Labyrinthine Coliseum

She glanced back to see that there was this kind of unseen force that he used to push the spiders away. Arwen looked forward again and heard footsteps behind her, and soon enough, the desert guy caught up with them.
"Thank God you caught up," she panted, "are you some sort of magic user, too?" Astounding, really, he didn't need a staff. He was way more powerful than she could ever be.

{I hope it's alright if I join in? <3 I love the idea~~ <3}

><((((^> Ethan, "Fishy" <*))))><

A Secret

A Secret
A Secret
A Secret
A Secret

A Secret

A Secret
A Secret

A Secret
A Secret

A Secret

A Secret
A Secret
A Secret
A Secret

A Secret

"Augh..." he cried, feeling his knee scrape against the ground as a form of stopping any further movement. He really, really wasn't cut out for this kind of stuff. He groaned, feeling an ache come from his kneecap, which was most obviously just scrapped up. Bits and pieces of the ground latched in the skin. He grimaced at the look of his knee, knowing thankfully that it wasn't all that bad. It felt worse that it was. His eyes immediately darted up to the darkness where that something had hit him, and the dulled blue of his eyes scattered around the area, looking for it. "Where... where, where, where, where?" He began to mutter, trying to spot the camouflaging cat-like creature. "Large cat-like creature. Very, very large." He reminded himself. His eyes widened exponentially as he leaped out of the way, the ground coming up in heaps at a time. He tucked into a roll, clumsy and not very well planned, yet good enough to keep him steady. Or... as steady as he would be, at least. He barely had time to get up before something he couldn't see whammed beside him, knocking him, once more, off his feet. "Shi-" he was unable to finish the curse, as he had hit the floor. Probably eaten some dirt here and there, as well. He coughed and hacked. What the hell? Where was the stupid monster? And why did he have to do this?

He could barely make another breath, ending up on the entire other side of where he was. He couldn't stop moving if he couldn't see the enemy. And if he couldn't see the enemy, he'd have to continue running. He'd get tired sooner or later, and he assumed that the beast knew this as well. An idea suddenly jumped into his head, and quite a dangerous one, as well. He stopped trying to move, narrowing his eyes cautiously. He'd have to time this righ- He felt the shiver of cold claws rip at his arm, before he maneuvered his body out of the way, the blood coated the thing's claw. red stained against the invisible body of the creature, and it fell silent again. The claw hadn't moved, yet. He grimaced, feeling dirt get into the now throbbing wound. It wasn't as deep as he had believed it to be at first, but it was deeper than he wanted it. He timed it wrong, by a few seconds only, yet it caused such a difference. He looked around, hearing his heart thump within his chest, before spotting his fallen weapon. At the same time that his body left the ground, the creature bounded towards him, it's bloody claw easily noticed. He felt the grip of his sword come, and swung the metal object up, hearing the metal on claw. He winced, arms and body trembling against the ground as he tried to push up. He grit his teeth. This would have to work so he could get up, or else. Ethan slammed his feet up, into something solid and squishy. It was the beast.

He really, really wasn't meant for this...

Cernos paused at alcove hidden by vines. It looked big enough for everyone to make camp in and he pushed back the vines shooing Arwen as gently and quickly as he could in. He made sure Shadin followed before he slipped inside letting the vines fall behind them. He made a hush motion at his two companions and waited as the spiders left came scuttling by hissing and clicking.

He leaned away as he saw a hair coated leg peek under the vines and he gripped an arrow in his hand prepared to strike out with it should it come closer. Seconds passed like hours before the leg disappeared and the spider carried on. The breath he wasn't aware he was holding left his lips and he leaned against the wall looking at his mismatched party.

"I suppose there are worse ways to be come introduced to people. We could have all died." he mumbled as he peeled off the cloak tossing it over a piece of stone. He brought his gloved hands up to his hair and he began wring it out. Cernos glanced at the exotic man next to him. "I'm sorry I didn't quite yet your name, I was preoccupied."

Shadin sighed in relief once the spiders had passed by, looking around their covered shelter gratefully, though all the green made him no less comfortable than the rain. He slipped out of his headcovering and the cloth that covered his shoulders, wringing them out and laying them on a rock as well. He glanced at the elf, eyes running over his form less than subtly. He'd been raised in a harem, admiring someone's body was automatic and not necessarily sexual for him. All the same, he smiled when he addressed him and did a little dip, long violet hair spilling over his shoulders. "I am Sadin, a pleasure to meet you."

