Labyrinthine Coliseum

He was walking along, he wore a wolf pelt over his body which he had carved out before. He walks with the sharpened stick in his hand looking around, he had been alone for a while now and felt like he was alone in this arena. As he walked forward he shouted " HELLO? ANYONE OUT THERE? " he taps the end of the stick on the ground as he walks. He leans over a bit and looks around the area not being able to really see anyone he shouts again " HELLO! " he drags his feet a bit.

The embers of the fire swirled into majestic flight as the night wore on, the sounds of popping and hushed conversation traveling gently throughout the confined space of the alcove. The warmth of the blaze bore gently down on the nape of Tolovien's neck, soothing tired muscles, as he lay upon the hard stone. Placing a hand to the floor, he stirred beneath the cloak he was draped with, feeling the cool rocks craggy texture. Eyes opening, expression tired and relaxed, the archer yawned contentedly. Eyes watering as his lungs filled with air, the young mans ears began to pick up portions of conversation.

Cernos and Arwen sat near the mouth of their hiding place, speaking to each other of their pasts, speech heavy laden with untold sorrows. Fighting past his drowsiness, Tolovien began focusing intently on what was being said. As he processed each portion of the tales that were told, a single tear slid slowly down his cheek. The words delved deep into Tolovien's heart, floating in a phantom-like motion through his ears, eventually reaching the inner sanctum of his humanity. His very soul reached out for the pair as the gates to his humanity were breached, releasing a flood of emotion.

Eyes shutting, eyelids trembling, the archer sighed softly. He had an inner agony of his own. Recollection came swiftly. Dear Abitha. His morning star. His shining beacon. The love of his life. A pale skinned woman from the north she was, full of wonder and love. She had ensnared his heart so many years ago, back in the vigor of his youth. Taught him to love. To dream. To fight for those who could not. Several more tears slipped from under his tightly shut eyelids. She would have done whatever she could to comfort the two grieving souls who were only paces away from him.

Steeling himself, attempting to prevent the tremors of mourning that threatened to shake him to pieces, Tolovien sat up, looking into the flames. A determination arose within him, rushing blood to his muscles, causing his senses to become alert. If there was any strength in his mortal form. Any metal, or moral fiber. He would bring these people home. To the center. Away from this forsaken arena, stained with blood and tainted with misery. He bear them safely away. Beyond their grief and into the bliss of finality. Standing up, the archer turned towards the pair, tears still streaming down his face.

Walking over to them quietly, Tolovien crouched behind them, placing his hands on either of their shoulders. Looking to Cernos, he spoke in the melodic tongue of elvish, calling forth his memory of what bits that Abitha had taught him. "Eoth bwan yaseen, Cernos. Kort latvi menyanos." (May your heart find peace, Cernos. Your brother is by your side.) He intentionally used the term "meny", brother. The elves only referred to those who would die by their side as brothers. Looking to Arwen, Tolovien lightly massaged her shoulder. "Death is a thief who comes in the night of our lives. Stalking violently into the darkest hours of our existence. He comes to steal all that we have, intending to leave us a ruin and a desolation." Blue eyes soft, still wet from emotion, he smiled genuinely at her as he continued. "Yet there is one thing that death cannot steal from us. It is locked away in a place that that wretched thief cannot reach. Within that safe haven, lies the beacon of hope. This cannot be taken away."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HolyFudgeBars
He sensed the contact coming before he saw it and glanced back at Tolovien when he spoke to him. He couldn't quite find the anger to be upset with his accidental eavesdropping, he supposed it was because he didn't hold the story to any importance and was rather detached to the whole situation.
"Ma serannas." (My thanks.) Cernos had been taught most of the Elven languages, though many preferred the common mortal speech, including his uncle. He didn't like to admit but he preferred his father's tongue, the southern tongue, the words came to him easier than the others and they seemed to flow better off of his tongue.

He pondered quietly over Tolovien's use of the word "brother", watching him comfort Arwen. He reminded the young ranger of a more sensitive version of his uncle and his lips tugged into a small smile as he tried to imagine the serious man showing anything more than brief amusement or indignation. The word "hope" drew his attention back to the man and his head inclined curiously.

