"If you hit a man, don't be surprised if he hits back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Equal rights, equal fights.

Also, why the hell does everyone have Solaire signatures now? Did I miss something?

The whole broad question of "when is it okay to hit back?" is greatly flawed. See, it doesn't matter who is on either side of the equation. Male, female, trans, intersex, young, old, body builder, scrawny twig, able bodied, in a wheelchair, whatever, I don't care what the attacker or victim's particular description is: if the victim feels endangered by the situation, they are totally in the right to strike back in order to stop the attacker. This concept is known as self defense. This hinges upon the defending party only striking back enough to stop the assault, by the way. If a big macho dude is getting the shit slapped out of him by a guy a third his size, a single punch ought to straighten things out. It's all about stopping the attacker, not about injuring them or getting revenge upon them. Stop the attacker, then remove yourself from the situation. Doesn't matter if you're a big guy getting slapped by a tiny woman, doesn't matter if you're a woman being punched by a guy, do whatever is necessary to protect yourself and you're in the right.

The only point at which gender or anything else ought to come into the question is when determining what the minimum required force to stop an attacker is. Women do not get a free pass to hit men just because they have a vagina. Trans and intersex people don't get a free pass because of their status. Various racial minorities don't get to slap white people around without repercussion just because they're a minority. There is no free pass here. If you attack someone, then self defense is invoked and they are 100% within their moral and legal rights to stop you with violence, end of story.

Seriously just boils down to "Treat others the way you want to be treated." If you're an ass and hit someone, you better expect to be treated like an ass and get hit in return. If you don't you're an idiot.

How many ways can things go wrong if you respond with violence?

If it's someone on the street, you either:
- get the cops called
- they get backup
- they get angry and pull a weapon on you (what now? are you going to knock them out? kill them?)

If it's a relationship, does she:
- have postpartum?
- hormonal issues (birth control)?
- have a mental illness?

And once you strike a partner back, I'm pretty sure all bets are off (if they weren't already).

Furthermore, the law and courts usually work irrespective of what you think. Most judgement seems to favour women.

The trivial answer to all of these points is "if they're trying to hurt you, you should stop them!". You can also deescalate by running away, putting a barrier between yourself, and in general making any good faith effort to avoid retaliating with violence.

I just get around this by preemptively punching everyone I come across with a haymaker. You can't make bad judgement calls in tense situations if you just cut the foreplay and come out swinging if they get within 5 feet because it's a rigid standard you never deviate from.

Old lady with the grocery bags I met at the cross walk, I am so sorry. I realized I started to engage before you got within the self-defense sphere and that was just ungentlemanly.

How many ways can things go wrong if you respond with violence?

If it's someone on the street, you either:
- get the cops called
- they get backup
- they get angry and pull a weapon on you (what now? are you going to knock them out? kill them?)

If it's a relationship, does she:
- have postpartum?
- hormonal issues (birth control)?
- have a mental illness?

And once you strike a partner back, I'm pretty sure all bets are off (if they weren't already).

Furthermore, the law and courts usually work irrespective of what you think. Most judgement seems to favour women.

The trivial answer to all of these points is "if they're trying to hurt you, you should stop them!". You can also deescalate by running away, putting a barrier between yourself, and in general making any good faith effort to avoid retaliating with violence.
tl;dr women win in the end, no matter who started it.

There's a video floating around of an experiment where a couple is arguing. In one, the man is pushing the woman around, hitting her. People start piling in against him no matter what. On the opposite, people watch and cheer on the woman for her violence.

I'm too lazy on the debate to dig out sources.

Sometimes trying to leave can cause escalation. Calling the cops can cause escalation. Bringing backup throws off all bets, anything more than one on one or bringing out a weapon. Bringing that weapon makes it a fight for your life.

Edit: I'm not getting into this. Too touchy a subject.

The whole broad question of "when is it okay to hit back?" is greatly flawed. See, it doesn't matter who is on either side of the equation. Male, female, trans, intersex, young, old, body builder, scrawny twig, able bodied, in a wheelchair, whatever, I don't care what the attacker or victim's particular description is: if the victim feels endangered by the situation, they are totally in the right to strike back in order to stop the attacker. This concept is known as self defense. This hinges upon the defending party only striking back enough to stop the assault, by the way. If a big macho dude is getting the shit slapped out of him by a guy a third his size, a single punch ought to straighten things out. It's all about stopping the attacker, not about injuring them or getting revenge upon them. Stop the attacker, then remove yourself from the situation. Doesn't matter if you're a big guy getting slapped by a tiny woman, doesn't matter if you're a woman being punched by a guy, do whatever is necessary to protect yourself and you're in the right.

The only point at which gender or anything else ought to come into the question is when determining what the minimum required force to stop an attacker is. Women do not get a free pass to hit men just because they have a vagina. Trans and intersex people don't get a free pass because of their status. Various racial minorities don't get to slap white people around without repercussion just because they're a minority. There is no free pass here. If you attack someone, then self defense is invoked and they are 100% within their moral and legal rights to stop you with violence, end of story.
I'd qualify this. Self-defense is absolutely something I agree with, but the very concept requires that someone has put you into danger. A frail person cannot easily hurt an extremely strong person, and should not use their entire force to keep them at bay. Similarly, if a 5 year old starts wailing against you, slugging him could do a lot more harm than needed. It is a lot more effective to show that you can easily deal with their bullshit without using your full power.

Why do women always think that they can't get hit? They are human, they are feelings, and they are important to the world -just like men are too. I know it's a lot to take in, ladies (who think that they are protected by a special bubble). But, you're just like any other person in this world.

