In The Still of The Night

Rose's head felt heavy as she looked around the room. Putting a hand in her hair she groaned, her head hit hard against the wall and it felt as if a bruise had formed there. Slowly her hand reached her neck and it felt tender, there was no doubt about the bruises there. She could feel the stitches in her body, it felt foreign on her body and she only remembered glimpses of what happened the night before. Jack's mother raised her head to see a dazed Rose and gave her a caring smile.

"Feeling better, dear?" She said. Her voice had an airy tone to it and it was quiet so you had to strain your ears to hear it.

Rose nodded her head reluctantly. "I...I think so."

"Well, my son was very worried about you. Didn't want to leave you, but I convinced him to sleep while I stayed here. He seems to like you very much."

Rose blushed and Jack's mother chuckled. "Don't worry, I won't tell him I told you." She whispered to Rose.

She patted Rose's hand and sat up straighter. There was a slight knock at the door and both Rose and Jack's mother turned their heads towards it and she stood up to open the door.

Lorenzo limped in followed by a tall man. He looked regal but somehow less like a man and more like a rat.

"Rose.. miss Damon.. this is sir edgar thrace. the Leader of the sangramos clan teh sangramos were taken over by victor. one of many clans he has doen this too." Edgar bowed to jacks mother and rose.

" i am sorry that we were not strogn enough to disobey him. the rule of a clan leader is absolute. we may not stray from that path. when victor spared my life a year ago, i vowed my very soul to him to save my family...there are eight clans under lord Darius damon's control now..." he spoke.

" I wish i coudl speak to him directly, but it seems he is still unconscious." Edgar spoke.

Jacks mother looked rady to crya s she stood up and looked at rose. " I.. i should have told you.." she whimpered, pullgin back the curtain.

Jack was laying there on full life support. his heart beatign irregularly.

Rose swallowed and took a deep breath as she looked at him. The world was slowly falling below her feet, but she found herself still standing.

"He told me this was going to happen." She whispered, looking at Jack's mother. "He said his heart will stop and then become the undead. But...isn't that what happens?"

She looked around her to see the slightly shocked faces of Edgar, Lorenzo, and Jack's mother. "I-I'm sorry, was I not supposed to know that?"

"thats how it works." lorezo said. " But it's not working... He's actuall.. " lorenzo coudln't finish his sentence. he just stood there like teh others.

Jack was in bad shape. bruises, cuts, and fractured ribs. he lay there, the brethgin apparatus makgin his head look like a science project. needles stuck i him and tubes feedign him blood and I.V. drips of three varieties. he was in BAD shape. and his heartrate was looking like a ricter scale instead of a stady proggression of ups and downs.

his hand twitched at teh sound of rose's voice and one of his eyes fluttered open.. but only for a moment.

There was a collective gasp and the air was stale. Rose slowly walked over to Jack, putting a strand of hair behind her ear. She sat down at the small chair next to the bed and she gently took his hand.

"You know, there was this story my mom used to tell me when I was little," She started. For a moment, she forgot about the world, about the beeping of machinery, about the people, just about everything.

"She said this:

There lived a poor girl who was madly in love with the son of an aristocrat.
Her parents made every effort to communicate her love to the son but in vain.
The girl was so despaired that she gradually pined away and died with her affection unfulfilled.
Therefore the girl haunted the son, changing herself into a ghost. The son failed in everything he did because of the ghost.
Thus, he failed in a Kakyo (exam for public services) and was unable to get married. He could not but set out on a wandering journey.
One day, as the son was taking a rest at mountain pass, a monk appeared in front of him.
They started to talk to each other and then began to tell about their personal stories. The monk began to tell his story, "I went to a town asking for alms. I stepped into a house and found a young lady who was weaving some cloth. There was no person around the house. So I could not help repressing my desire and I ran up to her. But she never stopped resisting me, so I stabbed her death with a knife in spite of myself. Since then, I have been on a journey like this."
Having to hear the story, the son flew into furious anger at the monk. He accused the monk saying how brutal he was that he should attack a young lady to satisfy his desire, and killed her because she did not yield to his desire.
The monk showed no sign of regret for what he had done but he took a "so-what attitude, saying, "You did the same thing killing a lady in your love affair!"
At the mountain pass, they quarreled with each other for a while, but the argument changed into a grapple. Then the monk carelessly lost his footing and fell into a deep valley. He died.
The son regretted his sinful act for a while, when he suddenly heard some strange voice, which was clearly a quarrel between women.
In the night, the son had a dream, in which an unfamiliar lady with blood dripping her chest appeared in front of him and said, "I'm the ghost who was killed by the monk. To reward you for resolving to meet my long-grudge, I killed the ghost by which you had been possessed."
Finally, the son was released from the girl's ghost.

