Legend of Renalta 2: Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minstrol and the Imperium/Amazonian Temple
Minstrol cursed aloud, and said bitterly. "Traps! Hate the lot of 'em, I do. Can't knock a brusher back before I took this, knew we'd end up half bound in chains and set beneath a swinging moon sickle."

When the illusion appeared, Minstrol looked at it like one would look at an actual ghost: in fear and utter bafflement. It spoke in words she couldn't comprehend, then in words she could understand that worried her.
Was it not aware of just how ancient it was? Fahim confirmed the belief and Sonia, the spellbitch, had chosen to inform the thing of its age. She felt some information hadn't been properly conveyed, so seeked to fill in the holes.

"By great darkness my love here means Demons. Somethin' about the heavens being under lock and key worldcrossing. Knockabout really, means the Amazons are about as likely to meet three trees with a ladder ifn't we find the damned thing."

She gave a forced grin that could be seen in the subtle shifts of her cloth mask. Her eyes seemed to express someone who had forgot how to blink.

Somewhere Else
Layali Kanaan walked through the sands of the desert, small and alone. The dunes seemed to move of their own accord. Out in the distance was an oasis, her destination, one hope among many. The last three had been mirages, but these seemed to have a sense of permanence. The sweltering heat did not fool her this time and as she shouted to the clear sky in rapture, she saw sitting cross legged next to the water a man in samite garment. She stopped and stared blankly at him. Upon seeing this whelp, too young to fare the sands he gestured gently to the waters, he said. "Drink, drink. The water is fine and I mean you no harm."
Layali looked to the water and took a tentative step. She shot a glance to the man, but he did not move. She proceeded to the water and took wild, ecstasy filled gulps. It took her all her strength to not vomit the drink.
The man laughed, reaching into a bulls bullocks pouch, and with open palm offered some red berries. She took these too, greedily.

"What brings you to the desert, my friend?" he said through berry red teeth, popping one after the other between statements. "Do you seek?"
Layali said, mouth full, "Seek?"
"Do you seek the Great Treasure?"

Layali tilted her head quizzical. "There are many in the tales, khalti."
The man laughed louder than ever, seemingly fueled by their light meal. "Ah, yes! True, true. I speak of the Treasure of Al Zinibar, do you know the one?"
Layali scoffed, "That's a child tale!"
"And you are but a child, are you not?"
She crossed her arms, "I am not! I've seen nine suns!"
"Ah, near to marry. Tell me, if you do not seek, what do you do?"
"I walk that way."
she pointed to the East.
----------------
In the streets of Sibon, Layali had made something of a trade treating the garments of Sheikhs. She found this mostly pleasant work and her ward, Najibah, treated her kindly even if she were brusque.

Najibah would often cross over to Layalis knitting table, curse loudly, and tell her to start over. At sundown however, she would be given a few coppers for her trouble and free reign for the rest of the day. This often left Layali in the streets, playing the beggar and running around with street urchins.

One night, a thin boy covered in only a potato sack said, "Look what I got!" In his hands were three shishkebabs. He beamed proudly.

Layali said, hushing, "You shouldn't be showing that! Who knows if the guards have heard of this."
The boy grinned, "Fastfoot Jeara never gets caught!" he gestured to his feet, calloused and leather like flesh. He tore a speared prawn away with his teeth. "Its fine, you don't want any I'll keep them all to myself. One day you'll be begging for my stolen shishkebabs!"
----------------
The city Sibon was caught in fire. Mages had cast far too much, far too quickly, and flames that torched stone spread quicker than a camel could race. Layali was hiding in a notch set in her garment house, where the wealth was hidden in a chest. Najibah had already ran off with the things, insisting that Layali could flee with her. Layali knew this was impossible, only she had seen the spirits of flame darting and chasing those who attempted to flee.

The Warlords who had called this fight had long since died on the field but none seemed to notice. Men with sharpened blades and hardened hearts cut man, women, and child with no discrimination. Even those who held mewling babes in their arms found no respite and blood ran freely in the sewers.

When the fires had passed, Layali left her hole. She was taller now, confident, but now afraid. This was another time for a walk, a long walk. She wasn't sure if she would have the luck she had last time.
A boy, fourteen suns of age, burst through the baubel door. "Layi..." he held in his hand two shishkebabs.
----------------
It was a dark night and those who had been there said things of shadow had moved through the night. A guardsmen with a half helm, thick of stubble and accent, barked, "Taslim says that in the night, he was assaulted by two vagabonds, who freed his slaves and raped his wife." he spat on the Earth. "Only the first part is true, I have no idea who did the latter. I think one of his slaves. Decide one for execution, it doesn't matter which."

Somewhere in a dark alleyway beneath a mosque, Layali hugged a woman in shackles, tears flowing freely and gentle laughter. "I never thought...I thought you were lost."
----------------
Layali laid snuggled in fine silks and let the gentle winds brush her face. Laughter could be heard in the streets of Mosul, a festival was about where many were fleeced of their belongings in gambling. Dice rolling, scorpion fights, duels, all of these things were out there. She wished she were old enough to enjoy its short lived joys, but her mother and father had left the guards in the modest palace with one purpose: keeping her in.
This time though, she had a plan. She'd found that a few sheets did as well as any rope and tied together enough to at least reach the tiles. From there, she could simply hop onto the stable roof and enter the streets freely.

It was not as magical as she would expect and everyone seemed much less friendly than they were during the day. There were a lot more blades too, hushed whispers, shouting. She lost her courage and returned home to the doors of her palace. But things were not as she expected.

Heads were split, bones were crushed, blood wet the silk carpets. She knew a few of these men, family almost. Then she saw torchlight flicking above her tower room. Layali never knew that palace again.
----------------
"Tell me." Walif the oasis man said, "What has two legs and never stops chattering?"
"A monkey?"
Layali said.

He laughed heartily, wiping a tear from his eye. "Yes, yes! You are my little monkey, you know?"
Layali frowned, looking out far West. She said nothing and Walif respected her silence. Crossing past caravans, hiding behind dunes when bandits passed by, it was many hours before nightfall. They huddled beneath a rock outcropping, a shrill wind blowing the cloth tarps that covered Walifs camel.

