Idlaide - The Rays of Fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trent was a little creeped out by the abandoned rays they passed. Lifeless shells that never stood a chance. The countdown didn't worry him too much, 28 hours was a long time. The sleeping quarters were nice enough. They reminded him of an event in his past. He began to take note of the other pilots. One threatening the chefs and the other running scared to her ship. He walked up to the black haired rich girl. What was her name? Cynthia? "So, what brought you here?" He said casually.

Bringing her out of the logical rant that she was just reprimanding herself about, another pilot approached and talked to her. She blinked for a moment, sorting her thoughts and then put on her famous actress's smile.

"Oh, It was just an opportunity that I thought was interesting. It seems I'm right for it too, since a ray chose me so quickly." She says with a slight giggle in her voice. Something in her bubbling voice sounded a bit passive aggressive.

"My story is probably the same as anyone else, how about you? Is there any interesting reason why you're here?" she asked. She was glad someone approached her so she would be able to get a head start on figuring out the pros and cons of each pilot.

"Well, I was a pirate back on Aquaceles. I plundered many a bounties. I got a little bored and decided to come here instead." He said in a pirate voice. He reverted back to his normal voice. "But in all seriousness. I'm from Aquaceles. I have a passion for technology and the opportunity to work with humanities greatest achievement was too great to pass up." He held out his hand. "I'm Trent by the way."

When the woman got to her, Solange held out her hand and offered up a smile. "It was very entertaining what you did back on Paipas. You had my brothers drooling for quite some time." There was amusement in her voice and expression, but once she let go of the woman's hand Solange took a couple of steps back. She was not expecting to befriend Jones, she had merely wanted to make it know that she had known who she was. More words were exchanged, but Solange's eyes were focused on Jones' Ray, Cerebus. It quite the size and color, very intimidating. A part of her wondered how long it would take for Liberte to reach that size. Was there anything she could do to help him reach it? Would he even want too? She would have to pose such questions when they were alone.

Curiosity was in place as they left the outside and wandered into what she assumed was to be their new home. But the moment they entered the factory part of the building, she could not help but stop in her tracks. There were so many of them. So many soulless Rays just laid about as if they were some five-year-old's toys. How could they have shut it all down in such a way? Her body was tense as she forced herself to keep walking, eyes forward and staring into the back of Fouxet's head. There was no way she could look at the Rays and not feel something deep within herself crack. Did Liberte know about them? When the captain spoke of flying the ships in so they could be close to them when they slept, could she really fly him past them? A beeping on her wrist informed her that the countdown had begun, but she paid it no mind. She did not plan on staying inside for very much longer. Just enough time to learn where things were located and then she was back outside. Back with her Liberte and his comforting hum.

Captain Fouxet did not dawdle in giving them the tour, as well as notifying them about dinner going to be served. Hazel eyes moved about the room where they were all meant to sleep, but she knew that not too much time would be spent there. Once Fouxet had told them to get their Rays inside, or even sleep outside with them, Solange moved away to one of the beds and picked up the blanket from it. Tonight she would be spending her time with Liberte; whether she slept in the cockpit or on the ground beneath him. Either way, they would spend the whole night together. "I shall come in for dinner, but if any of you need me, I shall be outside with Liberte." Giving a nod to everyone, Solange exited the room and made her way back through the graveyard that was the factory floor with the silent Rays. She found her steps faltering slightly as she moved through the walkway. Each one of them was so cold. The sight of them caused her eyes to become filled with sorrow. Would they ever be finished? Would they ever find their own pilots? It was hard to say. The scientists that had offered her this chance had said they were wanting to find ways to remove the wristbands in order to start up the project again. But a part of her whispered that they were lying. Perhaps they only said such a thing because they wanted to try to save the lives of the current pilots before destroying their Rays.