He sat on the plush vines and began the intricate process of undoing the ornaments in his hair so it could dry properly. "And to answer your question Miss…what is your name? Regardless," He lay each golden hair piece on the ground in front of him, loose hair falling over his sculpted chest. "I am a mage. A force mage to be precise. It is a rare specialization, one my master paid dearly for when the owner of the harem I grew up in realized I had the capability." He shook his hair out and sighed, leaning back against the rock.

Arwen sighed in relief as the spider went away. She gripped her staff tightly and she feared that she might break it. She was staring into space, visualizing all those spiders crawling outside, when a voice brought her back to reality.
"I am a mage. A force mage to be precise. It is a rare specialization, one my master paid dearly for when the owner of the harem I grew up in realized I had the capability," he said. All she could do was stare at him open-mouthed in admiration and awe, dropping her staff in the process.

"Can either of you mages do something useful like start a fire?" Cernos asked with a roll of his eyes. He would not be caught trapped in a room with two mages and a fresh batch of puppy love. He'd rather take his chances with the spider. "Nevermind I'll do it." He offered mainly to busy himself and he set to work finding any plant that had dried up and died or any vine that wasn't too pulpy. He pulled a piece of flint from his pocket, once he had gathered up the kindling, and used the head of an arrow to scrap against it to make the sparks. The small pile barely lit up any place in their makeshift camp but Cernos was fine with it like that. They were less likely to get spotted that way anyway.

He returned to his cloak and examined it. The material was made of sealed leather so most of the water simply rolled off of it. He draped it around Arwen's shoulders without a word and gently tapped her mouth shut for her. He returned to his spot near the entrance and kept his bright eyes trained on it, watching and listening closely to anything going on outside.

Shadin felt a little uncomfortable with the girl staring at him that way but he just offered her a bland smile before setting about helping Cernos with the fire, wandering off a few yards to gather up some dry twigs to throw on the blaze. He rubbed at his arms and moved in close to the fire, eyes on the ranger's back. The desert man knew he was a rarity to be there as a volunteer, most of the players in the arena were there against their will, and by the looks of it both of these were. He stared down at the fire, frowning as his eyes flicked down to the hair pieces and all the gold adoring his arms and throat. He was a well dressed slave, but a slave none the less. His hand came up to touch one of the heavy earrings and for a moment his face was honest, full of rage and old longing.

But that passed quickly and his normal, pleasant expression returned. "So, this one supposes we should find some food once we've rested. And that means you, Cernos will have to take a turn sleeping and let this one take a turn watching." He glanced at Arwen, still not knowing her name. "And you little mageling, need to get some sleep immediately." He winked and stood up, gathering up his damp clothes to wave them over the fire in hopes of them drying more quickly.

"Would you care to navigate this maze together? It seems we stand a better chance together than alone, my magic is ineffective against smaller targets which your arrows are sure to prove lethal against."

Though slightly suspicious of this new individual, seeing as they were all contained within an arena thats only rule was to kill or be killed, Tolovien decided to opt for an increased chance of survival by trusting the intentions of the tan-skinned sand walker. Bending at the waist, Tolovien brushed a bit of dirt off of his greaves. They were a dark green, interlaced with the weaving patterns of his family crest, made of a hard gem that was mined in the deep mountains of his homeland. Also, they happened to be slightly scuffed, causing Tolovien a slight bit of annoyance. Straightening himself quickly, short crimson hair flying wetly about his head, he locked eyes momentarily with the desert dweller.

"Seeing as we aren't on a merry walk throughout the tulips, with monsters up to our ears and sand in places where it shouldn't be, I suppose forming a group might be a sensible decision." the archer said lightly, placing his bow back into its rest on his back. His fingers lingered on the smooth wood as he did, as if conveying the comfort of a lovers touch. It was an affection that only an archer could appreciate.

Shadin cocked his head, frowning lightly when a all sorts of commotion started up coming from several different directions, though some of it was nearer than others. He glanced at the archer and frowned. "Well my friend, you may come or stay, but I am going to see what's going on."

