Illusion Breaker

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ah... I wouldn't want to be a bother, but if I'm welcome, I might take you up on that offer," Shirou nodded graciously, taking his bag as he did so, oblivious to Frank's inner turmoil, "Then... I'm off. Take care, Mr. Castle," he spoke, giving a brief wave as he would leave, leaving him alone again with that.

Archer, materializing out of his spirit form, would appear, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

"That Emiya boy... He's quite an interesting one," the Servant commented, holding his chin briefly, "However, he's a risk in many ways. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but those are just the possibilities I see. He could be a Master for all we knew, attempting to get the jump on Rin by posing as an innocent bystander. Or perhaps he really is just a bystander, which would be troublesome, because his death would decrease Rin's morale if his so-called friend is who I assume it to be..."

Frank didn't speak for several seconds. When he did, he seemed uncertain. "Archer... you'll be accompanying Rin to school, yes? Keep an eye on him... and anyone else. We can't risk her getting hurt when I'm not around. And- if things keep going as they are- we may have to seek shelter... from someone Rin might not... approve of."​

01f.png

"Always thinking ahead, eh? Funny, I was about to suggest the same thing,"
Archer quipped back, glancing in the direction Shirou had gone off in, "Even without me, I'd say Rin is quite safe in broad daylight as long as she's surrounded by a lot of people. Only a fool of the highest order would engage in a fight in public. Especially when magecraft is something known only to a few people."

So it was like Harry Potter, y'know? There were people who knew of magic, and filthy Muggles.

"If we do have to resort to such as seeking shelter anywhere else... Well, if I remember the rules of the Holy Grail War correctly, as long as you reside in the local Church headed by the War's Overseer, he will protect you and provide Sanctuary. But only if you are defeated in the War, yet are spared for whatever reason. Tell me, you wouldn't happen to be acquainted with the priest there, would you?"

Haha.

Oh boy.​

Last edited:
Frank rubbed his temples. "Yes... I know him. Unfortunately. He said he'd protect us from otherworldly bullshit." The old man began to pace.

At least this Archer was tolerable. Hell, even likeable. The other one... Frank was actually starting to wonder if this one was just acting. Regardless, they needed to focus. "You can shoot, right? And make swords fall from the sky and shit?"​

Last edited by a moderator:
01a.png

"..."

He gave Frank a silent look for a brief moment, before eventually responding.

"Yes, I suppose I can, but I don't believe I ever mentioned that to you. How do you happen to know that?"

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Klutzy Ninja Kitty
Frank blinked. "Oh. You don't know about Murder... right. I was part of a series of events known as the 'Murder Games', run by a certain demon we only recently defeated, along with people from many other universes. You- or, at least, some version of you- were there. He was... more irritating. But, I saw him use those abilities. I'm not... from this universe, myself."​

"Other universes, eh? Hmm, so I see that Zelretch's Second Magic isn't the only thing that can travel through different dimensions and worlds. Interesting, very interesting," Archer nodded thoughtfully, putting a hand to his chin in thought, "If whatever Heroic Spirit you saw there seemed to look just like me, yet act so differently, it's quite a pleasant surprise that we get along so swimmingly," he commented with an amused tone, "Yes, I had assumed that you weren't of this world, yet I suppose in the long run, it matters little if magecraft seemed to be fairly common from where you reside as well. Perhaps that would help to explain how you'd manage to take on a self-proclaimed magician like Terra of the Left. Tch, it is quite obvious that he was not from this world, as in this realm, magicians refer to only the most powerful of mages, but I digress."

- - -

Shortly afterward, roughly an hour later, Rin, still dressed in her pajamas, would lumber out of her room and into the sitting area while Archer seemed to be in the nearby kitchen, preparing some breakfast and tea. For a warrior who seemed to know much of sacrifice, pain, and war, he seemed... surprisingly well housebroken.

It wouldn't take long for the girl to notice the lunch box on the counter, and naturally, she gave a somewhat surprised reaction.

02a.png

"Eh? Archer, you went ahead and made lunch for me too? You didn't need to do that. I usually get my lunch at the school anyway."

"Oh, no, no. I didn't make it for you, Rin."

"... Huh? Then... Frank?"

Last edited:
Frank, in the process of tapping his knee anxiously while looking out at his Battle-Van 2.0, looked up in surprise. "Ah... no. It was some boy. Emiya, I think his name was? And another friend of yours, as well." He stood up. "He said hello." Frank crossed his arms and rocked back on his heels... but couldn't hide the somewhat mischievous smirk that formed on his face.​

02c.png

"E-Eh? Emiya...?"
Rin blinked in mild surprise, a small hint of red appearing on her cheeks, though she'd quickly attempt to do away with it, shaking her head. "He... stopped by? When did he do that? And why?"