A cold chill ran down her spine at those thoughts, forcing her feet to pick up once again. As she got closer, her wristband gave a serious of beeps indicating that the countdown had been halted. She was close to Liberte. She was safe. "Bonjour, Liberte." Her voice was light as she called out to her Ray. Once she said his name, the cockpit glass became transparent and he opened it up for her. "Perhaps we can fly after dinner? I wanted to sit with you and get to know you. Oui?" His usual answer of a single beep made her smile as she laid the blanket out in front of him. If they were going to speak, then she wanted to be able to look at him straight on. And she was sure that he wanted to see her as well. Once seated on the ground, Solange pulled a small notebook from her the top of her boot along with a small pencil. A dim light came on under Liberte's nose; making sure it was not shining right into her face. "Merci beaucoup." The young cognitive scientist flipped through her notebook till she came to an empty page, titling it 'Liberte'. She lifted a smile to her Ray, finding a great comfort at being near him. "Remember, one beep for 'yes' and two beeps for 'no'. And if you are unsure of the question, then please give four quick beeps." Liberte answered with a single beep.

"Are you pleased to have me as your pilot?" One beep.
"Can you understand me when I speak french?" One beep.
"Do you prefer it when I speak french?" One beep and a giggle from her.
"Do you like all of the other pilots?" Two beeps.
"Neither do I. But perhaps we will not tell them that just yet." She sent him a wink as she scribbled a few notes into her notebook. Liberte did not make any more beeps as Solange scribbled away, even making a quick doodle of what he currently looked like.

• Love
Reactions: Quiet One
Back outside, Max's wristband soon stopped counting down. He peeked inside Demeter to see Yukiko sitting fearfully inside. He would have to have a talk with her some time. A heart to heart. He was bad at those, and resolved to put it off. She might be stronger than she looked.

The French woman, Solange, he saw seated in front of Liberte, talking like she were interviewing him. He just caught the last question, about liking the other pilots, and when she laughed he quickly understood, casually chuckling behind her.

"I don't, either. Not yet," he said, and then put a finger to his lips to tell her to keep that secret.

He walked up to Idlaide, whose back end opened for him and he climbed in. He walked through her, running a hand along the interior. Even inside she was gorgeous. Dark blue and light blue swirls with round yellow lights, like her insides were a giant three dimensional rendition of Starry Night. His cockpit was large enough that his seat could bend down and morph into a bed, and he had a hatch in there with the blanket he needed. As Max got closer a hatch opened, the fridge. He stared down at the merlot he'd placed inside, chilled in a bin of ice.

"No, no," he replied, switching to French as he pet her wall. "Not yet."

She gave a light hum and that compartment closed and another opened next to it, this one having bottled water. He took one, shrugging. "More like it."

He sat down, watching everything from the cockpit. "So what do you think of them?"

Idlaide responded with a few clicks and lighthearted beeps. As a whole group, she approved. Then there came three low hums, one slightly higher than the others, and the hull around him creaked a little.

"Three you don't like, huh? I wonder which ones. You know, you shouldn't scorn the redhead. She's just high-spirited."

She gave a low hum in response. He shrugged, taking a drink. "Have it your way."

Solange's heart skipped a beat as a voice spoke from behind her. Clutching her notebook to her chest, not wanting anyone to glimpse her notes, though they would have to know as many languages as she did to decode them. There were some that he did not like? Well, she could not exactly blame him. Already she was filing the pilots into various areas of her mind, even putting down a note stating which she approved of and which she did not. "Not yet...?" She said as the captain walked off toward his Ray. Was he assuming that he would change his mind about the pilots he did not care for? That was always a possibility. She had not spent enough time around them to form any professional opinions of them just yet. Her hazel eyes did not leave him as he walked to the back of his ship and then stepped within it. "One day you will be magnificent as his Ray." Once she was finished speaking, she leaned closer to Liberte, dropping her voice to a whisper. "In truth, I am quite sure you will be far more magnificent than any Ray that has ever been." Liberte was silent for a moment, then he gave off a low beep. She had embarrassed him! How interesting!

