If you were left behind.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has far more faith in humanity than I do. X_x Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I see lots of suicide by cop, reckless behavior, and all out stupidity.
b7Ew2qa.jpg

The only person in my family that matters enough to me that I'd probably go apeshit about is my sister, and after losing everyone nobody would need me anymore so I'd either die or just move on without ever being happy again.

What do you think? Do you think the world would end up worse than it is if there was some type of Rapture event? Would you be able to survive it with your sanity intact, or would you go nuts?

I'll be here with my Darwin Genuine Draft mates.

In all seriousness? Well. Societies would spend a great deal of time recovering, but unless apocalypse-level events followed, I doubt society would completely collapse as we know it. I'd be able to survive with sanity intact, rather, I'd be morbidly curious about what happened. I'd try my best to gather those in closest vicinity and organize efforts to maintain order. In a couple generations, we'd recover, get back on our feet, and keep going.

I guess there'd also be a lot more Christians after the fact... Assuming it was the Christian rapture. At the very least it would confirm something beyond our physical comprehension exists. :ferret:

Reactions: Hana
Everyone has far more faith in humanity than I do. X_x Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I see lots of suicide by cop, reckless behavior, and all out stupidity.
Oh I definitely see a lot of shitty people becoming even shittier human beings when thrown into a 'dog eats dog' world where laws don't constrain them.
And that these people will be vast, troublesome and cause this dark age of humanity to last far longer than it needs to.

But in terms of the human species overall and it's end result?
I'm thinking humanity's need to unite and work together (along with the simple strategic benefits of creating communities) will triumph.

I don't know. I think after watching the entire season of The Leftovers, the guy was pretty spot on. Between the rise in cults, false 'prophets', the people who simply go crazy and don't know how to act, there really wouldn't be that much hope for sane people not to lose their minds. I'm kind of leaning in agreement with the book/show in the idea that people would slowly go crazy until they either snapped all together, or insanity became the new normal.

Mind you, there's no apocalyptic events, nothing devastating to the world at all. A portion of the population just disappears in thin air with no warning at all. The chances of not knowing someone who's disappeared are slim. Somewhere you'd find there was someone missing in your life, even if it was a favorite actor or author, or someone you admired.

The reason I don't have much faith in humanity is because everyone grieves differently, and there wouldn't be many people who weren't affected by losing someone. Add to the fact that there would be cults running around constantly reminding people of what happened, it'd be harder and harder for people to move on. No one trulyld likes being miserable all of the time, and after a while it would just drag everyone down.

From a statistical standpoint though, I think it could possibly do the Earth some good if you think about it. If one billion people suddenly disappeared off the face of the planet, it would mean less resources used. The people left behind would be more considerate with procreating, because there would always be a fear that their child would be taken. That's probably the only real benefit that I can see.

Between the rise in cults, false 'prophets', the people who simply go crazy and don't know how to act, there really wouldn't be that much hope for sane people not to lose their minds. I'm kind of leaning in agreement with the book/show in the idea that people would slowly go crazy until they either snapped all together, or insanity became the new normal.
Religious influence and ability would obviously rise (and become troublesome) while creating cults, I agree with that completely.
Though at the same time everyone deals with loss at some point, and humanity doesn't get destroyed as a result.
They have others to comfort each other with.
Add to the fact that there would be cults running around constantly reminding people of what happened, it'd be harder and harder for people to move on. No one trulyld likes being miserable all of the time, and after a while it would just drag everyone down.
As much as I disagree with the system and rationality of Religion I do have to get it credit where it's due.
It's just as good as resolving issues as it is at prolonging them. It may do it with bad side effects however like simply going "God will protect me" instead of taking proper safety measures.