Walif broke the silence, "Sometimes, it is best to speak what is on our mind. You told me you walked, that is half the truth I feel. Who are you?"
----------------
"Who are you?" the man said, as Layali held a dagger to his throat.

"You...who am I? I'm the daughter of Basma Kanaan!" she dug the blade into his neck.

He cried out, "I don't remember that name! Please, let me go, and I shall forget you ever were here."
----------------
Layali washed the dirt and blood from her scabbed flesh in half of a barrel, filled with warm water and imported mint. Her neck shot to the door as a rapid series of knocks came from the shack she called home. "Kanaan! Are you there? We've come on behalf of Ghanaam. Flee and face death by our sword. Come willingly and face the Warlords justice."

Filomena
Tuleria, Unto the Breach

"Ma'am, yes ma'am!" The plan seemed sound. I would obey. We would be victorious.

Toorg is big. His push would knock foes down better than I could. As he moved forward, I came in behind him, butt of my hammer angled down, spike ready. Any that fell to him would fall to me, and never rise again.

Any that did not fall, would fall.

For Tuleria.
[/hr]

Liveria - Ancestral Bonds
Laenaia listened to the arguments on picking a path until Rayvon used her blood vial and summoned her ancestor's spirit to scout ahead. That would give what they need to come to a decision and it did, although it was worse than she thought. Breeding stock, the vampire hissed under her breath.

"....I have no objection in taking the right path," Laenaia snarled, showing her emotion before she quickly reigned it in with an embarrassed cough. She followed the group, letting the more combat able on the front.

Kingdom of Tuleria – Unto the Breach
Arkos Cernunnos

With the rumble of explosives, Arkos tenses and holds his hand out to the walls of the tunnel, drawing the sand to his body as it solidifies into plates of rock with gravel to protect his naked flesh. An animalistic growl leaves his throat as he holds his glaive cocked just so in his hand, cautious and muscles tensed and ready to spring now with the sounds of battle coming. The words of Otto set him at ease, some, to hear that it was their own forces, but it was still so foreign upon his ears that were only used to the sound of mountain and forest airs that it could only be expected that he would be a beast alarmed.

His bottom lip curls back, though caged as it was behind bone and sandstone as light shines through, but that was before the young man charges foolishly forward and finds himself injured. He offers a warding wave of his hand in passing, well avoiding Otto's anti-magic aura, lest his armour falter and disintegrate about himself. Instead, he scopes the battle field, tensed and ready to spring forward like a predator upon its prey.

What he sees, though, baffles him at first, but his eyes do manage to catch one thing. A woman begins to draw magic about her and her presence begins to fade away. Arkos raises his freehand and summons forth the power of the earth to bind sand and grit to her in a layer to make her presence known in reflex, muttering beckoning words to coerce the difficult sands to cooperate as he feeds a small, steady stream of magic to empower his words. He could only hope the spell would hold true and the sand would stick, as now that she was out of sight he was relying upon his sense of magic to trace her presence and bind it to her.

Goblin Holds – Antiqua Scientiam
Maeven Lucre
As they travelled, Maeven was silent and took up the rear with Fafnir. The dragon's gaze briefly flickers to her, sconces narrowing upon her before flickering away and a puff of steam huffing out. Maeven's eyes remain fixed upon Unamo in the scarcely lit gloom as she attempts to not stumble. She was liable to be in pain, so much pain, but they were so close to the source of the attack, it may be best to not make much noise.

Still, she finds herself moving closer as they come to a stop. She watches as Unamo begins to heal thanks to Daevon's magic. She looks thankfully at the strange crippled man before shuffling closer to Unamo, upon her knees and reaching carefully for her hand and murmuring, "Hey, don't scare me like that… You can't go running around getting yourself into trouble like that, otherwise, I might just have to turn into some knight in shined up armour and then Faf will be in some real trouble, being a dragon and all."[/hr]

Imperium/Amazons
Armerza

Since they had entered the Jungle, Armerza had pared down her worn armour to merely the gambeson and chain hauberk, even her helm she left on the hook of her saddle. The rest of her gear and armour, carried by two pack animals in the remount herd. It was beautiful, yes, but the heat had its ways of taking its toll on her mental state.

When the small procession of Queen's Blades made it to the entrance of the Temple, Armerza could only look to the dark confines of the underground with a welcome longing. As the rest gathered near the entrance, to descend into the temple, Armerza held back for a moment or two, to collect her armour, and with assistance from one of the remount handlers, attach the numerous pieces of armour onto the gambeson itself. She was overheated, sweating, and uncomfortable even as she got close to the entrance, but passing into the shade of the great maw of the dragon, she began to feel the reprieve from the heat and clinging humidity of the jungle.

As she passed the everlasting torches, guttering crimson red, she paused to wrest one from its sconce, and managed to grip it lightly, with her left hand, already holding her shield. Making sure that the flaming head of the torch was above the rim of the shield, she once again took the Rosh in her right hand, and followed the rest down the stairs.

Once they reached the open room, she looked around for a moment, before removing Pellucid; her helm. Beneath she wore a chain coif, with a light linen wrap covering much of her hair beneath, to prevent her hair from getting entangled in the chain. Holding her helm in the crook of her left arm, she retrieved one of her three canteens, and deftly, with her gauntleted right hand, removed the cork, and took a draught of the water, cut with wine, she watched the frankly, uncomfortably warm swill through her mouth, removing the thickened saliva, before taking another drink.

She nearly spat the water out however, when the illusion hoved into view; a green spectre of a woman, in a dark room lit purely by slowly dancing, crimson light. Catching herself, she swallowed the water and replaced the cork in the canteen, before returning it to its place on her belt. As the white light seemed to translate the illusions words, Armerza considered how to reply, but was left....unsure. Luckily however, Sonia and Minstrol were ready for such an occasion, and began to debrief the apparition, in rather...vague form.

She slowly approached the primary mages, while keeping her eyes scanning their surroundings. She was here should things get violent, and she most assuredly did not want this mission to go cockeyed, because no one thought to keep themselves aware of their surroundings. It was her first mission with the Blades after all, after she had just passed the trials and was accepted just a day before the missions were presented to the unit. While she was an experienced warrior, she was new here. She did not know these men or women all that well, yet. That would change.

