Lesser, Greater, Middling

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
B

Bears

Original poster
coPC8mF.png
p6qVJfb.png

"She drove him mad, entirely mad, and there was nothing he could do about it but feel himself fall for it, time and time again."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Nav and rissa
"Will you give references?" a brightly coloured redhead asked, her cheeks flushing the same shade of red as her hair as she spoke. Her question was broken up by a humiliating crackle in her voice, which deepened the shade of red all the way to the point of her ears.

"I'll consider writing references, yes. Inquiries can be emailed to me. Otherwise, I generally stay behind after class, and you're welcome to talk to me then, about that, or any other matters."

"Is attendance mandatory?" a young man with a beak-like nose and beady eyes that made him appear genuinely untrustworthy asked fron the far corner of the room. His cheeks as greasy as his hair, and judging by the small circle of space made around him, he probably hadn't showered in recent days.

"No," Wolfgang said in response. "Not mandatory, if you wish to fail."

Leaning his hands on the desk, Wolfgang hooked one foot and rested his weight on the other, answering a few more questions before he very nearly moved on to the next subject when a hand raising in the back drew his attention. He paused and glanced in the general direction. Before he even noticed her face, it was her hair he saw first. It was black like the ink of a tilted piece of damp parchment. Her eyes were foxlike and, meeting her gaze from across the classroom, the raw umber shade was approachable. Wolfgang pushed his hands off the table and stood upright.

"Yes," he remarked. "I will be continuing the after-class workshops this semester. As before, they will be small, personal workshop across all class-levels on an audition basis. If anyone is interested, you can submit a piece of art you believe best represents you and a notecard, four by six, of an explanation to the piece by next Friday. Any medium is welcome, even ceramic. Anything else?"

The redhead, red face from before raised her hand again. "You didn't specify dimensions for the notecard, sir."

Wolfgang sighed and turned his gaze to her, for the second time with a deadpanned expression of disbelief. "If you bring me a four by six foot notecard, Rachel, I won't reject it. Now, with all of that behind us, I'd like you all to spend some time thinking about what defines composition in your own mind and art. Please submit a brief, one page summary to me by the start of next class."

"Sir, do you want references?" Again, the redhead's hand shot up in the air, but didn't wait for her to look her way before blurting her question.

"Rachel, you can include references if you like."

"Twelve point font? Times New Roman?"

Wolfgang clasped his hands behind his back. In his eye, there was a mischievous glint that reflected the turn at the edge of his lips; an incredibly subtle hint at a smirk of annoyance and amusement, in equal measure. "That will do fine."

"Double spaced or…?" she continued.

"Class dismissed. Thank you."​

• Love
Reactions: Bears
It was fun to watch him work, admittedly. Something amusing in the way she tried her best to gauge his response. Was he annoyed? Bored? It certainly made for better entertainment than the red head's need to know every detail anyways. Franchesca felt that way now of course but she entertained the possibility that her feelings could change when she would actually have to learn rather than listen to her classmates throw questions at the brick wall that was Professor Reiter.

They were a varied bunch at the very least, her classmates. A part of her was interested to see who would try to join the afternoon sessions, to see what art they were capable of submitting. Very little part of her felt the want to try and socialize however. As far as Franchesca was concerned Wolfie and the two boys were enough as is. He dismissed the class and Franchesca took her sweet time getting up from her seat. She looked over at Rachel, a pang of pity hitting her.

"Hey redhead." Franchesca called out casually. Rachel turned to her immediately and tilted her head in confusion. Understandable, considering Chesca had only spoken out loud once prior to that moment. She nodded towards the professor and smiled faintly, giving her classmate some advice. "He's not as much of a hard ass as he seems. Don't worry so much."

"...Thanks?" The redhead replied reluctantly. She was still a little bit perturbed. Franchesca shrugged and turned away--whatever her classmate did with that information was up to her. Her thoughts went to Thomas and Antoine in that moment, she hadn't seen the both of them since they left the professor's office. Franchesca hoped the break was doing them some good, but a part of her was worried.

Bikes have riders. Those riders don't just disappear out of thin air. She wanted to explain her concern to Woflie, so Franchesca waited with arms crossed until Rachel and all the other worrisome students were done hounding him at the front of class. As it tended to be, watching the professor deal with their sort was enough entertainment to pass the time.

Only after that last bit of students trickled out did Franchesca finally stand. She slung her bag over her shoulder and walked towards him at the front, tilting her head as a smile hinted at the corner of her lips.

"You look like you've had a long day." Franchesca told him, shrugging casually. "Considering your rep and I all I was expecting a little bit more first meeting homework. Not that I'm complaining or anything."​

• Nice Execution!
  • Love
Reactions: rissa and Nav
When the last of the students, save one, filed from the room, Wolfgang pulled out a chair and sat with a tired huff. His head bothered him worse than before under the glare of bright lights and equally gleaming student gazes. Under different circumstances, he might have been more of a hard ass, but he lacked the energy and the will. What he needed was a therapeutic glass of wine and a longer night of sleep than he had been getting.

When the young woman approached, Wolfgang's demeanour softened a few notches and he allowed himself a smile, and not one tinted with irritation. "I'm not feeling particularly well today," he responded to her comment of his well-being. "Baker jumped at me first thing and my day has gone downhill since. He has an idea, by the by; but he wants to impress you with it, so I'll leave it to him to tell you." Whether Wolfgang would go for it or not, he hadn't decided. How deep in the rabbit hole should he go? Allow the students to go? Looking up to Franchesca, he had the sense she'd go on with or without his help.

Was it better to help and be present, or discourage? That was the grand question that Wolfgang had already answered subconsciously, unbeknownst to his conscious mind.

"You want more homework? Mm, very well, make your report ten pages." His spirits a little more lifted, he stood and began to pack up his shoulderbag and belongings. "Also, the regulations for the art competition come out on Monday. I hope you haven't forgotten, or are going to try and back out. I don't often bet on horses when it comes to competition, but if anyone could win this competition, it would be you." He hummed and paused his packing to look down to her. "Are you done with classes for today?"

