Jurassic Park: The Other Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael smiled at his colleague's acceptance of Leah. She was a quiet and shy girl, who really only socialized with others when she had to. Michael was one of her few friends, and it made him happy to see the others accept her.

"Well then," Michael began. "I think it's settled! Aly, lead the way. You have the keys."

~:|| Maxwell Wilson ||:~

Maxwell Wilson watched boredly from the sidelines as the young child was led away to the rest of his group. Unlike the other workers, he hadn't really been too upset by the ordeal. The kid should've been more aware of the fact the Raptors were vicious. Still, he was somewhat relieved that nothing bad had happened. Grumbling as he swept up the sweet wrappers and other bits of general litter, Max glared across to Michael and the rest of the staff. They were all somehow perfect models of human beings. They got to work with the dinosaurs and be trusted. Eh... It didn't matter that much. What did he care? Spoilt brats anyway.

Watching how Michael moved along side Leah and Aly, the young criminal kicked his pan stubbornly and moved to another littered area with a moody glare on his unshaven face. No matter how he tried not to let their happiness get to him, he couldn't get round the idea that they were enjoying their jobs. For a good few weeks now, he'd be doing their odd jobs, making their days easier. Why weren't they doing that for him? Oh yeah, because he was a criminal. A waste of space that didn't deserve to breathe the same air as anyone except his own kind.

"I'm so done with this place..." He muttered, finally taking his gaze away from the others. The rest of the day would be very much the same but he was determined to get some excitement into his day.

So as they walked away, he followed behind, occasionally sweeping up the ground if they turned.

Reactions: Dovahkiin
Aly nodded and reached into her pocket for her keys. Her keyring was full, and each key was labeled. She led her coworkers down to the Keeper's gate and unlocked it. She locked it back up behind the last person. There were two more gates between them and the maun enclosure. Same for the holding building. Atreyu vocalized a greeting to Aly. "You're not being naughty are you, Atreyu?" She replied.

Nick was noticing that there was a group of employees and others who were walking away. Nick recognized that they knew more than the rumors and murmuring that was going on, so he decided to let his Media instincts kick in.

Rather than just overtly tag along and introduce himself later he did what any good self respecting journalist would do...he took pictures of what as going on. If they didn't want him to do so he would be told, and that also might get him some good information at some point. He really focused in on the wounded Raptor and was hoping to find out the story behind it.

Nick knew how the corporate game worked and he was willing to play it even if it was merely for a puff piece.

Saoirse smiled at the relationship between Aly and the raptor. She took out her stethoscope and put it around her neck, looking at Aly. "Should I just...go in?" She wasn't afraid of the raptor, but feared what the amount of people could do to him. Already she could see blood seeping through the bandages. The only thing she wanted to do was to help Atreyu but she knew from experience that it was best to get the trainer's permission first.

As the group slowly descended the stairs, Michael followed close behind, bringing up the rear. This wasn't the first time that he had been down here this week. The cold concrete walls and rickety looking stairs were familiar to him. The others, excluding Aly, shifted and fidgeted nervously in front of him. Leah had never been down in an exhibit before. Hell, she hadn't actually been this close to a live dinosaur in her entire life. There were 3 gates separating them from the violent predators. Obviously, this was for the worker's protection and safety. If another incident like Jurassic Park happened...well, it'd be safe to say there would be no more dinosaurs -- no more parks. Eventually, the group finally reached the first gate, and with no hesitation, Aly unlocked the door and swung it open. Atreyu immediately lifted his head and eyed the new faces coming down to greet him.

With any job Michael took on, there was a sense of danger; however, this feeling was magnified 3x whenever he dealt with the Raptors or T-Rex. They were so unpredictable and far more dangerous than the other creatures in captivity. Beads of sweat began to roll down the other women's faces. They were clearly nervous...and they had a right to be.

"Should I just...go in?"

That was a smart thing for Saoirse to do -- ask before going in. If there was one thing that trainers hated more then snobby children and inconsiderate adults, it was having someone they didn't know barge into their containment without clarifying first.