Imperium/Amazon - Within the halls of the Structure - Elrithos "Sand Runner"
-----------------------------------------------------
The triggering of some kind of mechanism had the elf turn towards wherever it came from. Someone had stepped on a trap. He tensed as eh got ready to react to whatever was going to happen, his eyes open for any hint of a move. What came to be from this trigger wasn't what Elrithos thought it would have been. An apparition came to be within these empty halls that only the Blades seemed to have crossed in many years. The initial questions were said in a language he did not understand, nor did most seem to understand. Fortunately enough, Veira was able to translate her words. The question that came forth was something Elrithos would have answered near immediately, being someone who wasn't scared to speak the truth of a situation…But he was hesitant. He saw the others think about it, seemingly careful of what needed to be said.​

The first to speak was Sonia who, with a masterful use of the language, explained the situation to the illusion or spirit. It was a very vague way to explain the current situation, but was no lie. The next to speak up was Minstrol. Her words were a little less considered and more put out as it was or maybe a little less modest. Though he wouldn't judge such words as he didn't hide the truth. Elrithos approached the apparition with a confident demarche.

"We wish to see the three kingdoms of our time become the single, strong kingdom of the pass times. Our gathering of people are fighting a threat that seeks to harm the kingdoms and within these walls holds a document that would reforge a bond that was held many years ago."

Did he just repeat what Sonia tried to explain? Possibly, but it would strengthen what she has already said. Maybe this magical apparition could feel out lies and deception, or maybe it was just waiting to receive a specific message to do something… They wouldn't not know until the being spoke back.

Esyllt Boudica - Goblin Holds​

Esyllt was fortunate enough not to suffer injury beyond a scratch, but it was certainly clear the enemy had fortified a dangerous defence. When ordered to scout ahead, Esyllt wondered what Aslo was thinking. If such a short period of light had given the enemy enough incentive to shoot, how would they react to the clanking of armoured boots on the metallic surface. Not something the mage-knight felt like finding out. "Allow me an alternative, sir." Esyllt put forward, as she drew flesh and bone from the rift of the medallion he had inherited from Naraem. Though she had no fresh meat, this would be the closest he would get to a barefooted minion. Similar to her spy-golem she had used in the amazonian jungle, Esyllt called a small quadruped abomination to un-life. The creature had, in it's better days, been an alley-cat. Now, it was a patched-together calico of at least four different animals running off a soulstone where it's heart should have been. It was a rotting reminder of how such lives were short. And rot it did. The creature reeked of death itself.

"Go forth." Esyllt whispered, to which the undead patchwork of cat vanished into the darkness; taking it's stench with it. An unpleasant trail to follow, but all the easier for it. It made no sound, sneaking as only cats could. Through the soulstone, Esyllt would be able to see and hear all her minion did, without being exposed to the same danger.

Esyllt heard Maeven speaking to Unamo. Although she wanted to show compassion as well, Esyllt felt uncomfortable expressing it in front of the mechanist. For now, she'd let Maeven shoulder the shaman, but she would keep a close eye on Unamo's condition. At least, when it'd be safe to turn the lights on.

Sonia
Imperium / Amazons

The group was tense. The goblin and the dwarf at least were quick to respond to the surprise, they had regained their cool and were examining their surroundings with a new found alertness by the time the apparition was speaking. The thief spoke, although Sonia only understood half of it, then held an unnerving expression twisted across her face. Finally the nomad stepped forward and more or less confirmed what she had said to start, but he spoke with a confidence that was much appreciated. Sonia stepped back and allowed the thief and nomad to bid for the apparitions attention. They had been lucky the trap didn't do more than what it had, it could have been much worse. Sonia looked over to Rashan with only the faintest sign of irritation in her eyes.

"Women are not currency you can just exchange in a deal." -Princess Helénē, Page 2.

Kingdom of Renalta - Heart of Madness

Mikan looks between Abjaar and Cennick, noting everyone's objections to Abjaar, she frowns in thought. Shaking her head, she motions to Cennick. "You come with me. Abjaar, your magic resistance may interfere with Zin's magic anyway... Besides, what stairs are you referring to, the ones inside the ancient building that we can't see?" She giggles as she tightens her cloak around herself, looking at Cennick eye to eye and resting a hand gently on his shoulder. "Stay calm, we'll get through this." A soft, motherly smile crosses her face, before moving quickly and silently through the boggy waters of the swamp to the right of the entrance until the walls of the ancient ruins obscured them from view. Then, she dashes across to the wall of the compound, pressing herself up against the wall. Now closer to the compound, Cennick and Mikan would be able to clearly discern hundreds of mysterious drawings etched into the walls of the compound. Something which likely would have taken decades, if not over a hundred years to complete, and here it was: In plain view, without a hint of the civilization that made it nearby. Mikan shudders, and pulls out her daggers.

Edging along the wall of the ruins, she reaches a corner. Through the fog on their side they couldn't see the treeline which they had observed the ruins from. Mikan's grip tightens around the handles of her daggers as she takes a deep breath. She sheathes one of them, reaching into her cloak she pulls out a throwing knife. They were knee deep in the swamp's waters, which would slow them down a bit when they made their move. A moment later, and Mikan bolts around the corner, towards the entrance with the three figures. The three figures were quickly and clearly revealed to be regular people: All of which were in leather armour, and seemed ill equipped to be protecting the entrance of a lair. Mikan's throwing knife leaves her and and strikes the target closest to the entrance straight in the throat. As her hood falls back, revealing short green hair, a bolt whizzes between her and Cennick, punching a foot-sized hole into the temple instead of hitting its target: It was the shot from Manbreaker. A second shot followed, striking another guard in the chest and knocking him off his feet: That one was from Eric.

This left the last guard staring wide eyed as Mikan leaped at him and bowled him down, rolling through the water for a couple feet before Mikan rolls off of him to remain between him and the entrance of the ancient ruins. An entrance which, as a matter of fact, had no stairs. The man's eyes stared at the way that Mikan's dagger glinted with a hint of blood as he reached up and touched his face: His cheek was bleeding. He raises both of his hands in the air, remaining on his knees in the water that was slowly turning red from his two dead compatriots. Cennick didn't even need to do anything: Between the heavy fire support and the cowardice of the guards, the situation was fairly underwhelming for them. Too underwhelming. From what he had read of illusory magic, cross-referenced with James' history, he could have just as easily set up explosive dummies that looked like people. Yet, here were three, real people: No a hint of illusory magic in sight.