Solange set her notebook down, drawing her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around her knees. She chose to speak to him in french : "Do you understand why I have named you Liberte? It is because where I come from, I was expected to be something mundane. Something that I did not believe in. And so I left. Convinced my parents to send me away from them so that I may find my path in life. For years I thought that being among those such as myself would make me happy, but sitting here with you is causing me to smile continuously." Even as the words were leaving her mouth, her lips began to form into a smile that just could not seem to go away. Sitting here with such an intelligent being was making her feel absolutely giddy inside. Well, giddy for someone as cold as she tended to be.

"Even though I am bound to you and cannot stray far, you are the freedom that I have longed for." Her eyes were now focused solely on him. Did she know that she could be seen by any that cared to look in her direction? Yes, but she did not care. Even as she got to her feet and placed a gentle kiss against Liberte, she did not care in the slightest what any of them thought of her, or her Ray. To her, he was the most beautiful being she had ever laid eyes upon. And she knew that she would do all that she could to protect him.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
He shook Jones' hands without question, it was appropriate for the situation.

Making a basic mental note of all the rooms in the factory, once given the ability for free reign, Greg immediately went back to Pluto. Unlike the little girl that went back to her ray out of fear, he went to his ray so they could create some sort of bond. He was used to bring alone but this whole program was designed to be about teamwork, besides, it'd probably be pretty easy befriending an A.I.

Walking up to the shaded ray and ordering it to follow, both went to the back of the factory building because of Max's orders. Though Gregory was only following orders, if he was given said order, than he would have left Pluto there. It made no sense to what he was planning earlier anyways. "Be right back, Pluto. Don't be pissy again." He told the ray, which was replied with an angry honk.

Going to the nearest bedroom on the floor. He took one of the blankets and pillows on the mattress, then leaving once getting said items.

Strolling back to Pluto, he knocked on his hood, "Open up." He ordered. Pluto complied, and Greg went inside with the blanket and pillow, "Alright, let's bond shall we?"

He and Pluto spent a few minutes playing poker and Greg asking questions while Pluto tried to answer.

Marissa had been able to fly Tequila Sunrise with no problems whatsoever. Their relationship may have seemed a bit rocky but, with the right controls set up for steering, and a mutual desire to live until the next day, the Ray obliged each roll of the stick and responded appropriately to each press of a button. To Marissa, it was no different to flying any other kind of single-person space pod, and her chosen steering arrangement made it all feel much more comfortable, even if others would look down on her controls as being primitive or clunky. It allowed her to feel in control, as she intentionally took her Ray a little lower than the rest, flying closer to the ground and testing herself as much as she was testing Teqi by flying at this altitude. Despite being one of the first to get truly airborne, Marissa had lingered at the back of the group where she would have more space and more freedom, so whilst she assumed the captain had seen what she was doing, no-one else had attempted to berate her for it. Perhaps the old man approved of people that actually tested themselves? Marissa brought Teqi in slowly and looked for a place to park it.

Keen to show off her skills, she immediately found a spot between two Rays that was only just large enough to park in. On one side was a neon green Ray, whilst a shimmering dark blue Ray stood to the right. "This will do just fine," said Marissa as she brought Teqi to a stop, hovering above the spot. "We can just lower ourselves into place, easy." She smirked at the thought of how much it might annoy the captain (and his Ray, specifically) to see her and Teqi park in the most difficult spot, just to show what they could do. Unfortunately, her smile was wiped from her face by an irritated hum from Teqi. "Look, there's plenty of space here," scolded Marissa as she leaned to the side and peered out of the cockpit. "You're in the perfect position, so we can just go down slow," she scoffed, "There's no need to be such a baby."

Teqi responded with another irritated hum, much louder this time, before dipping slightly to the right and shining a small light on the dark blue craft. "What about it?" asked Marissa, letting her irritation come through instead. One of the display panels pulsed brightly, attracting Marissa's attention to it as it displayed a schematic of the dark blue Ray. The redhead studied it for a moment, before catching sight of the pilot's name.

