If you were left behind.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Unfortunately, they seem to be the majority." You let the actions of a few represent a unseen majority Nyd, no wonder she went on the defensive. That's putting the blame on catholics for the actions of people they never met. YOu do realize that right?

Kaga, be glad your not muslim, You'd be called a terrorist many a time in your life. :D. People like to generalize, they need targets.

Then why does no one talk about those other assholes?

Why does everyone single out Catholics as if they're the ones who, for sure, will be the awful ones?

Why do people say -- "Well, religion in general would be a good thing in this situation, but Catholics? Nah, they're gonna fuck shit up".

And I mean I'm not even trying to single you out anymore because you probably didn't mean it. It's just a mindset everyone seems to have. Again, it almost seems like Catholic = Christian extremist, pretty much every time it's brought up, and that really bothers me.

Of course usually I just shut my giant mouth and let people talk about Catholics that way, because I don't wanna defend Catholics and look like an idiot. Cuz like, getting butthurt on the internet -- that's kind of what religious people of all kinds are known for, yeah? Wouldn't wanna contribute to that stereotype.

I dunno, I'm in a mood tonight, I guess. Felt the need to say something...
Don't feel bad. I was in a mood all of last week.

The reason that people talk about Catholics so much is because Catholics are one of the most verbal religious groups out there. They pretty much condemn everything and they have no problems at all broadcasting it. The new Pope though, I have to admit he has really done a great job trying to improve the Catholic image, and I have a lot of respect for him because of it. I think if there were more people who shared his opinions, the Catholic religion wouldn't catch so much crap.

Plus, I'm kind of biased. I was emotionally scarred from sex ed.

Seriously, imaging being 12 years old in a room full of boys and girls, told you can't laugh and then have a NUN describe what a penis feels like.....the words soft and rubbery never sounded so hilarious in my entire life.

Nyd. Evangelist have fucked up human rights all across africa, yet you hear far less about them. :D

Don't feel bad. I was in a mood all of last week.

The reason that people talk about Catholics so much is because Catholics are one of the most verbal religious groups out there. They pretty much condemn everything and they have no problems at all broadcasting it. The new Pope though, I have to admit he has really done a great job trying to improve the Catholic image, and I have a lot of respect for him because of it. I think if there were more people who shared his opinions, the Catholic religion wouldn't catch so much crap.

But there are more people, though. Lots of them. That's what I'm trying to get at.

A vocal minority managed to shape your opinion of an entire religious sect. Ok. Now what I'm trying to say is it's a vocal minority.

Most Catholics aren't like that. Not in my experience, anyway.

Hence why I got more than a bit defensive when you said that the assholish Catholics "seem to be the majority". :/

@_@

Okay, apparently no one seems to get what I'm trying to point out.

The main religion I've dealt with my entire life is Catholicism. Once I abandoned it, I abandoned all forms of religion. I don't read about them. I don't pay attention to them. I just don't care.

The majority of the Catholics that I've dealt with are assholes. I'm not saying ALL Catholics are assholes, because I have not met 100% of them. But from where I live, and I've met quite a few over 50% of the 100 or so people that I've met just in Florida, and not including the kids I went to Catholic school with and their families, they were all assholes. I'm sorry, but I can't condone anyone, no matter what religion, who feels they have the right to shame someone because of their sexual orientation. I don't care if they're from the fucking Church of the Fonz! I cannot condone anyone, race, religion, sex, height I don't give a damn, who thinks they have the right to tell people that they're going to hell because that person doesn't abide by the rules that a religion set. That is what I, me personally, has dealt with my entire life. The majority of Catholics that I know, that I have met, this isn't about people I don't know, it's the people that I DO know, and yes, they are fucking assholes.

So yes, where I live, and where I'm moving to, the Catholics would be the majority because that is the most practiced religion where I grew up. In some other area they might not be so bad, but from where I am, and where I'm going, they would be fucking horrible.

Did I clear it up yet? @_@

And this is why you're not supposed to talk about Religion and Politics! No one agrees, but they won't agree to disagree.

@_@

Okay, apparently no one seems to get what I'm trying to point out.

The main religion I've dealt with my entire life is Catholicism. Once I abandoned it, I abandoned all forms of religion. I don't read about them. I don't pay attention to them. I just don't care.

The majority of the Catholics that I've dealt with are assholes. I'm not saying ALL Catholics are assholes, because I have not met 100% of them. But from where I live, and I've met quite a few over 50% of the 100 or so people that I've met just in Florida, and not including the kids I went to Catholic school with and their families, they were all assholes. I'm sorry, but I can't condone anyone, no matter what religion, who feels they have the right to shame someone because of their sexual orientation. I don't care if they're from the fucking Church of the Fonz! I cannot condone anyone, race, religion, sex, height I don't give a damn, who thinks they have the right to tell people that they're going to hell because that person doesn't abide by the rules that a religion set. That is what I, me personally, has dealt with my entire life. The majority of Catholics that I know, that I have met, this isn't about people I don't know, it's the people that I DO know, and yes, they are fucking assholes.

So yes, where I live, and where I'm moving to, the Catholics would be the majority because that is the most practiced religion where I grew up. In some other area they might not be so bad, but from where I am, and where I'm going, they would be fucking horrible.

Did I clear it up yet? @_@

You're clear now. I get what you're saying now, it's just... a while ago, you basically said "the majority of Catholics are like this [meaning, assholes]".

And this whole conversation started when you said "Well religion might be a good thing, but it would the the Catholics shaming everyone and saying they're going to hell" and then of course I was upset by that mindset that everyone equates Catholics as being the worst that Christianity has to offer.

Again, not singling you out in that regard, just... you can see where I'm coming from, right? Even if it's not what you really meant, it was just a certain way of saying it that... yeah. It's the way so many people jump on that bandwagon that bugs me.

I think that's enough, guys. We'll close the thread if this continues.

All in favor of striking Grumpy before he can attack, raise your hand!

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
What Fluffers said.

Let's get back to the important shit. Like how I would be a great post-rapture cult leader.
Are there ferrets in this realm?

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
*Was about to go on a very long post defending Religion... No I'm serious guys, I'm not joking*

*See's it's been resolved already*

Well, glad that's been resolved.

Why am I getting face huggers for defending religion?

Is this an atheist way of going "You are not atheist enough! Burn in Church!"?

I'm giving hugs to everyone, because I can. :P

I'm giving hugs to everyone, because I can. :P
Ah, you're just spreading my children to others then?
You may proceed. :3

We could incorporate ferrets in as some sort of holy animal. Every cult needs a holy animal.
I'll be your head priest then. Every cult needs a guy who keeps the sheep in charge and informs the leader of dissent in the ranks.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Hana
...I'm gonna have to have you killed at some point though, aren't I?

The priesthood always gets uppity.

...I'm gonna have to have you killed at some point though, aren't I?

The priesthood always gets uppity.
Not if I'm a false believer who's really in it for political security. After all, being at the top is dangerous, but being a pleb is equally so... :ferret:

Reactions: Grumpy
Status
Not open for further replies.