"Hope hmm? My uncle taught me that hope is useless unless one is willing to take action. Though," he paused looking among their mismatched group, "I suppose we have plenty willing to take action including myself. We should, will, be fine."

Cernos turned to turn his attention to another matter that had peaked his interest after watching the two of them for a bit. "You speak in an Elven tongue?"

Reactions: GoodEveningClarice
"Hope hmm? My uncle taught me that hope is useless unless one is willing to take action. Though," he paused looking among their mismatched group, "I suppose we have plenty willing to take action including myself. We should, will, be fine."

Tolovien followed Cernos' eyes as he swept the room with a glance, a fiery grin tugging at the corner of his lips. Mismatched they may have been. Though if any omnium-gatherum of vagabond warriors was going to succesfuly forge a path through this Tarzien trap, it would be this one. "Take action we will. As well as the lives of any who might stand in our way." he said resolutely, not discounting the dangers that lie just outside.

Sitting in the half-light, Tolovien allowed a momentary silence between them, savoring the simple sweetness of fellowship. What an excellent feeling. It arrives on the doorstep of your soul when in good company, bringing warmth, comfort and enless possibilities. Placing his arms behind him for support, he leaned back, thick hair falling behind his head. Glimpsing into the sky, Tolovien's eyes suddenly changed. As if an artist was reconstructing them before their very eyes, the blue iris's transformed into the amber iris's of a hawk. Tolovien's sight increased tenfold, allowing him to see the gases that composed the stars, swirling chaoticly in the blackness of the night.

Cernos turned to turn his attention to another matter that had peaked his interest after watching the two of them for a bit. "You speak in an Elven tongue?"

Tolovien's face became troubled at the question. Shifting himself into a more comfortable position, he continued to stare into the sky, eyes distant. "That I do my friend. A skill that has come in handy numerous times. And one that cost me many a dear price." A shadow passed over him, memories traveling swiftly back through the wisps of time. Looking into Cernos' eyes, he intoned three elvish words, using them to vaguely describe what happened that day. "Halbfe" (Bloodshed) He spoke the first with gravity that spoke volumes. "Iilrith" (Enchantment) The second he spoke softly. "Karthso" (Mutilate) The last he said with a shiver, placing a hand to his magical eyes, as if a ghostly pain returned to them. "These are the three prices that were paid so that I might recieve the elven tongue, as well as my elven sight." Looking away, Tolovien grimaced. He simply could not bring himself to say anymore.

His eyes met Tolovien when he looked at him and attempted to keep his face impassive as the sadness Tolovien felt in that moment washed over Cernos. It was not his place to feel that kind of grief though, for it was not his story and he was taught not to pity others. Should a person stand before you after a trial still strong and in one piece you had no right to pity them, or at least that's what his uncle told him. He had grown used to people's way of sympathizing outside of his woods and took no offence when people wept over his tale, it was still strange to him though."Ir abelas" (I am filled with sorrow) It was an apology in his tongue, a way of conveying the sorrow he felt for him without crying like a child at his feet.

"I did not inherit my uncle's ability to see." He mumbled under his breath to no one in particular, unsure why he said it. It was something he had always been ashamed of. Everyone he met just assumed he was a full in his Elven blood, that he could see for miles and run faster then the deer and sing the trees to his will and whatever else popped into their heads. He was a bit jealous of Tolovien in that moment, though he knew he had no right to be and buried the feeling deep within him as quickly as it surfaced..

Shadin slept soundly through all the recollection of heartbreak and angst, his handsome face peaceful in the flickering firelight. As a concubine he had learned to sleep in any place, in any situation, no matter the stress nor danger. A sluggish servant was of no use to his master, especially when his way of serving was through charm, entertainment and more often than not 'rigorous physical activity'. He'd seen dull slaves beaten to death for allowing boredom at a banquet. And though Shadin was a very talented slave even at the point of exhaustion, he realized the both duties and combat were best done with as much beauty sleep as possible.

The trio seemed unaware of the time that slipped through their fingers, so was the intensity of their conversation and shared soul searching. The desert man stirred just as a moment of silence had fallen between the three, fiery eyes sliding open to face the burning fire. He blinked several times, immediately becoming wakeful as he pushed to his elbows. (After all, a concubine is never aware of when his master will come crawling into his bed.) He tossed his long hair over his shoulder and observed his three companions, holding onto each other at the entrance. He vaguely noted all three were fully dressed, good he didn't miss anything too important.