It was late in the afternoon, nearly three, but there were still some evening classes. All the night classes had been rescheduled to earlier hours to accommodate the ten PM curfew.​

• Nice Execution!
"I am indeed done for the day... and I was joking okay? So I'm just gonna assume you are too." Franchesca smirked, eyeing him for a moment in an effort to see if he was joking or not. She wouldn't put it past him--Wolfgang Reiter seemed like the exact type of mentor who would try and push her to her limits one way or the other. His comment regarding the competition was proof of that, a challenge in the form of a compliment. Franchesca laughed though it was more of an effort to distract herself from the warmth that settled in her cheeks.

"You showed us the video, we promised to join. If anything you should probably be worrying about Thom submitting." Franchesca leaned up against his desk, arms sliding over the other as they came to a cross. "I'm going off my impression here but he doesn't exactly seem like the type to really care about things like... deadlines or trying. Feel free to tell me otherwise."

Franchesca reached up to rub the back of her neck tiredly. There wasn't much to recount about the day with the exception of the radio report but she decided she would put it off just a little while longer. She didn't want to add any more strain than what he was already dealing with. Watching him pack up her thoughts drew back to his choice of words regarding Antoine.

She wasn't a foolish girl. She knew how things worked, how people worked. There was a definite possibility that Antoine had read something wrong or was unlucky enough to be attracted to her. Franchesca knew she probably had too much baggage for him to handle. The thought alone was enough to get a sigh but much like the report she decided to deal with those thoughts another time.

"How about you?" Franchesca asked lightly. "Are you done?"​

• Love
Reactions: rissa and Nav
"Oh? You were joking? No, I was not," he clarified, but cracked something of a smile. "Very well, I suppose you can write the same as all else because I am a kind and benevolent professor." With all of his belongings collected, his slid the shoulder bag over his shoulders, but didn't leap for the door like he might have done had the conversation been shared with anything. The jest made him realize just how confident she'd gotten with reading his intentions. How easy it was for her to understand things few else did, few else bothered to try.

What should have been a startling reminder of just how much trust he was instilling in her. "Yes, I made you promise though I'm decidedly less concerned about either Baker or Thom than I am with you," he admitted. "I don't think I possess the energy to chase after Thom to make sure he fulfills the bargain." Wolfgang was an insistent man, but not a foolish one. He'd helped because he truly believed it to be the right thing to do, but if he got something he wanted out of it—namely Franchesca submitting to the competition—than he was in no way able to complain.

Seeing her rub the back of her neck, a familiar pang formed in the back of his neck. A tiredness rested there, brought on by the weight of his headache. The pain of which should have been growing worse, but actually lessened in in Franchesca's presence.

"Yes, I am done for the day," he said, clearing his throat and pushing thoughts back into the recess of his mind. "I need to fetch some dinner, perhaps some wine." Wolfgang looked to the window. The day had gone from sunny in the early hours to overcast. A breeze picked up, sending loose leaves tumbling through the air. On the distant horizon, over the ocean, the clouds gathered into a terrifying wall of storms. Spires of lightening danced down to the waters below, threatening to slam the storm into the mainland.

"Though it looks like we might get some weather tonight." Storms were common to the area, and many summer nights were spent listening to rain rip across his roof and windows. "Perhaps I'll just pick something up on my way home." As he planned his own evening, his attention wandering, he switched his gaze back to her and startled by how she sprawled over the desk, like she was being weighed down by an immense weight that couldn't be seen, but felt. "Are you sure that's all? There is nothing else you've come to talk to me about, except the end of my day?"​

• Love
Franchesca looked back at him for a moment as steadily as she could. He was weary enough and the news she heard on the radio and her following theories wasn't exactly a calming subject. The falter was subtle--coming in the form of the slightest makings of a frown--and suddenly Franchesca thought it was useless. He knew she was holding back about Sabine yesterday, he'd know now if she kept it up.

So her expression shifted entirely. Franchesca let her worry show through without any filter but her eyes followed his towards the windows. Seattle had its fair share of rainy days but damn if that wasn't a storm brewing. The young artist couldn't help but feel like it was fitting considering current events.

"I don't know if I have anything solid exactly, but I heard something on the radio this morning." Franchesca explained, pushing herself off of the desk and gravitating towards the scenic ocean view. Another long sigh escaped her and she turned to look back at him over the curve of her own shoulder. "Just something that got mentioned in passing that I found a little weird."

"Someone just abandoned their bike by the side of the road close to town... which wouldn't be so disconcerting if, well..." Franchesca spoke with a furrowed brow. The young artist shrugged and turned to face him entirely. Her posture remained guarded, uncomfortable. "I just don't like the sound of it. Some crazy person still has Rafael who's to say they aren't capable of running around and grabbing someone else?"

Suddenly Franchesca began to wave the notion off. "Then again... maybe I'm probably just being paranoid and it's all just coincidence."​

• Love
Reactions: Nav
"Oh?" Wolfgang did what he could to keep his facial expression clear, but damnit all if his eyes weren't heavy. If the pulsing pain zipping through his brain wasn't leaching through his muscle tissue. Hunger gnawing at his stomach made him a prisoner, quite helpless in the cage of pain that was surging back once more. It made him want to pace about. He couldn't sit, couldn't lie down, or relax, and moving didn't help much, either. There was no such thing as comfort when being stricken by a headache that was coming and going in pulses and patterns.

"It is unusual for a bike to be left behind, certainly," he agreed, punching the bridge of his nose momentarily. "It may be something worth paying attention to, but as far as I've heard, no one has been reported as missing." Though, that didn't necessarily mean much. He knew of many students, and townsfolk, who lived alone. Most professors didn't take roll call, so it'd be easy for someone less sociable than Rafa to go missing for days—weeks—before anyone noticed. "I'm not quite sure what we could do to investigate any further on that matter," he admitted. "You could always ask around with the students if they haven't seen anyone recently, but I fear that it will lead you—us—to dead ends."

He cleared his throat. "Or, perhaps it is merely a coincidence. Though, if I were being honest, I believe in a lot of things, but coincidence isn't one."