"It would seem that our encounter on the rooftop last night was... less than subtle, it appears," Archer answered with an amused tone, "But I imagine it wasn't the only reason he wanted to stop by."

"I can already tell what you're trying to do, and I already don't like it," she grumbled, taking the lunch box and looking at it, before speaking again in a somewhat bashful tone, "Hmph... I'll have to tell him thanks when I can. And whoever helped him. Probably sis for all I know..."

Last edited:
"He didn't say her name, but it certainly sounded like your sister. A 'friend you recently became close to.'" He got quiet for a few seconds. Rin's reaction to hearing the boy's name simply cemented his suspicions. Again, he felt a mixture of anger, jealousy, pride, and happiness. For now, the old man was shamelessly to the point. "He seemed nice. Maybe you should ask to hang out with him... after all this war stuff is over, anyways. And, once we deal with... whoever these invaders are."

His massive arms crossed over his chest. "For that matter, when does the war start?" Frank was looking a little twitchy. Retired as he was, he was still a fighter at heart and this was a war. The sort of thing he'd always enjoyed, but said he didn't. His trigger finger had an itch, and he seemed quite ready to scratch it.

The image of his gore-covered features and huge grin may come to mind.​

"I see..." Rin nodded as Frank would speak of Shirou, closing the lunchbox for now and stretching her arms, "... I don't know. Even with all the help I have, I can only hope, but I can't fully expect to get out of this fight alive. I'd like to imagine I'm prepared to die, and if I do at this moment, then I'd like to think that I wouldn't have any regrets when I go. I made my peace with who I wanted to, and so on. I can't afford to think about things normal girls think about, like boys and so forth," the young girl spoke distantly, looking out the window, "I don't deserve any more wishes, but this is for the sake of my family. Our reputation. And for my sister..."

As for Frank's question, Archer would answer. "For all intents and purposes, it has already started. I know that there are other Servants out there, hidden in the city, and though I cannot fully ascertain their locations, the only thing I know is that while not every Servant has been summoned, and that not every Master has been chosen, the fight has already begun. Of course, we must also take care not to run into any more of those cretins who intend on starting some third World War," the man in red shrugged, putting a hand on his hip, before a smirk would tug at his lips, "But of course, a girl's education is more important than her wars, eh?" He asked facetiously, to which Rin would briefly roll her eyes, leaving the living room for a brief amount of time.

Before long, she would return, dressed in her school clothes. Packing the lunchbox dropped off earlier by Shirou, Rin would prepare to leave. "Though I'm personally against the idea of leaving my home vulnerable again, Kirei insisted that I continue to go about my daily life no matter what and keep all the other strange happenings to myself for now while he conducted his own investigation. I assume that you can take care of things while I'm gone?"

Frank cringed at what Rin said. She was so young. She should be concerned with the college she'd go to, or with boys... not violence. Not death. She'd be able to, though... eventually. Frank would be sure of that. He listened to Archer's explanation and simply nodded. Made sense. As for Rin's question, he grunted.

"I can hold down the fort. Can't promise my methods will keep it in the beat shape if something goes wrong, but I'll watch out for trouble." He crossed his arms. "You said not to, Rin, but, if anyone tried for you with death in their eyes, I'm going to kill them."​

Beat.

One could almost see a sweatdrop appear on Rin's forehead as she would purse his lips.

"N-No, keep them alive. If only because they could have some info we'd need," Rin said with a sigh, brushing aside some hair, "Is that understood? Good, good. Anyway, I'm off. Bye," she would leave with a wave, exiting the house along with Archer, turning into his invisible spirit form to watch over the teenaged girl in the meantime.

- - -

The day was surprisingly, if not suspiciously, quiet and peaceful. Once Rin would return home from class in the afternoon, she would sit down at the couch in the sitting room, looking around for Frank as she'd set down her bag.

"Frank, are you around? I've got an announcement to make; I think we should start patrolling around the city for real. Go look for other Masters to fight."

Last edited:
Frank grumbled as she left. Granted, it was unlikely he'd listen to her and his methods of extracting information would have been rather gruesome. Worse than death.

