Legend of Renalta 2: Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protector Yuri
Tuleria, Unto the Breach

There had been a moment of inner conflict, when Yuri realized half the party would stay behind, when she had had to choose between staying behind to protect her more vulnerable allies from the assassin, or support Toorg and Filomena in the charge she herself had dictated. She had chosen the charge, and now the group was decisively split in two, the large melee separating them from each other.

She could only hope that the others could handle the assassin. For now, she had to focus on the sorcerer and her scorpions. And quickly, for she could see the vampire preparing another spell. Yet those scorpions stood in the way. The three of them could divide their attention, two going to either side, the third going through the center, but that would put each of them at greater risk. Unable to help each other if other surprises awaited.

If only the others had followed, the party would have been so much stronger than their pieces. Imperium soldiers were trained to work as a unit, but of course, these weren't Imperial soldiers. They were a mismatch of the strange and powerful, each dramatically different in their approach to problems. And perhaps it was time to take that to heart.

The sorcerer's spells and influence made the scorpions, the other assassin, and even the fighting demons more dangerous. The faster she was taken care of, the better. Sheathing her sword, Yuri held her shield with both hands and looked to Toorg and Filomena. "Distract the scorpions," she said. "And Toorg? Throw me."

Toorg looked around after he had dealt with the demon that had jumped him. "Toorg smash monster man to pulp. Toorg don't like monster men, he want monster men to go from forest home" Toorg said to himself, feeling proud and confident in his ability to give a demon a "bad day" to say the least . What was left of the demon soldier that challenged him was now just a bloodied pulpy mess in the Tulerian sand. The large Ent slowly turned around, seeing the magic of the Sorceress conjure up two large scorpions. He had never seen bugs as large as that before, but he kept his towering, tough composure as he marched forward, to catch up with Filomena and Yuri.

As Yuri gave out the orders to distract the two large scorpions, Toorg responded in kinda with a nod. "Toorg will smash bugs. Toorg hate bugs, especially big'uns" He stated, cracking his knuckles, almost ready to brawl.

It was Yuri's next order that intrigued him. She told him to "throw her", he gathered that she meant him to throw her at the Sorceress, and thus cocked his head to the side with a quizzical look. He was sure he could toss pretty far, she was relatively smaller than his own size, lighter too, plus he knew himself that he was strong. "Toorg will throw shield lady. Toorg used to play with cows on a farm, toss them into the air and catch. But one Toorg tossed too high came down and brok'ded its neck. Toorg doesn't play with cows no more." He explained, a tone of slight sadness evident. He looked to Yuri, a playful look as he then grabbed her. "Toorg can THROW GOOD!" he shouted as then threw Yuri with all his might and strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abjaar Korsair - Renalta - Heart of Madness

[ * ]
Abjaar only offered a curt nod when Mikan chose Cen over himself for the infiltration mission. It was a minor thing for him to be rebutted, and at least Mikan had given a half-decent reason. He was unsure if his Anti-magic was quite potent enough to blank the concentrated effort of one who knew about it; the discussions he'd heard always said that was a level of anti-magic that was a level above his.

Still, it hardly mattered, as Mikan and Eric took apart the three guards without even involving Cennick or Murderok, not for lack of trying. It seemed odd that such untrained individuals were guarding the ruin: had they caught James off guard? It seemed like the only real reason for such a lax defense. In truth, Abjaar didn't mind if the foolish Illusionist made things this easy. Hell, Mikan had even managed to capture one of the 'guards' and that meant interrogation. Abjaar was uniquely skilled at interrogating people, but Mikan would no doubt be at least as good, if not better. Sadly, he doubted that any member of the party would let him near the prisoner. Abjaar suspected half of them would try and lift the prisoner into the ranks of the group before they let Abjaar try and pry answers from him.

It never got that far though, as Zin used some strange power to force the man to speak the truth. The giant slaver shuddered slightly at the thought of such mind-altering magic. It was one of the many things he wished to avoid by learning Anti-magic. The very thought of losing your mind to someone else's will was unsavoury, to say the least. Still, despite the distaste for mind-altering magics, he watched unblinking, focusing on what the man said with a mind full of questions: Greater purpose? Fifty-to-sixty? Why on earth would you drag fifty-to-sixty untrained people through a swamp? It was a logistical nightmare, to say the least. How many had they lost on the way here? How many would they lose on the way back?

The words of the Wyvern-riding woman were interesting to Abjaar, because of how laced with arrogance they were. What kind of warrior did she think herself, that she could shrug off fifty people with only 7 people, a Wyvern and a Spirit wolf? At best, they would have at least 5-to-6 people to deal with each and that didn't include the Orcs, or the spells of a man who literally invaded the capital of Renalta, reached the centre of it and got away with it.

No, charging in was suicide, even more so if they were attempting to spare lives. They needed a different plan...

"The way I see it, we have a few options. Either way, I recommend we send my grandfather's spirit ahead to scout; we stand to gain a lot while risking very little." After that, he turned to Franchesca. He recognised the woman already hated him, but he didn't care. "If no one has a better idea, I would suggest we use the Wyvern as a distraction for the fifty untrained individuals when we are ready to attack the illusionist and the Orcs. If the group sees something like that, they would probably soil themselves before they fight it. I also suspect they aren't here as fighters at all, but perhaps as sacrifices to this 'Greater purpose. Also, if I am wrong, the Wyvern is likely best equipped to outrun a horde of fifty.'

Of course, he half-expected his plan to be rejected because 'No, I won't listen to the ideas of slaver scum.'

"Grandfather, can you go on ahead? Come and find us if you discover any useful information."​

Filomena
Tuleria, Unto the Breach

"Ma'am, yes ma'am!" Orders change. Tactics shift. Commanders are... thrown.

Unorthodox comrades called for unorthodox strategy.

I pivot, shift on shifting sand, melee all around, and scorpions my new target. I am the next turn of the maze. These monsters will not stand against me. I rotate the hammer in my grasp, and move in.

I am the wall that they break themselves against. They will not climb over. They will not dig under. They will not ignore me. Even their monstrous minds will know fear.[/hr]

Kingdom of Liveria – Ancestral Bonds
Rayvon Krayvitch

Rayvon's interest was aroused by Gabriel's words about the sword. She finds her feet faltering and slowing and soon, turning off from the others in the gloom of the cave system as she feels almost compelled towards the artefact. She looks over her shoulder, back the way she had come, nervous about what she was doing, but rationalizes in her mind that if she left such a thing here it would be used with only the worst of intentions. Besides, it was but a few moments. She would catch up with the others, especially with the guidance of her uncle to speed her way.

Haruuk looses a faint whine as she follows after her, ears laid back flat. "I know, but we'll be right back with them, girl," she mutters lowly as she enters the treasury and raises a hand, willing a flicker of light from her palm to be better able to see.

As her gaze roams over the trove, she wonders at the trove within and the articles cast within that apparently were able to be classified as treasures by those of orcish nature. She grimaces, feeling a prickling of her skin, Haruuk releases a whimper and she looks back to see the wolf not stepping within the room. She shudders, the burning wrongness within the room mingling with that of the angelic artefact, setting her uneasy and bringing to the forefront of her mind the strain simply being here.

She hurries, deciding it best not to tarry as she spies the sword at the top of a pile further back. The Aasimar makes her way across the room, picking her way carefully, avoiding contact with anything lest she make contact with whatever was so wrong in this room, and finds herself having to climb for the sword over a pile of orcish hoard.

She grasps the hilt and wriggles it free, armor glimmering with the light blue aura cast by the sword that was being suppressed by a silver scabbard. Rayvon feels comforted in contact with the blade, but still presses on to drag the hand-and-a-half faster from the depths of the treasury and whisk herself away and back after the group. In her mind she hears a faint questioning from her uncle and she acknowledges a need for his eyes to ensure the way back was still clear as she hurries the way the others had went. On her way, she loops the blade to her belt alongside her own.

As she approaches up, she draws her cloak tighter round herself to mask the glimmer of her armour in the lowlight and peers into the area with the others. If they had noticed her absence, so far, none had spoken up as to it. She thanks small miracles, only to find her stomach twisting into knots as her eyes alight upon her and she catches on to what the orcs were saying. She looked different. Something had happened to her in their time apart, but what, she could scarcely know. All she knew, was that it was Andrea whom she laid eyes upon now and the only thought in her mind was to help her.

