In The Still of The Night

There was a line of pierced leaves in front of Rose by the time Jack walked up to her.

"Hey Rose. How you feelin'?" He said behind her and it pulled her out of her thoughts so fast that she missed the next leaf.

Momentarily disappointed, she looked up and smiled at him. Her eyes were tired and it was starting to get cold, the ocean breeze seeping into her skin. Jack handed her a cup of hot chocolate and took a sip.

Ouch, hot.

Letting her hands rest on her knees she felt the awkward vibe from Jack and she looked at him when he looked away. Scooting closer to him, Rose felt his warm skin and wanted to fall into his arms. Just hugging her, she was cold enough and she never had a chance to grab anything but a thin jacket when the police investigated her house.

"Jack," She started, looking out into the sand. "I know I'm probably irritating you by now, but I would really like to know what is going on? I'm worried, and scared, and...and...I don't know what to feel."

Taking another sip, she sighed.

Still too hot.

Rose shivered as a gust of wind hit her, pushing her hair back and exposing her neck.

"You belong to the clan now.. as a family member since this aweful thing has happened." JAck started, sighing. He clutched his chest gently.

"True vampires cannot eat anythgin but blood and water. alcohol and other things that dissolve into thebody quickly, like hard candies.. sometimes." he began.

"Being a true blood, instead of 'turned' persa into ta vampire i stil.. well, i have to die rose." he said, looking at her with a slight smile.

Rose looked up at him in shock.

"...oh." She said after a long pause.

Setting down her hot chocolate on one of the stone steps, Rose reached over and hugged him. Not too tight, but...a reassuring hug.

"To be honest," She said into his shirt. "you're the best thing that's happened to me so far. I've never had any friends and now my mother and my sister is gone too."

Feeling the tears form in the corners of her eyes, she hugged him a little tighter.

"I can't lose something else. If that means you have to die to come back then...well, I can't stop it can I?"

She let out a breath as she felt one of her tears falling down her cheek and onto his shirt.

"My heart beat for you, rose." he admitted, holding her close so she coudl feel it still going.

"WHen it stops... it stops for good, and i become true undead.. but.. I don't want that to happen. not yet. Not while this SHIT is still happening." he added.

She sighed.

"What happens then, when you become undead I mean? What happens to me, to you..."

Rose seemed to melt into his arms, feeling the warmth and the strength. She felt a surge of protection by being with him. It might be because she never had anyone willing to protect her, but it didn't matter. What mattered was the fact that she was feeling protected now.

"Well. it seasy enough to see me as human now rose... and. well, I don't wanna. i dont wann give up cheeseburgers, i don't want to give up breathing, or the sunlight." he sighed. " THis is not how i want to live." he added.

He told her lorenzo and th eothers were lockgin themselves deeper in the caves for now. that jack and her should finish their business in

She hugged him tighter and then took a deep breath.

"What do we do now? Am I staying with you guys in the cave?" She asked suddenly.

Seeing the moon completely overhead made her heart beat faster. Flashes of previous nights burst into her head and she clung onto Jack, terrified. She never thought she would be so terrified of the night as she did now. Her fear of the dark, the shadows, everything changed.

"c'mon. lets get isnide quickly. everyone sleeps in coffins but my family has a private room down there.. lets go." he said, moving swiftly intot he caverns, lockgin iron door after iron door behind them.

Rose followed Jack quietly. She was trying to get used to this outside world. Being thrust into it so suddenly and harshly, she didn't know what to think was real or not.

"So...are there things like the fey, werewolves, demons...stuff like that as well? I mean I'm just confused--"

She gasped as she tripped on a rock and tumbled into Jack, grabbing his arm and then falling to the ground, dragging him down with her.

She landed ontop of jack and he stared at her blushing as she was closer to him than ever before.

"I assume so, but.. I've never met any of them." he answered her. " You okay?" he asked her perceptively.

Rose stared at him and felt the heat creeping up her neck and was thankful of the dark lighting. He was inches away from her and she could feel her heart beating faster and faster. She nodded and knew that she should get up, but for some reason, she didn't want to. Her hair fell over her shoulder and it seemed to lightly touch the side of his face.