He sat up and silently set about resetting his hair and clothes now they were mostly dried. It was quite the process, and by the time it was done it was his turn to take watch. He stood up and crossed the room, arms folded across his bare stomach as he observed the three with a lazy smile, one known to make the desert nobility weak in the knees. "It seems you have all forgotten the watch order." He remarked playfully. "Shall I return to sleep or take my post? It will do no good for all three of you to be exhausted in the morrow."

Reactions: HolyFudgeBars
Cernos glanced at Shadin when he spoke, face quickly regaining it's impassive nature, and moved a foot or two to the side so he could take his place. He kept his eyes from rolling and regarded him in silence waiting for him to settle before speaking. "I did not forget the watch order, I did my job and I am not their keeper, I will not stress their sleep if they do not desire, nor have need too." He pulled his hood up crossing his arms underneath the leather and leaned back against the wall. His eyes seemed to glint in the shadows underneath his hood as he watched Shadin out of the corner of his eye.

"You are vigilant in your . . . perkiness. It's impressive." He allowed his eyes to slid shut but was still awake and very much aware. "You will have to teach me to drown things out while I sleep, well not everything, certain noises. Can you even do that? Drown out certain noises?"

(I missed out so much [again] my deepest apologies!)
(And can I just sit here in front of my computer and watch you all RP amazingly kthxbye)
Listening to his story, Arwen couldn't help but feel like she took too much for granted. She had her parents while she was growing up; he had to live with his uncle after his parents passed away when he was just a child. It seemed like he was a bit... detached. Maybe she shouldn't have asked, but at the same time, she was thankful that she knew how he got here, how he grew up, what made him become him. She processed this information slowly, trying to absorb everything at once.
Just as she was about to say something to him, she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Tolovien, who was speaking to Cernos in some language she couldn't understand. She watched as Cernos replied before Tolovien faced her, eyes glistening with tears.
Yet there is one thing that death cannot steal from us. It is locked away in a place that that wretched thief cannot reach. Within that safe haven, lies the beacon of hope. This cannot be taken away."
"Hope..." she muttered. "Promising..." She nodded and took a deep breath. "I like that. Thank you, Tolovien..."
She continued to listen as they conversed about their Elven sides, surprised when she realized that Tolovien talked to Cernos in that tongue moments ago.
So that's Elven, and he's got the sight, she thought, and though she didn't understand the Elven words, she understood that it cost a great price for him to gain what he had now.
She glanced at Shadin, who was already awake, and she admitted to herself that she actually forgot that there were shifts. She was a bit tired from remembering her past, but not too tired to sleep just yet.
"I think I'll keep watch with Shadin," she muttered, still overwhelmed by what they shared. Deep inside, she hoped that in the morning, maybe even after this was all over, this bond that was created among the members of this group would remain.

"Ir abelas" (I am filled with sorrow) It was an apology in his tongue, a way of conveying the sorrow he felt for him without crying like a child at his feet.

Tolovien wiped his eyes roughly with his arm, sniffing loudly and clearing his throat. It had been an age since he had allowed himself to show this much emotion. Once upon a time, he had been an unreadable stone, who spoke from the outside and never from the in. He had, after all, been taught that emotion was exposure. Exposure was weakness. Weakness was grounds for a swift death. Allowing a half-hearted chuckle, he observed his fingernails, picking out small bits of dirt. "Ma serannas, Cernos. Net cahe ofume." (My thanks, Cernos. Don't trouble yourself.) he said, eyes dry and composure restored. Placing his hand onto his legs and pushing himself up, Tolovien stood, his mood lightening. Laughing, he added, "Goodness! If I was filled with any more sap, I'd be a tree."

"I did not inherit my uncle's ability to see." He mumbled under his breath to no one in particular, unsure why he said it.