Catching on to the end of the conversation, Rayvon whispers to the others, "Helene, they'll go after Andrea if any craziness starts to happen they can't explain. If you could occupy one of the orcs closest to her and assist her, I would be ever grateful." She furrows her brow, trying to channel the raw magic and struggling to shape it to her will in order to undo the bonds upon the drow from afar to coincide with the start of the fight.

Goblin Holds – Antiqua Scientiam
Maeven Lucre

Maeven thanks the lowlight for hopefully making her flushed cheeks less apparent, so caught off guard by the Amazonian woman but lets a smirk play over her lips as she dazedly takes a moment to survey the map. She blinks her eyes and attempts to process the information she just got before speaking up herself, "Aslo is right. No offense, but I like to have the odds in my favor and you said this place reacts to me. I would think that might be in our favor. If we get to the goods, maybe there will be something there I can kick and wake up."

Kingdom of Tuleria – Unto the Breach
Arkos Cernunnos

With a billowing shout, Arkos instructs Otto, "WITH THE OTHERS, TEMPLAR!" Their predicament was far more precarious, he decided, and with the help of the Templar, they might be able to disrupt the fell sorceress and give them a better chance against this assassin. "We are not the prey. We will fight, like a pack, together, and have each other's backs. We do not let the dead one through." He gives a fierce grin as he channels a defensive spell of sand covertly, ready to snap it into place as he holds his body ready to spring to counter any assault with glaive in hand.[/hr][/hr]

Imperium~Doctor Gremlock

The goblin slowly followed the procession, wary of the being's motives. The being seemed to be rather suspicious of Gremlock as well, leading him to worry that he may be right about the whole "goblins were enslaved back" then notion. Eventually, they reached a series of five doors, upon which the being asked them a riddle, meant to root out the people of Gault from among the Imperium. Fahim had thankfully chimed in with an explanation of what Gault was, a barbarous people that the Imperium of old apparently hated.

With that in mind, he held his peace. However, Sonia had broken the seal of the Imperium writ and had asked the others a question, to which Gremlock replied "I really doubt a modern writ like that is going to fly with the apparition, assuming it can read it at all." More worryingly, it seemed that she had tried to summon the Imperium soldiers with that. Gremlock's blood froze, was she really going to risk the viability of the mission by summoning Imperial scouts? He opened his mouth to rebuke her, but stopped and said nothing. After all, it was he that had originally suggested Nyla and Umano come along, though that was more to have a witness of the scene than anything else.

On the matter at hand, he puzzled out the riddle in his head. This riddle perplexed Gremlock for a little bit, until his mind came upon something. What was the purpose of this test? To make sure the Gault "spies" died a horrible death while leaving any authorized personnel unharmed. To that end, the riddle was likely that of something which the Imperium cherished and the Gaults, or at least the stereotype of them, despised. He told his companions, keeping his voice low to keep the spirit from listening in too much "Well, I think what we have here is simply a spy test. If we get something that the Gaults hated, then I think that's the most likely answer. Going over them one at a time: Power seems silly, as barbarians tend to treasure that. Bravery would probably be valuable in a soldier, but again that's a likely Gault trait as well. Unity jumps out at me as the most plausible answer, as it is something even the Imperium of now treasures. Justice is another good one, though kinda iffy as any half decent society needs some of it to survive. That said, it is rather difficult for a soldier to have justice, since that implies free will which...based on what I've heard of military isn't generally a desirable trait. Perserverance I'd say would be the best answer after Unity. I'd probably just enter the door labeled unity and if it happens to be a trap then...well we should be able to survive it I'd imagine." Gremlock gave a wide grin at that last statement.

Murderok: Renalta; Heart of Madness

---​

Murd cursed under his breath as his weight slipped and his shot went wild. "Gods fuck it in the arse, i've waded through corpses with surer footing than this forsaken place." He listened to Abjaar and snorted. "Fifty or so people aren't a matter of any significance." He remarked as they caught up and were briefed. "If they're closely packed an explosive bolt will do most of them in."

He checked the faces of each of his comrades pausing on Franchine. "These bottom-feeders are working for the man responsible for an assault on Renalta, for the man who killed Mikan's child. There will be no mercy for these, there are no innocents in such company and anyone who believes otherwise is dangerously deluded. The only thing to regret about their deaths is an inability to spare the time to give them a proper, drawn out, send-off."

Daevon: Goblin Holds; Antiqua Scientam

---​

Daevon floated quietly considering his comrades words and opinions before voicing his own thoughts after taking the time to collect them into a cohesive whole. "The first mistake we could possibly make is to assume that the Mortar shot is the product of the daemons or other enemies from above. Places like this? We would be utter fools to believe that its creators did not emplace measures against it, add onto that fact that it's a facility that can supposedly provide a limitless source of Golems and, well lets be honest, there is every possibility that the Daemons are the least threatening things we'll find down here."

He paused considering his next words carefully. "Consider it, the attack was drawn by the light, and while I am no daemonologist I think it is fair to say that were the daemons the ones behind the mortar shot they wouldn't have needed the light to spot us and attempt an assault. Moreover if it were Daemons, and were I them, I would have not waited for a party to enter the 'facility' but instead used the mortar to seal the entrance the Goblins created to gain entry. No, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see so much as a scale, hoof or horn from the daemons."

He paused once more. "IF I designed a place such as this, what we're looking for would either be hidden in plain sight or concealed in the most unlikely place. But I'm not sure it could be concealed so easily."

Elrithos - Dream of an Empire - Imperium/Amazon
-----------------------
The long-lived spiritual entity seemed to be satisfied with the answers that part of the group gave to it. It was already a good start. The elf of the desert followed along with the entity without hesitation, as he understood that whatever it was, it had the purpose of guiding those who were seeking the documents to the right place. If it was truly so, then they had nothing to worry about. All they would need to do is stay true and give the spirit what it wanted for them to receive what they wished. Though, one had to wonder if they were going to be walking into any kind of trap installed by the previous creators of this structure.

The team was brought through the halls of this ancient place, Elrithos' eyes on Fahim for the most, waiting for him to signal for any trouble. He gave nothing back, which seemed out of place. Was he not able to detect what was out there? Or had it simply gone away? It would be something to watch out for.

The group finally ended up in a large room, one that Elrithos couldn't help but do full circles around himself to try and take all of it in. What was this place made for? The door came to view and then the pedestals. The spiritual entity explained the situation, added with Fahim's information. The answer came to Elrithos' mind nearly instantly. There wasn't even anything to hesitate about. They were talking imperial soldiers.

He turned to the team, having Sonia breaking the seal to her scroll… was that the Imperial scroll? Why would she do this? Elrithos simply gave the woman a curious gaze, as if to wonder why she did such a thing. The explanation they received only made the elf shrug. Making people appear out of nowhere who were no initially invited into the ruins would be dangerous, even more so when they needed to avoid help of both the Imperial soldiers and Amazons (exception being the guide). "We are here to collect the documents, Lady Sonia. Not them. We should not burden the Imperial soldiers unless we absolutely need them." This was a case that they didn't need them. It was tests. Most to which they could probably be able to complete without a problem.

The Goblin had started talking and Elrithos, being a little rude, left the small circle of people and marched towards the pedestals. Why would there be any hesitation on this? He stepped right in front of the one marked 'Unitas' and pulled on the lever. He wasn't even afraid of what was to come, not a doubt in his mind that this was the answer.

Aëyr
Tuleria, Unto the Breach

Their team had split far faster than she had anticipated, leaving her momentarily at a loss for tactics. However, with an assassin fast approaching, she had little time to think on what she should have done.

Pulling Quar closer to Arkos, she positioned the three of them back to back, with no room between them for the vampire to appear. Seeing Arkos preparing something big, she figured it was up to the other two to keep the assassin distracted. Addressing her elvish companion, she quickly described what she was looking for—something to surround them, a blockade, spinning projectiles, something that would keep the assassin from teleporting directly in front of them.