"Yes," Michael echoed from behind Saoirse. "Would it be ok if we went in, Aly? I know Atreyu a bit better so I'll take lead." He took a step closer to Aly, and whispered something in her ear. "If anything happens, I'll say the word and you lift up the gate slow. Whatever you do, don't barge in. Like you know, Raptors are pack hunters...too many people can be extremely dangerous -- doesn't matter how well you know 'em." He paused for a moment, sincerity flooding into his voice. "I've dealt with him a time or two, so if anything goes awry, let me handle it."

Last edited by a moderator:
With each step she took with the group, the anxiety that nested in Leah's guts grew, heartbeat racing to match the speed of her fleeting thoughts. She was concerned for both the raptor's safety and their own -- spooking the dinosaur would possibly invoke an attack where the outcome would involve not only the group getting hurt, but the raptor injuring itself even further. She lingered the closest to the stairs, watching the others with mild concern. The blood from the raptor's wound soaked through the bandaging. "How deep's the wound?" she murmured, not to anyone in specific.

Michael finished whispering his warning to Aly, when a frightened voice echoed from behind him. He withdrew a few feet from his coworker to find Leah addressing the group.

"How deep is the wound?" she had asked them.

Since Michael worked on the Raptor, he knew the wounds best and decided to answer.

"The wounds are pretty deep -- very severe," Michael started. "Cherry pierced the outer longitudinal layer with her right incisor -- in other words, she reached his muscular layer. We still don't know the full extent of the damage. We're still keeping an eye on him to see if his motor skills were affected at all."

"If he's ruptured one of the wounds we might have to sedate him," Saoirse said, adding to Michael's information. "My biggest fear is that he's bleeding internally now. When I first examined him, I wanted to open him up and see the real damage, but in the end we avoided it." She bit her lip and watched the dinosaur move anxiously in the room. "I hope that wasn't a mistake."

Aly nodded to Michael. "He's still a baby, Mike." Aly whispered back. Atreyu was the youngest Raptor at only a year and a half, standing only three feet tall. Atreyu was a juvenile, not an adult like the other four, who stood six feet in height. Aloud, Aly said "I'll stay between the gates. Keep the adults out in the exhibit." She whispered to Michael again. "Atreyu is most relaxed when you rub his neck and under his chin. And you're around him often enough as I raised him to identify you as an adult figure, a protector when he was an infant." Aly was always took on a 'protective mother' air when any but her aproached her Raptors, her babies. She had raised all five of them, Cherry was a pain from the moment she hatched.

Saoirse smiled at Aly reassuringly. "I won't do anything that will hurt him further or will frighten him," she said, pulling at her backpack strap, moving toward the gate, turning to look at Michael.

Michael took the information Aly threw at him. He nodded to her, straightened his spine, and cleared his throat.

"Alright then," Michael said. "Guess it's time to get in there." He motioned to Saoirse to follow him.

Slowly, the door raised in front of them. Atreyu stood defiantly in the corner, staring at the foreign and possibly hazardous presences infiltrating his confinement. The young Raptor gave a soft growl through its clenched jaw. With Michael on lead, the two caretakers crept slowly towards the juvenile. Michael kept his head low, trying to show submission to the creature. Atreyu seemed to take note as his muscles relaxed a small amount, and his head cocked to the side.

"Hey Atrey," Micahel said from across the cage. "How are ya feeling today?"

The young dino screeched cheerfully to Michael showing he was feeling better than he looked. Perhaps a similar face put the Raptor's nerves at ease. Michael chuckled through his toothy grin before speaking again.

"Glad to hear it."

With that, the two crept a few steps closer. The Raptor seemed friendly and calm enough, but with these creatures, you could never be too careful.

"We're just gonna take a quick look at you, alright buddy?"

The Raptor seemed happy...until Saoirse took another step closer. The Raptor's demeanor changed. His eyes narrowed, teeth clenched, and he began to growl. Michael's voice became more serious and commanding.

"Hey! Atreyu! Enough," Michael called at the juvenile. The Raptor eased up a bit, but he was ready to strike -- this much was apparent.

Saoirse avoided looking into the Raptor's eyes, stopping as soon as he growled. "Atreyu, do you remember me? I helped you feel better last week." She slowly took her bag off her shoulder and lowered it to the ground, putting her hands where the Raptor could see them. "Would you let me help you again, sport?"