Looking out over the ocean, which was now turning violently with a fast wind and electricity in the air, he sighed. "I think we better both get home quick, though. Before the storm gets too bad." The skies turned black and bruised, threatening to bring with it a torrent of rain that would be heavy enough to draw blood from a stone.

"I can walk you home, if you like." It was a far ways from curfew, but with how dark the clouds were turning the sky, it seemed like near midnight-- and as he had mentioned, Wolfgang didn't believe in coincidence. There was something lurking in the charming Italian hamlet, and he'd rather not wake up to news of Franchesca missing because he had a headache and rushed home without pause.

The street-lamps fought to fend it off as best they could, but still, the streets were drawn heavy with all-consuming shadow. Incidentally, what little he could see of the village from the window was entirely deserted of people.​

• Love
Franchesca could see the wear and tear coming down on him. The professor wasn't sluggish exactly, but there was an uncharacteristic stiffness in his movements that clued her in. Wolfgang Reiter was a man of many quiet gestures and subtle expressions, and she had come to notice that even the way he walked seemed measured and thought out to the point. So now when every movement seemed to be accompanied by a hint of pain it was apparent.

"You look like you could use some time home yourself. Just four days into the semester and we are both doing a little rough... hopefully the rest of the year'll be kinder." Franchesca mused softly, once again coming to rub the back of her neck. It was a nice sentiment but apart of her couldn't help but feel things were just starting to ramp up.

Regardless, the thought of walking home with someone was comforting and the thought of walking home with Wolfgang even better. "Coming?" She called out to him with very little warning, repeating his words from yesterday with a small grin as she spun on her heel and headed for the door.

Racing against the darkened sky and the risks that came with staying under it, Franchesca and Wolfgang moved at a pace faster than they had the last time they found themselves walking home with one another. Franchesca seemed content with a quiet stroll, though that was in due part to concern for whatever was ailing the professor.

They came to Vernazza where many people hurried down the narrow, winding roads in an attempt to beat the coming storm. It was a little concerning but Franchesca remained generally calm as she looked over the Wolfgang and spoke. "On second thought maybe bringing me to the Tregua directly might not be the greatest idea. Aunt Isabelle wants you over for dinner again and as much as I'd love to entertain you with my embarrassment, I think two nights in a week would be a little... sketchy."

It was the first time she acknowledged the unusual and confusing nature of their relationship and she paused. Franchesca grinned and shook her head. "Maybe I can drop you off this time? Wherever you're going to grab something to eat?" Franchesca considered mentioning his home but she neither knew where it was or wanted to imagine the kind of rumors people could conjure up if they saw.​

• Love
"Somehow, I've come to believe nothing ever calms down here," he admitted with a sluggish smile. Collecting his bag and flinging it over his shoulder, he followed her out of the classroom. Outside, a violent wind thrashed them, bringing it with it a taste of salt from the ocean. A feeling that it was going to rain was evident in his joints, and he hurried along. Already, a mist was starting to come down. Nothing more than a light drizzle, leaving only the softest web of water droplets across his shoulders and eyelashes.

"Mm, I'm not sure I'd even have the energy to endure your aunt, if I were being honest," he admitted. "And it would be very unusual, indeed." Like it or not, the nature of his and Franchesca's relationship was—strange. They'd been thrown together in a mix-bag because of strange circumstances and there was a line they had to both follow, and had both broken already in their own way and he didn't know what to make of it.

He was never like some of the professors, who tried to make friends with his students. On the contrary, he did everything he could to avoid contact away from lessons.

His step shortened for a stride with what she suggested. "Drop me off? I'm going home," he said. "Very well, I don't live all that far from your aunt's Inn. Let's just walk in the general direction and split off when we need to."

A heavy silence settled over them, thicker than the uneasy tension in the atmosphere. He felt painfully out of place then, though he'd never admit it, like a pepperoni that had mistakenly made its way on to a vegetarian pizza. He very nearly considered rescinding his offer regarding Friday after class, but decided I against it because he couldn't bring himself to spit out the words. Despite himself, he genuinely enjoyed her company… and it pained him to admit it. Of all the people in the city, of all of them—it had to be a student he found most agreeable. Not a citizen, not a professor—oh no, that would make his life too simple.

He could only recall his old mantra from his early twenties: why couldn't life be as easy as he was?​

• Love
"Sounds like a plan." Franchesca nodded in agreement though she felt a tad foolish for never considering maybe the professor lived close to the Tregua. It was a rather well off section in an already small coastal town, so it made sense. The mentioning of splitting off was enough to quiet the conversation down, whatever that might imply and for awhile Franchesca just looked forward. Her boots clicked against the cobblestone like a quiet rhythm but her mind was elsewhere.

She thought for some time about Thomas, Antoine and by extension--Rafael. Once again she found herself wondering how the boys were doing and how they were planning on finding Lorenzo's missing golden child. There were little leads they could go by and there was nothing Franchesca could realistically do about it but that didn't make her feel any less guilty about standing by.

Franchesca also spent a fair, if not the majority, of her time thinking about the man walking beside her. Oh how she managed to muddle things ever so dangerously over the past four days with the professor. She felt a connection to him but a part of her knew that she had to acknowledge their status as mentor and student before anything else. A part of her wondered if Wolfie thought the same. A part of her hoped he didn't. She refused to admit the latter.

There was still quite a distance between them and the Tregua when, without warning or mercy, the rain began to pour. It was quick--just five seconds and the entire atmosphere of Vernazza shifted. Suddenly it became a darker place, a harsher place... even if its beauty managed to retain itself throughout the downpour. Cursing loudly in an effort to overcome the roar of the storm Franchesca turned to Wolfgang who in turn began to pick up the pace... where he was going exactly she did know but that didn't stop her from following after him in hopes of shelter.