Aëyr herself took it upon herself to continue trying to hit the assassin as best she could, flinging stones in the hope that though she might not be able to hit her target, by keeping her mobile she might at least wear down the adversary.[/hr]

Sheriff Cennick "Cen" Greenborough in Heart of Madness

Cen slowly trudged behind Mikan, swamp water filling his boots and staining his immaculately polished armor. Though the fetid air had already done a bit of damage this little dip had all but destroyed any sense of pride he held in his appearance. In a less trying situation he might have lamented this out loud, somehow finding a reason to blame the slaver for this inconvenience, but instead he simply contended with his signature scowl, creasing what little bit of face Cen had left. Finally making it their quarry Cen could barely comprehend the series of events that transpired, Mikan had taken out a man in an instant and another dropped by virtue of their human artillery. Before he could act it was all over with their flirtatious assassin perched on top of a live prisoner, this stirred something inside him and provoked unprofessional thoughts. So flustered was Cen that when told to calm down by Mikan he replied with, "I'm ready to get excited." followed by a mild sense of panic and his remaining cheek flushing red. He had a sudden urge to get on with with the interrogating and forget what he just uttered.

Something suddenly struck the Sheriff as odd. James, a man analogous to a minor god, trusting random untrained bumpkins to guard his not-so-secret lair. The entire situation screamed of skulduggery, but he decided to hold his thoughts until the prisoner was properly questioned. He would have preferred to have done the interrogation himself, it was one of the few things he was good for outside of outright stabbing folk, but he couldn't argue that magic wouldn't get the job done faster so he simply let the illusionist do her thing. Besides, going in on the poor man all fists and threats might legitimize the slaver for his own round and he didn't think any of their number would be happy with that.

"So what'cha gonna do? Beat him? Rip his throat out with your fangs?" Cen turned to Eric, the man had seemed of stable mind up to that moment. Maybe James' magic was already getting to him? "...with a little bit of vampiric persuasion." He really didn't need this right now, the member of his party he had the most respect for; modest, compassionate and right headed; was apparently a vampire. His mind burned at the possibilities that presented, the dangers that information held and, most of all, how ignorant he was in not noticing it earlier. It was something to be dealt with later, he drew a deep breath and released, more important things were afoot and he had to remain focused on what was at hand. The situation already reeked of offal, adding a little more shit to the pile really didn't effect things to much. Despite this, Cen still took a generous step back from his undead ally before listening in.

What was revealed was almost as useless as it was perplexing. Fifty to sixty extra schmucks and a the few orcs they already knew about. He let the information roil as the others discussed potential plans, essentially boiling down to some-what stealth and and a full gung-ho assault. Both had their merits, but both failed to take some things into account.

"James is no common street magician," He suddenly spoke up, epiphany flowing, "He's not stupid, he's not going to do something for no reason. The guard's were not inexperienced for no purpose, they are common men, weak willed and easily manipulated. James expected someone to come for him, why wouldn't he? He's not exactly subtle. He put these men here to be captured and interrogated, fully expecting them to break and tell all, purposefully misleading us. We have no reason to believe anything our prisoner here has to say, for all we know those fifty-to-sixty men aren't real, Hells, our guy here only joined because his late friends did. He probably doesn't know anyone else. Where in the hells would James get fifty men anyways? We're in the middle of some horrible death swamp." Cen paused to catch a breath. "I'm thinkin' the best we can do right now is send grandpa wolf down there, not just for scouting, but to set off any traps. I doubt he'll be a useful scout anyways, 'less his spirit eyes can see through James' magics he's only going to report back what James wants him to. I figure our best bet is to simply step carefully, stay together and eachother's backs. Question everything you see, if anything stands out as odd report it to everyone, maybe someone else can confirm it's real or not. Abjaar should take the front," The sheriff tried his best to sound professional as he said that, but the disgust in his voice was audible, "'Perently you have some resistance to magics and that might make him useful."

Satisfied with his rambling speech, Cen looked about for anything else that needed to be dealt with and spotted it, the prisoner. He smiled a cruel smile and rummaged through his pack, producing a pair of manacles and a length of rope. "You might prove useful yet, lemme tie you up right good and we'll pick you up after we're done here." Cen's tone was like that of a friend, as if he was doing the man a favour.

"Naraem... You shall have your own revenge." -Esyllt, Page 6.

Kingdom of Renalta - Heart of Madness

The wolf looks back at Abjaar with an amused looking grin, exposing his fangs as he sits in front of the temple ruins. "I don't think you understand why I called you an idiot earlier, so let me reiterate... You brought me to help guide you through the swamp. I am bound to that, and that task is now done." He lifts a paw and points towards the temple ruins. "I smell nothing in the room ahead, though the scent of the swamp is quite... Overwhelming." His amusement remained, though his ego did seem almost injured by being called 'grandfather wolf' by more than just Abjaar. Yet it seemed that his task was at an end, and Eric glared at him before spitting into the muddy water at his feet. "Leave it to a Free Holder to worm their way out of a deal." The wolf chuckles, then growls suddenly, causing Eric to step back in surprise before the amused look of the wolf returned.

Mikan looks between the members of the group and sighs, scratching the back of her head. The wolf was out of the picture, and there was much to respond to now. There was a strange lack of insects in the area, but then there was no guarantee a large number of them could survive with the way that the time distortions moved. It was at that point that she looked down at the ferret, swimming around in the muddy water with a look of dissatisfaction, that her eyes seemed to light up with plans. "Alright... First!" She picks up the ferret and stares into its beady eyes for a moment before pointing down into the ruins. "You, over there. Come back if its safe. Okay? Okay!" The ferret nips her hand as she tosses him towards the ancient ruins. As he climbs into the ruins, he shakes himself out and disappears. Mikan blinks in confusion, then looks back to everyone in the group. "Okay. Well. Assuming I didn't just send a cute fuzzy thing to its horrible, agonizing death, Cennick makes a fair point that we don't know what's really inside. It's nice that we got to interrogate this prisoner, but he seems to know very little, even when under a hypnotic gaze. He may have even been fed false information. This does wreak of a trap, he must know that we'd come after him after what he's done."

Mikan glances with concern towards the entrance of the ruins: No sign of the ferret yet. Eric looks uncomfortably around the area, suddenly paranoid of the invisible dangers all around them. Mikan then smiles reassuringly, and looks to Franchine with surprising sympathy. "I wish that taking them in alive was an option, but you gotta understand that they chose the wrong side. Most of us are using weapons that are inherently lethal, we don't have a choice. Like it or not, there will be blood on our hands before this is over, but I think I'm speaking for everyone here when I say the price is worth paying to put down the man who threatens the peaceful lives of every man, woman, and child in Renalta... My home." The last word almost seemed foreign to her as she spoke it. Eric smiled ear to ear as he chipped in. "You're a Rheinfelder ma'am! You're always welcome back to our kingdom." Mikan shakes her head, though smiles nonetheless.

Finally, the ferret returns from the illusory entrance and hops back into the muddy water, paddling around in circles at the entrance: It was safe. Mikan walks over and picks up the ferret once more, petting him underneath his chin. "Good job little guy." Looking up at the entrance, she then looks back to everyone else. "If he could slip in and out safe, that means we proceed with the plan." Stepping up and out of the muddy water to the edge of the illusory entrance, she glances back at Cennick. "Oh, and as for you... Stay alive, and you can have all the excitement you like tomorrow." Winking flirtatiously and giggling, she steps through the illusory entrance. Eric shakes his head and follows cautiously. "Slutty Frauen. Seltsame Magie. Shitty Sumpf. (Slutty women. Strange magic. Shitty swamp.)" Sticking his hand through the illusory border, he pulls it back quickly, uncertainty filled his every movement as he looked back at anyone who hadn't passed through the illusory border yet. He gulps, and then steps through.

On the other side of the illusory border was a ball room of a strange design, distinctly foreign. Despite the exterior of the ancient ruins being made of stone, the interior was made of wood, the kind that Abjaar would recognize to be fireproof, and from distant lands either far to the south or from across the sea. Looking around the room with awe, Eric tapped the floor with one of his boots. "Is this really real? Like, really? For real?" Both Cennick and Zinnarath would be able to discern that the environment around them was, indeed, completely corporeal. It seemed unlikely to be made naturally, however, implying that someone created the room they were standing in with magic. Above their heads, a chandelier illuminated the entire room with candles that seemed to burn on for an eternity, and in the middle of the large chamber was a table with four cards. Mikan walks over to the table first, being wary of traps as her legs tensed, ready to leap away from any potential harm. Instead, a voice spoke out through the room. A strained, male voice, that took a moment for the group to recognize as the infamous James the Illusionist.