Mikan looks up at Cennick and smiles, the mixture of dirt and water caused her clothes to hug her skin as she takes a few deep breaths. "See? Told you. Just stay calm! You can get all excited later." Mikan winks and giggles: Combat didn't appear to phase her at all, or even dampen her nature.

Eric blinks as he narrows his vision through the fog. The combat appeared to be over, though everyone was able to see Murderok slipped in the mud of the swamp when he fired. Patting Murderok's back, Eric chuckles as he starts loading another bolt. "We all miss a shot sometimes. Now, let's go question ourselves a prisoner!" Quickly finishing reloading his crossbow, he starts heading out across the swamp towards Cennick and Mikan, at the entrance of the ancient ruins.

Imperium/Amazons - The Dream of Empire

The spirit shimmers for a moment, seeming to take in each request, one at a time. When Sonia spoke, it seemed to understand, and was about to respond before Minstrol spoke. It stares with abject confusion at the thief, unable to comprehend the Ebonics-choked speech pattern that likely translated poorly to her own tongue. Finally, the elf spoke, and the spirit nodded as it found a repeated request. The Imperial Soldier gently glides down to the floor, stepping lightly upon it: She had corporeal form. She also, notable, kept her distance from the goblin as she motioned for others to follow her, heading for one of the north-eastern tunnels. As they began moving out together, Veira noticed the dwarf in armour and frowned as she dispelled her search lights to send a cool breeze running across the dwarf. Rashan, on the other hand, merely shrugs as Sonia looks at her with annoyance, though a hint of a smirk could be spotted.

Proceeding deeper into the ancient ruins, Fahim remained silent as he left his hand against the wall, seeming to try to detect the trouble from earlier, though there was no indication that he felt anything through the walls. After a couple minutes of walking through the large hallway, they reach another chamber. It was about a thousand square feet in size, stretching several dozen feet up: Room enough for a giant, yet the hallway couldn't fit one. Once the group steps inside the chamber, a series of torches light up along the walls and leave the sight of a large, intimidating door standing before them. The torches were unable to light up the ceiling, which seemed pitched in an unnatural darkness. On the left side of the chamber were five pedestals, each a primitive looking stone switch underneath a word in the ancient Imperial tongue, from left to right: Fortitude, potentia, unitas, iustitia, pereseverntiam.

Veira looks back to the spirit with mild confusion. "Could you read these for me? My eyes are not what they used to be..." The spirit nods. "Bravery, power, unity, justice, perseverance. To pass into the following chamber, you must choose what trait is best valued in an Imperial soldier." Fahim looks up at the spirit with confusion. "It is strange to give tests to those seeking mere documents." The spirit tilts its head with slight confusion once more, though unlike with Minstrol, it at least understood what Fahim said. "You seek documents shown only to those promoted to high ranks of the Imperial Army's Officers. You must pass the same tests they do to see them. It is the only way to prevent Gault spies from desecrating them." Veira became horrendously confused, but before she could ask a question, Fahim motioned the group together closely to speak to them with a quiet voice. "Gault was the name of Rheinfeld in ancient times: A land of barbarous people who refused to live under Imperial rule, who colonized the land south of the sea... I doubt the spirit will believe us if we try to tell it that the kingdom is gone, it seems bound to this place in such a way as to make that possibility incomprehensible."

"I await your decision." The spirit replies simply, almost impatiently.

Kingdom of Liveria - Ancestral Bonds

Princess Helénē looks at Kasim and smiles with appreciation before looking to Rayvon and nodding. "We will proceed with your plan." Her eyes wander to Zoe momentarily, though Zoe didn't appear to notice as she set forth into the dark passageway. Gabriel took a deep breath and followed after Zoe, deciding that her stealth skills would be preferable to his complete lack of them in leading the way to an ambush.

Traveling down the dark path to the right left a chill running down Helénē's spine. Blood, new and old, had been smeared across the walls in various patterns, often overlapping each other. The path was uneven, and though she tripped once, both Kasim and Gabriel were there to stop her from falling to the floor. The room full of corpses had a scent so completely putrid that even Zoe seemed to be disgusted as she moved faster to simply pass the stench-filled room. Though there were a couple of large wolves ripping and tearing into putrid flesh, neither paid the Queen's Blades any mind, instead being preoccupied with finding meals not too festered with parasites to consume.

The treasury room got a temporary glance from Zoe before she dismissed it to move on. Though it did seem filled with valuables, they were the kind that were entirely useless to the Queen's Blades: Save for a rather well made blade, that sat precariously on the edge of a pile of gold, in its silver-decorated scabbard, deep inside the room. Gabriel blinked with surprise as he noticed it, and shook his head with dismay. "It has a heavenly feel to it. They must have looted the corpse of an angel for it." Still, if any of the Queen's Blades went for it, they would end up separate from Zoe, Gabriel, and the princess.

Finally, they reached the entrance to the breeding chamber. Darkness kept the group safe so long as they didn't pass through the carved out, door-less entrance. It seemed they would even be able to talk to each other, quietly, to plan for what was ahead of them.

The breeding chamber is a large room, approximately four thousand square feet in size, and the ground was uneven, implying that it was present before the orcs ever mined their way into the chamber, much like the tunnel they were standing in. Through the center of the room were a series of stone slabs that made up what were likely impromptu beds and tables, most of which were blood stained. Two orcs were cleaning a recent stain off a slab, laughing to themselves about how the woman who had been kept there had been too small after all, and how satisfying the sound of her legs popping out of place was. The stone slabs, though quite solid, seemed like they could be tipped over by anyone--save Helénē--for cover. Gabriel could possibly even throw them as weapons.

Along the walls of the chamber were several women, who the orcs at least had the decency to leave in their clothing, though most of it was badly torn up. Some were left in nothing but cloth ribbons, seemingly stitched together by the orcs themselves. One of the orcs growls as he looks at a black woman, a low, guttural growl. "We haven't even gotten t' slather that sow yet! Wait'fer a shaman to make her stop strugglin'... I like it when they struggle. Why they gotta wear clothes anyway? Why, I'd love a nice view while cleanin' the slabs--" Another orc, this one with a large, brown whip, snaps it and leaves a rather nasty looking gash in the back of the orc complaining. "Shut it! You went n' fucked up a raid! You should be glad they even let you stay here, you blithering trog! Besides, you know why. You pathetic, grovelling, pig-fuckers would break em' all in a fit of horny rage! Can't trust you types unless they're clothed to keep your grubby hands to yerselves. That woman'd use it against you if she wasn't broken first. Them magic types'll fuck with your head!"