Leah's breath hitched when the raptor's attitude took a sudden turn, and although she tried the best she could to mask her fear, she still flinched at its growl. It was a mistake, and it only took an instant for its repercussions to occur. Spooked by the speed of Leah's movements, the raptor lunged toward Michael and latched his jaws onto the man's forearm with a deep growl. The bite was momentary, and when it was over, Atreyu darted to the opposite side of the containment. Panicked and unsure of what to do, Leah froze, hands shaking. Oh God, no, she thought, It's my fault.

The frightened and unsure feet that shuffled from behind Michael were not warning enough to what was about to occur. The young Raptor launched forward at him, mouth ajar. Michael was quick, but Atreyu was quicker. He tried to withdraw his arm, but the juvenile sunk its teeth into his meaty flesh. It was only for a moment, and yet, the pain was excruciating.

Michael let out a low-pitched shout as the blood began to surface on his forearm and his hand slammed down onto the wound. His face muscles tightened and his brow furrowed. The creature darted off into its own corner of the cage, frightened and remorseful. It took a moment, but eventually, Michael regained his breath, the pain in his arm turning to throbbing. He turned his attention to Atreyu, letting out one more painful sigh.

"Hey, it's ok. I know you were scared," he said across the cage, pausing only to check the bite on his arm -- it looked deep. After a few moments passed, he turned his attention back to the frightened dinosaur, who now cocked his head again at Michael. "Now, I don't blame you. I just want to take a look at you -- make sure you're alright."

Saoirse let herself panic for three seconds when Atreyu bit Michael. Why didn't I sedate him before we came in here? She thought to herself as she looked around for something to use. She saw it, sticking out of Michael's hip holster. She grabbed the tranquilizer gun and aimed it at Atreyu, remorse in her eyes. She hated to do something so drastic, especially to an animal, but it would be easer for everyone with the Raptor sedated. It would be easer to check on both patients, now, dino and human alike.

"Stand back, Michael," she whispered to him, moving in front of him. "Let's all just...take a breather."

"Stand back Michael. Let's all just...take a breather."

There was a sudden pressure on Michael's hip, and it didn't take long to see the source. Saoirse had grabbed the Tranquilizer from his hip holster, and now aimed her shot at the terrified juvenile.

"Saoirse, stop," Michael said, putting his hand up and looking her in the eyes. "You sedate him now, he won't ever trust us again." His glance shifted briefly to Atreyu, before again meeting Saoirse's eyes. "Let me try, ONE more time to get close to him. If he snaps again...shoot him." Sincerity had flooded his voice, and he looked at her with eyes that said, "Trust me"

"Saoirse, stop."

Saoirse looked at Michael and locked eyes with him, the gun still cocked. The last thing she wanted to do was pull the trigger, but the safety of both Atreyu and Michael was in danger. With a pleading look at him she lowered the gun and took her finger off the trigger. If anything happened...she could only blame herself.

"Be careful, you don't want to injure him or yourself further."

Michael nodded at her, showing he took her warning seriously. Now, it was just him and Atreyu. The dinosaur was still clearly on edge, but Michael hoped that with only one person to deal with now, it'd put Atreyu at ease. Slowly, he approached, head lowered in submission. The Raptor screeched at him, but Michael kept his course, slowing just a bit. He locked eyes with the creature, caution and concern emanating from his eyes.

"It's alright Atreyu," Michael said softly. "You know me, right?"

The creature's muscles seemed to relax again, unsure of what to think. The Raptor must have deemed him safe -- with no intent to harm. Instead of an intense screeching, the dinosaur cooed at him, head turned the side. Michael smiled wide at this, coming within a few feet of the Raptor.

"That's right, you trust me don't ya? I'm not gonna hurt you."

The juvenile happily screeched once, taking a step toward Michael. The two were within inches of each other.

Saoirse watched from a distance, frozen in place so the two could focus on each other. Inside, she prayed that it would turn out alright. That she could change Atreyu's bandages and make sure there was no new trauma, and then she could take a look at Michael's arm. Still, she held the gun at her side, ready to fire at a moment's notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.