"I...uh...I'm really...sorry." She managed to get out.

"your hair smells awesome." he said with a smile. " hey rose..." he whispered in her ear.

"It's not much but.. as logn as my heart still beats. it beats for you." Jack felt a twitch of fear run through him just then. why had he said that, what was he thinking. perhaps Lorenzo's words of encouragement were enough.

"Do not hold back, my boy. like you didn't hod back yellign at me when you had somethgin to say. belt out your heart sot he world can hear you sing liekt he choir of angels you are. your heart and your soul can burn throguh rivers and scorch the earth of mens souls when you let your passion guide you." Lorenzo had said this only an hour ago. And ALready, Jack felt like a bietter person.

Rose couldn't help but smile and feel the redness of her cheeks as well. She kept looking at him. Different thoughts flooded her head. She never had anyone who had the slightest interest in her and she no longer felt alone. She remembered the time in seventh grade when she told one of the popular boys that she liked him and then he asked her out on a date. She was so happy, but when the day came he stood her up and laughed at her the next week. After that, Rose tried to distance herself from anyone. All of the torment and the horrible things they called her, she would rather not have anyone hang around her. But with Jack, things felt different. It wasn't only the fact that he was a vampire, but the fact that he actually cared about her and cared about what happened to her.

Rose leaned down and kissed him on the cheek. She then stood up and held out a hand.

"I think we should get going or else people are going to get worried." She said kindly.

Jack smiled and took her hand, standing up and leading her to the room. it was chilly, but not cold. it was light with a candelabra sitting ona wooden table. the place smelled of fresh cleaners and bleach. in the corner was a coffin, an authentic old style coffin with a loose lid. Jack went over to them and picked up each lid a few inches.

"occupied... occupied...occupied. oh hey, here's an empty one." he said, openign it up. it was double wide. " Made for my parents when they were still together." he added. "c'mon, they have breathign holes and everything, but they are nice and warm." he said, taking off his shoes.

Rose blushed even more and then took off her ballet flats. It was odd, sleeping in a coffin. She wondered why they didn't sleep on beds. Climbing in, she laid down and felt Jacks arm and she felt slightly cramped. Her bare feet were freezing and she felt a shiver down her spine.

"Why don't you guys just sleep in beds? Isn't it fine as long as the sunlight is blocked?" She asked. The tips of her fingers started to get cold as well and she breathed into them.

"Old habitsdie hard." he chuckled. it was a longsleepless night of nightmares and horrible images floatign throguh their heads.

Rose nodded. She felt slightly claustorphobic and she turned closer to Jack and she looked at him and studied his face.

"You guys should get beds." She said after a minute. "It's a lot more comfortable...and warmer."

She smiled and closed her eyes. she moved closer to Jack, trying to get more space around herself and trying to get warmer. By this time her feet felt like ice and she had to keep her hands together to keep them warm.

Before she fell asleep, jacks coat ontop of them, the coffin warmed up with their body heat nicely. Jack was a gentle sleeper, snorign softly. so softly rose woudln't notice the cute sound unless hsi mouth was so close to her ear. Jack held her by her tummy with one arm, his other beneath ehr head and slumped against the wall of the coffin. the Pillows inside where white, bleached and clean.

All through the night, the rival clan searched for the hiding spots of the Damon clan... not a one of them found it.

When Rose woke up, she didn't know whether it was day or night. She figured that, since she was alone, it was night. Jack's jacket was on top of her and she was glad for the extra warmth. Suddenly it wasn't such a small space with only her inside of it. For a moment she was in peace and then she remembered why she was there and her heart raced. Feeling the anxiety, Rose tried to calm herself down and closed her eyes again. She was listening to her heart in her ears and let it lull her to sleep once more.

Jack was sitting in teh room, it was 3 int he morning and he coudln't sleep. he was busy in a large bound sketchbook doodling soem things, writing down a few formulas. in his spare time, Jack had taken to a rather strange field of study... the occult. specifically, druidic teachings.

As rose dreamed, he drafted, and when seh awoke next, he woudl be next to her again. he was so tired, and didn't even really knwo why.