"Do storms like this happen normally?!" Franchesca shouted out as she ran after him, her voice just barely audible over the howl of the wind and the splatter of the rain.​

• Love
What started as a near drizzle was picked apart by proper, weighty drops of Thoroughbred rain. It slammed down and ripped across his skin with all the might a handful of pebbles might have done, stinging painfully. In an instant, his clothes saturated through; walking through a waterfall couldn't have gotten him any wetter. His hair became one with his face, wetly draped over the bone structure, his expression turning serious. The coldness of the water, however, brought relief to the ache in his head and all he could think about was getting into a dry place. His home was only a short ways up the street, he could see it.

Wolfgang trotted through the maze of buildings. The sky rumbled, and heavy droplets bounced off the cobblestone. He was cold. What had first been a relief from the slight fever building in his forehead turned quickly to an icy chill. His fingers went numb when he fumbled with his keys, the joints refusing to bend and act as they were supposed to. The wind stole heat away quicker than his body could replace it as he fought with the lock.

The satisfying click of the door allowed him to step into the foyer of his home. The aromatics of lavender and long-burnt down coals swam through the air and from the living room, hearing the commotion, strolled in a cat. The cat was ginger, but not harsh like a red tabby. It was more like the kind of orange you'd see on a beloved old-shirt. He had a soft look about him. She mewled, and sat. Precise, green eyes staring at her saturated master, and the foreigner behind him.

It was a blessing in disguise really, at least at the moment, that white was never particularly Franchesca's color. The majority of her wardrobe was an assortment of greys, black and browns with a healthy dose of bright red. Her jeans were soaked, her jacket--soaked. Franchesca couldn't even think about the state of her hair as she bolted through the streets. The sound of the rain was enough to drown out her thoughts.

Though they were near the Tregua, Franchesca didn't know where she was following the professor up until the moment he pulled out a pair of keys. For a moment she stood there, holding herself against the cold, considering leaving because the alternative was entering his home.

It was a foolish notion but one that had nearly won her over when suddenly the key clicked and the door was open. Franchesca made no attempt to be subtle with the 'fuck' that left her mouth at that moment. Despite her conflicted feelings she entered her professor's home and threw the door closed with her heel.

Realizing how careless that had been soon thereafter, Franchesca apologized... to both Wolfgang and his cat alike.

The one thing no professor ought to do was let a student know where he or she lived. The exception being Professor Poppins, who made a life of popping around with her students. Wolfgang, however, was a modest man who lived his life by societal norms after he'd given up a difficult and troubled youth. He'd gone home because that was what his animalistic instinct told him to do to escape the weather, and h couldn't quite remember the path to the Tregua, anyhow.

The door slammed behind him and a bristling arched up his spine as he glanced back over his shoulder. The cat meowed unimpressed.

Suddenly, Wolfgang felt the need to move, almost without end. If his limbs were moving, the anxiety of the situation was gone, or at least he could ignore it awhile. Yet, the anxiety was like being hooked up to a cattle fence—not enough voltage to kill, but sufficient to keep things uncomfortable. The worst of it was knowing it wasn't even Franschesca's presence that bothered him, so much as his lack of being bothered by it. He should have. Every rational thought in his brain told him it was bad, wrong, and entirely incorrect, but nothing about Franchesca had been usual, not even their first introduction.

"Let me," he paused for a moment, considering, before continuing. "Get you a towel." He stepped through the house, kicking off his shoes into a corner but still leaving small pools of water behind.

The house was charming. It was warm, inviting, and most importantly—dry. Mingling with the numerous paintings on the walls were framed pictures. Some didn't include Wolfgang, but most did—his arms looped around the necks of friends, back when his hair was sandy blonde and he smiled brightly, and frequently.

He returned a moment later with a towel around his neck, and another extended out to Franchesca.

"I...thanks." Was all that Franchesca managed to get out before Wolfgang disappeared deeper into the house. Before fixing her hair, before wiping the droplets, before anything--Franchesca entertained the idea of turning around and heading right back out the door. The crackle of thunder was enough to settle her and with a wipe of a forehead and a sigh she made an effort to not soak his home any more than needed.

Reluctantly, Franchesca slipped out of her black suede coat and turned to hang it on a nearby rack. Next to come off was her boots, which she undid quickly in an effort to strip herself of her soaked sock as soon as humanly possible. All the while the professor's cat watched, those green eyes reminding her just who's home she was undressing in. It was enough to bring warmth to a face that had long gone pale in the cold.

Speaking of cold she couldn't help but shiver as Wolfgang returned with a towel. Her eyes rose to him and she hoped that the mood lighting was enough to conceal her turmoil. "Thanks." She mumbled, taking it from him slowly but wasting no time the moment it was in her hands. Franchesca dried her face, caring little if her makeup ran or not... they had just run through a storm the last thing on her mind was looking pretty.

Running a hand through her hair she became suddenly aware that she hadn't moved that much from her place in the quaint little foyer. In all honesty she wasn't sure if she should come in any further. Franchesca promised herself no hesitation but this situation was so outlandish she couldn't help but feel reluctant... and it showed.

"God... I did not expect this outcome." The young woman breathed, her tone somewhere between nervous and amused. Franchesca seemed to want to say more but paused in order to fight back another shiver.

"You and I both," he admitted to her mumbled statement. He bit down on the edge of his lip, a much more obvious nervous tick than he usually allowed himself. "Would you like some tea?" he asked, grasping for a change in topic. "To warm up? Perhaps the rain will have slowed by then."

The house, though warm, couldn't warm him fast enough. Goose bumps rose all along his skin and his lips were pale, nearing a shade of blue. When the towel was pulled away, he turned off and vanished into the living room. It was his home and he didn't even know if he should invite her in or not. This went against every and all protocol for everything and, suddenly, his manners faltered. He hadn't a clue what was appropriate. Politeness dictated to invite her in, but morality stood strong against it. A war, as violent as the storm battering his windows, raged within him.

Busying his hands with the fireplace, Wolgang reignited the belly of coals with a fresh log. The fireplace turned into a tiny sun for the evening, casting long shadows over the rug. The flames curled and swayed, flickering this way and that, crackling as they burned the dry wood.

Back into the foyer, Wolfgang hesitantly walked.

"Hm? Oh yeah... that'd be okay." Franchesca responded, the jumpiness in her voice just as uncharacteristic as the bite of his lip that had gone anything but unnoticed. She paused for a moment to reflect tragically on the words she just sai before nodding, perhaps a little too eagerly.