"Hello my darlings. I am James, the Illusionist, and I knew you would come to step in my domain. As you can see, I am busy, and thus cannot entertain you with a show right now-- Agh." Strained, and in pain. "However, let it never be known that I'm a poor house guest. Before you are four tarot cards: The Fool, The Empress, The Devil, and Death. Turn two of those cards on their side to disqualify them, and a doorway will appear. After all, all four would probably kill you instantly, and I am merciful! Defeat that challenge, then defeat my Knight, and my life will be in your hands... Should you happen to reach me before I'm finished with my magnum opus. Should you not, and you will be first to witness... A miracle made manifest by man." Mikan's hands ball up as she looks to the group. Neither she or Eric had any ability to understand the choices implied by the Tarot cards in front of them. "I'm still here, you know. You can ask me questions. I swear, I won't bite, unlike the Queen's bitch of a wife." Eric coughs uncomfortably and glances at the Death card, adjusting his collar. "If we play this game, let's not pick that one. Oh, and, um... This is a trap, obviously." James' maniacal laughter can be heard throughout the ball room. "If you so believe it to be a trap, then return from whence you came. Run back to your whore Queens, back to the decapitated remnants of the child I left stained across a bedroom! Please, let me finish my work, and show all of you how foolish and naive you are, to be chained to Amanda's puppet strings!"

As Mikan's child was brought up, her smile faltered, and the look in her eyes went cold. Not enraged, simply cold. Murderok, Cennick, and Abjaar would recognize it as the eyes of a trained killer, suppressing their emotions to remain in control. Everyone else would likely see it merely as pain. Eric on the other hand glances at Murderok, anger in his eyes. "Can I have a sip out of his skull mug when we're done with him?" Mikan looks up at the ceiling, her tone was cold. "Where are the rest of your men?" The response was equally cold, though Zin could detect a hint of regret in James' tone. "You're standing on them."

Imperium/Amazons - The Dream of Empire

As Sonia opened the scroll, the spirit appeared to shimmer for a moment. "A strange ability." It remarks plainly. It would likely take a couple minutes before the scouts would reach their location, despite their quick pace. Fahim turns to answer Armerza's question, only for Veira to gasp and Sonia to feel a sudden reaction as Elrithos pulled the Unitas lever. Veira, with Sonia's help, managed to erect an arcane barrier to protect themselves and most of the group just in time as an explosion triggered from the pedestal. Several pieces of shrapnel rip through Elrithos, instantly ending his life as his internal organs are ripped to shreds and the heat of the blast burns his skin instantly. The shrapnel is stopped by the arcane barrier, but only barely as Veira ends up falling to her knees to maintain it.

As quickly and suddenly as it started, it ended. The other four pedestals were remarkably intact, but there was no doubt as to what would happen to them if they chose wrong, as the dead body of their comrade falls limply to the floor. Veira gazes with utter despair as the arcane barrier fails, causing her to drop her wands and slam one of her fists onto the ground as a few tears managed to escape from her eyes. Sonia would be able to feel that Veira was highly fatigued and wouldn't be able to defend them all again if they chose wrongly again. "He chose poorly." Fahim gazes with mild confusion to Veira's crying, then looks up at the spirit. "No, really?" The sarcasm was thick in his voice, though the spirit held no reaction. "You could have tried warning us about the traps." The spirit replies coldly. "No Imperial would make such a rash decision: Your reaction is questionable."

Finally, the Imperial Scouts arrive, eyes widened at the scene before themselves. It was a trio: One veteran, and two younger looking men following him. Fahim looks at them and quickly asks a question. "What is the most valued attribute of a soldier in the Imperium?" They each answer differently: One answers Unity, one answers Power, and the most veteran among them answers with a confused look. Fahim then looks at Armerza. "They were a multicultural power that spanned over multiple, small kingdoms. They were more akin to... A nation of nations, rather than having a singular identity beyond being the protectors of the mortal world. At least, that is the historical Imperium. I haven't a clue what the modern Imperium tends to purport beyond their vague 'Dream of Empire'. I have yet to read literature on that subject." One of the younger Imperial Scouts lights up, speaking quickly and seeming to stumble over every second word. "It's the dream of one day uniting everybody together under the Imperial cause! Mutual protection, using the best attributes of each nation and person!" Fahim looks back to Armerza thoughtfully: He likely had an idea of what the answer might be, but he still wasn't certain himself.

Kingdom of Liveria - Ancestral Bonds

As Rayvon returns with her new sword, Elrbetrt's horse snorts. One of the orcs looks up from his work cleaning the slab, and immediately points with a look of surprise. Zoe swears under her breath and aims up to the right, heavily armoured orc. "We act now!" Kasim and Zoe's arrow and crossbow bolt both fly true to their marks as Elrbetrt begins her charge in sync with them. Zoe hits the heavily armoured orc on the right in the shoulder, pinning him to the rock wall behind himself momentarily before he rips himself off the bolt. The orc on the left meanwhile is struck in the throat by the arrow. Reaching down, he rips the arrow out and growls, though dazedly steps forward: Remarkably he was still standing, but he was having severe issues breathing, and was in no real state to engage in combat.

Elrbetrt's charge ends quickly as her lance impales one of the cleaning orcs in the chest. The sheer mass of the orc combined with her own blindness and the unsteady, cavernous floor causes the horse to go tumbling and falling from the impact. Elrbetrt falls onto her back, hearing the injured orc growl as he climbed atop her, blood rolled from his open chest wound. He was going to die, but it appeared he was going to choke her to death first, or crush her head. Except, just before he could, he is pulled off of her by the other orc. "I AIN'T NO COWARD!!" The second orc bellows: Laenaia's spell had worked, though it had been delayed momentarily. The second orc had the first one in a choke hold, in a berserk, uncontrollable rage, leaving Elrbetrt an opportunity to get to her feet.

As all of this goes on, the princess slumps over. Laenaia would be able to feel a magical presence in the air nearby, and Kasim would feel a momentary brush of a soft but cold hand on his cheek as Helénē possessed the orc with the whip. His movements suddenly become rigid and unnatural as he drops his whip and walks over to Andrea, pulling a key ring from his waist and unlocking her manacles. Though she would feel weakened, it wouldn't take long after the fight was over for her magical prowess to return to her. "I am struggling to maintain control. This one is resisting. If I grab you, break my leg. Please don't kill me. I don't think my father could live with my death at your hands." Andrea would be able to sense the familiar presence of the Liverian Princess occupying the orc's form.

The three orcs along the wall were stunned by the level of teamwork and precision during all of this, though the roar of the heavily armoured orc on the right shakes them back into line. The three start charging for Elrbetrt as Gabriel moves rapidly into the chamber and pushes over the nearest stone slab a few feet from the entrance, giving them cover if they wanted to advance from the throwing axes of the orc on the right. He speaks with a bellowing tone. "I AM KRACLAW, AND YOU WILL ALL DIE UNDERNEATH MY HEELS!" He unsheathes both of his throwing axes, preparing to throw them at someone, though he seemed skilled enough with them to not reveal who his target would be...

Thus, to summarize: Three lightly armoured orcs with shields and axes were charging down on Elrbetrt, who was down on her back with her horse several feet away on its side. She had just enough time to get up before they would reach her. The heavily armoured orc on the left was stumbling, barely managing to stay coherent, and while Kraclaw was injured it didn't appear to be slowing him down. Kraclaw was still several feet away, though he was eminently aware of Zoe and Kasim's positions. Four orcs remained ready to fight after their round of surprise. To their left was Andrea and the possessed orc, to the right were the three charging orcs, and straight ahead of them was the approaching heavily armoured orc. The stone slab Gabriel knocked over is a few feet behind Elrbetrt, a few feet further behind the slab is the entrance to the breeding chamber.

Goblin Holds - Antiqua Scientiam

Unamo looked at Child and nodded in agreement with her sentiment, although she did seem less confident when Daevon offered his input. Nyla, on the other hand, agreed with Aslo's thoughts and without a second hesitation, took the lead. Several minute of travel, with Unamo limping along near the back and Nyla watching for trouble, yielded no additional threats as they traversed across the small city. It was strange how the large cavern hadn't collapsed in the entire time that the city had likely been abandoned for, and spoke volumes of the mysterious engineering techniques of the Mechanists.