Padding softly towards the alcove entrance, gripping a rain-soaked vine with his right hand, Tolovien scoffed in good humor. "You'll find that many who posess the elven sight are far more near sighted than those who do not." he said, a bemused smil spreading. "I spent a lot of time upon the swift elven shores of Dul Yanuet. My childhood dreams led me there, in order to seek all of the fabled elves of old that we were told about in songs. What I found, though not entirely disappointing, was far from the glorious descriptions that then filled my mind." Turning back to Cernos and walking to his side, the archer patted his fellow on the shoulder roughly, as a brother would comfort. "Sight is about much more than distance. It's about perception. And the goodness of the one who see's." Patting him on the chest briefly, he nodded with satisfaction. "I would rather have you and your eyes, than ten thousand of the choicest Yanuet marksmen."

"It seems you have all forgotten the watch order." He remarked playfully. "Shall I return to sleep or take my post? It will do no good for all three of you to be exhausted in the morrow."

As Shadin spoke, a nearby howl ripped through the night, echoing eerily where the group stood. As the beast's cry filled his ears, Tolovien felt something tug at him. The urge of battle was hanging on his shoulder, nudging him towards his weapon. Retrieving his bow with a snatch, slipping on his quiver at the same time, Tolovien tightened his armor fastenings. "Nothing like a good hunt to keep the blood pumping!" he said with a huge grin, all trace of sleepiness gone. "Sounds like there is a lone beast out there. More than managable for Cernos and myself." Looking to Shadin, he asked, "Would you mind keeping an eye on Arwen? My bow is growing bored, and she needs some entertainment." With an almost child-like eagerness, Tolovien motioned towards Cernos. "Come on Cernos! I can't bear the thought of sitting in this cave any longer. Let's go stretch our legs a bit."

Cernos had just begun to drift, his groups chatter lulling him into a sleep, when the howl pieced the silence outside of their walls. He was up and on his feet in a matter of seconds, hood falling from his head as he jerked forward, bow gripped tight in his hand. He relaxed, rolling his shoulders when he heard the delight in Tolovien's voice. His brow his disappeared under the swoop of hair that fell in the right side of his face as he raised it at the other man when addressed.
"I suppose it would not hurt. It would do us well to get some food and furs anyway. I can make you a mantle of your own Arwen depending on how big the beast is."

He checked the straps on his boots, from the ankles all the way up to his knees, and then ran his deft hands quickly up his thighs and over his torso, making sure every strap and belt was in place, so nothing could fall lose from him. He slid a short sword from one of the belts around his waist, which still held six knives on it after the blade had been removed, and sat it down next to Shadin.
"A measure of precaution."

He made his way to Tolovien's side, giving him a small nod before slipping out from behind the vines. He took a deep inhale of the of the night air, relishing in it for a moment. Cernos' eyes began to scan the surrounding area after his brief indulgence and his hand unconsciously readied his bow.
"Which direction did you hear the cry from, I am ashamed to admit I was not paying complete attention when it sounded."

Shadin parted his lips to answer Cernos' questions when Tolovien leapt to his feet, eager to run to his death in the middle of a rain-slick night and drag the elf right along with him. The desert man kept a pleasant look on his face, but his gemstone eyes had sharpened with some unreadable emotion. "Would you mind keeping an eye on Arwen? My bow is growing bored, and she needs some entertainment." He swallowed thickly but smiled, inclining his head. "This one remembers saving your life from a lone howling beast not half a day ago, but you are confident of yours and the ranger's skills, Shadin will babysit---look after things." He accepted the sword, nodding his thanks at Cernos though the weapon would be of little use to him, he did not yet have enough control of his magic to carry and aim objects and somehow that too bothered him, did they think he needed protection?

He watched them go with a grim look. His rationality knew Tolovien had not meant to strike a nerve, that being left to watch the children was slave's work and a task he was far too accustomed to up until a few bare weeks ago. Had missing out on a single heartfelt conversation alienated him as useless or weak? A heavy sigh left his lips as the poisonous thoughts tumbled through his head. He leaned against one of the vine walls, eyes flicking back and forth across the dim landscape. He glanced back at Arwen and smiled blandly before returning his gaze to the task of watching.