"Soon as I can actually see past my arm out there I'll go. Don't you worry." Franchesca said, her eyes drifting over to the light emanating from the living room afterwards. Another pause and this time it was the young woman who bit her lip... she hated being cold.

She cleared her throat, motioning to the room with her hand but closing her eyes in attempt to shield herself from the embarrassment as she spoke. "Do you mind if I...? Er... would it be alright if I just stand awkwardly by the fire? It's totally fine if you know, that's a little yeah... the foyer is charming enough as is but uhh..."

God help her.

Oh, if he was somewhat cognizant, he might have mused and counted all the 'hums' and 'haws' stretching between them. Turning to the kitchen, Wolfgang scurried to put the kettle on to the stove and prepare some tea. He only glanced back when she spoke. "Sure, of course, help yourself," he replied.

The living room was the highlight of the entire house. It was cozy, almost too small, with a handsome Persian Rug, a sofa, and books… books piled everywhere. There was a single bookcase, but it couldn't contain all of them, so he'd jus started to stack them, until one particularly large pile had transformed into something of a coffee table. As with the rest of the house, the walls were adorned with masterful pieces, and pictures.

Once the water boiled, he poured it out over two mugs of herbal tea and brought them both into the living room. "Here," he said with a shy smile. "Hopefully this will help you warm up."

Franchesca did a bit of an awkward shuffle as she made her way into the living room and only moved after the professor had retired to the kitchen to start their tea. She was flustered, mortified even and the rain just kept howling on.

Stepping into the living room though Franchesca let herself be distracted by the rustic, artsy charm that the room held. It was exactly like him to have styled such a space like this and the the fact that that thought even occurred to her was enough to redirect her energies. Tempted to explore but ultimately resigned to nervousness, she came by the fire and did as promised.

Franchesca stood there doing her best to warm up and thankfully refused the urge to jump when the professor returned to her. She took the tea with an solemn nod but could not help her pleased expression as the warmth of the drink ran its course down her body.

"If somebody asked me before what Wolfgang Reiter's house looked like I wouldn't know what to say... but after coming in here well..." She began though she wasn't really sure why. Franchesca cleared her throat and reprimanded herself internally. "It's a very fitting home. Perfect for you, even."

What the hell was she saying?

Wrapping both of his hands around his own mug, feeling a little bit of warmth finally begin to make its way back into his body. He felt like a stranger in his own home and resorted to standing awkwardly near the fire as well, though on the far opposite side. Eventually, he gained enough confidence to sit on the brick riser with his back to the flames, letting them slowly dry out his clothes.

Blowing the steam off the rim of his tea, his eyes turned up, settling on Franchesca as she looked around. Sipping, he set the mug to the side. "Well," he chuckled awkwardly, "I think it's quite nice, as well. I bought it without every seeing it. After I found out I was hired by the university, I had only two weeks to pack and move from Austria. I sold off near everything and came to Italy with only two suitcases." Talking about the history of the house was a distraction. It didn't feel so strange when they were talking about something so—normal.

"So, I bought the house by chance. It's nice. It works for now." Most of the belongings he possessed were bought in Italy, save for the pictures and a few odds and ends he brought with him. "Do you plan to stay here? In Italy, I mean, after you graduate?"​

Last edited:
  • Love
Now did not seem an appropriate time to tell the professor she came to Italy because of him and the implication of leaving left her with an odd feeling, a feeling she couldn't quite put to words. For awhile she seemed unsure what to say, Franchesca clearly toying with the thought the way she tilted her head in consideration.

"I think it'd be nice to travel the world a bit more, catch my bearings um... get perspective on how everything fits." Franchesca cleared her throat for the second time that evening before coming to sit down on the floor as well. She crossed her legs and did her best to hide her one nervous tick by designating her hands to tying wet hair duty.

"Get famous. Eventually hit a decline. Become a professor." Franchesca continued eventually, her eyes flashing just a hint of the fox in her from across the room. The young woman shook her head and chuckled. "What about you? This home is a cozy enough place to... retire, I guess, for when you get tired of all the senior class hotdogs and red headed Rachels."

Wolfgang didn't laugh very often. Sometimes, he would smirk, or even chuckle, but Franchesca's outlook on life caused a genuine laugh to rise up through him. "I see you're holding back nothing today, hm? Well, the funny thing about being famous is that I never wished to be famous, not truly, but I've always wanted to be great." The shift in conversation between them seemed to be enough to allow them both room to relax a little.

"The storm has me all riled up what can I say?" Franchesca quipped. Her tone remained relatively reserved but the playfulness was there.

Wolfgang didn't feel quite so squirrely, and there were considerably less hums in what Franchesca was saying. Every minute allowed another muscle to relax, until he slouched back against the stone circling around the fireplace.

He did scoff though, shooting a look in her direction from the corner of his eyes. "Retire? How old do you think I am, precisely? I'm many years off from retirement, I hope." He stretched his legs out, hooking them at the ankle. "I'm not sure how long I'll want to be a professor. I can't quite explain it, but it feels transitory. For me, it's an evolution into something else. Whatever that something else is, I haven't a clue."

She looked back at him, smiling from behind her cup of tea at his reaction to retirement. Franchesca listened attentively otherwise, letting his words settle as she thought of what to say in response. "Well there's no rush. Don't go off evolving too soon or I'm gonna be stuck spending what free time I have with Thomas and that's not bound to end well."

"You two spending too much time together would likely burn the campus to the ground. All that history, destroyed by havoc wreaking toddlers," he mused. His laughter died into a quaint smile. Though, neither Thomas nor Franchesca were particularly troublesome, as students or individuals. If they had seen him at twenty-one, they would have been liable to lose their minds... and their jaws to the floor.

"For now, the university is fine enough. Life is seldom prone to tipping points, so I haven't a clue when I'll move on here. If you would have told me five years ago I would have ended up here, well, I probably wouldn't have been conscious enough to argue."

