"If you hit a man, don't be surprised if he hits back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what the whole "only use the force necessary to stop the violence" part of self defense is about. Sometimes the necessary response is to leave, sometimes a simple shove would do it, sometimes (say a person is coming at you with a knife) it would be reasonable to shoot the attacker. It's all situational.
Indeed indeed. Also rereading your post, I feel a little silly realizing you basically already said this. *giggles*, looks like the test gauntlet drained me more than I realized.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jorick
(Disclaimer: No words used here have any connotations of 'good' or 'bad')

Why are you all trying to create equality where there isn't?

The average male is much stronger than the average female. A cursory glance at history will tell you that males are responsible for pretty much all war, violence, and atrocities through some combination of genetics, culture and society. Therefore, if you are faced with a situation where a women slaps you or punches you, just make a good faith effort to walk out the door before succumbing to your id and clocking her, yeah?

The average male is much stronger than the average female. A cursory glance at history will tell you that males are responsible for pretty much all war, violence, and atrocities through some combination of genetics, culture and society. Therefore, if you are faced with a situation where a women slaps you or punches you, just make a good faith effort to walk out the door before succumbing to your id and clocking her, yeah?
Perhaps she shouldn't have given in to hers and slapped or punched you? I dunno, this discussion is never so simple.

I'd qualify this. Self-defense is absolutely something I agree with, but the very concept requires that someone has put you into danger. A frail person cannot easily hurt an extremely strong person, and should not use their entire force to keep them at bay. Similarly, if a 5 year old starts wailing against you, slugging him could do a lot more harm than needed. It is a lot more effective to show that you can easily deal with their bullshit without using your full power.

On the contrary, starting a fight with an entire kindergarten class is excellent endurance training and it teaches you the fundamentals of dealing with multiple attackers, and you'll never underestimate anyone ever again when you experience such underhanded tactics as flying elbows off the handlebars, see saw tackles, and ambushers from the sandbox.

Once you have victory over kindergarden, you move up a grade. Upon beating grade 12, you are considered a wise and powerful martial artist and are required by law to open a dojo.

I'll hit anybody. You're all potential threats one way or another.

Grappling is a lot more socially acceptable, I've found.

Also I'm laughing at this video. I'm laughing so hard. Those reactions.

Nobody should hit anybody. One person may hit harder than another person, but honestly I don't fucking care. I do not advocate for hitting someone back in most cases. However, I don't think anyone should use their gender as a shield. Not if you want equality, anyway. If you hit someone and tell them they're not allowed to hit back, you're a hypocrite.

Because physical strength has nothing to do with this conversation.

It does not matter that men are, on average, stronger than women. It doesn't even begin to matter. Why? Because if some ignorant female, starts trying to pound the hell out of someone else, without any form of justifiable reason? She has waived any, and all, societal protections by assaulting the other party.

I do agree, that a Man, should never strike first (using "Man" as the societal archetype of masculinity of all sexes).
People, should never fight, if there is a non-violent option.
However, if persisting violence occurs from one party? The retaliatory violence is almost always the only way to cease that violence from continuation.

Now, if I personally, am ever hit by a woman, my reaction will be based on this:

Did I deserve it (Have I cheated on her, caused her harm through some means)? Then take it, and try and make restitution. And yes, if I ever cheat on someone, I want them to take it out on me. Not my belongings. Slap me around a bit, I will take it, I deserve it. Slash my tires, key my car? I will laugh as I file the police report. (Course, this is all assuming I actually did cheat on someone, which I do not believe I ever will.)

Did I not deserve it? No? Then try and diffuse the situation vocally, demand her reasoning, etc. If she hits me again? Then I will defend myself. She is posing a threat to my welfare, she has actively decided to be a threat. She will be dealt with as one. Her choice.

By the way Unanun, why did you bring up history? It has utterly nothing to do with the question at had. The only reason I can see you bringing it up, is try and make men feel guilty, over shit that they, themselves, have not done. Your entire argument seems based around trying to make men feel guilty over defending themselves. "But guys, we're too strong! We might hurt them!" "But guys, we caused basically all wars in history!" If a woman is assaulting us, without just reason? Then she should damn well accept the fact that whoever she is assaulting is likely stronger than herself, and she should damn well expect people to not give a single fuck if he strikes her down, and ends the fight.