"Would you mind keeping an eye on Arwen? My bow is growing bored, and she needs some entertainment."
Okay, sure, she was the youngest in the group, but she didn't want to keep someone from fighting the monsters in this labyrinth. Especially someone like Shadin. She let out a sigh as she stood up and began packing what little they had in their temporary shelter.
"Sorry I'm keeping you," she mumbled, sitting in front of the fire. "I'm pretty useless right now. I wish I could do something useful, even with just one element..." A little white ball of magic appeared on her palm, and she threw it halfheartedly towards the darker part of the cave. "I was about to learn how to control one element before they passed away." Wrong timing, parents. Thanks a lot.

The force mage glanced over his shoulder a the younger magic user, his expression softening mildly. No need to punish her with his foul change of mood. He smiled truly and waved off her apology. "No need to apologize to this one, you did not asked to be left behind and neither did I." He shifted, returning his gaze to the night. "Do not worry so much about your magic, I can sense a potential in you yet untapped. Shadin was lucky to be born with an atunement to force and to a madam who recognized it. You will fine your niche in time, do not fear." He offered her another dazzling smile. "The white energy you wield is unknown to me, is it light based?" He questioned, genuinely curious as to the nature of her magic.

"Do not worry so much about your magic, I can sense a potential in you yet untapped. Shadin was lucky to be born with an atunement to force and to a madam who recognized it. You will fine your niche in time, do not fear."
"Well, I can't help but worry, really," she said, "this is something on a whole new level and I wasn't trained for anything like this. This might as well be the only time I'll be able to apply the magic, because out in the real world, they'll probably try to kill me for using it." She let out an exasperated sigh. "I've been hiding it for the few days I was there, and I hear people muttering about how it isn't right or something." She produced another white ball and hit it on the ground with a little more force used. "I mean, I know you can't speed things up and learn right away, but if I don't do something, I might as well pass away here."
She couldn't stop the pessimism in her. Thinking about her parents brought these thoughts to mind. Now it hit her that she was in this labyrinth and fighting for her life against monsters she never knew existed, especially humongous spiders like the ones they encountered earlier.
"The white energy you wield is unknown to me, is it light based?"
She smiled. "It is. I guess at first I chose it because there was a vast darkness in this world that can be expelled by light, but maybe I was foolish enough to think like that at that time." She let out a short laugh. "Did you have to hide your force magic back then?"

Shadin listened closely, nodding at her expression of frustration and giving her a sympathetic little smile. The bit about light magic was interesting, so he walked over and sat in front of her so he could still watch the entry way with his peripheral vision. "This one is sorry to hear of your persecution." He patted her hands, deft fingertips tracing the outline her palm, sensing and feeling the energy flow of her magic. "Magic is not a curse in my lands, but is considered to be a gift…if not a closely monitored one. Shadin was born into a brothel, a slave by blood. My magic was not enough to earn me freedom, but it made me far more valuable and helped land me a place in the harem of one of the great Desert Lords." He prodded at a pressure point on her palm. "This one was brought up to be a courtesan of highest quality, to sing, to dance, to…pleasure, and to protect." He tapped the choker on his throat and the mark on his belly. "This necklace ensured Shadin could turn his magic on his master, the stone is filled with his blood and infused with my magic and his, binding me to him forever. And the seal, though one of summoning is also one of sealing that is activated by my master's and his closest attendants', it could stop my magic completely if they wished it."

He shook his head and smiled, though his expression hadn't waivered when speaking of his past. "But this one suspects he can help you with your magic." He tapped the pressure point on her hand again. "You have not been taught to channel your magic through emotion, Shadin has observed most mages from your area are timid with their magic, too eager to hide it." He shook his head. "Shadin's people are mages who fight with feeling, using happiness, rage, sorrow, all of it can only improve your magic." He took both her hands in his. "Think of a strong emotion, imagine it as a force, flowing through your body like blood. Find your center, the place you pull your magic from, then intertwine it with your emotion," He stood up and returned to the entrance. "Practice, Shadin thinks you will find this more taxing but far, far more destructive to your enemies."

