In The Still of The Night

Rose's head felt heavy. She tried to open her eyes but it was as if an invisible force was keeping them closed. There was a lulling voice telling her to go to sleep, it was pulling her towards the slumber. But she had this feeling that she shouldn't be sleeping, she should be awake. There was something....something that happened. She needed to wake up. Now.

Rose's fingertips twitched and Victor smiled slightly. "You can try to wake bella, but you won't be able to." He whispered to her.

There was a knock on the door and he opened it. It was Sean, his blonde hair was in his face and he was breathing hard.

"Victor," He said, panting. "We executed the attack as you commanded, but it seemed that they were ready for us. They all had weapons and they fought back. At least a third of us are dead."

Victor growled and he snapped his head back to Rose who was still sleeping.

"How much blood do we have left?" Victor asked, rubbing his eyes.

"None, we drank it all for the attack." Sean said.

Victor sent him away and closed the door behind him. Walking back to Rose he breathed in the smell of her blood. It was as sweet as it was the first time. Taking off the bandage around her wrist, he saw that the skin was clearly healing, but he would have to break it again.

"Don't worry, I'll let Darius have your neck. I won't kill you." He said to her.

Victor held her down as he bit into her wrist. The pang of pain caused Rose to fall out of her spell and she screamed. She tried to push Victor off of her, but he was too strong for her. He drank enough to leave her feeling lethargic, but enough to live. She felt a tear fall down her cheek and her chest slowly was rising and falling. Victor stood back up and wiped his mouth clean.

Jack walekd fro what seemd hours. his sword clashgin upon weapon upon flesh, severing hands, limbs, heads.. he didn't know what was happening. there was a horse head somewhere in there. a skull with nothgin in tis blank dead sockets. he struck it too with his bent and ruined sword. only when he clashed swords with lorenzo, his master, did he know what had happend.

The lilting voice int eh back of his head spoke fromt eh dull grey that was his consciousness. " Darius..Darius.. JACK!!!" he yelled, clashgin swords with him and then slappign him hard int eh face. he was covered with blood. hsi mouth full of vampires taint. the black vile ooze that ran throguh their veins. he was a ghost. a sight to see all perfect and yet soiled. He stood there infront of the men as they killed the last Rival.

Jack stood there glancign around. " There are none left this way." he wheezed.

"Jesus, Lorenzo.. but.. this is the way they came from.. how could-" Lorenzo put his hand up. "Darius... LORD darius.. how many where slain from then till now?" he asked. Jack shook his head.

" I don't know m-mater." he wheezed, his world going foggy. he turned around and flung himself at a vampire that was comign behind him. he teeth meeting its neck as the would-be assailant held his baseball bat above his head, his eyes rolling back into his head s blood poured from his neck, Jack drinking greedily. he spit the dead vampire out, lickign his lips.

"Victor has rose." he panted, lettgin out a long sigh, the blood refreshing him.. but also intoxicating him. it was horribel to drink another vampires blood... but unknown to Jack.. It was the smartest thing he coudl have done.

Lorenzo smiled a little and looked at the ruined sword in Jacks hand. " I think you need somethign more... suited to you...There is a weapon int eh Damon vault that might do the trick nicely." he spoke. Jack smiled. the game was afoot, and he tore throught he sewers like a bat out of hell!

Rose laid in the bed, unable to do anything else. A fresh bandage was applied to her arm and she was locked inside the room. Her cheeks has lost its light pink color and she felt drained...literally. Outside she could hear the sounds of everyone getting ready for a fight. She was surprised at how the odd occurances haven't made the news. Apparently, it wasn't too outrageous. Nonetheless, Rose laid in the room...hoping that someone would come and save her from this place. She didn't want to be kept as a blood bank. Closing her eyes, she fell into a dreamless sleep.