"Yukiko?" she said aloud, as her Ray beeped in response. "Oh, she's the one that's here by accident right? Nervy little kid?" Teqi gave an affirmative beep, with an undertone of annoyance. It was strange how the craft could make such digital noises sound so emotional. "Oh!" exclaimed Marissa, slapping her thigh. "I get it, I get it. She'll never be able to get out of such a tight spot. Yeah, yeah, fine, we'll park somewhere else." Teqi beeped happily as Marissa rolled the stick to the left and then brought her down on the other side of Axor. The pilot hopped out of the craft as soon as the cockpit roof came up and then spun on her heels to point at the Ray. "Stay out of trouble, got it?"

Teqi give a dissatisfied hum in response as Marissa ran to catch up to the rest of the group, finding none other than Yukiko loitering at the back. The girl really did look like a nervous wreck, and Marissa had no intention of picking up a little sister so she said nothing and just walked behind her. They passed by Oswin Juenva Jones, a woman known to any native of Paipas, but not someone that Marissa had any particular interest in. She was a decorated female Ray pilot, and the poster child for the Ray Program when it had been at its peak, but Marissa just didn't care for her. Was she really that talented, or was she just marketable? There hadn't been that many female Ray pilots that had reached the top tier, so Jones had been the favourite for almost any advertising campaign, along with a few lousy movies, too. In most ways, Marissa found her annoying, but the last thing she wanted to do was get caught up in a conversation with her, and, as she was at the back of the queue, she might well end up having to do just that. Rather than risk giving her Paipan accent away, Marissa nodded and grunted as she shook hands with Jones and quickly distanced herself from the woman, moving towards the front of the group as Max led them inside.

It was a factory that had been shut down mid-production. Marissa couldn't find anything else to say about it. She had stayed in abandoned factories and warehouses before, this wasn't so different to any of those, and she certainly didn't react to the half-built Rays like some of her colleagues did. They were shells, with no AI cores, and without the AI, they were just hunks of machinery. It was no different to a refrigerator, or a lawnmower as far as Marissa was concerned. She made a note of where the key rooms were, although it was almost impossible to get lost in the abandoned factory, as most of the non-essential lights were no longer working. She did wonder what lay down some of the darkened corridors, but overhead strip lights led to either the bathroom, the kitchen or the sleeping quarters and that was enough for her.

After Teqi's earlier attack, Marissa's first port of call was the showers. She wasted little time in stripping off and hopping under the first working shower head she could find, letting the hot water run over her naked body without giving a damn as to who else might walk in. After all, she was a confident twenty-fourth century woman; she wasn't ashamed of her body and she wasn't even bothered by the idea of one of the guys trying to sneak a peek. She could easily handle herself if a guy tried to get fresh with her, but she wasn't so repressed as to insist on being wrapped up at all times, or refusing to shower unless she could be alone. This sort of thing certainly wouldn't have happened on Paipas, but that was part of the reason why she left the religious dinosaurs behind and set off to live her own life among the stars.

• Love
Cynthia did not understand what she was hearing at first. Laughing slightly in disbelief at what she was hearing. Pirates? Really? She had been to his home moon before, on vacation of course, and it didn't really give her a pirate vibe except for in the tourist themed areas. She laughed anyways however, to show that she could be friendly.

When given the opportunity, she takes his hand and shakes it with the smile of an actress plastered across her face.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Cynthia." She began. "That's a really noble field to take under your belt. I've had multiple interactions with technology based companies in the past, most of them very successful and well known. Great money comes with that field, it's a wise choice to study it." She starts to explain. She really did respect anyone who studied under a profitable field.

As Max emptied the bottle he looked down at the time Idlaide had displayed on one of her screens. They were already late for dinner. All of them. That he would definitely get blamed for.

"See you in a few," he said to her, giving the controls an affectionate petting before departing. She was too small to fit in the factory, so he had to eat with his wristband counting down.

"Dîner," he said to Solange in passing, hoping the French word for dinner would pull her away from her beloved Liberte. He frankly admired the closeness she shared with her Ray. It was how things should be between them and there was definite love in their interactions. He hoped that with her capacity for understanding her Ray there came also a capacity for understanding battle.