I never knew what that meant except for the fact that it scared the lights out of me." She chuckled. "I still don't. I guess it's just a story about unrequited love or something...I don't even know what I'm saying now..."

Her voice trailed off as she looked at the wall, as if she could see something past it.

(Sweet story)

The beeps on the monitor jumpeda little and his heart rate went up a single number. everyone started shufflign out of the room, silently knowing she needed to be together, alone, with Jack.

'un... unrequited love.' he thought. trapped in his own mind somewhere far away, jack heard every word. their entire struggle played out in his mind.

'thats right... i was alone with the ghost of my emptiness before she came around... ' he smiled to himself, starign at an ocean he knew wasn't real. at a sky he knew was make-believe. but for now. he was at peace. his heart rate jumped up another degree without any sound from the machine.

'and yes... Victor was teh evil man... Rose saved me I;ve been hauntign her but... we get to stay together. because neither of us is a ghost.. not yet we aren't' his eyelids shuddered as his pulse quickened, the machine read a quickenign heartrate. the slow, dyign beat of the mechanical monitor turning into a steady pulse.

'I have overcome all obstacles. clan Damon is free.' he smiled, turngin around to face a nine foot tall victor with eight arms.

' I AM LORD DARIUS DAMON OF THE DAMON VAMPIRE CLAN!!!..' he yelled at the thing. it threw eight punches at him. he smiled and hel out a single red rose, its petals blooming.

'And all my power means nothgin without this... my Rose. A rose you can no longer take from me.'

The victor stopped mid-punch his arms unable to attack as he stepped back,.

'trial one.. defeat fifty men... ' he took a step forward, pullgin off a rosepetal and throwing it like a dart. it slammed the kneecap of the thing, sendin it to the ground in agony.

'trial two... drinkt he blood of a fellow vampire.. without givign in to the madness.' he took another petal and flung in at the demons throat. blood pourign out of the evil victor-beasts wounds.

'heh.. trial three.' he held upt he entire rose now, its thorns turnign to steel as it formed a large decorated sword with a rose at its hilt... the sword fo his father, Damien damon.

'pull the sword from its mystical sheath...' he opened his eyes, burngin with passion. his heart rate a fastpaced unbearable racket in his ears. his senses tingled. he saw both this world in his head, and the one rose was watching, her face as the machines registered normal and his body convulsed was shocking.

he threw the rose and watched as the mirror of this fake world shattered, sending him tumbling.. tumbling down... and he woke up in Rose's arms, pulled away from hsi machiens as the doctors rushed into his room and stared in shock as the perfectly healthy living boy held tight to Rose's shirt, his face nuzzled into her shirt and clutching onto her.

"Rose... as long as i live... my heart beats for you." he whispered. he had done the impossible. A living vampire... And all transgressions and pain were forgotten.

Forgotten...

IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT

( Haha, thanks, it let me get in touch with my Korean heritage. Also, I hope it's not over...I like this RP)

Rose almost started crying with relief when Jack lept out to her. Her eyes stung as she closed them and hugged him tighter.

"I...I thought--we thought you were..." She let her voice trail off as she slowly shook her head.

Rose could feel the stitches stretching her skin, but she didn't feel any pain. She just felt relief and joy. She was so afraid that she would lose something else...she didn't know what she would do if Jack did die. Lorenzo and Jack's mother rushed into the room and his mother almost collapsed in relief.

"Jack." She said slowly rushing over to the bed.