Int he gathering storm of rain and lgihtning, the open windows of the Damon mansion fluttered as teh police discovered the first dead body pluggign a drainpipe. THe town sirens rang out as bodies floated up througth eh flooded streets byt eh dozens. and in one strike of lightning, there were eight Damon clan fighters armed tot eh teeth standign outside the mansion... the next strike. forty more..a dn the next strike. another forty more. Infront of them all was Jack.

Jack stared up at teh high window, seeing victor there lookign out at them, drenched in water and vamprie blood. Jack looked a demon, possesed by revenge... justice... and the blood. antoher lightning strike later. Jack was gone, and the front door was torn to shreds.

Jack drew in an icy breathe of air inside the big main room with its spiraling stairway. he stood there only a moment before breathgin out a terrible roar of power and rage. the widn howled int rhoguth e open door and windows of the place as Damon clan flooded into the main room, shouting out " WAR. VOCTORY DEATH HONOR!"

"VIIIICTOOOOOOOR!" Jack let out a battle cry as he flung himself at a vampire, cruching his nose and hurlign him tot eh ground.

Rose was woken up by a sheer roar of rage. She grabbed the sheets, hearing Jack shout Victor's name and it echoed throughout the entire mansion. The lightning brightened up the room and she looked around. In another second she can hear the fighting. A body ran into her door and she jumped up to a sitting position and then heard a loud thump against the wall. She hardly wanted to know what was going on outside. There was another lightning strike, lighting up the room. Revealing Victor standing at the door. He was tense and she gave a slight gasp. Stalking up to her he gave her a look of malice and it frightened her. Grabbing her elbow, he pulled her up and off the bed, making her dizzy. Pulling open the door, he pushed her against the railing.

"Darius, you want to save your damsel in distress?" He shouted down to him.

"No." down at the bottom of the floor, holding a dying vampire. his blood pouring from Jack's mouth. "I want you to let go of Rose so that you can enjoy a quick death. god help me if you hurty her I will rip off all your limbs and sew you shut so your minions can watch you squirm like the worm you are!' he voice got proggressively louder with every sylable until all the floor of battle stood there, mid-swing staring at the staring match between jack and victor.
Jack
was ready though. ready to spring into action, his hels planted int he floor, and a hidden knife tucked away in his grip.

Victor laughed. "Don't you realize that I have the upper hand here? I have your pretty little princess. I can snap her neck like a twig. But I won't, you're just craving her blood aren't you?"

He leaned her over the banister and she gave a little scream. Grabbing the banister, Rose was terrified. She just wanted this to be over. She wanted to go back to when she wasn't important and invisible. Her black hair fell in front of her and she stared wide-eyed at the ground below her. Victor laughed and pulled her back.

"You want me to let her go? Why don't you come up here and do it yourself?"

"Why don't you come down here and face me like a man..." he growled. " You coward,. always sending your men after us.. never doing anythgin yourself unless you have the complete upperhand... you have nothign now...NOTHING YOU HEAR ME!" he siad, pointing his sword up at victor.

"I will not entertain your ego anymore you foul piece of refuse... now get down here with your men. fight and bleed like your men.. show them you are worthy of beign theri master!"

His kingly words reverberated around the room. three men instantyl threw down ther weapons and surrendered...Victor was loosing his pull... in THIS room anyways.

Victor growled at Darius, bearing his teeth. He threw Rose at the wall behind her and she let out a yelp before the world went black.

Victor jumped over the banister and pulled out his sword. Swinging it around, he circled around Darius.

"Oh Darius, young Darius, brave Darius. You're eyes are slightly red. That vampire blood is speeding up the change in you. Soon enough, you won't be able to resist drinking every last drop of that pretty little girl you care for so much. Tsk. Tsk. You can feel it too." Victor smiled a sinister smile.

"The heart spassing out inside of you, the color draining from your face, your craving." He licked his lips. "And her blood is so sweet, almost like candy. It's that caring nature that does it I think. It just seeps into her blood and makes it so good."

He laughed and swung the sword again, then pointed it at Darius.

