas, the problem was that he wasn't sure what was. "Soon, you'll have access to many greats to give you private lessons in composition."

Rolling to his stomach, Wolfgang perched over top of her, his lips gliding the length of her collarbone. "Perhaps they won't be quite as dashing and handsome as myself, though."

"Mm. I'm sure that I'll find no one more dashing or handsome than you, Wolfgang Reiter. Professor or otherwise." Franchesca crooned with a smile, her voice low and throaty as she pushed herself up to a sit so she could kiss him proper. One hand fell where his lips brushed against bone while the other found the back of his neck. It was a sweet kiss to start the morning and when Franchesca pulled away it was with a quieted breath.

Her expression turned somber and Franchesca paused.

"Promise me whatever your last chapter is you'll leave a blank space for me to write my name?"

It was sudden, jarring and unanswered as a knock on the door alerted the both of them. A hotel worker from the other side announced the arrival of their little breakfast in bed and Franchesca smiled once more as she motioned for the door.

"Get that for us?"

Wolfgang didn't know what the future held for either of them, though him, especially. Growing up, he always knew who he was going to be, what he wanted to do. For the first time, he felt lost and purposeless... he felt like he was lacking a direction, and that his life held immense meaning, but he couldn't figure out how, or why.

Her words hurt perhaps more than they should have, for he knew all the chapters would leave room for her, but she had so much life left to live and experience without him. He knew they'd meet again someday, there was no arguing it, but who they'd meet each other as would be a mystery.

The knock at the door roused him from his thoughts and he kissed her cheek one last time before going to rise. "Of course," he agreed and went to pull in their breakfast cart. "Breakfast is served."

As Wolfgang rose to the answer the call of their breakfast, Franchesca rose to move towards a radio neither of them had yet to entertain. It laid on one of the side tables, off to the side and she bugged with it even as her love returned with a cart with their food. She didn't say anything to him until the static turned to some soft rock station. It was in German but the riffs and beat were all the same. Franchesca looked back at him with that playful look in her eyes, swaying alongside the music as she approached him.

Ignoring breakfast for now, Franchesca took his hand and seemed to beckon him to move alongside her.

"What is all of this, Hm?" He asked, surprised to see that Franchesca had strewn aside the thought of breakfast for something of a two step instead. She beckoned him with her hand and Wolfgang was glad to reach out and take it.

"Didn't get enough dancing yesterday, did you?" He mused. He'd never appreciated dancing as he never understood the purpose of it until he had the immense pleasure of watching the woman he loved sway to each beat. Her body burning into shapes and forms too beautiful for words to describe.

Franchesca only ever giggled in front of Wolfgang. Only when his brows furrowed and the corner of his lips questioned her with a smile. It was joy, bliss even, and together they moved to the sound of music.

"This is me, making the most out of my last morning as Mrs. Reiter while I still can." She went into explain, Franchesca only continuing when she found her back pressed against him, when Wolfgang's arms wrapped around her midsection and her face was buried happily into the side of his neck. She slowed down to tiptoe and whisper into his ear.

"Kann ich einen Kuss haben?"

Wolfgang obliged her just to hear that silly giggle again— a noise he could have listened to for everyday for the rest of his life, happily, and never grow tired of hearing it. As he wound his arm around her and they began to move awkwardly in tandem, Wolfgang could only echo her laugh was a chuckle of his own.

"Well, I suppose we'll have to enjoy this moment," he agreed, still happy to be moving with her, pulling her closer as she nuzzled into him.

His awkward swaying paused when he heard a familiar phrase. Without pause, one of his hands hooked a finger below her chin and he raised her head to press a kiss, unapologetically, straight to her lips.

Franchesca's eyes remained closed for a little while after they parted, his warmth mixing with hers in a way that made it oh so hard to bring herself away. She patted his cheek lightly, tilting her head up to look at him proper.

"Thank you my heart. Let's eat now, before all our food gets cold?"​

• Love
"Let's," he agreed, letting the music drone on in the background as he stepped towards the cart. "I have an omelet, or a french toast style bun. Preferences?" He pulled away the silver domes to each, revealing two tantalizing--but different--breakfast options.