Nodding in acknowledgment, Tolovien watched as Shadin set off towards the disturbances that sounded in the distance, accompanied by the clattering of his jewlery. Turning back towards the mangled heap that had once intended to eat him for lunch, Tolovien smiled. Jogging up to it, he pulled his knife out, creating the sharp sound of metal sliding through leather. Moving with a surgeons precision, he carved a small circle of flesh in the shoulder of the beast, just around where his arrown had pierced. Pulling his arrow out with a flourish, bluish blood flecking the sand, he grinned. Patting the beast on what was left of its skull, he said, "Didn't your mom ever tell you not get your shoulders pierced?"

Patting it on the cheek as if it was an innnocent child, head lolling to the side as he did, Tolovien stood. Flicking the bit of flesh on the end of his arrow off, he slid it back into his quiver. Setting off at a breakneck speed, he started after his newfound companion. Walls, vines and other parts of the arena flashed by him as he dodged his way through the labyrinth, hopping over obstacles and corpses. Coming to an open area, with an alcove on the far end, the archer slowed. Several large, hairy spiders were roaming the area. Deftly removing an arrow from its place with his right hand, removing his bow from his back with his left, Tolovien notched an arrow and drew it back with strength. The sturdy wood creaked as it bent to prepare for the powerful shot about to be released.

Suddenly, something black rammed into him from his left. Arrow loosing involuntarily as he toppled to the ground, it proceeded to strike the spider he had aimed at. That was good. However, the hulking spider that now grappled with him violently.....that was not. With large, slime covered black eyes and mandibles that dripped with saliva, Tolovien couldn't see this thing winning any beauty competitions any time soon. Hissing, the creature clamped onto his left arm with its jaws, pulling with arm rending ferocity. Yelling in pain as he was dragged, Tolvien reacted quickly. Metal flashing momentarily as it cut through the air, his knife sunk into one of the creatures eyes. With a horrific screech, the creature released him. Continuing his assault, Tolovien jumped into the nook between the spiders head and abdomen, seatin himself like a spider rider. Stabbing into its head with a sickening sound, the archer sunk the blade deep into its crunchy exoskeleton. Screaming in pain, the spider began to run forward.

Directly toward the alcove, he noticed. Grabbing his embedded knife, Tolovien attempted to wrench it out, gritting his teeth from the effort. To no avial. The spider continued its headlong sprint, mindlessly charging forward. He seemed to have struck it in some crucial nerve point. Amused at this idea, he tugged lightly on his knife, pulling to the left. As if he was riding a horse, the spider responded to his touch. Laughing and wooping loudly, he began to drive the spider, forcing it to chase its fellows. Screeching in confusion, the surroundinf arachnids scattered, unsure of how to react. Pulling his bow out, Tolovien began to fire in rapid succesion. Though he only had four arrows left, he made certain to make each of them count. Four spiders fell with each one, twitching as the projectiles struck them in key weak points. Without warning, the renegade spider beneath him came to a halt, finally dying from its wound. Which in turn, launched Tolovien off, directly into the alcove.

Looking up with a giddy chuckle, he found himself surrounded by three others. Embarrasment flooded his featured. Not exactly the most graceful entry. Righting himself quickly, Tolovien recognized one of the group: Shadin. "Never got that handshake." he said, holding out his hand to Shadin. As he did, he looked to the others. "The name's Tolovien. Spider rider and acrobat extraordinare. At your service." No doubt they had witnessed his graceless performance.

Force mage... Fascinating. That's all Arwen could think of.
The moment Cernos shut her mouth and placed his cloak on her shoulders, Arwen blinked herself back to reality and placed her hands on either side of her face. There was a new person in here, possibly an archer with all his arrows and his magnificent bow. She didn't even know how he got here.
"Shoot. Sorry," she apologized to no one in particular as she sat down in front of the fire and warmed herself up with it.
Shadin mentioned something to Cernos, and she only caught the last bit before he turned to her. "And you little mageling, need to get some sleep immediately," he told her.
"This little mageling has a name, and it's Arwen," she said, and she couldn't agree more. She was tired from using up what little energy she had, and she faced the newcomer. "Hi there, Tolovien. Were you the one shouting for help earlier?" she asked.