" I. will drain you dry and devour your soul for that comment." he said, eyes stargin straight at him. his hidden blade still stuck in his sleeve.

"I challenge you, lord Victor of the byzantine empire clans, to a duel for the rgiht to ALL YOUR CEVENANTS!" he said, pointing his blade at the vampire. it was true. he coudl feel hsi heart giving out on him.. he coudl feel rose's hearrt fluttering with madness.

"My heart is stronger than your manifest destiny, you crooked would be king!"

Victor sneered at him and nodded. "Fine."

The room suddenly became very quiet and only the slight sound of breathing echoed around the room. With a shout, Victor swung his sword at Darius's and the sound of metal rang out.

Jack clashed with the sword, his other hand back behind him as he let go of his knife, lettign it stay in its sheath in his sleeve as he threw a punch into victors stomach. it connected ahrd, launchign the two several feet apart before they clashed again, Jack recieving a good bleedign blow to his of-hand shoulder before they clashed steel again, grinding metal till it sparked and holdign it there.

"You will lose thsi battle Victor.. and it will be yoru last for what you have done to my retainer." he growled. Lorenzo was behind victor and smiled at jack.

Victor growled at him. It seemed that Darius was getting faster at each strike. It was slightly amazing. His heart may be stopping, but his strength was growing.

As the fighting went on, Rose was slowly gaining consciousness and her eyes fluttered open and she looked around her, dazed. She stood up with a throbbing at the back of her head and looked over the banister to see the avid fighting. She could see one of the enemy vampires sneaking up behind Jack and she reached for the closest weapon, a small dagger, and threw it at the vampire. It went through his heart and he crumpled to the ground. Her heart started to beat faster as she saw the situation unfolding in front of her.

Jack started taking the lead in their struggle, striking with increased precision as he pushed Victor backwards. His heart was givign out on him now though. he coudl sense his muscles tensing from lack of flow, while his heart pounded fast, and he breathed hard. his physical limitations where being breeched and his human body didn't like it.

'hold out.. please hold out.. i can't die just yet... i can't die.. I WONT DIE!' he said to himself, clashign blades one faithful last time before both their swords broke. Victor punched him hard in teh face and shoved him foreard, their combined weight breakgin through the floor intot he basement... right infront of the vault as the old man finished breaking open the ancient thing. "SUCCESS! AIEE!!" He yelled, abandonign his stationa dn runnign for his life as jack tossed him off his body and into the vault. he dove in after him.

"DARIUS!" lorenzo yelled, then looked up to see rose, he saw a man behind her ready to strike with a sword. He threw his own upward in a valiant spinning slash.

The sword traveled through the air ad blazing speeds and went over rose's shoulde,r slicing her just a little on the shoulder as it dug into the assailant, sending him tumblign for rose. Lorenzo saw what was abotu to happen and leaped intot eh air!

He caught rose mid-fall and the two of them tumbled intot eh bnasement, lorenzo ont eh bottom groaning. "oooow.." he wheezed, sittign up with rose in his arms. " Are you alright rose?" he asked, coughing a little and waftign dust away as he glanced across the room. Victor and jack were in heated combat... fist to fist. NOT jack's domain of combat...

Rose coughed at the dust around her and nodded.

"I'm sorry, Lorenzo. Are you okay?" She asked, climbing off of him.

Rose can see Victor and Jack fighting hand to hand combat and can easily see that Jack isn't the best at it. Her shoulder stung slightly and when she touched it, she could see blood. Taking a deep breath, Rose shook off the pain and watched as Victor was gaining his momentum. In the dust, she saw a knife glint in Victor's hand and Rose looked around for something. Grabbing a block of concrete she threw it at his left hand and it knocked out the weapon. He turned his head towards her and she felt fear grab her once again.

"You little bitch!" He screamed as he moved to her in record speed.

He grabbed her neck and Rose could feel her windpipe constrict and she couldn't breath. She was gasping for breath and clawing at his hand. Black spots played in her vision and she could feel the world slowly drifting away from her.