Max also strolled over to Demeter and knocked on the glass. He jabbed his thumb back towards the factory and expected that to be order enough.

He walked back through the abandoned factory. It never ceased to cross his mind how depressing this room was. He was able sometimes to see these as mere objects, scraps of junk, but even with that came the sad thought of what might have been their fates. They could have been so much more.

He knocked on Pluto in passing. Greg had the right idea, but it was time to eat. If he really wanted, he could eat by his Ray. Inside the rooms they'd been given all the young pilots were spread out, some nowhere to be seen. He heard running water shut off and figured it was Marissa getting Teqi's little surprise out of her hair. Max tried to do a head count, but everyone was moving. He thought he counted nine.

"We're late for dinner," he informed them. "However, before we eat I want you to BRING YOUR RAYS INSIDE! I suggested this for a reason! Do it now and meet in the mess hall."

Trent was about to say something to Cynthia when Max called them. "Thats pretty cool. Well, see ya later. I gotta go get Axor." Axor was already in the hanger but he figured it a good idea to visit the ray before joining the others at dinner. He approached Axor who was parked in between two other rays. The timer stopped counting as he got close. "Hey buddy. How you doing?" The ray responded with cheerful beeps. "I'll take that as a yes." He patted the nose of the craft like a one would a dog. "I'll be right back. Unfortunately I require food unlike you." Trent left for the mess hall.

Wayne heard the cry of dinner and sighed. He wasn't nearly done cooking. The chefs had stayed out of his way, but they also had a head start. He had the meat and the salad done. His trademark "Sailor's Hook" martini was gonna have to sit this one out. He came out of the kitchen, walking through the mess hall and outside to where his Ray was. As he heard the beep signaling that his countdown had stopped, he idly wonders what that was for. He didn't know anything about the program other then the fact that it had gotten him out of jail and that it was irreversible. The whole "You die if you're away, too long" thing was entirely unknown, to him.

He sat up against Persona non Grata and placed his plates on the floor, sighing as he realized two very important details. One, he left his knife in the kitchen. Two, his chickadee was still with the slave owner. He picked up his meat and started tearing chunks out of it, not caring about how he looked, at the time. It then dawned on him that he might be missing an important announcement, or two. Oh, well. If it was truly important, he would hear about it later. He continued eating, oblivious to his surroundings entirely.

Cynthia watched as their leader informed them about dinner, and then her conversational partner left. This made her bite on her lip slightly in frustration. The conversation didn't exactly go as far as she hoped, so she was a bit upset.

Well, there was always time for more chats, she thought and then headed back towards her ray like the others were. Vincent was outside, pressed up to the outer wall of the building. He seemed like he really wanted to be inside. He backed up slightly as she approached him.

"Itching to go inside, huh?" She says with a slight smile on her face, her head tilted to the right slightly. The ray simply beeped a reply of respect.

Cynthia had not been too worried about the number on her wrist. She had been avoiding looking at it because she thought it was not very fashionable and did not match her outfit. Well, it matched her necklace chain, so that was good enough she supposed. If she had noticed, she would have seen that her number was restored once she was next to Vincent. Vincent knew this, and buzzed with happiness. This confused Cynthia, but she just shook her head.

"You're kind of weird. That's okay I guess as long as you do your job. Now, come on, I'm gonna bring you inside just like you want." She explained and then guided him inside just like she was instructed to.

Yukiko jolted, startled by the sound of rapping on the outside of her ray. "I guess it's dinner time," she murmured, then saw the other pilots moving their rays into the old factory. "Umm, park?" Yukiko asked, looking uncertainly at the controls. They immediately changed, turning into the wheel and simple levers of her small boat. The girl look in amazement as the buttons shifted into something she actually understood. "Thanks, Demeter," she said, before twisting the wheel to slowly maneuver her ray into the factory. She uncertainly tried to park in between two other rays, but Demeter auto-braked, and a small light began to flash in warning. Then the ship slowly began to move backwards and turn until it was no longer facing the small gap. The girl watched with wide eyes, then carefully steered the ray into a wider space. As soon as she stopped moving, her seatbelt retracted, and her seat twisted to face the door, which hissed open. The seat tilted and the back moved forward a little bit, shoving Yukiko out of the cockpit. She stumbled on the ground, then took off towards the dining hall, aware that she was probably unforgivably late by this point.