Still, after several minutes of travel, they reach their destination on the map which Nyla had managed to memorize earlier. There, they reached the mouth of a couple hundred foot long stretch of road wide enough to fit six wagons side by side. At the opposite end of that road was a building slightly larger than the others around it, standing five floors tall, with a clock embedded inside it just above the doorway that was still ticking away. The time on the clock was illegible, made of a language none of them could understand, though Maeven could feel their meaning: They were instructions. "Only those of Mechanist blood may open these doors without conflict. The Guardians will not stop until this happens." Before Maeven could warn her allies, Nyla stepped forward onto the road, and the road beneath them shook as two mighty, metallic, humanoid golems stepped out onto the road from out of sight. They were each fifteen feet tall, and while they were slow moving, they appeared to have a rather decent level of agility and flexibility. They stood in front of the door to the building, and while wide enough to have full coverage of the large street, had enough space between their legs to make it a viable option to simply attempt to slip past them if they were distracted by something else.

Esyllt would be able to tell that they weren't sophisticated in intelligence: Any sort of distraction, so long as it appeared threatening enough, would be able to get their attention and allow people to slip underneath them. The golems did not move from their position as of yet, though Maeven felt they would both have an especially violent response towards her, or anyone else who gets within fifty feet of them.

Nyla looks back to Aslo, then glances at his bag of rats with a thought. "A swarm of small, hard to hit things might be useful, if you could get them onto one of the golems, the other might start attacking it to kill the intruders. At the very least we could measure their intelligence, figure out how effective they are. What do you think?"

Kingdom of Tuleria - Unto the Breach

As Yuri is flung over the scorpions towards the vampire sorcerer, Filomena moved to engage them. Four pincers against one person however is not particularly solid odds, even as Toorg moved in behind her to back her up. The scorpion to her right moves in and gets her attention long enough for the scorpion on the left to take advantage of Toorg's slower speed to attack Filomena. One of its pincers wraps around Filomena's left leg, though before it can apply enough pressure to take off Filomena's leg, Toorg attacks and crushes the scorpion's free pincher with both of his fists, causing it to skitter backward and only rend into the Tulerian's upper thigh instead. It was clear that the two of them alone wouldn't cut it. Immediately behind them however, Otto Kastner moved up the sand dune: Panting with his blade coated in demon blood. "STAY ON YOUR FEET, SOLDIER!" Otto yells at Filomena, as she would find it difficult to remain standing with the profusely bleeding gash on her leg.

The two scorpions separate, giving each other about ten feet of space between them to force their prey to turn their back on one to fight the other. Though the scorpion on the right was rather cautious with its left pincher, which appeared to have a cracked exoskeleton where Toorg struck it. Its empty eyes stared up at Toorg as it hisses angrily.

Yuri, on the other hand, landed only a couple feet away from the sorcerer. Before the sorcerer could react to drop her spell and flee, Yuri managed to swing and cut open her side. Backing up a couple feet, the sorcerer was bleeding profusely, and suddenly squinting as though the sunlight was harming it: Yuri had inflicted a mortal wound on her. Still, this didn't stop her from raising her staff wordlessly, to try and hold Yuri in combat for as long as possible.

Meanwhile, as this is going on, Aeyr, Arkos, and Quar would find themselves close together. As Aeyr flung another stone, the assassin began to charge. The difference is, this time, the stone struck its target: In the shoulder. Had the vampire been a normal person, that would have stunned them momentarily. As the assassin bolted forward to cut them down, she licked her lips and laughed. "THE FISH DIES FIRST!" Arkos' sand defense ends up slowing down the assassin a little, just enough for Quar to raise a ball of vines around them to protect the three of them from the charging assassin. This did not, however, prevent the assassin's blade from penetrating the ball, and instead of hitting its intended target, the blade firmly impales itself in Quar's abdomen. Flinching in pain and gritting his teeth, he closes one eye and then twists the vines around the blade. The assassin recoils as the ball of vines drops away, causing her to be reduced to one dagger. Quar, meanwhile, falls to one knee, blood soaked his shirt quickly as he looked up at the assassin with one eye. "Vampire... Aim for the eyes and blind her. We can kill her easily after that... Well... You two can." Blood seeped from the corners of his lips: He wouldn't last long unless he could focus on healing himself.

The skirmish was going well for the buccaneers: Given another minute or so, they would be the clear winners of the fight as the demons struggled to maintain their numbers.

Kingdom of Liveria - Ancestral Bonds
The Chains that Bind.

She woke, opening her eyes and suppressed a groan at the ache she felt all over, standing upright like this with her arms above her head in these chains. She gave them a little yank, hearing the chains clatter against the rock wall, she knew she could not break free from them so she did not even try, she had contemplated but then discarded the idea of intentionally breaking her thumbs to slip her hands through but she couldn't get a good angle to do it. Say what you want about these Orcs they had practice with chaining up captives. She glared as some of them came into view, who would have thought these hulking brutes would venture deeper into the tunnels of these mountains, clearly her people had not been around these parts in recent times, they should know better than to skulk so close in the dark where all kinds of horrors lie in wait.

Though was it boldness or did someone or something drive these Orcs into places they had no right to be, she clacked her tongue, thinking about it all might lead to nowhere but it's all she had. Outnumbered she had been overpowered easily on her own, Huil having scampered off to hunt for nourishment in a side passage moments before she encountered the Orcs. And then... these cowards didn't even have to guts to take advantage of her, she smirked a little to herself as she thought about that, then again they probably were worried what she might do to them if they dared to try... that and she had heard them mention that she was being saved for someone 'special'. Well that just made her feel all the more 'special' herself, but dreadfully bored to the point she was contemplating of just using some magic cantrips just to get some kind of reaction.

She looked down and snorted, too cowardly to take advantage of her but not to have her wear this torn piece of fabric they called clothes that basically left nothing to hide.

She turned her head sharply, she had heard her snake whip hissing. For a moment she smiled as she recalled one of the Orcs trying to wield it... she wondered if he had died already from the poison when her lovely pets had repeatedly bitten him when he tried to command them. Her lovelies seemed agitated for some reason, excited almost but she could not surmise why they were. The hairs on the back of her neck rose up though, something was going to happen, perhaps a opportunity at last.

Something did indeed happen... and it was complete chaos in her eyes. Projectiles flying from the entrance towards a Orc. A horse charging... and falling, one Orc choking another. She heard something drop and turned, one of the orc overseers had turned to her and was approaching her, she gritted her teeth and then frowned as she saw the keys in his hands and him reaching for her manacles, freeing her. She dropped down to her feet and took warily a step back when it spoke. "I am struggling to maintain control. This one is resisting. If I grab you, break my leg. Please don't kill me. I don't think my father could live with my death at your hands."

She blinked rapidly when she sensed a familiar presence and couldn't help but snicker a little. "My, my... the little bird is flying away from her nest so much-"

"I AM KRACLAW, AND YOU WILL ALL DIE UNDERNEATH MY HEELS!"

She turned and saw the rather fearsome orc warrior and then looked back to the Orc possessed by a Liverian princess. "May I suggest to just charge the loudmouth there, screaming you are going to kill him and then just release control I hardly doubt I can physically hurt these Orcs... not without my lovelies or magic." She was saying as she backed away, away from any of the fighting and trying to keep low beside and behind the scattered stone slabs. If she could reach her whip... or find some... materials to work with using whatever magical strength she had left she might assist in whatever was going on around her but for now, staying out of the fighting and keep herself in one piece seemed to be the more important thing to do.

Sonia - Imperium / Amazons - Dream of Empire

Gently, Sonia rerolled the spent missive and returned it to her waist, replying absently to Armerza as she did so, "I know what I'm doing Dwarf." Then Gremlock spoke as well, voicing his own thoughts and revealing a face of disapproval at her actions. To his comment she replied, "I wasn't expecting her to read it, I was expecting to summon the Imperials," She fidgeted in place and looked at the darkness which surrounded them. The guide appeared to respond to the missive, but she herself felt nothing and began to doubt the missive had worked at all.

Then Elrithos chimed in as well. Lady Sonia he had named her, and she found herself amused by the title yet flattered by the gallantry. In response the corners of her lips raised ever so slightly and she spoke "The soldiers may give us the right answer." Though she thought she already knew the answer herself. Gremlock then began to voice his thoughts, to which Sonia found herself in agreement. Yet, as he spoke the nomad parted from the group and imperiously approached the pedestal of Unity, and as the Goblin's final word rang in the air Elrithos brought the lever down with an assured pull.