Closer examination of the black woman in question led to an unpleasant discovery by Rayvon and Gabriel: It was Andrea, a Queen's Blade, chained to the wall with nothing but a badly torn up, white cloth dress covering her frame. Truly, it seemed a miracle that her more particularly sensitive areas were even covered at all, as though a great hand from the sky had prevented them from being shown. Nonetheless, her snake whip was left on the slab closest to them, and seemed to notice Rayvon, hissing in a manner that could only imply a disgusting desire, or trust... Or both. Gabriel glances at Rayvon and sighs. "I don't suppose we could save her last?" He was joking, and yet, somewhere deep inside, he wished he wasn't.

All in all, there were about sixty women chained to the walls, of which, about a quarter were obviously pregnant.

Inside the chamber there were eight orcs: Two cleaning the slab who had their axes beside them though no armour, two heavily armoured orcs with large spears and a pair of throwing axes each guarding an entrance at the opposite side of the room, the orc with the whip that was keeping the two cleaners in line, and three orcs examining the women around the room, who were armed with axes and shields though only light armour. They seemed to be admiring them, feeding them, and mending any wounds they were suffering from.

Between the stone slabs and the walls were several dozen feet of open space. Each of the orcs were between eight to ten feet tall. None of the women, save for Andrea, seemed capable of combat: Either because they looked fatigued, broken, wounded, or simply incapable by nature. The group did have the element of surprise on their side, though only the orcs cleaning the slab could feasible be charged into before the room would be alerted to their presence, meaning that their element of surprise was only of limited benefit.

Goblin Holds - Antiqua Scientiam

Between Daevon's healing, Aslo helping Nyla to move her, and Maeven's concern, Unamo seemed distant for a moment. It was a lot to process in such a short period of time. Fear was in her eyes: Real fear, mortal fear, the kind of fear that left normal people paralyzed. Yet, it didn't leave her paralyzed, as she noticed her wounds closing. Daevon's healing was quite effective, though it took a couple minutes to do its work. During which time Unamo merely closed her eyes and focused on keeping her heart rate down, as unlike other Amazons, she couldn't control her own blood. The sound of three more shots of artillery rang throughout the cavern, distant explosions hammering into the dead automatons in the north.

Nyla takes a deep breath and exhales slowly, looking to Unamo. Before she could make a request and continue issuing orders, the walls around them in the alley started to glow lightly whenever Maeven was near them. Though Nyla was surprised, Unamo merely smiled. "Mechanist places... It shouldn't be that surprising it reacts to one of their bloodline..." The artillery stops as the bright light to the north ends. The spirit then appears before Unamo, emitting nothing more than a hollow shell of light as the little girl looks with concern. Unamo motions to the south east. "Find our enemy, learn what they look like, come back to us... Do not be spotted, be careful." The girl nods, and immediately fades into the walls in the direction which Aslo stated.

Unamo slowly gets to her feet once more, though she had a limp and put most of her weight on her uninjured leg, she was no longer dealing with a life threatening injury. Though Daeven could completely heal the wound, it would drain him in such a way as to leave him vulnerable for a short time. "Thank you... I should now endeavour twice as hard to find a way to ease your disease. For now, it is more than mere curiosity that drives me." She smiles, then looks to Maeven and pulls her in for a sudden kiss, pushing her against one of the alley's walls in sheer passion. Nyla looks away, either out of politeness or embarrassment, it was hard to say. "I'll reward you too..." Her tone was far more flirtatious, though there was a flicker of genuine care. As she lets Maeven off the wall, a map appeared where her back once rested.

Nyla, passing by Unamo and Maeven without looking at either of them, stared at the map with interest. Running her fingers over the edges, she quickly deciphered its well detailed intricacies. "Interesting... It seems we are north-east. Our enemy is south-east, based on Aslo's trajectory... There is a bright, important looking building to the west, apparently. I'm going to guess that is where all the important items are... Smart, to keep all of your important articles in a regular looking portion of a series of buildings. Everyone would go to the center of the city first. I'm going to guess that's what the demons did before searching south east." She glances back to her allies, this time finally briefly looking over Maeven and Unamo. "Either we can investigate the west side of this city and try to get there before the demons do, or we can attempt to ambush our enemy and kill them, giving us all the time we need to resolve this place's mysteries in peace." She left the choice up to them to decide, though she looks at Aslo, seeming to trust his opinion more than the others from prior experience.

Kingdom of Tuleria - Unto the Breach

As Toorg leads the charge through the skirmish in the middle, he'd find that both Tulerians and Demons gave him a fairly wide berth, both afraid of being crushed underfoot of several hundred pounds of splintery death. One demon made the challenge however, and leaped for Toorg, only for Toorg to grab him with both hands and slam him repeatedly into the sand. As Filomena and Yuri pass him, both would overhear the sounds of snapping bones like twigs, and Filomena would have to wipe a little bit of blood off her cheek that squirted out from the remnants of what was once, perhaps, a living thing.

Meanwhile, Quar complies to Aeyr's request over Yuri's with a smile. "Whatever you say, goes!" With that said, he slams his staff into the sand, and sends several tendrils out to attack the assassin, along with Arkos' sand attack. The sand reveals the assassin, and just as Aeyr's projectile and Quar's tendrils are about to reach her, the assassin disappears and reappears only a few feet from them. Though she drops her invisibility, no longer able to upkeep it, she licks her lips and speaks to them in a taunting manner, with a raspy tone. "Three little piggies to spitroast for my sis', I'll have to leave the fish for her!" As Quar put himself between Aeyr and the assassin, he realized their imminent situation: Two mages, and a frail slinger, versus a highly agile assassin who was able to teleport out of harms way... No, wait, she would be dazed if she did it herself: Someone else...