Greg wanted to ignore the call for dinner, but then his stomach growled. "Dammit, don't change any of the cards while I'm gone!" He muttered at his ray. Opening the hatch to get out, while grumbling. He wanted to get things done quickly, he hurried to the mess hall from the other side of the factory.

Pluto was lonely that his pilot left him again, and was excited for his return. But for now, he thought he would pass the time by cheating in their recent but paused poker game. It was entertaining to sense his human's frustration when losing.

After Greg arrived at the dining room, he immediately sat down on one of the seats available and impatiently waited for some food. Though he hid that fact quite well. His plan was to eat as fast as possible so he wouldn't get distracted with Pluto, but once smelling the food that was in the kitchen, he was having second thoughts. He didn't usually have the luxury of having someone else cook for him, he would often cook for himself, so he was unconsciously thankful for the chefs. Though he wouldn't ever admit to it. But

It was a bit of a strange sensation to shower with a large metal bracer on her right wrist. It was waterproof enough, but Marissa couldn't clean the skin underneath it and whilst she knew that this bracer was permanent, it only then began to dawn on her that it really did mean it was forever. If she was to live to a venerable age, then she would have to do so with a hunk of metal on her arm and if she was to ever marry then she'd be wearing the armband even as she walked down the aisle. As she reflected upon the bracer, she saw the numbers counting down and remembered one of the basic rules of being a Ray pilot; she couldn't leave her Ray alone for more than a day. That was fine, she could head out and see Teqi first thing in the morning and reset the counter, there wouldn't be any problem. It wasn't as if she was ever going to have a nine-to-five job, but it seemed like a simple idea of flying the Ray home, and then hopping back into it in the morning to go back to work. Barring some kind of extenuating circumstances, like a kidnapping, she couldn't really find a good reason for a pilot to be apart from their Ray for long enough to ever have to worry about the timer.

As she finished up in the shower, Marissa wrapped a soft white towel around her chest and tied it off to one side, before wrapping her long hair in a second and piling it neatly on the top of her head in a turban-like shape. She had thrown her clothing into a storage locker at the entrance to the bathroom and would dress again when she was dry, but for now she could hear Max shouting about things outside and decided to take a peek. The captain was now ordering them to bring their Rays inside and shouting about being late for dinner. Marissa couldn't entirely fathom where all the time had gone, but she couldn't be bothered to fight with Max about something so minor.

With her hair still wrapped in a towel, she hurriedly dried her body and began to dress. A knock on the door reminded her of the urgency, and whilst she wanted to shout back at Max to calm the hell down, she bit her tongue and decided that she could go without shoes for the time being, so she pulled the towel from her hair and slung it over a radiator with the other one. Her long red hair, looking considerably darker now that it was wet, fell around Marissa's shoulders as she walked outside, feeling the cool steel of the factory floor first, followed by the warmer earth. It had been dry before and was dry now, but if Max was going to rush them around this much, she made a not to find a pair of boots with less straps, maybe something she could just pull on and off, instead.

"Oi, Teqi," she shouted to her Ray before she was even close enough to shut off the timer. "Open up! The old guy wants me to bring you inside for the night."

Tequila Sunrise obliged with a neutral hum and opened the cockpit. With a slight running start, Marissa once more vaulted into the pilot's seat and, once more, Teqi groaned and dipped itself accordingly. "That's going to get real old, real fast," she muttered before pulling the hood down and starting the engine. "Let's just keep the old guy off our backs for a bit, yeah?" she asked, even as she had already begun flying the Ray towards the hangar, parking it up as close to the sleeping room as she could find a space. As Marissa climbed out, she heard a low hum from the ship and turned back towards it. "What now?"