This powerful mage was a slave! How was that even possible? All this time she thought he was a free desert mage with all the time in the world to enhance his skills!
At least in the desert, his magic doesn't have to be hidden, she thought to herself as he told her his story. She stared at the source of magic on his throat, fascinated by how much power it held. She never saw anything like it before, and as she looked down to his belly, her eyebrows furrowed.
"If they consider magic a gift, why would they want to stop you from using it?" she asked, wanting to ask more, but she listened to what else he had to say.
"All this time, I thought you weren't supposed to do that!" she exclaimed, looking at the hands he held earlier. "Like how warriors can't let their emotions get in the way of their combat..." She trailed off, taking a closer look at her hands. But then... Maybe that's how I became easily tired, she thought. There were no emotions involved at that time. Now was the time to try.
Bringing her hands together, she summoned her magic, her staff leaning on the crook of her arm. She sighed, bringing all her confusion and sorrow to that white ball of magic that grew in size by just a few inches. Her eyes widened in awe, and as she threw it to the other side, she heard an ear-piercing screech. A woman with green hair walked closer to her, her hands on the hole in her bloody torso. Her skin was silver and her eyes were white, and Arwen noticed a second later that she had goat legs.
"What... have... you done... to meeeeee," she gasped, falling to the ground and turning into dust.
"Crap," Arwen breathed. "Um... Shadin? I, uh, think that we should... Uh... get out of here."

Shadin nodded at her questions, though he kept his back to her. "This one was sealed to keep him from using his magic to harm his master. It is strictly forbidden for a slave to rebel against his master, this was just a precaution to keep Shadin in line. And also to prevent someone else from controlling Shadin to kill his master." He snorted on her second statement. "Many magics require repressing emotions, such as sealing, rune magic, and other logical things, but offensive magic should be wielded with purpose, with heart." He listened to the sound of her magic, but his eyes were searching the cloudy night sky for some suggestion of stars. He wanted so badly to find his constellations, to remind himself that this accursed coliseum was on the same world as his beloved desert.

He whipped around at the sound of the screech, eyes narrowing as the sight of the satyr. "Good shot Arwen, but this one agrees that we should leave. Hurry." It was simple for him to stomp out their fire and grab anything that might have been left behind, gripping onto the borrowed short sword hard. He backed out of the cave a few paces, hand held out in front of he and the girl protectively. A larger, male satyr appeared, roaring at the sight of his fallen mate. He charged, huge, curling ram horns stained brown with blood glinting in fragmented moonlight. Shadin snarled and whipped his arms in a downward angle, in a familiar dance move he'd learned in his youth. The invisible force took on the vague shape of a long blade, and even as the satyr charged his body was sliced in two, splattering blood and innards on the ground. The mage panted and sat heavily, ignoring the satyr as he wriggled in the throws of death. "This one doubts there are more than two. We will wait outside for our companions." He glanced at the younger mage. "Oh, and Arwen? Very good."

"Oh, I... I understand now," she said. What if she was a slave? Would she be able to stop herself from rebelling against her master? Would punishments be as severe as death?
She shook her head, trying to clear those thoughts out of her head. She needed to focus on what they were facing now, so she immediately stood up and grabbed her staff, watching Shadin from behind. He was impressive, really, and as he sliced the creature in two, she realized that the power he shared with his master was amazing. Would I ever wield power like that? she wondered as they left their temporary settlement.
"Oh, and Arwen? Very good."
"Wouldn't have done that without your guidance," she said with a smile, "thank you for sharing this very vital skill."

Shadin waved off her thanks, focusing on getting his breathing under control. The blade shape was a much more condensed technique than the wall he typically employed, even the wind was simpler. For Shadin's magic, the smaller and more precise the shape the more difficult it was to wield. The mentor his master brought in for him when he was a child had been a force mage of such power and accuracy, that he could push every bit of his magic into a knife sized form that struck with enough power to completely destroy whatever it hit. Someday, he'd get to that level of control, for now this would suffice.

"My master used a magic similar to yours, a very concentrated element though he preferred fire. It was beautiful to watch him."

Fire? That's one very nice element to use. Arwen could only imagine what one could do with that element. It would be stunning, really, if one could control the elements.
"You admire your master a lot, huh?" she commented. Based on the servants back in her home town, they always despised their masters. Only few really wanted to serve, and Shadin was probably one of the very few loyal slaves she met in her entire life. One could never truly be loyal to anyone these days, she noted, remembering the people she saw in the past.