...The vampire sorceress chuckles and as she snaps her fingers, two large, disturbing looking scorpions popped out of the sand immediately, between her and the pair of Queen's Blades. Both were about the size of large bears, and they immediately recognized that their tails were the two projectiles thrown earlier: Leaving nothing but their pincers behind. However, those pincers likely had enough force to simply cut them in two if they attempted to pass the scorpions. The vampire sorceress starts charging another spell, keeping the scorpions between herself and her enemies.

The fighting between the buccaneers and the demons was fierce, but fairly straightforward, with the buccaneers taking advantage of their environment: Six demons perished where only one buccaneer did.

Otto was still in the middle of the skirmish, though seemed able to turn to help one of the two groups of Queen's Blades: He couldn't help both, however...

Being separated from the army, there was no telling what casualties were being inflicted on both sides as of yet.

• Useful
Reactions: Orion
The travel through the tunnel was a disgusting one that caused Laenaia to gag over the smell of rotten blood and flesh lingering in the path. She still felt slightly nauseous when they reached the Treasury and she only gave half-attention to what Zoe found. She, obviously, ignored the sword in favor of following Zoe and Gabriel as she has no use nor training with a sword.

Seeing the Breeding Chamber and what's happening inside caused anger to bubble to her face and the Vampire hissed with fists clenched tightly. Still, she managed to remain calm otherwise as she shifted position with those further in the back to allow them to peer inside. Taking a deep breath and breathing it out, an otherwise pointless action that's meant more for show but still somehow allow her to convince herself to be calm, Laenaia faced the rest.

"I have two idea to cause a distraction against the orcs," She whispered. "I could cover the whole room with darkness, steal their sight from them, but with the size of the room I wouldn't be able to keep it up for long. The other is... I could make them fight each other, it would take a bit of time but I don't doubt that I could do it."

Sonia
The Dream of Empire

"Games," Sonia jeered, smooth-faced but her own voice held a tone of impatience. It did not carry far however, perhaps only to those of her party who were closest. Her eyes flashed to the dwarf and goblin, taking a moment to study them both and shifting from one to the other without a hint of expression. Her gaze moved to the Amazon as well and though it remained as impassive upon her, it held a moment longer. Finally Sonia reached a cloth-gloved hand to a light, wooden cylinder tied off around her waist and gently withdrew it. She spoke idly as she moved, "we should let the imperium handle their own."

She wrapped her fingers around the wooden container and a nearly inaudible click sounded as she pressed her thumbs. She pulled either half of the vessel apart, revealing coiled paper unwrapping itself as she pulled. She stopped and held the missive plainly in her hands, looking over the broken seal. She looked from the missive to the spirit, her eyebrow arched, asking any who saw the unspoken question: 'Would the missive have weight with the apparition?'

Last edited by a moderator:
Draza
Liveria, Ancestral Bonds

Draza's stomach, sweet as she, could nary handle the smell. So she quietly sorted out a small fragrant sweet, quietly crumpling it and rubbing some of the crumbs behind her ears. The smell of vanilla wafted shallow around her, diminishing the wretch mildly, so she could retain her composure despite it all. But that could not help her stomach when she got to the breeding chamber. Her eyes went down, and clenched at first, before she looked through squinted lids at the room, trying to take in what she could with as little of what she didn't want to see.

"Zoe and Kasim are remarkable with their armaments, maybe they could string up the heavies before you blot everything out?" she said, turning to Laenaia, "Actually, do you think you could deafen them too? Or only that?" Draza was speaking faster than she could think, "If you could make none of them hear Kasim and Zoe blast neck holes, like the old angel, maybe we could get two opening salvos before they react, maximize what we have? Hit the heavies and the one with the whip." She looked around the room again. Andrea was a priority, she needed to be freed. That, and they needed some protection, for the princess and for herself, "And stone cover would be divine," she said, giving a small grin to Gabriel, "No pun intended. But a good portion of us aren't good in the melee."[/hr]

The tingle of fresh air, sweeping through the heavy mass of steel, and thick, sweat drenched padding, was a very welcome gesture, that Armerza looked to Veira over her shoulder, and offered, "Many thanks," before replacing her helm. She followed the spirit at the lead, putting herself in the path of any surprise tricks, though none were to be had as they made their way to the cavernous chamber.

Listening to the illusion, she considered what it said with some thought, and while she knew that if she were asked that question, in regards to herself? She would say, All without hesitation. Unfortunately, this was not in regards to herself. It was in regard to an ancient civilization that she did not know very much about. She had minor contact with some members of The Imperium in her work, but not enough to have studied their history. When Fahim motioned the Blades together, she removed her help once more, feeling the breeze wicking through her bound hair, and the somewhat stained wrapping, and relishing the freshness. She got the feeling however, that he might know more, but before she could raise the question, Sonia seemed restless with the delay.

"Might have asked that thought, before acting." Her expression was dubious, before she turned the shapeshifter, "Fahim, you seem much more versed in Imperium history than I, is there more you can tell us about the Imperium itself?"

Liveria - Kasim

The tunnel proved no obstacle to Kasim. As soon as the charnel reek hit his nose, he braced his stomach and took deep breaths to acclimate himself to the smell, a trick he'd learned years ago on battlefields in the Holds. The treasury room was an interesting sight that he intended to revisit on the way out, but he kept his mind on the task at hand instead of bothering to examine anything closely. As they neared the end of the path he slipped his bow off his shoulder and readied an arrow, and it was a damned good thing for the whole group that Kasim was making a concerted effort to remain calm and collected when they got a full sight of the chamber.

Seeing the women chained in the room brought back memories of the flesh markets in the Free Holds. Some of the less reputable dealers in bed slaves had kept their wares in a rather similar state, which Kasim know only because his former owner had sold quite a few less obedient girls and the female children of her slaves to such slavers. Hearing the orcs casually remark about breaking a woman, then talk of desiring to do the same to another, didn't help matters in the least. These orcs were on a level worse than the average slaver: they used and destroyed their slaves without any thought to them having inherent worth. At least a slaver would think a moment to consider whether or not they were willing to cripple or kill a slave they'd paid good coin for, but these fucking orcs...

Kasim felt his right arm drawing back, left arm moving automatically to point the arrow at the whiner of the cleaning pair, but he was able to stop himself with a refrain that was becoming quite familiar in his own mind: what would a true king do in this situation? Killing the offending creature would be satisfying, certainly, but it would ruin the element of surprise and almost certainly endanger the women held in the large chamber. He eased the tension off his bowstring, clenching his teeth hard together as he listened to others discuss possible approaches. Distraction and ambush seemed the only idea on the table, and Kasim had no problem with that.