"Or did I just do so horribly on the breakfast ordering that you don't want either?"

Franchesca's sweet tooth always took prevalence when it came to food. Chuckling at his comment, she moved over and reached for the bun with little regard to utensils. She'd wash her hands later, but for now Franchesca simply wanted to indulge in the sweetness of the food and the man eating beside her. After a bite or two, Franchesca picked up the plate and settled on the end of the bed, looking up to Wolfgang as she chewed on the warm, sugary dough.

"You did wonderful." Franchesca noted, licking the corner of her lips. "What time is the flight out, by the way?"

Allowing her the sweet option, and suspecting as much that was her choice, he took the omelet into his lap and sat on the edge of the bed. He ate slowly, with enjoyment for the sweet moment they were sharing. There was nothing quite as boring as sharing a breakfast together, but it was an honest moment. One he wished they could have had a million more of.

"Mmm, seven-thirty local time, I believe," he replied in-between bites of egg, spinach, and mushroom goodness, all scooped up together with coins of potato. "We'll be home by about ten tonight, if I remember correctly."

"Yeah that should give me enough time to write that paper I mentioned." Franchesca thought aloud, licking her fingers as the last of her French toast came down with a big swallow. She stood up and moved back over to the cart to pour herself a glass of orange juice. She enjoyed speaking causally with Wolfgang, as much as she enjoyed kissing him really.

"What would you like to drink, darling? Coffee? Milk?" Franchesca asked him over the rim of her own glass, motioning to the silver pitchers waiting for him on the tray.

"That'll give you enough time?" he chuckled. "You children and your eternal energy. I much prefer my usual bedtime." Wolfgang was the embodiment of the early to bed, early to rise mantra. He'd always been that way, even from a boy. About halfway through his meal, he paused to eye the beverage options.

"Coffee sounds great, actually." He needed the pick-me-up if he was going to be running around the gallery again, and having to deal with Emma, as he was certain he was going to have to. Not only Emma, but also Franchesca accepting her offer. He hated to admit it, as she was so excited to go painting at the oak, but he dreaded it.

Franchesca snorted with amusment at his comment, mentioning in passing that Wolfgang had been the one to remind her to keep her grades up while she reached for one of the pitchers. She poured the water into a mug, steam rising as she took a packet of freshly ground coffee and tore it opened. Franchesca swirled the contents together, sighing knowing that their little getaway was rapidly coming to an end.

"How do you take your coffee, Wolfie?"

"Black is fine, thank you," he answered, managing to put away the rest of his breakfast before the coffee managed to entirely dissolve into the hot water. Throwing his plate on to the cart, he stood and stepped towards Franchesca. He hooped his arm around her middle, kissing her cheek as he reached around for his coffee.

As he sipped the hot beverage, he didn't remove his arm from around her waist. "How's your breakfast? It almost looks as sweet as you do right now. Almost."

"Flatterer." Franchesca teased. She didn't give him an answer, at least not directly, instead opting to give him a little taste with her lips. She turned to him in the middle of their suite, giving him sugar while he gave her black coffee. The young woman swayed a little in his arms, shifting so she could kiss him front on. When she pulled away it was not for long, Franchesca quick to pepper him with smaller, lighter smooches.

Wolfgang held out his coffee mug just enough that he wouldn't spill on her, but invested the rest of his body into loving Franchesca. His other arm tightened around her waist, his lips stealing kisses whenever she offered. She swayed, and he felt every motion of her body against his with a delightful tingle.

"It works every time," he pointed out. "Hmm, but as much as I would love to stay here with you all day and waste away in hotels and sunshine, should we pack up for the gallery?"

Franchesca hung on him happily, though the mentioning of a gallery did put a little bit of a damper on that mood. It was crazy to think how something as incredible as painting live in such a gallery felt absolutely inferior to just living with the man before her.

"You're right, you're right." Franchesca motioned, sighing but smiling all the same as she pulled away from him and the breakfast cart and moved over to her bags. Franchesca packed some painting materials for the trip, taking out brushes but pausing when it came to the oils. "Dumb question but... they'll have paint there for us. Right?"