Franchesca leaned back entirely, pressing her body against the bricks. Her eyes remained on him, a curious expression developing on her face. It seemed the corner of her lips were threatening to turn upright. The awkwardness had subsided, at least for the time being, and Franchesca was grateful. There were still things that had to be taken into account of course--seeing as she was a student taking refuge in her professor's home--even if there was nothing scandalous about either of their intentions.

Confidence rising, the young woman squinted her eyes and pointed at him with a single finger. "There's an invitation to a story somewhere in there, Wolfie. Don't hold out on me now."

"Oh, plenty of stories there," he agreed, tilting his head ever-so slightly so he could see her more fully. Those were stories he wasn't sure he was ready to share with anyone, let alone one of his students. "But those are best left for another time, I assure you."

The last thing he needed to do was add more fuel to the fire that was their relationship. Already it had gone too far outside the realms of normalcy, but to have he also know the extent of the person he used to be? That version of Wolfgang was dead and long buried. "Remind me when you graduate, and at that point, I will share with you all."

Fanchesca considered for a moment pushing him. It was apparent in how her squint remained but with a more furrowed brow come to shade it. The idea passed without action however and she let up, her expression softening. Franchesca had to be content with letting him share whatever he was willing. It wasn't something she should force after all... they were in no way obligated to each other's secrets. Even if a part of her wanted to be.

She turned away and reflected on that feeling, the relationship she shared with Wolfgang Reiter getting more and more unclear with each day. Perhaps by the hour. Her eyes remained pointedly on the bottom of her mug, she was nearly done with her tea. Franchesca turned back to him and nodded. "Fair enough. When I graduate you tell me everything, no take backs."

"I want to hear all of it. Nothing held back. Promise me that and I'll do the same." Franchesca assured him, a sure confidence in her words even though by doing that they would only just blur the lines between them even further.

"I will tell you my entire life story, if that is what you desire," he replied, arching his brows curiously. Only once before had he encountered the phrase 'no take backs.' "No take backs," he echoed, his accent becoming thicker as he tried to get around the unfamiliar string of syllables.

The spark of an idea came to her eyes and Franchesca sat a little straighter, twisting so he might see her fully. It was a little juvenile but a part of her enjoyed reminding the old stoic professor that he wasn't a fossil. Franchesca extended her hand, offering her smallest as a contract of his promise.

The extension of her pinky, however, was a complete mystery to him.

"What is this?" he asked. The neutral expression, perhaps one even slightly more tense than usual, eased into surprise. "Is there something that is expected of me here? If so, what is it?"

She paused--matching his surprise with confusion. It took a second or two for his question to register itself properly but a warm smile followed realization. Franchesca turned onto her knees, daring to crawl just a little bit closer. She stopped right beside the crackling flames.

"It's an American thing I guess... or at least I think it is." Franchesca explained, extending her hand once more now that she was closer. "All you have to do is take my pinky finger in yours and we shake on it. It's like a business deal but a little more..."

More confusion found her face as the word seemed to escape her. Seconds passed and it was clear from her expression that she was searching for it.

"...Intimate." Franchesca said without thinking. She turned back to him, her eyes widening as she realized that she could not take it back. The young woman swallowed, her face growing warm as a product of her actions and the fire lighting up the room next to her.

"A pinky promise." Franchesca dubbed it. Trying her best to smile away the uncertainty in her voice now that she had went and said something like that.

A pinky promise. He'd never heard of such a thing, and the choice of her wording threw him further down the rabbit hole. He shouldn't. He shouldn't have ever offered her tea or a towel, he never should have agreed to help with Rafa, he never should have done a lot of things when it came to Franchesca, though in the few days they'd known each other, he'd felt overwhelming powerless against her. For a man who thrived on control, of himself and of his life, it was maddening. Maddening, yet exhilarating… frightening, electrifying.

It involved too many emotions shifting through him too quickly to properly process each one. Like a rolodex spinning, he couldn't keep up. She drove him mad, entirely mad, and there was nothing he could do about it but feel himself fall for it, time and time again.

Wolfgang hooked his pinky around hers and shook their hands. "Pinky promise." His accent still thicker than before, unaccustomed to the strange arrangement of the words. "You have my agreement."

There was a pause. A single moment in time when all the pain in his head cleared and the touch was not a terrifying entity. It was confusing, certainly, but not uncomfortable like it usually was. It was but a moment though, and Wolfgang withdrew his hand.

Yet still, his fingers burned with a pleasant warmth.​

• Love
In her entire existence of twenty one years not once did Franchesca imagine herself in this moment. Resting on her knees across from a man who influenced her in the most important way, warmed by the fire of his home, and the intense want to be even closer to him in her chest. The way their eyes settled on each other following the promise was enough for her to realize it. To acknowledge it, even if it was only to herself.

But Franchesca didn't dare crawl any more forward, no. Instead, she looked down at her hands and failed to hold back the widest grin yet. Wolfgang had a sway on her. She was used to dealing with hardships and problem but damned if they hadn't made a mess of things now. Franchesca looked back up and paused--her eyes seeming to search his for a change of topic. Franchesca would prefer to distract herself from her feelings at that moment than act upon them.

Even over the sound of her heart beating in her ears the rain remained the steadiest of white noise. Franchesca wasn't sure what time it was but it would still be some time yet before she could make the trip back to the Tregua. Clearing her throat she turned back around crawled to where she originally sat.

"What's her name?" Franchesca asked quietly, the grin having settled into a small smile. Her gaze landed on the latest arrival, the professor's cat. Her godmother loved having an animal around when Franchesca was younger but health had put limitations on Isabelle as of late. The cat slowly meandered her way towards them and in an effort to get her attention Franchesca leaned forward and placed her hand out.

"Hello, miss beautiful" Franchesca called out rather sweetly, beckoning the feline her way with a motion of her two longest fingers.​

• Love
There, it was like space and time became the finest point imaginable, as if time collapsed into one tiny speck and exploded at light speed. For those few minutes, or however long she'd sit on his mantle, it was as if his universe began and ended with her. Every time they spoke, he became bewitched each time, harder than the last. At first, he thought it merely interest in her spunky personality and keen eye for art. He still believed that to be true, sure, but his fondness stemmed from another place, as well. A place he couldn't quite describe.

