Iwaku Ratings (and Discord roleplays)

I am sorry for the people who liked the old reactions. The choice for which ones to move was partially drawn from what people have said previously about the reactions in various threads. Some people love cookies! Lots of people use them in a friendly nice way, but there was something of a divide that I saw when I did my covert research that people had a bit of a negative feeling towards the cookies.

The hug had a similarly bad rap with the addition that new members semi-frequently are confused about whether You Need a Hug was a genuine expression of sympathy or meant passive aggressively. We wanted people to be able to express condolences, sad feels about a roleplay post, etc. and hopefully minimise negative stigma around it.

just curious, but is there a limit on how many ratings we can have? O:

just curious, but is there a limit on how many ratings we can have? O:
There may be a hard cap, but I know we're not hitting it right now. There were like 12+ ratings back before the negative ones got culled a couple years ago. The currently small-ish batch of reactions is limited to keep things simple, understandable to newcomers, and not horribly cluttered with nonsense.

• Useful
Reactions: rissa
bring back smite 2k21

I... oh.

I respect the decision, but... why...

I get the desire to add more concrete ratings.

But I fail to understand why they replaced others. Having read through the thread thus far, I see no legitimate reason why the cookie and hug ratings were removed, save for "they hurt people's feelings" or "they were vague". And that seems a remarkably bad reason to remove what was widely enjoyed. If there's confusion or hurt feeling about a rating (which ... ok), that's what OOC discussion between people is for.

A loud minority is still a minority.

I don't understand why these took the place of cookie and hug nor where the demand came from. The quality is nowhere near the previous rating and I find those to be much more universal.

No more Special Cookies from Dipper, I guess...

i'm actually genuinely upset about this why

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner

I'd give you a Hug, but ..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Dipper

Very sorry for your loss, Dipper.

Reactions: Dipper
I associated the cookie with "you did a good job, here's a cookie," so when I see the :D emoji in its place I'm kind of confused. The two hold different connotations. :D is not congratulatory but more "Haha! You did a funny thing!"

Thank rating can't replace cookie either. Hmm.

Man, when people slightly alter my silly pixel images I too get thrown in to a swirl of confusion and dunno what to click to express myself! Ò◇Ó Now how can I do my day to day activities like posting in roleplays and screeching from my tree hollow if I can't hug a face or throw a cookie! My life is ruined.

I mean...

If we care that people were upset about hugs and cookies, we should care that people are upset they were removed, right?

I mean...

If we care that people were upset about hugs and cookies, we should care that people are upset they were removed, right?

The only one I've ever actually seen completely negative reactions to were Go Home, You're Drunk. Which is entirely understandable.

Reactions: Baddamobs
Disappointments are always okay and people being sad to see something change is normal. 8D But if people are getting actively upset by it, and it's not something that is actively fucking up the ability for people to roleplay and engage with each other, that's bananas. People should always take these kind of alterations in stride. Especially if the alterations are trying to remove something that has been creating issues, and the removal isn't hurting anymore. A community's features are constantly evolving, so changes are always gonna happen.

While I'll very much miss the hug rating and only ever used it genuinely (there have been several instances while scrolling through this thread where I wanted to use it, for example), I do see why people would have taken it weirdly (even if I did like the facehugger because I'm an Alien fan, heh).

I do think the new reactions don't quite fit the others tonewise? At least, their icons don't. They're common emojis used in texting, and the icons are...I dunno, flatter? However, the older ones are taken from a different type of emoji set and are shaded, so...yeah, I dunno, maybe this is just me being a weirdo >.>

Disappointments are always okay and people being sad to see something change is normal. 8D But if people are getting actively upset by it, and it's not something that is actively fucking up the ability for people to roleplay and engage with each other, that's bananas. People should always take these kind of alterations in stride. Especially if the alterations are trying to remove something that has been creating issues, and the removal isn't hurting anymore. A community's features are constantly evolving, so changes are always gonna happen.

BUT MY ENTIRE LIFE IS COOKIES T_T

The question to that, then, is "Why were they changed in the first place?" The very same argument you just made (a valid one) could have been made to whomever it was that had an issue with the ratings.

Again, I don't think anyone is complaining that there's new ratings; it's their inclusion at the expense of other, well liked ratings. Particularly when there are apparently more than enough spaces to include them all.