So, if you want to hit a guy, don't cry when you're hit back.

And there will be people who are like, "violence doesn't solve anything!". You know what I say to them, it does answer something. Like, if someone is trying to kill you, do you A) shot them with a gun or B) try to talk them into dropping the weapon.

You'd most likely to pick A, unless you're dumb as fuck. Violence will always be the last resort for most people; but, they will use it if they have to.

tl;dr If you hit a man/women, don't be crying if they hit back.

EDIT: I forgot about trans and other special people (besides men and women). Please don't feel like you're protected, because of some law that states that. If you hit somebody else, don't call the police and cry about it if they hit back.

Ah, the juices are flowing now.

Women should be freed from expectations of non-violence. They should be as deadly as men, just as feared and just as respected.

An anecdotal bit here:

A man is at a party and is lambasted by a woman. The cause is irrelevant (but minor). The verbal assault he is receiving quickly escalates to physical when she shoves him, as he ignores her. Eventually he turns around to tell her to leave him alone, in which she strikes him in the face and proceeds to say, "What, scared to hit a woman?" while he is stunned.

The man's girlfriend steps in, and the man decides to pull his girlfriend back from the offending woman. The woman proceeds to strike the man again, and attempt to strike the girlfriend. The man finally lays out the offending woman with a single strike to the face.

Half of the party is now on the phone with the police to turn in the man for assaulting the offending woman. He had "No right to hit a woman" they say.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
bruh... my dearest, oldest bruh... y u do dis 2 me

'Cuz motherfuckin' first of all, y'all's asses not supposed to be hitting anybody in the first goddamn place.

Second on that shit is that that entire sentiment is suspect as fuck all.

Why the fuck are folk feelin' like they got a "gotcha!" or they swear like they've added something worthwhile and meaningful when they bring up this particular, certain shit about being able to "hit back" when talkin' about treatin' people equally. Must've lost all their gotdamn marbles on that foolishness. Like that subject comes up and that fuckin' bullshit is the first thing out the mouth, not aaaany other shit but that?

Third, I'mma jump over all the sharks pre-emptively because I know, I know, a motherfucker is gonna be late to the clusterfuck and is gonna try and bring shit up like fuckin', "Surprise! Betcha never crossed your mind!" TSK on noise because boys'n men getting hit the fuck up too. But nobody wanna seem to talk about that type of shit by itself until we're talkin' about women getting beat first, I see wherethefuck some of y'all's priorities are.

A good-ass chunk of the time assholes approach this entire subject wrong and the whole thing goes down the toilet because they catch feelings and don't legit address shit except whether or not they themselves are culpable and complicit. Motherfuckers are fine and circlejerk with talkin' about individual threads but somehow talkin' about the pattern those threads weave escapes the purview of them. Fuck's sake.

Don't fuck with The View, lastly.

Fuck. Shit's made me tired. I'mma order me a pizza through the internets.

Ah, the juices are flowing now.

Women should be freed from expectations of non-violence. They should be as deadly as men, just as feared and just as respected.
Just as in the insect and other animal kingdom where females are genetically anatomically superior to males, so it is the opposite in others. That difference must be kept in mind whenever anyone thinks of striking back against a woman.

Also, anecdotes are icky. Statistics please.

Like most other's have said already, it doesn't matter what group you belong to, you should expect to get hit if you hit someone else.
Though obviously the defending person should aim to use the appropriate amount of force, not go completely overkill for no reason.

Because I'm sorry, but doing something like calling the cops on a guy for protecting himself is flat out sexist discrimination.
There's no way to sugar coat it, doing that is victim blaming someone for having a penis, and it should stop.
It is backwards thinking and does nothing to help society.

Also this is one of the studies in question for people varying reactions as to if the abuser is male or female.

• Love
Reactions: Gonzo
One thing feminists should get into their heads: if they want to be treated equal to a man, maybe they should understand how men treat each other. I'm female, but I don't like all this nonsense about 'double standard - female on male abuse'.

As you can see, I personally don't like feminists. I won't say more on that since this thread isn't about feminism.

What it all boils down to is (and it's probably been stated before), if a woman is going to hit a man first for no reason, and if she wants to be treated as an equal to a man, then she should know that the male is going to retaliate. There should be no double standard. Simple as that.

I'd qualify this. Self-defense is absolutely something I agree with, but the very concept requires that someone has put you into danger. A frail person cannot easily hurt an extremely strong person, and should not use their entire force to keep them at bay. Similarly, if a 5 year old starts wailing against you, slugging him could do a lot more harm than needed. It is a lot more effective to show that you can easily deal with their bullshit without using your full power.
That's what the whole "only use the force necessary to stop the violence" part of self defense is about. Sometimes the necessary response is to leave, sometimes a simple shove would do it, sometimes (say a person is coming at you with a knife) it would be reasonable to shoot the attacker. It's all situational.

I used to get into fistfights with my brother many years back, but I've noticed I've mellowed out (and in my brother's words, became a 'pansy') as I grew up. Maybe it's because my mother keeps on telling me 'a girl is not supposed to be violent', or expectations for me to act more ladylike and feminine, but I really miss those days when I could hit and expect to be hit back. Now I'm more of a passive-aggressive person who tries not to get into violent altercations with anyone, and I tend to flinch back instead of use my self-defense training. It sucks, but I have enough sense not to just let myself get wailed upon by others.

I really miss those days when I could hit and expect to be hit back.
Having liked contact activities/rough housing games (recreational, no official sport teams) I can relate. :P

But unless if it's playful roughhousing I do agree that it's smarter to avoid fighting when possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.