"Mhm, I am," he mused, putting back his coffee and swallowing down the last of the mug's contents, before letting the mug join his plate on the cart. He brushed off his hands and moved to throw the last few things in his luggage, checking around the room to ensure they both had everything.

"Hm? No, probably not. We should probably bring our own. I'm sure I have some somewhere, if you didn't pack any." Wolfgang never went anywhere without at least a little bit of painting supplies.

Franchesca nodded and simply threw her brushes right back with the oils. She zipped it up and stood up, lifting her bag with a hand. "I've got the essentials. I'm sure I'll be fine. Are you ready to go, darling?"

Wolfgang found his little art bag, keeping it separate from the rest of his luggage and slinging it across his shoulders. "I suppose I may even let you borrow mine, if you're really desperate," he said with a small wink. "I am ready to go, yes. Ready? We may have to get a taxi though. I'm not sure we'll have a towncar today."

Franchesca did one last sweep, making sure that she had everything she needed on her and everything else tucked away nearly for later when they would be leaving. Once she was certain, Franchesca returned to Wolfgang's side by the door, slipping her free arm through his and nudging him lightly.

"Lead the way, Wolfie." Franchesca grinned. "And tell me how to hail a cab in Germany."

Their arms linked, Wolfgang led the way down into the hotel's main lobby and out the door. Sunday was a lazy, quiet day in the city. Earlier in the morning the blue that stretched into the horizon had only been broken by transitory wisps of white. Now it was threaded across the sky in thicker bands. They were still white without hardly a trace of grey, dispelling any worries of rain.

Hailing a taxi, Wolfgang pulled open the door for Franchesca and let her inside before following, and giving the name of the museum to the driver. In less than ten minutes, they were pulling up around the familiar roundabout drive in front of the gallery.

Quickly exchanging Euros with the driver, Wolfgang stepped out, and looking up at the large stone building.

The last time Franchesca had stepped out of a car and out to the courtyard in front of the gallery she had spent the entire day getting ready. Last night her hair had been formed and perfected, her skin made flawless, her dress hiding the lingerie she only wore for Wolfgang.

Now she seemed plain compared to that look but Franchesca was comforted knowing that how she looked right now was how she would look working in Munich. The young woman stepped out with a breath, smiling momentarily in Wolfgang's direction before making the walk with him inside.

They were greeted by no one in the main hall and Franchesca paused. "Should we head to the oak right away or try and notify someone that we've arrived?"

"Hm, let's just go," he said, deciding he wanted to avoid Emma, if possible. They'd sought permission and that was all they needed to do. If he could go all day without seeing her, the better. He figured anyone who wanted to find them, would.

Taking Franchesca's hand, he led her along through the museum and out the back doors, towards the maze. "Do you remember the way?"

Franchesca respected his decision though she could not know Wolfgang's reasoning behind it. She nodded, her eyes flickering about to all the artworks that they passed by on the way to the pavilion. The yard had clearly been slaved over. Just looking at it there was no telling that a grand ball had just taken place the night prior.

Regardless they came to the maze and Franchesca made an expression of thought as they entered. "All I remember is we took a right first. I think."

"Or was it a left? Shit."

Before long, they were lost. He chuckled, none of it looking any bit familiar. They were taking turns at random again, though were not half as lucky as they had been the night before. A task that took them ten, maybe fifteen, minutes took them nearly a half hour.

When they arrived, Wolfgang was pleased that it was empty of people. Finally, his shoulders could relax again. He dumped his bag on to one of the cement benches and looked to Franchesca with a smile.

"Ah, here we are."

Franchesca did not mind getting a little lost in the maze with her lover. It was a lot more pleasant if anything, being able to see everything in daylight and to traverse it all in a lot more comfortable shoes. They found the oak eventually and Franchesca took in the sight of it once more, her eyes starting at the flourishing greenery before trailing down the trunk to where Wolfgang sat his bag down near the base. He was adorable and she loved him and every time Franchesca admitted that to herself it only made her sadder.