The Ray said nothing, and the girl sighed. "Come on, what is it?"

Tequila Sunrise gave another low hum and dipped its wing in the direction of another Ray, whose pilot had already brought down a blanket and looked to be living inside the craft. Marissa turned back to Teqi with a raised eyebrow, "Are you lonely?"

The ship didn't reply, but its lights went out, and Marissa took that as her answer, and perhaps a sign of embarrassment. "Alright, fine, I'll come back after dinner," she said, patting the nose of the Ray and heading back inside. Tequila Sunrise gave a single quiet beep in response.

• Love
All cafeterias were the same, regardless of it was an elementary school, private school, university, or in this case a factory. If a place for food to be made was added to the structure, there was always a glass partition separating cook from customer, containers built in for ready-made items and a large expanse of empty space for the people to eat at. The tables varied, but usually were big enough for four to eight people, and in this case it was the maximum occupancy.

However, nobody had to stand in line for the food at the cafeteria. Max had the cooks set a table in a casual manner, setting a whole lobster on each plate with an array of sides in big bowls in the center of the table. It was meant to encourage the new pilots to get to know each other better while they ate. Max himself had a small table to himself a few feet away, so he could talk and engage with them while making it clear that they weren't yet on the same level.

There were three other high-ranking pilots there, helping themselves to the sides with separate plates. There was Ignacio Paledae, captain of the Archipelago. He was bald with caramel skin, the rest of his hair buzzed down to its minimum length. He had a gnarled, crater-like scar on his right cheek that looked like he'd once been shot in the face, which in fact he had. Then there was Anna Reye, captain of Luminescence, probably the most desired lesbian in the entire system. And lastly among the curious captains eager to study the new recruits was Fable Armani, the man named after a suit, captain of the Proper. Max was sure he was there to make sure traditions were being carried out. Personally, he'd have given Fable the job he now had, not because he was any better at it, but because he'd actually enjoy teaching the recruits.

Max didn't bother waiting as he pulled open his own lobster, watching as one by one the new pilots came to the table.

Marissa was one of the first into the cafeteria, so she had her choice of seats, although it wasn't really much of a choice. She could either sit at the table with the rest of the Ray pilots, or she could go elsewhere, because Max was making it clear that he didn't want anyone else to sit with him. It was a bit rude, Marissa thought, seeing as how he'd spoken about the importance of bonding with their Rays but also in bonding with each other. Clearly, he was more of a "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of tutor. If he could even be called that. Marissa didn't really feel like she had been taught anything, as Max had just given instructions to the group, and she could probably have gotten this far with a printed booklet instead. Maybe that would change tomorrow.

With no guidance on where to sit, Marissa decided to cut down on the amount of annoyances she would have to endure by sitting at the far end of the table, so that she would only have one person to her right and one person opposite her. She hadn't spoken to any of the other pilots, and wasn't sure that she really wanted to, but she could tell that some of them would just annoy her by the way that they looked or dressed. The last thing she wanted right now as to find herself sat between two annoying brats when she was trying to eat.

She walked to the far end and sat down on the left side of the table, scoffing at the sight of the lobster in front of her. "Lobster?" she said aloud, to no-one in particular, "Are you kidding me?" The girl shook her head and pushed the plate away, into the middle of the table, before waving across to one of the chefs. "Just bring me something simple. How about some rice and vegetables? Or even an egg and some toast?" She dismissively waved her hand towards the lobster, "I don't know who you guys are trying to impress with this pretentious crap, but it's not working on me. Take it away, eat it yourself... whatever. I don't care, I just want something proper to eat."

He laughed. Who the hell scoffs and turns away lobster? Especially from Aguaceles!

"Not trying to impress anyone," Max said from his seat. "They're a gift. We pilots are deliberately low on means - money, food, clothes. There's not enough room, even in a Ray as big as Idlaide. We take what we can get, and some of us haven't had a good lobster in years."