Rose moved away and let Jack's mother care for him like a mother should. She held his face and looked at him. "My dear boy, I thought I lost you." She said, her vision blurring with tears and Rose moved over closer to Lorenzo. He looked at her with curiosity and turned his head to the side.

"What did you do?" He asked her quietly.

"You saw me, I told him a story. I honestly didn't think it would work. I was going out on a limb."

Lorenzo chuckled. "Surprising what one's voice can do." He put a hand on her shoulder and led her back to her bed.

"Your stitches are coming apart. You should rest." He said.

"But--" Rose didn't want to leave Jack again, she was afraid that she would lose him.

"Jack will talk to you, trust me, nothing can stop him. You caused something that hasn't happened in more than a century. You created a living vampire. One who can live both in the human world and ours. His heart will still beat, but he will still need blood. He can also still go out in the sunlight and come back unscathed. Be glad."

Rose smiled slightly and laid back on the bed. Her heart started beating slower as she relaxed. She didn't realize how tired she was till then. Her eyes fluttered shut and she fell asleep as the doctors came back and reinserted the IVs.

Victors body was put into the vault. and the vault was oncemore sealed shut. His screames were heard only be cockroaches and mice as they feasted on his undead flesh. A punishment worse than true death.

The sun rose high into teh sky and a week later, both He and Rose were well enough to go out again. It was summer now, and Jack sat ont eh dock of the lake staring out over the waves at the sunset. He was waiting for rose.

(almost eh end of this CHAPTER perhaps... )

(yeah, A door closes and another one opens. Now let's open a door!)

Rose ran down the street. Her knit cap was falling off and she had to hold it down with her hand. She lost track of time taking pictures at the park, she forgot to look at her watch every half-hour.

"Ooh...he's going to be so upset." She muttered.

She dodged various amounts of people and she almost ran into a couple of men moving in furniture to her old house. The memories rang in her head like small bells and she slowed down only for a second. When she recovered, the police finally gave her back all of her things and Lorenzo gave her a room in the mansion. Now it was designed to her desire and the books never seemed to stop coming in as she finished one after the other. The other side was full of pictures she had taken over the year. No one really knew that she lost her mother and sister at school...until it made the news at least. After that, she got attention everywhere she went. Rose had to convince everyone that she was staying with a family member and that she was absolutely fine.

Kicking off her shoes, Rose ran onto the sand towards the dock and nearly tripped on a missed step. She yelped, but regained her balance. Stopping right behind Jack, she caught her breath and sat down next to him.

"Sorry, I lost track of time."

"It happens." he smiled, not turning around. He seemed lost in thought. no. not lost. blissfully taken intot eh arms of some beautiful thought.

"Did the new people finish movign into yoru old house yet? when i came here they were still doing their thing..."

"They're still bringing things in." Rose said. She took off the knit cap and brushed her hair with her fingers.

"You wanted to tell me something?" She said turning to Jack. She smiled.

Rose knew his name really wasn't Jack, but she still called him that. It was what he introduced her with and she decided that it's the name that she knows.

"Yeah..I did. We are going to school for nonly a few more years... then what? What kind of family do you expect the clan to be?" he said, his look of blissfull thought turning to slight concern.

" I don't mean to be a peccimist, really i don't, But i am not sure what you think life is going to be like now."

Rose shrugged. "I don't know. I don't think I'll be going anywhere. I'm not planning on college, I probably can't get into them anyway with my grades and I don't think I could pay the tuition."

She turned towards him and pushed stray strands of his hair back and sighed.

"Why? Do you think I'm not going to like it there?"

"Sometimes i wonder if this is the right path... even for myself." HE said simply.

"Are you ready for the long haul then... Rose?" he asked, hugging her gently and kissign her cheek. " Eternity doesn't rush you know."

She chuckled.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Rose said smiling at him.

The sun was giving the clouds a purple hue and she leaned against Jack. After losing herself in her own train of thought. She could feel his concern, and turned to face him.

"You have to stop being so...cryptic, Jack." She said and leaned towards him to kiss him.

"Sorry, rose." he said, kissing her and pullgin her into his lap, smiling as they cuddled by the lake until the moon rose high into the sky. "You are the best thing that ever happened to me..." he said.

THE END