The young woman smiled calmly as she moved towards the flowers, her eyes scanning for some flat ground they could possibly sit down on. She turned to Wolfgang with the look on her eyes quite telling of what she was planning.

"You aren't allergic to pollen or anything right, my dear?"​

• Love
"I'm not, no," he said as she asked about the pollen, understanding where she was getting at. He didn't bring proper canvases with him-- rather, he had only a few paint books. The paper would stand-up to the oils, but it wasn't anything special. Alas, he had no intentions of painting his next great piece of art in some maze garden with only a small swatch of slightly-old paints.

He was there to enjoy himself, and that was the only goal he had left on his mind. Humming softly, he collected his things and moved to sit down in the grass that, while recently mowed, was dotted with bright yellow dandelions bobbing in the breeze.

"So, what is going to be your grand masterpiece today, which will impress our mutual friend, hm?"

Franchesca watched him move before joining him in the field. She sat with her legs crossed, slumping over as she set out what oils she brought neatly in front of them. She tied her hair up as she always did, the painter humming in thought at his question.

"Would it be foolish to just wing it? I'm not feeling anything in particular to be honest." Franchesca grinned, her hand extending out and waving towards the one of his books. "May I?"

"Nothing wrong with that," he clarified, deciding he was probably going to have to wing it himself, as his brain was mostly mute at the given moment. Nodding when she gestured to one of his books, he pulled another into his lap and flipped through until he found a clean page.

Without a palette, he jeweled a small amount of paint straight into the grass, dipping his brushes from there. At first, the random strokes meant nothing, but through them, an image began to come together in his head.

Franchesca took the book in her hands and propped it against her knees while she began her illustration. As always, Franchesca started off in pencil, scribbling light and jagged lines until an image came to form. She quickly realized she was drawing their lighthouse and it didn't take long for her to cast aside the pencil in favor of a brush.

The only time she ever really took her eyes off of Wolfgang was when she painted. Her focus was as true as it was intense, Franchesca only ever looking up to get more paint from the grass. She acknowledged his makeshift method with a quieted giggle, but that was all that was uttered between beginning and ending her painting.

The illustration captured the lighthouse from her view walking up the hill with Wolfgang to reach it.

Wolfgang was content just to be near her. They didn't look at each other, or touch each other, but he could feel her close by. The sound of her breathing and the occasional rustle of grass was an orchestra playing the most beautiful music.

When he'd gotten a good way through his painting, he sat back and looked at it for a second. He hadn't painting anything from his memory, but it showed two horses touching nose to nose, one a dapple grey and the other a rich, oak bay.

"How's it going over there?" He asked, picking up his brush again and cleaning excess black paint on to the grass before dabbling in the green.

Franchesca snapped out of her focused trance to answer him, blinking in the direction of his voice before peering down to the image coming to life in her lap. There was still a lot to do, detailing on the brick, the flock of birds she remembered flying in the distance... but it looked good and she felt proud to have not only been in that moment but to recapture it.

"I'm sure you'll like it." Franchesca began, holding the book out and tilting her head as she examined it a little more finely. There was some small errors here and there, she could admit. "I think our friends will too."

"If they don't we can just drive them back to our suite and I'll show them the amazing caricature I did of you last night to seal the deal."

She didn't keep her picture secret from him, like she often did, and he leaned over to take it in. The portrait of the lighthouse was an exceptional piece of their collective memory, and he smiled at it without pause.

"They'll love it, I'm certain."

"Love what?" A woman's voice called out from behind them, followed by the swishing of grass below heels. Emma smiled, shielding her eyes from the sunlight above with a hand as she approached. "I'm disappointed you didn't come find me when you arrived, Wolfgang. No matter, how is it going out here?"

The enormous diamond on her wedding hand lit up like a lightbulb in the sun.

Franchesca thought they must have looked a little funny with their legs crossed in the middle of a flower field, paint strewn about the grass and the books they held in their hands. They must have seemed so incredibly into each other and the best part about it was that they were.

"Good morning. We're sorry for going straight ahead. Wolfie and I both just wanted to get painting right away." Franchesca greeted, setting aside her painting carefully so she could stand and offer the other woman a handshake.