Still, it was a bit over the top, especially when considering it would probably be the last meal like this these pilots would ever receive. Everything from the end of their training on would be simple - small ready-made meals, limited clothes and shower breaks, odd sleep schedules. This first day was supposed to be nice. It was supposed to be nothing more than a celebration of their induction into the Rays' world.

"You want something simple, go make it," he added, wanting to see what she'd do. Idlaide may not like her because she was stubborn and even a little violent, but Max really wanted to see what she was capable of. She looked tough, and couldn't wait to see how she'd react to tomorrow when the real training began.

Solange gave a wave as Captain Fouxet notified her that it was time for dinner. Picking up her blanket, making sure to fold it up nicely, she was going to set it within Liberte when she heard the order to bring the Rays inside. So he was serious? She was to fly her Ray past all of the others that were cold? Her expression became concerned as she looked up to Liberte. Perhaps she should tell him about them. Brace him for what he was about to move past as she flew him in. A low and drawn out beep came from the ship as she looked up at him. That single noise let her know that he already knew. That is was no secret what lay within the abandoned factory. "Let us get you inside." The glass opened up and Solange made her way inside, setting the blanket down by her feet. The glass gave a low hiss as it locked into place, the monitors before her coming on without a command. "Come now, I would not want to be late for dinner." The french female gave a slight push on the pad, causing the the ship to lift up from the ground. Making sure to keep her gaze on the others that were taking their Rays inside, Solange slowly manuvered her Liberte through the open doorway, past the cold Rays, and then safely landed him next to the brightly colored one with the red-haired pilot. Wasn't it named Tequila Sunrise? Either way, Liberte settled down with ease and then reopened the cockpit so Solange could get out. "I will leave the blanket in here, so that I can spend the night with you after dinner."

The graceful female jumped down to the floor, giving her Ray a gentle stroke before walking off toward dinner. "Be good, Liberte!" She called out to him as she walked past Tequila Sunrise and then into the rest of the building. Did the other Rays talk with one another? Were the capable of communicating in the same ways that humans did? Did they even want to associate with one another? There were so many questions she wanted to ask, but was unsure of who to ask exactly. Sure she could request some time with Captain Fouxet and pose her questions to him, but she was unsure of just how much he knew about the Rays. Considering how large his Ray was, and the bond the two seemed to share, she was sure that he had been with Idlaide for quite some time. And what of the other Ray pilots? That female, Jones, had not stuck around long enough for Solange to speak with. Once they were properly settled in, Solange would have to try to seek the woman out and see what she could learn from her.

Solange entered the cafeteria to find quite the meal laid out. The set up kind of reminded her of home, just without everyone sitting quietly, waiting for someone to give thanks and say a prayer. Would that happen now? Just how many of them were from her home? With how they all acted, as well as looked, she doubted if any of them were from Paipas. And if they were, then they obviously did not agree with any of the religions that were present there. She felt her stomach give a clench as the smell of the delicious looking food reached her nose. Picking a seat that was near the end of the table so that she was sitting across from the pilot of the Ray she had put Liberte next to, Solange slipped into her seat, back straight, and laid her napkin across her lap. Years of proper dinner etiquette began to show as she looked at what was laid before her. Her eyes noting what utensils were present and what they were generally used for. 'Well, no reason to wait any longer.' Solange thought to herself as she began to eat at the food in front of her.
e would have to try to seek the woman out and see what she could learn from her.

At the female's out-burst, Solange could not help the small smirk that lifted her lips. "I am sure someone else will be happy to eat it for you. Perhaps one of the male pilots." Her french accented voice said to her in English. She used her fork to pull open the lobster in front of her, allowing herself the chance to get at the delicious meat inside. Noting that there was melted butter in a dish next to her plate, Solange speared some of the white meat onto her fork, dipped it into the butter, and then brought it to her mouth. It was so delicious! Made her remember the lobster she would eat when her family would go to the coast during the summer like months on Paipas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.