As others have said, Hiding behind your Gender, is not seeking equality. It is seeking Gender preference.

The retaliatory violence is almost always the only way to cease that violence from continuation.
Actually, my point about history perfectly stands with what you just said. Given men's exclusive history of retaliatory violence, how has that worked out? How has that worked out on average with any police confrontation?
She is posing a threat to my welfare
"Persisting violence?" "Harming my welfare?" You are using anecdotes to work your adrenaline up, and give the trivial answer. "If she was attacking me with a knife, I'd totally kill her! If she had brass knuckles on, I'd subdue her!"

No shit. What are you guys in this thread going to do if slapped? Punched? An average woman cannot harm an average man. Are you going to measure your force and slap her back equally, because you're the master ninja?

If you all think you're smooth operators and can measurably backhand a woman, I suggest you all sign up for martial arts classes and spar with women. I did that in tae kwon do for years. Besides this one girl who was an absolute delight to spar, you are going to on average have an overwhelming strength advantage against women.

Stop being macho, walk out the door.

Last edited:
Clearly, you've never seen a woman hit a man in the nuts.

She brought him down to his knees, crying like a little girl.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
"I'm going to invent a trivial situation where the women is clearly trying to cause grevious bodily harm to me, or has already acted and incapacitated me, thus justifying my own violent response in kind. Therefore, I can make it an example of assailant vs. defender and thus completely remove gender from this discussion, instead of talking about the grey zone where it is a woman physically being aggressive to a man."

Actually, I have. Good thing I was wearing a groin cup.

• Useful
Reactions: Darog
" Something something you're wrong, blah blah I'm right because you're wrong, Bleep bloop blah blah"

Well, good :p

No shit. What are you guys in this thread going to do if slapped? Punched? An average woman cannot harm an average man. Are you going to measure your force and slap her back equally, because you're the master ninja?

You toss around the phrase "average man/woman" but what really is the average? Because it's really subjective.

And it's clear you haven't met the woman I have. The hard women that would put a man on his ass the second he tried something. "All women are frail creatures" My ass.

Actually, my point about history perfectly stands with what you just said. Given men's exclusive history of retaliatory violence, how has that worked out? How has that worked out on average with any police confrontation?

"Persisting violence?" "Harming my welfare?" You are using anecdotes to work your adrenaline up, and give the trivial answer. "If she was attacking me with a knife, I'd totally kill her! If she had brass knuckles on, I'd subdue her!"

If you all think you're smooth operators and can measurably backhand a woman, I suggest you all sign up for martial arts classes and spar with women. I did that in tae kwon do for years. Besides this one girl who was an absolute delight to spar, you are going to on average have an overwhelming strength advantage against women.

Question time.

When is it appropriate (or at least understandable) for a woman to hit a man?

If a considerably smaller man hits a larger, stronger man, do the same values apply as the dominant question in this thread?

And what in the event the man is considerably weaker than the woman?

Lastly, here's fun one just to be a jerk; if men are such such violent warmongering creatures - and we assume gender-equality in terms of responsibility for the world we live in, why have women historically allowed and in many cases even supported wars to happen?

"I'm going to invent a trivial situation where the women is clearly trying to cause grevious bodily harm to me, or has already acted and incapacitated me, thus justifying my own violent response in kind. Therefore, I can make it an example of assailant vs. defender and thus completely remove gender from this discussion, instead of talking about the grey zone where it is a woman physically being aggressive to a man."

Nah, see, removing gender from the discussion is absolutely the right call. What you're missing here is that those of us saying "yeah, self defense, deal with it" are saying that if a woman become a physical danger to us then we will defend ourselves. If a woman were to come at me and slap me a couple times I'm not gonna put her in a freaking choke hold and make her beg for mercy. Also, for the same exact reason, I would not immediately start to pummel a guy who lightly hits me a couple times. Self defense is about a reasonable response to the threat regardless of the gender of the attacker.