It occurred to her that in all the rush of last night they hadn't gotten around to talking about Emma.

"It is no problem," she clarified with a lame smile that never faltered as she sauntered over to peer over their shoulders and look at the work they were performing.

"Horses?" She mused, before looking to Franchesca's piece, pausing a moment as her eyes wandered to Franchesca.

"I'm sorry dear, have we met? I was so terribly busy last night, I forget who I have and have not interacted with."

"This is Franchesca," Wolfgang said, putting his painting down on the grass. "And Franchesca, this is Emma. I believe you met briefly yesterday."

ranchesca wasn't sure if Emma was intentionally trying to get on her nerves, but the other woman was getting there. Franchesca figured she did look rather different all done up and in a mask compared to how she looked this morning.

"We did. Briefly." Franchesca echoed though not nearly as pleasant as she sounded when she first stood to greet the woman. "Between all the festivities and masks though, I'm not surprised it slipped through the cracks."

"I'm his apprentice. Dandelion likes to call me Mrs. Reiter."

"Ah-hah, so you're the one they've all been talking about then, are you?" Her eyes skirted to Franchesca's ring finger, noting it to be bare. "You must forgive me. It's my job to make sure events go smoothly at the gallery, so I whisk around like a chicken with my head cut off."

Wolfgang felt painfully uncomfortable between the two women, but he smiled anyways and remained where he was sitting. "Thank you for letting us come paint today, by the way."

"Of course. I couldn't think to argue. Will you be staying some time?"

"That's me. The man, the myth, the legend." Franchesca mused lightly, sitting back down as Wolfgang spoke and watching the interaction perhaps a little too intently. The tenseness behind his shoulders did not escape her eye but Franchesca decided she would wait till the plane ride to ask him about it.

Speaking of which, Franchesca was the one to answer the woman's question, nodding as she spoke up. "For sometime, yes, if that isn't a problem. Wolfgang and I won't be returning to Italy until later tonight."

"Mmm, shame you're leaving so early," she concluded. "Well, I better get back to work, but I'll be sure to send out some lunch for you.

She didn't wait for a goodbye, though Wolfgang said one to her as she turned to leave, marching to return the direction she'd come with a direct purpose in her stride.

Clearing his throat, he turned back to his painting, though felt decidedly less inspired than before. Not one to let that bother him, he dabbed some paint again and continued filling in the colours.

Franchesca watched the woman leave with traces of confusion in her own expression. She wasn't sure if Emma simply wasn't the kind of woman to beat around the bush or if somehow, someway Franchesca had soured herself to her. She figured it was a bit of both, honestly, but the only person who could really know sat beside her.

Franchesca promised to wait until the plane but she couldn't help herself.

"Is she like that with everyone?" She asked, pausing and waiting for Wolfgang to look up at her before continuing. "Or is there something that I'm missing here."

"Emma is... she's not..." Wolfgang paused with a frown to gather his thoughts for just a moment before going to answer. "It doesn't have anything to do with you. I told you I was engaged once, right? And that the woman left me for someone else? That woman was Emma."

Maybe it would have been better to lie. He could have easily convinced Franchesca that she was just that type of person: brisk and condescending. Their relationship was doomed to an end anyways, but it didn't sit right with him, the idea of lying to her.

"Oh." Franchesca said with a frown of her own. Suddenly the interactions she had with the woman were flooded with a sense of clarity, suddenly she understood the hint of friction she could not help but feel. Franchesca dipped back down and picked up her brush and book, returning her focus to that detailing she mentioned while her mind try to figure out what was appropriate to say.

Franchesca could not say it was a shame because in a way that heartbreak had led her to him. But she also could not demean the woman because there was no doubt care for her, if he had gone so far as to propose.

"I hope I didn't give the wrong impression... saying all the things about being Mrs. Reiter the way that I had." Franchesca admitted eventually, sighing. "Shit."

Wolfgang chuckled. It was a hesitant sound at first, but honest. He smiled, swirling his paintbrush in the grey paint blob on the grass. "Who cares if you made the wrong impression?"