If anything religion would have the potential to heal and rebuild society better than any other force.
People would just need to be careful to find the sincere ones and not the ISIS kinds, and obviously cases like teaching evolution are going to go backwards for a while.
But in all honesty? I'd rather humanity get a bit behind on science for bit but be united, rather than focus so hard of preserving it that we cause countless people to grieve to death.
From a statistical standpoint though, I think it could possibly do the Earth some good if you think about it. If one billion people suddenly disappeared off the face of the planet, it would mean less resources used. The people left behind would be more considerate with procreating, because there would always be a fear that their child would be taken. That's probably the only real benefit that I can see.
“If all the insects were to disappear from the earth, within 50 years all life on earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.”

Last edited:
See, I have to disagree about religion. I know there are some religions that would use a Rapture to try and convince people to do better with the time they have, but I can see others like the Catholic religion using it to point out what is wrong with the world. Most of the damn teachings are already telling people what is a sin, how God is constantly watching and judging. It's 'Don't do this or you're going to hell'. (Of course that seems to have changed a bit with the new pope, which I'm glad they finally put someone with an open mind in the position!) In the end, it would only lead to persecution of anyone that goes against the Catholic beliefs, and in some cases if a person is a fanatic, end up in violence.

I don't think we disagree about this as much as you think we do.

I completely agree that religion has a lot of awful practices, and that said practices would get worse in a rapture situation.
Hell looking at stuff like the crusades it has proven itself to be capable of being a very hateful movement.

But at the same time, not every single aspect of it is bad.
Yes there is enough bad about it that in today's world I would rather see society be rid of it (The practice of religion, not the music, art, communities etc it helped create).
But at the same time there are some good elements, most of which mind you in today's day are either redundant or found elsewhere.

However if we looked back to ancient times? There's a lot it played a role in with regards to shaping humanity, curiosity, creating larger communities etc.
So in a nutshell...

TLDR; Religion is a double edged sword, with one edge being very worn down. It has some benefits but a lot of flaws.
But if you went back many years to a less advanced or broken age (which a rapture could very well send us back to), that worn down blade would be much sharper due to the current situation at hand.

>Get bunch of lost, confused and traumatised people under your banner (bonus points if any of them have police/military experience)
>Hit one of the many now-abandoned military depots/institutions and grab everything that isn't nailed down (maybe pry some stuff up too, especially if they're explosive)
>Concoct awesome end-world scenario with you as the lone figure of truth at its centre (delicious creation of us vs them mentality)
>Locate relatively remote, easily-defendable location and begin to stockpile it with resources and manpower
>Live through the apocalypse in fashion as the leader of your very own doomsday cult

I can dig it.

• Love
Reactions: Hana and Brovo
If a rapture ever happens, we take down Grumpy first before he attempts to become a dictator.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I am a introvert who depends on others to activate me. I'd shrivel up in grief and die if I suddenly lost my family and friends. No lies. Just. curl up. Death.

See, I have to disagree about religion. I know there are some religions that would use a Rapture to try and convince people to do better with the time they have, but I can see others like the Catholic religion using it to point out what is wrong with the world. Most of the damn teachings are already telling people what is a sin, how God is constantly watching and judging. It's 'Don't do this or you're going to hell'. (Of course that seems to have changed a bit with the new pope, which I'm glad they finally put someone with an open mind in the position!) In the end, it would only lead to persecution of anyone that goes against the Catholic beliefs, and in some cases if a person is a fanatic, end up in violence.

You know.

Not all Catholics are terrible, close-minded people.

Some Catholics are pretty nice people who just wanna reach out and help the world.

Some Catholics go to a church where they've never heard anyone say "do this or you're going to hell".

Also that same church has a science teacher who's a priest. Who's pretty much specifically stated that science and religion don't have to clash. Which is pretty cool.

I'm getting off-topic.

But yeah, my point is, Catholicism is an entire denomination of Christianity. While I can't argue that some extremists might be a negative force, it's really kind of insulting to paint all of Catholicism as a bad thing. Lots of Catholics would probably be very nice, helpful people, only wanting to rebuild.

I mean I realize that this is a fictional scenario but like, it bugs me to see people constantly equating Catholics with the worst that Christianity has to offer. We're not that bad, guys. We have extremists and sane people just like every other religion/sect. :/

I'd probably cry.
-At first.