Cernos was quiet as he ignored the people behind him, his eyes locked on the scene unfolding behind the vines. He had seen the spider get struck and flicked his eyes up to watch as the man got tackled by another arthropod. He raised his bow to assist the figure, but he hesitated not wanting to give his position away and have the other monsters swarm them. His hesitation didn't matter though, for the man proceeded to impale the spider atop him in the eye and jump onto the spider's back. Cernos' eyes doubled in size as he watched the man ride toward them, on a spider.

This man was riding a spider a full speed towards them. A spider! Cernos panicked and drew his bow back ready to strike the spider between the eyes. Just as prepared to let the arrow fly loose the spider jerked to the side and proceeded to chase the other ones down, the man upon it's back whooping and hollering at the creatures, firing a small volley of arrows. He couldn't fight the smirk that tugged at his lips as he quietly decided he liked this maniac. Cernos let his readied arrow fire, instead aiming at one of the last two spiders retreating, another arrow struck the second a not a moment later.

He smiled triumphantly and prepared to stand to go congratulate their new companion when the spider rider suddenly began to barrel towards them. Spinning to the side Cernos barely managed to move out of the way of the oncoming person turned projectile and stared down at him as he introduced himself, seemingly unharmed.
"Cernos Sellus," he said returning the introduction, the half smile returning to his face, "impressed viewer."

Arwen yawned, tired from all the energy she used (which wasn't much). Leaning heavily on her staff, she slumped to the ground, muttering, "I'm not feeling too good," before drifting to unconsciousness.
(OOC: I WILL BE OUT THE WHOLE WEEKEND! I AM SORRY D:)

Shadin blinked, bringing his clothing to him as he padded over, intrigued by the noise. He peered over Cernos' shoulder, not quite touching him but certainly near enough for the elf to smell his perfume. The force mage…impressed by the show before him. Tolovien would be quite the asset, just as he originally predicted. Rich, velvety laughter left his mouth with each spider's death and with each of the archer's hilarious antics. When the time came for him to flung forward, he scurried back in the opposite direction of Cernos, just barely avoiding the man's landing.

His grin was insatiable as he took the other's offered hand, pumping it in a friendly matter with both hands. "Well done my friend, I am glad to have you here!" He let the other introduce themselves then returned to the fire, patting the seat beside him for Tolovien. "What a merry band we have, two archers and two mages. Surely all we need is a large, muscular man to wave an oversized sword around." He looked a little too excited by the first half of his description but it too ended in a laugh. "Arwen, Tolovien, the three of us should get some sleep. I will take second watch, so wake me in an hour or so Cernos. Though I'm sure you're familiar with such tactics." He winked at the more ill-tempered archer and proceeded to curl on the vines, wrapping up in his now dry clothes. "Tomorrow we make for the center, and my curiosity on as to how each of you managed to get here must be sated." He murmured.

(OOC: Yeah, I'm back, AND SO ARE THE FORUMS! I love it.)
Arwen couldn't get much sleep, which greatly upset her. She was too worried about this whole labyrinth, and how they were going to make it to the center without anyone dying. Good thing it stopped raining, though; from where she lay down, she saw several stars. No moon tonight, she thought.
Sighing, she closed her eyes again, hoping this time that sleep would come. Nothing. She couldn't sleep. She might as well stay aup and keep watch with Cernos, even though it wasn't her turn yet.
"You can go sleep," she muttered to him, "I can't get any."

{Yay! Also I'm drawing a pic of Arwen, Shadin, and Cernos}
Cernos glanced over at her blonde brow raised and shook his head.
"I will not shirk my duty because you can't sleep, it is unfair, I will pull my weight." He scooted over giving her room to sit next to him. "You may stay awake with me though, I would appreciate the company."

He fell silent soon after and watched the stars, enjoying the night, but alert in every way. Despite the lazy way his eyes scanned the surrounding area his fingers kept tight around his bow. Cernos' other arm was wound around his quiver keeping it close.

"Is my cloak satisfactory for warmth?" Inclining his head, his cool eyes fell on her, watching her closely. "Are you alright? Aside from our situation I mean." He leaned against a nearby rock that had most likely been uprooted when the alcove had been made and returned his eyes forward, vigilant in his watch.