Wolfgang had made himself a fool in love twice. Once, in youthful ignorance, then again in adult maturity, but after both, he realized it was unlikely there would ever be a true Mrs Reiter. A third heartbreak wasn't worth risking and, after Franchesca, he was uncertain he'd ever be able to love so entirely again.

"I was not nearly as good to her as I should have been, as I could have been, and she left because of it. You may be leaving too, but I'm going to be certain it's not because of me."

There was a still a long road between her and Munich but with every mentioning of leaving, she wished it was just a little bit longer. It was a foolish thing to think, Franchesca knew that and she was certain Wolfgang would agree. It seemed her future would not wait for the both of them and that was equal part exhilarating and heartbreaking.

Franchesca wondered just how much she would think back to this moment--lying in a grassy field surrounded by color with him.

"If anything, this time around you make it hard to leave." Franchesca sighed before smiling and chuckling quietly at the irony of their situation. The young woman set aside her painting again, content to let it dry as she scooted a little closer to him. "What was that about horses by the way?"

"Oh." Franchesca went on to say, settling down to watch his strokes fill in the landscape of the background, while in reality just using that as an excuse to lean against him once more.

"What about them?" he asked as she leaned against his shoulder and looked down at his work. As she did, he pressed a kiss to the crown of her head. "I normally do portraits. I don't often do animal portraits, but I like horses." Though it had only been his fifth or sixth attempt at painting them.

With her nuzzled against him, he strokes became lackadaisical, more lazy than anything.

"They're cute." Franchesca grinned, suddenly a lot less interested in painting and much more invested in watching him. She wasn't observing to try and learn, to take some kind of technique from Wolfgang, she was simply enjoying him and the relaxed nature of his strokes.

"Cute?" This made him laugh a little more readily. "What was that word you taught me? Cutesy? Why are these cute, not cutesy?" His elbow gave her a playful nudge, and he dumped his painting face up into the grass to dry before turning and landing a kiss on to her cheek, her temple.

His finger curled below her chin, coaxing her to turn her head towards him so he could place one last kiss against her lips. "You're cute."

Franchesca squirmed happily at the interaction, at the tickle of his elbow and the sweetness of his little kisses. His fingers found her chin and she could not help but be led by them, she turned to him in the middle of the field and once again nothing else mattered. Not their wet paintings, not Munich, just Wolfgang Reiter.

Though she was drawn, Franchesca did not kiss him. Instead her lips curved into a playful little thing and she spoke. "Just cute?"

"Is this an instance I should say cutesy?" He shot back with all the same heat in his tone as her. His eyes were slit open, barely enough to see the blurry image of her perfect smirk, the edges of her lips, and the flash of white teeth beneath.

"Not just cute, but the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on," he whispered, dropping his voice in an effort to draw her closer.

"You always say the sweetest things, my heart." Franchesca admitted with the throaty sort of mumble she reserved solely for him. The young woman moved across what little grass remained between her and Wolfgang, teasing a kiss with the way she came close but never close enough to fall into his lips completely.

"I don't just say them," he paused to clarify, "I mean them, too." And he did. Every word he spoke to her was never done with the intention of flattery. Rather, he said when he felt, and what he felt was an endless pool of love for the woman hovering so close, yet so far. Every time she got close and he could feel her breathe steal against his cheeks, he thought of how it would be to lose her.

Loss was the side of loving they never told him about as a kid... that should he lose a lover, his heart was buried with them. His chest thudded with an immense weight at the thought.

A rustle in the grass caused him to pull his head back to glance over, though he didn't move his hands from around her waist.

Though Franchesca was young, she was certain that in the years to come there would be no other person like Wolfgang. No other person who could make her feel the things that he did and in the depth that she felt them. He was her soulmate, of that too she was certain, but to admit out loud now would only make their eventual parting all the more tragic.

She didn't want to leave him, but she had to. It was a tortorous affair and one that Franchesca was certain would haunt her the moment she was alone.

But for now, Franchesca had to remind herself that she would live in the moment with him. That was why in the seconds following the turn of Wolfgang's head, Franchesca found his chin like he had done to her and brought him right back into a kiss.