It is the size of the threat that matters, not the size (or gender or whatever) of the person attacking. A small or weak person can be a very large threat if they're doing things like clawing at your eyes and throwing knees at your groin and trying to punch you in the throat, for example. Saying that an average woman can never be a physical threat to the well being of an average man (which you literally did just a couple posts ago, mind you) is straight up ludicrous. Raw strength is not directly correlated with how much of a threat someone is. You should damned well know that if you did any sort of martial arts. Strength gives a large advantage in a fair fight, no two ways about that, but lacking raw power does not make someone a non-threat, especially when you're not in a fair fight situation.

Protecting women is neat and chivalrous and all, but you're basically saying "nah, they're all weak, they're allowed to hit men without fear of retaliation." That there is called sexism. Please remove your white armor and dismount the high horse, your white knight card has been revoked.

As a woman, I fully support guys hitting women in self-defense. Surprise, surprise, girls! Actions actually have consequences! Wow, who would have thought?

It doesn't matter who is stronger. A woman doesn't get a free pass on hurting a man just because she's a 'feeble, frail creature who can't possibly harm him even if she tried.' That's pretty sexist, actually. Besides, that statement is blatantly untrue. Trust me, hurting a man isn't really that hard. All it takes is to strike some sensitive spot. Anyone can go for eyes, for example, without needing massive advantage in raw physical strength.

033056711903.jpg

Also, because that one comment did irk the utter shit out of me: Feminists have been fighting for men and boys suffering from domestic abuse. We've been discussing that shit, figuring out why men and boys aren't being taken seriously when it happens, creating resources for them to escape when it does.

But I get it, when you're young and you're just starting to learn all this "new" shit outside of your high school curriculum and y'all are still on that Preppies vs. Nerds/Emo/Goth/SubCulture Kid, Them vs. Us vibe. So aligning your ideologies to the majority opinion of certain popular websites is kind of irresistible and alluring. I get it. But do better for yourselves.

Bing: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/abuse/help-for-abused-men.htm

Bang: http://feminspire.com/feminists-cant-ignore-male-victims-domestic-violence/
"Men are too often dismissed when they come forward because even though we know better, we still have a tendency to reduce people to their assigned gender roles. When my friend told his mother he was in an abusive relationship, her only response was, "Be a man!" When my cousin was beaten by her husband, she was asked what she did to "provoke" the attack. Placing the two incidents side by side, I saw that the silence around domestic abuse hurts both men and women because it enforces the stigma that violence is the victim's fault.Women stay quiet about their abuse because they are blamed for it. Men stay quiet about their abuse because it is rarely treated as a real issue."

The saddest shit is that comments under this shit echoes the last line of the paragraph quoted above.

Boom: oops my fingers slipped 6 for 1: http://letstalkaboutrape.tumblr.com/post/8899708445/resources-for-male-survivors

And y'all know what, nah, I am heeeeeella hella side-eyeing this bullheaded-ass sentiment of declaring being able to get hit and be able to hit back as some fuckin' sign of "true" fucking equality-- liiiiike what part of "y'all's asses shouldn't be fuckin' hitting anyone in the first goddamn place" was hard to settle down on? Was it my slang? The vulgarities sprinkled through it? Is it hard to fuckin' say shit like being able to walk around at any time of day, havin' the same career opportunities, bein' able to do whatever shit without some piddly-ass barrier such as race, creed, sexual orientation, gender, religious affiliation stoppin' you as true signs of equality? The fuck? Putting your hands on people when or if they put hands on you is your go-to response to signs of true equality? Hella sidest of side eyes on that shit.
giphy.gif

And mostly because I fuckin' love visual aids
funny-equality-justice-baseball-fence.jpg

(And radical justice would be tearing down that fuckin' wooden fence and putting up a plexiglass fence so everyone can goddamn see through it and still be protected.)

Like, for fuck's sake, I dunno how hard it is to identify
  • men/boys being abuse victims
  • the disproportion of women/girls being abused by men/boys
  • or that when men/boys are abused it's men/boys doing the abusing disproportionately to women/girls abusing them
as related but separate topics in the same conversation.