She couldn't remember much of what happened after, only a sudden, blinding light, an ear piercing crack, and the feeling of warm air rushing to them. In that moment she felt energy expelled from Veira and instinctively her hand darted under her waistcoat and clenched the turtle charm. Only having a feint idea of the spells intention she fed her own power into it. It had been a shield, and the blinding light an explosion. The rush of dust and debris expelled from the blast stopped at the barrier and a fog of smoke clung at the edges of the arcane wall. When it had all settled she removed her hand and shook it, cooling her palm. Pads of leather were sewn into the clothed gloves, and while the leather was charred, the skin underneath had been protected. Upon use the Turtle charm had burned like fire, the intensity of which attributed to the strength of the blast. Her eyes darted to Veira and it came as no surprise she had been exhausted by the effort. Sonia had only carried a small weight of the spell, yet the charm had seared her glove.

Then she saw the corpse. Elrithos lay dead, his blood beginning to pool around him. She frowned at the sight and stood in silence for a moment, then sighed as her face returned to impassiveness. As she approached the corpse, the spirit remarked upon the decision. "You can be silent now," Sonia snapped in response. Bits of entrails stretched across the floor, carried from the body by the piercing shrapnel. When she stood next to the man she crouched and examined the carcass. "I'm sorry for this," she muttered as she removed her gloves and began to delicately pat down the body. Elrithos had brought something they might need, and soon she found it. She withdrew the item from his person, stood and held the blood vial in her now bloody hands. Cautiously she placed the vial in a pouch at her waist, mindful of getting the blood on the rest of her clothes. Then she returned to the group as she unscrewed her water skin and washed her hands clean before refitting her gloves.

As she returned, the Imperial Scouts arrived for Fahim to question them, and to her dismay they all gave different answers. She had hoped they would offer the solution, but she was no more certain now then she was to begin, far less so in fact. She pondered the idea that their separate answers could mean all the choices were correct, but she pushed the thought aside not wanting to be the one responsible for another wrong guess. "Puzzling," she began, "I would of thought Unity to be correct." Then she looked over the remaining pedestals and then to Gremlock, "Not much of a chance fighting through that."

As she went to Veira's side she withdrew the turtle charm and held it in hand. There was no telling how much good it would do, probably not much, and using it unaided against another blast like that could very likely cause the charm to melt through her hand, but if they guessed wrong again maybe it could keep a few of them alive. One thing was certain, Veira was in no condition to help for the next round. "Quick thinking," Sonia praised as she stood by the woman's side, unsure if her own soft spoken words would be heard through Vieira's gentle sobs. She spoke a little louder, "You saved us."

Suddenly she felt abashed that she had called this all a game.

Imperium/Amazon
An explosion. Quicker than thunder and lightning half as devastating, snapped shrapnel through the dusty air of the tomb. Minstrol cried out and threw her arms in front of her face. Realizing she hadn't died, she lowered her arms and stared dumbfounded as a piece of shrapnel was floating within a field an inch from her face. The jagged piece of metal stood in time for a moment, then clattered to the floor. Minstrol stared dumbfounded, casting a glance to Veira who was sobbing, who had saved their lives. When she saw Elrithos, her heart dropped into her chest. One of the last of his kind. Dead in a tomb, of all the ironies.This feeling faded almost as it began, replaced by panic and sharp, short breaths.

Sonia casually it seemed searched through Elrithos gear. Minstrol felt a pang of loss, watching his equipment fall into the witches hands.

The Imperium scouts arrived, giving no certain answers. She liked the greenhorn, he had the gall to actually display a thought. That was more than she was expecting for the lapdogs of the infernal Imperium.

Breathing deeply, Minstrol tried to reign in her anxiety."No more levers!" she hissed through clenched teeth. "We're going to use our big, fool brainbox's and think!" she looked around wide eyed, the walls closing in and every corridor being home to vicious machinations. "Maybe it's all a lie!" she pointed an accusatory finger to the illusion, "Pulling the lever's what that thing wants us to do! Look at, it's gettin' its jollies and a half out of us."

Liveria - Kasim

Kasim dearly wished they had gone with the horse distraction plan that might have ended with the beast getting killed, but wishes couldn't fix a botched ambush. The horse prematurely alerted the orcs—and Kasim couldn't help but take a moment to wonder who in their right mind would bring a horse to a stealth mission and into a cave, though of course the blind knight wasn't exactly a role model for sensible behavior to begin with—but things were going mostly well anyway. His arrow had struck true, right into bis target's throat, and although it was rather astonishing that the armored orc was still standing it did not seem like he'd be a threat to them. The blind knight was down and in trouble, even though Laenaia's magic had two of the orcs occupied, but that was only to be expected from someone who would ride a horse at charging speed on such uneven terrain. Kasim was a bit startled by the cold touch on his face, like a ghost's caress, but seeing the orc with the whip going to free a prisoner and a quick glance over the shoulder to see Helénē slumped over were enough for him to finally figure out what it was that the princess could do. It was extremely impressive, but also a bit terrifying at the same time.

After assessing the situation, Kasim decided the biggest threat was the armored orc that Zoe hadn't been able to incapacitate. Those axes looked pretty deadly, and Helénē was an immobile target that the orc, Kraclaw by his own naming, could probably see. The others were in danger too, of course, but they would have to fend for themselves. Hopefully Kraclaw had a healthy fear of the bow after seeing his companion take an arrow in the throat and having a bolt in his own shoulder, because that was all Kasim had to make himself seem a threat.

After making sure he wasn't directly between the armored orc and the princess' helpless form, he stood tall and drew another arrow, requiring no thought to make the long-practiced motion. As he did so he called out to the orc to get his attention. "This one's coming for your throat, Kraclaw, just like your pal over there!" All the while he had no real intention of shooting, hoping simply to goad the orc into throwing those axes his way due to the perceived threat. Kasim watched the orc closely, focusing intently on dodging out of the way of the axes. Hopefully that would give Zoe a chance to reload to finish the armored orc off, and the others could go deal with the orcs rushing their downed companion. If nothing else, at least it would make Kraclaw a bit less of a threat by way of wasting his ranged arsenal, and that would leave the Blades with clear ranged superiority that could be used to clean up any orcs left standing.

Renalta - Zin

The strange room and the predicament presented by the cards on the table were rather worrisome, but Zin's attention snapped immediately to the last bit. "You killed them? Dozens of men? Why?"

"I needed fuel for my manifestation of genius and these men volunteered themselves to the cause!" He spoke callously, then coughed in a manner that struck the vampire as being unhealthy. "Besides, they were all wanted criminals. It was either helping me, or being murdered by the vicious jackals of a public judiciary committee that remembers quite freshly my prank. At least my way was quick and easy, and worthwhile."

"You sound like a man trying to convince himself, not one explaining his rationale." Zin glanced over to Mikan, weighing her words, and she decided that James had already done whatever damage might be caused. "A prank? You call that a prank? Are you some kind of clown? An entertainer of children? You murdered people. You murdered a child. You're plotting out even more murder. You speak as if you have some heroic cause, freeing us from chains, but how can a child murderer be a hero?" She almost left it at that, but at the last moment she added another question to the tirade. "And what do you have against Amanda anyway?"

There was a pause. It seemed James had to think for a minute or so before responding, which caused Mikan to start listening intently. James spoke once more, but his tone sounded far calmer than expected, given his meglomaniacal reputation. "Well. Fine. If you must know, that woman that keeps to the back, that doesn't speak often but has great power with your Queen... Is a time traveler, you see, and--oh, I can already tell, you think I'm crazy. Hahaha, well, yes, yes I am, but, see... You're all puppets. She knows already, what lies in the future. She can see it! Change it! Twist people to do things she wants!... All I want is to solve a mistake I made years ago. A mistake that I would pay any bloody price to fix, but which she constantly interferes with, and forces me to use genocidal methods... As for trust... You're standing in a room with a slaver and an assassin, and you ask if you can trust a child murderer. How humorous."

Mikan looks to Zin, thoughtfully. "Yeah. Amanda does travel through time, but she can only go forwards so far as I know, and she ages like any human nonetheless. She could be immortal, yet she has chosen not to be." James chuckles. "She's lying to you." Mikan rolls her eyes. "Says the man who made it his profession to lie."