It was sweet, slow, and when it came to an end it was with a breath. It was only after that did Franchesca look over his shoulder at the individuals who were too close now to ignore.

"Dandelion!" Franchesca called out in greeting.

Wolfgang didn't get a chance to see who was approaching, for as he turned his head, she hooked her finger below his chin and dragged him into that long-awaited kiss. It proved to be just as scrumptious and divine as he had anticipated it to be, perhaps even more so. With a murmur of approval, his arm hooking further around her waist to tug her closer, Wolfgang didn't mind when the group encroached on their little moment.

His forehead fell against her shoulder a she peered over his, greeting his old mentor.

Dandelion strode over with purpose. His bright orange scarf fluttered out behind him like a banner. "Wolf! Franchesca! Emma told me you'd be out here. Ronald and Colleen are both here, but they got stopped up with her. I'm sure they'll join us shortly. My, how romantic..." Without invitation, Dandelion joined them in the grass.

"Now, are you so sure about declining that threesome?"

Franchesca was glad for a little more time before Coleen and Roland arrived, they were nice enough but she could speak more openly when it was just the three currently sitting in the field. Franchesca wished Raya had made an appearance as well, but art talks hardly seemed like her cup of tea.

"Good morning to you too, Dandelion." Franchesca chuckled warmly, shaking the man she cherished while he used her for support. Franchesca ran a hand through the silver, eyes peering down to the sight of him and her heart fluttering at the image.

"Would you like to reaffirm our answer dear or should I?"

Wolfgang lifted his head wearily when she coaxed her hand through his hair. "Dandelion," he said, glancing back over his shoulder. "I don't think either of us want to have a threesome with you. Thank you, however, for the kind offer."

Dandelion's grin grew broader and a throaty laugh exploded from his chest like carbonation rising through a freshly opened soda bottle. "Well, damn," he mused, "I think you two and I could have some fun. Ah well, stick in the muds."​

• Love
Franchesca snorted. She supposed it was a matter of perspective but there was nothing stick-in-the-mud about her relationship with Wolfgang. They were broke rules, pushed boundaries and were rewarded for it. She'd gladly stay with him in the mud for years to come if the world would be so kind to let her.

It wouldn't of course but Franchesca swallowed the notion down.

"Just purely out of curiosity but am I the first girl you've extended that offer to?" Franchesca mused playfully, nudging the top of Wolfgang's head with her chin as a grin came to form.

"Of course not!" he laughed, throwing his head back with a bright smile. "Come now! I suppose if I can't convince you to run away with me between the sheets, let's get up and greet our incoming guests."

Wolfgang warily lifted his head, giving a tired smile at the nudge given to him by Franchesca.

Ronald and his wife, Colleen, strolled up from one of the maze's entries, strolling hand in hand. They were dressed handsomely, only slightly more casually than they had been the night before, and upon seeing the other three, Colleen brightened up and waved enthusiastically.

"Wolf! Franchesca!" she smiled, "nice to see you both." Ronald remained more stoic at her side, though he was smiling. As they approached, Ronald tipped forward towards their paintings in the grass.

"What do we have going on here?"

Franchesca laughed warmly at his response, her smile growing wide among the waves of silver. Dandelion was a man who certainly took some time getting used to, but at least he was as constant as he was eccentric. She waited until her love rose from his position lying against her before listening to Dandy's call, Franchesca running her fingers through the tousles while she spoke.

"You heard the man." She cooed happily. Moving from him, but never too far, as she pushed herself up to a stand. Franchesca spun at the call of their names, smiling graciously at the appearance of both Colleen and Richard. Their appearance was clear in the field compared to last night in the masquerade. They were distinguished but considering her connections Franchesca supposed she was to.

To some degree, anyways.

"Good to see you both again." Franchesca responded cooly, moving over to Coleen and offering her a faux kiss for each cheek like a proper Italian girl should. Her eyes shifted to Robert afterwards, chuckling as he looked over their activity. "Just a little outdoor painting. Though now that we are all standing here maybe Wolf and I should have made arrangements for a picnic."

hile Robert engaged Franchesca, Colleen swooped up to Wolfie and placed a hardened kiss against his cheek, leaving behind the perfect mark of her lipstick. Without asking, she looped her arm through his and lead him around the center of the maze garden, inspecting and pointing out each flower and bud. Wolfgang seemed fine entertaining her all the while.