"Silence wouldn't help much. Just the sudden deafness might alert them, or as soon as they saw some of the number fall they'd be alerted. Similar for the darkness, only it would get in our way too. They might lash out at the prisoners, or our arrows might go stray and hit them." Kasim looked around the room, thinking out how best to protect the women chained to the walls and kill all the orcs without letting any get away, and taking a moment to remember the names of his companions. "I think stirring up a fight is our best option, Laenaia. If you can get the whining cleaner and the one with the whip to start fighting that should be enough of a distraction, but it probably won't keep their attention for long so speed should be our goal. As soon as a ruckus starts I think Zoe and I should try to take the heavies down with bolt and arrow." He looked to Draza, giving her a sharp nod along with some casual bragging. "You want neck holes? I managed it in heavy winds in Rheinfeld, shouldn't be a problem here. I'll take the one on the left." He turned his attention to Zoe on that note to be sure she heard, then immediately over to Gabriel. "As soon as we start shooting, you and Rayvon should shove one of those slabs over to give us some cover, then use your best judgment on whether you want to charge into the melee or stand your ground. Helénē..." Kasim gave her an uncertain look, then shrugged. "I'm still not sure what exactly you can do with your magic, but I figure you'd know best how to use it. If you can make sure nobody gets away to alert others, that would be perfect. Draza, same for you, no idea what you can do in a battle so do whatever you can. Ideally they'll all rush us once they realize we're here, the armored ones and a couple of the rushers will be taken down quick and leave us with just a little clean up work to do on what's left, but there's no way to be sure."

Kasim looked round the group one more time, cocking a brow. "Does that work, or does anyone have a better plan that takes care of the orcs and keeps us and the prisoners relatively safe?" Assuming that nobody would come up with anything better, he kept his eye to his intended target, the leftmost armored orc, and readied his bow to draw with all his might and fire a single armor crushing arrow as soon as the distraction set the plan in motion.

Child watched as the two kissed and tilted her head. A strange time and place for affection to be sure, she was once more unsure what to make of Unmo. A part couldn't help to wonder exactly what such affection felt like and what is behind people chosing partners so seemingly randomly. She tilted her head the other way as she watched with no notion of considering other peoples privacy. She broke out of her reverie to eye the one speaking. They seemed to have two options. Try and beat the Demons to the punch, or find their attackers and deal with them before the search. A more leveled headed indiviual might have suggested making haste to where the stuff is most likely kept. But not Child. Unamo was her way out and she only knew two things 'Fight for what you need' and 'Kill them before they kill you.'

The deciding factor however, was that Unamo had been hurt and this personally offended the former gladiator. Here was her chance at peace, at control. And she had allowed her to get hurt? No, this would not stand. Her nostril flared as she took a breath and felt among the spirits for something fitting. As he unsheated her hooked blades she spoke in hushed tones. "We kill them." She said flatly, eyes not flaring with anger but seemed rather dull and emotionless."We move swiftly and in silence, we overtake them. We destroy them."

Child was all business now. All that confusing stuff could wait until after everything was dead and ripped apart. For once she relished the chance to shed blood.

Renalta Collab - Zin, Eric, and the Prisoner

Zin figured interrogation was one area in which she could prevent a little violence and assuage her worried conscience, so when Eric mentioned questioning the prisoner she was quick to volunteer her services and head toward the poor man. "I'll talk to him, no need to scare or hurt him any further. Eric, I could use a hand keeping him still, if you don't mind."

Eric complies with a nod, and quickly walks over to the man with his hands raised. Eric grabs his arms and pins them behind his back. He then forces the man down onto his knees, and looks at Zin. "So what'cha gonna do? Beat him? Rip his throat out with your fangs?"

She sighs and shakes her head. "No, nothing so dramatic. I'm simply going to tell him to tell the truth, with a little bit of vampiric persuasion. You should probably avert your eyes to be on the safe side." Zin kneels down in front of the prisoner, looking straight into his eyes as taps into the hypnotic power of her eyes. "Speak only the truth to me. What do you know of James the Illusionist and any others in these ruins?"

Eric averts his gaze as the prisoner shuts his eyes tight and averts his gaze straight to the ground. It seems things wouldn't go anywhere fast without a little incentive.

Zin sighs again. "Well, it can't always be easy. Alright, no tricks then. What's your name?"

"Dick." Eric snickers as the prisoner sighs. "Yeah yeah. Very funny."

"Dick." She manages not to laugh, though she can't help a slight smile. "Alright. How did you get into this mess? No offense, but you don't seem quite the type meant to be guarding mysterious ruins in the middle of a forboding swamp."

"Well... I only really joined cuz' my two friends here joined." He motions to the corpses, but doesn't look up to Zin. "My two reasons for joining are dead now."

"I'm sorry for your loss." She keeps her eyes on the prisoner and away from the bodies, working hard to maintain a neutral disposition. "They, and you, made a rather unfortunate choice by being here today. I would like to see you walk out of here free and healthy, but I'm afraid that some of my companions would be perfectly happy to do horrible things to you to get information. Tell me what you know and we can avoid that."

"Oh, joy, yes, ask the guy they stuck outside questions. I'm sure I'll have so much information." He sighs, and with uncertain irritation, looks up at Zin. "Here. Go ahead. Use your vampire shit to make me talk. At least when you kill me, I won't feel a thing."

Zin wasn't one to refuse an invitation, so she did just that, trying her hypnotic gaze for the second time. "Tell me everything you know of James the Illusionist and anyone else in these ruins."

The man's eyes glaze over, implying that he was enthralled. "I know very little. There is James, a few of his comrades, Dirge and his two sons. We are here, but we do not know why, we were simply told that it was for a greater purpose."

"How many are here for this great purpose? Your best guess, if you don't know the exact number."

"... Fifty or sixty, though most of us are not trained to fight."

"Damn it." Zin looks away from the man, letting go of her hold on the hypnotic power. She stands and looks to the others of the group. "Trained or not, I don't think we can manage fifty or more armed people plus the orcs plus whatever James throws at us in an open confrontation. I don't know if I can effectively scare them away with my illusions, but I would rather not call in the soldiers to butcher the misguided souls. Anyone have some bright ideas?"