Zin shrugged. "The gods were banished and now demons are trying to take over the world. I don't have a hard time accepting the idea of an extremely powerful mage being capable of travelling through time." She looked around the room, trying to see if she could figure out where exactly the Illusionist's voice was coming from. "I don't think you're crazy for that, I think you're crazy for believing that mass murder is a reasonable method to solve your problems. Sometimes doing the right thing requires distasteful concessions, and you were quite correct to point out my not-quite-chosen companions in that regard." She very purposely avoided looking at the faces of the other Blades, not wishing to see their reactions to the indirect insult.

"However, the end does not always justify the means. You are not a raving lunatic, else we wouldn't be having this coherent conversation, so I have to assume you're capable of rational thought. You want to fix a mistake, you say. That's no evil or insane goal. I think I may even know the general shape of your mistake, given the great lengths you are going to in an attempt to fix it." Zin softened her voice, partly an intentional act and partly an expression of real compassion she had for this wounded man who had done so much evil. "Who died, James? Who are you trying to return to life?"

Looking around the room, Zin would be able to spot conspicuous looking, small holes all around the room. They held the same colouration and texture as the walls around them: Optical illusions, but magical in nature, which Zin could perceive and understand through her own methods. "Three children you know nothing about. That is beside the point, though. That wasn't my only objective, but it's all I have left. Nonetheless, you seek your justice, and I won't stop you from having it if you can reach me. Now pick your fucking cards already, I'm in a much less amused mood now."

"If that is how it must be." Zin's shoulders slumped at this unfortunately brusque end of the conversation. She'd thought she was on to something, that perhaps she could talk James away from his murderous course, but that was clearly not the case. Just minutes prior she had been certain that James was simply a madman, a subhuman murderous monster, but now... He could be called evil for what he had done, but she hoped redemption was not impossible. Whatever the truth of the circumstances, James had noble goals in mind, to return children to life and to free people he saw as slaves to a manipulative tyrant. He was not simply a homicidal fiend, and that made a world of difference in Zin's mind. She wanted to save him, from himself and the Blades, but that seemed nigh impossible now. She glanced over the cards on the table and spotted the obvious choice to make. As she looked to her companions they would be able to see her anguish clear on her face and hear it thick in her voice. "Death and The Fool. It seems thematically appropriate."

Toorg: Tuleria

Toorg was pretty proud of himself right now, the success of throwing Yuri over to the strange Sorceress, plus saving Filomena from one of those giant Scorpions was yet another thing he "did good." Toorg turned around, hearing the voice of Otto, giving out the command for "stand up." Toorg was confused by this, a weird thing to say to someone if they are already standing. Toorg looked at Otto with a smile. "Toorg help shield lady, Toorg throw her far and good." he stated, seeing the Scorpions move to each side of both himself and Filomena. Toorg then turned his attention to the healthier scorpion, deciding it would at least be a wise move for Filomena to focus on the injured Scorpion. Slowly lumbering towards the arachnid, Toorg focused carefully, ready for a fight against this creature. "Toorg hate big bugs, Toorg make you squish, Toorg smash you" Toorg said, his tone getting louder, and more harsher. He could hear the hiss from the scorpion, his eyes narrowed. "TOORG WILL DO IT! TOOOOOOOOOORRRRG!"He roared. His voice was both loud and thunderous as he gathered momentum and charged head on against the scorpion.

Abjaar - Renalta - The Heart of Madness

[ * ]
Upon entering the room, Abjaar had kept a hand on the haft of his axe the entire time, ready to swing and strike at whatever assailed them as they entered the temple.

What they found was profoundly-untemple like, and left Abjaar more confused than worried. With so much power, why had James been so content to leave them alive? He was toying with the Blades, and once again Abjaar felt the same discontent as from when he had dealt with Sarah Darkhammer. He was a pawn in someone else's game. "Damn the old gods, I hate this."

Abjaar remained silent as listened to the Illusionist weave his tale, and then as the vampire insulted him and goaded him. In a less tense situation, the Slaver might have rubbed his temples at the way that the Vampire seemed to push every button that might make the situation worse. Did she not even think of consequences? How did she think it smart to piss off the man who not only help every clue they needed to solve this blasted quest, but who was also actually intending to hold back some of the trials he could unleash, in order to make a game of this charade.

Even worse, the Vampire made a statement that seemed as final as it did foolish. What evidence did she have? What methodology had she used, other than that stupid, emotional brain in her head? This damn illusionist was a megalomaniac. He had definitely left clues here, because he'd want to rub them in the face of the Queen's Blades when he proved himself right.

Abjaar, not really caring for how the situation had turned from at least somewhat amiable to hostile and short tempered, stepped past the other members of his 'not-quite-chosen' trope and strolled to the alter and the tarot cards. It seemed that the slaver was unconcerned with the backhanded insult of the vampire, as he proceeded with business as usual. After all, his entire journey thus far had been non-cooperation. At this point, even being mentioned was like a hidden blessing…It showed that they at least deigned to acknowledge his existence.

Abjaar examines the cards. He would find that, upon close examination, The Empress appeared to have features similar to what Abjaar could only imagine was a younger Kouri. The Fool had features of a person nobody was able to recognize. The Devil appeared similar to that of Sloth's Child: A Prisoner in the dungeons of Renalta. Death, on the other hand, looked big enough to be an orc.

Taking a moment to dwell on the imagery, ignoring the fact that the vampire had given her choices based on a fleeting conversation fuelled more by emotion than logic, Abjaar dwelled on some of his travels. Post-Chainhold, he had spent more time than he'd like to admit moving about with travellers and vagabonds. Mostly, he took their company because they travelled cheap, and asked few questions, but in truth, they made interesting enough company. Most groups of travellers would have some gypsy or fortune teller who tinkered with the fates and most of them carried a deck of Tarot cards. He had been shared the details before about the meanings of the various cards, but more than anything, he'd learned that the importance of the cards paled in comparison to the importance of the theatrics of their wielder. If nothing else, James struck him as a theatrical man.

"Mikan, can I borrow your mind for a moment? The Empress card, it bears a resemblance to the Queen of Renalta, but I can't be certain. Do you have names for any of the others on these cards?"

Mikan walks to Abjaar's side and leans over the table, examining each of the cards closely without touching them. "Yeah, I see what you mean. Empress definitely looks like a younger Kouri, it'd make sense, James travelled with us for a short time when we were aiming to take down the Gods before he ran off to do Gods know what and was left behind." She looks at the fool and shakes her head. "I have no idea." Her eyes then wander to the Devil, and she nods, recognizing the facial features. "Sloth's child. Prisoner in the dungeons, Queen's Blades captured her during the Arian Village incident. Ingenius use of baking goods by Draza, I read the reports. I even tried interrogating her once, but, there's nothing of use there for me." Her eyes then wander to Death and she raises an eyebrow in confusion. "Dirge, maybe? Except Dirge is his knight, and he specifically said that Dirge was a second barrier we had to bypass..."

In the background, chuckling could be heard. "Ooh, I like it when people try to read into my genius! Just makes me shudder with glee." Though James' voice still held hints of strain, it seemed that he was doing a little better now.

Abjaar notices the different tones of the illusionist and struggles to hide a small smirk. He didn't like the idea of pissing off the man who held the puppet strings to a small illusory space and who had at least two other variants of death at his beck and call which he was, currently, holding back. "Greetings, James. The Slaver, here, I am curious about some of the mechanics of this…" he paused, not wanting to use the word 'game' in case he took it as some sort of insult. There was clearly an ego here: an ego that could be worked to some degree. "…trial. It is likely safe to assume our choice will affect what you hope to kill us with, but I would like to know, will we be facing one trial which fuses our choices, or two trials; one representing each choice?" He was hoping to get the illusionist talking, if only in the hopes he might let something slip. Hell, it never hurt to make kind words with those you fought: especially considering the troublesome news that one of the Queen's consorts was a time traveller. If nothing else, it was clear that James knew things: Important things, powerful things, things worth knowing. Abjaar had grown tired of playing witless pawn in the games of much more powerful people. His meeting with the assassin had taught him this much.

"Of course, I would understand if you didn't want to share your secrets: I just hope to grasp the scope of the mind we clash against."

"Hahahahaha!... That would ruin the game. I'm not foolish enough to engage you in idle conversation... I've made my introduction, if you missed the play, that's such a shame." James did seem at least amused by Abjaar's inquiries.