If the wild storm outside didn't represent his inner turmoil, he wasn't sure what would.

Attacks of lightening burst through the silk blinds, sending beams of light through the space every so often. Blinding light, that should have ruined low lighting and the warming effect of a fire, only added to it. The noise level of the rain turned so intense that it rattled pictures hanging on the wall. Wolfgang looked to them, if only to turn his eyes somewhere else.

"Hm?" he hummed, unsure of what—or who—she meant until the shadow of the bright orange feline slinked into the room. Her tail curled up and bowed into the shape of a question mark as she jogged forward to push her head below Franchesca's fingers. A small engine of purrs collected in her chest.

"I call her Oachkatzlschwoaf." His gaze flickered to Franchesca with a small smirk, tempted to force her to attempt to pronounce the very-German title. "It means squirrel tail, but, I like to call her Woaf for short. It's a bit easier for you non-German speakers."​

• Love
"If you think you can actually bait me into butchering a name such as... that you are dead wrong." Franchesca shot right back, her slender form shaking ever so slightly with mirth. Her eyes drifted back to the endearing little creature, brushing her hand along the length of the cat's face before coming to scratch the back of her ear lightly. It occurred to her just how fitting it was Professor Wolfgang owned a cat. She did not explain the soft laughter that escaped her at the thought.

"Woaf is an adorable name. Cutesy, even." Franchesca quoted from their earlier talks. She shot the professor a knowing glance as Oachkatzlschwoaf, like cats tended to do, moved on to the next most interesting thing. The bright orange figure crossed the mantle, a hint of a bounce to her steps as she came to nuzzle comfortably against Wolfgang.

It was a picturesque little sight, a fine man sitting adjacent to the flames with a cat just as bright preferring to warm itself by the touch of her owner rather than the heat of a hearth. Franchesca's expression shifted to something a little more intense, taking in the details as intimately as she could. She had an idea for her second painting... perhaps even the painting she would submit for admission into Wolfie's after school session.

Franchesca turned away and began to quietly fumble with her fingers. She remained smiling though, the sound of rain coming against the roof and the crackles of the fire accompanying a familiar and comforting silence.

Four days now. Franchesca had only been to school for four days. Professors were just wrapping up handing out syllabuses and she was already this involved. Involved in things she knew she would be safer off if she had just turned away. But would it be better? She looked sideways to Wolfgang and her mind raced to thoughts of finding Rafael. It was chaotic but in that moment it felt... right.

Like life just wouldn't be right if things were any different.

Thom and her were going to find Rafael. Whatever way possible--she had to believe that. As for the professor? Well, only time would tell what would happen between them and this... odd relationship they had. Franchesca's gaze drifted elsewhere, to a window that stood against the storm outside. Another flash of lightning struck, beautiful... but just a warning of the thunder to come.

"You still haven't eaten dinner." She noted, only looking back at Wolfgang when he responded. Franchesca smiled lightly.

"You mentioned dinner back after class ended. If you were thinking about eating then you must be pretty hungry right now."​

• Love
The cat fell like a lump against the side of his thigh, and Wolfgang, in a state of complete absentmindedness, brought his hand down to scratch the feline's ears. The purring only grew in volume, somehow managing to be heard over the raging of the storm outside. His gaze softened, his eyes cast to the floor, where long shadows dances with the flickering of the candlelight. Fire warmed his back and dried his clothes almost entirely, leaving a fresh curl in the locks of his hair, turned orange by the light.

For a moment, he was wrapped up in pleasant thoughts. Nothing of any consequence—not memories, or dreams, just thoughts. How nice the fire felt, how the pain subsided behind his eyes, the softness of Woaf's fur as his rough, calloused fingertips moved through it in long strokes. He made no comment back to Franchesca on the matter of the cat's name, but the soft tug of a smile at the edges of his lips showed he listened. The dimples deepened in his cheeks.

The growl of thunder, followed by Franchesca's voice, pulled his attention from the rug. "You're right," he agreed. "I haven't eaten yet." In all the chaos, he'd nearly forgotten he'd been hungry until she mentioned it, at which time a sharp pain hit him near immediately.

With one last scratch to the cat's head, he moved to stand, grabbing his empty tea mug as he went. "Are you telling me I ought to be pretty hungry, because you are?" he asked, reluctantly peeling himself away from the fireplace to make his way into the kitchen. Making anything complicated felt like too great an effort, though he had sliced meats, cheeses, and a few vegetables, which could come together to make an easy, effortless sandwich.

"If you'd like, you can make yourself a sandwich before you go," he paused, cocking his weight on his heels and glancing towards the windows, which still rain white with rain. The rain hadn't lightened up at all. If anything, the storm only became more menacing, more intense. Lightning spires danced in shorter and shorter intervals, until one was flashing every few seconds, and thunder rolled without pause.

Having heard the refridgerator door open, Woaf hoped down from her perch and scampered into the kitchen after Wolfgang, meowing incessantly and sitting herself down at her bowl. The bowl was not empty, but contained only dry kibble… and nothing of particular interest, like wet food or a drop of canned tuna.​

"My hunger is in no way related to me expressing concern over your well being. " Franchesca retorted with a measured amount of disbelief in the way her eyes widened and the crossing of her arms. As he had she came to a stand, her clothes mostly dry with the exception of the edges and tips. Was it possible that the thought of getting home both saddened and appealed to her at the same time?

"Though... the idea of a sandwich right now sounds really good." Franchesca mumbled afterwards, her sideways grin coming to form as she followed the professor into the kitchen. She stayed a few paces back--walking alongside Woaf if anything. The young woman took the opportunity to glance at all Wolfgang's memories along the way.

She had seen in news articles and pictures all that throughout her childhood that Wolfgang Reiter was an attractive man... but there was something different about seeing him in the photos he chose, the photos that he relished enough to have them up on display. Was this how he pictured himself? How he remembered days long gone by?

For a moment she wondered if any of the women in the images she passed were the one. Franchesca decided it wasn't her place to wonder.