But knowing me, I'd likely come to terms with it and hoard a lot of peanut butter, and crackers.

You know.

Not all Catholics are terrible, close-minded people.

Some Catholics are pretty nice people who just wanna reach out and help the world.

Some Catholics go to a church where they've never heard anyone say "do this or you're going to hell".

Also that same church has a science teacher who's a priest. Who's pretty much specifically stated that science and religion don't have to clash. Which is pretty cool.

I'm getting off-topic.

But yeah, my point is, Catholicism is an entire denomination of Christianity. While I can't argue that some extremists might be a negative force, it's really kind of insulting to paint all of Catholicism as a bad thing. Lots of Catholics would probably be very nice, helpful people, only wanting to rebuild.

I mean I realize that this is a fictional scenario but like, it bugs me to see people constantly equating Catholics with the worst that Christianity has to offer. We're not that bad, guys. We have extremists and sane people just like every other religion/sect. :/
The Catholic church would not baptize my daughter because my husband is a Baptist, they also would not marry us because he wasn't Catholic. According to the priest we spoke to, I was no better off marrying him than I was being an unwed mother.

I went to church every Sunday from the time I was three years old until I was fifteen, and after that I went every so often. I was taught sex ed by a nun named Sister Elizabeth while she was wearing a full habit. The Catholics that I grew up with are like my mother who is as closed minded as a person can be. She's racists, sexist, and pretty much any type of ist you can think of. There are some Catholics who are decent, but the majority that I've crossed paths with are assholes.

Case in point: There was a lady with cancer sitting outside a church asking for signatures to legalize medical marijuana. Now, I don't smoke weed, but I do have family who has gone through Chemo, and I know being able to smoke pot would help them with their appetite. Some lady walks out of the church while I was signing the position and told me I should have my kids taken away for being a drug addict simply because I signed a petition. These are the assholes I'm talking about, the ones who judge people because they go against what they believe. Unfortunately, they seem to be the majority.

The Catholic church would not baptize my daughter because my husband is a Baptist, they also would not marry us because he wasn't Catholic. According to the priest we spoke to, I was no better off marrying him than I was being an unwed mother.

I went to church every Sunday from the time I was three years old until I was fifteen, and after that I went every so often. I was taught sex ed by a nun named Sister Elizabeth while she was wearing a full habit. The Catholics that I grew up with are like my mother who is as closed minded as a person can be. She's racists, sexist, and pretty much any type of ist you can think of. There are some Catholics who are decent, but the majority that I've crossed paths with are assholes.

Case in point: There was a lady with cancer sitting outside a church asking for signatures to legalize medical marijuana. Now, I don't smoke weed, but I do have family who has gone through Chemo, and I know being able to smoke pot would help them with their appetite. Some lady walks out of the church while I was signing the position and told me I should have my kids taken away for being a drug addict simply because I signed a petition. These are the assholes I'm talking about, the ones who judge people because they go against what they believe. Unfortunately, they seem to be the majority.

I apologize that you had a bad experience with Catholics.

I apologize for every person in the world who's had a bad experience with Catholics because apparently we're some sort of fucking plague.

I apologize for the fact that I'm standing here on my little soapbox trying to defend Catholics when apparently I'm the odd one out for having never met any of the hellscum that everyone else knows us to be.

I apologize for applying common sense in arguing that only some people of a certain religion are assholes (which, you know, kind of applies to everything) when apparently it actually really doesn't apply to Catholics because apparently they're all terrible people and if one isn't terrible then holy shit they're like some sort of shiny Pokemon.

I apologize for growing up surrounded by shiny Pokemon.

But most of all, I apologize for being so butthurt.

I should go to bed. Early.

Or maybe just watch videos of cats on Youtube in some attempt to cheer myself up idfk.