The rubber band snapped earlier that day, and she had to use her hand to fix the nest of hair on her head. She took a deep breath as she sat down beside Cernos, placing her staff in front of her.
"You seem to have lots of energy in you," she said, noticing that he gripped his bow tightly. She let out a small laugh. "I know you're the one keeping watch right now, but you could relax a bit more." There was a gust of wind that passed through and she involuntarily shuddered, wrapping the cloak a bit more tightly around her arms.
"Where'd you get this cloak?" she asked, "it's more than satisfactory. One of the best cloaks I've ever used in my entire life. But I think it's about time I returned it to you." After a few seconds of warmth, she removed it and handed it back to him. "Thank you for that."

She looked up at the stars with a small smile on her face, remembering the people back in her home town. Her friends, neighbors... They were probably looking up at the same night sky right now. She let out a quiet sigh, holding her staff. "I wonder what my mama and papa would think of me being here if they were still alive. They died a few days ago, just before I got here. Papa was my mentor, and it still pains me to realize that he's no longer there to teach me new stuff, so I have to learn on my own from now on."

"I will relax when we are out of this maze." he said quietly. His long fingers brushed gently over the hem over the cloak before taking it from her hands. Returning the mantle to his shoulders, Cernos turned towards her. "I made it. It was the first one made without the help of my master. I try not to hold pride, for it leads to downfall, but I allow it when it comes to this."

His face softened as he listened to her story and, hesitating, gently laid his hand on hers. "I am sorry for your loss." Cernos squeezed her hand once before sliding it back underneath his cloak. "I do not know your parents but I would like to believe they would be proud of you for making it through the first day of this trial. As for your training I am sure Shadin could teach you a thing or two, he seems skilled, if a bit flashy." He fell back into silence and seemed to consider something before opening his mouth again. "May I ask how they passed?"

{My skills are mediocre at best but it doesn't hurt to keep at it}

She couldn't blame him; she wouldn't relax if she wanted to, but because of the loss, it still seemed like being in the labyrinth didn't hit her fully yet.
Her eyes grew wide as he said that he made the cloak. "Wow," she breathed, "it must have taken a long time to master the art of making a special cloak like that... Your master probably taught you really well." How I long for a cloak of my own, she thought. Anything warm.
Well, that's what she got after sharing what bothered her. She was surprised when he squeezed her hand; it was warm to her and it was the comfort she received in the labyrinth. She needed that comfort right now, and she thanked whatever God was up above for company in this place.
"Well, yes, I think he would be able to teach me a few tricks of his own," she said, "but it also depends on what kind of magic one uses. Maybe while we're here I might discover stuff, but when... if... we get out of this place, I'm going to learn on my own."
She took a deep breath, willing herself not to cry as she recalled what had happened that day.

It was a cold morning in Galdiff, the town close to the forest. It had rained the previous night, and the place was still foggy. The roads were slippery and the skies were still gray. All was quiet, for it was still too early and too cold to go out and begin work.
The silence was broken by the sound of hooves and the cries of men.
"Search for the two adult mages and bring them to me!" A booming voice commanded. Doors were broken, children and women cried, shots were fired. What a way to start the morning.
Arwen's parents, Harold and Gwen, rushed up the stairs and hurried to their daughter's room.
"We have to hide her now," Gwen whispered, her voice shaking.
"Down the cellar, and hurry! I'll seal it when she gets in," Harold replied, shaking Arwen awake. "Arwen, we have to hide you now. The raiders are here."
Arwen, still groggy from sleep, could only nod as she was dragged down the cellar by her mother, who was already crying. She knelt in front of her daughter and brought both her hands to both sides of her face.
"Whatever happens, Arwen, don't use your powers, don't speak, don't gasp, don't whisper, don't do anything that will make your presence known, understood? We need you to stay alive and carry on with the magic," Gwen commanded.
"What? I'm going with you, whether you like it or not!" Arwen exclaimed, quickly covering her mouth with her hands.
Gwen shook her head. "No, you aren't, Arwen. You are staying here until they leave, and then go and pack important things. Then head for another place, maybe Terzain. Don't stay here afterwards."
"You sound as if you know you're going to--" She couldn't bring herself to say anything else. She felt the tears fill her eyes and run down her cheeks.
"Yes, that's what's going to happen." Gwen held her tightly, kissing her cheek. "We love you, Arwen. You remember that."
Harold ran down to them, hugging Arwen tightly and kissing her forehead. "Remember what you have learned, Arwen. Make good use of the magic."
"No, I am going with you--"
"No, you aren't." He kissed her forehead again. "We love you, Arwen."
"I... I... love you, too."
One moment, her parents were there. The next, they were upstairs, and the door burst open.
"You! Gwen and Harold, two adult mages, have used magic in Galdiff," the same booming voice declared. "Be killed or be slaves."
"Option one," Harold said, "we don't wish to be slaves of a king who knows nothing but greed and war."
"Very well then."
"Right here, sire?" A voice asked.
"Yes, right here. Right now."
Swords were drawn, and with two slashes, the two mages fell to the floor, their blood soaking the carpets, their eyes wide open, their hands intertwined. The men left, the sound of hooves fading into the distance. The rain then poured down, as if the angels were crying with Arwen.