Fuck it, link dumping on this shit because information is out there and here is y'all's jump off point:

*** For our international members, all this shit is based mainly in the U.S. so heads up***

http://dahmw.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dahmw_20misconceptions_20and_20realities.pdf

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/domestic_violence/resources/statistics.html

http://www.ncadv.org/learn/statistics

http://www.ted.com/talks/jackson_katz_violence_against_women_it_s_a_men_s_issue?language=en

For fuckin' real tho, google. It might be chockful of opinion pieces and biased studies but I'm legit sure you don't need Google to filter out bullshit if y'all really think you're too slick to get suckered.

Okay, Seiji, my bruh, I'mma dip out. I am too gotdamn old to be dealin' with this 101, intro, elementary, Fischer-Price, starter kit nonsense.

... But I'm not too old to leave one more petty-ass one-liner:

Y'all can accept a tree doesn't grow from one root, it grows from many-- so many that the roots intertwine with one another. But y'all can't seem to apply this reasoning to aaaanything else? F'real? Pff.

---------------------------------------------

PSA tho: Verbal abuse is still abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Furthermore, the law and courts usually work irrespective of what you think. Most judgement seems to favour women.
I guess we should sit at the back of the bus then. Questioning or fighting the status quo for the sake of an ideal is futile, right?

As for "what if she has a mental disorder?" The response to that is "stop obfuscating." We're not talking about mental disorders. If you want to have that debate, feel free to make another thread for it and I'll be happy to contribute. Because if a woman has a mental disorder and attacks me, that's not "a woman with a mental disorder" case, that's a person with a mental disorder case.
Just as in the insect and other animal kingdom where females are genetically anatomically superior to males, so it is the opposite in others. That difference must be kept in mind whenever anyone thinks of striking back against a woman.

Also, anecdotes are icky. Statistics please.
#1: Did you just imply women are genetically inferior to men?... Are... What? Dude? No. :flail: I'm one of the first people who would argue that men and women are biologically different, which causes them to have different desires and which makes them predisposed towards different tasks. At no point would I ever argue that a woman is inferior or incapable to a man in any respect within the context of a modern society. Any woman can...
  • Beat a man to within an inch of his life.
  • Failing the above (due to nature's intentions), wield a taser, pepper spray, knife, blunt object, et cetera.
  • Assault a man who won't fight back.
If you sincerely believe, in a modern society, that women are so genetically inferior to men that we should treat them as lesser in the face of the law, or in the face of equitable response to crimes delivered (as assault is a crime)... I don't even know what to say to you at that point. So I can only assume you meant something else. There are so many ways in which a woman can reduce or eliminate the physical penalty as to render this argument insane, and most men aren't as physically fit as they were back in the medieval age due to more sedimentary lifestyles which means that the biological advantage men have is largely wasted in modern society.

#2: If you don't want anecdotes used, don't use them yourself. (ala: "What if the woman has a mental disorder?) Your double standards are showing... :ferret:
Because that's the ideal society in which most people in the first world which to live? That, regardless of your circumstances of your birth, you are free to attempt any lifestyle or profession in which you can make yourself capable, regardless of what nature or "God" intended?
The average male is much stronger than the average female.
I don't feel the need to repeat myself, so read above.
A cursory glance at history will tell you that males are responsible for pretty much all war, violence, and atrocities through some combination of genetics, culture and society. Therefore, if you are faced with a situation where a women slaps you or punches you, just make a good faith effort to walk out the door before succumbing to your id and clocking her, yeah?
Or, and this is just a thought, a crazy, wild, really truly crazy thought... If a woman is stupid enough to hit me knowing I'm bigger and stronger than she is, and won't fuck off after I've asked her to stop, then, maybe... Just maybe... I have the right to make her stop through any means necessary, rather than allowing her to bully me away from wherever it is I happen to be occupying. If a woman hits me at a party and screeches at me to leave, and everyone else around finds the behaviour immature and disgusting, maybe, just maybe, I, as an individual human being, have the right to make her stop should it not be her property that I am standing on.