"I should have killed you when I had the chance." He growled at her.

"hey!" Lorenzo siad, kicking voctors knee out and grabbgin back the girl. he spun victor around and kicked him hard int eh ass, knocking him eight feet away. Jack panicked and began lookgin for a weapon. then he paused.

"Wait...the vault... " he looked behind him. sure enough, there it was....

'perhaps you need a sword that coudl hold up to your usage better. your father had sucha sword." Lorenzo had told him that not a day and a half ago.

Victor turned around to lorenzo and Rose. " Move aside old man... Her and i have.. heh.. unfinished business." he scowled, ready to pounce on them again.

Rose crumpled to the ground and gasped, taking in a weezing breath. She scrambled up to the wall and pushed herself against it. Her eyes were wide and the fear was shining in her light brown eyes. Fear was spreading, seeping into her veins and she could fear her heart racing. Victor shoved Lorenzo aside and stalked up to Rose.

"You know Jack?" He shouted, smiling down at Rose with hostility. "I'm sure you can smell her from over there."

Victor leaned in closer and bared his fangs at her and her heart lept. "You taste so sweet, the fear might add a little kick in it. Like hot sauce."

Rose tried to push him aside but he was like a brick wall and he laughed at her. Her eyes stung and she felt the tears forming in the corners of her eyes. "JACK!" She screamed.

Victor stopped suddenly, his eyes alight with suprise. blood trickeld over dianas front. dead, black blood as victors eyes went into his head and he grasped the wall. " grrrr...nnnngh." he grunted.

There in his chest.. allt eh way through his ribcage was the ivory sword of Lord Damon. Jack held the sheath and panted ahrd, as victor turned to him, trygint o pull it out of his back, jack rushed at him and kicked him to the wall. the sword piercing deeper than it woudl have otherwise. Jack stared at him and put the sheath over teh tip of the sowrd stuck inside him. In his heart.

"All i can smell is death... in my mouth.. my stomach, my clothes.. you.. your dead clanmates... heh... death is all i smell. Rose never had ANYTHGIN to do with our war Victor... not a damn thing!" he yelled, twisting the sheath and shoving it intot eh woudn teh sword crated, literally sheethgint eh sword inside victor, pressign down hard with all his arms stength, kneelign ontop of victor with his knee planted into the vampires groin.

" Let em hear you beg for mercy.." he whispered in victors ear, biting his arm and ripping at teh flesh with teeth bare, his teeth hit bone and he kept chewing.

Rose screamed and covered her mouth with her hands. She can see the blade, covered in blood, being stuck inside of Victor's body. She could hear Victor screaming in agony as Jack tore him apart and she covered her ears and slide down the wall. The tears were free flowing now and she put herself in a little ball as she cried. She cried out of fear, shock, relief....just almost everything. Flashbacks of her mother and sister's dead body lying on the living room floor and when she threw that dagger into the back of the vampire. It was all too much for her. She could feel the spot on the bandage getting bigger as she felt her heart pumping at a hundred miles per hour. The blood from her shoulder was seeping into her shirt and she can feel the light headedness that she felt that first night.

Suddenly it was quiet. All quiet except for her sobbing. Rose didn't mean to cry, she just...did.

Morning caem quietly. The calsn were at peace and victors reign was over. lorenzo tore jack off of Victor before he killed him. his mangled body was resting in a bed,and just as jack said... victor had no arms or legs, vampires are resilient if nothgin else. Jack was laying in a bed in a seperate room next to rose, she coudl hear machines workgin beyond the curtain between them as she awoke, an I.V. bag drippign into her arm and several dozen stitches worked into her flesh. proffesional grade work. the room was clean and tidy. the window open to let the crisp, warm air of mornign enter the secodn floro room.

It was as if nothgin happened.. except Jack's mother was sitting in a chair, battered and brusied. stitched up as well, and laying against Rose's bed, asleep, but barely.