"Mhm, mhm," Robert agreed. "A picnic would be nice. Emma has already made arrangements for lunch to be delivered. I spoke with her before coming down." One wrinkled finger tapped below his chin and a haggard smile curled the edges of his lips. He was clean shaven, except in the small, deep crevasse at either sides of his mouth, which revealed a small prickle of leftover five o'clock shadow whenever he smiled.

"These are both so beautiful. That lighthouse. Is it an actual place?"

ranchesca took note of Wolfgang and Colleen in the distance with a small smile but the majority of her attention remained with Robert. The man was offering her the future she had been waiting for after all. Her smile grew at the compliment, but she made a conscious effort to not seem over eager.

"Yes. It's back in Italy. The same town that Wolfgang and I met." Franchesca answered.

"That so?" Robert tipped back on his heels, looking across the small garden thoughtfully. His eye found the pair of them walking, though it was plenty clear his attention was more on his wife than Wolfgang.

"What do you want, Franchesca?" he asked, seemingly out of nowhere, though his mind was engrained deep with thought. "I can guess what Wolfgang wants for you, and I certainly know what I want for you, but what do you want?"

Franchesca paused. Though she would have wished otherwise, the question caught her off guard and the stun showed in her face. She turned and faced him, waiting for the man to do the same before she could even think to speak. It was a hell of a thing to ask, but it was something that needed to be answered. Officially. Out loud. Franchesca let out a breath.

"I want to come to Germany one day because it's my opening.... my art. Not because the man I love is established and I'm his plus one." She admitted. Franchesca wouldn't have given up the past two days with Wolfgang for the world, but that didn't make her want for achievement any less true.

Franchesca looked back out to their respective partners out by the flowers. She swallowed.. "I want to live up to what he sees in me."

"Alright, it's settled then. I'll get you booked for Munich in two months. That's not too soon, is it?" he asked, smiling up to his wife and waving her over. She caught the sight of his motioning and turned with a quaint grin of her own. Tugging Wolfgang along with her, they reunited into a small party of four.

"Honey, we have ourselves a resident artist for our grand opening," Robert announced. "Finally."

"That's great to here, honey," Colleen answered, sliding her arm through Wolfgang's to give her husband a celebratory peck on his lips. "I'm so proud of you, honey. When do you join us?" She asked, looking to Franchesca.

Franchesca was smiling as Colleen and Wolfgang made their return... but only the latter could see the bittersweet taste in the curved of her lips. It was convincing, the smile, but subdued. Were it not for Wolfgang this would have been one of the happiest moments of her life, getting a residency in Munich. But were it not for Wolfgang the opportunity wouldn't have found her so early.

She gazed in her lover's direction, turning to Colleen to answer her question with a quieted breath. "Two months. I'm up to the task. You and Robert will not regret taking me on."

"I'm sure we won't," Colleen said, turning back from the peck to her husband. "I'm confident you'll love it. Munich is so beautiful. I wish we could live there."

Wolfgang was quiet during the exchange, but he wore a quiet smile. No matter how ill he felt about the exchange, he was happy. It was the right thing for the right woman, and he believed in her as an artist. This was the start of her break. She could do a lot with it if she allowed herself to.

Kindly folding his hands behind his back. "Munich is absolutely lovely."

The faith the three of them had in her was reassuring. It was enough to bring a genuine smile to her face. At first she wondered what she did to deserve such recognition, but then Franchesca reminded herself that clearly they had found such certainty while examining her art. Everything was coming together, but in a way it was also falling apart.

"I cannot wait to see it come two months time, but for now why don't we enjoy the present?" Franchesca suggested calmly, her smile quieting down but remaining all the same. She turned to the couple that, alongside Wolfgang and Dandelion, gave her everything she wanted and more.

"I remember a mentioning of lunch?"​

• Love