Stepping into the kitchen, Franchesca chose to stand a little bit off to the side. Her arms remained crossed but her eyes became focused on the details. Like she had back in the studio, Franchesca seemed willing to take in all what his house was willing to offer. She looked at Woaf and later on to Wolfgang and motioned for him to begin.

"I'l take you up on that offer and be on my way." Franchesca told him steadily despite the rain howling outside. Woaf's relentless mews were enough to redirect her though and suddenly she came to stand next to the professor by the cupboards. She eyed the drawers but made no move to open them as Franchesca was a great deal of things but never outright rude.

"It looks like Woaf wants a little more than what she's getting." Franchesca mused lightly turning her head to him but not completely. Her focus remained primarily on the cabinets "Do you have any catnip or leftover meat we can mix in there?"​

• Love
"Ah, so it was mere coincidence, was it?" he asked back, playfulness playing a note in his tune as he went to pull out makings for sandwiches. How odd it would be for him to ponder the concept of a student—eating a sandwich in his home. How strange it was to know there was a student in his home at all. Only once before had another student been in his home, but that was a different type of situation entirely. A bike accident on the sidewalk just outside his house, and a bloody nosed student desperate to find paper towels.

Franchesca was there sipping tea from his mugs and standing in his kitchen as he made her a quick and light dinner. In some ways, it felt familiar having someone over. He used to entertain a lot back when he was living in Austria. Lavish, exclusive parties with finger sandwiches and cocktails, followed by conversations on things like Rousseau. The sandwiches he prepared for them were much less dainty. The fillings weren't prepared by famed French chefs, and the crusts remained intact. The plates he pulled from the cabinet were not remarkable pieces of art, and the sandwich wasn't sliced into triangles.

Instead, he handed her a plate of a representative toasty. Nothing remarkable, but he did so with a pleasant smile.

"Sit wherever you like, or not at all, if you prefer," he said. "I don't have rules about eating in my house. I eat wherever I damn well feel like, and you're invited to do the same." He figured she'd probably want to go dry out by the fire some more.

The cat meowed, standing up and growing impatient, she worked herself between Wolfie's leg. Purring, she rubbed against his trousers and flopped over his feet, nipping at a loose string on the hem. Desperate, she batted at him.

"Ah, so I see," he agreed. Setting his own plate down for a minute, he found a small pouch of tuna and emptied it into her bowl. "She's luck you're here. I've gotten quite good at the ignoring her."

Woaf fed and voraciously chowing at as much food as she could get past her lips, Wolfie picked up his plate once more and idly wandered back to the lip of the fireplace to sit.​

• Love
"But you don't believe in those, right? You mentioned that back in the classroom as well, if I recall correctly. Nothing escapes me, Wolfie." Franchesca grinned. It wasn't a disillusion or prideful boasting, in reality a great deal of things escaped her notice and she knew that, but Franchesca had always been the detail oriented sort.

The young woman accepted the plate from the older man with a gracious, if not surprised, smile. She hadn't expected the professor to go out of his way and prepare her a sandwich as well... but only because he had said as much when they were first walking to the kitchen. Still, Franchesca was glad to have something warm to eat and watched Wolfgang with great amusement as he gave in to Woaf and herself alike by sprucing up the former's bowl.

It should come to no surprise that Franchesca eventually followed him back into the living room. With her she brought a roll of paper towels that she casually set down on a side table. The young woman ended up settling down not too far from where she originally sat. She took a bite out of the sandwich, the expression back when she first drank his tea mirroring itself in that moment.

Wiping away at the corner of her lips, she looked up and at the professor. "Could use a little bit more salt next time around but solid effort, Wolfgang." A laugh escaped her and Franchesca was quick to shake her head and clarify. She swallowed, her face softening ever so slightly as she expressed her gratitude.

"I'm kidding of course, but... thank you, really." She told him calmly, the plate coming to rest on her lap while she spoke. "For letting me come inside, feeding me... and just taking care of me I guess. I really appreciate it."

In reality the last of her words were for all the days she had the pleasure of knowing him. He had played a big part in making the past four days manageable, perhaps the biggest and she wanted him to know she wouldn't hesitate to acknowledge it.​

"You're right, I don't believe in coincidence," he remarked, his eyebrows raising ever-so slightly, impressed by how much information she retained. "It seems nothing does escape you. I should be more careful about what I say in your presence. God knows you may try and use it against me later." He bit into his sandwich and ate politely. There were few things in life Wolfgang rushed… running through rain was one, but eating was not. He ate slow and deliberately, enjoying the act of eating more than reducing his hunger. He appreciated food, because there hadn't always been food available on the dinner table.

"Well," he began again when he finished one bite, "I should let you know that when I was really little, I wanted to grow up to be a chef. My mother, when she cooked, would allow me to pull up a chair and add spices and herbs to my canned soup or spaghetti-O's." There was a certain painful tenderness his eyes took when he spoke about his mother. It was the same look he inherited when he'd explained that she loved him—but only from a distance, like something in their relationship was left unresolved, and her death would leave those strings dangling forever.

He shook it off within moments, though. "I'll be sure to take your notes about the salt. Thank you for your candidness." He knew she was grateful and he didn't need to hear it, but when she began to clarify herself, he couldn't help but smile and feel the warmth of the words.

Too many people in the world rushed on and on without consideration for others. Too few times had he heard 'thank you,' in any language, or 'I'm sorry.' He never expected civility, but when he did hear it, he seemed to bloom like a flower in spring sun.

"You're very welcome," Wolfgang replied. "I hope I can make your transition to Italy a little easier. It's not easy moving to a new country and starting over, knowing few people, and even less customs."

Many foreign students dropped out and moved back to their native country after only a semester, or a year. It was a hard transition for many—jarring, life changing—and too many were not equipped to handle it. Franchesca was lucky to have her aunt so close, but that couldn't solve all the problems.

"It must be especially hard for the freshman this year with all that is going on with Rafael. Speaking of, has Antoine spoken with you yet regarding his brilliant stroke of genius idea?"​

• Love