Upon her return, Frank was just... sitting there. Cleaning an array of guns all neatly laid out on the dinner table. It was almost comically stereoptypical, but Frank didn't care. He just liked his guns. He almost seemed to perk up at this news. "That's good with me."​

"I figured as much you'd say that," Rin said with a nod, "I'd recommend packing enough to be pretty well off, but also not too heavy to be slowed down in any way. If we do come across a Servant, leave it to Archer. You and I will use that time to try to go around and try to find their Master. If we do find a Master and beat 'em... if you can help it, I'd like to ask that you don't kill them. Send 'em off to Kirei's church where he provides sanctuary for Masters who have surrendered. In my book, spending a fortnight with him is a fate worse than death," the teenager sighed, brushing aside some hair that had gotten on her shoulder.

"We've decided that the best time to start patrolling would be around sundown. There'll be less people around by then, and thus, a lesser chance of being caught. Do you have any other questions, Mr. Castle?"

"Yeah, yeah... don't kill anyone. I get it. No, I don't have any questions. I'll follow at a distance. When they reveal themselves, I'll wing them with rubber bullets. Is that okay with you?" He crossed his arms and frowned, probably grumpy due to the lack of murder in this plan. "Do you have an actual plan, or are you just going to run in like... every 'hero' from my universe?"

With a muttering growl, his increasingly cheery disposition seemed to have been replaced once again by his old, perpetually angry one in wake of the task ahead.​

story_emy_0000_ps20004.png

"I suppose it would be a useless gesture to ask if you're familiar or used to this kind of job," Archer commented nonchalantly, crossing his arms and offering a small shrug at Frank, unable to offer any input on the comment of heroes. Heroic Spirit he may be in technical terms, but the concepts of true heroics were something he'd rather not indulge in. Not after everything he had seen in his life, despite what he may have forgotten, or claim to have forgotten.

"Ah... well, I suppose when you describe it like "running around," it makes it sound less of a good idea to just wander," Rin said, somewhat surprised, "But I mean, we're not doing a planned assault or anything. Just doing a sort of patrol of the city to see if we might bump into other Masters who have the same idea. Who knows? We might even get lucky and find more about those people that attacked us earlier. In the best case scenario, we kill two birds with one stone. Worst case scenario, nothing happens and we go home."

"I believe the worst case scenario is we all die."

"Shut it."

"As you wish."

"Anyway, once it's time, we'll start in the major places, like the park, the school, and so on, so get ready, alright?"

Last edited:
"I'm used to non-lethals... but I don't like it." He went outside and grabbed a few clips for his Glock, loading them with the special rubber bullets, and sticking them in his bag. "You two ready?" The old man put the pistol in a holster under his shirt. "This could get hairy, if they aren't as nice as we are... or if more of those people show up. Be ready for the worst. Hope for the best."

Chances are, he wasn't just carrying rubber bullets.​

Rin nodded.

"Ready as I'll ever be..."

- - -

Once night fell and the sun disappeared from the city, the streets cleared up relatively quickly. Almost not a single soul was in sight, save for the occasional passerby on the streets or the occasional lone car. Still, either way, they would keep to the rooftops, believing that that would be a good place to watch over the city.

It was almost surprisingly quiet, though of course, it was doubtful that just any old Servant and Master would be dumb enough to let themselves be detected so easily. If anything, they were probably having the same plans as Rin did in mind, keeping to the shadows yet looking outside of them as well.

From the city center to the park, to the cemetery to the bridge, it seemed that everything was empty. Almost too empty. Still, there didn't seem to be anyone watching the group as far as anyone could tell. For now.

Eventually, their final stop would be at the school. In Rin's opinion, "women's intuition" as she would call it, it seemed likely that there would at least be a few other Masters who would be fellow students. She could make assumptions about a few, though assumptions meant nothing when lives of people were at stake.

oVT5xMz.png

"Hmph. Are you sure we'll find something?" Archer would ask skeptically to Rin, who would give an annoyed look in response, the young girl crossing her arms with a small pout.

"No, but that's the point of patrolling. Exploring the place to make sure nothing's out of place."

"I thought our goal was actively searching for enemies though."

"S-Shut up."

"Hmph. Frank, how does it look from your end? Anything out of the ordinary?" Archer would ask, using his magecraft to carry his voice over to where Frank might be, assuming that he was in a different position than the other two.​

Frank, standing thirty or forty feet away, grunted. He started scanning the area through his scope. "I'll be sure to tell you if I see something. After I shoot it." The old man seemed uneasy. This might go south. If it did, Rin would be his priority. He'd get her out. No matter what.​

Status
Not open for further replies.