Franchine -- Renalta | Heart of Madness

Franchine stepped alongside Haraith's slow and messy gait, his steps sending ripples of swamp water past her knees. Her hand rested in his body as she stepped along, maintaining a steady pace upright without falling prey to hidden vegetation. She stopped short of Zin, keeping fairly away as she awaited the vampiress to finish with her unnerving powers of hypnotism. The man didn't seem like he was prepared for torture, so she expected little would be needed in the way of time. The problem with torture, of course, was that it wasn't a guaranteed modem of securing the truth. The guard was fortunate they had a vampire on hand. His willingness to succumb to her powers spoke immediately to his innocence in Franchine's mind.

As Zin turned to the group for further suggestion, Haraith immediately spoke up. "Nonsense! They are but sixty men," he grumbled, punching the submerged earth. The tightness of his muscles was indication enough of his willing to fight such odds. Franchine pouted at him, but vouched anyways.

"If this man," she refrained from referring to him as pitiful, "has such a poor opinion of those inside, then it stands to reason that their numbers are less important than we'd be led to believe," Franchine elaborated, shrugging at the end of her words.

"Playthings," Haraith proclaimed, earning a swift but gentle slap on his arm by Franchine. She surveyed the prisoner's wound on his cheek, considering for a moment that it might be good will to heal it and send him on his way. He did not seem like an evil soul, and was it not Renalta's goal to secure peace? Making fewer enemies was surely an interest of the country. Still, it could serve as a subtle reminder to the man why he shouldn't take up arms again.

"If we are still worried of the odds, sending soldiers seems a good option," Franchine said, eyeing Zin. As much as she respected the vampiress' sentiments, Zin seemed fully capable of allowing two men to die just minutes prior. "Some of them will die, regardless of what we do," she said. Sixty more mercenaries would be but a distant memory before long, Franchine assumed. Then again, she was the one who just considered healing the guard in prevention of enemy-making. Franchine huffed and shook her head.

"No, never mind. I agree with her. I'd like to avoid as many deaths as possible as well," Franchine stated. Out of sight, Haraith shook his head lightly. "But I am equally unsure of how to pull such a thing off."

"Many of us seem capable enough, if you are capable of dispatching three men in but a flash of steel. Why are we not capable of non-lethal combat all the same? They are untrained, many of them, by this man's account," Haraith stated, realizing he would not sway Franchine's opinion, "Disarming them or leaving them fallen but alive is not impossible, no?"

Elrbetrt Westfeld

The stench hit her sooner and harder than the others, even though she rearmost of the group.

It was like walking into a wall of death and decay, soon drowning out any other scent including herself. Elrbetrt pulled up her helm slightly, enough to hold a piece of cloth over her nose. Even after they passed through the room and into the treasury, she still had to control herself to avoid retching and upheaving the content of her stomach on her companions. Grueling, but not as horrifying as the chamber that awaited her.

The meaning of the snake's words finally made itself clear to her, as the orcs talked loudly about the women. It was despicable! Unnatural! And a travesty to all that was good! Just the mere idea of the orcs forcing the women..... Even through the headache induced by the foul miasma earlier, her blood was boiling. It was the first time she had ever felt this way. She had felt anger before, but never this burning seething rage that urges her to just.... Kill.

However, her companions were hatching up a plan, and she had no intention of rushing off and maybe harming some of the women in a mishap, so her anger was kept in check, until she heard their suggestion.

"I ag..agree with the man." Elrbetrt pulled out the lance mounted on the horse. "I will try to rush in and attack in tandem, or keep them from running off and alerting the others."

They could try being stealthy and quiet, but with so many lives at stake, it could cost them dearly if that failed. She kept her hand on the lance, listening intently to the ligthly armored orcs inspecting the women. Should the attack start, she should lance one of them and ride away as she unsheathed her sword. Being pulled down from her horse and losing her advantage was not a pleasant thought.

Goblin Holds - Antiqua Scientiam

After placing Unamo gently upon the ground Aslo was able to take his first full breath since reaching the city. He took a moment to compose himself before taking stock of the team. It seemed that the only ones who sustained any serious injury from the blast were the servant of Daevon, a fatal blow, and Unamo currently being cared for. A fact that Aslo was immensely grateful for, the more lives lost, the more onus thrust upon him to perform. He eyed the rest of the group, and hoped they held a good morale for what was to come.

"I expect the enemy has come in force. They brought along a mortar with them if that's to be any indication. I agree we only have the two choices, but without knowing exactly where they are, or how many of them there are we can't think about an ambush." He looked to where Nyla was pointing on the map and nodded. "I think you're right Nyla, that's our most likely destination at the moment and I think we should head that way. We can reassess the situation once Unamo's spirit friend returns to us with more intelligence, but we shouldn't go looking for trouble when lord knows what awaits."

The sight of Unamo and Maeven surprises Aslo for a second, but in a time where one of the most powerful monarchs was a woman who played for her own team it took but a moment for him to regain composure. He cleared his throat and looked to the pair "Save the celebrations for when we survive this. Are you well enough to walk on your own?"

"Yes." Unamo nods, though she still put the majority of her weight on her uninjured leg. "I am uncertain about running, but I can walk adequately enough."

Aslo looked towards the West "That should be fine, we'll want to be cautious and silent in any event. I'm willing to help you move if you find the pain grows too intense, though I'm sure Maeven would be more eager." He clapped his hands together, looking for anyone to interject "In any event, it's my feeling we should head West. Nyla, lead with me, or watch our asses. I'll leave that to you." he said as he approached the first alleyway to make sure it was safe to proceed whenever the group was ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laenaia shook her head to Draza's suggestion, "No, that would strain my focus too much that it wouldn't work as a distraction." After Kasim and Elrbert voiced their opinions, the vampire looked towards Gabriel, Zoe and the Princess to hear their input.

"Very well, I'll attempt to instigate a fight between them then," She nodded as she started to concentrate. Syncing her Mind with the complaining orc, Laenaia first sought the related memory of the aforementioned raid. Once she found it, she started to push the orc's thought into deciding that being blamed for the screw up was unfair and he should stood up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.