こんばんわ (hello)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the pun that Gwazi was going for was that someone "committed sudoku" because "sudoku" sounds similar to "seppuku"... and I'm pretty sure that those are both Japanese words, so the pun would be the same in Japanese, too.

Not that I really know much Japanese, so... yeah.
It is funny, I didn't get the joke at first because I've never played Sudoku.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
It maybe isn't but I've thought that sudoku must be hard, but I guess that once you get it, its probably not that big of a deal or maybe it still is because you have a lot to think about?

Also do any of you understand the thing with kun'yomi and on'yomi? I'm still a newbie on Kanji but I get confused sometimes and when to use what and when I watch music videos, they can show the kanji for... kokoro as an example (心) In some, they say kokoro but then they can say Shin, why is that? Is it in what context it is in?

By the way, speaking of nothing, it has been snowing outside and now it will probably take some more time before it'll disappear, yaay... Atleast I'm not living further north. Last summer on May, it started to snow way up in Sweden but it was still cold on that day..

I wonder how it is in Japan?

*coughhappybirthdaytomehappybithdaytomecough*

It maybe isn't but I've thought that sudoku must be hard, but I guess that once you get it, its probably not that big of a deal or maybe it still is because you have a lot to think about?

Also do any of you understand the thing with kun'yomi and on'yomi? I'm still a newbie on Kanji but I get confused sometimes and when to use what and when I watch music videos, they can show the kanji for... kokoro as an example (心) In some, they say kokoro but then they can say Shin, why is that? Is it in what context it is in?

By the way, speaking of nothing, it has been snowing outside and now it will probably take some more time before it'll disappear, yaay... Atleast I'm not living further north. Last summer on May, it started to snow way up in Sweden but it was still cold on that day..

-Tries to remember kanji lessons from four years ago-

Kun-yomi and on-yomi is Japanese reading and Chinese reading. Don't remember which was which though >_< Kanji is read in different ways depending on which other kanji or hiragana they're put together with, usually there are at least three ways of reading stuff.

For example, the number 1 have 2 common uses (as far as I can remember), ichi 一(イチ) and hito(tsu) 一つ(ひとつ)
Both means one but are used for slightly different things and are pronounced differently.

Depending on if it's alone, or written together with a certain kanji or hiragana it might be pronounced differently, which is why kanji is a real pain to learn xD

Kunyomi is Chinese reading, Onyomi is Japanese reading.

I'm getting owned by a teen D: ... Oh well, I lay the guilt on me being tired. :3 -excuses excuses-

• Love
Reactions: 1 person

Basically, the kun'yomi way of reading it is the traditional Japanese way of saying the word, while the on'yomi is the way of pronouncing it that was imported from China along with the kanji. On'yomi mostly occurs in jukugo, compound words, like 家庭 (katei, household, comprised of 家 = house and 庭 = yard). The Chinese-borrowed pronounciations are also often considered more formal than their native counterparts. Examples of where kun'yomi is traditionally used is in surnames. In your case of "heart", "心" (kokoro) means heart in the sense of your soul, or the core of your mind, while "心臓 " (shinzou) means heart as in the literal body part. Also, notice how "shinzou" is a compound word? ;)

That was just a simplified explanation, but I hope it helps a bit :)

@redblood Well I am in your harem afterall ;)
Which allows me to take the honor for your success by saying that I taught you everything you can no matter how untrue that statement is :D WOHOOO!

Which allows me to take the honor for your success by saying that I taught you everything you can no matter how untrue that statement is :D WOHOOO!
I TOOK JAPANESE TOO FROM A JAPANESE SENSEI DON'T DENY I HAD COMMON KNOWLEDGE IN WHAT I JUST TAUGHT YOU YOU COULDN'T EVEN REMEMBER SO HA

• Love
I TOOK JAPANESE TOO FROM A JAPANESE SENSEI DON'T DENY I HAD COMMON KNOWLEDGE IN WHAT I JUST TAUGHT YOU YOU COULDN'T EVEN REMEMBER SO HA
Suuuuure~ -pat pat- if you say so :3

Suuuuure~ -pat pat- if you say so :3
Then what's this?

Chinese-character-for-listen.png

Then what's this?

Chinese-character-for-listen.png
I:... That's way too advanced for JLPTN5! ]:< Don't give me kanji I haven't even had the opportunity to learn yet damn it!

I did a google search on the picture and all that came up was an explanation of the Chinese letter. A search on the Japanese word for listening (which is what that Chinese word means) gives me this 聴取 (Zoom in: 聴取)
A little bit different and with an extra kanji on the end. (There was one variant of the Chinese one that didn't have that thing under the word for ear (which is the kanji furthest to the left) but most of them seemed to have that little extra kanji down there that your picture showed Gwazi)

Apparently the kanji 聴 on its own means hearing and is pronounced akira. ... Damn it, every time I see a character named Akira I will only be able to think hearing from now on ]: WHY IS JAPAN OBSESSED WITH HAVING NAMES FROM REAL WORDS? I am going to name my firstborn hearing! Just to be weird like Japan! And it will be in Swedish! It will sound super weird!

I did a google search on the picture and all that came up was an explanation of the Chinese letter.
That's because it was a Chinese letter, I was checking to see if you'd catch the trick question. :P
A search on the Japanese word for listening (which is what that Chinese word means) gives me this 聴取 (Zoom in: 聴取)
A little bit different and with an extra kanji on the end. (There was one variant of the Chinese one that didn't have that thing under the word for ear (which is the kanji furthest to the left) but most of them seemed to have that little extra kanji down there that your picture showed Gwazi)

Apparently the kanji 聴 on its own means hearing and is pronounced akira. ... Damn it, every time I see a character named Akira I will only be able to think hearing from now on ]: WHY IS JAPAN OBSESSED WITH HAVING NAMES FROM REAL WORDS? I am going to name my firstborn hearing! Just to be weird like Japan! And it will be in Swedish! It will sound super weird!
... and I am completely lost as to what this all means. :/
I clearly know nothing about Chinese and Japanese.
Now excuse me as I watch this video and feel better about my lack of skill in languages.

Japanese has a lot of letters from the Chinese writing system thus a kanji you see in Chinese might exist in Japanese xb They tend to mean the same thing but are pronounced differently cause it's different languages.

• Thank You
Japanese has a lot of letters from the Chinese writing system thus a kanji you see in Chinese might exist in Japanese xb They tend to mean the same thing but are pronounced differently cause it's different languages.
So it's kind of like American English and Actual English? But not really?

But not really is a good way of describing it xD

• Thank You
I am now *slightly* less confused by all this. XD

You will never stop being confused by it though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.