That's just a thought. That maybe, we can consider women mentally capable of understanding the consequences of their actions, and then holding them equally accountable to them as we would men. Unless you want to start arguing that women are genetically inferior again... :ferret:

RRppkh9.jpg

Please stop using anecdotes of history when history is filled with a plethora of other motives for conflict, including but not limited to topics as broad as: Ideology, religion, and territorial disputes.
I guess women can't grab lamps, and I guess they're too dumb to punch me in the balls. That damn genetic inferiority again... I guess we should put women in the kitchen where they belong, eh'? Since they can't physically defend themselves, why are we letting them out and about on their own? They might get raped too, so we should just stick them in the kitchen for their own good.

Do you not see how obscene your argument is yet? Do you not see why others are reacting so poorly to it yet?
I'm not going to allow someone else, man or woman, define where it is I am allowed to be. If this bothers you, then move to a country where laws are defined by a person's gender... Like... Saudi Arabia. I heard it's really nice this time of year.

Have you not stopped to consider that an equitable response to force is what a person would normally do in terms of self-defense? If a woman is playfully shoving me, no, I'm not going to slug her across the face. For obvious reason.

However, if a woman continues to physically assault my person, and does not listen when I ask her to stop, then my right to make her stop through any means necessary should be held sacrosanct. Is it in the courts? Not particularly. That's just another fight for equality that has to be had in its own time, at its own pace. Does that invalidate the thought? No. If it did, women shouldn't be voting right now.

Whether you like it or not Unanun, women are just as mentally capable of men at understanding the connotations of a situation. Women are just as capable as men at understanding the consequences of engaging in physical violence. They're just as capable of interpreting whether their opponent--man or woman--is stronger than they are and thus more capable of carrying out physical tasks such as violent recourse. If they're still stupid enough to engage in violence, they must live with the consequences of their decision. That's basic human rights, basic life lessons for you: You, as a person, will be held accountable for your actions.

Period.

Arguing against something that simple and fundamental to western society is foolish. Please stop. You just come across as a white knight, riding in from the 1950's to defend poor, hapless women with anecdotes that you refuse to acknowledge yourself from others. It's petty. When women in this thread are telling you that it's a reasonable response for men to react with violence should violence be wielded against them, maybe you should listen. Here, I'll help you with that task.
If you hit someone you need to accept that there might be consequences. No matter if it's a woman hitting a man, a man hitting a woman, a woman hitting a woman or a man hitting a man. If you hit someone ALWAYS be prepared that they might hit you back. Don't go bitch about that they hit you because you're that gender and they're the other, if you hit them first, they might hit you back, and it will at the very least be partly your fault because you initiated that first hit.
One thing feminists should get into their heads: if they want to be treated equal to a man, maybe they should understand how men treat each other. I'm female, but I don't like all this nonsense about 'double standard - female on male abuse'.
As a woman, I fully support guys hitting women in self-defense. Surprise, surprise, girls! Actions actually have consequences! Wow, who would have thought?
LISTEN TO THEM TELLING YOU: WOMEN CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

:ferret:

Statistically speaking, women are physiologically weaker than males. That is what I meant by anatomically. Also, statistically speaking, men are the sole perpetrators of all violence since recorded human history (to claim otherwise is ridiculous).

If you guys are going to circlejerk about self defense, go ahead. At this point, it doesn't seem to matter to you if it's a woman, or a man, or transexual, or anything that falls in that spectrum. You've crafted the obvious answer of "oh man, if someone's coming at me with intent to do serious bodily harm, I'll fight back!"

You've outlined the white (255,255,255) and the black (0,0,0) but then ignored the million shades in between.

Which of course skirts the entire issue, namely that human history has proved that men are the aggressors by far, and have a much greater capacity for violence by far, which should logically lead one to the conclusion that men will probably overreact in any situation concerning physical confrontation between a man and a woman. Which is why it's better to walk away.

But unanun, what if she's cornered me with a knife?

Well you know the answer to that, don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.