"So I ended up here, in Terzain. In this labyrinth." Arwen gripped her staff tightly, squeezing her eyes shut. No tears today. My time for grieving is over, she told herself.

(Better mediocre skills than none!)

(And I don't usually post this long, but I'm more comfortable telling it that way. Hope you don't mind.)

{You're fine don't worry, poor Arwen :<}

Cernos did not respond right away when Arwen finished her story, his eyes shut a frown on his features. He slid them open after a few moments ticked by and watched her face.
"There is no "if", when you make it out. You are strong and I am surprised. Do not take offence but when we first met earlier today you came off as someone I would need to protect . . . to keep safe, like you couldn't take care of yourself. That was unfair of me to assume."

He glanced away from her and at their two other dozing companions in the rooms. "You have been through much and you are strong enough to keep going. It is also safe to assume you are too, strong enough to take care of yourself just fine, forgive me for that. I should not have . . ., I do not know you or anyone here. I have no right to judge anyone when I may possibly be the weakest one here."

Drifting back to her face Cernos offered her a small smile.
"You will be a fantastic mage, your parents will be proud."

"When we make it out..." she repeated his words. "That sounds promising."
She shrugged. "It's just been a few days, I don't know how to deal with the rest of things. And we're all here to protect one another. I don't mind your assumption about me, anyway. I'm still a beginner, after all, and I still have to learn how to protect myself properly."
She immediately stared at him with raised eyebrows. "You? The weakest one here?" She shook her head. "I don't think so. I mean, look at you! Only wanting to relax once all this is over and not wanting to sleep even though you need it."
"You will be a fantastic mage, your parents will be proud."
She smiled back. "Thanks for that, Cernos."
The wind blew her hair away from her face, giving her some form of refreshment. She formed a small ball of energy in her hands, and staring at it, she asked, "How 'bout you? How's your life back home? Family, friends... Training..."

When questioned about his past he tensed for a quick second. Knitting his brows together, he considered telling her. Cernos settled down, allowing himself to ease the tension away from his shoulders once he made his decision. "I am a bastard." The words left his mouth quickly, in a matter of fact kind of manner. He seemed to hold no real emotion connected with the phrase. "My mother was a human, an apothecary, she frequently went into the woods to gather plants and the such. She would meet my father, an elf, on occasion and they began a . . . strained courtship." He paused and leaned onto his hand tangling his fingers in his locks. "She wanted him to love her, to run away with her, to go riding off into the sunset and live happily ever after. He wanted a quick lay and was willing to pretend to get it. Either way they coupled, a quite few times, and I was conceived, and he wanted nothing to do with a bastard seeing as his wife wouldn't be pleased, and he left returning to his clan. She died not two years after my birth. "From a broken heart" is what the villagers told me because my father died on some "grand hunt" but not before naming me after him because she "loved" him so." His face darkened a bit as he told the last statement and looked out of the alcove choosing to multitask and keep watch while he recited his past.

"My father's brother came to the town and adopted me, after finding out he had an orphaned nephew from the man in one of his drunken hazes two years later. He took me into the woods and I lived with him training to be a ranger. He told me the the truth about my lineage when I was ten or so. He couldn't stand the horrid fairy tale image I had painted of my father and he figured I had a right to know that my mother really hung herself. Other then my rocky start, my life was simple, I enjoyed in very much and to be honest would very much like to return to it." Cernos just as casually shrugged off his story when finished, ignoring it hanging in the air, and settled back into his comfortable silence.