"You make a liar of my dear old mother: She always told me that flattery would get you everywhere." Of course, this was a thinly veiled lie. Abjaar had no conscious memories of his mother, it just seemed best to play the character out fully. In truth, he was pondering heavily the options presented by the new information. The Empress card seemed like the strangest one of the pack, because Kouri was an ally to the Queen's Blade's cause. It was also the only challenge that he'd dare make a guess at, if pressed. "I hope you don't mind my inquiries, Illusionist, but you strike me as a fair man, if nothing else." He almost flinched at the thought of how Mikan would react to the comment. He hoped she recognised that Abjaar was merely playing the game, but considering her…personal circumstances, it would be understandable if she resented the comment. "If I were to make a guess at the contents of one of your challenge, and I guessed it right, I imagine you would hardly lie and say I'd got it wrong, correct? I ask because I hope to grasp at the mind of a worthy opponent, and if I am able to think like you, then I am certainly one step closer to matching you."

Mikan didn't seem to reply to the comment or show any visible turn of emotion, merely watching the situation play itself out as she strolled away from Abjaar's side. James chuckles. "I am hardly a worthy opponent to you if you cannot figure out four Tarot cards. I won't solve the game for you."

Abjaar shrugs, knowing that the conversation would likely go nowhere else. If nothing else, James was a consummate professional and a paragon of his craft: after all, a magician never reveals his secrets. Instead of dealing further with the illusionist, Abjaar turns to the group. He might as well share his thoughts and deliver his input. "If I had to make the choice alone, I would pick the Empress and Death. I don't want to touch anything that I know nothing about, which is what the Fool brings: complete mystery and anarchy. The Devil is some sort of demon child I know little about, but unless any of you are secretly carrying around sugar and spice, we would likely struggle against it."

"If I were a guessing man, The Empress trial will be an illusionary manifestation of the Queen, from when he travelled with her. Death is…harder to guess. As Mikan says, it is unlikely to be Dirge, as James himself stated he would come after: maybe it will be his sons? Or perhaps further illusions? I remember mention that Dirge claimed notches the first time he met the Queen's Blades…Perhaps remnants of those?"

Taking a moment, Abjaar raised his steel-clad fingers to his beard, stroking it in thought. "Still, my choice would be those two. I would only say we should stay far away from the Fool. Do you share any thoughts on this Mikan? Rheinfelder?"

Mikan and Eric both seem not to have anything to add at this present time, likely waiting for input from the others.

Abjaar pouts at the silence, wishing that one of the two had spoken. It made sense that they didn't: After all, it would influence the quieter ones of the group if one of the 'leaders' spoke. "Any thoughts than, my fellow not-quite-chosen?" At this point, he turned to the vampire, offering a half-smirk. He wanted her to know that he cared little about the insult, but he was hoping to perhaps make her think about her words a bit more. After all, she had directed the insult at him without even sharing a conversation with him. So far, the Vampire had been more willing to talk to the illusionist, a genocidal child-killer, than Abjaar himself.

Aëyr
Tuleria, Unto the Breach

Quar had just taken a potentially mortal wound to protect her.

Unacceptable.

She sheathed her sling and pulled out one of her three daggers, holding it defensively in her left hand as she stepped between Quar's injured form and the assassin. "You missed me," she called out to the vampire tauntingly. Whether or not she heeded her challenge, Aëyr was ready to charge into battle to defend her allies. She doubted she'd be able to kill the vampire herself in such close quarters—her intent was to dodge any attacks thrown at her and, if the opportunity presented itself, take hold the assassin's knife-arm.

Hopefully, as the two of them danced and grappled with each other, Arkos might be able to take out the distracted vampire.

If not... At least Quar would be given a chance to save himself.[/hr]

Liveria - Ancestral Bonds
Laenaia returned to her body just as Helene left hers, at least that's what she thought judging from the magical presence and the princess' slumped body. Glaring slightly at the horse and its rider, Laenaia took stock of what's happening and considered what she could do. The loud orc and his throwing axes seemed to be more pressing concern, especially as its hard to judge who the orc was aiming.

Well, it's fortunate that she could take a glimpse at the orc's head and, hopefully, influence it. Focusing her power at Kraclaw, Laenaia nudged his aiming towards the charging orcs. Even if she failed to actually make him hit the orcs, it would still throw off his target away from her...and the princess.

Or at least delay him long enough to be finished by Kasim or Zoe.​

Cen had given up on the stealth option as he entered the temple, his sopping boots wetly slapping and armor joints grinding loudly. Not that it mattered at this point, James was clearly expecting them, but the warmth of silence was comforting and he felt terribly cold in his waterlogged mail. He clutched his sword in the manner a drunk might clutch his last bottle of hooch, strangling the the hilt and pressing it close. No telling what awaited them, other than it didn't murder rodents. Not too reassuring. He pressed through was immediately disappointed. A ball room? Was James just going to have them dance? Prodding the floor with his sword and giving the whole place a good look over. It was real. At least by his standards of reality, which was admittedly a bit shaky at times. A flash of panic overcame the sheriff as James' made his little speech, culminating in disgust at the revelation of the rooms true nature.

It was not just a pointless loss of life, but a horrible mismanagement of resources.

The vampire's attempt at empathy was laughable, not only because of her hypocritical value on human life, but the thought that James was anything more than a egotistical maniac struck as massively naive. Alas, at least she had some backbone. Abjaar's cowardly approach, while understandable, was frankly pathetic. "I just hope to grasp the scope of the mind we clash against." Cen could just sick. It looked like it was up to him to kick the nest a little.
He sheathed his sword and removed his helmet, resting it under the crook of his arm, approaching the table with a mask of confidence. The sheriff looked over the cards, garnering little that wasn't already said by the slaver. As much as Cen hated him, he couldn't fault the man for being a complete imbecile. Suddenly, a moment of clarity kicked Cennick in the face. James' travelling companions included a couple half-orcs, one of which... "Mikan, could you give me refresher on James' known companions?"

Mikan glances at Cen, her green eyes were thoughtful for a change. "He only seems to have a single consistent companion, Dirge. From what I managed to ascertain from certain friends, they were compatriots from an early age. They then left on a journey of some sort, and James returned with a callous disregard for life. I know nothing else about them, aside from Dirge's children. The fact that both are still alive after Kasim reportedly killed one only makes it more confusing..." She then sighs and shakes her head, rubbing the sides of her head with agitation. "Of course, he could, always, be boasting and lying about something he never did. That wouldn't be surprising."

"Death being Dirges formerly killed son makes the most sense at the moment. Though inexplicably bringing a friend's dead son back just to use him as fodder for some strange challenge seems a tad cruel." Cen paused and looked up at the chandelier, "Doesn't it Jimmy? That'd be cruel even for you."

"Ooh, Jimmy, haven't heard that one before." The sarcasm in James' voice didn't seem to hint at anything other than amusement. "I don't know, would I be that cruel? Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't. Maybe it's a bout of madness, maybe genius, who knows? Not you, and that's the point." His manic laughter rings through the room, and Mikan winces at the volume of it. After a few moments, the laughter subsides, and Mikan leans up against Cen to whisper in his ear. "Please don't encourage him to do that again..." She slips away from his side, and looks back down at the cards, analyzing them.

Cen's earlier suspicion that James was no idiot was confirmed, a proper non-answer that gave away little. He was tempted to throw some insults or maybe a flat challenge at the illusionist just to get a reaction out of him, but Mikan was right, further taunts would probably go nowhere and might just hurt more than necessary. He reigned himself in and returned to inspecting the cards, the fool still remained completely unknown. Not that it really mattered, they could just go ahead and choose two of the other three cards and it'd be completely irrelevant anyways. However, Cen wasn't prepared to surrender to a madman's game so quickly. A fool could be a lot of things, originally Cen assumed it would be something related to knavery, someone who hid behind the guise of a fool to hide there true selves. Or maybe it was just a literal idiot, but neither option yielded any obvious leads.

Cen through up his arms and sighed. "James thinks everyone's a fool, damn card could be anyone..." Another brain wave, "It probably is anyone, at least anyone 'puppeted' by that Amanda woman."

James chuckles, but his voice remains constrained, as once again something was affecting him in a way that seemed to hurt him. "Certainly. Anyone puppeted by Amanda at one point or another would fit that bill... Nobody you would really know."

That was probably the most clear answer Cen figured he could get. He re-donned his helmet and drew his sword, lazily bouncing the flat of the blade on his shoulder. He stood for a second in contemplation then stated flatly, "Empress and Death."

Status
Not open for further replies.