Reactions: Holmishire

And you just painted a entire group of people, as terrible people due to having bad experiences. You are ready to discredit everyone of a religion, regardless of regional influences, education, past experiences and indiviual traits. Congrats. You are your mother. You are being very... "ist", right now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND............
This has become a thread about Catholics.

• Love
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND............
This has become a thread about Catholics.

I apologize for that, too.

I apologize that you had a bad experience with Catholics.

I apologize for every person in the world who's had a bad experience with Catholics because apparently we're some sort of fucking plague.

I apologize for the fact that I'm standing here on my little soapbox trying to defend Catholics when apparently I'm the odd one out for having never met any of the hellscum that everyone else knows us to be.

I apologize for applying common sense in arguing that only some people of a certain religion are assholes (which, you know, kind of applies to everything) when apparently it actually really doesn't apply to Catholics because apparently they're all terrible people and if one isn't terrible then holy shit they're like some sort of shiny Pokemon.

I apologize for growing up surrounded by shiny Pokemon.

But most of all, I apologize for being so butthurt.

I should go to bed. Early.

Or maybe just watch videos of cats on Youtube in some attempt to cheer myself up idfk.
You're taking what I said way too hard! I'm not against Catholics as a whole, just the ones who think that the world rises and sets out of God's ass, and there's quite a few of them.

There are assholes of all religions, and they would be the ones that would end up ruining people's lives. My personal experience as a Catholic was enough to make me forego all organized religion and call myself an Atheist, because I truly do not believe there is a God. I don't believe in Aliens, or anything like that, I don't believe in anything at all. People say that makes me close minded, but I don't try to push that belief onto other people. If they want to believe in God that's their decision, all I ask is I be given the same respect and be allowed to not believe in anything at all.

I can't even count how many times I've been told I'm going to burn in hell. Usually my reply is 'I'm already in hell. Do you watch the news?'

The world is full of assholes of all kinds. My point is that the assholes are the ones who will take over the world. They'll be the ones in everyone's face preaching that the people left behind are sinners of the worst kind, or that those who were taken were. Either way, it won't just be Catholics being the douches, but they'll certainly do their parts. But so will every other Tom, Dick, and Harry that thinks they know what happened and why.

You're taking what I said way too hard! I'm not against Catholics as a whole, just the ones who think that the world rises and sets out of God's ass, and there's quite a few of them.

There are assholes of all religions, and they would be the ones that would end up ruining people's lives. My personal experience as a Catholic was enough to make me forego all organized religion and call myself an Atheist, because I truly do not believe there is a God. I don't believe in Aliens, or anything like that, I don't believe in anything at all. People say that makes me close minded, but I don't try to push that belief onto other people. If they want to believe in God that's their decision, all I ask is I be given the same respect and be allowed to not believe in anything at all.

I can't even count how many times I've been told I'm going to burn in hell. Usually my reply is 'I'm already in hell. Do you watch the news?'

The world is full of assholes of all kinds. My point is that the assholes are the ones who will take over the world. They'll be the ones in everyone's face preaching that the people left behind are sinners of the worst kind, or that those who were taken were. Either way, it won't just be Catholics being the douches, but they'll certainly do their parts. But so will every other Tom, Dick, and Harry that thinks they know what happened and why.

Then why does no one talk about those other assholes?

Why does everyone single out Catholics as if they're the ones who, for sure, will be the awful ones?

Why do people say -- "Well, religion in general would be a good thing in this situation, but Catholics? Nah, they're gonna fuck shit up".

And I mean I'm not even trying to single you out anymore because you probably didn't mean it. It's just a mindset everyone seems to have. Again, it almost seems like Catholic = Christian extremist, pretty much every time it's brought up, and that really bothers me.

Of course usually I just shut my giant mouth and let people talk about Catholics that way, because I don't wanna defend Catholics and look like an idiot. Cuz like, getting butthurt on the internet -- that's kind of what religious people of all kinds are known for, yeah? Wouldn't wanna contribute to that stereotype.

I dunno, I'm in a mood tonight, I guess. Felt the need to say something...

Status
Not open for further replies.